My New Favorite Hamburger Topping

by HEAB on August 29, 2010

My dad is a total meat and potatoes guy.

Me and my dad

He doesn’t branch out much when it comes to food, and although he’s always happy to try some of my crazy kitchen concoctions, he’d much rather sit down to a grilled cheese sandwich with a chocolate milk shake. So, when we go out to eat…well…let’s just say we have different tastes in restaurants. One of my favorite stories (and he laughs at this one too) was when my family got together for Mother’s Day at The Yellow Porch, a quaint little restaurant here in Nashville, which according to my dad has quite a fancy menu. Anyway, one of the specials for the evening was grilled Mahi Mahi with peanut sauce. However, my dad proceeded to order the maui maui with peanut butter, and not even our waiter could keep a straight face. Hehe, yep, that’s my dad, and I’d like to dedicate the following meal to him. Love you papa! :)

When I asked all of you for your most unusual nut butter combos , Ashley told me the only way her parents could ever get her to eat a hamburger growing up was to top it with peanut butter. At first I thought it sounded pretty odd, but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to try it. So, a few nights ago, I made myself a hamburger patty and sauteed some chopped veggies in butter. I then topped the hamburger with Trader Joe’s crunchy raw almond butter and served my dinner atop a bed of spinach. Ashley, your parents were really onto something as I think even my dad would have enjoyed my “peanut butter hamburger”…minus the veggies of course…and perhaps with a big bun, fries, and a milkshake. :)

Do you think restaurants will ever offer nut butter as a hamburger topping? I definitely would at HEAB’s Place!

Michigan Ice-Cream adventure of the week…

Last night, we had a great time with our friends from Chicago, Travis and Jessica. So good to see them, and after dinner, we all walked over to the Fife Lake Dairy Bar. I promised reader Carolyn that before I left to go back home to Nashville, I would order an apple pie flurry in her honor, which is basically soft serve ice-cream mixed with Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal and topped with whipped cream. Carolyn, it was delicious, and my only complaint was that it was too small! I’m thinking of asking the Dairy Bar folks to make me a Puffins flurry before I go. Think they would?

Enjoy your Sunday, and for those of you who missed this post, I am no longer able to answer your comments via email. So, if you leave a question in the comment section below, please check the box that will notify you of follow-up comments via email or simply check the blog again later. Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience! Edited to Add: I have removed the notify me of follow-up comment check box and installed a plug in that will email the commenter when I have repsonded. Thanks for the suggestion Katy! :)

Chocolate Covered Katie August 29, 2010 at 10:50 am

HEAB!! Your new blog looks even better than the old! I didn’t know that was possible! And your smooth transfer gives me hope, because I’m in the process of moving mine… and I’m so nervous that I’ll lose all my readers and then people will forget to re-subscribe!

But, like I said, your beautiful results give me hope. Not that my blog can ever hope to be as awesome-possum as yours… You set a high standard! :) :)

Oh, and when I read your title and then saw the first photo, I was like “Wha?? Her dad is her favorite burger topping?” Oops… :)

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Thanks so much Katie, and I bet the all new CCK is going to look amazing. Don’t be scared! I’ve heard about people losing subscribers when transferring to self hosting from Blogger but not from Wordpress. Just keep telling your readers to resubscribe in your next few posts just in case, as I know none of them would want to miss your posts! Love you. :)

Melanie August 29, 2010 at 10:53 am

The town my college is in has a bar/restaurant that serves a peanut butter cheeseburger. It has been around forever and is always a crowd pleaser!

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Melanie,
Yeah, I bet college kids would go crazy over a pb cheeseburger!

christina cadden August 29, 2010 at 10:54 am

Hmm, interesting topping. Not sure I am daring enough to try that!

Dorry August 29, 2010 at 11:00 am

LOVE that photo of you and your dad – just adorable. Cinnamon toast crunch is Billy’s favorite – I think I might need to recreate that apple pie flurry for him!

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Dorry,
Thanks so much, and yes, make that flurry for Billy. It was so good – they didn’t totally obliterate the cereal like most flurry/blizzard treats tend to do. There were big old chunks of it throughout…I want another one!

homecookedem August 29, 2010 at 11:02 am

Cute story about your dad and the “peanut butter!” :) Made me giggle out loud! ;)

Carbzilla August 29, 2010 at 11:07 am

We have a place here called King’s Hardware that has a peanut butter topped burger called The After School Special. Chris has had it and said it was pretty good. He did not add cheese though as “that would be weird.”

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Carb,
Again, pb burgers seem to be in every region of the country, but the South. I’m so changing that!

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad August 29, 2010 at 11:19 am

If you and your dad are ever in NY together I’m taking you to Souen for Squash Tofu – which is kabocha and tofu smothered in miso-tahini sauce (but it tastes just like peanut butter).

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Maggie,
Oh gosh, I don’t know about that. The one and only time I made tofu for my dad was my first attempt at homemade Indian food, and he asked what the big white slimy booger pieces were…still makes me laugh whenever I think of that meal! However, I would definitely try it. :)

A Teenage Gourmet August 29, 2010 at 11:22 am

Follow up comments via e-mail are one of my most favorite things about your blog! :)

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Teenage Gourmet,
I know – I’m working on finding a way to make it possible once again, but my new hosting site is not making it easy. Surely, there is a way. CD is on it!

Anna August 29, 2010 at 11:37 am

Shake Shack in NYC offers (on special occasions only) a bacon cheeseburger with peanut butter. It’s really messy!

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Anna,
Messy but delicious I bet! :)

Evan Thomas August 29, 2010 at 11:42 am

Oh! That reminds me once I had peanut butter with a bison burger, and you’re right! It’s sooooo good.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 29, 2010 at 11:43 am

See you definitely find greatness through creativity! You know, I and know this is going to shock you, I have never done peanut butter (or any nut butter) on a savory dish. I am not a fan of sweet and sour (or savory) and I fear that I will ruin the meal. I guess I really need to get over my fears. Enjoy your Sunday Heather!

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Sarena,
I am quite shocked, and yes, you need to get over that fear and move on as sweet and savory combos are just too good! Please try it…just for me. :)

Tabitha August 29, 2010 at 11:45 am

Hee hee, both of you are glowing in that pic! I must try that, I’m always forcing nut butters oto hubs, I just read your idea out to him, he thinks we’re both nuts!

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Tabitha,
I am pretty nutty, but tell your husband he should try it! :)

Sonia August 29, 2010 at 11:54 am

Heather, I would have thought that nut butter on savory food sounded super odd, but I made an African pineapple and peanut stew last night which did away with any apprehension about that :-D

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Sonia,
Yeah, I think that stew would have caused me to have a change of heart as well. :)

eatmovelove August 29, 2010 at 11:54 am

I’m not surprised – is there anything PB or a nut butter doesn’t go with? That ice cream sounds great with the cereal – creative!

lindsay August 29, 2010 at 11:58 am

just add some crispy bacon to that burger and then you’ve got it made!!

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Lindsay,
Haha, now you’re talking! ;)

Pearl Lee August 29, 2010 at 12:01 pm

now i’m tempted to eat a veggie burger with some nut butter. do you think only certain nut butters work (or certain brands cause some have added sugar), or would any be okay?

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Pearl,
I would definitely stick with the unsweetened plain nut butters…although I bet some PB & Co Mighty Maple would taste quite good atop a veggie burger!

holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 29, 2010 at 12:09 pm

PB on hamburger does sound weird, but I agree with others who said that PB goes well on anything!

Your dad is so cute, he sounds like my dad. He’d order the Maui Maui with Peanut Butter :) But instead of fries and milkshake, my dad would get fries and a big ole root beer float :)

Kayla @ Let's Live Wholesome August 29, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Actually, we have a burger here in Missouri called the Goober burger, which is known across the state! It’s just a plain burger topped with peanut butter. They serve it at Wheel Inn diner: http://www.yelp.com/biz/wheel-inn-sedalia-2

I’ve never had it, but I’d imagine PB on anything is delicious :-)

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Kayla,
Why aren’t they making PB burgers in the South?!? I’m going on a PB burger campaign! Honestly, I think if I asked for PB as a burger topping in Nashville, I would get some pretty strange looks.

melissa @ the delicate place August 29, 2010 at 12:17 pm

yum that flurry sounds tasty! my dad is the exact same way, they are patterned and like the basics. i took my parents to a french place and they were determined to hate it since it was too “fancy” let’s just say they walked out having the best meal they’ve had all year! :) i try to push them to eat new things

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Melissa,
Yeah, I try to do the same thing with my dad. We need to broaden their palates.

Sarah L. August 29, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I can’t remember what they’re called but peanut butter bacon cheeseburgers are pretty common in burger shops here in southwestern Ontario.

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Sarah,
Leave it to the Canadians – brilliant! ;)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 29, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Peanut butter actually sounds really good as a burger topping! I’ll definitely have to give it a try. With faux meat though :P

Caitlin (EatFeats) August 29, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Hah my father is the same way. When he comes home from work, he sometimes eats two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches–Skippy peanut butter and Smucker’s jelly–with chocolate milk. Gotta appreciate the simple things in life!

My boyfriend eats peanut butter with eggs most mornings, so I may suggest this pburger creation to him!

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Caitlin,
I think your boyfriend would love it!

rebecca lustig August 29, 2010 at 1:04 pm

i’m pretty sure you could put pb on anything. and everything. no shame, girl, no shame!

Ana August 29, 2010 at 1:09 pm

The apple flurry sounds good! Let us know if they do make you the puffins flurry, I would definitely try and ask them!
Really nice to see a post about your family, I only see mine once a year and I miss my sister, mom, and dad quite a bit!

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Ana, That flurry was really good, and I’m so having them make me a Puffins one before going home! :)

Carolyn August 29, 2010 at 1:17 pm

OMG you have got to take your favorite add ins over to the dairy bar. The owner was so sweet to us and even came out of the little building to take our birthday picture. Was very concerned to get a good shot! I bet she would do anything for you (but wear a pregnancy top and work the craving thing, just in case )

For you..PB Pufflurry!! Or a Vaja-oothie…!!!

For CD take cooked bacon.. She probably has a deep fryer in that little place… dip bacon in cake batter (or a corn dog batter) then deep fry it and melt dark chocolate all over it.. and a few sprinkles cause it is a cone shop after all..

Leave Michigan with a bang.. ;-)

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Carolyn,
CD and I love you so. :)

kayla August 29, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Interesting combo!! I will have to try that sometime when my roommates are gone lol :D Hope you had a good weekend Heather!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 29, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Ok so the last picture of you with your friends, you’re like this lovely, wonderful, amazing bundle of GLOWING ENERGY! It’s just jumping off the screen! I am sooo happy for you, you’re just looking amazing at like what, 30ish weeks?

Must be all that mahi and PB that’s making everyone in the family look so good :) CUTE story!!

xoxo

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Haha – thanks Averie. 29 weeks and counting. :)

Laura August 29, 2010 at 2:04 pm

As a child, I absolutely HATED peanut butter….. in fact, i’m not sure if I hated it…i just never had it and was unwilling to try it..but now……well, lets just say its a completely different story! The combo of hamburgers and nutbutter had never, ever occurred to me before..but i’m being tempted! Do you think it wouldbe really disgusting if i added on cheese to it too?

You look so happy and glowing… I know I say this on every single post…..but….you really are the picture of health!! xx

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Thanks so much Laura, and no I don’t think it would be really disgusting to add cheese – although some cheeses might taste better than others. Perhaps a little melted feta or goat cheese?

vanillasugar August 29, 2010 at 2:08 pm

i didn’t realize you lived in TN. one of my BFF’s opened her own restaurant in memphis. it’s called Fuel. fuelcafememphis.com
i think, no, i am certain you would dig this place it’s all about humanely raised meats, organic foods, all natural, homemade, etc… you should check it out.
tell carrie i sent you…she is a love.

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Vanillasugar,
OK, next time I’m in Memphis, I’m so there as Fuel definitely sounds like a place I would love! Thanks for the recommendation!

Sarah August 29, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Peanut butter is actually a (somewhat) common topping, including its availability in a variety of restaurants. As for me, I grew up copycatting the way I often saw *my* dad eating his burgers – topped with peanut butter and dill pickle slices, on whole wheat bread! An acquired taste, perhaps, but we both liked it :)

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Sarah,
PB is not very common as a topping in the South. I think I need to make it my mission to change that. ;)

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) August 29, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I would have never thought to try that combo, but it looks fantastic!

And that ice cream is so making me drool :D

xo
Kris

Emily August 29, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I think almond butter burger would be great! I did that last year, actually. I spread the almond butter on the bun, actually, and then I topped the burger with grilled peaches, some type of cheese, basil, balsamic. I think. I can’t remember.

I want that apple pie flurry! What a great idea!

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Emily,
Totally sounds like my kind of my burger! I’d trade you one apple flurry for it. :)

Amy B @ Second City Randomness August 29, 2010 at 3:12 pm

My dad is totally the same way. Totally…

I think he’s been eating the same 15 dinners all of his life. He’s always willing to try something if I decide to cook, but yeah… meat and potatoes. And restaurants are hard, because we both love going to new places, but he (and my mom) really won’t deviate much from the standard American Grille food. *Sigh…

Heather August 29, 2010 at 3:44 pm

i was really scared about the PB burger, but if you say it’s good i totally believe you! yum!

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Heather,
Don’t be scared!

katie August 29, 2010 at 3:47 pm

That sounds like something my dad would say, but he would probably not even branch out away from lake fish to get something from the ocean! and he hates peanut butter. I know, but I’ve forgiven him for it. :)

Rachael August 29, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Actually, there is a place in Costa Mesa, CA (something Omlette Parlor) that offers Skippy Burgers. Just a plain ol’ hamburger plus peanut butter and pickles…I never partook, but you might be on to something!

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Rachael,
Yes, according to other commenters, PB hamburgers are quite common around the U.S., but not in the South. However, I’m going to change that! ;)

Pure2raw twins August 29, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Love it! I miss peanut sometimes, but I will have to admit almond is just as good…which I know you know that too ; )

Our dad loves trying new and crazy things. Sometimes, okay most of the time, things I would never eat, haha.

Christina @ ilovefetacheese August 29, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Heather! You look gorgeous and tan and happy!! and OMG a puffins flurry? You have to ask!! And then dry ice some and sell it on your website. It will sell out in 0.00432 secs :)

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Christina,
Thanks so much, and I agree, HEAB flurry business would be HUGE! :)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 29, 2010 at 6:02 pm

PB topped hamburger sounds really cool! I would love to try that.

Tina August 29, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Hmmm PB and hamburger? A combo I would never think to try! I love you and your nut butter. :)

I love the comment reply plugin. Makes things so much easier.

Lauren @ 40Apples August 29, 2010 at 8:04 pm

The blog is looking GREAT!!
I’ve heard about the pb-on-a-burger combo and that it’s supposed to be darn good… I have to say – although I don’t eat meat – I’m SURE it’s delicious (how could it not be? pb!).

Your dad sounds a lot like my mom, who is the ultimate meat n potatoes kind of lady. Love her for it! I always say her steak consumption makes up for my lack thereof :)

HEAB August 30, 2010 at 8:40 am

Lauren,
You should try the PB on a veggie burger, and I have eaten PB it on a tempeh sandwich before – so good!

Lauren @ 40Apples August 30, 2010 at 8:44 am

Great idea!!

BroccoliHut August 29, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Haha, your dad sounds like my brother-in-law Ryan–he never saw a burger he didn’t like:) Great story about the mahi mahi!

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 29, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Your dad is so cute! And totally reminds me of my dad. He calls Tikka Masala Tikker marsala. It doesn’t stop there – he also calls Coach CoachHouse (remember that store) and there’s so many more. He’s a simple guy you could say :)

HEAB August 30, 2010 at 8:41 am

Paige,
Dads can be so entertaining. Hehe. :)

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 9:26 pm

test2 :) :)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com August 29, 2010 at 9:28 pm

ITS PAPA HEAB <3 awwww and you look SO GORGEOUS in the photo too, the first thing i noticed was how youthful you look!!
your dad and my dad would totally order the peanut butter haha, thats such a funny story! i love that the waiter couldnt keep a straight face either :)

btw. it would be a shame not to try and see if they could make a special puffins softserve flurry for you ;)
im amazed that theres a cinnamon toast crunch option for them!! who wouldnt get giddy over that. i used to sit aroudn with my friends and watch movies while we all shared a box of cinnamon toast crunch <3

xoxo

HEAB August 30, 2010 at 8:42 am

Thanks so much Kelsey, and I promise to request a Puffins flurry soon! :)

charlotte August 29, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I’ve been all about the beef these days! It’s been weird since I didn’t eat it for so many years but I’m liking it. Not sure I’d do peanut butter on top of it though. Don’t forget to write this one down to tell the HEABlet when she asks about any weird pregnancy cravings you have!

PS> What comment plug-in are you using? I have Intense Debate and kinda hate it. Yours seems much better!

HEAB August 30, 2010 at 8:48 am

Charlotte,
Yes, I need to write that combo down for sure. I always asked my mom about her own cravings, and I should start making a list of mine.

For the comment plug-in, I’m using Comment Reply Notification. However, I’m not sure if it will work on Blogger, but it’s a worth a try. I’m liking it thus far.

Mama Pea August 30, 2010 at 12:00 am

Get ready for a creeptastic comment here, especially given my confession of my bloggie crush last week. I have NEVER noticed how blue your eyes are, and in that first picture…WOWSA. You give Lu a run for her money. And of course I think she is the most adorable thing ever.

Just wondering, but are you guys registered anywhere for the HEABlet?

HEAB August 30, 2010 at 8:45 am

Mama Pea,
Thanks so much, but I’m really hoping the HEABlet gets CD’s eyes as they are the most beautiful color of blue. Besides, I’m afraid if she inherits mine she’ll get my bad vision as well. I can’t even make out the big E at the top of the eye chart!

We’re registered at Land of Nod.com and Amazon.com. :)

Steph August 30, 2010 at 6:41 am

There is a restaurant in my hometown that has a wally burger- peanut butter and bacon tops this baby! ;)

HEAB August 30, 2010 at 8:48 am

Steph,
Now, that’s what I’m talking about. Definitely sounds like a burger I would LOVE! Please enjoy one for me next time you’re home. :)

Justine August 30, 2010 at 7:07 am

Nut butter on a hamburger is about the most strange thing I’ve ever heard of, but I;ll try anything once. I just hope I can remember that next time there are hamburgers around…….

My dad probably would have ordered the same thing a few years ago, but I think that he has seen enough of the food network now to know the difference. Maybe….

HEAB August 30, 2010 at 8:38 am

Justine,
I’ll recommend the Food Network to my dad. I actually think he would love watching Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. :)

Yes, you must try the burger with nut butter. It was quite tasty!

Ashley August 30, 2010 at 9:37 am

Hahah, sooo glad you tried it! I kind of thought you might ;) Just catching up on blogs after a busy weekend. I’ll have to send this post to my dad…he will be excited! Also, the blog changes look fabulous!!!!

HEAB August 30, 2010 at 9:43 am

Ashley,
Yes, please tell your dad thank-you from HEAB, and thanks for your kind words regarding the new look of the blog. :)

Beth @ DiningAndDishing August 30, 2010 at 10:49 am

I went to college up in London Ontario and there was a diner there that did a peanut butter topped hamburger! My roommate and I gave it a try one day and I loooooved it. I will eat peanut butter on most anything though, so it wasn’t a big surprise :) .

HEAB August 30, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Beth,
Yes, others have said that restaurants do in fact serve pb topped hamburgers, but I’ve never seen them on the menu in the South. I’m making it my personal mission to change that! :)

Melissa Miller August 31, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I saw an episode of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives where the diner served a burger topped with peanut butter and a fried.

You better believe I proceeded straight to the kitchen (only mine was sand bun, and a Boca burger.)

~Missy

PS– You have such pretty eyes!

HEAB August 31, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Melissa,
You know…come to think of it, I think I saw that episode, and I remember Guy not liking the burger. Shame on him! Hope your veggiefied version was good. :)