Corny

by HEAB on September 15, 2010

Last night’s prenatal yoga class was great. I took the same series back when I was 12 weeks pregnant, and then the instructor went on maternity leave for a couple of months. I’m so glad she’s back to teaching as it’s really nice to be in a class geared specifically towards yoga moves that I can do. Plus, I love meeting other mamas-to-be. This morning, the goal was an 8:30 gentle yoga class at my regular studio. It’s now 8:45, and I’m not there. Oh well, I think I’ll take the pups on a walk instead. Just couldn’t get motivated. However, I did manage to make myself a delicious breakfast.

Ever since I’ve been on my nut butter and jam kick, several of you have told me to try the eggs + jam combo. I made a goat cheese and apricot preserves omelet not too long ago, and why I haven’t done the eggs and jam thing again, I have no idea as that omelet tasted divine. Anyway, I decided today would be the day…better late than never, no?

2 pieces of warm cornbread topped with Trader Joe’s Reduces Sugar Strawberry Preserves and 2 cooked eggs

Breakfast was so good, that I think I might have it again for lunch. Really, you must try adding jam to your eggs…savory/sweet at its finest! Last night’s dinner included cornbread as well…

CD’s Almond Butter Chili with 1 slice of cornbread

Yes, I’ve eaten cornbread with my last 4 meals, and there are only 4 pieces left. How much do you want to bet those will be gone by the end of the day? Oh well, just means I get to make more. ;)

Thanks to everyone for your advice regarding whether I should purchase a glider or a La-Z-Boy. The recliner definitely came out the winner, and I’m going to try and look at some today. I figure I might was well buy a nice big comfy chair since I’m going to be spending lots of time in it come November. :)

Happy Wednesday!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 15, 2010 at 9:08 am

Your eggs are so perfect-looking! Yum!

Good luck chair-shopping!

Jessica @ How Sweet September 15, 2010 at 9:11 am

After yesterday and today, I have a huge craving for cornbread!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 15, 2010 at 9:11 am

I have done sweet eggs as a pancake, but never like that. I love eating cornbread with almond milk over it…like cereal. That is so good especially when the cornbread is a couple days old and a little dry. I got the idea from my father-in-law…he is a good ol’ country boy. Glad you enjoyed yoga and are feeling well! Have a great afternoon!

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 11:58 am

Sarena,
Oooh, I’ll have to try that with my HEABfied coconut milk. :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 15, 2010 at 9:17 am

Have fun shopping for a recliner! :) I love shopping for furniture.

Cornbread is delicious, and I’d eat it for every meal if I had some! I’m thinking of making CD’s almond butter chili this weekend — would it work in a crockpot? and have you ever added beans to the mix as well?

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Holly,
I’ve been wanting to try the almond butter chili in the crockpot as well. I’m thinking you would have to add the veggies towards the end as they would get really mushy. Personally, I have never added beans, but someone else told they did and that it was delicious. Let me know if you try it. :)

Jenny R. September 15, 2010 at 9:20 am

I’m so happy you posted about cornbread these past few days….I get home from work late at night and all I’ve been wanting is bread/crackers/carbs of some sort and there are never any in my house. I’ve never even had cornbread in my life but for whatever reason you have me craving it! I’m so going to be baking it !!!

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Jenny R,
Enjoy. :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 15, 2010 at 9:24 am

I will have to try that eggs and jam combo with some of my yummy peach jam!

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Samantha,
Just checked out your post – jam looks wonderful. I was just telling my mom that I want her to teach me how to can next summer. We’re going to do tons of jams and lots of veggies. I can’t wait! :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 15, 2010 at 9:31 am

you always come up with the most creative combinations! i love eggs and i love jam…why WOULDN’T i put them together?!

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Heather, I don’t know. Try it! :)

Sarah Jayne September 15, 2010 at 9:32 am

MMMM LOVE jelly & eggs! My breakfast-to-go EVERY morning is some variation of a scrambled egg, fresh cheese, jelly & english muffin/bagel/tortilla/whatever carb is handy. Yum!

As for your corn bread- ain’t no shame in stickin with what you like, right!! Clearly, I feel strongly about that :)

grocery goddess jen September 15, 2010 at 9:41 am

Yay for prenatal yoga! That sounds so nice and relaxing, but so does the walk with the dogs. And now I want eggs and jam…

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan September 15, 2010 at 9:47 am

Back when I used to eat eggs regularly, I’d make a sweet egg pancake (basically a not-folded omelette) for breakfast pretty often. I’d beat together an egg or two (or an egg + an egg white), pour it into a heated pan, and sprinkle the top with cinnamon sugar. I’d cook it until dry on the bottom, then flip it, sprinkle more cinnamon sugar on the other side, and cook another minute or so. It paired well with PB, jam, or maple syrup. :]

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Amber,
That sounds delicious. Breakfast tomorrow perhaps? :)

Ashley September 15, 2010 at 9:49 am

Too funny. My 15 year old cousin was just telling me that she eats eggs + jam on toast. She said she doesn’t know what made her think to do it, but it’s delicious, and I need to try it. I am obsessed with eggs and this combo sounds right up my alley. Yum. Also, all I have on my mind is cornbread. mmmm

Courtney (Pancakes and Postcards) September 15, 2010 at 9:55 am

haven’t tried eggs with jam… want to! i just keep smothering mine in sweet chili sauce.

Marcia September 15, 2010 at 10:00 am

I guess I missed the poll. I have a glider, but it was free from a neighbor! Great for grandmas rocking my son to sleep.

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Marcia,
Free is always nice. :)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 15, 2010 at 10:07 am

I’ve never put jam with my eggs. I’m trying to imagine it… it would probably be pretty good. haha.

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Michelle,
It is. Try it! :)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 15, 2010 at 10:15 am

Your cornbread looks wonderful!

Marisa @ Loser for Life September 15, 2010 at 10:29 am

Yum, I love cornbread and eggs! Wouldn’t those cornbread waffles that we talked about be great with eggs and bacon as a wafflewich?! I’m starving now…time for lunch!

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Marisa,
Yes – especially with a drizzle of maple syrup! :)

Tina September 15, 2010 at 10:48 am

I had to miss my usual class this morning because of a Mom’s Group activity I didn’t want little M to miss. I don’t think I’m going to be motivated to make it up later in the day…so I cleaned my house top to bottom instead and will go on a walk later. :)

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Tina,
Sometimes, I make cleaning my workout. I’ll do squats in-between swiffering, and I’ll run sprints up my stairs, do a few push-ups after cleaning each bathroom, etc. Great way to fit in a little extra exercise. :)

eatmovelove September 15, 2010 at 10:49 am

Oh man – the Chili won me over in this post again! Gosh, that CD is something else isn’t he? ;) Almond Butter – what WON’T it work with?! I’m going to have to make that…soon…

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Eatmovelove,
Yeah, all of CD’s recipes are my favorites. He’s been doing most of the cooking these days, and I’m grateful. Thinking of handing over kitchen duties to him. :)

Allison September 15, 2010 at 10:53 am

Not to disuade you from the recliner, but when the HEABlet becomes a toddler you have to be very careful with those. There have been cases where kids get their heads caught in between the foot rest and the chair when it’s in a reclined position.

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Allison,
Oh gosh – thanks for the input. I’ll look for one that doesn’t have a space between the chair and foot rest.

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 15, 2010 at 11:07 am

Still want cornbread. Now chili as well. Yum.

Walking is one of my favorite forms of exercise!

MoniMeals September 15, 2010 at 11:10 am

Long live Corn Bread!! I think I will have to get some asap, after seeing how you have been enjoying it.:)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 15, 2010 at 11:46 am

“Really, you must try adding jam to your eggs”–ok when I was a little girl, I used to love putting maple syrup from my pancakes on my eggs or the jam from my toast on them! I havent done that in 20 years but can still taste the memory, and it’s a good one!

Your yoga class, so happy that you went, that your teacher is back and 2 yoga classes within a 24 hour period? There would have been no way I’d have been up for an 830am class today coming on the heels of the evening class, and Im not 8 mos pregnant like you are!

Good luck on the chair shopping. Sit in a million of them and just make sure it totally speaks to you and is big enough. They all look huge b/c they are so tall, but not always wide enough as I mentioned before.

Can’t wait to hear what you got!

Maya September 15, 2010 at 12:04 pm

It’s nice to think I had a little part in convincing you to have sunny side up eggs with jam, and even nicer to know that you loved the combo! Truly, I think a crispy piece of toast makes it even better… next time?

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Maya,
Yes, totally thought of you this morning – bet it would have been even better with cherry jam…and yes, I must try it with toast soon! :)

The Healthy Apple September 15, 2010 at 12:08 pm

My mouth is watering; this looks delish, Heather….thank you for sharing this…gotta love the eggs n’ cornbread combo…it’s a favorite of mine!

Haylee September 15, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I love sweet and savory! I have a bacon and egg white sandwich on cinnamon raisin bread that I love!!!!

Nikki September 15, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I love that you didn’t feel guilty about not making it to yoga this morning. You did just go last night, and you gotta listen to what your body does or doesn’t feel like doing.

Your eggs look pretty good. I have to admit I’ve been loving on some cornbread this week too. I made some homemade tomato sauce, mixed it with pasta and crumbled in a cornbread. YUM!

Psst… I’m going to be having a giveaway for some Maranatha Almond Butter just as soon as I get it in, which should be by the end of the week. I’m trying to get the word out because I definitely can’t eat 4 jars myself!

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Nikki,
You can’t? Ha, CD and I would be glad to help you finish off those jars. :)

Nikki September 15, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Oh, let me specify that I can’t eat them all before November. I got them for $4 a piece, shipping included, because the exp date is in November. I can eat one or two that quick for sure. :) PLUS I get to try oats in a jar, they are glass, no?

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Nikki,
Oh, ok, now I get it. For a minute there, I was a bit concerned about your nut butter eating abilities. ;) And yes, Maranatha jars are glass. Enjoy!!! :)

Alyssa September 15, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I’m dying for cornbread and chili now! Bad me for looking at food blogs while hungry :-)

Sami September 15, 2010 at 12:49 pm

CORNiness at its ULTIMATE best :) agreed on the jam & eggs!

KL September 15, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I SOOOOOOO LOVE JAM ON EGGS! Friends use to think I am nuts–until they try it themselves YUMMMM-O I always did and still do put some on my eggs. I actually look at people funny when they put ketchup on eggs Barf!

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 3:16 pm

KL,
Haha – you sound like CD. He gags at the thought of ketchup on anything besides burgers or fries. I grew up on scrambled eggs and ketchup. I do love it!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) September 15, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Yum, I love the sweet and savoury combo of jam and eggs. And there is nothing wrong with eating cornbread 3x in a row! :)

xo
Kris

Laura September 15, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Eggs and jam is a concept I just cannot get my head around!! i’ll need to sample!!xx

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Laura,
Yes, give it a try. I think you’ll love. :)

Beth September 15, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I am obsessed with corn bread and could eat it with every meal! Yum! Now I am going to have to make some :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 15, 2010 at 2:58 pm

I looovee eggs and jam! I can’t have them any other way now :)

jodye @ 'scend food September 15, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Though I don’t eat eggs, your breakfast does sound truly delicious. Who can argue with a sweet and savory dish, especially when it comes with corn bread on the side! Cornbread never lasts long when I’m around ;-)

elk September 15, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Yey for pregnant yoga :)
I’m always intrigued by cornbread. I’ve never had it (or seen it in real life, I don’t think), and may have to attempt making some.
I’m also definately with you on the nut butter and jam combination. I think there was a time where I put raspberry jam and roasted almond butter on pretty much everything…apples…rye bread…there’s something about its sweet almondy saltiness. I probably won’t be trying the jam and egg combo though. Every so often I get an egg craving, then either boil or poach one, and discover why I never make them. I just really don’t like eggs. Unless they are in cake (would jam on cake count??)
Hope the nursery decorating is going well :)

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Elk,
Yes, jam on cake counts…there are eggs in there somewhere. ;)

BroccoliHut September 15, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Hmm might just have to try the eggs and jam thing. I’m dreaming of a cherry preserves creation…

Michelle (@ Housewife in the Raw) September 15, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I had a glider and loved it. I think the key thing is the ability to get your feet up, which either chair will allow. And – have a table (we used a tv tray) next to it with reading materials and water. I would get total cotton mouth as soon as I started nursing, so it really helped to have water already waiting for me. I loved those first few months of rocking and nursing. Such a sweet time that passes all too fast.

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Michelle,
I went with a La-Z-Boy. Oh my gosh, so excited. Chair of my dreams, and I figured when we’re done using it in the nursery, we can put in our living room. Just hope it gets here in time!

Annie@stronghealthyft September 15, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Good attitude about missing your yoga class :-) I missed my planned workout today too, but it was my first day at a new job and I could not sleep last night, had to get up at 5am and was at work later than I was scheduled. So I napped instead!

HEAB September 15, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Annie,
Hope your first day at the new job went okay…glad you got in a nap. :)

Tracy September 15, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Heather, you need to try my favorite toast/bread/pancake topping: smeared avocado, sea salt and jam. You’d love it!

HEAB September 16, 2010 at 9:01 am

Tracy,
Tried it for breakfast this morning on an egg crepe. So good – thank you!!!

Katie September 15, 2010 at 6:03 pm

I’ve never tried the sweet/savory combo with eggs. I am ashamed of myself.

Sylvia September 15, 2010 at 6:39 pm

As always, your dishes make me salivate and sad that I never have the time or opportunity to try them. Maybe when I move into a place of my own, I’ll try all of your dishes, one dish for each day. Teehee, that sounds like a fun idea! ;)

Oh, forgot to mention – your package will be shipped tomorrow! Await its arrival, my love :) <3

HEAB September 16, 2010 at 9:03 am

Sylvia,
What’s stopping you from trying them now. Skip your mom’s smoothie and eat some eggs and jam! ;) Thanks again for sending the package and no rush. :)

Sylvia September 16, 2010 at 10:07 am

Oh believe me, if I could get away from her smoothie, I would. I could be 2 hours away and she would call me to come back and drink that dang smoothie! And if I don’t pick up, I’ll have hell to pay when I get back, haha. So no, I won’t risk my mom’s wrath, lol*

Kristen September 15, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I loved the prenatal yoga class I went to (maybe 6 weeks ago). It was so soothing and we even got lavender scented bean bags.

HEAB September 16, 2010 at 9:06 am

Kristen,
lavender scented bean bags – what a nice touch. I want one. :)

Elizabeth September 15, 2010 at 9:04 pm

YES!! I agree so much! Everyone in my family thinks I’m a little crazy when I do the savory/sweet breakfast thing – my FAVORITE combination is making scrambled egg sandwiches with eggs, grape jam, and pumpernickel toast… also, swapping out the eggs with cottage cheese is mighty tasty, too!!

HEAB September 16, 2010 at 9:00 am

Elizabeth,
Sounds brilliant to me…definitely NOT crazy! :)

Meghan September 15, 2010 at 9:10 pm

I tried to make vegan cornbread the other day and it was an epic fail (taste was off and it was dry as a board) but your cornbread looks so good and it is making me crave it again! I think I am going to try round 2–with a different recipe.
I don’t know if I could get on board with eggs and jam. I actually love plain eggs over easy with toast for sopping up yolk…yummy.

HEAB September 16, 2010 at 9:00 am

Meghan,
I want to try this cornbread recipe next: http://www.yogaisyummy.net/?page_id=5949. Polly says it’s delicious, although it’s not vegan as it contains eggs. However, if you want to make it vegan, you could always sub gelled flax or chia seeds for eggs…but according to your comment, sounds like you eat eggs, so nevermind. Oh, and you should totally try the eggs + jam combo…I thinking it might surprise you. ;)

Emily September 15, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I love how versatile you’ve made cornbread if your last few meals. I have really been craving it this summer but have yet to find a good dairyfree recipe for it.

HEAB September 16, 2010 at 8:58 am

Emily,
The Bob’s Red mill recipe I made is good, but I really want to try Polly’s recipe soon. She says it’s delicious: http://www.yogaisyummy.net/?page_id=5949. No dairy, but it does include eggs.

clare September 15, 2010 at 10:48 pm

thanks for the reminder heather, i always forget about cornmeal but i love it! ive been eating sorghum hot cereal lately…have you tried?

HEAB September 16, 2010 at 8:56 am

Clare,
Yes, another reader sent me some sorghum several months ago, and I made hot cereal with. Yum.

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' September 15, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Ooh, I’ve never thought of adding jam to my eggs! When I was younger, I loved eating jam with my breakfast sausage, though! I love sweet-savory combos like that!

A comfy chair is definitely a must for you! My sister-in-law is a new mother, and we all fight over who gets to sit in her new rocking chair when she’s not using it. ;)

HEAB September 16, 2010 at 8:55 am

Megan,
Try the jam and eggs – I think you would love it. I ended up buying a La-Z-boy recliner yesterday, and I am in love. I think there may be fights over who gets to sit in it. Hehe…now, I just hope it arrives before the HEABlet. It’s going to take 6 – 8 weeks to get here. I want it now!

Barbara September 16, 2010 at 4:13 am

Hi .. I’ve never commented but just had to at this.. My gramma always always always ate her eggs with peanut butter and jam with toast. Always a slightly runny egg as well so it all melded together. She didn’t have it often and I remember just sitting in awe as a young girl wondering how she could do it!

HEAB September 16, 2010 at 8:54 am

Barbara,
Hi, thanks for reading! Your gramma sounds like one wise woman. ;)

Carolyn September 16, 2010 at 4:35 am

Chipolte Almond Butter is very good on corn bread.. I have also put it in my cornbread recipes.. Flavor is more in tense schmeard on top…

HEAB September 16, 2010 at 8:52 am

Carolyn,
Oh gosh…I think I need to go buy a jar of Planters! I remember you making that combo now…I need it!

Cynthia (It All Changes) September 16, 2010 at 12:59 pm

HEAB pregnant is just as awesome as HEAB not pregnant. This little girl is just showing you how to be even more amazing!

HEAB September 16, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Wow Cynthia, thanks so much! :)