Celebrating My Love of the South

by HEAB on September 2, 2010

Grits, according to Wikipedia:

A food of Native American origin that is common in the Southern United States; it mainly consists of coarsely ground hominy. It is sometimes called sofkee or sofkey from the Creek word. The name ‘grits’ likely derives from the Northern European grit gruels.

Grits is similar to other thick maize-based porridges from around the world, such as polenta. It also resembles farina, a thinner porridge.

Grits can also be fried in a pan or mold to create a firm block. The resulting block can be cut with a knife or wire, and the slices are fried in a fat such as vegetable oil, butter, or bacon grease.

Honestly, growing up in Nashville, I was never a huge fan of grits. My parents aren’t from the South and never made them for us very often. I tried grits a few times but usually opted for eggs or pancakes instead. :) However, now that I’m older, my taste buds have broadened their horizons, and I love me some grits! Truth be told, I can’t get them out of mind ever since CD and I went to lunch at Soul Hole in Traverse City. I order the shrimp and grits, and it was just so good!

Mmmm, grits with butter with cornbread on the side. YUM!

After that delicious lunch, I went out and bought myself a canister of this…and I’m in love.

Screen shot 2010-09-01 at 11.52.10 AM.png

Now, I know some people think that corn is the devil. However, I like it, especially now that I’m trying to switch up my grain intake and eat less wheat. I’m not a fan of high fructose corn syrup (we’ll just ignore my obsession with Pop-Tarts during my first trimester, okay? Thanks!). Nor am I a big fan of corn oil. However, there are some corn products that I really like, grits being one of them…

2 servings of Quaker grits cooked in water and mixed with Jay Robb’s vanilla rice protein powder. Topped with Naturally Nutty Pepita Sun Seed Butter and White Chocolate Coconut Peanut Butter.

Other corn products I enjoy?

I love raw corn straight from the cob in my salads. The kernels add such a nice sweet crunchy flavor. Try it!

I’ve also been known to top vanilla protein oats with raw corn.

Surprisingly good!

There there are papusas. Love a good papusa made with corn flour.

Tomato, goat cheese, and pesto filled papusa.

Let’s not forget popcorn

201009011221.jpg

And everyone knows I love corn tortilla chips!

201009011212.jpg

Trader Joe’s Veggie Tortilla chips with Purple Cauliflower Monster-Mash

Favorite way to eat corn?

P.S. If you get a chance, please visit Feed Me, I’m Cranky to check out Annabel’s Healthy Lifestyle Blogger Series. Thanks for including me Annabel!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 2, 2010 at 7:17 am

I’ve never had grits. I’m not sure that you can even buy them at the store here in Canada.
I HAVE had my fair share of polenta though, being Northern Italian.
It’s my absolute favourite food.

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 10:26 am

Samantha,
Don’t be too sure about that – After all, I did find grits in Fife Lake, Michigan. So be on the lookout! However, I think polenta just as good – so I’d stick with that! :)

eatmovelove September 2, 2010 at 10:38 am

Hmm, I haven’t seen them here either…but again I’m in a small town.

Grits hey? I always thought they were some kind of fried pork thing…;)…not porridge-like!

I’ve never tried Polenta – it is a bread/grain right and not a vegetable?

Jessica @ How Sweet September 2, 2010 at 7:21 am

I have never had grits! I hear I’m missing out.

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 10:27 am

Jessica,
You are…try them! :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 2, 2010 at 7:24 am

Mmmmmmm…you KNOW this Louisiana girl loves her some grits!!! We always have cheese grits at Christmas…so freakin’ good!

Taylor September 2, 2010 at 7:31 am

ugh! grits! my mom is from the deep south and loves all things southern: grits, cornbread, catfish, fried okra, biscuits and gravy, hush puppies, chicken and dumplings… but i can’t stand any of it! i definitely got my dad’s yankee genes.

corn is best on the cob. freshly picked, lightly boiled or grilled. simple but delicious!

Marina September 2, 2010 at 7:33 am

I love corn!
Corn on the cob, boiled, polenta, popcorn, corn flakes…anything with corn is amazing to me :)

Liza @ Health Nutting September 2, 2010 at 7:43 am

Never tried grits, but looks like oatbran so it must be good? :)
I love my corn fresh off a grilled or boiled/steamed cob in the summer– SO GOOD.

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 10:29 am

Liza,
The grits are thick like oat bran but with a milder taste…the consistency is more like cream of wheat. Oat bran will probably always be my favorite hot cereal, but I am loving the grits these days!

Evan Thomas September 2, 2010 at 7:43 am

My favorite way to eat corn is w/ honey and butter. Go big or go home

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 10:29 am

Evan,
Never had honey on my corn…gotta remember that one!

Evan Thomas September 2, 2010 at 11:16 am

Oh, actually I meant cornbread. But yeah, it’s all good.

Christine September 2, 2010 at 7:44 am

Raw corn is AWESOME. Milky-sweet!

:-)

Annie@stronghealthyfit September 2, 2010 at 7:49 am

I love corn on the cob and corn chips too :-) But I know there’s not much nutritional value to them. Oh well! Never tried grits, but I’d like to.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? September 2, 2010 at 7:56 am

I absolutely love corn! My favorite (albeit unhealthy) way is elotes: grilled corn on the cob, slathered in a mixture of mayo, lime juice, and chili powder… drool…

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 10:30 am

Mara,
I’ve never heard of elotes…gosh, sounds freaking amazing!

Chandra September 2, 2010 at 7:57 am

I LOVE GRITS!!!

allison @ livingoneday September 2, 2010 at 8:01 am

i love grits. they are one of my favorite foods. usually i eat them with butter, brown sugar, and bananas…but sometimes i’ll go the salt, pepper, and cheese way! i also love raw corn! it’s so naturally sweet. however, roasted on the cob is probably my favorite :)

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 10:32 am

Allison,
I love your sweet grits bowl. Wish I had some bananas, but we’re trying not to go to the grocery store since we leave in a couple of days. Must try that combo when I get home.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 2, 2010 at 8:04 am

I grew up eating grits and I LOVE them! I was just thinking about papusas yesterday! I need to make those again now! I love raw corn. My father in law looked at me like I was crazy when I ate it, but it has such a great flavor and texture. Glad you are on board with corn and grits! How could you not like it?

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 10:35 am

Sarena,
I don’t know – corn is so yummy and naturally sweet. Love it.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 2, 2010 at 8:18 am

I don’t think I’ve ever had grits. My favorite way to eat corn? Chips or tortillas. I do like papusas — my coworker’s wife makes the best papusas and will bring them in for everyone at the office. They are so delicious.

leanne September 2, 2010 at 8:20 am

I’ve never thought of raw corn as the crunchy topper to a salad. Thanks for another wonderful idea!

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 10:36 am

Leanne,
Welcome. :)

Sylvia September 2, 2010 at 8:34 am

I love this drink that they had in China with corn. I think you blend corn with some milk in the blender and then once it’s nicely blended, you can mesh out the pulp and then cook it in a pot on the stovetop until it bubbles. You can also add some ground cinnamon to it for more bursts of flavor. It is so sweet and fragrant, the restaurant that we went to in China that served this gave us a pitcher and I secretly drank the whole pitcher (there was like 6 of us at the table that night). Then my Dad demanded to know where all the corn milk went and I sat there twiddling my thumbs, saying, “Oh don’t worry. They give refills!” And my Dad was like, “… No, they don’t.” And I said, “Oh….. Whoops?” ;)

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 10:38 am

Syliva,
Corn milk, huh? Never heard of that. Loved that you drank the whole pitcher and then expected a refill. Hehe – so something I would do!

Danielle (Runs on Green) September 2, 2010 at 8:40 am

Corn is def. not the devil! Of course ANYthing is bad for you if you process/manipulate the heck out of it (soy, wheat, even veggies…)

I have a bag of dry polenta (which I’m assuming is the same thing as grits?) but I have no idea what to do with it! Making polenta seems like a long process…so I’m thinking morning grits could be a new thing for me too :)

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 10:47 am

Danielle,
Yep, I think grits and polenta are pretty much the same thing. However, I want to try the polenta when I get back home and compare. My boss used to make it all the time at work, and it looked totally different from my bowls of quick cooking grits I’ve been making.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 2, 2010 at 11:05 am

Polenta and grits are completely different in my opinion. I grew up on grits (a staple for breakfast) and just made polenta for the first time last year. True southern grits are made with hominy (corn treated with lye) and polenta is coarse cornmeal. I think the texture is completely different. Polenta is a lot more coarse. I like them both, but they are totally different and polenta definitely takes longer to cook…but is so worth it! I cook mine with the “not chick’n broth” for extra flavor. I’m sure CD’s almond butter chili would be perfect over it polenta. We typically do it huevos ranchero style.

Kim September 2, 2010 at 8:58 am

POPCORN. My ultimate weakness. :)

Plus fresh sweet Indiana corn on the cob. YUM.

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 10:49 am

Kim,
2 summers ago, my mom spent a couple of months working in northern Indiana, and every time I spoke with her while she was there, she went on and on about the corn! :)

Kim September 2, 2010 at 11:10 am

Oh Heather, seriously, Indiana sweet corn is incredible (I’m in northern Indiana, too). Even the so-so cobs you get early in the season are so amazing! As you drive back down from MI to TN, see if you can find a roadside stand to get some!

PS – I think you convinced me about Lake MI. I haven’t been to the MI coast yet, but now I really want to! Good thing it’s close! :)

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 11:12 am

Kim,
Yes, you must take a trip up to Northern Michigan. It’s beautiful, and we can’t wait to come back next summer. I’ll be on the lookout for those roadside stands on our way home! :)

Felicia September 2, 2010 at 9:02 am

I. Love. Corn. Seriously, I have an obsession with it. Good, sweet corn, raw, steamed, or grilled, no butter or seasoning because it just doesn’t need if, off the cob or on my salad. Ahh :)

Andrea@WellnessNotes September 2, 2010 at 9:08 am

I don’t think I have ever had grits…

I love fresh corn cut off the cob and also corn on the cob with just a little bit of butter. Soooo good….

Ana September 2, 2010 at 9:11 am

Corn on the cob, warm, with butter and salt! Definitely the favorite way to eat corn!! But I also like it off the cob with butter and salt! :-)
And I totally agree with you, raw corn in salad is delicious, especially when paired with tomatoes and basil, love it!
I like popcorn too!!
Growing up I never had grits, but did have lots of polenta! My mom is of italian descent so she used to make it quite frequently and I always liked it. She makes soft polenta, which really looks and tastes a lot like grits!
My son likes soft polenta too, it is a creamy and comforting warm meal, especially good during the winter months!

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 10:51 am

Ana,
I look forward to trying polenta when we get back to Nashville as I’ve never made it myself. My boss use to always make it at work, and it looked much different from the bowls of quick cooking oats I’ve been making for myself lately. Can’t wait to experiment!

Ellen September 2, 2010 at 9:12 am

i love corn too, but i prefer polenta to grits (difference meaning grits are ground hominy, polenta is whole corn). pupusas are definitely my favorite way of eating corn, and i think i’m going to go get some for dinner tonight in fact. i also love posole, tamales, corn soup, corn bread, and plain straight off the cob. us midwesterners like our corn, too!

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 10:55 am

Ellen,
Ah, so that’s the difference? Good to know, and I have to agree – you midwesterners definitely know your corn. Honestly, that bowl of grits I ate in Traverse City was the best I’ve ever had!

Helen September 2, 2010 at 9:14 am

Grits for breakfast, polenta for lunch, grilled corn on the cob for dinner would be an almost perfect eating day for me!

Justine September 2, 2010 at 9:19 am

I have never had grits, but I am a fan of polenta! I love when pizza has corn meal on the bottom, or any kind of bread for that matter. I also like corn sauteed with onion, chili powder, red pepper flakes and mixed with avocado ontop of a roasted sweet potato. Geeze, that was a mouthfull.

I have also never had hominy but my mother is biased against it from her childhood and I haven’t ever bought it on my own to try.

Have a happy Thursday Miss Heather!

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 10:56 am

Justine,
I used to work at a gourmet pizza restaurant, and our crust was made from cornmeal. I loved it! Also, loving the sound of that sweet potato. :)

Amber@momsgottheruns September 2, 2010 at 9:19 am

I love grits! I’m from the South, and have always loved grits! Oats with corn? Hmmm… lol

Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods September 2, 2010 at 9:20 am

Lady, you know I love me some grits! I’m from TN and grew up eating them. So good! Grits are easy and take no time to make- you don’t even need to bother with the runny, instant stuff. If you like grits, give polenta a try, the Italian version!

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 10:57 am

Jennifer,
I will as soon as we get home to Nashville. I love polenta but have never made my own. Can’t wait!

Shelly September 2, 2010 at 9:21 am

I love Polenta. (Which is really just Italian Cheese Grits). I take cornmeal and cook it in a little boiling milk, then stir in pepper and parmesan when it’s done (it takes all of 5 minutes.) I like to top it with tomato sauce, green peppers, and Italian Turkey Sausage. Yum!

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 10:58 am

Shelly,
That sounds amazing – so making something similar when I get back home to Nashville!

Shelly September 2, 2010 at 11:50 am

It’s really easy! I base my recipe on Mark Bittman’s Polenta Without Fear, but find that it doesn’t take me nearly as long as his recipe calls for. I think it’s b/c I make at most 1/2 a cup of polenta for 2 people so everything just cooks faster. (Or maybe I just use too high of a heat setting- it turns out fine though!)
I’ll add the link but what you need to know is for 1/2 a cup of cornmeal you bring 1/2 a cup of milk and 1 cup of water to a boil, whisk the cornmeal into it in a stead stream, bring it back to a boil, then cook it on low, while stirring it until everything is absorbed. then you stir in some butter or olive oil, pepper, and cheese.

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 10:23 am

Thanks Shelly! :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 2, 2010 at 9:24 am

grits all the way! my mimi made the best garlic cheese grits in the world!

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen) September 2, 2010 at 9:26 am

Your combos continue to surprise, amaze, and wonder at how on earth you come up with them. Raw corn on oats?!?!?! I have recently gotten back on the corn train- had to hop off when I had digestive stuff and obviously when I was sick. If you have a healthy digestive system and stick to wholly organic or at least know who grew it (to avoid the GMO issue) then I am all for it.

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 11:00 am

Meghan,
Yeah, even I’ll admit the raw corn on oats was a bit out there…although I did enjoy it. :)

StephORama September 2, 2010 at 9:26 am

I LOVE grits! They’re the best. I’ve lived in Texas all my life, and they’re everywhere. Especially with tons of black pepper, a little salt, and a little Daiya and nooch.

I don’t have a problem with whole corn and cornmeal. Corn is only bad for you when you process it into corn syrup and corn oil. The whole food is good for you (and my favorite grain ever!).

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 11:00 am

StephORama,
I could not agree more, and I bet some Daiya melted into a big bowl of grits is delicious!

Dorry September 2, 2010 at 9:34 am

I’ve been thinking about my corn intake lately – I eat a lot of corn tortillas and chips. So I’ve made a conscious effort to switch up my grains lately with whole wheat and rice products. One of my favorite ways to eat corn is roasted. Mmm.

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 11:01 am

Dorry,
I love RiceWorks brown rice chips. Just as tasty as a corn tortilla chip in my opinion. :)

Bess @ Bess Be Fit September 2, 2010 at 10:00 am

I love Grits! They are the only way to complete a breakfast of bacon and eggs…and a big glass of orange juice. I think my southern family has that everytime we are all together. It’s ok with me!! I also like what it stands for:

G.R.I.T.S. = Girls Raised In The South

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 11:02 am

Bess,
Haha – yes, I’ve seen that printed on t-shirts and hats at Cracker Barrel. :)

Sara September 2, 2010 at 10:09 am

Grilled in the husk, then when you take off the husk, brush on grapeseed oil and sprinkle on cajun seasoning. So spicy and sooooo delicious!

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 11:03 am

Sara,
Swap out the grapeseed oil for some butter and I’m sold. Sounds amazing! :)

Sara September 2, 2010 at 11:07 am

That’s the beauty of grapeseed oil – it has a buttery flavor to it :D . But seriously if you are trying to limit or cut out your dairy, this is a wonderful alternative to butter.

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 11:14 am

Sara,
I’m not a big fan of grapeseed oil, and my body doesn’t mind butter. I try and avoid dairy products high in whey and casein as that’s what bothers me, but the full fat dairy products like butter and heavy cream are a-okay by me. :)

Gloria September 2, 2010 at 10:20 am

I love corn and don’t mind eating it at all despite the drama behind it. I buy organic, that makes it better? I think? ;) My favorite use is actually in corn muffins. I add whole kernels into the batter – soooo yummy. Mmm… corn muffin, jam, sunflower seed butter…. I know what I’m making tonight!

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 11:04 am

Gloria,
What time? Mind if I stop by for dinner? ;)

Love the idea of whole kernels in the batter. Sounds divine!

Andrea (@ Puppy Dog Tales) September 2, 2010 at 10:23 am

I LOVE corn and eating it straight from the cob is my absolute favorite! My husband cuts his off the cob and I just don’t understand it….why use a utensil if one isn’t needed! :)

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 11:04 am

Andrea,
Cuts down on flossing? ;)

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 2, 2010 at 10:23 am

Ooh, definitely on the cob, with butter, pepper, and salt. And a long piece of floss afterwards :)

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 11:05 am

Maria,
Haha – yes, agreed. Corn straight from the cob always requires lots of dental floss! :)

Katie September 2, 2010 at 10:28 am

I’ve only had cheesy grits way back when I could eat cheese. I think I liked the cheese part more so than the grit part! :D

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 11:06 am

Katie,
Everyone knows the cheese is the best part…well, that and the butter. ;)

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 2, 2010 at 10:31 am

Oh I love corn products! My friends always told me that grits were “for old people,” so I didn’t try them until last year. They are so yum! My favorite corn products are tortillas and polenta.

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 11:07 am

Caitlin,
Well, here’s to being old…I feel half the foods I eat are “nursing home foods”. Hehe, I love my oats and puddings!

polly September 2, 2010 at 10:31 am

Corn and oats are my favorite grains, peachy!!

I am in fact, at the this very moment, munching on a corn tortilla. Have you tried the food for life ones? Yellow corn and chewy yum.

Love you! XOXO

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 11:10 am

Polly,
Speaking of corn, so making your cornbread when we get home. It’s been on my list for forever, and I’ve been dreaming about it ever since CD and I ate that lunch in Traverse City. :)

No, I’ve never had the Food For Life corn tortillas but plan to try them when I get home as I know they’re your favorite. I’m currently obsessed with their brown rice tortillas. In fact, just ate my last one for breakfast this morning. Sniff sniff. :(

LOVE YOU!

Tracy September 2, 2010 at 10:46 am

I love grits! It reminds me of cornbread in a bowl. I don’t think corn is the devil either, but I’m pretty excited to try the Millet Grits I just bought (Bobs Red Mill).

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 11:08 am

Tracy,
Millet grits? Oooh, I must look into those. Bob is a genius, no? :)

Michelle (@ Housewife in the Raw) September 2, 2010 at 10:47 am

My favorite way to consume corn is a tie between popcorn (stove top with coconut oil and salt) or tortilla chips. Oh man, now I’m hungry for popcorn… off to make some….

Carolyn September 2, 2010 at 11:27 am

well, since it would be wrong to say high fructose CORN syrup…

…i will go with kettle cooked popcorn (some company used to make 100 calorie microwave packs of it, but they have dissappeared) … i love grits and grew up on them with tons of melted cheese.. yum… ok now i want some…

…corn bread with actual corn, and pepper cheese, in it……with butter…

Heather the raw corn in vanilla protein oats sounds scary!! …although the texture would be great…can you really taste the corn…?

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Carolyn,
Yes, you can taste the sweet corn, but it’s so good and crunchy in its raw state. I mean people add trail mix to oats, and so why not corn? Crunch + sweet…you really can’t go wrong.

Jami @ Runner in the Baking September 2, 2010 at 11:28 am

I LOVE cornbread! Absolutely love it! I can’t make any though or I will seriously eat the entire loaf or all of the muffins. I can’t help myself.

Bids Bitchin Kitchen September 2, 2010 at 11:29 am

alcohol?

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 2:15 pm

BBK,
Haha – CD and I love you!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 2, 2010 at 11:45 am

Corn gets a bad rap in many foodie circles b/c it’s “processed” but I dont think any processed corn is any worse/better than processed wheat,for instance, and although many people are allergic to corn, I’d actually say that from an allergenic perspective, I’d go with corn over wheat for many reasons.

I love all your corn pics! I love the popcorn :)

And also those chips from TJ’s, that’s one that I havent bought. They have SO many! Honestly, there’s this brand of corn tortilla chips called Sanitas that I just buy from the regular grocery store, they have been my go-to corn tortilla chip for like 10 years. A huge bag is $2. Can’t beat it. I’m sure the foodies will cry out, but that corn isnt organic or it’s GMO’ed. Oh well, I don’t care :)

Have a great day!

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Averie,
I don’t care either…never met a corn chip I didn’t like…Fritos included. ;)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com September 2, 2010 at 11:46 am

grits is something u never ever hear of over here which is a shame of course. i had a version of grits once which i realized was poorly made and attempted but i guess they tried.. given they had no idea what grits actually were. id love to try some authentic grits just to see how theyre supposed to taste, ya know?
i think i like corn on the cob or corn in chili/stew .. cornmeal isnt too bad tho..

xoxo

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Kelsey,
Yes, you need to try some good grits. Sorry your first experience wasn’t stellar. :(

Alyssa September 2, 2010 at 11:55 am

Heather, although not instant, I love Bob’s Red Mill Might Tasty Hot Cereal :-)

~Alyssa

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Alyssa,
I’ve picked up that bag so many times at Whole Foods, but it’s so pricey compared to oat bran from the bulk bins. However, I think I need to buy it for a special treat. :)

Sandi September 2, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Mmm, grits. My mom used to make grits with cheese sometimes, which was ridiculously delicious. And corn on the cob = best thing ever. Do you like millet? I was surprised when I first had it because I thought it tasted similar to grits. I haven’t had grits in a LONG time though, so maybe it was just my imagination.
Homemade corn tortillas fresh off the stove topped with Barney Butter are also really good when the mood strikes :D

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Sandi,
I do like millet. One of my favorite gluten-free grains! Plus, your fresh corn tortilla with BB sounds like something I would love. Never made my own corn tortillas, and I need to experiment!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 2, 2010 at 12:14 pm

So, not about corn, but I was eating my usual almond butter and honey on toast and I started thinking about when people are pregnant, if they eat a ton of the same food, usually their kid will like that same food. So I’m thinking that when I’m pregnant my kid will love almond butter. Then I thought of you and the HEABlet. Ohhhh is the HEABlet in for a treat when they find how much they crave it :) hehe. Have a good day Heather!

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Michelle,
I sure hope the HEABlet loves almond butter…will give me an excuse to keep a full supply on hand at all times!

Lauren @ 40Apples September 2, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Grits are great! As long as they’re not super duper heavy.

I really, really love fresh corn on the cob. I also love Mexican-style grilled corn – with lime and cotija – either on the cob or in a salad. But my all-time favorite: CORNBREAD!!

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Lauren,
Another commenter mentioned Mexican style grilled corn. Sounds amazing.

Brittac September 2, 2010 at 12:34 pm

LOVE pop corn as well

melissa @ the delicate place September 2, 2010 at 12:41 pm

years ago,i tried really hard to like grits since they are my dad’s fave breakfast. he’d always have them on a family vacation if we were headed south. i guess i’m just a true yank through and through ;p and i am one of those who think corn is the spawn of satan lol but i’m glad you enjoy it anyway! plenty of peeps do!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' September 2, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I love raw corn!! I didn’t even know I “could” eat raw corn until a couple years ago, and since I’ve discovered how sweet and crunchy it is, that’s definitely my preferred way of eating it!

I grew up on grits, so they hold a special place in my heart, too! I always ate mine with about 8 packets of sugar on them at Cracker Barrel, so I’m sure I’d have to update my toppings if I were to eat it again. ;)

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Megan,
My parents always ordered grits at Cracker Barrel…but I always went for pancakes!

Yes, I didn’t discover raw corn until a few years ago either, and whenever I tell people to try it, they look at me like I’m crazy. They’re totally missing out!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 2, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I don’t think corn is the devil, it’s a fine whole grain! :) It’s when humans chemically alter it into science experiments that it becomes unhealthy, lol.

My favorite way is on its own–either on the cob or just the kernels. I also like polenta and tortillas. :D

Jenn

HEAB September 2, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Jenn,
I concur. :)

Megan (Braise The Roof) September 2, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Mashed cauliflower and tortilla chips? Genius! I’ve had my issues with corn in the past, but I love me a good tortilla chip. I don’t think I could ever really give them up!

Erica @ ericaunmasked.blogspot.com September 2, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Hi friend – long time. LOVE the new look! I think if it’s a carb – I love it. but unfortunately they don’t work so well for me. That’s for sure. Hope the HEABlet is doing well. xoxox

Jessica (Fit and Clean) September 2, 2010 at 9:24 pm

I LOVE grits! I ate a lot of them last year when I wanted to switch out my oatmeal. Just with a little bit of salt :) I like corn, but I tend not to eat it often. I’m more into green veggies! Maybe I should have some grits tomorrow for breakfast! Mmmmmm.

HEAB September 3, 2010 at 8:37 am

Jessica,
Soooo, how was your breakfast this morning? ;)

missy miller September 4, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Amen sistah friend!

It’s not the corn…It’s the MAN!
(Damn the man…hahaha) Corn is corn. It is us that is infusing it into every single….well. yOu know the issues there.

Don’t hate the player, hate the game!

~Missy