Goodbye Michigan

by HEAB on September 3, 2010

For the past 2 summers, CD and I have spent part of July and all of August in Colorado. However, this year, we chose to come to Michigan as my doctor was a bit worried about me traveling to altitude during my 3rd trimester. I never thought I would love any place more than my beloved Rocky Mountains, but the past 5 weeks have been amazing…

We traded in our yurt for a lakeside cottage…

96889_img_15611.jpg IMG_5586.JPG

We swapped mountains for the water…

IMG_2961.JPG IMG_5723.JPG

and mountain trails for sand dunes

Burr Trail 014.jpg IMG_5715.JPG

There was deck yoga, but this year with views of the water rather than any Colorado 14ers ..not bad for 7 and 1/2 months preggo, no? Truth be told, I totally toppled over after CD took the photo. ;)

IMG_2934.JPG IMG_5835.JPG

We missed our old friends but made new ones

IMG_3032.JPG IMG_2999.JPG

IMG_5695.JPG P1000485.JPG

All in all, I’d say it was a fair trade, wouldn’t you?

And so our trip ends where it all began…at the Fife Lake Dairy Bar!!! Yesterday was cold and rainy, and CD and I decided to head into town after dinner for one last ice-cream date. I ordered an Oreo flurry with chocolate malt ice-cream, and CD got a large cup of Moose Tracks and Peanut Butter Brownie Crunch. We figured since it was our last night in Michigan, land of all things ice-cream, and we might as well go all out. We then drove down to the lakefront, and enjoyed our dessert in the car with the heat blasting…it was perfect. :)

IMG_5874.JPG IMG_5875.JPG

Again, we’ve had a wonderful Babymoon here in Northern Michigan. Thanks for joining us on our trip, and I hope you’ll be back next year! Come on…you know you can’t wait to see photos of the HEABlet on the beach. :)

Cynthia (It All Changes) September 4, 2010 at 6:45 am

Wow amazingly flexible momma to be. Sounds like a great trade and perfect to give you one last bit of fun just the two of you before you become a lovely threesome :-)

Jessica September 4, 2010 at 6:48 am

Good morning, Heather! Great post!

Meghan September 4, 2010 at 6:49 am

Thank you for sharing your vacation with all of us–and way to rock that yoga pose!

Ana September 4, 2010 at 7:11 am

Lovely post and you are in awesome shape, look at that pose!
It was really fun to read about your vacations these past weeks Heather, I had no idea how Michigan was!

Andrea September 4, 2010 at 7:14 am

I recently found your blog and I must say that I absolutely enjoyed following you and CD’s adventures in Michigan. My husband and I are inspired to venture up there from Pittsburgh with our family. Thanks muchly….and keep those recipes coming- I am finally losing my last 10-15 pounds of baby weight since eliminating refined sugar from my diet.
Vivre, Rire, Aimer!
Andrea

HEAB September 4, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Andrea,
So glad you found me and thanks for reading my blog. So cool you’re going to Michigan – I hope you love it as much as we did and many congrats on the weight loss. That’s awesome! :)

Emily September 5, 2010 at 9:23 am

I just had to comment because I ALSO am finally losing the last 15 lbs of baby weight by eliminating refined/added sugar from my diet (thanks to http://www.paigelysaght.com ‘s sugar challenge)! I especially notice my waist getting smaller, yay! That’s why I really love that I found HEAB since the recipes are creative and healthy. My baby is almost 5 months now and I just ran a 10k this morning for the first time since having her. I couldn’t be happier! I added nut butter to my oats this morning and plan to make HEAB’s butternut squash burrito for lunch. I don’t even miss the sugar and am way more excited about (and satisfied with) my meals! Thanks HEAB!

HEAB September 5, 2010 at 9:41 am

Emily,
That is awesome. Can’t believe you ran a 10K this morning. Very inspiring! So glad to hear you’re doing so well without sugar. Now that I’m no longer a 5 minute walk from the local dairy bar, I plan to get back to my little to no-sugar lifestyle, and I can’t wait. I feel so much better when I eat that way! Again, congrats on the birth of your little one and for losing the weight!

Emily September 5, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Thanks so much Heather! It sure wasn’t easy to get back into things. The first couple months were hard. I felt like I barely had time to go to the bathroom, let alone eat healthy and exercise! But it gets better. :)

HEAB September 5, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Emily,
That’s what I hear…one of my friends told me she kept leaving the house without brushing her teeth after her baby was born – she just kept forgetting or didn’t have time…kind of scares me, but I know I’ll adjust eventually, even if the first few months are crazy. Thanks for the encouragement! :)

Marisa @ Loser for Life September 4, 2010 at 7:16 am

What a wonderful vacation! I would love to visit Michigan one day!
Have a safe trip back to Nashville!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) September 4, 2010 at 7:30 am

Looks like a beautiful, beautiful vacation, and I’ve said it before- but I LOVE the idea of a babymoon and I love that you had a great time :)

xo
Kris

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 4, 2010 at 7:39 am

Regardless of you falling over after that shot…that is impressive! Both places are beautiful. Glad you had such a good time and I hope you return home refreshed and ready for some nesting time! Have a safe trip home!

polly September 4, 2010 at 7:44 am

What a beautiful post, Heather. Your love for life and Chris and Heablette shine all the time. That yoga pose is rockin, too girlie!
Love you so much. Safe travels. If you have to go potty, you can pit stop at my house. :)

We’ll be in Nashville in a few weeks… I gotta see that cute belly of yours peachy! :D XOXO

HEAB September 4, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Polly,
Love you, and sooooo super excited you’re coming to Nashville. When? When? When? Hopefully we can sneak in a yoga class, church, or lunch or something. We didn’t end up driving through Ft. Wayne on our way back. Drove home via Gary, IN, and made it back to Nashville in about 9 and 1/2 hours. No traffic, and on labor day – so nice! See you soon muh peach! :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit September 4, 2010 at 7:47 am

What a great opportunity to be able to take such a wonderful vacation right before the baby arrives :-) That yoga picture is very impressive! (Both of them are, actually- I can’t do that pose yet!).
Do you two live in a yurt in Tennessee?? My mom lived in one in Michigan, actually, before I was born.

HEAB September 4, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Annie,
Hehe – no, but sometimes I wish we did. We actually live in a 1920′s Tudor here in TN. Love our house, but it’s old and requires a lot of work. We rented that yurt in Woodland Park, CO last year. Such a cool experience!

Jessica @ How Sweet September 4, 2010 at 7:47 am

I can’t believe it’s already time for you to come home! It flew by!

HEAB September 4, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Tell me about it. We were so sad to leave. :(

Kiersten September 4, 2010 at 8:03 am

Your trip looks like it was lovely! I am glad you both enjoyed yourselves. I bet the Dairy Bar is sad to see you go.

HEAB September 4, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Kiersten,
Haha…yep, I think they probably were too. We definitely did our share to keep that place in business this month!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? September 4, 2010 at 8:27 am

It looks like you had a wonderful time! I’m a little sad you wont be in Chicago this weekend… ok, more than a little sad. But once the HEABlet comes, you’ll have to bring the whole clan up here for a Cubs game!

HEAB September 4, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Mara,
I’m sad we missed Labor Day in Chicago as well…hopefully next year! I need my annual baseball fix. :)

eatmovelove September 4, 2010 at 8:45 am

Wow, feels like you just got there! I think trading the mountains for the water was a good deal. Love that you embraced the Dairy Bar. And wise final choice! I had pizza last night and am pretty sure it was under-cooked. The (surplus) cheese is still making me sick…ugh.

Safe travels though!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) September 4, 2010 at 8:47 am

Can’t wait to see that baby heablet on the beach! Ugh she is going to be so adorable. I can’t believe 5 weeks is over already. It’ll be nice to look back on your blog and read through the memories again :)

holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 4, 2010 at 8:47 am

What a lovely trip Heather! Thanks for sharing it all with us. Even if you did topple over you look great doing deck yoga!

Have a safe trip home!

homecookedem September 4, 2010 at 8:59 am

You and CD really know how to vacation!! Glad yall had a wonderful time!! :) Travel safely back home!! :)

Nicole September 4, 2010 at 9:04 am

Aww I can’t believe how fast this time went by! Have a safe trip home!! <3

lindsay September 4, 2010 at 9:08 am

Babymoons are such a great idea! YOu are literally glowing the whole time. What precious memories you have made, especially with the dairy shop! hehe. :)

christina cadden September 4, 2010 at 9:14 am

How much fun!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com September 4, 2010 at 9:22 am

its hard to compare huh- both places have their own unique adventures and landscapes. both a breathtaking. Of course, seeing the little one at the beach is going to be priceless and the best part is being able to share all this with you from afar <3

enjoy the weekend Heather :)
xoxo

HEAB September 4, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Thanks Kelsey. I hope you have a wonderful weekend as well. :)

Monica September 4, 2010 at 9:24 am

What a lovely last night in Michigan!

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 4, 2010 at 9:31 am

definitely an even trade :) where did y’all stay when you came to colorado?

HEAB September 4, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Heather,
Two years ago we stayed in Manitou Springs for a month. Then last year, we stayed in a Westcliffe for 2 and weeks and rented that yurt in Woodland Park for 3. Loved the yurt…well, love your whole state! :)

Dorry September 4, 2010 at 9:51 am

Heather – it’s awesome to see the 5 weeks summed up! I’m sure it’s bittersweet that your time is over but aren’t you excited to get back into your own kitchen?? Safe travels. xoxo

HEAB September 4, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Dorry,
YES! Already used my Vita-Mix. :)

Little Bookworm September 4, 2010 at 9:55 am

Great post Heather! Love the sound of the ice cream you and CD had. :)

Lauren September 4, 2010 at 9:55 am

Great post and loved seeing the side-by-side comparisons!

Michelle September 4, 2010 at 10:11 am

lol! My mom and I are the Queens of Eating Ice Cream in the Car with the Heat Blasting! I am teaching my girls the fine art ;-) Cold weather should stop no one from eating it :-)

HEAB September 4, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Michelle,
Agreed! I will definitely be teaching the HEABlet this very important lesson as well. ;)

Lizlivingvegan September 4, 2010 at 10:35 am

I’m glad you had a good time!! It looks like such a beautiful place :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 4, 2010 at 10:41 am

Pretty impressive with the yoga stance in your 3rd trimester! Even if you did topple over…you still held it for a little bit! :P

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 4, 2010 at 11:41 am

It doesn’t matter if you toppled over after that pose. You are 7 1/2 months pregnant and got up into that pose :)

Abby September 4, 2010 at 11:51 am

Yay for Michigan and ice cream! It was fun to follow you guys on your adventures, as even though I live in Michigan, I hadn’t been to any of your stops. Guess I could take a vacation in my own state, huh?

You look so healthy and happy and I wish you luck in the next couple of months!

HEAB September 4, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Thanks Abby, and yes, get out and see more of your home state. Such an amazing place! :)

Deb (SmoothieGirl) September 4, 2010 at 11:55 am

I love the side-by-side vacay photos. Looks like two kinds of paradises to me :-)

Safe travels home my friend!

HEAB September 4, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Thanks Deb. Miss you…we need to chat soon!

Paige @ Running Around Normal September 4, 2010 at 1:09 pm

It sounds like a wonderful change of pace:) What a lovely summer!

MoniMeals September 4, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Sweeeet Yoga Poses, Hot Mama! I had no idea you had been living in CO in the past!! I grew up in Littleton, moved to Steamboat Springs (also got married there), then lived in Denver. How about you?

HEAB September 4, 2010 at 10:58 pm

MoniMeals,
We actually live in Nashville but spent the past 2 summers in Colorado, mostly outside of Colorado Springs near Pike’s Peak. Love your home state! :)

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) September 4, 2010 at 1:22 pm

It’s so great that you don’t feel like you missed out by not going to Colorado!
Love the yoga poses! Too cute :)

BroccoliHut September 4, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Thanks so much for sharing your vacation with us–I’ve love reading about every one of your dairy bar treats:)

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 4, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Excellent job choosing your last ice cream treat!!!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 4, 2010 at 1:27 pm

It’s so amazing to see the side by side photo comparison of the 2 years…I remember last year’s yurt, yoga pose, and trip VERY well. I was in the process of moving to Phoenix and had just gotten there when you were in CO and seeing these pics makes it feel like in a way it was wayyyy longer than a year ago and in some ways, it makes it feel like it was just yesterday.

Anyway, great comparison and glad you and CD have had such a phenomenal trip! It truly has looked amazing! And if you didnt tell anyone, some of your lake pics could be stand-ins for Caribbean ocean waters!

Your yoga pic at 7.5 mos…you are rockin it!! Even if you did topple over after the photo :)

Safe travels home!

HEAB September 4, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Averie,
Gosh, it seems like forever ago that you moved to AZ…was it just last summer? And now, you’ve already left, and I never got to see you there. :( Oh well, just means I’ll have to get my butt to San Diego someday…as long as you promise to take me to the vegan ice-cream creamery, I’m so there! :)

caronae September 4, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I’m so glad you had a relaxing vacation/babymoon Heather! I’m also glad that you loved Michigan — it truly is a great state. I like the combination of accessible culture/cities and wilderness. I wasn’t there all summer; I can’t believe it! I missed out on ice cream (especially blue moon :) ) and sand dunes and Lake MI. Sad Caronae.

I can’t wait till next summer when, hopefully I’ll be there, at least for a little while, and I get to see adorable pictures of HEABlet.

Happy weekend!

HEAB September 4, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Caronae,
We plan to go back next summer, and you and I should meet up for ice-cream. You can get your Blue Moon, and I’ll get some Moose Tracks! :) Happy Heather/Happy Caronae. :)

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels September 4, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Thank you for sharing your wonderful vacation with us! And that yoga pose impressive. :) I must add that your choice of ice cream sounds soooo delicious.

HEAB September 4, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Thanks Lindsey, and it was. However, put Oreos on or in anything, and I’m a happy girl. :)

Samantha September 4, 2010 at 5:59 pm

So glad you guys had a wonderful Babymoon, and shared it with your readers. Safe travels back home. (and yes, your ice cream choice, WOW!)

kelli September 4, 2010 at 7:57 pm

impressive I can’t even do that and I am ot even pregnant! aha

Mimi September 5, 2010 at 12:53 am

I’m so glad that you got to experience Michigan. Northern Michigan in the summer is truly my favorite place on earth. I mean, it really has it all: Water, views, trails, charm and Moose Tracks…

HEAB September 5, 2010 at 8:39 am

Mimi,
Hehe, I couldn’t agree more. We have an amazing time and can’t wait to go back next summer!

Laura September 5, 2010 at 7:01 am

I’m glad you had such a great time up here! Safe travels back home!

Sylvia September 5, 2010 at 7:55 am

Yay, so happy that you had a wonderful babymoon! And keep up with the good eats; my boyfriend thinks I’m crazy and won’t go near me after I made my blended yam with oats breakfast yesterday, hahaa ;)

HEAB September 5, 2010 at 8:38 am

Sylvia,
Sometimes, boys just don’t get it. Convert him with banana soft serve! ;)

Sylvia September 5, 2010 at 10:15 am

Oh I did! But then he was like, “I don’t like eating it from a bowl. I want to eat it in a cone!” What a boy ;) And he didn’t really believe me when I said that I used cream – hey, you gotta tell whatever lies to convert them and then you slowly tell him the truth haha :)

A Teenage Gourmet September 5, 2010 at 8:14 am

These are links that will take you to my Sunny Side Oats creation! :)
Recipe: http://www.KathEats.com/the-best-of-both-worlds/

My picture & Winners: http://www.KathEats.com/and-the-winners-are/

HEAB September 5, 2010 at 8:37 am

Teenage Gourmet – thanks Sami! Looks amazing. Love the fresh basil. :)