Dreaming Of Home

by HEAB on August 28, 2010

Thanks to all of your for your positive feedback regarding HEAB’s new design. As far as two posts a day, I only plan on posting multiple times when I have a lot to say. Sometimes, I think my posts are too long, and on those days, I will do a few smaller posts. However, sometimes, I really don’t have much to say (no comment CD!), and that’s when I’ll stick to just one post a day. Sound good? Oh, and regarding the comments, I used to be able to reply both directly to the blog and to the commenter via email. However, now, I can only do one or the other. Since many people like to see my answers to other’s questions, I’m thinking of responding in the comment section only. I’ve installed a plug-in that allows you to receive follow-up comments via email, or you could just check back in to see my answer. I’m sorry I can’t do both like I used to, and I’d like to hear your input regarding the new plan.

OK, onto the eats! Remember my infamous Restaurant Rules post? Well, I got to thinking about the salad in that post…well actually, it was more like, if I can’t eat my beloved Provence salad this very minute, I will get in the car and drive the 11 hours back to Nashville.

201008280757.jpg

I somehow managed to talk myself out of the drive, and attempted to recreate the salad based on ingredients we had on hand..which isn’t too easy in Fife Lake, MI!

Attempt #1…

Using the last of my goat cheese from Carolyn (sniff sniff), I made a spinach, goat cheese, turkey, and bacon salad. Alas, there were no golden beets, and there was definitely no molasses for me to whip up a batch of Provence’s amazing whole grain mustard sorghum molasses dressing. So, I simply squirted my plate with Dijon mustard. It was good but didn’t quite get the job done. By the way, I highly recommend cooking your turkey slices with your bacon for just a few minutes as it adds so much flavor to plain ‘ole turkey!

Still dreaming of my salad the following day, I present you with attempt #2…

My sweet husband was able to track down some hummus for me so that I could make some decent salad dressings. Thanks CD!

Hummus, I’ve missed you. :)

So, I made the same salad, but this time added Hummy Mustard dressing (minus the stevia) and some warmed Great Harvest Extreme Cinnamon bread on the side. Despite there being no goat cheese or beets, this plate made me very happy. Honestly, I think it was the 2 big cinnamon rolls…um, I mean pieces of bread that made the difference. :)

As much as I am LOVING Michigan, there are several things I really miss about Nashville:

1) My family and friends

2) My kitchen

3) Trader Joe’s

4) The Vita-Mix!!!!

5) My yoga studio

Other than that, I don’t really miss much about being home as I never seem to slow down while I’m there. Plus, I hear the weather has been miserable! It’s been really good for me to take it easy these past few weeks, and we are thoroughly enjoying the babymoon. I’m just so grateful for all the downtime with CD and the pups.

IMG_5796.JPG IMG_5797.JPG

Hehe, they’ll let us do anything to them after a long walk. :)

Speaking of long walks with the pups, we’re about to hit the snowmobile trails, and then CD and I are off to the farmer’s market in Traverse City. What has been your favorite farmer’s market find as of late? I’m dying for some fresh local eggs myself!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg August 28, 2010 at 7:39 am

Haha…we put sunglasses on our dogs too. And hats. And shirts. And costumes. :-)

Have fun at the market! Hope you get your eggs!

Dorry August 28, 2010 at 7:48 am

Your new comment plan sounds great! I use the same plugin. I really think hummus makes the best salad dressing possible. I’m a but obsessed. Billy wouldn’t eat hummus before he met me – said the color always threw him off and looked unappetizing. Now we both eat some almost everyday it seems! Dallas has a great Farmers Market – it’s huge and separated in local farmers and produce vendors. I <3 the local farmers – they are so proud of their product and have the best samples. :)

Cynthia (It All Changes) August 28, 2010 at 7:50 am

Haha! Our dog glare at us if we do that to them. But they let Hunni put Bunny ears on the at Thanksgiving and reindeer ears at Christmas. Maybe they are getting in the spirit of the holiday.

holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 28, 2010 at 7:50 am

I like to check back to the comments to see what you wrote to others as well, so this works fine for me (since I know you were trying to cater to MY needs) :)

Your poor dogs — I love the shades.

eatmovelove August 28, 2010 at 7:54 am

There are no markets where I am. Told you it was small…but anyways, I love the pic of the “Pup”!

melissa @ the delicate place August 28, 2010 at 7:54 am

i’m actually headed to the farmer’s market today. this egg slut needs her eggs! i hope the egg recall is pushing people a little more to consider meeting their local farmer! this site is a great resource for finding info in your area: http://www.localharvest.org/

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Thanks for the link Melissa!

christina cadden August 28, 2010 at 8:02 am

Sounds like fun!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 28, 2010 at 8:17 am

The salad looks delicious! I love making do with things because sometimes, when you have you use your imagination, you come up with masterpieces! Sorry you are missing your friends and family. I think that would be the hardest for me too, but my family is all the way in VA, so I miss them all the time anyway. Have fun today…I want to go to the farmer’s market too. Unfortunately, not in the plan for today. Personally, the one thing I hate about blogger is that I can’t respond to people by email. It takes too much time for you to go back to the post to see if there was a response. However, if I have a question…I would email you anyway. Have a great day sweetie!

Annie@stronghealthyfit August 28, 2010 at 9:09 am

I need to try making salad dressings with hummus, they always look so good on your blog! Those pictures of your dogs are hi-larious.

homecookedem August 28, 2010 at 9:21 am

I think if you have to pick one or the other, definitely comment in the comment section b/c like you said, other people like to see the answers too. I know for me personally, I don’t go back and check the comments if I just write a statement, but if I have a burning question, I do.

That salad looks great!! Enjoy your weekend!! :)

Nicole - yuppie yogini August 28, 2010 at 9:35 am

I like to blob hummus on my salad and then drizzle on some plain goat yogurt. Kinda ends up like a dressing and is a good combo.

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Nicole,
Hummus + goat milk yogurt. Now, that is a combo I would love. Thanks for the idea! :)

SillyGooseMama August 28, 2010 at 9:44 am

We went yesterday and got some fabulous goat cheese, two HUGE spaghetti squash and some basil I’ve never seen before–pistou basil. Can’t wait to try it:)

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 12:43 pm

SillyGooseMama,
YUM…just thinking of the meal I would make with that. Spaghetti squash with fresh pesto and goat cheese. Again…miss my Vita-Mix. It makes pesto so easy!

Dana August 28, 2010 at 9:46 am

The older I get the more prone I seem to be of ‘home sickness’.. weird..

That tahini hummus looks soo good. I wish I had some Tahini right now! None of the grocery stores around here carry it & im going nuts!!!

Dana xo

Alyssa August 28, 2010 at 9:46 am

The best farmer mark that I’ve been to is in Boulder, CO :-) It is outstanding! They have great fruits and veggies and AMAZING GF foods!

~Alyssa

MarathonVal August 28, 2010 at 9:48 am

I know I for one never go back to read comment sections to look for answers/replies, but at the same time, I do appreciate reading the bloggers responses to other people’s questions in the comment section… I guess I can’t have it both ways haha. Too bad that it’s not possible to do both!

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun August 28, 2010 at 9:56 am

Wow – that salad does look delish! I see why you want to recreate it! :-)

Maggie August 28, 2010 at 10:23 am

I haven’t been to the farmers’ market in a few weeks! Been doing most of my shopping at TJ’s (they deliver so I don’t have to take groceries in the subway).

If you ever find a way to do the email + comment reply thing, let me know!! I always wondered how people were able to do that, but I guess it’s something you can only do if you have wordpress hosting. I host mine at HostGator so that’s probably why I can’t.

Anyway, have a good Saturday Heather!

Carbzilla August 28, 2010 at 10:29 am

Though I know you don’t each much fruit, the pluots have been sensational at the FM’s around here. Also, the tomatoes are finally good around here so that’s a good place to get them. That’s the cool thing about FM’s is that you’ll have all sorts of different stuff. Can’t wait to see what you come home with!

(I will have to remember to come back and check comments, though I always love getting an email from you!)

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Carbzilla,
I can’t say no to summer fruit! We bought some fresh blueberries and peaches today. Just ate a peach…so good, and I LOVE berry season!

Amber@momsgottheruns August 28, 2010 at 10:35 am

A babymoon is such a good idea! So nice to be able to spend time with CD before the baby comes! Max and I didn’t have time for a babymoon, since our baby decided to come way early, but I always wanted to!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 28, 2010 at 11:17 am

That salad looks good!!!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) August 28, 2010 at 11:42 am

I love farmer’s markets. Lately the best things I have been finding are apples- they are early this year, and fantastic so far in Ontario!! :)

xo
Kris

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Kristin,
We samples some apples today – Paula’s I think. I’d never had them before, and they were kind of tart like Granny Smith’s. So crisp too. Perfect combo for me when it comes to apples.

Danielle (Runs on Green) August 28, 2010 at 11:49 am

I love the new layout! And that salad dressing sounds reallyyyy good. Honey and mustard taste awesome together so I’m sure molasses and mustard are heavely.

Have a great weekend!

Mama Pea August 28, 2010 at 11:54 am

What a man to track down that hummus for you! What’s the deal with HOMMUS vs. HUMMUS? I’m pretty sure it test better with a “u.”

Have a great Saturday!

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Mama Pea,
Agreed…it’s “u”!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 28, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I just love your new site, Heather! I know I said it yesterday but it’s awesome! Not being able to reply to comments via email AND the blog….well, if people really want an answer, they’ll check back but I know what you mean. I post to email and my blog b/c I figure some ppl forget to check back to my site and I’d hate to be spending the time replying to them on-site and them not even see it but hey, there are worse things :)

Your posts being long? No, way…I mean they are awesome, but I would never say “too long” and when I look to someone’s post size I feel is perfect…I always think of you and would love to be able to stop my ramblings and just get my posts to be the size of yours!

Missing your own kitchen and Vita. Oh yes, after a month gone, that happens…but I just have loved reading about your Mich adventures and the time there and hey next time you can just bring your Vita and 1 out of 5 things has been solved :)

Happy Weekend!

Jamie Milks August 28, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I’ve been completely lazy this summer coming up with new recipes for my blog because of the miserable temperatures here in Kansas City. Instead I have been going to different farmers markets around the city and writing about them. I can’t believe how much I’ve learned by getting out of my neighborhood! So many great initiatives going on that I was not aware of and so many great people. It’s hard to say which is my favorite. Maybe learning how to roast coffee in a whirly pop!

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Jamie,
I love that idea, and I definitely want to go to more farmer’s markets when I get back home to Nashville. There are so many around town I have yet to visit.

Pearl Lee August 28, 2010 at 1:52 pm

i always love the crazy mints and herbs that they have at farmer’s markets! last time i was there, i tasted a chocolate mint leaf. it was definitely minty and it did have a little of the chocolate base, which was very cool! i think it’d go well in teas.

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Pearl,
…or perhaps in some homemade coconut milk ice-cream?!?

Julia August 28, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I am absolutely loving reading about your Michigan adventures! MI and I have a long history and I was just there last month for my wedding. We actually had our honeymoon in the UP near Manistique where my parents have a house on the beach. It is gorgeous up there! And I’ve loved reading about your trips to Traverse City and Leland and Glen Arbor – all some of my fave places to go! My husband and I will actually be in Grand Rapids, Charlevoix, and Michigan City next weekend for a wedding and to see family.
Oops sorry for the ridiculously long message – just excited that you’re liking MI!

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Julia,
Never apologize for long comments – I love reading them, especially when someone understands my new found love for Michigan. Honestly, I had no idea how much this state had to offer. It’s amazing and beautiful, and we’ve had the best time. Definitely thinking of coming back next year, and I hope you enjoy your trip here next weekend. We leave to go back home next Saturday, and I’m already sad. :(

Junia August 28, 2010 at 5:31 pm

You have to check out the Ann Arbor Farmer’s market in Kerrytown (on Detroit Street). It is from 7am to 3pm on Wednesday/Fridays and it is soooo perfect. Has a variety of different local farmers, homemade goods, and various other stands. There is a great organic deli Zingerman’s right down the street and Sweetwaters, a great local cafĂ© nearby. It is my favorite farmer’s market. (I just moved from there and i miss it so much!).

The other one is Detroit Eastern Market! This is more for the experience actually. There about 4 huge houses full of veggies, fruits, fresh bread, dips, cooking sessions, etc. If you get a chance, definitely check it out!

Hope you thoroughly enjoy MICHIGAN as much as I do.

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Junia,
We are LOVING Michigan. Unfortunately, we’re about 4 hours from Ann Arbor, and won’t be anywhere near there this summer. However, I’m hoping to visit when we come back next year as I hear it’s the coolest town. Everyone tells me I would love it.

Katie August 28, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Turkey, bacon and mustard in one meal? Twice? You are a smart woman.

I rarely go back and check comments, but if I have a question, I do. I really wonder about the best way to do that – maybe respond to questions in the comments, but if it is something that no one else will care about, respond via email? That might get annoying though.

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Katie,
I thought about that, but then I was afraid readers would start to expect answers via email and not know when to check back on the blog. I don’t know – I’m so torn. :(

Emily August 28, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Hey, that’s the hummus brand I picked up at the grocery. I got it on sale 2 for $5. I love a good deal, and I love hummus! Especially Cedar’s – theirs is very creamy and full flavor.

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Emily,
Yeah, I’m liking the Cedar’s, but I think my heart will always belong to Trader Joe’s creamy and smooth original. Hands down, my favorite!

Amber at Berlinswhimsy August 28, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I’m always happily surprised by the yummy veggies and goods at our farmer’s market. This time of year, I would be especially happy to find heirloom tomatoes there—-but this year, I’m growing my own!

I don’t know what I’d do without my Vita-mix for as long as you’ve been away! It’s fun to go on vacation but it’s also fun to come home, too (double the good)!

Maria August 29, 2010 at 6:32 am

Wow your salad looks amazing! I have been following your blog for the last week or so and I REALLY like it. I added it to my blog roll, I hope you don’t mind :) Yayyy for farmer’s markets!!

Ana August 29, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I always miss my kitchen when I am traveling/away from home for a longer time. It is funny how much I come home with an itch to be in my kitchen and cook my foods just the way I like – especially when we go on month-long trips to Brazil, I reeeeeally miss cooking and eating my own food then.
And I can totally understand the feeling for the vitamix – now I get why everyone travels with theirs! :-)

Katy August 29, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Heather,

I use a plugin called CommentMailer — when I hit “reply” to a comment, it sends it to the email address that they used when they posted.

I find that it’s a happy medium…readers don’t have to subscribe to comments and deal with a lot of email, but they do get the individual response.

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Katy,
I just googled CommentMailer, and it sounds like it sends a notification to the commenter letting them know I responded. Thanks so much – this is great!

{ 1 trackback }