Visions of Thailand

by HEAB on September 19, 2010

This morning’s breakfast was out of this world!

Tom Ka Gai Inspired Oatmeal

I love Tom Ka Gai, or chicken coconut soup, but it’s been years since I’ve had any. Well, I woke up this morning dreaming of Thai food…weird, huh? I’m pretty sure it was the HEABlet talkin’. ;) So, I cooked 1/2 cup old fashioned oats on the stovetop with 1 cup HEABified coconut milk and a pinch of salt. Once my oats were all nice and creamy, I removed them from the heat and topped my bowl with unsweetened shredded coconut and a big dollop of chili-limon pistachio butter. Say what? Yep, that’s right, chilli-limon pistachio butter, and it’s amazing. The flavors in this bowl worked so well together, and I can’t wait to eat it again!

My friend Sylvia (who recently started her own blog, Life Is Good With Food) and I started emailing back and forth this summer after she started reading HEAB, and yesterday, I received the most thoughtful package from her.

Thanks Sylvia!

She sent us so many goodies, including tons of tea, onesies for the HEABlet, yam cookies, homemade sun-dried tomatoes, the amazing pistachio butter (made by Sylvia herself), and all sorts of other items, my favorite being the following…

Little weeble-wobbles. They are just so cute and will definitely be on display in the baby’s room!

Before I go, I wanted to acknowledge a few other wonderful ladies who have sent gifts for the HEABlet.

Emily from Sugar Plum sent us some adorable outfits paired with striped tights and threw in a box of Pop-Tarts for me. Ha, nice touch Emily! ;) Please check out Emily’s blog for the most beautiful dessert recipes and photos. Seriously, I have no doubts that she will be famous someday. :)

Thanks Emily – I love the tights!

Last week, the following arrived from my favorite Fitnessista

BabyLegs Leg Warmers. Love them Gina…too bad they don’t make them in adult sizes. ;)

Thanks again for everyone’s kindness and generosity. CD, myself, and the baby feel so loved.

What’s your favorite Thai dish?

Mimi (Gingersnaps) September 19, 2010 at 10:27 am

Aww! All of that stuff is so cute! It’s so awesome to have so many friends across the country. Gotta love that about blogging!

christina cadden September 19, 2010 at 11:00 am

That oatmeal looks so good and those clothes are so cute!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 19, 2010 at 11:01 am

I love how great and supportive the blog world is. You are getting some great packages :)

Sylvia September 19, 2010 at 11:11 am

Aw I’m so happy to hear that you loved the pistachio butter! As for the yam cookies, I was going to give you the whole jar that I bought from the market, but then I was curious to see how it tasted. And… well, let’s just say that after I tasted one, I was thinking, “Hmmm, maybe I should only give Heather half of the jar…” Hehe. :) The same went for the sun-dried tomatoes but then I thought, “Eh, it’s okay. I have a dehydrator and a bountiful supply of tomatoes (I grew the little cherry tomatoes this year in our garden and boy, are they aBOOMING! Lol), I can always make myself more.” ;)

Enjoy your goodies and the rest of your weekend, my friend!<3

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 19, 2010 at 11:13 am

Those leg warmers are so cute. My niece wore those all the time when she was a baby. Her legs looked so cute in those!

Favorite thai dish? I’m not sure, but I love veggies and noodles — so that could mean a million different thai dishes :)

Sylvia September 19, 2010 at 11:19 am

Oh! Forgot to mention, you should REALLY try those chocolate-covered sunflower seeds – like, NOW. They are the most freshest sunflower seeds you could ever eat, hehe! The nutty folks at Nutsonline are amazing; they sent me a free sampler of goji berries but since my mom have a whole stockload of them in the fridge, I decided to give them to you. They’re pretty tasty in soup as well ;)

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Sylvia.
Haha – I would have kept all those yam cookies for myself. ;) Thanks for sharing, and honestly, I’m a bit obsessed with the pistachio butter. Had some for lunch as well…I want to drink it. Thanks again! :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood September 20, 2010 at 10:45 am

Heather,
Aww! That’s so sweet of you to say that, haha. Well, I can’t share the yam cookies with you anymore anyway – the cookie monster (AKA my brother) had is hand in the cookie jar and when I went into his room this morning, his bed was empty and so was the jar! I guess we’re not the only ones who love them, haha :) Enjoy the rest of your pistachio butter and definitely try out the sun-dried tomatoes. I taste-tested one to see if it had enough flavor and I personally think that it does ;)

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan September 19, 2010 at 11:28 am

THis isn’t really a thai “dish” but whenever I go to a thai restaurant I order bubble tea and enjoy chewing on the bubbles :)

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Jennifer,
I have never had bubble tea…I know I eat some weird things, but those little bubbles kind of scare me.

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 19, 2010 at 11:34 am

Chili-limon pistachio butter: Now I’ve seen it all (in terms of nut butters)! Must have some!

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 19, 2010 at 11:34 am

Those baby leg warmers are killer! So cute.

Last weekend, my boyfriend took me to a Thai place that had steamed vegetables with peanut sauce. I licked my plate clean. I like any Thai dish that involves peanuts or peanut sauce.

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Caitlin,
Me too – I love peanut sauce!

eatmovelove September 19, 2010 at 12:22 pm

You have some beautiful readers HEAB. I’m going to check out their blogs.

But y’know – you get back what YOU give out – and you give out a whole ‘lotta goodness :)

Chili. Limon. Pistachio. Butter.

I think I just died a little. ;)

gina (fitnessista) September 19, 2010 at 12:28 pm

those little weeble wobbles are so insanely cute! i want some, haha
and you’re so right about emily- i can’t wait to be able to say i knew her before she was famous ;)
so happy you liked the leg warmers! <3
love you friend!

Ellen September 19, 2010 at 12:40 pm

those weeble wobbles are too cute. i think i want some in MY room! haha

i love most thai food, but last time i had the pork pad bai gra pow, which is ground pork and vegetables with a fried (runny) egg and rice. my favorite thai place in my home town uses naturally raised meats, free range eggs, and locally grown vegetables so it is a healthy but hearty dish. here’s to more thai food! :)

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Ellen,
That restaurant sounds amazing. Wish we had a Thai place like that here in Nashville. I don’t think any of ours are using naturally raised meats or locally grown veggies. That’s great!

melissa @ the delicate place September 19, 2010 at 12:41 pm

i love thai food but don’t want to go there because it’s like the snake-iest filled country in the world. snakes are my arch nemesis, i cower in their presence and i could only envision myself enjoy a beach resort side of thailand for 2 days before i got horribly bored. i am a total explorer BUT knowing the jungle is filled with snakes would be too much for me to handle ;) fave dish is the green papaya salad and tom yum soup with shrimp

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Melissa,
I forgot about green papaya salad. I’ve only had a couple of times, but it’s so good. I didn’t know about the snake thing…I still want to go to Thailand someday, but I think I’ll avoid the jungle!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 19, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Ohhhh what cute goodies! You have thoughtful & generous friends and readers b/c YOU are thoughtful and generous. That whole getting what you give thing, the getting back the type of energy you put out there in the world..well, it’s clear that your loving, great, energy is felt by others and they turn around and hook you up with sweet lil care packages :)

I love the weeble wobbles, too cute! And baby legs! I had some of those for Skylar. It’s great when changing lots of diapers b/c you dont actually have to take off a whole pair of pants and put them back on, the leg warmers just skip a step. Doesnt sound like a biggie til you’re doing like 10+ diaper changes a day and then a few mins saved here & there adds up…and they are CUTE of course!

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Averie,
Yes, that’s what I heard about the BabyLegs…great for diaper changing. I have a feeling the HEABlet will be in them all winter long! :)

Namaste Gurl September 19, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Awwwh, those gifts for the little HEAB are SOOOOO cute :) Love the elephant onsie and of course all the whole made nut butters– i’m sure she’ll love those, eventually :) Can’t wait to see pics of the little noodle :)

Your thai- coconut oats looks amazing. I made some of those a couple days ago. I wanted some NN cinnamon cashew butter, however, I was sans any. So I just used good ole’ peanut butter. It was still yummy made with coconut milk (your wholemade recipe, that is!), cinnamon and ginger and topped with shredded coconut and peanut butter. I love fats– espcially coconut (*butter*).

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Namaste,
Your fat-filled oats sound so good. I need to remember to add some ginger to mine next time!

Amy September 19, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Oh no! Now I want oatmeal! It looks so good.

And what a coincidence!

On Friday night, I had vegetable and tofu pad thai with some friends who were visting.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 19, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I love Thai food!! My favorite’s spicy tofu, shrimp, and veggie curry :) Yum!

Ana September 19, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I only now venturing myself in the Thai cuisine. We decided to try a Thai pizza from a local joint and we looooved it. So delicious, it had a peanut sauce that was amazingly good, paired with spicy chicken, carrots, Serrano chillies and bean sprouts. I was in love with the filling of that pizza, and I am not even a pizza fan (way far from that to be truth).
Now I want to learn more about Thai food and to make those delicious sauces and spicy good combination. (any recommendations on delicious thai food are welcome!)
Interesting flavors on your oats, I like that, and the pistachio butter sound good too! And so many lovely and cute gifts, aaawww!!!
Have a great Sunday Heather!

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Ana,
Not a pizza fan? Oh my…I love my pizza, and next time I eat some, I’ll eat enough for both of us. Sound good? ;) I’ve had Thai pizza before, and it was so good. Love anything with peanut sauce. I rarely make my own Thai dishes, but I have made super easy ones by just adding curry paste to coconut milk and adding chicken to it. Top with a little cilantro and you’re good to go. :)

Kati @ Living Well September 19, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Ah, those baby clothes are so cute! Tights!! Adorableee. I can’t wait to fill our little one’s closet. :>

MoniMeals September 19, 2010 at 2:58 pm

NO WAY! What a great idea on the oatmeal! My favorite Thai dish IS Tom Ka Gai.( I have a great recipe for it) I should get more creative apparently!
I am glad you have so many dear friends to spoil you. :) Looks like you sure are loved. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 19, 2010 at 3:02 pm

That is a ton of loot and booty! You are just so darn lovable! The weeble wobbles are too sweet! The leg warmers are just too cute too! You are goig to have so much fun dressing her up!

StephORama September 19, 2010 at 3:25 pm

I love Thai food so much! I love Tom Kha soup, and there is a thai place down the street from me that makes it with tofu. So good! I also love the classic Pad Thai and pretty much anything with peanut sauce. Your Thai oats look amazing and really make me want to eat some coconut!

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 5:59 pm

StephORama,
I’m with you on the Pad Thai and peanut sauce. Love them both!

jodye @ 'scend food September 19, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Your oatmeal looks wonderful! I’ve made pistachio butter, but never of the ‘chili-limon’ variety. That certainly is something I’d like to try.

Amy September 19, 2010 at 3:37 pm

I used to live in Thailand! I absolutely LOVE Thai food. My favorite meal is vegetable panang curry, white rice, and a young thai coconut. Plus a few sips of my boyfriend’s Singha Beer, since I know he’ll be ordering one :) .

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Amy,
How cool – I’ve always wanted to visit Thailand…someday! :)

Katie September 19, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I want some baby leg warmers for myself!

Thai Kitchen has this really great Tom Ka Gai soup base packet – it comes with two seasoning packets (enough for two big pots of soup). All you have to add is a can of coconut milk and chicken and veggies. I’m sure you could make it from scratch, but you can’t beat that for ease!

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Katie,
Thanks for the tip…sounds super easy, and I’m into easy these days!

Pure2raw twins September 19, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Baby leg warmers?? Love it!
And the weeble wobbles are too cute!

We just recently starting following Emily’s blog, we love it. Such a great inspiration!!

kelli September 19, 2010 at 4:24 pm

your baby is going to be a mini fashionista with an outfit for everyday of the year ahah :D

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 19, 2010 at 4:27 pm

oh my gosh i just saw baby leg warmers on a baby yesterday…cutest thing EVER!

Nicole September 19, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Mmmm….oatmeal made with coconut milk …. I haven’t done it in a while but man is it yummy. And that cashew butter???!!!
I’ve only had Thai food once and it was Pad Thai. It was pretty good but really greasy. If you have any suggestions of what I should try I’m up for it ;)
Oh and Sylvia–good call on those baby leg warmers!! So stinkin’ cute!!!

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Nicole,
Pad Thai is one of my favorite Thai dishes, or anything involving peanut sauce. I think you need to try a better Thai restaurant!

Baking Serendipity September 19, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Pistachio butter? I love it! This breakfast looks seriously amazing. Definitely something worth crawling out of bed for :)

Meghan September 19, 2010 at 6:11 pm

I am scared to try Thai food because of the spicy factor (I cannot handle anything even remotely hot), but maybe if I tried things at home I could adjust somehow? I have heard it’s amazing and know a lot of people who love it.

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Meghan,
I’m not a spicy girl myself, and order all my dishes mild. They are never overly spiced. Perfect – definitely give Thai a try. :)

Natalia - a side of simple September 19, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Chicken Pad Thai for sure! I’m debating printing out your breakfast photos and framing them. Just a thought, haha.

HEAB September 19, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Natalia,
That’s hilarious. My brother keeps telling me I should put together a coffee table book, but I think half the stuff I eat looks like big bowls of mush. Happy to hear someone else appreciates them. Thank you. :)

Viviane September 19, 2010 at 7:12 pm

The baby outfits are so cute!! And love the little pink weeble-wobbles!

My favorite Thai dishes are the ever-popular pad thai (classic, but soooo good!) and green papaya salad (crunchy, refreshing and spicy!)

Desi @ The Palate Peacemaker September 19, 2010 at 7:17 pm

This. Is. Amazing. What a FANTASTIC combination of flavors! I wish I could try it! As far as my favorite Thai dish goes… I’d have to say pretty much ANY Thai curry.. Massaman curry with lamb and sweet potatoes, yellow curry with scallops and mango, green curry with seafood and green beans and bamboo shoots, red curry, panang curry… oh man, I could go on and on… Thai food is my favorite.

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 8:33 am

Desi,
Haha – yes, I can tell you love your Thai food. Definitely try the oatmeal if you get a chance. I have no doubts that you would enjoy. :)

holly September 19, 2010 at 7:36 pm

love it heabs. this totally reminds me of the year i spent in thailand with all that coconut milk and citrus and spiciness up in hurre!

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 8:31 am

Holly,
Jealous. I dream of going to Thailand someday and being surrounded by fresh coconuts! :)

Megan (Braise The Roof) September 19, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Such sweet presents! The leg warmers are too funny! Wow- Thai cravings? The HEAblet sure has a sophisticated palette. ;)

carlee September 19, 2010 at 9:55 pm

yum!! I’ve never heard of pistachio butter? where do you get it?

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 8:30 am

Carlee,
You make it. I’ve never seen pistachio butter for sale either. Here is my recipe for homemade nut butter: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/homemade-nut-butter

carlee September 21, 2010 at 5:15 pm

alright! i need to get a food processor it sounds like!
but sounds good.

Annie@stronghealthyfit September 19, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Oh my goodness baby leg warmers?? Cutest thing ever.

sarah @ bikingNbaking September 19, 2010 at 10:41 pm

That pistachio butter sounds gooood. This oatmeal recipe sounds great. A lemongrass-ginger broth to boil the oatmeal with the coconut milk would be delicious. Cant wait to try it out!

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 8:29 am

Sarah,
Yes, it would. I need to get my hands on some lemongrass!

Fran September 19, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Hi Heather!

A little while ago you posted that you’re looking at a lazboy recliner for your nursery. I’m 2.5 weeks from my due date and haven’t settled on a glider. I keep hearing that lazboy is the way to go, but online they all look so huge and not that pretty :) Which one are you looking at?

Thanks!
Fran

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 8:28 am

Fran,
I bought this one, and I LOVE IT! http://www.la-z-boy.com/Product/5516/. I went and sat in all of the them at the store, and kept going back to the Maverick. Chair of my dreams! I didn’t want to get out of it – it’s so comfy, rocks when you want it to, and reclines very easily. Plus the arms are nice and cushioned which I was told is key when nursing. Also, it’s wide enough to sit in with a nursing pillow. The chair was actually on sale, but still a bit pricey. However, I figure it will last a long time, and when we’re doing using it in the nursery, we can put it in the living room. They didn’t have the color I wanted (chocolate brown) in the showroom, and so I had to order it, and it will take 6 to 8 weeks to get here. So, if you are thinking La-Z-Boy, I would go ASAP, and try to choose one they already have available on the floor. Congrats and best of luck to you. So exciting! :)

Alisa September 19, 2010 at 11:17 pm

I love Thai food and that soup is one I have been dying to create at home. I tried it for the first time just a couple of years ago and it was love at first taste.

Those gifts are so adorable!

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 11:14 am

Alisa,
Another commenter told me that Thai Kitchen makes a Tom Ka Gai seasoning packet, and all you have to do is add coconut milk, veggies, and chicken. Sounds easy, and I want to try and find some soon.

Alisa September 20, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Very cool. If you do locate it, please blog about it as I would like to know if it is good! I suppose I should have known about that product :)

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Alisa,
Will do.

Nikki September 20, 2010 at 9:08 am

That is so awesome that so many people are sending you such great packages for the HEABlet. In this day and age, it is refreshing to see acts like that. Go blog world! :)

Pad Thai is my favorite, though I admit I haven’t tried a ton of other dishes because I love Pad Thai so much.

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 11:12 am

Nikki,
Nothing wrong with loving on some Pad Thai – good stuff, and yes, the blogosphere is amazing. One of the most rewarding thing about my blogging experience is the friendships I’ve made with other bloggers and readers. :)

Alyssa September 20, 2010 at 9:27 am

I’m a sucker for curry :-) Used to be Panang, but now I find it to be too sweet. I stick to red/green now…so good!

Had Indian curry last night and it made me want Thai as well!!

Lauren @ 40Apples September 20, 2010 at 10:15 am

Favorite Thai dish: ANYTHING with spicy peanut sauce. I guess I should just say “spicy peanut sauce” then.. and accept that my favorite dish is actually a condiment ;)

All the packages are so sweet! The HEABlet is so blog-loved :)

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 11:08 am

Lauren,
I could drink peanut sauce…trust me, I get it. :)

Shauna September 20, 2010 at 11:22 am

Thai food is my *favorite*. Love their spring rolls that are fresh instead of fried, chicken laab, and coconut sticky rice with mango would be my “last meal” dessert of choice. And the coconut soup, of course. I have a great recipe for it if you need one.

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Shauna,
I love steamed spring rolls, and I would also love your recipe for coconut soup as I want to make more soup this winter. Easy dish to freeze and reheat! :)

Stacy September 20, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Chicken Pad Thai, everytime! :) So delicious! I prefer Thai food anyday over Chinese. Way less salty and the chicken isn’t fried.

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Stacy,
Agreed. :)

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun September 21, 2010 at 6:12 am

Awww, the weeble-wobbles look so cute! :-) Everyone knows the HEABlet and she wasn’t even born yet! I bet it will be cool showing her all this when she gets older! :-)

HEAB September 21, 2010 at 8:45 am

Erika,
Yeah, I’ve thought about that. The blog has kind of been like an online journal for me throughout my pregnancy. I often wonder if the HEABlet will go back and read it someday. :)