My Favorite Massaged Salad

by HEAB on September 11, 2010

CD ran in a local 5K this morning and won first place overall. Go CD! :)

We are now the proud owners of a beer mug and a $100 gift to Best Buy.

Many of you left comments on yesterday’s post singing the praises of massaged kale, and after reading them all, I had massaged greens on the brain. So, for last night’s dinner, I made my favorite raw salad and then un-rawed it with toppings. ;)

Raw Lemon-Miso Salad topped with goat cheese and Falafel Chips.

This recipe is super simple and so delicious. Simply throw a ton of spinach (like 5 to 6 cups) into a huge bowl along with 1/2 to 1 whole avocado, juice of 1/2 lemon, 1 spoonful of miso paste, and sweetener of choice (I used 1/2 packet of stevia). Fresh minced garlic is good too, but I didn’t have any. Next comes the fun part…time to get your hands dirty! Simply massage all the ingredients together until well blended. The spinach will start to wilt like it has been cooked. Love it!

What’s your favorite raw recipe?

VeggieGirl September 11, 2010 at 10:26 am

OOOOH that looks good. ‘Nuff said.

Favorite raw recipe = anything with chocolate ;)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 11, 2010 at 10:27 am

Wow– very impressive!! Congrats CD!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 11, 2010 at 10:30 am

Great job, CD!!! That’s awesome :)

suzanne September 11, 2010 at 10:31 am

Way to go CD!!

christina cadden September 11, 2010 at 10:45 am

Congrats to CD! That is awesome!

jenny September 11, 2010 at 10:56 am

raw “recipe” – green smoothies, avocado massaged salad (though im on a hiatus from massaged kale right now), avocado citrus salad (grapefruit or orange, plus a little sea salt, mmmm). medjool dates + nuts (larabar type things).

HEAB September 11, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Jenny,
Avocado citrus salad…me likey. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 11, 2010 at 11:01 am

Great job CD! Oh yum…falafel chips!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

eatmovelove September 11, 2010 at 11:25 am

I will admit – I have/had no idea what you or others meant by “massaged”. Didn’t say anything for fear of being laughed at – and the hopes of checking with the almighty Google later…but now I know that “massaged” really does mean Massaged!

Getting up close and personal with your food.

Raw food? Carrots ;) . Hah. And Maranatha Raw Almond Butter…although Roasted takes the cake anyday.

HEAB September 11, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Eatmovelove,
Roasted always takes the cake…agreed!

eatmovelove September 11, 2010 at 5:34 pm

I know hey? Roasted is like better than crack (well, I wouldn’t know…but y’know what I mean ;) ).

Oh and wanted to say CONGRATS to CD! Did I ever tell you that he completely looks like one of the guys that ran on the team I was with years ago? He so DOES…and he was super fast too and won everything. Craziness…if I didn’t know where he was now – I’d have thought he moved out there and married you LOL ! :)

Carbzilla September 11, 2010 at 11:30 am

I was late to the whole massaged salad thing but now I can’t imagine them any other way. There’s a Vegan Caesar Salad dressing recipe going around that’s divine! It’s my favorite salad of all time! (RIP croutons)

HEAB September 11, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Carbzilla,
Yes, I think you sent me the recipe a few months ago. Gosh, sounds like I really need to make it – thanks for the reminder!

Melissa September 11, 2010 at 11:32 am

Congrats CD ! I did Sherry’s Run this morning in Lebanon. I’m glad the rain held out for us.

HEAB September 11, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Melissa,
Yes, me too. I am not a good spectator in the rain. CD ran the 5K for prostate cancer in Centennial Park this morning. So proud of my boy. :)

Felicia September 11, 2010 at 11:37 am

yay CD! My favorite raw food is a raw salad…I feel so good after it. I never tried the whole massage method though, and I really need to because every time I read about it/see pics I always think to myself how good it looks!

Evan Thomas September 11, 2010 at 11:39 am

Congrats, CD! Obviously, he is da man.

Little Bookworm September 11, 2010 at 11:46 am

Congrats to CD! Favourite raw recipe – Katie’s Fudge Babies. :D

Jessica @ How Sweet September 11, 2010 at 11:48 am

Congrats to CD! That’s awesome.

Amber@momsgottheruns September 11, 2010 at 12:08 pm

congrats to CD! you look super cute! and i think i want that salad tonight!

homecookedem September 11, 2010 at 12:09 pm

WOAH, CD is crazy fast!! Congrats to the daddy-to-be!! :)

That massaged salad looks really good – very healthy for a mama-to-be!! :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) September 11, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Go CD! You rock the house!

I never understood that “massaged” kale etc, actually changes the texture until I read The Actor’s Diet post about it. I will DEFINITELY be trying this. I must be the last one to the party on this one!

And I agree that the Kale butter sounds great, but you better be making it for a party or it seems that it would go bad in a matter of a couple of days.

Lately I’ve been back to throwing Kale in my morning smoothies (with a little ginger) and I love the chew from the stems- I try not to obliterate the kale in the vita.

THe animal theme is ADORABLE and you look so cute in your red t-shirt with CD. Miss you!

HEAB September 11, 2010 at 3:14 pm

MIss you too Deb. Kale in smoothies…I just don’t like it, and I think it’s the chew factor that bothers me. Would much rather have frozen rhubarb in a PB&J. :)

Yeah, I should have cut the kale butter recipe in half, or I need to throw it in a lasagna or something. I’m afraid it is going to go bad. :(

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy September 11, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Congrats to CD! Very nice!

I’ve never had massaged kale, really I think the only kale I’ve had is kale chips. I”m trying to think of favorite raw foods, but generally the only ones I like are fruits!

Katie September 11, 2010 at 1:13 pm

CD – You are awesome!!! Way to go!

I’ve never massaged spinach before. I also haven’t had avocado in about a week. Man, that might be a new record for me.

HEAB September 11, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Who are you and what have you done with Katie? ;)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 11, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Fave raw recipe? Hello that’s kinda hard to narrow down but for chips, kale chips. For desserts, oh god any of my chocolate mousses or raw dessert balls I’ve invented, for entrees raw spiralized zuke pasta with peanut sauce, I could go on and on. I always say raw chose me, I didnt choose it b/c that’s the food that’s easy to make, satisfying to my palate and soothes my body, with no fuss. I keep it really simple. Here’s to more people eating more raw food, but not stressing about it! :) That would defeat the purpose.

ANd the pic of you…soooo cute :)

Congrats on that beer mug, Im sure you’ll be slamming 40′s tonite. Kidding!!

But the $100 is great! Congrats, CD!

HEAB September 11, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Averie,
Yeah, I was wondering how would you possible choose? You have too many good recipes. I think my favorite of yours is your cashew sauce covered kale chips. :)

Rachel (tea and chocolate) September 11, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Congrats CD!

I have all the ingredients for your salad! I think I know what I’m making tonight. :)

HEAB September 11, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Rachel,
Enjoy. :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 11, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Great job CD! Do I even want to know his time? Let me guess, 10 minutes for the whole thing :) What a lovely beer mug too!

Favorite raw recipe? Any of Averie’s desserts!

HEAB September 11, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Holly,
Yeah, 10 minutes…plus about 6 more. ;)

Claire C September 11, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Yay CD!!You both are beaming again.It’s so wonderful:-)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 11, 2010 at 3:24 pm

When I did a raw diet experiment last month I realized how tasty massaged kale is, too! I ate a lot of raw foods, salads being my favorite, but this raw “candy” apple was another one of my favorites AND it included raw almond butter, which is right up your alley! :D

Check it out: http://www.j3nn.net/2010/07/13/raw-diet-day-two-my-shampoo-smells-appetizing/

Granny Smith apple, raw almond butter, drizzle of raw honey, raw sweetened cacao nibs

Some other raw favorites: raw pea salad with red onions, EVOO, + red wine vinegar vinegar; “Rawchos” – nachos made with raw veggies and raw flax crackers (I used nutritional yeast and Greek yogurt, not completely raw!), and raw tacos made with romaine lettuce leave and mushrooms tossed in taco seasoning.

I really liked all the foods I ate on my raw diet test run. I try to eat raw several times a week. :) So yummy!

Jenn

HEAB September 11, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Thanks for all the ideas Jenn. I have all ingedients on hand for the candy apples…well, except for the apple. Need to pick one up b/c that sounds so yummy and perfect for fall!

Also never thought to toss mushroom in taco seasonings. I’m thinking marinated strips of portobello. YUM – thanks for the idea!

Michelle (@ Housewife in the Raw) September 11, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Nice work CD!!

As for favorite raw recipe – can’t pick just one! I’d go with banana soft serve, my favorite salad (salad greens, cilantro, dulse, hemp seeds, lime juice and cilantro) and choco-avoc-banana ‘pudding.’ Oh man, now I’m hungry again….

HEAB September 11, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Michelle,
Cilantro (or basil) always makes every raw dish better in my opinion…well except for maybe banana soft serve. ;)

MarathonVal September 11, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Congrats to CD! Very exciting!

Eden September 11, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Yay CD! Now its time for a blog of your own so you dont have to use heab’s to brag!

I wont last long on a raw diet since I am a little addicted to anything roasted or charred, but I do love raw almonds, although thats not a recipe….but hey, I’m a purist!

HEAB September 11, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Eden,
I went to a baby shower today for my best friend’s younger sister, and they are thinking of naming the baby Eden. Love it. :)

Yes, I love raw almonds too…but they’re even better roasted. :)

Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life September 11, 2010 at 4:12 pm

YUMMY! My favorite raw salad is actually just a bunch of chopped veggies all mixed together. I like to mix up tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and avo in a dressing made of olive oil and lemon juice. REFRESHING!

HEAB September 11, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Annie,
Sound like the perfect summer combo. :)

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun September 11, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Way to go, CD! :-) I don’t have a favorite raw food, heck I don’t even know what raw means…maybe I should go check that out? LOL :-)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) September 11, 2010 at 5:32 pm

YUM, that looks incredible! I need to try this combo :)

xo
Kris

Monique@She's Going The Distance September 11, 2010 at 5:55 pm

hahaha he got a beer mug for winning a race?!?! that’s legit AND impressive!! Congrats :)

J@WholeBodyLove September 11, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Go CD! I love the pic of your glowing pregnant self!!!

HEAB September 11, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Thanks J. :)

Shelly September 11, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Most of my raw recipes are salads, but I’ll pass on a couple I love.

Avocado Tomato Salad:
2 ripe avocados, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 a red onion, chopped

Dress with balsamic or rice vinegar (the balsamic makes it brown so use rice if you care about the color), olive oil (I make this to taste and usually use 2 TBSP of each) and hot sauce.

Toss gently to combine and either top just before serving with crumbled bacon or serve with blue corn tortilla chips….or both. :)

Cilantro Cabbage Slaw (courtesy of nojuju.blogspot.com)

1 bag shredded cabbage (or about 1/2 a cabbage if you shred it yourself)
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
2 cloves of finely minced garlic
The juice of 2 limes (or more or less depending on your taste and the size/juiciness of the limes)
2-3 TBSP olive oil
salt and lots of freshly ground pepper
Hot sauce to taste (I like Shriracha for this)

Combine and enjoy. :)

HEAB September 11, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Shelly,
Oh gosh, loved the first recipe even before blue chips or bacon was mentioned, and slaw is one of my favorites! Love your no mayo recipe. Thank you. :)

Meghan September 11, 2010 at 7:25 pm

I was going to vote trail mix, but I really love roasted nuts- I just don’t like the taste as much when they are raw. So, I am going to go with salads-so many yummy possibilities.

HEAB September 11, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Meghan,
I’m the same. Like raw nuts, but loooove roasted ones. :)

jacobc September 11, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Sweet!
This morning I won the race that CD won last year! The former christy cookie 5k, thanks for not showing CD, ha!
What race was it?
So when are we going to hear a heablet name??

HEAB September 11, 2010 at 8:44 pm

JacobC,
Yes, I heard you won – congrats! What did you win? Wasn’t Mafiaoza’s the main sponsor this year? CD ran the race for prostate cancer in Centennial Park. No HEABlet name until she arrives. ;)

jacobc September 11, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Ahhh, I’m sure he would win just about any race he enters!
It is called the mafiaoza’s 5k now, i personally preferred the cookies and gellato ice cream..eck.
Prize was a $50 card to Noshville. And great technical shirts, none of that cotton junk.

Shannon September 11, 2010 at 9:02 pm

congrats to cd!

BroccoliHut September 11, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Gena has a Spicy Thai Dressing that I was pretty obsessed with for a while–it’s raw and perfect for veggie summer rolls!

HEAB September 12, 2010 at 10:34 am

BroccoliHut,
Hmm, don’t believe I’ve made that one, but I’ve never met a Gena recipe I didn’t like. Will have to try it. Thx!

sophia September 12, 2010 at 2:47 am

lol. I’m like you….I like to “unraw” my raw food. Raw crackers? Spread it with ricotta cheese! Make a BLT with raw bread! Raw salad? YAY bacon!

HEAB September 12, 2010 at 10:33 am

Sophia,
Haha – I have a habit of putting bacon on everything. It just tastes too good!

Alyssa September 12, 2010 at 9:35 am

I would have to say that smoothies are my favorite raw recipes, but I do have one that I made last night and will posting the recipe for my Healthy Harvest Salad too :-)

lindsay (goodiesgalore September 12, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I think I’m to lazy to massage….. but you make it seem worth the work.

HEAB September 12, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Lindsay,
Totally worth it! :)

stephanie September 12, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Yea CD!!! WOW, do you eat 6 cups of spinach a once??? Lucky little Heablet :) is going to come out glowing with health :) !! What is the iron deficiency update?

HEAB September 12, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Stephanie,
Yes, I do, but once you massage the greens down, they really shrink…gosh, hope the HEABlet doesn’t pop out green. ;)

Not sure what my iron levels are at the moment. Haven’t had them checked in over 2 months. My numbers were still low, but I’m feeling much better these days. No more headaches or dizziness. So, I think a few weeks of the stronger iron supplements helped as well as more red meat. Thanks for asking. :)

Scott in Ohio September 13, 2010 at 6:39 am

Dang, CD is a runnin’ fool. Very impressive.

Love the Hinsdale CC shirt. :-)

HEAB September 13, 2010 at 7:00 am

Scott,
Yeah – go Red Devils! :)

Lea @ Healthy Coconut September 13, 2010 at 5:46 pm

What kind of miso did you use for the dressing? I would love to try making miso dressing. I like eating it at restaurant, but I’ve never attempted to make it.

HEAB September 13, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Lea,
I use this brand of miso paste: http://www.healthytraders.com/miso-master-organic-mellow-white-miso-plastic-p-2337.html. Bought it at Whole Foods in the refrigerated aisle near the tofu.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 15, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Whoa! Congrats CD! That’s amazing

Lorne September 20, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Congrats CD!!!!

HEAB September 21, 2010 at 9:18 am

CD says: Thanks Lorne! :)

{ 3 trackbacks }