I Don’t Eat Bacon At Every Meal

by HEAB on August 28, 2010

CD and I just got back from Traverse City, aka civilization. As much as I love staying in the quiet little (and I mean LITTLE) town of Fife Lake, I’m grateful we’re not too far away from some bigger cities. This morning, we went to the Sara Hardy Farmer’s Market as well as Oryana, a local health food coop.

IMG_5808.JPG IMG_5809.JPG

I tried one of those Shiro plums, and it was delicious!

We arrived home with blueberries, peaches, dark chocolate for CD as he doesn’t like my unsweetened squares, Einstein’s dog food (Radley prefers this brand), Puffins (Honey Rice – a new flavor for me!), homemade 6-cheese Italian bread, a butternut squash the size of my arm, and a box of my beloved Garden Herb Sunshine Burgers. Many thanks to Lara for the coupon for a free box…so happy I finally got to cash in on it!

I forgot the eggs! :(

Once we got home, I immediately made myself some lunch.

A warmed brown rice tortilla stuffed with spinach, hummus, mustard, and a Sunshine burger alongside one of my Babygold Clingstone peaches from the farmers market. As you all know, I love meat, but there are often days when I eat completely vegan without even realizing it. However, that won’t be the case today as we’re having some friends from Chicago drive up to stay with us tonight, and CD is making his almond butter chili which we plan to serve with our farmer’s market bread. Can’t wait…and there may just be a trip to the Fife Lake Dairy Bar post dinner…

I’m pretty excited…can you believe it’s been almost a week since my last ice-cream cone?!?

Anyone else make it to a farmer’s market today. If so, what did you buy?

Jessica @ How Sweet August 28, 2010 at 2:35 pm

That looks like one beautiful peach!

brandi August 28, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Happy Saturday!!! You got some great stuff :) And I think bacon for every meal would be fine our house – you’re not alone.

I got some great stuff at the farmer’s market today! peaches, swiss chard, potatoes, tomatoes, watermelon, green beans, zucchini, squash, peppers.

Abby August 28, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Our dogs chow down on Natural Balance, too :)

No Farmers Market today, but Brent and I have an amazing co-op around the corner from our house, and we stopped in to pick up tomatoes this morning.

eatmovelove August 28, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Guess what?!

I found a Farmer’s Market! All hail the Gods :) Mind you, it was small…but still…

Got some zucchini, peppers (purple!?), and a very, very dense carrot-pineapple loaf…;); followed by a coffee and a few hours sitting on my butt just reading.

Glad you got out – LOL @ the size of that squash!

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Eatmovelove,
So glad you found a farmer’s market. Farmer’s Mkt, carrot-pineapple loaf, coffee, and reading…sounds like a nice day to me. :)

A Teenage Gourmet August 28, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Of course I made it to the Farmer’s Market, are you crazy? ;) I bought Romaine lettuce, cucumbers, zucchini, and fresh figs. . . .By the way, I like you new layout!

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Teenage Gourmet,
Thank you. :)

Christine August 28, 2010 at 2:59 pm

A week is far too long without ice cream!

kristin August 28, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Kevin and I are part of a CSA and we pick up our veggies every Saturday. This week we have a butternut squash as well, acorn squash, regular squash, zucchini, bell peppers, cucumbers, eggplant and basil! I love basil! We also bought a chipotle spread we are going to use on some salmon. Oh also got some grass fed beef! Yum!

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Kristin,
Basil = fresh pesto for me. LOVE IT. Enjoy your CSA bounty. :)

Beth August 28, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Oh yes, Saturdays are farmer’s market days at our house too. We bought heirloom tomatoes, purple and yellow bell peppers, zucchini, peaches, nectarines, apples, kale, mustard greens, watermelon, and eggplant.

I love Sunshine burgers too, but I’ve never tried the garden herb kind. Glad you made it to the Farmer’s Market. Traverse City is a nice place.

melissa @ the delicate place August 28, 2010 at 3:06 pm

holy crap you read my mind! i just posted about my finds today too. i bet your market didn’t have amish folks cooking up treats ;)

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Melissa,
As a matter of fact, there were some amish folks there – they had quite the bread selection. :)

Kimberly August 28, 2010 at 3:16 pm

OMG! I don’t know why I have never thought to put a Sunshine Burger in a brown rice tortilla! I love them both!! Thanks for the idea :)

Have fun with your company! Soup and bread sounds so good. Ice cream sounds even better though. I had a small cup last night which I don’t normally do. I enjoyed every bite!!

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Kimberly,
Not my idea, but it sure was tasty.
PS – Ice-cream was very good. Glad you enjoyed yours as well. :)

SoloSzabi August 28, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Wopp wopp! Green and Black 85% is a really good choice! :) ))
I just had some weird dark chocolate in Germany last week!
77% dark chocolate with tomato and salt…. unfortunately the shop didn’t stock the strawberry and pepper one…

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:27 pm

SoloSzabi,
Those are some wild flavors…chocolate mojito coins? Guess I’m a pretty simple girl when it comes to chocolate as I don’t think it’s perfect all on its own…although I do love a good chocolate/pb combo…oh, and then there’s chocolate mint, and I LOVE chocolate and coconut together…well, you get the idea. ;)

Monique@She's Going The Distance August 28, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I couldn’t go a week without ice cream :) And I’m not pregnant haha.

Rachael August 28, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Missing the farmer’s market right now – touched down today in Providence, Rhode Island, but too late to get in on veggie procurement.
The place we’re couchsurfing has a custard and ice cream store a mere block away – the boy immediately perked up at the prospect of post-dinner rocky road!

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Rachael,
Frozen custard is amazing. Hope you got some!

Amber@momsgottheruns August 28, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Holy cow!!! I’ve never seen a squash that big in my life!!! It might eat you.

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Amber,
Ha, not if I eat it first. I was joking with CD that would could probably make enough butternut squash fries for about 10 people from that thing. It’s HUGE!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 28, 2010 at 4:21 pm

i didnt go today but I went the other day and bought a huge bag of ripe oranges for 99 cents, a big ole cabbage, some super ripe bananas, and summer squash! :)

Enjoy your ice cream!! As if that’ll be hard. ;)

Desi Domo August 28, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Hi Heather!
Just wondering – how do you heat your rice tortillas? I buy them too (I’m gluten free) and even when I try to warm them, they don’t seem very pliable.
Thanks!
Desi

Caitlin (EatFeats) August 28, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I second this type of question! Where do you purchase your brown rice tortillas? I really like brown rice tortillas because I’m gluten sensitive, but the ones I buy always break instead of wrap! Thanks!

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Caitlin,
The rice tortillas pictured are the Food For Life brand from Whole Foods. I microwave them for 30 seconds, and they come out really pliable. I love them!

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Desi,
I nuke them on a plate in the micro for 30 seconds, and they come out perfect.

Desi August 29, 2010 at 9:56 am

Thanks, Heather! You are so sweet for responding – you have so so many comments! I don’t know how you do it! Anyway, just wanted you to know I really appreciate it. :)

Justine August 28, 2010 at 5:08 pm

We almost went to the farmer’s market today, but ran out of time. I haven’t been to one in ages, sadly. Those brown rice tortillas look almost like fried eggrolls! I’ll have to see if my market stocks them. I just picked up some other GF yellow corn tortillas today that I will have to try either tomorrow or sometime this week.

Are you planning on serving your guests CD’s Almond Butter Chili via almond butter jars? :)

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Justine,
I totally would have, but no chili tonight as we ended up going out to eat.

Melissa @Trying.to.heal August 28, 2010 at 5:13 pm

ah, glad you got that ice cream one more time!

and i’m jealous of that farmers market. we had our last one this last thursday. boo.

Lara (Thinspired) August 28, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Yay! I’m glad you got some sunshine in your life :)

I know I’m late on this, but the new blog look is great! xox

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Thanks Lara and thanks again for the coupons!

Namaste Gurl August 28, 2010 at 5:53 pm

A $3 foot-long butternut squash (well, almost)!!! What a deal– you’ll have it for monthes :)

Can’t wait to see what BS recipes you come up with!

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Namaste Gurl,
I see lots and lots of fries in my future. :)

Heather August 28, 2010 at 6:42 pm

that peach is beautiful! and there’s no shame in bacon for every meal :)

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Heather,
Yes! Pork…Mmmm. ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 28, 2010 at 6:49 pm

I am so jealous! No, I did not make it. I did have a brown rice wrap with an egg white omelet, sauteed cabbage, hot sauce and cilantro! I love those wraps. I fight Tony for them since they were really bought for him. He is a little weirded out by the texture, but holds on to them just in case he wants them…I have eaten all but two in the pack. I say, ya snooze ya loose! Enjoy your ice cream tonight!

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Sarena,
I’d fight ya for the last two…Tony wouldn’t even stand a chance! ;)

Jeanny August 28, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Hey Heather,
Random question (after eating 1 heaping TBSP of Almond Butter): Did you eat the same amount of almond butter while losing weight as you do now, that you’re just maintaining your weight? Just a question that popped up in my head.
Thanks!

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Jeanny,
No, but I ate less overall while losing the weight. However, once I lost the weight and figured out how much I needed to eat to maintain, I was able to add in more calories, including more nut butter. Not sure how many calories I ate a day while losing as I never counted back then, but for maintenance, I ate about 1700 – 2,000 a day, pre-pregnancy. Not counting these days (at least trying not to), and I probably eat around 2000 calories everyday now if not a little more.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 28, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Didnt make it to a farmers market today b/c it’s on Sunday here…across the street from me practically! Cant wait!

And look at you…posting 2x in a day…wow, you’re amazing!!!

Katie August 28, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I feel like I have asked this before of you, but when I read that title, I asked Why not? ;)

Farmers market here is tomorrow, and I was planning on going, but after a quick trip through my garden….I won’t be needing anything for a while!

Ann Claire August 28, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I did make it to the farmers market today and got a couple different kinds of mushrooms, green and purple okra, grassfeed lamb and pork and severals kinds of fresh bakery bread. As much as I”m enjoying all the things I purchased, I”m missing all the fresh berries and things that overflowed the farmers market just a month or so ago.
I’ve been enjoying Honey Rice Puffins recently too!
By the way, I love the new blog design.

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Thanks Ann Claire…and I’ll trade you some of my blueberries for that grass-fed lamb! ;)

S @ extremebalance.net/blog August 28, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Wow. 100% cocoa, totally unsweetened chocolate, eh? I feel like such an amateur at 90%. :)

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:43 pm

S,
Yes, I love the unsweetened Baker’s chocolate baking squares. I was desperate one night for chocolate, and that’s all we had in the house. I started eating them by dipping them in almond butter, but then I got used to them all on their own. Love them!

clare August 28, 2010 at 10:08 pm

wow love the squash! i bought 2 of similar size, zucchini. a load of tomatoes and some hot pepper rounded out my farmer’s market trip, and the rest of the day was spent in the crazy salsa making kitchen.

Stephanie August 28, 2010 at 10:18 pm

I got a case of pickling cucumbers, monstrous fresh dill, garlic, sweet onions, a case of peaches, tomatoes, limes, yellow beans, green beans, a huge head of cabbage, and a few eggplant. I see a lot of canning and preserving in my future!

HEAB August 28, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Stephanie,
I really want to start canning my summer produce. My mom and grandmother used to always do it, and I think I should carry on the family tradition!

Eden August 29, 2010 at 12:11 am

Actually, heather, no. I cannot believe its been a week since the last cone! LOL! Lord know if I were preggers, I’d be inhaling cones by the hour!
Sunday is the big farmers market day around LA. I dont have an iphone, but I sure would love the farmer market locator app!

Samantha August 29, 2010 at 3:31 am

What a beautiful haul…peach especially! Lately I’ve been enjoying plums, yum! And on wednesday night I think the wees and I will be enjoying CD’s chili. The husband is out to sea again and that’s our busy day with school, yoga, aikido and bible study. Crock pot meals rock!

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 11:06 am

Samantha,
Can’t wait to hear what you think of the chili and please let me know how it goes as I’d love to make it in my crockpot when we get back to Nashville. LOVE my crockpot – makes dinner so easy!

Felicia August 29, 2010 at 3:56 am

Good buys! I went Friday and got lots of lettuce, radishes, fresh bread, and eggplant. My garden is bursting with other goodies so I got lucky there. I also have about 30+ chickens roaming around back there (with two noisy goats) so thankfully I have fresh brown (and green!) eggs. Too bad your not closer Id give you some each week!

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 11:04 am

Felicia,
I wish I lived closer too…I want some of those green eggs!

Lauren at KeepItSweet August 29, 2010 at 6:51 am

oh i can’t wait to eat butternut squash again!

holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 29, 2010 at 8:30 am

That peach looks so juicy and delicious!

I hope you enjoyed the Dairy Bar!

I didn’t make it to the FM this weekend — too busy :( There is a smaller one held on Wed that I am going to.

Vanilla Swirl August 29, 2010 at 8:30 am

Hihi your butternut squash is sooooo long!! I heard if you want to make baked butternut chips, the more tenght they have, the better ”chips” they form :)

Talking about ice cream, if you have time you can look at my super cute version of your protein ice cream:
I feel like such a kid :p

Have a nice day!

Annie@stronghealthyfit August 29, 2010 at 9:38 am

mm soup and garlic bread, sounds like a perfect meal to me! I went to a Farmer’s market yesterday and got some zucchini, potatoes, and lettuce. Plus some pretty sunflowers!

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 11:03 am

Annie,
The flowers at farmers markets are always so beautiful. There were tons of sunflowers at the one we went to yesterday. Hey CD, are you reading this?!?…hint hint. ;)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) August 29, 2010 at 9:50 am

Cool new look!

At the farmer’s market that I happened upon, I bought mini reddish/black baby artichokes- the guy told me to cut off the tops, steam them for 6 min, take off the outer layers then sautee them! Will try this week. Oh and white nectarines- love them firm like apples!

Keep having fun!

Amy August 29, 2010 at 10:04 am

I went to the farmers market yesterday and I bought a “snack” size buy bag of kettle corn, 3 peaches, and one honey stick. Sadly, while I am away at school I can’t buy a lot of produce since it goes bad before I have time to eat it.

I hope you like the Honey Rice flavor of the Puffins because I recently tried them and found them to be way too sweet.

Also those sunshine burgers look awesome!

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 10:57 am

Amy, way too sweet huh? Haven’t tried them yet, but maybe if I mix the Puffins with an unsweetened cereal, it wouldn’t taste like sugar overkill. Thanks for the heads up.

Erin August 29, 2010 at 11:48 am

We were at the TC farmer’s market yesterday too! We got there fairly late, but in time to buy a trough of gorgeous herbs (to replace my lame herbs back in Nashville;-) and some Creation Soaps lavender cream and pine soap (their products are awesome- they also have a little shop at the Grand Traverse Commons (which used to be an insane asylum!)
We headed out to Leland after that and went swimming at Van’s Beach- one of the best little beaches. I can’t believe how warm Lake MI is right now!
Then I broke my Primal diet and had a sundae (I’m still eschewing the gluten and I begrudgingly passed up a donut at the Covered Wagon market in Lake Leelanau- SO HARD, since they have amazing little cake donuts. We don’t have great donuts in the South like that!)
I can’t believe how warm Lake MI is right now!

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Erin,
Ahhh, so fun you’re here. I thought about emailing you, but I figured you wouldn’t be in Traverse City until late on Saturday. LOVED the Farmer’s Mkt, and we went hiking around Brown Bridge Pond the other day. So pretty. Van’s Beach? I don’t think we’ve been there, but I loved Leland – one of my favorites out of all the little towns that we’ve visited. Also we went to Grand Traverse Commons – such a neat assortment of shops. Can’t believe it used to be an insane asylum…however, I almost did go crazy in that yoga store. Hehe, Chris had to practically drag me out of there!

Covered Wagon – I must go there, maybe not this year, but definitely next summer. I think we’re definitely coming back up to Michigan as we’ve had the best time. How long are you going to be here?

Ana August 29, 2010 at 1:12 pm

I love Farmer’s Market!! That is one of the many wonderful things of summer time around here, the FM are just overflowing with delicious produce! I love fresh peaches too, your wrap plate looks really good!

Meghan August 29, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I went to a farmers stand today (at a rest stop on the highway). They have farmers stands at all the highway rest stops here during the summer (good job massachusetts) and got corn on the cob and yellow peppers. I cannot wait to cook them up.

Andrea August 29, 2010 at 8:37 pm

No farmer’s market this Sunday, but i did stop at the local Organic World to pick up some lovely Organic Peanut Butter; YUM!

HEAB August 30, 2010 at 7:20 am

Andrea,
Yum indeed. :)

Melissa Miller August 31, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Is that a squash or a baseball bat? LOL.

PS– swooning over those peaches right now.

HEAB August 31, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Melissa,
I’m not quite sure. I think it’s a squash, but I might feel differently when I try to cut into it tomorrow. The plan is to make fries…however, I don’t think I have enough cookie sheets! :)

Kathryn September 4, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Saw your piece on that fabulous ice cream store. If I could I’d make a trip to Michigan just to get ice cream, it’s my addiction. When there’s IC in the freezer I’m happy. Love farmers’ mkts, grew up eating from Seattle Public Mkt.
Grits, grits . . . good from B. L, & dinner. Love new format.

HEAB September 4, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Kathryn,
Trust me…it would totally be worth the trip! :) I love Pike’s Place Market…such an amazing place. Ate the best Honeycrisp apple of my life while there.