HEAB Scrambled

by HEAB on September 14, 2010

CD usually comes home for lunch, and lately he has been making himself the best smelling egg scrambles. Yesterday, I sat with him while he ate and then drove his mom to the airport. When I got back home, I could still smell the bacon, and I decided to make myself a CD inspired lunch…

While I nuked a small white potato in the microwave for 3 minutes, I cooked one strip of bacon in a skillet. I then removed the bacon but left the grease behind to fry my chopped up potato. Next, I added 1 egg + 2 egg whites and fresh basil. Once my eggs were no longer runny, I threw in about an ounce of goat cheese and then crumbled the bacon on top. Oh my, this was heavenly. Thank you CD!

Today’s lunch? Another scramble…

2 eggs scrambled with goat cheese and topped with 1 strip of bacon and 1/2 a chopped avocado. Another winner!

I ate my egg dish alongside 2 small pieces of warm cornbread topped with Artisana’s raw macadamia nut butter.

Delicious combo!

We had the carpets cleaned upstairs today, which is where the HEABlet’s room will be. Now, it’s time to get the nursery put together. I’m so excited as I’ve been saving the baby’s room as our last home project. I think it’s going to be so much fun…of course I won’t be the one putting all the furniture together (thanks Dad and CD!). While we were having the carpets shampooed, I cleaned the downstairs, and now it’s time to get organized. The nursery furniture and baby shower gifts are spread all over the house, and I can’t wait to put everything in its place. I’ve declared this upcoming weekend Operation Nursery. Oh, and speaking of nurseries, CD and I still need some kind of chair. We were registered for a glider, but one of my good friends told me that she just bought a La-Z-Boy recliner, and it was the best thing for nursing because it rocks and then you can recline back if you want to sleep. She also said it was great for if the baby gets sick because they just want to be near you, and you can both sleep together. Thoughts? Suggestions? Favorite rocker or chair?

Tonight I start up another month-long prenatal yoga series. Ahhh, so excited as my body is in major need of some yoga lovin’. :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 14, 2010 at 2:54 pm

please oh please show us the finished nursery! i can’t wait!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 14, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Awww that is going to be so much fun to decorate the nursery. What color are you going to paint the walls?

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Michelle,
The walls are already painted a neutral color (Benjamin Moore Hot Springs Stones). I love the color, and so we’re just going to keep it. No pink room for the HEABlet. :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 14, 2010 at 3:05 pm

All those scrambled eggs look delicious!!!! I really should not be reading these blogs during my class. They are making me hungry. lol

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 14, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Awwww, how fun!!! Have fun with the nursery decoration!

The combo of cornbread + macadamia butter looks swoonworthy.

Tina September 14, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Sounds like a very flavorful and delicious scramble. Even better is its easy. Keep that one on tabs for after the baby. ;)

Little Bookworm September 14, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Hope operation nursery goes well. :)

Laura September 14, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Yum….put #1 in a tortilla with some refried beans and you have my fiance’s favorite food in the entire world! Any combo with potato and eggs makes me feel good! :)

Off topic – any idea WHY Jay Robb brown rice protein is out of stock? i’m scared!

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Laura,
Is it still out of stock? Gosh, it’s been on backorder forever! Thankfully, I stocked up at my old job before I left. We sold it there, and I could get it at cost. I would just order Sun Warrior. It’s my 2nd favorite rice protein powder…their chocolate is wonderful!

Lisa September 14, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Definitely a big fluffy recliner!!! For the reasons you stated, plus:

You can take naps together. Recline, put a pillow in your lap and your baby’s feet on your tummy. Your legs (under the pillow) totally cradle the baby, and you can look at her till you fall asleep! Of course, this only works till she’s longer than your thighs :)

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Lisa,
Yeah, I’m definitely thinking recliner. :)

homecookedem September 14, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Great idea about the rocker! We need to get one of those too!!

You know those egg scrambles make me proud!! HEABlet is going to be oh so healthy!! :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 14, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I can’t wait to see how you decorate the nursery! I think the LazyBoy sounds like a great idea. My sister used a glider rocker, but I think that would be pretty uncomfortable to sleep in!

I love egg scrambles for meals — super easy and you can make so many different combos.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 14, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Definitely go for the recliner. I wish I had that when my boys were little. It would make it way more comfortable to nurse too!

As for the scramble, I had whole eggs last night and I new you would be proud. Mine were fried though and I dipped my savory waffle in the yolk. Most people would have thought I was a freak for eating it that way, but it was so good! Oh and when Tony eats something different from what I eat for lunch…I always want his lunch.

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Sarena,
Savory waffle dipped in yolk? I think that sounds perfect…not freaky at all. ;)

Katie September 14, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Last weekend at home, my dad made bacon, and I’m not a huge fan, but I used the same pan to make my egg scramble, and it was way better than normal! Just a bit goes a long way. YUM.

Are you going to post nursery photos?!?!

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Katie,
I always wondered why eggs tasted so much better at diners and other restaurants…it’s the bacon grease! :)

Yes, photos of the nursery will be posted…as soon as we get it all put together. Promise!

Sarah R September 14, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Ok, eggs haven’t looked good for the past couple of weeks, but your scrambles look fabulous! Might have to make one tonight…

My good friend got a lazy boy over a glider and loves it!

christina cadden September 14, 2010 at 4:26 pm

That scramble really looks good!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 14, 2010 at 4:31 pm

The scramble looks delicious! My mom makes pan fried potatoes and eggs..it’s sooo good!

Yay for another round on the prenatal yoga!! I feel ya on the “your body’s in some major need of some yoga lovin”..same here!

Ashley September 14, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I can feel your excitement throughout this entire post. SO happy for you :)

VeggieGirl September 14, 2010 at 4:44 pm

I will make that scramble soon.

Enjoy your yogaaaaa!!

Sharon Davis September 14, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I’m usually just a lurker on your blog, but I love it and get so inspired to try new things! Just wanted to put in my two cents about the rocker. We too were planning on a glider until a friend mentioned the recliner idea. We adopted our son, so I never nursed it the chair, but there were so many times when I got done feeding him and then just laid back and we took a nap together. Now, three years later, on the rare occasions when I get a nap, it’s still super comfy. Have fun with your nursery!

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Sharon,
Thanks for reading and for your advice. Definitely leaning towards the recliner! :)

Chaya September 14, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I’ve never commented before, but I wanted to suggest you go with the recliner over the glider. I’ve wished I had a big puffy recliner to nurse in so many nights over the last few years. If you need to rock the baby to sleep, buy a used rocking chair (although both my kids far preferred being bounced on the physiotherapy ball, in our arms or a sling). Love your photos and healthy food ideas!

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Chaya,
Thanks for the advice. Others have said the same, and I so I’m definitely thinking recliner. :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) September 14, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Ohhh wow, those are some delicious looking scrambles! My favorite things all in one… eggs, bacon, avocado, goat cheese! Yum!

xo
Kris

BroccoliHut September 14, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Beautiful scramble! If you like avocado with your eggs, I highly recommend making the Smoky Avocado Sauce from ED&BV–it makes a wonderful scramble topper!

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 7:53 pm

BroccoliHut,
Thanks, I have that cookbook sitting in my kitchen and will have to look up that recipe.

amber@SAHM's musings September 14, 2010 at 5:21 pm

oh how fun! We had operation nursery 2 weeks before my daughter was born. nothing like waiting til the last minute but it’s my favorite room in the house :-) Have fun and don’t overdo it! Those egg scrambles look delish! I might have to give it a whirl. Also I think your friend’s advice is great! I bought a swivel rocker/glider (it’s a big cushy chair) at babies r us which I like and it’s not so babyish that we couldn’t use it elsewhere(now in our master bedroom) but I visited a friend who had a lazy boy and that’s really where it’s at! I would look for one that maybe works in more than one room in the house in the event you’d like to move the chair around.

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Thanks for the advice Amber – good idea to pick a chair that would look good in other rooms.

Jess @ atasteofconfidence September 14, 2010 at 6:17 pm

That scramble looks so yummy!

Lindsay McAlester September 14, 2010 at 6:49 pm

I wish I would have thought of that idea! Having a recliner versus a glider is genius! I had an expensive glider with foot stool and I did not seem to use as much as I expected to. So, I definately suggest the recliner! :) Good Luck!

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Thanks Linsday,
After reading through all the comments, I’ve decided to go with the recliner. :)

MoniMeals September 14, 2010 at 6:57 pm

My kind of Scrambles!!! I am so glad you are getting to get some Yoga in, good for you! :)

kelli September 14, 2010 at 6:57 pm

So exciting!! While I do not have a baby of my own this chair looks so comffy! http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=761&f=7088

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Kelli,
Ha – at one point, I was actually registered for that chair. You have good taste. ;) We ended up switching most of our registry to Amazon, but I our crib bedding is from Land of Nod. Such cute stuff!

kelli September 14, 2010 at 8:25 pm

omg haha we have the same style.. I love land of nod!

but reading other peoples comments a recliner seems superb..too bad cd can’t fit with you and the baby ahha

Courtney September 14, 2010 at 7:15 pm

We got a glider for our nursery (it’s actually a glider and a half, so slightly smaller than a love seat… we figured this way we’d have room to sit together and read stories once our son got bigger) but I like the recliner idea. I can’t tell you how many times I nursed my son to sleep and tried to put him down in the Moses basket next to that glider and lay down, only for him to wake up and cry to be held. A recliner would have made falling asleep after nursing so much easier.

I will say now that my son is 3.5, my husband and I sit in that glider in his room with him every night and read for at least a half hour. We’ve been doing that since he was very small, so I appreciate the glider for the longevity of its usefulness.

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Courtney,
I love that both you and your husband can sit in the glider together while you read to your son. :)

Heather September 14, 2010 at 7:17 pm

The recliner sounds like a great idea! Glider rockers are nice at first, but after you sit in them for a while, you really start wishing they had padding on the arms!
I also made myself an egg scramble this morning with leftovers from last night’s Margherita pizza…1 egg, 2 egg whites, a roma tomato, fresh mozzarella, and basil all wrapped up in an Ezekiel wrap! It was so filling!
Good luck with Operation Nursery! Can’t wait to see the final project!

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Heather,
Good point about the arm padding…also, loved your pizza wrap for breakfast. :)

Rachael September 14, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Pretty excited to read (in the comments above) that you’re forgoing a pink nursery – way to defy a gender stereotype :)
You reminded me I need to make cornbread. Soon.
Enjoy the rest of your nesting!

HEAB September 14, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Rachael,
Yeah, not much of a pink girl myself. :)

Jamie September 14, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Just wanted to mention on the recliner, I have a faux leather one and it’s great because you can wipe it clean if need be (which is often with babies/toddlers) plus I’ll use it another room in the future. Love your blog by the way!

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 8:39 am

Jamie,
Thanks for your advice and for reading. Yeah, we have a leather couch, and between the husband and 2 dogs, I am so thankful to just be able to wipe it clean! ;)

Meghan September 14, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I don’t have any babies of my own yet, but I vote recliner. The family I sat for in college had a glider and I would have loved being able to recline and relax more when I was rocking the baby, would have been way more comfortable.

Paige @ Running Around Normal September 14, 2010 at 9:10 pm

I bet the nursery will look SO cute!!
I would probably go for the recliner – you’re going to want comfort with that situation (not speaking from experience, but I would guess I would!)

Alyssa September 14, 2010 at 9:35 pm

The Lazy-Boy sounds like a sure thing!

PeonyJen September 14, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Yep, one La Z Boy Glider in each of my sons’ rooms! Best ever investment. Ever. They can take them with them when they leave the house! Awesome for breastfeeding!

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 8:38 am

PeonyJen,
Thanks for the advice. Going to La-Z-Boy today!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 14, 2010 at 11:41 pm

A chair. Ok this is reallllllly technical. You don’t just want any chair. Too squishy and the early days of nursing will be hard; you don’t want to “melt” into it. Nursing will be tricky enough, you need something firm-ish. But not too firm that by the time she’s 6 mos old you’re cursing that hard**s chair you bought.

Also width. Make sure it’s WIDE enough. You will have a nursing pillow around you. These things add 4-6 inches on EACH side of you. Make sure the chair is wide enough to accommodate you, pillow, and baby all comfortably.

As a lactation educator, the #1 chair mistake i see is a skimpy, too narrow chair.

Rocking, many babies don’t want to be rocked WHILE nursing. But afterward, yes. So make sure the chair is easy to keep still and non-rocking, if needed.

You never know what kind of kid is going to pop out, a picky one or a non-picky one. Skylar was very picky and particular about this all. And I ended up buying TWO chairs. Trying to save you a grand here :)

The sad thing, I have a GORGEOUS ultrasuede mint condition rocker I am about to donate or sell for cheap on craigslist. I totally wish I could give it to you. It was super pricey from an uber trendy baby boutique here in San Diego…I would love to pass it along to the Heablet and you!

Email me w/ chair questions, I could write even more of a novel than I already have :)

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 8:38 am

Averie,
Thanks so much…very good advice. I’m thinking of heading over to La-Z-Boy today to check out some different recliner/rockers. I’ll make to sure to look for wide and one that rocks, but is also still when the HEABlet is not feeling the rocking motion. Thanks! :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) September 15, 2010 at 12:11 am

aH how nice to get the carpets cleaned for baby heablet. I think that it would take us having a baby to get that feat accomplished too. :-)

Love you!

Marina September 15, 2010 at 1:35 am

I can’t wait to see the nursery!!
Have fun decorating it :)

michelle September 15, 2010 at 5:49 am

I had a rocking chair for my girls and would have given anything for a recliner! If I had it to do all over again I would definitely invest in a good quality lazy boy. You will enjoy the babe much more if you’re rested and comfortable!

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 8:35 am

Michelle,
Hitting up La-Z-Boy today. :)

Hayley September 15, 2010 at 5:57 am

I was going to offer up some advice on the chair, but Averie basically summed it up very well! I never thought about the width thing, but YES that makes a big difference! I love using my Boppy pillow and a friend was telling me that they never used to make gliders (that’s what we have) big enough.

We kind of went all out on the glider and bought a brand called Dutalier. It wasn’t cheap, but man do I love it…it is quite wide, super comfortable, has an ottoman that also has a nursing “stool” that comes out so you can prop your feet up with your knees bent, it reclines quite far back and provides excellent back support…I could definitely sleep in that darn thing! :)

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 8:34 am

Thanks Hayley. Good to know. :)

Wendy September 15, 2010 at 7:10 am

I had a glider and hated it! Never even sat in it with my second child. Plus it just looks like nursery furniture (hard to tranistion into the living room once the kids get older). I vote for the lazyboy recliner – plus it will last a lifetime!

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 8:32 am

Wendy,
I concur. :)

melissa @ the delicate place September 15, 2010 at 9:01 am

operation nursery lol. love it. and i am seriously about to drool on my keyboard looking at those scrambles. i am in NEED of some bacon in my life. how’s the raw macadamia nut butter? i love maca nuts!

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 9:08 am

Melissa,
Delicious. Spreadable maca nuts? Yum – you should definitely try it!

Steph September 15, 2010 at 9:29 am

YUM! This puts Corner Bakery’s Anaheim Scrambler to shame! Where’s the hot sauce? Corn bread looks like a prefect pairing – what about HEABified corn bread casserole?

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 11:50 am

Steph,

What was I thinking forgetting the wing sauce?!? Thanks for the reminder!

Oh, and corn bread casserole? I’m on it! ;)

Nolita Morgan September 15, 2010 at 10:02 am

I still have the rocking chair I got when my daughter was born (she’s 8 now). It’s a cool overstuffed rocker from Plow and Hearth similar to this one – http://www.plowhearth.com/product.asp?section_id=2002&department=3003&search_type=category&search_value=1056&cm_val=&cm_pos=&cur_index=1&cm_type=&pcode=10830 It’s a great chair to sit and read in and now that we have 2 more toddlers, I still use it. If I were in need of purchasing another one, I’d get the one from Pottery Barn (I think) – http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/lullaby-rocker-and-ottoman/?pkey=x%7C4%7C1%7C%7C3%7Crocker%7C%7C0&cm_src=SCH All of the items we’ve gotten from PB have lasted through the years. Also, I TOTALLY recommend the Anywhere Chair for the HEABlet as it can be used for years and years and has a removeable washable cover. My big 8 yr old still uses hers and I just got the oversized one for our almost 3 yr old boy who needs his own chair. So cute! Blissings!

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 11:57 am

Nolita,
Thanks for the advice and links. Just checked out the Pottery Barn Rocker, and we were actually registered for something similar over at Land of Nod. Both look so comfy. Wonder if they have one in store for me to try at Pottery Barn kids? Might stop by there. Also going to check out recliners today. I definitely want to try out the chair in person before deciding on anything. Thanks again, and I’ll be sure to ask about the Anywhere Chair as well while I’m at PB. :)

Pure2raw twins September 15, 2010 at 12:49 pm

my sister has a lazy boy recliner..it is awesome!!
Happy shopping!

Jessie September 15, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Hi Heather,
I have been reading your blog for a few months but this is the first time I’ve commented. I just wanted to put in my two cents about the chairs. I used a glider for nursing my babies but after a few months it wasn’t very comfortable for either of us. It seems like as the baby got bigger I ran out of room and nursing in the cradle hold, their head would hit the armrest. There was not enough room for a pillow or boppy. it was just too crowded. Plus with a glider you can’t recline. So I would definitely go with a Lazy Boy if I were to get another chair . Not sure if that will happen since we have 4 kiddies now. Best of luck with your search and I hope you find something that will be comfortable for you and your baby.

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Jessie,
Thanks for reading and for your input. Just got back from La-Z-Boy. Bought myself a big comfy recliner…the chair of my dreams! Now, let’s just hope it gets here in time. :)

Hands in Namaste September 15, 2010 at 4:38 pm

O.M.G. that egg-jam combo looks fabulous. Are you one of those people that dips runny eggs in toast?? (I AM!)

Can’t WAIT to see the Heablet’s room! (and find out her name!)

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Hands in Namaste,
In my opinion, that’s the ONLY way to eat eggs and toast! ;)

Gina September 15, 2010 at 9:28 pm

No advice on the chair, but I would like to recommend a Co-sleeper for your bed. It’s the most fabulous thing – sort of like a 3-sided crib that pulls up tight next to your bed and level with the top of your mattress (it has little feet thingies to raise the legs as high as you need them to go). Baby sleeps there instead of a bassinet and is right there and ready to go when it’s time to nurse in the middle of the night. You don’t need to get out of bed or do anything except turn over and get her. She can sleep in it safely until she starts to pull herself up. Then you can convert it to a play yard. http://www.armsreach.com/

HEAB September 16, 2010 at 8:34 am

Gina,
Yes, our friends have a co-sleeper they are giving to us. Thanks for the advice! :)

{ 1 trackback }