A Hike With A Side Of Tater Lovin

by HEAB on August 26, 2010

Yesterday, Chris and I took Erin’s advice and spent the afternoon hiking around Brown Bridge Pond. Thanks for the suggestion Erin as we thoroughly enjoyed our 4.2 mile walk through the woods! The forest was so quiet and serene, and the only other people we encountered were a few kayakers floating down the water.

IMG_5776.JPG IMG_5772.JPG

After our hike, CD made us an early dinner of his almond butter chili as we can’t seem to get enough of it. So good. Have you tried it yet?

Later in the evening, I baked myself a HUGE sweet potato in the oven, mashed it up, and ate it from a waning Trader Joe’s crunchy almond butter jar. There were several spoonfuls of nut butter still left in the jar…way more than I thought. Love that! Also love that CD finally remembers to save those last few bites of nut butter for my jar concoctions. Thanks CD…it only took me about a year to train him. ;)

Why do people feel the need to cover their sweet potatoes in brown sugar? I promise that if you bake them in the oven (for about an hour at 425°), the sweet potato will get ooey gooey & sweet all on its own.

This morning, I incorporated the rest of my potato into a breakfast sandwich…and it was amazing.

Warmed Great Harvest Extreme Cinnamon bread with mashed sweet potato and Naturally Nutty Pepita Sun Seed Butter.

Speaking of ooey gooey, check out the center of this bread. It’s like a big cinnamon roll. YUM!

What’s your favorite breakfast sandwich?

The blog may be down for a few hours today as I begin the server switch. Please don’t forget to resubscribe to HEAB if my posts stop showing up in Google Reader, but hopefully everything will transfer smoothly. Thanks so much for all of your continued support of my blog! :)

Nicole - yuppieyogini.com August 26, 2010 at 6:05 am

That extreme GH bread looks awesome. My GH has cinnamon chip but it doesn’t look like that!

Jessica @ How Sweet August 26, 2010 at 6:05 am

Oooh mine is so filled with bacon and eggs. And cheese. Typical breakfast sandwich! :)

Marisa @ Loser for Life August 26, 2010 at 6:15 am

My new favorite breakfast sandwich is a wafflewich – 2 Clean Eating Brownie Waffles with peanut butter and banana . Soooo good!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 26, 2010 at 6:20 am

Marisa, I must know more about these brownie waffles! :)

Viviane August 26, 2010 at 6:16 am

Your breakfast concoction looks amazing!!
It’s hard to pick just one favorite morning sandwich… I have to admit that the avocado-almond butter-banana combo is definitely on top of the list, as is the classic egg-peanut butter.
Enjoy your day :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 26, 2010 at 6:21 am

Vivanie, I love that you consider the egg/pb combo “classic”…you are a girl after my own heart. :)

Kirsty Girl August 26, 2010 at 6:23 am

My favorite breakfast sandwich will always be PBJ with peanut butter and banana as a close second.

Kayla August 26, 2010 at 6:27 am

Ooooh that bread looks divine!! My fave sandwich would have to be almond butter, honey, cinnamon, and banana served open faced. The cinnamon makes it off the chain :-D

Jillian August 26, 2010 at 6:33 am

Ahh! That cinnamon bread sandwich looks AMAZING!! Come cook for me…and rub my sore leggos. Or maybe I’ll make a trip to come hold the HEABlet instead:). Have a fab day dear one.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 26, 2010 at 6:40 am

Jillian, Yes! Please come visit us in Nashville one day soon. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 26, 2010 at 6:44 am

That bread…YUM! I know right, why put all that sugar on it. I think you are really missing out on the flavor of sweet potato when you cover it in sugar. I think my new favorite breakfast sandwich is a waffle sandwich with egg and mustard! Enjoy your day Heather!

Amanda @ HopeHasAPlace August 26, 2010 at 6:55 am

My breakfast sandwiches are simple: open faced cream cheese & jam, or plain ol’ pb&j (in which I kid myself that it’s more breakfast-y, because I toast the two pieces of bread). ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 26, 2010 at 7:02 am

Amanda, Toast = “breakfast-y”. I concur. :)

Marisa @ Loser for Life August 26, 2010 at 7:00 am

Heather, here’s the link to my Brownie Wafflewich:

The waffle recipe is from The Gracious Pantry. They are amazing!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 26, 2010 at 7:09 am

Marisa, Thanks so much for the link to your waffle recipe. They look and sound delicious! I tried to comment on your post, but I couldn’t find the comment field. Just wanted to let you know that I still have plenty of “doubtful moments” myself. It’s hard not to when trying to break the calorie counting habit. Trust me, you’re not alone. :)

Puppy Dog Tales August 26, 2010 at 7:01 am

Okay, I really need to try the almond butter chilli. I’m so in the mood for fall already…can you tell? It’s my favorite time of year!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 26, 2010 at 7:03 am

Puppy Dog Tales, Me too…however, I did wake up to 40 degree temps this morning…so wishing I had a sweater and scarf here in Michigan. Thank goodness I brought a fleece!

KeepItSweet August 26, 2010 at 7:12 am

Yum I wish I lived closer to a Great Harvest.

Scott in Ohio August 26, 2010 at 7:14 am

Dang! That sandwich looks awesome. The lunch version (with avocado) is on the menu for me tomorrow. :)

Hopefully the new favorite breakfast sandwich is what we have on tap for the weekend. Homemade Italian sausage (grass-fed beef) patties on papusas (thank you, HEAB!) with Ani Phyo’s cashew pizza “cheese” (made with lots of fresh local basil) as a spread.

Please post when you HEABify Marisa’s recipe for brownie waffles. YUM! :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 26, 2010 at 7:17 am

Scott, How far are you from northern Michigan?!? Would love to stop by for breakfast this weekend! ;)

thedelicateplace August 26, 2010 at 7:19 am

just drooled on the keyboard. cinna-heaven. i’m going on a hike with the dear husband this weekend! cannot wait!

couchpotatoathlete August 26, 2010 at 7:25 am

Good luck with the blog changes.

I totally agree about sweet potatoes — I usually just bake them and add some cinnamon or a little maple syrup.

My fave breakfast sandwich: I’m not ashamed, the sausage biscuit sandwich from McD! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 26, 2010 at 7:26 am

Couchpotato, I cannot tell a lie…those Mickey D’s sausage biscuits are really good! :)

Sarah R August 26, 2010 at 7:31 am

Oh gosh, I wish we had a Great Harvest near by. I love a good egg on my breakfast sandwiches most of the time. With a nice flavorful cheese. Mmm, might have to make one for lunch!

Christina August 26, 2010 at 7:37 am

::drool::

OMG that sandwich looks amazing! Must.make.soon.

I like my sweet potatoes with a sprinkle of salt and sometimes a tsp of oil. Cooking them in the oven is the only way to go – nice and sweet!

Maren August 26, 2010 at 7:46 am

Wow that breakfast sandwich looks like coffee cake! YUMMM!!! I guess I don’t really eat sandwiches in the morning…ever, so I’m not sure what my fav is!

by the way, I was going to e-mail you and ask specifically how you make your sweet potatoes because, well, I’m new to cooking and have never made them…and then you told me in your post! that’s gotta be fate… :) Before you cook them though, are you supposed to keep them in the fridge or not?

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 26, 2010 at 8:11 am

Maren, Nope, no need to refrigerate. Just make sure to wash the potatoes and dry off with a paper towel. I never even pierce mine and usually just cook on a piece of foil, flipping them over after about 30 minutes. I eat the skins too – yum! Medium sweet potatoes take about an hour in a 425 degree oven, but you may need to adjust the cooking time depending on size. Enjoy! :)

Jennifer August 26, 2010 at 7:46 am

egg with peanut butter????? I have never heard such a thing. No wonder I get so bored with my food choices. That chili looks amazing.
My favorite breakfast sandwich is an egg and pepper omelette rolled up in whole wheat tortilla with fresh salsa.

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 26, 2010 at 8:11 am

Jennifer, Your favorite breakfast doesn’t sound all that boring to me! :)

annecalista August 26, 2010 at 7:51 am

Wow, that’s quite a breakfast! I haven’t had cinnamon bread/rolls in quite awhile. Looks delicious!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 26, 2010 at 8:14 am

Anne, It was, although it was really sweet. More like a dessert!

Amber@momsgottheruns August 26, 2010 at 8:13 am

Hey! Breakfast looks fantastic! So, here’s a question I’ve been pondering lately. How is it that your hair always looks so awesome?! I’m sure you’ll say that you only wash and let air dry…but on the off chance you use something or do something, I want to know!!! The picture of you sitting on the pot at 2 am with shiny, gorgeous hair forced me to ask! : D

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 26, 2010 at 8:19 am

Thanks Amber! I keep my hair routine pretty simple. I wash it with Costco brand shampoo and conditioner, but only 2 or 3 times a week. After washing, I comb in some Giovanni Leave-In conditionerand then scrunch it with Kiss My Face Grapefruit styling gel. I then air dry and then never brush or comb it until I wash it again.

Christina @ ilovefetacheese August 26, 2010 at 8:19 am

That sandwich needs to be in my belly, right now!

Emily August 26, 2010 at 8:33 am

I like my breakfast sandwiches with egg, avocado, and hot sauce! It’s been far too long since I’ve made one and there’s a lonely avocado half in my fridge. I might just have to make one tomorrow!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 26, 2010 at 8:50 am

Emily, Sounds like it would make an excellent lunch or dinner as well. ;)

rebecca lustig August 26, 2010 at 8:38 am

favorite breakfast sandwich? pb, j & bananas.

OR if I’m in a more savory mood I’d say everything bagel with egg, tomato and hot sauce.
:D

julie August 26, 2010 at 8:40 am

that’s how you know you got a keeper ;) when he saves the last spoonfuls of nut butter JUST for you :) LOVE IT!

i’m totes in the mood for a big honkin sweet potater now!

Michelle August 26, 2010 at 9:05 am

That is such an amazing breakfast sandwich. I like to recreate the McMuffin if I make a breakfast sandwich. An egg puff between two sandwich thins with hot sauce and dijon mustard! It’s the healthy McMuffin.

Dorry August 26, 2010 at 9:09 am

oh my goodness – I need some of the GH cinnamon bread in my life! there used to be a Great Harvest in Dallas but it closed. total bummer!

lifeisgoodwithfood August 26, 2010 at 9:19 am

Hmmm, I think my favorite breakfast sandwich for a long time coming (meaning this summer, hehe) is a sandwich with 2 whole wheat bread slices (I want to make my own soon because whole wheat bread in NYC can get very expensive!), a splat of cottage cheese and some apple butter, yum! But sometimes, I like to reunite with my lover (mustard) and I’ll just squeeze it all over a piece of plain whole wheat bread and MAYBE put 1 small slice of lettuce. After all, I like to have some crunch in my breakfast! ;D

lindsay August 26, 2010 at 9:45 am

oh my. That looks right up my alley. Breakfast sandwich concoctions are the best. My favorite right now is poached egg, ketchup, and goat cheese and toast.

Amiee August 26, 2010 at 10:03 am

I made the almond butter chili last week and it was amazing! My mouth is watering just thinking about it…think I know what’s for dinner tonight. :)

eatmovelove August 26, 2010 at 10:11 am

Wow! Is that dark color the seed butter? I thought it was jam!! Sweet potatoes in sandwiches – that is such a great idea. I love Butternut squash in salads with goat cheese.

I always find the nut butter at the bottom of the jar is hard…?? Is yours that way??

Katie August 26, 2010 at 10:32 am

I’m not a big sandwich lover, but give me eggs with hummus and mustard, and I’m a happy girl.

Marina August 26, 2010 at 10:48 am

I love regular ham and cheese sandwiches for breakfast.
I haven’t had one for breakfast in a long time, but sometimes, I crave something savory, and it usually keeps me going for a few hours.
Your breakfast sandwich looks so great. I adore cinnamon

Heather August 26, 2010 at 10:53 am

i love any breakfast sandwich with sausage or bacon…mmmmmm, pork :)

Natalie (The Sweets Life) August 26, 2010 at 11:23 am

totally agree with you on the sweet potatoes…I rarely use any brown sugar now bc it’s so good on its own!

Megan August 26, 2010 at 12:42 pm

That bread looks like dessert and I like it! My favorite breakfast sandwich always involves a bagel. Preferably sesame. Plus a runny egg and cheese and (sometimes) bacon. I don’t eat bfast sandwiches that often so when I do, I go all out.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 26, 2010 at 12:58 pm

“the center of this bread. It’s like a big cinnamon roll. YUM!”–hell yeah that looks amazing! and i DID do a double take, i thought it was a cinny roll, then I thought it was a PB & J…then I realize, it’s pepita sun butter! I have a jar of that. When we moved from Phx to San Diego June 1 I packed ALL my nut butters, like 20 of them and some of them really gourmet in a box. And I can’t find that box…I have torn apart my kitchen like 200 times and have no idea where. And I am anal and unpacked everything the FIRST day. I hope it didnt end up in a storage cubby hole in our garage,but i digress…I need to find my pepita too!

A 4.25 mile hike? Girl. When I was at your stage, I was having such bad braxton hicks that if I so much as got my heart rate over about 70 I would have contractions. I was walking around effaced and dilated for weeks so took things realllll easy. Real.Easy. If I sneezed I had a contraction :) But I did go to Aruba for a month. I guess I was hoping Skylar would come out on foreign soil. But she waited til we were back home. Darn.Would have had dual citizenship :)

Good luck w/ the bloggie updates!

40apples August 26, 2010 at 1:01 pm

That cinnamon bread looks like the best thing on earth right now. That plus sweet potato plus seed butter = something mighty fantastic, I’m sure! Cinnamon rolls are a relic from my childhood that probably don’t even taste as good as I remember they do (not sure I’d even want something SO sugary first thing in the morning these days, ya know?) but a good cinnamon BREAD… now that could be seriously considered.

My favorite breakfast sandwich is so simple: peanut butter + raspberry jam + banana, on a cinnamon raisin English muffin. It’s very oldschool; I ate those every day on the way to preschool!! :)

Freckled Foodie August 26, 2010 at 1:29 pm

GREAT looking bfast sandweech! :) i prefer mine on english muffins with some kind of preserves and either cottage cheese or egg whites….not much for a savory combo. i’m a sweets girl all the way!

Pearl Lee August 26, 2010 at 1:29 pm

granted, i’ve never had marshmallows or brown sugar topped on my sweet potato, but sweet potatoes are so sweet that i’ve never had to feel like i needed to add more forms of sweetness!

and that sammie looks yummy!

Monica August 26, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Wow, I have to try sweet potato on a sandwich – brilliant!

Love your creations!

Holly August 26, 2010 at 2:19 pm

YES TO THAT BREAKFAST SANDWICH. pepita butter, cinnamon raisin bread and sweet potato. genius heabs, pure genius.

Meghan August 26, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Good luck with the blog change-over. I agree, sweet potatoes are so amazing, I don’t add anything. I just eat them straight up in their sweet potato-y goodness. I am the same way with fresh corn on the cob. I joke around that people ruin sweet corn by dousing it in butter.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) August 26, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I don’t understand the sweet potato/brown sugar thing either! They are SO sweet. Now butter I understand… ;)

Love the looks of the “cinnamon roll” bfast, yum!

xo

Kris

Justine August 26, 2010 at 3:50 pm

My favourite breakfast sandwhich (that I don’t have near often enough!) Peanutbutter, bacon, and maple on toast…..I’m dying just thinking about that. :)

Eating a sweet potato out of an (almost) empty nut butter jar is such a great idea! I also agree with the no-brown sugar. I can’t imagine how sweet that would be.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 26, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I definitely can’t wait to have an almost-empty nut butter jar so I can eat it with some sweet potato now. So simple but so genius. :)

Gaby August 26, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I miss going on walks! I’m loving being able to swim right now but am also looking forward to lower than 105 degree temps so I can enjoy being outside again without needing to be underwater for it.
Also, I NEED that bread, it looks even better than a cinnamon roll! Where is it sold?

Mandy A August 27, 2010 at 2:09 am

Did you get the groupon a few weeks back that was for Great Harvest? I think it was like $10 worth of products for only $5? I think we got a few of them. I haven’t bought much from there but a couple of loaves of bread… and I’m thinking I REALLY need to be going there this weekend for some of the cinnamon chip bread – and then recreating your sandwich! YUM :)

Ya know, I’ve never been a brown sugar on my sweet potato kind of girl – even when I was heavier. It was always too sweet for me!

Can’t wait to see the updates with the blog!!!

HEAB August 27, 2010 at 10:28 am

Mandy A,
No, but I remember that Groupon! I never go to our local franchise as the first time I went in there (and it’s been years), I was super disappointed. I think the bread had high fructose corn syrup or some ingredient that I really didn’t like. I hear from others that our particular store isn’t that great compared to other Great Harvests around the country. Have they improved? I need to check it out again soon…especially if they carry the cinnamon chip bread, and I want to talk to them about carrying the Naturally Nutty nut butters as well!

Caitlin August 27, 2010 at 2:43 am

The activity level you maintain while pregnant is so inspiring! HEABlet is lucky to have such a great and healthy role model.

I would like a breakfast sandwich that contains anything as long as it is on the bread in your picture. Generally, my favorite breakfast sandwich is a breakfast burrito. I’m such a sucker for anything that is put into a tortilla.

charlotte August 27, 2010 at 3:01 am

You know, I did not believe you the first (100) time you told me about baking my sweet potatoes in the oven. I always microwaved mine because it’s faster but then one day my oven was on anyhow and I figured, ah what the heck. And you were SO RIGHT. They were gooey and sweet and so so so much better than microwaved. I apologize for not believing you before, Heather. You are the tater goddess!

Katrina August 27, 2010 at 4:32 am

My fav breakfast sandwich is the protein-y egg and ham with spinach and cheese on an Everything bagel. When I want something a little sweeter, it’s toast and pb or ab with flax. I tend to want the sweet filling sandwich in the fall/winter.
I’m totally jealous of your access to Great Harvest. :-)

sophia August 27, 2010 at 6:26 am

I’ve always wondered why people wanna put extra sweeteners on sweet potato, too. I mean, it’s so sweet enough! brown sugar and marshmallow is overkill!

Do you have a slow-cooker? I just discovered that slow-cookers “bake” potatoes really well…but the upside is it costs less, and you don’t have to watch over it, AND it keeps your kitchen cool in the hot summers.

Carolyn Eats With The Boss August 27, 2010 at 11:19 am

I’ve never had chili before… I have to try it. What does it taste like?

HEAB August 27, 2010 at 6:32 am

Haha – I know who you are. Chili was excellent as always CD. :)

Mary @ Fervent Foodie August 27, 2010 at 7:24 am

That breakfast sandwich looks delicious! I think my favorite is an egg with candian bacon on a croissant. Mmmmm :)

Alyna August 27, 2010 at 10:45 am

Agreed on your comment about sweet potatoes! A man at Kroger the other day saw me grabbing sweet potatoes and says, “How do you make them? Do you know how to make fries?” So, I gave him my recipe and he immediately started scooping up several to ‘try it tonight!’

By the way, I bought my first jar of sunflower seed butter this week and it is PHENOMENAL on my morning oatmeal! All because of you, darling, so thanks!

Caitlin (EatFeats) March 27, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I had read this post last August and have been meaning to try oven-baking a sweet potato since then. I just tried it, following your instructions, and OMG you are right it is amazing! Thank you for sharing your sweet potato knowledge!

{ 1 trackback }