CB & J

by HEAB on September 13, 2010

This morning I woke up craving toast with jam and nut butter. However, we had no bread. So, I made the next best thing…

Oat bran with Trader Joe’s reduced sugar strawberry preserves and Naturally Nutty Cinnamon Cashew Butter.

I think this is the first time I have ever made nut butter and jam oats…boy, have I been missing out! I love how the preserves slightly sweetened the oats, and the cashew butter provided the perfect topping. I stirred it into my warm oats and got a little taste of it in every bite. Yum…who needs toast? ;)

After breakfast, Alice (CD’s mom) and I took the pups for an hour-long walk, and then we had to say goodbye and take her to the airport. Alice, so glad you got to come to Nashville this weekend for the baby shower. Next time we see her, the HEABlet will be here. So weird and exciting and fun. Less than 9 weeks to go. Can you believe it?!?

Oh, and many congrats to Brandi!

Screen shot 2010-09-13 at 3.26.54 PM.png

You’re the winner of the Naturally Nutty Chocolate Cherry Peanut Butter. Enjoy! :)

What’s your favorite way to eat nut butter and jam?

Jessica @ How Sweet September 13, 2010 at 3:41 pm

If were saying together, I’d go with on warm toast! I love how melty it all gets.

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin September 13, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I love NB + Jam on all things – - oats, sandwiches, on a sundae over banana soft serve…

Ana September 13, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Great idea to use pb and J on oats, I might make that for Matheus’ breakfast, he is going to love it! (we are in need of heartier breakfasts this year as he has 5 hours between the time he has breakfast at home and the time he has lunch at school, oats to the rescue!)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 13, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Ok, so the peanut butter flour is HIGHLY addictive. I have been making oatmeal peanut butter waffles that taste like a HUGE peanut butter cookie only better! I love my peanut butter and jelly on my oats for sure. Best way to have them…second is on those waffles though. Those oats look mighty tasty!

HEAB September 13, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Sarena,
I think that’s exactly the reason why I haven’t bought the peanut flour yet…I know I would basically want to mix with water and guzzle. ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 13, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Wait, is that wrong?

HEAB September 13, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Haha, I guess not. :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 13, 2010 at 3:47 pm

i don’t love oats, but pb&j oatmeal is a BIG fave of mine! so glad you saw the light :)

HEAB September 13, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Heather,
Not sure what took me so long!

Stefanie September 13, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Looks good and the cashew butter soounds yummy. I am a cinnamon addict and love cashew butter. A nut butter and jam sandwich or in oats is how I like to eat the duo. :)

Ashley September 13, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Okay. HANDS down, without a doubt my favorite pnut butter + jelly combo is: A toasted to perfection salt bagel [preferably from the Jewish bagel shop back home in Cleveland] with creamy peanut butter, that gets warm + melty, topped with strawberry jam. It’s messy, sweet, salty, crunchy + delicious. It is probably one of my favorite things EVER. :)

HEAB September 13, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Ashley,
It’s dinner time…and I really want to get in my car and drive to Cleveland. ;)

Ingrid September 13, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I like to smear nut butter and jam on the inside half of a pita pocket and then toast it. (Placing the cut side up.) The outside gets hot and crispy and the inside gets melty. I haven’t done this for a while, but oh man, I gotta go buy some pitas this week.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 13, 2010 at 4:39 pm

I love nut butter and jam on oatmeal too. The heat from the oatmeal melts the nut butter just a bit so you can get a bit in every bite.

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey September 13, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Grilled nut butter & jam sandwiches are pretty delectable, but I also LOVE nut butter & jam in oats. It’s always awesome. :)

Gina (@ Looking Forward) September 13, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Oh, I love that combo in my oats as well…especially raspberry preserves with TJ’s sea salt almond butter…yum!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 13, 2010 at 5:16 pm

9 weeks to go!! You’re in the home stretch! Nest, relax, sleep, savor going to the grocery store without packing everything but the kitchen sink for a quick errand :) And I know you are going to have a beautiful birth and a beautiful Heablet!

And in the meantime, nothing really beats PB & J. Ever. I love it. I put it on Mary’s Crackers and on cucumber and zuke rounds. Yes, I have posted about that before LOL :) It’s a great way to also incorporate more veggies into lil one’s mouths and diets :)

HEAB September 13, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Averie,
Love the idea of PB & J on cukes. Gotta try that one. Thx! :)

Raychel September 13, 2010 at 5:17 pm

That cinnamon cashew butter sounds sooooo good, but I can’t find it on Naturally Nutty’s website. Do you have any recommendations where to find it?

HEAB September 13, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Raychel,
I know – I went to link to it from their site, and it’s not up there yet. I know they are selling it in local health food stores around Michigan, and I bet if you email Katie (katie@naturallynutty.com), she could tell you where to find it or how you could order some for yourself. She’s the founder/owner of the company. Tell her HEAB sent ya, and I hope you’re able to try some soon. So yummy! :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) September 13, 2010 at 5:25 pm

I love nut butter & jam on my oats! But my favorite way is atop fresh, toasted hearty grain bread. Yum :)

xo
Kris

Emily September 13, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Heather, have you tried Smuckers Simply Fruit preserves? They don’t have any sugar at all, but they’re WONDERFUL!

HEAB September 13, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Emily,
I don’t think so, but I’ll be on the lookout when my TJ’s supply runs dry. Thx for the tip! :)

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) September 13, 2010 at 5:38 pm

PB&J or any kind of nut/seed butter and j goes so well on top of a pancake :) or oatmeal, or in any cereal, or on rice cakes…..as long as they’re together they can do no wrong ;)

Katie September 13, 2010 at 5:42 pm

I love PB&J “quesa”-dillas.

eatmovelove September 13, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Oh man! I’ve recently been putting Jam into my oatmeal with nut butters – and it is AMAZING. Genius. It’s also good in yogurts.

Ultimately though I have to give my PB & J over to the dough – bread dough that is ;)

Congrats to the winner!

StephORama September 13, 2010 at 5:51 pm

I love PB&J on waffles or pancakes instead of syrup!

Exercise and Eat September 13, 2010 at 5:55 pm

I can’t believe you hadn’t had nut butter & jam oats! Sometimes I think it’s even better than between bread!

HEAB September 13, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Exercise and Eat,
I know…I’m totally behind the times. What was I thinking?!? ;)

Emily September 13, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Brown bagged on gluten free homemade soft white bean flour bread (thick on th pb!). It tastes so good when it’s been prepared ahead of time (sliced diagonally) and the jam soaks into the bread a little and the pb is cold from being in a cooler.

HEAB September 13, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Emily, yeah that does sound so good. Maybe I do need toast? ;)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 13, 2010 at 6:04 pm

PB and J is the best combo on earth — but I have to say that I “need” toast :)

9 weeks left!?!?!?! Wow times goes by so fast!

Gigi September 13, 2010 at 6:14 pm

not a big fan of jam…I would much rather have nutbutter on fresh fruit, like I’m doing now!

Meghan September 13, 2010 at 7:01 pm

I like it on an english muffin, I agree with others, PB on something that has been toasted is awesome because it gets all melty and yummy. I also had chocolate almond butter on english muffin this weekend. yum and kept me full for hours.

Sylvia September 13, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Not sure if apple butter qualifies as jam, but I usually eat apple butter with some nut butter on oat bran as well. Yums… But I just had the most amazing bowl ever, peach and apple cinnamon – heavenly! ;)

HEAB September 13, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Sylvia,
Yeah, that counts. :) Peaches…yummm!!!

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 13, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Oh I have the same jam yum. I like Nut Butter and Jam on EVERYTHING–even totally inappropriate things like brown rice, cookies, and ice cream.

BroccoliHut September 13, 2010 at 7:51 pm

I, too, am a fan of oat bran with PB & J, but cottage cheese also makes a pretty awesome “canvas” for the classic combo.

HEAB September 13, 2010 at 8:08 pm

BroccoliHut,
I miss cottage cheese…dumb casein intolerance! :(

Erin September 13, 2010 at 8:01 pm

I’m actually a big fan of PB&J (or AB&J) oats as an alternative to the usual oats combo. It tastes more like a treat, especially since jam tends to be sweeter than my usual banana mix-in. Yum. That might be tomorrow morning’s breakfast!

Jill September 13, 2010 at 8:13 pm

So crazy that you wrote this post now…I’ve been enjoying PB&J oats for the past week or so. My family lives really near the Smucker’s store in Ohio, so my mom picked up some goodies for me there (organic crunchy PB and some of their “fancy” preserves that I think they only sell there) and I’ve been putting them to good use in oatmeal. Crunchy PB + the peach/apricot preserves = amazing!

I can’t believe that you are so close to having your baby. Time really does fly. I know that you’re probably super busy now, but if you ever want to have a lunch or sweet CeCe’s date, I’m totally up for it :-)

HEAB September 13, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Jill,
I really love Smuckers all natural crunchy PB. If TJ’s is no where to be found, then that’s my PB of choice. Also love the generic Kroger brand. Really though, I’ll eat any naturally crunchy PB – never met one I didn’t like.

Would love a Sweet Cece’s date. How about one afternoon next week? Haven’t had any since I’ve been home, and I’m missing the Dairy Bar!

Felicia September 13, 2010 at 8:17 pm

I loveee using oatbran instead of bread sometimes. I make it supper thick with chia, then usually top a sunnyside up egg on top. Nut butters and jam are amazing too. Sometimes you just need bread and nothing can compare, but the oats add that creamy yumminess. ahh :)

Heather September 13, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I agree! Sometimes if you want crunchy or soft bread…nothing compares but oats are definitely great :)

Pure2raw Twins September 13, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Hard to believe how much time has passed and that the little one will be here soon, how time flies when you are having fun ;) LOL

xoxo

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 13, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I can’t imagine not having any bread in the house! I swear it takes up half of my freezer space and I have 2 freezers, LOL. :shock:

I have an unopened box of oat bran. I need to get on that now that cool mornings have arrived. :)

Jenn

HEAB September 13, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Jenn,
I know, we’re just not big bread people…I’d rather have a pantry stocked with oat bran. Just ran out. :(

Alyssa September 13, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Mine is actually in oats :-) Funny you discovered how good it is too!

Also, I just found this reduced sugar spread at Costco for $5!! Peach, Mango, Orange Spread, 25 cal for 1 tbsp! I haven’t tried it yet, but it looks fab :-)

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 9:18 am

Alyssa,
I’ve seen that spread at Costco. Does it have Splenda? Can’t remember, but if it’s all fruit, then I need to get some. Trying to avoid the crack that is artificial sweeteners these days.

Jeanny September 13, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Hi Heather,
Just a concern – do you ever get that feeling of being too full after eating anything oaty and have a full on bloated stomach? I always seem to get it but i really love my oats. What do you do when that happens? Thanks!
BTW, your oat bran looks yummmm.

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 9:17 am

Jeanny,
No, oats have never bothered me. I have a friend who would get horrible stomach bloat and have really bad gas after eating them. Once she stopped eating oats, the problem disappeared. She’s not celiac or anything – there was just something that bothered her belly when it came to oats. Do other grains have the same effect on you? I would try switching it up with some gluten free grains – grits, brown rice, quinoa, millet, etc.

amber@SAHM's musings September 13, 2010 at 9:59 pm

just found your blog today while surfing the net. i think you’re blog may be my new fave. I really related to your post on your diet and what works for you. It gave me a lot to think on. Cheers! and Congrats on your bundle of joy :-) Children are blessings!

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 9:14 am

Amber,
So glad you found me, and thanks for reading. :)

clare September 13, 2010 at 10:04 pm

same as you heather, blobbed on top of oat bran.

Heather September 13, 2010 at 10:55 pm

I used to LOVE putting some almond butter in my oatmeal when I used to train for marathons. It’s been a couple years now and I had completely forgotten about that! Thanks for the reminder! :)

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 9:14 am

Heather,
Welcome. :)

MizFit September 14, 2010 at 5:30 am

honestly?
off a spoon.

tyrah September 14, 2010 at 5:52 am

inside a date or on warm bread/toast

Marina September 14, 2010 at 6:51 am

some amazing bread with pb&jam, with nuts and seeds maybe. A little bit toasted bread too :) )
It also goes great with french toast

Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life September 14, 2010 at 6:54 am

That’s a FANTASTIC oatie idea!!!!!!!

Justine September 14, 2010 at 7:09 am

I LOVE cashew butter! I am pretty easy-give me a piece of toast and I am a happy camper. Nutbuttter/Jam/Oats/bran is always pretty tasty as well. :)

VeggieGirl September 14, 2010 at 8:02 am

OOOOOOOOH rock my face, holy yum, fo shizzle.

(only you will find the humor in this, HEAB, while everyone else will just think I’m weird).

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 9:12 am

VG,
Yes, I’m smiling right now. ;)

nicole September 14, 2010 at 8:15 am

Heather!! PB&J on oats!! Why haven’t I thought of that yet? I mean, I’ve done the PB and banana in oats, but never thought of the J! (although I don’t use Jelly/jam/preserves that often anyway) I’m all over that tomorrow morning!!!

nicole September 14, 2010 at 8:16 am

lol obviously I meant CB and not PB but whatevs…you know what I meant…
I’ve never tried CB….I’m afraid to buy jars of new nut butters bc they’re expensive and if I don’t like what I buy I’ll be pissed!!

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 9:12 am

Nicole,
I think you would really like cashew butter. Try it…well worth the risk! :)

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed September 14, 2010 at 8:26 am

PB & jam oats….GENIUS! love it, thanks for the idea :)
Heidi xo

Emily September 14, 2010 at 9:31 am

I love almond butter and carrots and I think that jam/preserves on eggs is deeeelicious (pesto is, too – but not at the same time).

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 14, 2010 at 9:37 am

I love making PB & J’s using muffins. :) So good!

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 10:45 am

Mary,
That does sound good. Or, how about PB & J cupcakes? Yum! :)

Megan (Braise The Roof) September 14, 2010 at 9:41 am

It’s funny, when I was a kid I didn’t like jelly (or jam, or preserves) so I’d just eat peanut butter sandwiches with nothing else on them- I love them now though! I guess I just learned to love a childhood favorite a little late. :)

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 10:44 am

Megan,
Better late than never. ;)

{ 1 trackback }