A Surplus of Squash

by HEAB on September 2, 2010

CD and I leave for Nashville tomorrow, and our food supply is quickly dwindling down to nothing. We’re out of Brussels sprouts, blueberries, almond milk, and there is not even 1 slice of bacon to be found in our fridge. However, one thing we have plenty of is butternut squash. Remember this guy from our trip to the farmer’s market?

201009020829.jpg

On Wednesday morning, I cut up the squash and roasted batch after batch of fries along with several butternut butts, and we’ve been enjoying our bounty ever since.

For fries, slice butternut squash into thin strips. (I never bother peeling. Yes, I eat the skin. Yes, I like it, and no, I’ve never died from eating squash skin.) Next, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat the foil with coconut oil or butter. Then place your squash strips in a single layer on the foil. At home, I actually place the fries on baking racks which makes for a much crispier fry as it allows the air to circulate underneath while cooking. Then roast in a 425° oven for 35 to 45 minutes.

Some examples of our squash lovin’ over the past couple of days…

2 butts with Naturally Nutty White Chocolate Coconut Peanut Butter and Trader Joe’s raw crunchy almond butter

Spinach topped with a Garden Herb Sunshine Burger, chopped avocado, butternut squash, and Hummy Mustard dressing (minus the stevia)

CD’s Almond Butter Chili with chunks of butternut squash stirred in after cooking. So good!

Butternut squash protein smoothie (water, cooked butternut, & Jay Robb’s vanilla rice protein powder) topped with Honey Rice Puffins

Warmed brown rice tortilla stuffed with mashed butternut squash + avocado and Naturally Nutty White Chocolate Coconut Peanut Butter

Are you ready for fall now? :)

Chocolate Covered Katie September 3, 2010 at 10:03 am

HEAB! I’m sending you an email right after I write this, so let me know if you don’t get it!!

Love, your fellow squash-a-holic,
Katie

Jessica @ How Sweet September 3, 2010 at 10:05 am

I am SO ready for Fall! I can’t wait!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 3, 2010 at 10:08 am

Yes! Bring on fall!!! I love roasted butternut squash! I would have filled those butts with apple cinnamon oatmeal. Be careful tomorrow!

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Sarena,
I love a good oatmeal filled butt! :)

polly September 3, 2010 at 10:10 am

Yummy FALL! :D

I want you go come to Fort Wayne and I’ll make you some “cupcakes.” :P

We are heading to Ohio tonight and it’s FOOTBALL time! Love you, honey. I love Fall and I love the cooler weather and I love YOU! Enjoy your last day in MI.

We must try CD’s almond butter chili ASAP! That would taste so good while watching the Buckeyes.

Take care and give hugs to E and R from Charlie. XOXO P

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Will do Polly. Safe travels to Ohio…go Buckeyes! :)

Sylvia September 3, 2010 at 10:10 am

I soo have to try butternut squash sometime! :)

Speaking of the monster of all squashes, my parents grew this huge squash plants in the backyard. They came out to about 2 feet long – insanity!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) September 3, 2010 at 10:11 am

Ah yes, squash = fall, which = my favorite season of them all. I’ll def miss summers harvest though. Check out my latest post- sweet focaccia bread!
safe travels back :)

Marina September 3, 2010 at 10:12 am

Oh definitely. I want squash now!!
I’ll load up on them before my uni starts, so I can have the perfect comfort food after a day with boring lectures :D

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger September 3, 2010 at 10:12 am

I am salivating over the picture of the squash and white chocolate coconut peanut butter. O-M-GGGG! :)

I am SO SO SO ready for fall, too! Football season, holidays, leaves changing, cool, brisk weather, light sweaters, apple cider and pumpkins! YAY! :)

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Talia – everything you mentioned is what I love about fall…but you left out scarves. I LOVE scarves and can’t wait to bust out my collection soon! :)

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin September 3, 2010 at 10:13 am

I loooove butternut squash and pumpkin and can’t wait for fall! I cannot wait for the cooler weather and less humidity.. August in DC is killer!

Dorry September 3, 2010 at 10:15 am

I LOVE fall – everything about it. Yummy squash included. Great to see so many uses here – love your creativity.

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 3, 2010 at 10:16 am

um, TOTALLY ready for fall…like 4 months ago! :)

S @ extremebalance.net/blog September 3, 2010 at 10:24 am

I only see soup when I look at squash, and I never get tired of it. So your inventiveness has definitely given me some (no pun intended) food for thought… (there was really no way to salvage that, was there?)

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 3:01 pm

S,
Nice try. ;)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 3, 2010 at 10:38 am

So much squash! I’ve never tried squash with almond butter. I need to get on that.

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Michelle,
It’s your blog’s namesake…you must eat almond butter on everything…like me. Us almond butter lovers gotta stick together, ya know. :)

Nicole September 3, 2010 at 10:52 am

I am so ready for fall! The only thing is that I’ve been waking up in the dark for about 2 weeks now, which sucks, but I’m so looking forward to cooler weather, football, and fall foods like squash and apples…and chili!!
Enjoy your last day in MI!

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Thanks Nicole. Sure feels like fall her today. Rainy and cold. :( Oh well, makes going home tomorrow a bit easier.

Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! September 3, 2010 at 10:53 am

That butternut squash looks absolutely incredible! I want to run out right now and buy b-nut squash, sweet potatoes, and apples–my favorite fall foods. Thanks for the tips on how to cook butternut squash–it’s always a challenge for me!

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Gavi,
You’re welcome. :)

melissa @ the delicate place September 3, 2010 at 11:04 am

so ready for fall! it’s been 95-97 every day! gross. i’ve been eating my kabocha(heart) out.

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Melissa,
Jealous…it’s been months since I’ve loved on any kabocha…that must change soon!

eatmovelove September 3, 2010 at 11:14 am

Oh man, I love Butternut Squash. Roasted in a salad is awesome. And as a side dish. I’m lovin’ yours with the Nut Butter!! And yeah I eat the skin too – and am equally alive ;) .

I usually put it on baking sheets too – but it does burn a bit…but, I actually like the burned charred pieces of black peel…;)…I know, that’s gotta be bad right?..but sooooo good.

Back to Nashville tommorow? Wow, has it been a month already?!! God, time flies…

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Eatmovelove,
I like the burnt crispees too…shh, don’t tell. ;)

eatmovelove September 3, 2010 at 5:51 pm

I know – it even Looks good burnt! …hmm,…perhaps Butternut Squash should be the new “marshmallow” and replace it over the open fire ;)

VeggieGirl September 3, 2010 at 11:23 am

Bring on da fall goodness! :-D

Sara September 3, 2010 at 11:41 am

Wow I have never thought about doing squash fries before. That is such an amazingly wonderful idea. I bet this would taste so similar to sweet potato fries. Thanks for the new fall ideas.

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Sara,
Sweet potato fries will always be my favorite. OK, that’s a lie…kabocha squash fries will always be my favorite, but the butternut ones are almost just as good. :)

Gracie September 3, 2010 at 12:03 pm

I absolutely LOVE butternut squash. And I love how creative you are with it! I always just end up eating a huge bowl of it – seasoned with kosher salt + cinnamon and roasted. It’s like candy to me! Delicious, autumn-ish, healthy candy :)

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Gracie,
Exactly – it’s like dessert to me too. Love my “healthy candy”. :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 3, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I love Fall! It is so crisp here in MN today, I love it!

My favorite part of your post were the two butts full of almond butter. What a riot.

Ana September 3, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I am not ready for fall… I love summer, and I don’t want it to end!
I also love winter squash though, so all is not bad when the colder months come! :-)

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Ana,
I love the warm summer sunshine as well…and I’m sure I’ll be wishing for it come January! Please remind me of this post then. Hehe. ;)

Taylor September 3, 2010 at 12:14 pm

oh i LOVE finding monster butternuts like that! i always roast them because the long necks are so easy to slice into discs perfect for roastage. i did that last night, actually!

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Taylor,
I’ll have to try roasted discs next time. :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit September 3, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Mm great meal ideas for squash! The smoothie and the wrap look especially good.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 3, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I love butternut squash!! And my mom would be one of the people questioning your eating the skin. I eat the skin of squashes (and everything), too while she insists on peeling them. Last time I ate an acorn squash peel she looked at me like I ws an alien. They’re good!

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Mary,
You and I must be from the same planet. Love the skin – no shame! :)

Claire C September 3, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I love squash wraps.I actually just ate one for lunch today.It was yellow squash zucchini, mushrooms and fennel cooked on my George Foreman stuffed into a brown rice wrap with avocado and hummus.YUM!! Now I’m stuffed.hehe..I need to try butternut squash sometime:-)cc

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 3, 2010 at 12:58 pm

No, not ready for fall!! The nicest part of the year in San Diego is Aug-Oct in my opinion. The early summer is May Gray/June Gloom, then it was still really cool this year in july/aug and is just NOW getting to those 76F and sunny, gentle breeze, truly perfect days. I want to bottle this weather til I head to Aruba for the winter LOL :)

I love squash tho too in the winter/fall. I make roasted b-nut squash and fries BUT I have always peeled my fries…I think your method rocks and it’s good to know you havent died from squash peel. There are raw foodies who think that unsoaked nuts, i.e. almonds, cashews are gonna kill you or they are so poorly digestible that it’s just “awful” to eat them that way…or the raw foodies who think that raw green beans are too toxic and hard to digest for the body. I hold up the big hand with the W finger. As in Whatever. haha. So I will be trying your peel-on-fries technique. and I bet I’ll live too.

Have a great weekend, Heather!

Drive home SAFELY, there are crazies on the road this weekend!!

Song September 3, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I LOVE eating skin!!! (ooo sounds creepy!! :p)and I think kabocha skin is the best!! : )
NOT ready for Fall (LOVE LOVE hot weather…) but definitely ready for eating more squash!!!!

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Song,
I love the warm weather too, but I also love the crisp fall air…however, winter’s gloom, I could do without! Kabocha skin is my fav!

leanne September 3, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I’ve seen you using avocados in your sweet eats and I’m going to have to try this. I’ve only ever tried the mousse.

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Leanne,
Try it…sweet avocado eats never disappoint!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 3, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I’m still in summer mode. I’m not ready for winter squashes yet.

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad September 3, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Yes I’m ready!

I think a better question is: who DOESN”T eat squash skin? It’s the best part. At least with kabocha.

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Maggie,
Agreed. Glad to know I’m not the only one, but whenever I post squash with skin on it, at least one or two readers can’t believe I eat it. They’re missing out…besides, there’s gotta be some fiber in there, right? ;)

Christina September 3, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I am very ready for fall and cooler temps!

I love making butternut squash soup with roasted butternut squash. Delish!

Sami September 3, 2010 at 2:09 pm

awh heaby, i love your butts! hehe. such a child, i know.
guess what i found the other day?!

justin’ssssssssssssss maple almond butter!!! thrilled. i think i actually squeeled aloud. haha.

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Sami,
So excited for you! Justin’s maple almond is good stuff…I think you should spread it on a big roasted butt. ;)

Bridget September 3, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I’m definitely looking forward to wearing all the comfy fall clothing. Sweaters, scarves, hoodies, jeans……I love them all :) Fall eats are always comforting too! Bring on the nut butter and squash

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Bridget,
I live in scarves from about October to April. Love them! :)

Cynthia (It All Changes) September 3, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Oh I can’t wait to slice up some squash. I want to make squash pudding and pie again this year.

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Cynthia,
I read your guest post over at Mizfit today. Kept trying to comment, but I think they all got spammed. Anyway, I don’t think I ever knew your whole story – amazing! So sorry about all the running injuries. I was once sidelined with a stress fracture for about 4 months, but it was a good lesson for me. Like you, I learned rest is so important, and I also learned that there is life without running. Who knew? :)

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 3, 2010 at 2:54 pm

The squash-heels filled with nut butter look soooo darn delicious! Is it unusual to eat squash skin? Like, does it have an off-putting texture or taste? I’ve never had butternut squash before, so I’m curious about what to expect when I make this meal!

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Caitlin,
In the blogosphere, no it is not unusual to eat the skin. It just gets kind of crispy – like baked potato skin. I don’t think the taste or texture is off-putting at all. Try it…besides, it saves a lot of time when you don’t peel!

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 3, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Oh that sounds excellent, the skin of baked potatoes and sweet potatoes is always my favorite part! Thanks for the info!

Lori September 3, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I eat the skin on acorn squash, kabocha squash (I just bought 3 at the Asian market!!) but for some reason have always peeled my butternut squash. Thanks for letting me know it is good too!

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Lori,
Welcome. :)

Sandi September 3, 2010 at 4:17 pm

MmmmMmmmMmMMMMmmm…that last one looks like the most orgasmically delicious thing I have ever seen. Must recreate!

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Sandi,
Yep, that about described my experience with the butternut/avocado/pb wrap. :)

Hope you try it soon!

Emily September 3, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Butternut squash smoothie??? Did you sweeten it somehow, or no? I’ve been having so much fun with smoothies since I got my VitaMix, but this I have never considered! :)

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Emily,
My protein powder is sweetened with stevia. Smoothie was good, but I think it would have been much better with almond milk rather than water, and normally I would have frozen the cooked squash first. You should try it. Delicious. Another favorite butternut recipe for the Vita-Mix is butterscotch pudding: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/07/08/baby-food-prep/

Liza @ Health Nutting September 3, 2010 at 4:27 pm

YUM, it all looks soooo delicious! Butternut squash is so very delicious — so excited for fallll! :)

kelli September 3, 2010 at 4:41 pm

hahaa I love squash skins too! spaghetti squash skins are good as well.

MoniMeals September 3, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Yes! Ready for FALL.:) I am a total squash addict too! I also love making Butternut Squash Fries, with the skin of course(the best part!) I love making them sweet and then spicy- 2 different batches. What a great day of meals you had! Happy weekend:)

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 8:31 pm

You too MoniMeals! :)

Rachael September 3, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I’m ready for all things autumn-y, though I acknowledge that it’ll probably be a solid month before i fully retire my shorts and sandals….visions of cozy sweaters and wood stove smoke will dance in my head nonetheless!
I have a feeling I’ll be eating a ton of squash this fall and winter…the boy wants to take another stab at an all-local season, which means kale, sweet potatoes and every kind of pumpkin-derivative possible!
Safe travels!

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Racheal,
I’ve been known to wear my Chaco sandals and a scarf + hat…hate putting my sandals and flip-flops away for the season. :(

homecookedem September 3, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I am soooooooo ready for Fall!! :) I love bnut squash fries!! I haven’t had them in way too long!! I’ve never left the skins on before… I should try that… I hate that part of preparing them.

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Em,
Definitely try butternut skin-on. Gosh, if I had to peel those things, I’d never eat them. I’m too lazy. ;)

BroccoliHut September 3, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I’ve started buying a squash per week–last week it was acorn squash, this week it’s spaghetti squash…and I think next week it might just have to be butternut:)

MarathonVal September 3, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Can you believe I don’t think I’ve made Brussels sprouts OR butternut squash all summer?!? To me those foods scream ‘fall’ more than summer, but I still love them…. thanks for inspiring me ;)

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Val,
Anytime…and I don’t believe it! I see Brussels and butternut in your future very soon. :)

Jen @ Taste Life September 3, 2010 at 6:31 pm

This morning I blended a little butternut squash butt with a frozen banana and some cinnamon for banana/butternut soft serve. So. Freaking. Good. Yes, I’m ready for fall!

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Jen,
I’ve made butternut pudding with that same recipe, but with a melted banana rather than frozen. Perfect for a cool fall morning! :)

nadine September 3, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Thought of you when I was eating my roasted Kabocha squash slices out of the Earth Balance container. Now you’ve got me eating from containers too!

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Nadine,
Containers make the best bowls. So happy to know you thought of me. :)

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels September 3, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Thank you for your comment on my blog Heather! :) I’m so ready for fall, it’s my absolute favorite season. And I can’t wait for Halloween! YEAH!

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Lindsey,
You’re welcome…I can’t wait for BB Puppy Chow! ;)

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas September 3, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Butt full o’ butter? Ha ha…

Our buttanuts are growing nicely…we’ve cooked one or two, and I can’t wait for more!

Isn’t it neat to know that your baby is learning to like squash because you’re eating it now? Amazing :)

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Wendy,
Yes, I can’t wait to meet my little squash lover. :)

Amber at Berlinswhimsy September 3, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I have a big butternut squash waiting to be baked—and for me to find enough things to make with it!

I must try that smoothie!

Kim September 3, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Fall? What is fall?! Please remind me! 131 on my car therm today when I got in the car, dropped down to a cool 113 on the drive home. We are not quite at the beautiful squash stage here just yet….anything cold, that does not involve turning on the oven. If Fred and Bella want anything beyond that, Whole Foods is a quick 10 min drive away….safe travels home!

HEAB September 4, 2010 at 7:16 am

Kim,
Thanks for reminding me why we never visit CD’s parents in the summer…I think I would die. December will be here before we know it, and I think the December weather is Phoenix is absolutely perfect!

Kim September 4, 2010 at 7:44 am

I was however craving pumpkin like a crazy woman after seeing Polly’s post on her “cupcakes”, yuummmm. One guess where I am heading later to buy some pumpkin…

Susan September 4, 2010 at 5:21 am

I LOVE it! Fall is here!

Last night I had roasted acorn squash with PB for dessert and I totally thought it was HEAB-worthy.

HEAB September 4, 2010 at 7:14 am

Susan,
Definitely HEAB-worthy! Thanks for thinking of me. :)

Alyssa September 4, 2010 at 6:31 am

You have inspired me to stock up on my squash :-) Enjoy!

Lauren @ 40Apples September 4, 2010 at 6:45 am

B-nut squash is insanely versatile! I love the fries… but I’m also dying to try your fudge!
Have a great trip back home!!

HEAB September 4, 2010 at 7:13 am

Lauren,
The fudge…one of my favorite uses for butternut!

Emily September 5, 2010 at 5:43 am

Great healthy ideas for using butternut squash! Thank you!

HEAB September 5, 2010 at 8:34 am

Emily,
Welcome. :)

Ashley September 6, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I have been looking for some ways to use squash! Great post!

HEAB September 6, 2010 at 4:59 pm
Brandae September 20, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Hi Heather,
I roasted a big old butternut today and ate some of the butts with Justin’s Maple Almond Butter and natural crunchy pb. YUM, YUM, YUM! I loved each bite…my kids looked at me like I was from another planet. I’ll convert them yet…ha ha ha!
Thanks for the inspiration!!!
Brandae

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Brandae,
So happy to hear you enjoyed your butternut butts…your kids missed out! Keep working on them. Hopefully, they’ll come around soon. :)