Sugar High

by HEAB on September 8, 2010

Today’s breakfast:

23445123559_ORIG.jpeg

Blech!

This morning, I had my blood sugar stress test to check for gestational diabetes, and I had to drink the above drink which was basically dextrose mixed with water. I was hoping my doctor would have the lemon-lime flavor available so I could avoid the food coloring, but nope, my choices were either orange or fruit punch. So, I went with the orange, and it tasted like Sunkist soda concentrate. CD was laughing at me because I immediately turned the bottle around to look for the nutritional info, but there was none. Ha, I’m probably better off not knowing. After guzzling it down, the HEABlet immediately started kicking. Oh gosh, I hope she’s not born with my sweet tooth! ;) Anyway, after a quick exam from the doctor, I had my blood drawn exactly one hour later. Hopefully, my results will come back normal, and I’ll keep you guys posted. According to my doctor, everything else looks great. I’m officially 30 weeks along with 10 more to go, and I’ve gained a total of 16 pounds. It’s all in my belly, and I am so thankful I can still fit into most of my pants…I just have to button below the gut and wear a belt. :)

After my appointment, I came home and did some stuff around the house, and by noon, I was starving as I hadn’t eaten before before the blood sugar test. The thought of something sweet made my stomach turn, and so I went with a big bowl of savory grits.

Sami shared her recipe with me for Sunny Side Oats via KERF, and it is delicious. Thanks Sami! I cooked 2 servings of Quaker grits with water and topped them with an egg, goat cheese (which they now sell at Costco – so excited!!!), fresh basil, salt and pepper. Unfortunately, I forgot the wing sauce – next time for sure!

The remainder of the afternoon has involved waiting around for our plumber. I was really hoping to get in some hiking with the pups, but it’s looking like that is not going to happen. Oh well, perhaps my body is in need of some online yoga instead.

What’s your favorite use for basil? Mine is pesto!!!!

Jessica @ How Sweet September 8, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I am not a basil lover… I know I am in the minority. I think it comes with my dislike for tomato sauce too.

Steph September 8, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I love fresh basil on pizza and mixed with parmesan cheese, cherry tomatoes, kalmata olives, and a little drizzle of oil – perfect side dish or with some grilled chicken!

homecookedem September 8, 2010 at 3:43 pm

I have my sugar drink in the fridge ready to drink before my next appointment on Oct. 1! So not looking forward to it, but oh well. Fingers crossed for good test results for you and me both!! :)

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Em,
It wasn’t horrible, and I felt fine afterwards. I’ve heard horror stories of women feeling sick all day after drinking…perhaps all the ice-cream I ate in Michigan prepared me well. ;) Good luck – you’ll do just fine on October 1. :)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 8, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I had to drink gatorade after I passed out while giving blood. I really didn’t want to drink it, but they pretty much forced me to. I realized how far my tastebuds had come when I couldn’t stand even the lemon-lime flavor. Yuck! Next time (if I try again, that is) I’m bringing my own organic Refresh sports drink.

I love basil in Caprese salad and Mama Peas’ Creamy Lemon Pasta.

Lissa September 8, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Laughing b/c I was wondering the SAME thing. I have to take that glucose test in two weeks and was thinking it’s PURE sugar! I’d much rather eat candy corn ;) Hope it went well and lucky you–I’m 25 weeks and I’ve gained about 10 lbs so far, but *def.* can’t wear my pants!! Sad, because I didn’t get much use out of the Bella Band. I’m guessing post-partum I’ll be able to use it more?

I love fresh basil on pizza/in homemade sauce or, as my family would say, “gravy.”

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Lissa,
Well, my jeans were already a little too big to begin with – they seem to be fitting better now. Just proves that my mom is right – I always buy a size bigger than I usually need. And yes, I bet that bella band will come in handy post-partum. A friend gave me one of those belly wrap things to wear after the baby is born, and you better believe I’ll be squeezing into that thing as soon as I can. I hear they really help keep everything “in”. ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 8, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Oh YUCK! That stuff is gross! I only had the choice of orange. I did the same thing and looked for stats. Uncarbinated sugar drink is all you can say about that. I hope the results come back good for you! So, are you 20 or 30 weeks? My sister is now 32 weeks and she just got released from the hospital to go home for bed rest. She has been in the hospital for 10 weeks. I feel so bad for her this time around. I could not imagine being stuck in a bed for that long. Your eats look delicious and yeah, the wing sauce would have been perfect!

Oh and basil fresh in salads is great too. I LOVE fresh herbs in my salads.

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Sarena,
30 weeks – just edited. :)

So sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. I believe she and I met via the comment section in Facebook not too long ago. I hope she’s doing okay – at least she gets to be in her own bed now. Even so, I would still be going crazy!

When you get a chance, would you mind sending me your recipe for hemp fudge? I thought you had sent it to me before, but I’m misplaced the email. I’ve got some hemp protein powder samples just begging to be made into something edible…if that’s even possible. ;) Thank you!!!

carolyn September 8, 2010 at 4:28 pm

hemp fudge.. righhhhht …is that like pot brownies…? :-o

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Carolyn,
Ha, not quite. ;)

Ana September 8, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Haha, that was funny!! :-)

Shelly September 8, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I put an egg on everything (seriously, I’ve topped pasta, brown rice risotto, barley risotto, quinoa, and kale with an egg or two, and that’s just off the top of my head!) so I’m amazed I haven’t topped my oatmeal with an egg yet. That will have to change VERY soon! Yum!

Little Bookworm September 8, 2010 at 4:02 pm

My favourite use for basil is pesto too! :D I love using dried basil in tomato pasta sauce though.

kristy @ kristyruns.com September 8, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Yuck! I’ve had to drink that stuff before. Horrible!

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 8, 2010 at 4:05 pm

homemade margherita pizza! nothing better than fresh basil, great sauce, perfect crust, and cheese.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 8, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Sounds like everything is going great for you and the HEABlet!

Your savory grits look great — although I have yet to try grits or oats with an egg on top. It still just sounds so funny to me.

I’ll top my pasta or pizza with some fresh basil. Other than that I never really use it!

Marisa September 8, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I always tell my clients to ask their OB if they could just go in w/o having eaten the night before. I never took the drink with either of my pregnancies just when in for the draw. i wonder if it has to do with family history?

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Marisa,
Thanks – I’ll remember that if there is a HEABlet #2. :)

Michelle (@ Housewife in the Raw) September 8, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I HATE that drink. It made me feel all shaky. With my first I failed the first test and had to do the 3 hr test which was miserable. An even sweeter drink and you have to spend 3 hours sitting in the waiting room. I read a lot of Harry Potter. Thankfully I passed that test and didn’t have to deal with GD. 30 weeks? You’re entering the home stretch!!

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Michelle,
Oh gosh, that sounds awful, but at least you didn’t have GD! Yep, 30 weeks – can you believe it? She’ll be here before we know it!

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama September 8, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Oh I remember that day from my pregnancy. The drink was horrible and I think I ended up sleeping most of the day from it. Not fun. But no diabetes =)

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Tasha,
Yeah, I’ve been super tired today, and I thought the drink would have the opposite effect. Can’t wait to crawl into bed tonight.

MarathonVal September 8, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Haha, well I just yesterday posted about a recipe for Basil Chocolate Fudge Brownies and most people commented that that was pretty weird… I liked them though :) I think basil is good with anything!

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 6:22 pm

MarathonVal,
You know I me of all people does not think that basil chocolate brownies sound weird at all!

Carolyn September 8, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I think it was a beautiful giant fresh basil leaf laying on top of my caprese salad stack we decided i should get at the Italian restaurant i went to with my friend, right? Anyway that thing was great shredded up on every bite.. So that is my favorite…

If they told you the nutrition in the “easy”dex you immediatly would have blood pressure issues from the news, so they dont. I should tell you i tried to google the nutritional info for it and found out from my results that

1) you can buy it on Amazon.com and
2) Every other hit on my search, sesides the Amazon hit, turned up a listing for easySEX!!! :-)

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Carolyn,
Hehe – you know I came home and googled it, and came up with the same exact results. :)

Erica September 8, 2010 at 4:41 pm

SO glad to hear the test results were normal! Fantastic!! Orange soda concentrate? Ick….Hope you’re having a good week!

Paula September 8, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Ooh! My cousin used to tell me about that stuff. She loves sweet and even said that it was too sweet! I can’t believe you only have 10 more weeks, where did the time even go!? You are so lucky to have only gained in your belly. :)

S September 8, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I’m amazed by people who only get pregnant in the belly… since I’m not yet fitting my fave jeans yet, the fact that you are at 30 weeks makes me smile. :) Well played!

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 6:22 pm

S,
Well, I still have 10 weeks to go…hope it all stays in the belly! ;)

Tyrah September 8, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Our favorite way to eat basil lately is in quesadillas:
brown rice tortilla, dijon mustard, fresh tomato slices, lots of fresh basil leaves, onion, and daiya. It’s SO good!

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Tyrah,
Sounds SO good – thankfully I just restocked the brown rice tortillas. Now I just need some tomatoes!

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey September 8, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Yeah, like you, I think I would be better off not knowing what was in the stuff! lol. Love Sami’s blog–that bowl of oats looks awesome. :)

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 8, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Oh I feel you. Doctors make you drink the grossest things before exams! Before my CT Scan, I had to drink (what seemed like) HUGE bottles of banana-flavored chalk-goop. Barf.

Congratulations on your healthy pregnancy and healthy HEABlet.

I agree that pesto is an ideal use for basil, as is margherita pizza.

Bess @ Bess Be Fit September 8, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I love it for pesto as well. And I agree with you about the online yoga….I’m too tired to do anything else today so I think some stretching and meditation would do my body (and mind!) good. And congrats on still being able to wear your pants! :)

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Bess,
Hope you enjoyed your yoga. :)

Meghan September 8, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I am sorry you had to drink that gross drink-ew! I love fresh basil and mozzarella. Also, since you are the nut butter queen, I have a question, do you refrigerate your Justin’s Almond butter? I threw it in the fridge because others I have had said to but I hate how it loses its creaminess–and might I add I am in LOVE with chocolate almond butter.

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Meghan,
Yes, chocolate almond butter is so good, especially Justin’s! And no, I never refrigerate my roasted nut butters as they never last more than a week or two in our house. I sometimes refrigerate the raw ones, and I always keep tahini in the fridge, but other than that, all nut butters go in the cabinet.

Dorry September 8, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Yum! I love fresh basil on pizza. :)

Katie September 8, 2010 at 5:35 pm

I love pesto. Or basil in scrambled eggs. I just really love basil.

Welcome back home, too!! I was on vacation and just caught up on your blog, but didn’t comment….

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Katie,
No commenting necessary. :)

Lara (Thinspired) September 8, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Oh Heabie, it cracks me up that you went to look for nutrition info. Working for a nutrition analysis company (and just being a numbers nut myself), I just love that.

I recently had blood drawn and brought my own coconut water to replenish afterward. Matt laughed how quickly I snubbed away their gross fake juice at the hospital. EWW!

Basil + Marinara = Love.

I can’t believe you have only gained 16 pounds! I am pretty sure I can gain that after eating a pasta dinner :) I am so excited to “meet” the Heablet! <3

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Lara,
I love that you brought coconut water – totally something I would do. Hope you are well, and the HEABlet can’t wait to meet you either…me too. Someday, we will meet in person!

Eden September 8, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I use instead of lettuce sometimes in sandwiches. I also thinks it goes great when blended into a batter of savory waffles!

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Eden,
Oooh, basil in savory waffles…yum! Great idea. :)

VeggieGirl September 8, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Basil pesto FTW!!!

Kristen September 8, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I am a phlebotomist, and I see ladies come in all the time for 3-hour glucose tolerances.
And I remember having to take it for my own 3-hour tolerance.
I am glad it wasn’t too terrible for you, and the HEABlet didn’t react negatively.

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Thanks Kristen – me too. :)

Kate September 8, 2010 at 6:36 pm

I heart basil!!! My “go-to” sandwich that I eat far too often consists of: ciabatta bread (or any other delicious bread) topped with fresh tomatoes, basil, feta cheese, lemon pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. ADDICTIVE!!!! Try it — SO GOOD! Congrats on your pregnancy — you look amazing! I had a little girl three weeks ago on Friday — you will love motherhood! :)

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Kate,
Many congrats on your baby girl – so exciting! Your “go-to” sandwich sounds delicious. I need to get my hands on some fresh tomatoes!

Gina September 8, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I had gestational diabetes and it sucked. I hope you don’t! The only positive thing about my having it was that it got my butt in gear to lose the excess weight that’s plagued me all my life. I was almost 40, overweight with GD and a father with Type II diabetes, so all the signs were there that I would slide into Type II as well. I lost 70+ lbs after my daughter was born and have kept it off ever since (with the help of blogs like yours!). She’s 7 now and I hope that as long as I continue to be careful this is it, for life, weight gone!

Basil = love & yum! I love it chopped up on home grown heirloom tomatoes along with buffalo mozzarella & a drizzle of good olive oil.

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Gina,
Sorry you had to experience gestational diabetes, but it sounds like some good things definitely came of it…keep up the good work and many congrats on your weight loss!

Jennifer R September 8, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Oh, I remember those glucose tests with all 3 of my pregnancies and hated them! With my first one, it pretty much knocked me out and I slept the whole afternoon. I think by my 3rd child, I cheated and had a few nuts before I went (I could not go that long without eating in the morning without feeling like I would pass out). Really, do they think we would have that sugar drink on an empty stomach normally??!! No way!
Hope the rest of your pregnancy goes super fantastic!! It’s all so amazing — a little baby growing inside of you :)

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Thanks Jennifer! I’ve been so tired all day. Weird as I thought that drink would have the opposite effect on me. So excited about crawling into bed tonight!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) September 8, 2010 at 7:15 pm

A-ha! You haven’t been reading my blog! :-) Yesterday’s post was on basil-muddled water! But honestly my fave use would HAVE to be pesto.

Fingers crossed for NO diabetes!

Sagan September 8, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Ooh I’d never even THOUGHT of putting an egg on my oatmeal! I can’t wait to try that! Oats + water + poached egg + jalapeno cheese. Maybe a bit of thyme, basil, and oregano. That’s what I’m going to do to mine :D

I just finished re-writing/editing a book about pregnancy for the government to give to immigrants. Kinda neat to read about your experiences with it here after learning about the different stages of pregnancy!

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Sagan,
How do you keep up with your blog – seems like you have so many other writing projects going on. I’m impressed,and very cool that you just wrote a book about pregnancy. :)

I think you’ll love your savory bowl of oats…definitely add some basil! :)

Stefanie September 8, 2010 at 7:26 pm

I am not a big basil fan. I’ll eat it if it is in a dish but I don’t use it much when cooking. I mainly use it in pasta sauces.

I had to drink that orange flavored drink when I did a test for diabetes a year ago. It is super sweet and makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it. I’m sure your results will come back normal.

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Stefanie,
I hope so!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 8, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Awwe, the lil HEABlet’s first sugar rush! :P

eatmovelove September 8, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I’ve heard “horror” stories about that drink – so it just goes to show how tough you are. THAT’s why the little HEABlet was kicking! Tough like her ma no doubt ;) .

Basil? Pretty much in/on any dish – sprinkled over veggies (with spaghetti sauce – no surprise there) and on top of home-made pizza crust is good – takes away any blandness.

Peace.

BroccoliHut September 8, 2010 at 8:24 pm

That stuff looks like what my mom had to drink before her colonoscopy–sorry was that TMI?

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 8:38 pm

BroccoliHut,
Nope, my mom had a colonoscopy recently, and the 24 hours prior to the test were awful – I can’t believe all the stuff she had to drink. My test today was definitely not nearly as bad!

Alyssa September 8, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Heather, I would have to agree with you on the pesto! Or Caprese salads :-) YUM! Great job on the baby weight! I hope I have as much discipline and good luck as you have!

~Alyssa

HEAB September 8, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Thanks Alyssa. :)

Ashlee September 8, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I hated drinking that drink!!!! It was SO sweet! My doctor’s office only had the orange unless you were doing the three hour test. Then the drink was different and you can choose. My blood sugar was fine which was surprising because all I ate were carbs (and not the good kind!).

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 9:09 am

Ashlee,
Yeah, I was worried about that as during my first trimester, I craved a lot of junk, read Pop-Tarts! However, my doctor told me you either get GD or not, regardless of what you eat during pregnancy. I find that hard to believe, but fingers crossed my blood work comes out okay. Once the first trimester blahs ended, I did clean up my diet…’cept for some minor ice-cream slips here and there. ;)

Ana September 8, 2010 at 9:05 pm

30 weeks already, wow, that is awesome!
Hoping you get great results back from your blood work Heather. I had to do that test twice and drinking that stuff more than once was seriously the worse part of the pregnancy to me – I was one of the ones who felt horrible afterward.
I like basil in pesto too. Basil is my favorite herb and I add it to all salads and veggies I make during summer. I especially like with tomatoes and balsamic vinegar (classic!), but also love it in salad dressings or chopped with veggies (like zucchini for example).

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 9:11 am

Ana,
Yes, I remember you telling me you had to take that horrible test twice. I am so sorry! Thankfully, I felt fine afterwards…just glad it’s over, and my basil topped lunch made me very happy. :)

Emily September 8, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I just found an awesome new recipe for fresh basil, it’s a hummus/pesto hybrid, so good!! The recipe is on this page of my blog:

Pure2raw twins September 8, 2010 at 9:59 pm

So glad to hear you and the little one are doing great…sweet tooth, welcome to the club, haha ; )

Love basil…actually to fresh bunches of it at the farmers market today, one green and one purple….love using it everything from smoothies, puddings, sauces, dressings, and ice cream ; )

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 9:12 am

Pure2Raw,
I’ve never tried purple basil, but I bet it makes vanilla ice-cream look so pretty and taste delicious! :)

A Teenage Gourmet September 8, 2010 at 10:07 pm

:D Thank you, Heather!

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 9:12 am

Sami,
Thank YOU! :)

Dea September 8, 2010 at 11:21 pm

ACK that sugar stuff is horrible, horrible! I fought with my doctor both times about taking it. Blah. (there’s more to the story, not just me not wanting it.) Have you tried the elastic trick with your pants? I didn’t need to wear mat pants until the very end with my 2nd baby ’cause of the trick! Oh and bella bands, I love them!

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 9:13 am

Dea,
I know about the elastic trick, but haven’t really had to use it yet, and I’ve heard wonderful things about Bella Bands. May have to purchase one in the next month or so. :)

Kim September 8, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Oh, I remember that horrible drink! I felt “fine” after the visit, so wonderful we went to Home Depot as we were knee deep in some renovations ourselves ( must be that nesting thing). About 15 mins later, I got sweaty, shaky and felt like I was going to puke. Test came back just fine. I have really, really low blood sugar anyways (too low) and very low resting heart rate/ blood pressure, so maybe that had something to do with it? Who knows!

I wouldnt worry about the Heablet being a sugar addict. Good habits bring healthy choices. Case in point, we have 2 bags of Gluten Free cookies, the $7 all natural marshmellows from Whole Paycheck, GF Black Scottie dogs from T Joe’s, and some random bag o crap candy from a child’s birthday celebration @ school. All of these are all unopened, all just sitting. Bella can have them if she wants. Does she, umm nope! She opted for air popped pop corn with our fav coconut oil or coconut ice cream with a dollop of Truwhip. Or the newest favorite, a “slushie” or Acai juice frozen pulverized in the Ninja blender. So, you instill healthy eating habits, and their tiny taste buds will lead the way, kinda amazing no?

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 9:14 am

Kim,
Love that little Bella. Thanks for the encouragement! :)

Still Life in Southeast Asia September 8, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Heather,

I know that I don’t comment every day, but you always bring a smile to my face. Thanks so much for sharing your happiness every day. I’m so excited that you and C.D. are bringing another ray of sunshine into the world with the HEABlet.

Those grits look fantastic!! I never knew they could look soo good. Bless you, darlin!

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 9:06 am

Still LIfe in Southeast Asia,
What a wonderful comment to read first thing this morning. Thanks so much. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 9, 2010 at 1:24 am

Good luck with the blood test! I just bought a glucose monitor (Accu-Chek) so I could test out of curiosity. I was concerned after my sugar was 148 in the midst of heat exhaustion, but fasting it’s been 93-102, which is normal, THANKFULLY!

You’re doing so amazing with your pregnancy! Wow, only 10 weeks to go. That’s SO exciting!! :)

Jenn

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 9:04 am

Jenn,

CD always talks about wanting a glucose monitor after we see commercials with the diabetes guy. It would be interesting to measure at different times of the day.

Kayla @ Let's Live Wholesome September 9, 2010 at 7:03 am

Oh my gosh, when you said your little girl started kicking when you drank the nasty sugar water, my heart melted! How precious and amazing life is!

nicole September 9, 2010 at 7:35 am

Aww! Those sugar tests suck! I felt the same way when I took mine (I chose the fruit punch) and I didn’t touch sugar for the rest of the day!
I laughed when you said the HEABlet kicked like crazy when you drank it. She was probably like, “YES PLEASE!!!”
Basil-I only like pesto that’s not made with pine nuts. I made it with toasted walnuts one time (I may have gotten the idea from you) and it was awesome. I also like making fresh mozz sammies with tomatoes and fresh basl. Yum!

Beth September 9, 2010 at 7:53 am

You are so lucky that you have only gained in the belly area! I hope I am the same…hopefully in the next year we’ll be prego, but you never know.

I love pesto, especially on caprese! Love all of the fresh ingredients.

Beth September 9, 2010 at 7:56 am

Oops, too early! I meant I love basil :)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com September 9, 2010 at 10:36 am

i remember taking this test last year for diabetes. they only had one flavor left which was the orange- not too bad. thankfully no diabetes but it was funny having to collect my pee in a jug.. they didnt give me a funnel tho lol.. so can u imagine trying to aim into a bottle that had a similar size and shape as a bleach bottle.. not cool haha.. but then again, the nurses werent very prepared.. and never really are here!

xoxo

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 11:12 am

Kelsey,
Oh my goodness – you poor thing. I hope they’ve thought to give out funnels by now! ;)

Sylvia September 9, 2010 at 11:43 am

My favorite way to use basil I remember was a panini sandwich. It would consist of two slices of bread with a slice or two brushed with some olive oil on the outside of one slice of bread and then the other with swiss or mozarella cheese, then a lot of sprinkling of dried basil on top of the cheese and then the whole thing broiled to crispy perfection. Then put the two slices of bread together with tomatoes in the middle and then brush the other side of bread down with olive oil. Then a little bit more broiling – viola, instant perfection. And I’m drooling just thinking of it now… :)

Speaking of peeing into a cup (above post, hehe), the nurses that I go to don’t even give me a funnel. They hand me a small cup and a test tube as well as a plastic examination bag. So basically they expect me to pee into the small cup, then pour the pee into the test tube, close it, and zip the whole tube into the examination bag. Which is really gross when I have to pour the pee into the test tube because the cup’s mouth is wide and it ALWAYS spills. Ugh. :-/

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Sylvia,
Yeah, I’m pretty much wiping drool from my chin right now. ;)

Amy September 9, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I actually grew basil this year and that is saying a lot for me because I do NOT have a green thumb! It is actually really easy to grow and the more you harvest it, the more it produces. I made a ton of pesto with the raw recipe you used and have a lot of extra in my freezer (I put it in ice-cube trays and then bagged it up). The pesto is great in pasta and on pizza (as you’ve said) and on sandwiches of fresh veggies. I put my fresh basil in tomato sauce too and many other recipes I found that call for basil.

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Amy,

So jealous. I tried to grow basil one year and managed to kill it…which I heard was basically impossible. However, you give me hope. I should really try again. I want an abundance of pesto in my freezer too! ;)

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat September 9, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I am so glad the results came back good! I had to have that test done a month or so ago and it was not my idea of a fun time. I was afraid I was going to pass out from sugar crash, but luckily I was okay too :)

So glad that everything is going well for you and the HEAB-let!

Lea @ Healthy Coconut September 9, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Lately I’ve been enjoying chopped basil with quinoa, roasted almonds and raisins. Good combo :)

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Lea,
Yum – I love raisins and almond together in anything. Such a good sweet/savory combo…and with the addition of basil? Even betta! :)

{ 1 trackback }