Heather Eats Seed Butter

by HEAB on August 24, 2010

Thanks to everyone who left me a comment yesterday regarding avoiding food allergies in babies. I must admit that I’m now more confused than ever as there is so much conflicting info. out there. The two pieces of advice that I definitely plan to follow are to take a daily probiotic and to breastfeed for at least 6 months. I actually have a bottle of these probiotics in the fridge at home, but I am so bad about taking one everyday. However, that’s going to change when I get home! I also plan to nurse for at least 6 months, if not longer as I know breast milk offers the best possible nutrition for the HEABlet and will help to strengthen her immune system as well. As far as my food intake goes, some of you said it helps to abstain from likely allergens while others of you said it is important to introduce the baby to these foods. So, what I’m thinking is I’m going to continue to avoid soy and cow’s milk proteins since I have problems with those myself (I won’t lie…I still really want to try Moomer’s ice-cream before we leave Michigan!). Other than that, I’m going to continue eating how I normally do, but perhaps eat less wheat and peanut butter. Also, I tend to eat the same foods over and over, and I’m going aim for more variety.

Let’s see, breakfast yesterday was Great Harvest Extreme Cinnamon bread (dessert on a plate I tell ya!) with Naturally Nutty Pepita Sun Seed Butter and butter + strawberry preserves.

Thank goodness for seed butters! Although I love my peanut and nut butters, I’m going to try eat more pumpkin and sunflower seed butters. Plus, once this loaf of cinnamon deliciousness is gone, I’m not going to buy any more wheat bread.

Something else I’m going to be eating more of????

Brown rice tortillas! Love these things, and I ate one for lunch yesterday stuffed with bacon, turkey, and mashed avocado.

About 5 minutes after lunch, I was still hungry and made another tortilla stuffed with Pepita Sun Seed Butter and 1 square of unsweetened chocolate, all melted and ooey-gooey. That did the trick – I was stuffed!

Dinner was veggies stir-fried in butter with mustard stirred in at the end and topped with goat cheese.

And my post-dinner snack consisted of 1/2 cup oats cooked in water in the waning Vanilla Almond Butter jar with 1 square unsweetened chocolate. Again, not giving up peanut/nut butters entirely, just going to try and incorporate more seed butters into my life.

I think this is my favorite Naturally Nutty Nut Butter thus far. Very sad it’s all gone. :(

So, that’s the plan: daily probiotic, breastfeed, eat less wheat, dairy, peanuts & nuts, and eat a larger variety of foods. Again, the HEABlet and I thank you for all your advice. In fact, my stomach was jumping all over the place as I typed this post. I think CD and I might have a little gymnast on our hands. :)

Two things before I go,

1) The blog transfer begins today, and if you signed up to receive my blog posts via emails in the last week, you may have to sign up again. However, those of you who signed up prior to last week should continue to receive HEAB in your inbox. I’m sure there will be a few glitches here and there as I get everything figured out, and so thank you for your patience and understanding. Also, many thanks to Cory from Zesty Blog Consulting, my favorite technical guru, for all his hard work!

2) Lindsey from Sound Eats has created Healthy Living Blogs, a site designed to enhance the positive community of the healthy living blog world. HLB boasts ways to find new bloggers listed alphabetically and by location, in addition to forums to deepen healthy discussion and support. Be sure to check it out if you get a chance.

HLB-badge.gif

Maggie August 24, 2010 at 7:31 am

There are lots more breastfeeding benefits too! A healthy immune system in general, less chance of needing braces (I didn’t and neither did my brother but my sister did), and probably other things I am forgetting :) You could join La Leche League – great community.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 7:34 am

Maggie, Yes, I’m familiar with La Leche League – sounds like such a cool organization. Good to know about the braces too – I’d never heard that.

Jessica @ How Sweet August 24, 2010 at 7:31 am

I so wish we had a Great Harvest around us. I would love to try that cinnamon bread!

thedelicateplace August 24, 2010 at 7:38 am

i’ve been on a pepita kick lately, i have to measure out though or i just grab a big ole handful and then oops GI upset haha. thanks for the linkage to the community i signed up!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 7:40 am

Delicateplace, I know – that pepita butter is good stuff and thanks for checking out the HLB site!

Sylvia August 24, 2010 at 7:42 am

Oh wow, those meals look absolutely divine and heavenly! Also, definitely gotta make me some of that sunflower seed butter this weekend – hope you enjoy the rest of your day!

Krystina August 24, 2010 at 7:46 am

I absolutely love seed butters. I reeeeally want to try pepita butter because I adore pumpkin anything!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 7:47 am

Krystina, You would love the NN Pepita Sun Seed Butter. I swear it’s like pumpkin pie in a jar!

Abby August 24, 2010 at 7:47 am

I went to school near Traverse City and I used to go to Moomer’s all the time!!! It’s worth it!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 7:48 am

Abby, I know! I looked at their flavors online, and I cannot wait to go!

Meg August 24, 2010 at 7:50 am

Wish I could add to the advice, but I don’t know much about prenatal shenanigans, but I do hope you find the right balance; looks like you already have :) Seed butters are delicious! Have a beautiful day, Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 7:52 am

Thanks Meg – you too. :)

sonia August 24, 2010 at 7:55 am

That is one of the hardest things not just about being pregnant but about having kids in general (apart from the you know, being a mom thing lol) EVERYONE has an opinion, and almost all are certain that they are right. Just because it worked for them, it may not have any bearing on how you live or what you feel to be important. Every person and every pregnancy is different and it kind of irks me when people make broad generalizations about how to feed your self or your baby. Personally, I did not change my diet at all (except for an increase in chocolate milk, watermelon and grapefruit >..< Try (it is hard) to tune people out who are being negative, or who try and tell you what you should do. This is alot like losing weight, there are lots of right ways, but only one way that will work for you <3 lots of love!

Ps you look ABSOLUTELY beautiful!!! I am so jealous of your amazing vacation too! Looks like a blast! <3

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 8:12 am

Thanks so much Sonia. :)

PeonyJen August 30, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Well, allergies are not well understood, and it’s not yet proven that exposing your fetus or born child to a certain food protein either prevents or develops a food allergy. Nobody knows, that’s it. Watch for symptoms and then go on an elimination diet whilst nursing. Since you’re talking about breastfeeding, I hope you can keep going for as long as possible!

HEAB August 31, 2010 at 8:25 am

PeonyJen,
Thanks for the sound advice. By the way, I’ve been dreaming of your millet bread lately. Can’t wait to get home and make some soon! :)

Michelle August 24, 2010 at 7:57 am

I’m heading back to college soon so I need to eat a more wide variety of foods so I can get through the millions of nut butters I have open. I haven’t touched the peanut butter in ages.

Good luck with the blog transfer! It seems like a lot of bloggers are transferring and/or doing a new layout for their pages this week.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 8:13 am

Michelle, I’d be glad to help you out with those millions of jars. :)

Melissa R August 24, 2010 at 7:59 am

Everything you eat looks like great food for your baby girl..in utero and while nursing. There is always someone out there who has a food allergy problem and unfortunately they then scare the crap out of pregnant and nursing friends. Try to ignore it all…no one will know your baby better than you do..you have a natural instinct that will kick right in. Pay attention to it and just love that baby without worrying! She will have all she needs in her mama with boobies and a clean diaper. My point…dont start worrying about issues or problems that you might never have! People mean well but should really just shut up and smile :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 8:14 am

Thanks Melissa, boobies and diapers…check! :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 24, 2010 at 8:01 am

I love those tortillas too! Tony keeps busting me for eating them! The texture is so awesome though!!! The problem with food allergies and intolerances is that there is no answer. No one can seem to pinpoint the issue. So, I guess it is all trial and error. Trust me, if she does have them, there is nothing you could have done to avoid it. You are so great to her already giving her all the good stuff you can. I do recommend the probiotics though. We take them and you can tell such a difference! Have a great one Heather!

Kristy@ KristyRuns.com August 24, 2010 at 8:06 am

I’ve never tried seed butter but i definitely want to now…especially with chocolate! :)

Sarah August 24, 2010 at 8:15 am

You totally nailed my go-to dessert: sun butter + chocolate stuffed tortilla. I usually end up with chocolate and sb all over my face and hands though…no such thing as an overstuffed tortilla!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 8:17 am

Sarah, In my opinion, a chocolate/sun butter covered face is always a sign of a successful dessert. :)

couchpotatoathlete August 24, 2010 at 8:23 am

Heather I am not pregnant (and don’t plan to be for a few more years) but I love reading all of this pregnancy info. I had no idea about not eating allergen foods/introducing allergen foods, etc. But it makes alot of sense. Good for you for making good decisions for you and the HEABlet!

Your food looks great, as usual :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 8:38 am

Couchpotato, So glad you’re learning…you’ll be well prepared for when you start a family of your own someday! :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 24, 2010 at 8:24 am

I really haven’t had any experience with seed butters other than Sunflower seed butter…and it was bleh. But maybe it wasn’t the right brand!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 8:34 am

Paige, I’ve always liked plain sunflower seed butter, but it can be a shock if you’re used to peanut or nut butters. Sunbutter makes a sweetened crunchy version that is really good, and Naturally Nutty offers several different flavored sunflower seed butters including chocolate. Can’t go wrong with that. :)

Ellen August 24, 2010 at 8:27 am

good thinking on the low-wheat diet. i’ve been gluten free for a few months now, and it’s been a really good thing for me. apparently 30% of people in the US have the genes to develop celiac, but it progresses from no symptoms to mild discomfort or intolerance to full blown celiac.

i have found that the best gluten free bread out there is Udi’s– the closest thing by far to regular bread, and they have muffins, bagels, pizza crusts and cinnamon rolls too. do you find that those brown rice tortillas are rollable? or do they break easily? i use some “ivory teff” ones made with teff and millet flour, but they totally fall apart.

lastly– my naturopath told me that if you’re just starting probiotics, you should go on a much higher dose to build up the amount in your body. i use Jarrow brand, from iHerb, keep them in the fridge and take 3 a day.

best of luck with these changes!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 8:37 am

Ellen, Thanks for the advice. I’ve heard the same thing about celiac disease. I also hear that Udi’s makes the best gluten free bread available in stores. Definitely going to try some when I got home, and no, the Food For Life brown rice tortillas do not break easily as long as you heat them first. I warm mine for about 30 seconds in the micro, and they are totally pliable. Love them!

Brooke [onehealthycookie] August 24, 2010 at 8:30 am

My mother breastfed me for 8 months, but I still ended up with dairy allergies. I wonder if she was eating a lot of ice cream before I was born?! Ha.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 8:35 am

Brooke, My mom breastfed me too, but I’m not sure for how long. I wonder how much ice-cream she ate while she was pregnant? I should ask her as I’m curious now. :)

glutenfreemuse August 24, 2010 at 8:43 am

That is one of my pregnancy concerns as well. I have Celiac and I am so worried about the baby having it as well (when I get preggers). I am assuming that I will be eating GF the whole time, but I know that being pregnant can exacerbate issue or alleviate them. It would be interesting to see if my gluten allergy subsided :-)

~Alyssa

Brenna Kater, the Oceanskater August 24, 2010 at 8:52 am

Just a random comment – if you stop nursing prior to a year, your HEABlet will likely need to drink formula – and if you have an issue with dairy & soy protein, your HEABlet might as well. I say this because I had to avoid dairy & soy (& wheat) for the duration of nursing my oldest, and one of the reasons I stuck it out up to (and past) a year was because I didn’t know how he’d react to formula. And the stuff where they make the proteins more digestible is very expensive and still not guaranteed to be easily digested.

Just my 2 cents! Nursing is certainly a privilege, and not everyone is able to do it. But I’m at 9 months with my second, and by the grace of God, still going strong :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Thanks for the input Brenna Kater. I really hope to breastfeed as long as possible, but at the minimum 6 months. I’d love to go a year if not longer! So happy to hear it has worked out for you! :)

Justine August 24, 2010 at 8:53 am

Yet another example of the kindness that there is in the blog world. :)

There is so much information out there. I would be terrified and clueless at the same time! For goodness sake, I’m still conflicted with things like soy, let alone being pregnant.

eatmovelove August 24, 2010 at 8:57 am

Nut butter, seed butter…it’s all good :) . I have dethroned PB in favor of AB – God I’m obsessed with it – especially MaraNatha Roasted..but I love Cashew Butter, Sunflower Seed, Pumpkin’s not bad…just found an Almond Hazelnut …what?!! ;) It’s a problem I’m aware…

I like your plan of just doing less…and heck, there’s way load of other butters and flours to have anyways :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Eatmovelove, Am I missing something? I see no problem. ;)

Shanna, like Banana August 24, 2010 at 9:00 am

I never thought to put mustard in my stir-frys but what a brilliant idea! Thanks :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Shanna, Welcome. :)

Nicole August 24, 2010 at 9:08 am

I love those brown rice tortillas. I eat them a lot! And I am known to cook up some banana with some Dark Chocolate Dreams (or nutella, depending on the day), putting in the wrap, warming it up on the grill and moaning my way through dessert. You seem to already share that concept :)
BTW my mom had to give up dairy when she was pregnant with me bc I wouldn’t let her digest it. She avoided giving it to me while I was a baby and although I can tolerated it in small doese I tend to avoid it only because you never know when it will affect me. Sometimes I’m good, sometimes I’m not. Weird huh?
Have a great day! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Nicole, Haha – yes, I definitely understand that dessert concept. You know I’d be moaning right along beside ya!

Dairy is weird that way. I know I have problems with whey and casein, but sometimes the lactose bothers me and other times it doesn’t. Growing up, I drank a ton of milk, but there was about a 2 year period where if I even took a sip of it, I would get the worst stomach cramps. Then I tried drinking it one day and had no problems. Yeah, pretty weird, but I guess our bodies are always changing/adapting.

Deadra August 24, 2010 at 9:13 am

pepita butter? ohhh I’m going to try! I have the WORST time eating enough calories and the butters are helping and ohh the delicious!

Kudos for planning breastfeed! It makes me happy to see that people are planning to do it! I wanted to with both of mine but had a reduction when I was young so I can’t, despite trying very very hard, I can’t. It kills me to know of people who can, but don’t because they don’t want to make the effort. sigh.

Also for probiotics, eating lots of fermented foods can help too. (more oatgurt! <– which I want to try to make in my excalibur!) and they're wayyyy more yummy than a pill!

Too bad you didn't live closer, I bet we could be friends! (without sounding all creepy and stalker-ey!)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Deadra, Yes, I think we would be friends as well. I’d love to come over and play with your Excalibur. Been coveting that dehydrator for years! Someday. :)

And yes, oatgurt! I’ve actually been craving it lately, and I think I’ll start making it again when I got home along with about 500 recipes…as much as I am loving MI, I really miss my kitchen!!!

Amber at Berlin's Whimsy August 24, 2010 at 9:24 am

I have to admit that I have not heard of eating a specific diet later in pregnancy to avoid food allergies. With my kids, I’m sure I ate a ton of bread and peanut butter, as I was an avid baker during my daughter’s pregnancy (no allergies). I breastfed for 2 yrs, however, and I’m a huge proponent of that!

That vanilla almond butter looks so yummy! I wish I could find their products here…

Claire August 24, 2010 at 9:38 am

Don’t you just love brown rice tortillas?I found them a couple of months ago and love how chewy they are.I made a nutbutter, eggwhite, and tomato wrap this morning…DELICIOUS:-)cc

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Claire, Yes, I’m in love with those things – been eating them everyday, and I’ll be sad when my stash is gone! Your breakfast sounded delicious by the way. :)

Hanne August 24, 2010 at 9:42 am

I think you are making the right choice by eating varied foods, Heather! All the (legit) sources I’ve come over have stated the same thing – at best, avoiding foods that people are often allergic to is a waste of time; it’s an old superstition that won’t quite disappear that avoiding such foods may prevent allergies in babies (old thruths are hard to kill!). At worst, restricting what you eat can inhibit weight gain and lead to a low birth weight for the baby, or lead to a lack of important nutrients for the mother. The same sources underline the benificial effect of a healthy intestinal flora as well, as this helps maturing the baby’s immune system, thus making her better able to withstand allergies.

In other words, I second (third? forth?) drinking probiotics and eating with variety.

Have a nice day, and good luck with the last trimester :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Thanks Hanne. :)

annecalista August 24, 2010 at 9:51 am

Sounds like you have a great plan for your diet at this point in your pregnancy as well as for after the baby is born. I’m not an expert at all, just interested in pregnancy, so it’s fascinating to hear about yours! :-) I’ve yet to try sun seed butter but I eat them whole and raw all the time so I think I would like it.

Amber@momsgottheruns August 24, 2010 at 10:12 am

Sunflower seed butter…I JUST saw that at Publix yesterday and was about to buy it, but decided I had already gone buck wild buying everything I saw, so I abstained. I’ll have to pick some up next time!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Amber – yes, yes you will. I love it!

Freckled Foodie August 24, 2010 at 10:22 am

thanks for the heads up on the hlb! oh and for making me super jealous of all your naturally nutty & great harvest eats ;) hehe.

Katie August 24, 2010 at 10:46 am

I think it is so easy to start to overthink these things, but your plan sounds like a great balance of thinking and doing but not overdoing.

Thanks for the HLB link…I’m going to sign up now.

Oh, and mustard stir fry was my dinner last night too. Chicken, brussels, and butternut squash with BBQ mustard. Simple and delicious.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Katie, Been meaning to ask you – how are your kabocha coming along?

Margarita August 24, 2010 at 10:57 am

I love it how you listen to your body! That’s great. :) I’ve enjoyed living vicariously thru your pregnancy eats. You’ve been having some yummy foods that my conscience mind is “afraid” to even smell! haha

So – I have got me some Naturally Nutty Butter and my favorite by far is Cinnamon Vanilla Sunflower butter with hemp and flax. YUM! But then again – I am yet to try the White Chocolate Vinilla Peanut Butter with Coconut… mmmm…. ;) Actually, I’ll just let you know what my final favorite is when I sample them all. But that was truly a great find as far as nut/seed butter goes! Naturally Nutty is my choice of butters now. :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Margarita, So happy to hear you are loving the NN butters! Yes, that cinnamon vanilla sunflower is amazing, and I have a jar of the peanut butter coconut one as well…however, I’m almost afraid to open it because I KNOW I will love it way too much. :)

Michelle (Housewife in the Raw) August 24, 2010 at 11:12 am

As you are learning, there is so much conflicting info out there. It’s been overwhelming to sort through and navigate my path for my little family. Sounds like you are doing the same and your girl will be the better for it. What a lucky little one to get you for a mama!

I heart nursing too. I miss it at times – for deep reasons and shallow reasons like the cleavage. It was the only two times in my life I had a bosom! TMI?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Michelle, Haha – definitely not TMI. I must admit I’m enjoying my pregnancy boobies tremendously. :)

40apples August 24, 2010 at 11:33 am

Wow I would be hugely confused and probably entirely overwhelmed by all the conflicting advice out there!! It seems you’ve got a good perspective on it, though, and have made some good decisions that are best for both HEAB and HEABlet :) That seems like the best and most natural plan of action (at least from my outsider’s perspective!).

I was just looking at those brown rice wraps at TJ’s the other day – was THIS close to getting them. I think I will next time I’m there, thanks to this good review!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 5:41 pm

40apples, I’m so jealous – my TJ’s doesn’t sell the brown rice flour tortillas, only Whole Foods. I bet they’re much cheaper at TJ’s! I love those things – the trick is to nuke them for about 30 seconds in the micro. Makes them so pliable and yummy!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 24, 2010 at 11:48 am

“daily probiotic, breastfeed, eat less wheat, dairy, peanuts & nuts, and eat a larger variety of foods”–That is an excellent life plan, pregnant or not (well the bf’ing part kinda implies you’re pregnant ha!)

But moderation and NOT stressing are the keys. I think as preg women and new moms, we are so overly bombarded with everything….on both sides of the issues, that it takes a time that should be very happy-go-lucky and turns us into researching paranoid freaks! Well, maybe I speak for myself :) I lived at my ‘puter while preg. Always researching! And b/c I was the 1st mom in my circle of (unholistic) friends at the time, I had no community in real life. So it was all online. Good but a bit (actually lots!) of info and overloaded with info and feeling overwhelmed much of the time.

I think just taking life a day at a time, doing what feels right and natural, is all you can do. It’s what our grandmothers would have done and there were far less allergies back then. They breastfed a lot longer too :) And food wasnt GMO’ed. And everything was organic b/c it was grown locally. But i digress….

Breastfeeding. Read Maggie’s comment (1st comment of the day). Yes, as a lactation educator I can say that the wide-gap latch a breastfed baby must have in order nurse effectively shapes their palate and oral structure with more “space” in it, compared to the tiny gape that comes from sucking on a bottle nipple. Meaning less braces and ortho work for breasfed babies :)

I am just full of trivia for you :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Averie, You know I love all your trivia!! :)

Pearl Lee August 24, 2010 at 12:02 pm

yum! your meals look so delicious. i’m not sure about the food allergies (i’ve never really looked into it) but i hope that eating a balanced, nutritious meal will lessen the risks for allergies.

amy long August 24, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Moomers is SO good it’s just wrong! Definitely a must do for traverse city,but we probably weren’t there way too much. But it’s really along the same lines as Coldstone Creamery, only of course their flavors are pre-made. The flavor their famous for is of course Cherry and it is really really good.

I say split a kiddie cone with CD and grab one of their goofy t-shirt for the babe!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Amy, I’m such a chocolate girl, and so I think I’ll need to try at least 2 scoops: cherry and then something with chocolate…or perhaps they combine both into one flavor? Either way, I can’t wait to go, and I think a t-shirt for the HEABlet is a great idea! :)

homecookedem August 24, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I think your plan is perfect! I also plan on breastfeeding as long as possible.

A Teenage Gourmet August 24, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Your blog makes me so happy. :) I love seeing all of the creative little snacks that you come up with. Unfortunately I haven’t tried the avocado & PB tortilla, but I promise I will eventually.

P.S. I’ll be in Nashville again in the fall. I miss the restaurants already!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Teenage Gourmet, Let me know when you’re back in town. We can meet for popsicles! :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) August 24, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Interesting about the pepita seed butter. I tried making several types a few years ago and they were always so dry and harsh- I see that your adds flax and other things to it- to make it creamier- note well taken.

HOpe you guys are still having a blast!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Deb, You should order some of the Naturally Nutty and then try to make it yourself. I bet you could nail the recipe!!!

Felicia August 24, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I really urge you to check out http://kellymom.com! I breastfed my first until he was 3 and am currently tandem nursing with my 2nd (23 months) and 3rd (2 months). I eat nuts/wheat/eggs and none of my children have ever had any problems with allergies. I also didn’t start any of them on solids until 8 months (1st baby), 12 months (2nd), and will delay with my third as well. I think that the SOLIDS you feed your baby are more likely to aid in developing an allergy than what you eat while breastfeeding.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Felicia, Thanks for the link, and for sharing your own experience. I think it’s awesome that you breastfed for so long!

Ana August 24, 2010 at 4:46 pm

You are already learning this and wait until the HEABlet is actually here Heather… everyone will have an opinion, an advice to give. People will want to make you change the way you do things, you will get compliments but also many criticism and you will fell even more lost with all the information that will pop out.
The one thing to keep in mind when we become a mom is: do what you think is best for your child. You are the mom and you know your baby/child/kid better than anyone else so by all means don’t worry much about listening to every single piece of advice out there because your child is unique and you will certainly know what she need!
I am not that old and am still learning every day, but from my experience as a mom I learned a few things:
- Every situation, every child, ever mom, every body is different, so what might work for one may not (and probably will not) work for others (and vice versa)
Which brings us to the fact that some times in life: there is no real “plan”. When it comes to kids, on feeding, on eating, even when it regards breastfeeding, we cannot simply decide on what we are going to do too far in advance.
Sometimes I feel that people have the need to know what is going to happen, this thing that we “need” to know how it is going to happen and so we develop a plan of how we are going to act and what we are going to do when it happens… however, sometimes things go differently than what we plan and we end up lost.
I think that we (me included!!) should stop trying to “fill in the blanks” of our lives and just see what happens as we live. We spend so much time worrying about what is to come that we forget to pay attention to the wonders we have right now.
- Another thing I learned: be prepared Heather! Be prepared to have an epidural, to not have an epidural, be prepared to breastfeed but also leave your mind open if something comes and for some reason you cannot do it, or maybe you can’t do it for as long as you wanted to.
And when I say “be prepared” I mean have an open mind. Don’t feel bad if something goes to a different direction of what you wanted it to go. Feel the moment, enjoy your pregnancy, read as much as you can, learn as much as you can and want about babies and all that interests you regarding the arrival of the Heablet, but don’t be too strict about what is to come.
- Also don’t be afraid. Don’t fear asking, don’t fear trying new things with your baby. Your experience will be your best learning vehicle!
I noticed that all the things I did that came out right in my life were the ones that I didn’t over think, the ones that I did because it happened to be in my life in the moment , the ones that I wasn’t afraid of.
All the good things that happened to me truly came as my life was going, it was just part of it all, I didn’t plan too much or too far in advance and didn’t fear anything going wrong. I just went with it and lived, and learned, and it was good!
I only learned this thing about not being afraid or over thinking things because that’s what happened to me as I aged. I became more fearful than I was before, I started to feel the need to plan things and got extremely frustrated when my expectations were not met. And when I stopped to think about it I just realized that everything else I had went so well, and all without me stressing like crazy.
I am still learning, still working on this part of myself, and I really hope to go back to my old self, the one who just went with life as it was. Sometimes it is really good not to fill in the blank and be surprised!
I know you are going to be an awesome mom and you will take this baby thing really easily. You are prepared, you are ready for what comes, just take it easy and don’t be hard on yourself.
You are doing all the right things, reading, asking questions, and much more important, taking good care of yourself. Everything will be fine, I am sure about that!
Be happy, because when you are happy your Heablet is too, and you can feel the kicks of joy already!!
I have you in my good thoughts always and wish all the best for you in this new phase of your life! It is awesome to see people who really care when it comes to babies and kids. I have a soft heart when it comes to motherhood, I love being a mom and staying home to take care of my son, and it makes me feel the happiest when I see other mom’s who care just as much as I do!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Ana, Thanks for your awesome comment – I love you, and you give very sound advice! I am trying really hard to simply go with the flow and not get too uptight about making plans because I know every baby is different, and the HEABlet’s plans may very well be different from mine. I promise not to over think things and not to be too hard on myself as I want to enjoy every minute of the rest of my pregnancy. However, I’m already quite anxious to meet our little girl…I CANNOT wait for November!!! :)

eatmovelove August 24, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Oh HEAB – now I want to know what your Mom did while she was pregnant with you LOL – let us know!!

(p.s – how do you get it such that when you reply to someone on your blog it also shows up in their email…? that’s awesome…although – obviously – I come back anyways ;) ).

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 24, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Eatmovelove, When I reply, I Bcc the commenter. So, my answers go both to the blog and to their inbox. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 24, 2010 at 6:08 pm

I actually dont think I’ve ever tried seed butter before. There is an unopened jar of sunflower seed butter in my cabinet, though! I’m just waiting to get through the other five jars of nut butter that are already open before starting a new one. :P

PIP August 24, 2010 at 7:26 pm

O.M.G. You HAVE to go to MOOMERS! That place rocks!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 25, 2010 at 6:41 am

PIP, I promise…and soon!

Meghan August 24, 2010 at 8:11 pm

All I have to say is chocolate+seed/nut butter+tortilla=genius.

Rachael August 24, 2010 at 8:12 pm

There’s so much advice out there for pregnant women, running the gamut from raw vegan diets to the Weston Price camp….I think incorporating bits and pieces from all of it makes the most sense, and maybe cutting down on foods known for being particularly allergenic makes sense too.

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey August 24, 2010 at 8:48 pm

I just recently tried Sunflower Seed butter and I like it! It’s really interesting. :)

Tenaya Roberts August 24, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Heather,
I nursed Bekah (beekeats.com) for just shy of 3 years. Best time ever. In fact, I didn’t really want to stop. She kind of weaned herself. I nursed Taylor (her big brother) for 2 1/2 years. I avoided caffeine with Taylor, but said, ‘to heck with it’ with Bekah. So, she was getting lattes in her breast milk. ;) I think you’ve seen a coffee trend in her blog posts. She is addicted.
Another thing I did that was great for her immune system, and I did with both children was that I used the colostrum (first milk) from my breasts as an eye drop instead of the Vitamin K shot that most babies get. My nurse at the birthing center suggested it. It doesn’t hurt the baby and my children have not really been sick. We managed to avoid doctors most of their growing up years.
I take a probiotic with every meal. Just add it to your vitamins. It becomes habit.
Love keeping up with your baby growth. Keep up the good work.
Blessings,
Tenaya

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 25, 2010 at 6:25 am

Hey Tenaya! Yes, I’ve noticed that Beeks LOVES her coffee. :) Thanks so much for your input – I would love to breastfeed as long as I possibly can as I know it’s the best nutrition for the baby. Never heard about the colostrum instead of the Vitamin K. Very interesting! Thanks again and I hope all is well in Arizona. My MIL tells me it’s about 115 degrees in Phoenix. Hope it’s a little cooler in Tucson. :) P.S. Thanks so much for reading Kristin’s book. She loves your input as well!

pursuitofhealthfulness August 24, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I love the Naturally Nutty Pepita Butter! It was actually my first experience with pumpkin seed butter, but it was awe-some.

{ 3 trackbacks }