Elvis Sundae HEABified

by HEAB on September 18, 2010

Reader Carolyn recently sent me a link to Rachael Ray’s Elvis-style Grilled Banana Sundae. She also sent me a package of peanut flour in the mail. Time to HEABify!

Bacon + ice-cream? Yep! ;)

First up, I fried one strip of bacon and then in the same skillet fried one sliced banana with some cinnamon. While the banana was cooking, I whipped up a batch of vanilla protein ice-cream and added 2 TBSP of peanut flour.

Conclusion? Peanut butter ice-cream topped with bacon and fried bananas is amazing. Thanks Carolyn!

Winner of the Naturally Nutty Sunflower seed butter is Foodcents. Congrats! Please email me with your address, and your butta will be on its way! By the way, Chris is a financial analyst. Most of you answered correctly, and so I just entered every comment in the giveaway. Thanks for playing. :)

VeggieGirl September 18, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Oh. my. heavens.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 18, 2010 at 1:06 pm

I love you! That is amazing!

HEAB September 18, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Sarena,
I bet the Illustrator loves me more. ;)

Ana September 18, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Congrats to Foodcents! – although I was so hoping to win this one, :-)
Protein ice cream and fried bananas look divine! (but no bacon for me…)

eatmovelove September 18, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Okay…so I was so NOT right about CD – knew it! LOL. I was thinking afterwards though that I should have said something with finances…considering he’s been helping with the “Budgeting”! :)

Oh My LORD – Fried Bananas? YES please. I was actually looking at my bananas the other day and thinking I should pop them in a stir-fry…and then just called myself crazy…but maybe I’m not ;) …don’t answer.

And the bacon is just “icing” on the cake :)

christina cadden September 18, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I do not think I would have ever put together bacon and ice cream plus pb.

HEAB September 18, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Christina,
Yeah, most people probably wouldn’t. ;)

Felicia September 18, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Okay, this is awesome. I honestly think I would love the salty and sweet combo and never would have though of it. One day when I’m having serious cravings I’m going to make this! Speaking of bananas, I just bought the cutest little bananas in the store yesterday. They are soo tiny! OMG You should get them for the heablet when she comes !! And if you’ve never seen them/don’t have them, I will ship them to you!

HEAB September 18, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Felicia,
Yes, you must try the Elvis sundae someday. The fried naners with cinnamon were the best part. I’ve seen those tiny bananas but never had them. Please let me know what you think. I’m wondering if they’re sweeter than the normal sized ones.

Felicia September 18, 2010 at 2:30 pm

They taste just the same!

Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) September 18, 2010 at 2:14 pm

If Elvis ate that more than his sammiches, maybe he’d still be around.

Lovely! So glad to see bacon getting in on the ice cream action!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 18, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I don’t doubt that tastes incredible!! I’d definitely chow down on some if bacon were in my diet. ;)

Kati @ Living Well September 18, 2010 at 2:22 pm

The little HEABlet is enjoying such a wide variety of dishes! I would have never thought of that combo but it looks, uh, interesting :>

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 18, 2010 at 2:26 pm

This should be canonized.

Little Bookworm September 18, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Definitely sounds like a different type of sundae! (Oh and thanks for the suggestion of making my own flavoured nut butters – chocolate almond butter is amazing! :D )

HEAB September 18, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Little Bookworm,
So glad you tried it, and you can never go wrong with chocolate + almonds. Perhaps you’ll start a trend in the UK, and they’ll have to start selling it! :)

Heather September 18, 2010 at 2:50 pm

HO.LY. SHNIKEYS.
A pms-ers dream :)
I’ve made chocolate covered bacon, but pb,banana,and bacon?!
I’m so excited to try this :)

HEAB September 18, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Heather,
Every pregnant woman’s dream as well. Enjoy! :)

Katie @ Her Inner Shine September 18, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I recently found your blog Heather and I love it. I have no idea why it took so long to find. Thanks for all your recipes. I love them. Also, I can’t wait for some food updates when the little one is born. It will be wonderful to see how you deal with all the ups and downs of feeding the little one.

Thanks for blogging and I will definitely continuing to follow.

HEAB September 18, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Katie,
Thanks so much for reading, and I’m glad you found me. Yes, the life with the little one is going to be very interesting. We can’t wait! :)

Justine September 18, 2010 at 3:17 pm

We have a local restaurant that made not just a bacon Sundae, but bacon ice cream! I am not sure if they put it on their menu, but I do know that they made it at the request of one of them employees for his birthday. Smart kid, he was.
I love that you fried the banana in bacon fat- now THAT was genius.
Hope you’re having a lovely weekend!

HEAB September 18, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Justine,
We have a gelato place here in town that sells maple bacon flavor, and I hear it’s a top seller. I have yet to try it, but I think I’ve definitely been missing out!

Meg September 18, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Gonna have to agree with VeggieGirl on this one ;) Ohhhh my heavens.

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) September 18, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Oh my gosh. That looks INCREDIBLE.

xo
Kris

Nicole September 18, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I’m salivating. That looks awesome!!
I’ve tried the little bananas and I thought they tasted a little different … the texture was a little tougher to me, almost plantain like.
Hope you’re having a great day!! <3

HEAB September 18, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Nicole,
Aw, I thought the bananas would be more sweet – kind of like banana custard or something. Oh well, a girl can dream. :)

Laura September 18, 2010 at 4:12 pm

You really do never cease to amaze me!!! xx

Lara (Thinspired) September 18, 2010 at 4:41 pm

No words, Heabs. No words.

BroccoliHut September 18, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Ah man, I am a huge fan of the Elvis combo, but it wasn’t until now that I realized I was limiting myself by only enjoying it in sandwich form. Elvis smoothie? Elvis parfait? The possibilities are endless…

HEAB September 18, 2010 at 6:24 pm

BroccoliHut,
YES, make an Elvis parfait! Can’t wait to see what you create. :)

Kati September 18, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Elvis. What a smart man. Fried peanut butter, bacon, and banana. I think his music is just ok, but the man was onto something with this combo.

HEAB September 18, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Katie,
Agreed!

Steph September 18, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Excuse me miss – where’s the Dark Chocolate??? J/k – but this Sundae sparked two creative thoughts:
1) maple nut butter ice cream?
2) Fire and Ice Sundae?

PS – despite the peanuts, I think this would make Mark from Mark’s Daily Apple change the name of his blog to Mark’s Daily Bacon

HEAB September 18, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Steph,
Haha – I wonder if Mark would approve if I used almond butter ice-cream instead? I’ll have to try that as well as the maple nut butter flavor! :)

Alex September 18, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Oh my goodness gracious, that has to be the prettiest, bacon-filled banana split I have ever seen! I think I am going to grill some bananas tonight with cinnamon-what a heavenly combo!

HEAB September 18, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Alex,
Have you seen many bacon-filled banana splits? ;) Enjoy your grilled bananas and cinnamon. “Heavenly” definitely describes that combo!

Halley (Blunder Construction) September 18, 2010 at 6:01 pm

My jaw literally dropped when I saw this sundae! I think this would cause relationship issues between my boyfriend and me. I can’t foresee us sharing this sundae and it ending in a friendly way!! YUMMM

HEAB September 18, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Halley,
Hehe – enjoy. I’ve found that bacon is the way to most men’s hearts. :)

kelli September 18, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Have I ever told you of a great recipe blog for moms? It has kid-friendly, baby, toddler and big-kid recipes. You will LOVE it has a lot of baby purees also. http://www.weelicious.com

HEAB September 18, 2010 at 6:16 pm

No, I don’t think you have. Thanks Kelli! I’ll be sure to check out the site. :)

MoniMeals September 18, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Incredible! There is a restaruant out here in LA that for a dessert, they sprinkle bacon over a fudge like-chocolate-cake. Craziness! :)
Ummm..you must be preggers!

HEAB September 18, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Moni,
I want that cake, and that’s NOT the Heablet talkin’. ;)

Jessica @ How Sweet September 18, 2010 at 8:12 pm

I love you. Let’s have a bacon party.

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 8:25 am

Jessica,
Just tell me when and where, and I’ll be there. ;)

Rachael September 18, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Proof that Elvis was a genius for more than musical reasons. Granted. his favorite sandwich may not have helped his health, but way to think of great flavor combinations. Long live the King, and props to HEAB for channeling his epic-ness. Bacon in a sundae? Beautiful, in that slow, Southern style…

Katie @ peacebeme September 18, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Oh my gosh, my boyfriend would LOVE this. He loves anything and everything bacon, it is literally his favorite food. He is in Afghanistan and always saying he can’t wait to have real bacon when he gets home, not the soggy stuff hey cook there, lol.

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 8:25 am

Katie,
Hope your boyfriend gets some decent bacon soon…definitely the way to most men’s hearts. Please tell him thank you for all that he is doing!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 18, 2010 at 9:31 pm

HEAB I don’t have anything to say except HOLY CRAP THAT LOOKS DELICIOUS!

Namaste Gurl September 18, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Wow. Looks amazing, as per usual :) I’ll have to try that– I think I get a little fearful of the sweet and savory combo, that must be holding me back. But i’m holding back no more– must try this, however I’ll have to veggie-ize it with tempeh bacon….and I actually have some on hand :)

Oh and I picked up some cornmeal from bulk at WF and made the cornbread…however instead of buttermilk or your coconut milk, I used WF brand US ricemilk– we’ll see how it turns out. The batter was pretty coarse…

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 8:24 am

Namaste,
Hope the cornbread came out okay. I’m planning on making more today myself!

clare September 18, 2010 at 10:10 pm

YES. i love the elvis conconctions. i have to do this soon with oats, its been on my TO EAT list literally for like a freaking year! thanks for the delish reminder heather! :)

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 8:23 am

Clare,
I was dreaming of making Elvis oats and pancakes this week. Great minds think alike! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 18, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Great heab-ification on the sundae. Nice word, huh :)

I have peanut flour but I dont use it. I need to start! I dont know why, I just havent but need to change that :) I guess b/c I dont use flour very often! Being GF for so long, I am just accustomed to living/eating/cooking without flour since i think GF flour is a waste of $$ and too dry anyway in most results but i digress.

Love the peanut flour use!

Have a stellar weekend. Doctor’s orders: go do something fun & carefree! Time’s ticking, and carefree will be on hold…just for a bit :)

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 8:22 am

Averie,
Advice taken – promise to get out and do something fun today!

Sarah B September 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm

This indeed is what dreams are made of. 2010 has been the year of rekindling my love for bacon. After tasting bacon bloody Marys, bacon chocolate, and bacon jam, this may take the top spot. Thanks for sharing!

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 8:21 am

Sarah B,
You’re welcome. Enjoy! :)

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly September 18, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Hahaha, I love the bacon incorporation going on in your household. Elvis-flavored anything is amazing! PB and banana is, I think, my favorite combination ever. I want to get through my PB2 before I try the peanut flour, but it sounds just as lovely.

I can’t wait to give the protein ice cream a try. I do not have a vita-mix, but I’ve been having really happy results with things in my food processor, so maybe I should give it a whirl soon. Thanks for yet another fabulous idea. :-)

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 8:20 am

Kristen,
Not sure how the protein ice-cream would fare in the food processor, but definitely worth a try. I hope it works. Peanut flour is great by the way. I liked PB2, but it was always a bit too salty for me. Love being able to control the salt and sweet factor with the peanut flour and the peanut flavor is seems stronger as well.

Marty September 19, 2010 at 3:52 am

Ok, I agree with VeggieGirl, though it sounds great, sweet and salty, being vegan! But, the days…long, long ago when I was a kid…my mother would make the best sandwich in the world. It was a peanut butter on toast with sauteed onions and bacon! You could HEABify it Heather with almond butter and your rice tortilla’s!

She also made the best peanut butter (again you sub almond butter!) cookies, using the bacon grease as the shortening. Anyone want the recipe I’ll send it to Heather. We’re into Gimme Lean sausage these days – I’m vegan, he’s a hunter! Wonder how that would be sprinkled on “our” homemade vegan ice cream? My husband probably would think I’m nuts, but sounds an alternative to the bacon to me! And yes, I’ll be making my cacao/agave sauce to drizzle on top!

Ps. Little late, I thought CD was a financial analyst or some financial wiz kid of some sort too!

Pps. Coconut milk: I just bought some canned to try your recipe, I’m excited as the carton coconut milk that just hit the scene here, on sale, at $2.00/carton is spendy. I’m excited to have an alternative Heather, I love finding thrifty ways to make anything.

Ppps. I just made the Kale Butter or Dip tonight using collards and Swiss chard with walnuts, equally as delish as the kale. I’d say whatever greens you have on hand would work fine! Last day for our Farmer’s Market today, we’re predicted to have our first frost on Thurs or Fri. Lucky y’all that are still in the sun and warmth (though I do love fall, and not the -20 to -60 winter temps!)

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 8:18 am

Marty,
I for one would love the recipe for the cookies using the bacon grease. Um, I bet those tasted amazing! I need to try the kale butter with walnuts – I think I would love…and I know you’ll love the coconut milk. I drink it by the glassful. I bet it would great warmed up with a little cocoa and sweetener to keep you warm during your first frost! :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit September 19, 2010 at 8:14 am

You are brave!

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun September 19, 2010 at 8:17 am

Okay, I’ve been meaning to make your protein ice cream for a while now, but this is amazing! I NEED to make this! :-)

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 8:19 am

Erika,
Yes, you do. :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) September 19, 2010 at 8:43 am

Naturally, I just this minute got back from TJ’s, where I was eyeballing the peanut flour but decided not to buy it because I didn’t know what I’d do with it. Thanks, HEAB. Hmph.

On the bright side, I found that TJ’s sells little 1-oz fresh goat cheese medallions! I’m sure CD would NOT approve of that, cost-wise, but living alone, the individual packaging makes it worth it because I won’t end up throwing any away due to spoilage. At least that’s what I tell myself. :)

CD has a very useful occupation! For people like you and me who over spend on groceries, that is. I need to find me one o’him.

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 9:24 am

Diana,
Your goat cheese sometimes spoils? That makes me very sad…if I lived in NYC, I would make sure that never happened again. ;)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) September 22, 2010 at 2:01 pm

And of course you are more than welcome to visit for a mission of refrigerator mercy any time. ;)

Scott in Ohio September 19, 2010 at 9:35 am

Bacon on a sundae? Holy. Moly. (as Polly would say) :-)

Wanted to comment on your budget post but the comments were closed out…

So what happens if both husband AND wife can’t stick to the list? (#6) Haha.

Awesome Auburn/Clemson game last night. Hope you and CD had a good weekend.

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 10:23 am

Scott,
Yeah, that could be a problem. You might have to hire a CD to do all your shopping. He NEVER strays from the list.

Regarding the game, I turned it off when I saw that Clemson was ahead by about 20 points. I’m ashamed to say I don’t even know who won. Very bad alumni I am!

Eden September 19, 2010 at 4:23 pm

one word: genius
really i have nothing else to say, I’m speechless by the beauty of this whole thing!

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Eden,

carlee September 19, 2010 at 9:54 pm

wow! that actually looks kinda good! I’d be going ot of my limb to put anything on my ice cream let alone bacon! I’ll have to try!

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 8:24 am

Carlee,
Try it…I dare ya. ;)

carlee September 20, 2010 at 11:44 pm

haha okay! u should check out my blog! and i will try it! fooo sho!

emily (a nutritionist eats) September 21, 2010 at 3:37 pm

I cut that sundae out of her magazine! It sounds amazing, I just need a Vitamix to make protein ice cream!

HEAB September 21, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Emily,
Do you have a food processor? You could always just make PB/banana soft serve. :)

{ 2 trackbacks }