Hemp Does Not Have To Taste Like Dirt

by HEAB on September 9, 2010

Thanks so much for all your encouragement regarding the HEABlet’s diet, and yes, I definitely plan on sharing my baby food recipes with all of you when I start experimenting.

This afternoon’s post is all about some chocolate lovin’. Last night after dinner, I was in the mood for something cold and sweet…read I was really missing the Fife Lake Dairy Bar. Protein ice-cream to the rescue! As you all know, I do not like putting anything hot into plastic jars, but I’ll eat cold foods from plastic on occasion. ;)

Chocolate protein ice-cream in the waning Justin’s Chocolate Almond Butter Jar. Hit the spot!

For this morning’s breakfast, I decided to try something new. While away, Manitoba Harvest sent me some of their hemp protein products to try.

Thanks Manitoba!

Now, for any new readers out there, I have never been a big fan of hemp protein powder. Hemp seeds I like, but the protein powder always tastes like dirt to me. However, for some reason, I keep trying different brands hoping that I’ll develop a taste for it. Sarena, The Non-Dairy Queen, has been telling me about her hemp fudge for a while now, and since Sarena’s recipes never disappoint, I decided to give it a try. I doubled the recipe, but only used 1 packet of NuNaturals stevia and no chocolate stevia drops. The Manitoba Harvest vanilla hemp protein powder is already sweetened with organic palm sugar, and so I figured one packet of stevia would do the job. It did. I liked it. Sarena, you’re a genius. :)

Oat bran cooked with water and topped with unsweetened shredded coconut and Hemp Fudge

I’m still a bit nervous to try the hemp seed butter and unsweetened hemp seed powders, but the vanilla version was pretty tasty mixed with cocoa powder and stevia. It will never replace my beloved Jay Robb, but it didn’t make me gag or end up down the garbage disposal. Thus far, it’s the best hemp protein powder I’ve tried. It’s rich in amino acids and dietary fiber (1 serving, or 4 TBSP, contains 11 grams!), and although hemp seeds do contain some Omega-3 fatty acids, they are still high in Omega-6′s. So, keep that in mind. This breakfast kept me full for a good 6 hours – thank you fiber. :)

For more information on the Manitoba Harvest products, please click here, and for product updates and recipes from the company, you can click here to here to become a fan of Manitoba Harvest on Facebook.

Any good recipes involving hemp seed butter you’d like to share?

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin September 9, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I’ve never tried hemp protein or hemp seed butter before but I’m looking forward to the comments in this section.

A new book called Baby Love just got released by the owner of a local restaurant chain in DC that my boyfriend is the corporate chef of. It has tons of all natural baby food recipes and suggests freezing the baby food in ice cube trays and it can last up to 6 months in the freezer. Here’s a link to the book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Love-Healthy-Delicious-Toddler/dp/0312621922/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284060252&sr=8-2

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Cool – thanks for the link Beth. Sounds like the perfect read for me and the HEABlet. :)

Monica September 9, 2010 at 6:33 pm

When my kids were small, I whipped all their veggies and froze them in ice cube trays. Then you pop them out and put them in freezer baggies. As they get older you can do the same thing with almost any of your dinner foods…easy to feed them. I also used whole grains, zipped them through the processor and then cooked them like oatmeal. These I put in glass bowls with lids and then warmed up in the am when needed. Yo baby yogurt (if you do any dairy for the baby) topped with fruit is a totally baby friendly snack! Now we have access to so much more than I did 9 years ago…but the basics still work! You will have fun putting the blender to work!

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Monica,
Thanks for all the useful tips, and yes, that Vita-Mix is going to running a lot! :)

Evan Thomas September 9, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I just ordered 3lbs of hemp protein off amazon yesterday. It’s definitely my preferred protein powder only because I find brown rice much more $$ and while I like tofu, I’m not into soy protein isolate. 3lbs for $26 felt like a real steal

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Evan,
Which brand do you buy?

Evan Thomas September 9, 2010 at 5:52 pm

It was Nutiva organic 50% protein blend

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 9, 2010 at 2:27 pm

i’ve honestly never tried it, but i can imagine that it would taste great with jam on bread :) but honestly, what DOESN’T taste good with jam and bread? :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 9, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I have never tried hemp protein or hemp butter to be honest…but that hemp fudge looks might tasty!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 9, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I’ve never tried hemp. I really don’t have a reason to try it since I’m not allergic to anything or are on any special diets (vegan and such), but the fudge looks sooo good.

Little Bookworm September 9, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Your ice cream looks great, especially in a chocolate almond butter jar. :)

Emma September 9, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I tried the Manitoba Harvest protein powder a few months ago after I picked up a sample at a health food conference I attended.
It tasted 200 times better than any other I had tried up to that point buut not nearly as tasty as rice protein.
Hemp is great for hormone balancing so I still buy the hemp butter and oil since I find them tastier.
I’ll have to try the fudge though! It looks scrumptious.

Love your blogs by the way, I’ve been following it for awhile now, only just had time to start up my own. Your a real inspiration!

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Thanks Emma, and glad to hear you liked the Manitoba as well, but yes, rice protein will always be my favorite. :)

Thanks for reading my blog and best of luck with yours! :)

glidingcalm September 9, 2010 at 3:16 pm

why is shredded coconut so good?!

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 5:47 pm

GlidingCalm,
Haha – I don’t know, but I sure love it. :)

Sarah September 9, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Great blog post Heather! So happy you gave our Hemp Seed Butter a try. And I agree with everyone else, your ice cream looks delicious!

Just wanted to clarify that our Vanilla protein powder is sweetened with ‘Organic Palm Sugar’ (not reg. sugar) lowest form on glycemic index (just so other readers are aware).

Thanks again!
Sarah

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Thanks for the samples Sarah! I’ll update the post to read palm sugar. :)

Alexandra September 9, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Great article! You should definitely try Boku Protein Powder – the Tone It Up Girls are huge lovers of it, and when I ordered it after researching it, I actually really love it – it’s all organic and made from sprouted brown rice. =)

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Thanks Alexandra! I’m a Jay Robb girl myself. Love his rice protein powder. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 9, 2010 at 3:41 pm

You are so sweet! I am so glad you liked the fudge. I haven’t tried this brand yet, but I will keep my open for it. I still have not tried Mr. Jay Robb either. I keep eyeing him at the store, but I am so cheap. I don’t have a vita mix and I don’t know if I can pull off the protein ice cream without one. Your protein ice cream always makes me drool! And you know I am all about that bowl of oats!

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Sarena,
I really can’t believe you’ve got me liking hemp protein powder…that’s quite an accomplishment. :)

Sarah September 30, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Hi Sarena –
Haven’t tried Manitoba Harvest Hemp Protein Yet? Well…. I can change that :0) Send us an email to streetteam@manitobaharvest.com and I can hook you up with some samples to review/blog about (if you’d like).
Thanks!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 9, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I’ve never evern *seen* hemp seed butter before! Don’t know where around here would have any..I don’t think EarthFare even carries it. Hmmm..

Viviane September 9, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Yay for Canadian hemp!

By the way thank you so much Heather for sharing the link to Smart School Time Recipes. Even though I don’t have kids yet my husband eats like one (!) so I’m always on the lookout for those kinds of fun but still healthy recipes.

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Viviane,
You’re welcome. Hope your husband enjoys some of the recipes! :)

Lea @ Healthy Coconut September 9, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I’ve made protein pancakes using Manitoba hemp protein before and since my pancakes includes blended banana, it helped with that gritty taste of hemp protein. It’s definitely better than drinking it straight or with a smoothie.

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Lea,
Pancakes…I’ll have to try that!

lindsay September 9, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Oh good, I’ve been looking for a good hemp protein. Does it mix well with almond milk to made a protein pudding? Looks good!

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Lindsay,
I’m not sure as I haven’t tried it in a smoothie yet. However, I was told that Manitoba’s Hemp PRO 70, the first ever water-soluble hemp protein, mixes easily with any liquid, and you can literally just shake it with water if you want. It’s a got a really creamy, nutty flavour AND 21 grams of protein. Haven’t tried it yet myself, but that one may be your best bet for protein pudding.

VeggieGirl September 9, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Hemp brownies or blondies would be gooooood :)

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 5:57 pm

VeggieGirl,
I’m surprised you never made hemp blondies. Bet they’d be even better with a little Jay. :)

melissa @ the delicate place September 9, 2010 at 5:54 pm

i use unflavored hemp protein powder as my protein shake base. i’ve had both jarrow and living harvest brands. i add vanilla extract or cocoa powder to make vanilla or chocolate flavored. it smells grass/earthy but i never thought it tasted like dirt lol. but then again, my “taste” is a bit odd compared to most i guess

HEAB September 9, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Melissa,
I tried the spice flavored living harvest and tossed every smoothie I made with it down the sink. I tried so hard to like it, but I couldn’t get past the earthy flavor. :(

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan September 9, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Hempseed BUTTER?! Sign me up!
I too have had a very hard time liking hemp protein powder, but I am a big fan of the seeds.

BroccoliHut September 9, 2010 at 7:59 pm

I love ground hemp seed in smoothies (it’s truly magical with mangoes and vanilla almond milk), but I have yet to try hemp seed butter or anything by Manitoba. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 9, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Before I read the photo description, I totally thought that was rice (not coconut) topped with fudge.

I’ve only had hemp milk (boyfriend bought it because “hemp” was in the name…mature), so I have no ideas for you, but am excited to see what you come up with!

Pure2raw twins September 9, 2010 at 9:11 pm

YUM, hemp fudge, now that is something I must try!

We have never really done anything with hemp butter, but I guess it could be used in sauces or something, not sure if you can cook with it, but who knows. It is new to me.

Jennifer September 9, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Good Evening.
Please Check out my Blog when you get a chance. I have something there for you.
Jennifer

Alyssa September 9, 2010 at 9:40 pm

I’ve never tried hemp anything! I’ve always been so nervous that the TCH (isn’t that the marijuana indicator) would show up in a urinalysis or blood test! Chicken, I know, but I’ve heard horror stories!

~Alyssa

HEAB September 10, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Alyssa,
Hehe – I never even thought about that. Oh well, no upcoming drug tests for me…I think I’ll fine. ;)

Sarah September 30, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Hey Alyssa (and so you guys both know)…..
Hemp Food contains 0.00001% THC. There is no ‘side effects’ when consuming even large amounts of hemp food and you will not ‘get high’ because of it. (Nor will you fail a drug test). Hope this helps :0)
-Manitoba Harvest Hemp Foods & Oils

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Thanks Sarah! Good to know. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 9, 2010 at 10:09 pm

I commented on Sarena’s orig post, just went back and re-read my comment, it said I was not a fan of dirty tasting things LOL.

I have quite a stash of (unopened) hemp powder. Now that you say it’s all good, I am going to make her hemp fudge! It’s sort of like protein cookie dough, but with hemp protein. I can get down with that :)

Hemp seed butter, well, I have this recipe for PB Vanilla Balls (or Sunflower Seed Butter, or any nut butter, and you could probably use the hemp seed butter)

sorry to link drop, but you asked for recipe ideas…just a guess that it would work quite well!

HEAB September 10, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Averie,
If I make your balls, I’m using sunflower seed butter. Tried the hemp stuff a few minutes ago. Yuck.

Katie September 9, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I have to say, I am skeptical of all things hemp. They always just smell like dirt and I can’t even get past that.

elise September 10, 2010 at 1:05 am

oh man im so excited to give that a try! hemp is one of those things that i keep meaning to try…

so, btw, i meant to tell you about using windows live writer on my mac. its been GREAT. i am using virtualbox (which is like a little computer within my computer) and i bought windows XP to download on it. now whenever i want to blog i open up windows in virtualbox and then open live writer. it was weird at first, but im getting used to it. if you want i can email you the websites i used to help me do it all, but if you google or youtube “windows on a mac” youll be bombarded with resources. if i can do it, anyone can.

hope that helps!

HEAB September 10, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Elise,
Thanks so much for the tips. I might look into it. Since I never experienced the greatness that is Windows Live Writer, I’m pretty happy with Ecto, but we’ll see. Glad it’s working for you, and yes, try the hemp fudge. Quite tasty. :)

elise September 10, 2010 at 2:04 pm

If you are happy with ecto I think you should just stick with it. No point in buying $$$ software. Unfortunately, I was hooked already, but I’m loving my MacBook, so the switch was definitely worth it. :)

fartygirl September 10, 2010 at 1:26 am

Trader Joe’s hemp protein powder isn’t that bad… although it does have a little sugar in it. It gives ya just enough sugar to edge out the dirt taste! Ha! Both Sareena and I have swapped odes over its goodness, and as you said, she does know what she’s doin’ with foods n’ whatnot. :)

Natalie September 10, 2010 at 6:46 am

mmm the hemp fudge is great! thanks for posting/sharing!

eatmovelove September 10, 2010 at 7:01 am

I’ve seen that Hemp Seed Butter before but too expensive for me, and I wasn’t sure what I’d “do” with it anyways…but maybe you’ll get some neat ideas here!

LOL – glad it didn’t taste like dirt :) …even the name makes it sound “dirt”-t-ish….;)

HEAB September 10, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Eatmovelove, Don’t bother with the hemp seed butter…not a fan!

eatmovelove September 10, 2010 at 1:59 pm

LOL – Heather, you are the most adorable thing on this planet :)

Thanks for letting me know – saved me some moola!

(I’m doing a Give-away on my site too if anyone wants to participate for free stuff :) ).

Ana September 10, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I like the Amazing Grass Amazing Meal products, in particular the Pomegranate Mango Infusion, it is my favorite when it comes to hemp! I tried the manitoba harvest hemp protein once and it wasn’t bad, I just like the flavors of the amazing meal better. (I have also tried the Vega powders but I wasn’t a big fan of those, still think that the AG products taste better!)
Now, I never saw hemp protein Heather. I am curious to see what you are going to think and how to use that up once you taste it. Please let us know.
And I think that hemp fudge sounds good, need to try that!

HEAB September 10, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Ana,
Tried the hemp seed butter a little while ago…not a fan. Probably will stick to making fudge with the powders. :)

Ana September 10, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Oh yes, I meant “never saw hemp butter”…
Try making fudge with the butter too, maybe mixed with melted dark chocolate it tastes better. Like Justin’s maybe you can create a HEAB’s chocolate hemp butter!

HEAB September 10, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Ana,
I’d rather just eat Justin’s chocolate almond butter. Oh my gosh, why is that stuff so good?!? :)

Ana September 10, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Yes, I know that chocolate almond butter is killer, it is just too good! I got totally addicted to that!

Leanne September 10, 2010 at 1:04 pm

So glad you like the Manitoba powder! I really liked the vanilla and loved the dark chocolate variety. I would have to agree with you a number of hemp protein powder just make me gag and Manitoba didn’t and best of all no soy to upset the belly!

P.S. My dad just bought me a new cookbook that also has tons of natural household cleaner, kitchen staples and remedy recipes. There was one for detergent and another for anemia prevention. They made me think of you.

HEAB September 10, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Leanne,
Yes, Manitoba has definitely been my favorite so far, and I’m honored you thought of me while flipping through your new cookbook. :)

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan September 10, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I actually love Manitoba Harvest! Their hemp taste sort of nutty, not at all like dirt. I put a big scoop in my smoothie every morning and it actually gives it a really yummy taste!

HEAB September 10, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Jennifer,
Agreed. Definitely best hemp protein powder I’ve tried.

Jessica September 10, 2010 at 6:40 pm

How do you keep your brown rice tortillas from breaking? Everytime I try to roll one they break at the seams…HELP!

HEAB September 10, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Jessica,
Nuke the tortilla in the microwave for 30 seconds. I tried warming them in the oven, but that didn’t work. They always break apart if not warmed. Hope this helps. :)

Barbara September 11, 2010 at 11:30 pm

I thought of you the other day when I was making pure baby food for a client of mine. I was emphasizing whole, high nutrient foods that are easy to make and store- as well as cost conscious. I pureed some pumpkin, sweet potato, carrots and butternut squash. I made some plain, and others with blueberries, some with cocoa powder, some with banana, and some with corn and broccoli etc. We then put them in individual ice cube trays and put them in the freezer. These are just like the organic ones you find in health food store (for outrageous prices), but you control the ingredients and quality of nutrition. The blueberry/blackberry one was so good that we ate the entire batch and left none for the baby! lol. It was so much fun to make and experiment with! I’m trying to incorporate sprouts, something chlorophyll rich and some other nutritional power-houses later on. We ended up making Kefir popsicles for her 9 year old which they loved! I can’t wait to make more stuff! You’ll have so much fun!

HEAB September 12, 2010 at 10:30 am

Barbara,
Um, can you please move to Nashville?!? I’d love to hire you as the HEABlet’s personal chef…but yeah, I’m afraid I’d eat all the food you would make for her. Hehe. All of it sounds amazing. Please send more successful recipes my way, and I hope you’re having a wonderful weekend! Love, Heather :)

{ 2 trackbacks }