Remember Musical Jars?

by HEAB on August 31, 2010

More Naturally Nutty White Chocolate Coconut Peanut Butter lovin…

Breakfast from a few days ago: Vanilla protein grits (my new love, but more about that in another post) with Naturally Nutty White Chocolate Peanut Butter and Naturally Nutty Pepita Sun Seed Butter.

Shortly after opening the jar, I stared longingly at it, dreaming of White Chocolate Coconut Peanut Butter Oats In A Jar. Readers often tell me they can’t wait to get to the end of the nut butter jar so they can fill it with oats, smoothies, pureed squash, etc. Friends, you do not have to wait until that jar is empty…you simply play musical jars and transfer nut butter from jar to jar. So, my Naturally Nutty PB went into a clean glass jar…

and I enjoyed myself a little White Chocolate Coconut PB drenched oat action with a square of unsweetened chocolate…no waiting necessary. P.S. Make sure to leave plenty of nut butter smeared on the sides of the jar…love that. :)

Have you ever played musical jars?

Lauren @ 40Apples August 31, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Ingenious. And unabashed. I love it.

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 31, 2010 at 2:36 pm

i’ve never played, but you can bet that i will! dreaming of nut butter now… :)

brandi August 31, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I’ve done the same thing! And I think I need to do it again :)

Dorry August 31, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Love this idea! Genius HEAB at it again. :)

Christine August 31, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I’ve never played musical jars, but I do make my own nut butter that I place in old washed glass jars.

I fill multiple jars up, even though it’d fit in one, so I can get to the bottom sooner.

Also, if I am getting to the end of a jar–but can’t wait for OIAJ, I combine jars.

For example a few weeks ago I *needed* oats in a jar (I was traveling and wanted to eat on the run–see I *needed* them!) I took all my dark choc. peanut butter, save ~2TBS and added that to a half empty almond butter jar. I got my OIAJ when I needed them, AND got a combo butter out of the deal. SWEET!

HEAB September 1, 2010 at 8:59 am

Christine,
I like the way you think! ;)

Ana August 31, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I have done that too, I love eating oats in the nut butter jar!!
Never thought of calling it “musical jars” though, funny!! :-)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 31, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Heather thank you for enriching my life once again :) I love this idea and I will totally do this very soon. I have 3-4 1/2 empty nut butter jars (diff flavors of course) and I never thought of musical jars.

I loved your blog before, but I feel like your posts keep getting funnier and funnier, or maybe I’m finally catching onto your humor? I don’t know, but keep it up :)

HEAB September 1, 2010 at 9:00 am

Hehe – Thanks Holly and enjoy your game of musical jars! :)

Stefanie August 31, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Great solution! Your oats in a jar always come out looking so good. Have a nice day.:)

HEAB September 1, 2010 at 9:00 am

You too Stefanie. :)

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun August 31, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I can’t believe I never thought of that! I will definitely be playing Musical Jars in the future! :-D

Steph August 31, 2010 at 3:28 pm

This is greatness! Yesterday morning, I had a little too much dark almond nut butter for my “While-I-Blow-Dry-My-Hair-Oats” so I simply scooped out some from the jar with a spoon, attempted to restrain the spoon from making it to my mouth, dolluped the nut butter on some wax paper, and stashed it away in the freezer for an after dinner treat. It was a win-win situation – what can I say?

HEAB September 1, 2010 at 9:02 am

Steph,
Brilliant. I love frozen blobs of nut butter, and I love that you call them “While-I-Blow-Dry-My-Hair-Oats”. Hilarious!

Heather August 31, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I always have Smuckers natural PB on hand. immediately after opening the jar I tranfer it to a shallow container so I don’t have to deal with that annoying oil spillage when I stir it up.
So yeah this is the only way I know HOW to deal with natural nutbutters! ;) .

Christine August 31, 2010 at 4:16 pm

My aunt does this too….when we were on a vacation together she put the now empty jar right in the sink….my heart sank!

HEAB September 1, 2010 at 9:03 am

Christine,
I think I would have cried. I used to lecture CD whenever I noticed an empty nut jar sitting in the trash. He now knows to save them for me. :)

HEAB September 1, 2010 at 9:04 am

Heather,
I used to do that too until I got this nut butter stirrer: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/02/22/bye-bye-barney/. Love it!

leanne August 31, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Genius! I’ve never done that before.

Katheryn August 31, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I’ve played, and I love it!

Jessica @ How Sweet August 31, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I need to start doing that!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 31, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Musical jars sounds like the best game EVER!! Must.get.playing.

A Teenage Gourmet August 31, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I play musical jars in a different way. I will open up a jar of PB, but then I want AB, and then Nuttzo! . . . and then Dark Chocolate AB . . . you get the idea.

Lisa August 31, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Your picture makes me want to run into the kitchen and make that right now! It looks so good! =)

eatmovelove August 31, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Uh no,…but I will be now!

Actually I have about 4 open nut butters now – you never know when you want a different flavor so I have to keep them on rotation ;)

eatmovelove August 31, 2010 at 6:38 pm

The only downfall is the expense – I need to save money and these suckers can run you dry…:(

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 31, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Haha, no I have never played musical jars but it seems like a pretty genius idea.

Caitlin (EatFeats) August 31, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Haha! I’ve never played musical jars, but it sounds like much more fun than musical chairs!

Tara August 31, 2010 at 7:25 pm

I just keep my empty jars and spread whatever nut butter i’m in the mood for on the inside. I used to do this with bowls too before oats in a jar became popular.. now i just find jars more fun then bowls :)

HEAB September 1, 2010 at 9:05 am

Tara,
Yes, what is about eating from a jar? I like to drink from them as well. :)

Meghan August 31, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I haven’t played yet, but now that I am venturing into the world of nut and seed butters, I can see it in my future. I just posted about how I got chocolate almond butter for almost half off at the store today…..can’t wait to bust into it.

Emily August 31, 2010 at 8:56 pm

What a great idea! I love scraping the last bit of anything out of a jar. Its always such a treat. I’m definitely going to play musical jars!

Samantha August 31, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Can’t wait to hear more about protein grits, I <3 grits! Still must try that nut butter. I wish our store would stock it. Guess what I DID find there today? MimiCreme is now making smaller sized boxes of coffee creamer! I picked up a box of vanilla and a box of hazelnut biscotti. Can't wait to try them this evening, I'll need the pick me up before bible study!

HEAB September 1, 2010 at 9:06 am

Sam,
Really?!? I need to find those creamers – didn’t even know they had flavored ones out now. I so miss coffee, and I want to start making decaf when I get home.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 31, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Love it. I thought about it once, but for some reason decided not to. What an awful decision!

HEAB September 1, 2010 at 9:07 am

Michelle,
Really, what were you thinking?!? ;)

Lea @ Healthy Coconut September 1, 2010 at 1:18 am

Lets try this again, (I had an error on my last comment)

I’ve never played musical jars….never even thought about it> Now that I know how the game is played, I will definitely try it out. However my jars are medium sizes…hmmm, could be dangerous. To fill or to not fill it up all the way to the top. j/k

Thanks for this idea. You never fail Heather in giving us cool tips.

Emily September 1, 2010 at 5:30 am

What an amazing idea, I love it! I think I will have to do this in secret though, I don’t know if my mom will appreciate various nut-butter jars throughout the kitchen…must find hiding spots :)

HEAB September 1, 2010 at 9:08 am

Emily,
Hehe – that’s what bedroom closets are for. ;)

rachael September 1, 2010 at 6:42 am

Ingenious!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) September 1, 2010 at 6:47 am

Never even thought of doing this… what an AWESOME idea!! :D

xo
Kris

Justine September 1, 2010 at 7:02 am

I have never even thought of that! Maybe I will be buying a jar of (sweetened) nut butter sooner than I thought….

Nikki September 1, 2010 at 7:16 am

Nope! Never played it, but I rarely have glass jar PB’s. I’ll have to invest in one to try this very popular oats in a jar thing!

HEAB September 1, 2010 at 9:08 am

Nikki,
Yes, do it! :)

Andrea (@ Puppy Dog Tales) September 1, 2010 at 7:25 am

OH, great idea. I’m actually heading to the Common Market (our version of Trader Joes/Whole Foods) to stock up on nut butters today.

Lisa September 1, 2010 at 9:28 am

Thanks for this and ALL your ideas! My husband and I are addicted to veggie and goat cheese scrambles a la HEAB. He thinks the pieces of whole wheat tortilla squares are genius. I also made an impromptu veggie/bean chili the other night and threw in a large spoonful of almond butter – YUM! Love your blog!

HEAB September 1, 2010 at 9:43 am

Lisa,
Thanks so much for reading. Love to hear that both you and your husband are addicted to HEAB concoctions. That makes me happy. :)

Sylvia September 1, 2010 at 10:07 am

I definitely love playing Musical oats in a jar! xD But the first time I tried it, I put hot oat bran in a waning plastic jar of Justin’s Maple Almond; I was kind of nervous about the oat bran being too hot and then the fact that the jar was plastic… Well, next time I’ll do a little more work and scrape the butter out of the plastic jar into a glass one… and then play with that one ;)

HEAB September 1, 2010 at 10:12 am

Sounds like a good plan Sylvia. I don’t like putting hot food in plastic either.

Mahealani September 2, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Never played that, but it seems like a great idea! I do have dozens of mason jars just yearning for a little oats-in-a-jar action!

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Mahealani,
Strike up the music and enjoy. :)

{ 3 trackbacks }