Blue Bread

by HEAB on September 20, 2010

Good morning. Yoga class starts in 4 minutes…don’t think I’m going to make it. Oh well, it’s a lovely day for walk, and I’m hoping to hit my favorite trail later this afternoon…fueled on cornbread! Yes, I made another batch, and many thanks to Polly for sharing her recipe with me. Polly, it’s wonderful.

I followed Polly’s instructions, using blue cornmeal, HEABified coconut milk instead of almond milk, and I cut the honey in half since I only had about 2 TBSP left in the jar. Mmmm, I love it – the bread is the perfect consistency, not too crumbly. I can’t stop eating it!

First I ate some yesterday with my favorite massaged salad (spinach was on sale – yay!) and topped it with Sylvia’s chili-limon pistachio nut butter. Sylvia, I also threw a few of your sun-dried tomatoes atop my salad. Amazing – you should sell them!

After dinner, I ate more cornbread, warmed and served with HEABified coconut milk, and a spoonful of Naturally Nutty cinnamon cashew butter.

Looks kind of boring, but tasted oh so good!

This morning’s breakfast…

Not only can I not get enough of Polly’s cornbread, but I am still obsessed with the avocado + jam combo. So, I decided to combine them. Pictured above are 2 pieces of warm cornbread topped with 1/4 mashed avocado and a big dollop of strawberry preserves.

Polly’s recipe for cornbread is so easy and definitely my new favorite. I highly recommend giving it a try. The blue cornmeal worked beautifully, but yellow cornmeal will work just as well.

What’s your favorite recipe that you can’t get enough of lately?

Some exciting news to share with you this Monday morning…

1) Need a few tips on how to eat from my favorite bowl, aka the waning nut butter jar? Then please click here to read my guest post over at Zesty Cook, part 14 of Zesty’s Help The Students Event, a monthlong blog post series written with college students in mind and featuring simple straight forward recipes with easy to find ingredients. The series also includes tips, tricks, shopping ideas, economical ideas, and special guest posts from fantastic food bloggers. Be sure to check it out!

2) For all my local readers, if you’re interested in learning more about blogging or hoping to start a blog of your own, then please join my tech-savvy brother tomorrow, Tuesday, September 21st at 5:30 PM for the next Nashville 2.0 event, WordPress – All You Need to Know to Set Up a Blog or Website. The event is free and you can click here to RSVP. Trust me, my brother knows his stuff! :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 20, 2010 at 10:54 am

Avocado and jam??? That sounds very odd but I kind of want to try it, lol. That blue cornbread looks amazing!!! I can never make it because I would be snacking on it all the time! Love cornbread :D

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Liz,
Try it. So good!

Jessica @ How Sweet September 20, 2010 at 10:58 am

I am obsessed with any form of quesadilla right now, but especially ones with beans, apples and cheese in them!

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Jessica,
Beans, apples, and cheese together? Hmm, interesting. I’ll have to remember that one.

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 20, 2010 at 10:58 am

hey, sometimes a walk is way more relaxing than yoga…enjoy that walk girl!

melissa @ the delicate place September 20, 2010 at 10:59 am

my current obsession is spaghetti squash with tons of nooch and EVOO and fresh oregano. oh..also flax porridge and golden flax pancakes with kabocha. i’m a bit obsessed. the last couple weeks i havent’ felt like eating meat at all (even though i did a bit -mostly because i share dinners with my husband). where is my inner carnivore?

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Melissa,
It’s getting to be fall, and perhaps your inner carnivore is going into hibernation. Bring on the kabocha! ;)

Marisa @ Loser for Life September 20, 2010 at 11:03 am

I’m still craving cornbread!!! Thanks for sharing Polly’s recipe.

I can’t get enough of roasted veggies. I ate them all week!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 20, 2010 at 11:05 am

It’s not an exciting answer…but, like 99% of the rest of the blog world, I’ve been super excited about pumpkin and apples lately :-)

Love the look of that cornbread!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 20, 2010 at 11:09 am

I’m checking out that cornbread recipe right now, sounds delicious! It would have gone great with my chili over the weekend :)

I would have loved to attend your brother’s seminar — hopefully he has a good turnout!

Mama Pea September 20, 2010 at 11:13 am

Plus if your bread gets moldy, you’ll never know. Not that it’ll last that long :)

That Polly is something! Enjoy your walk!

Maya September 20, 2010 at 11:14 am

A college student guide to food?! Exactly the kind of thing I like to hear. I wish I could make cornbread right now, you’re giving me a serious craving! Warmed up with coconut milk and nut butter sounds like such a great way to enjoy the bread.

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Maya,
It was. Maybe you can make some cornbread when you go home for the holidays? I hope so!

polly September 20, 2010 at 11:15 am

LURVE YOU!

So glad you loved the c-bread. :P mmm.

Right now I am loving… these huge peaches I’ve found. Just like biting into a hunk of juicy heaven I tell ya. Love them.

and apples.

and cornbread. Goign to HEABify and buy some blue cornmeal!!! :D

XOXO

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) September 20, 2010 at 11:26 am

Ahh I still need to try ‘cado & jam. LOVE the looks of that blue cornbread!!

xo
Kris

Evan Thomas September 20, 2010 at 11:31 am

The recipe I couldn’t get enough of was my chocolate chip dessert hummus, which was awful because the beans were not sitting well with me recently.
I’ve been thinking of trying homemade coconut butter, but I’m worried that it might tax my food processor too much. Any tips?

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Evan,
First off, make sure you use finely shredded coconut. I buy mine from the bulk bins at Whole Foods. If you read through the comments on my coconut butter recipe page, there are several helpful tips as well: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/coconut-butter/. Good luck, and please let me know how it goes if you try it…I bet it would be amazing with chocolate chips! ;)

Christin L. September 20, 2010 at 11:34 am

Haven’t done the avocado/jam combo yet, but I did make a sandwich the other day out of avocado, turkey, and pumpkin butter that was DIVINE!

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Christin L.
Yeah, that definitely sounds divine. :)

Katie September 20, 2010 at 11:42 am

I have been eating that kale butter nonstop, but it is gone now. Sad.

Bluecorn anything is better than yellow, in my opinion. Just because it’s blue, and how often do you get to eat something that is blue AND real food?

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 20, 2010 at 11:50 am

Fave recipe that I cant get enough of? Oh that would be really hot sweet coffee LOL. I dunno, I am such a creature of habit, I dont even want to blog about my food anymore! Who cares that I just ate a half a pound of kale with homemade vegan slaw dressing and threw in a bunch of odds and ends veggies with it. I mean I bore myself :) but I LOVE my fresh veggies, raw, clean, fresh, pure. That’s what I love but it’s not really too “earth shattering”

As for yoga starting in 4 mins…I am kinda in that jam every single day w/ my gym. Kids club closes at 12 noon and so the mornings are always a huge scramble to make sure we get there, checked in, etc before it’s all over and done. Noon sounds late, til you have a kid. And everything takes twice as long to just even get OUT of the house…

Danielle (Runs on Green) September 20, 2010 at 11:54 am

You’re making me want to bake some cornbread! I don’t think I’ve ever tried blue cornmeal (unless you count blue tortilla chips…) Does it taste any different??

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Danielle,
First off, blue tortilla chips totally count. :) And secondly, no I don’t think the blue cornmeal tastes any different, but it’s definitely much more fun! :)

Michelle (@ Housewife in the Raw) September 20, 2010 at 12:04 pm

I can’t seem to get enough peanut butter these days. I put it in my smoothies, my banana soft serve, make peanut noodles and mix it into my fudge babies. Now I’m craving it again…..

Namaste Gurl September 20, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Blue corn now? I finally found my long, lost yellow corn flour– and I do LOVE blue corn, it’s just so much better for you (ahem, color)…however after all that I think I’ll just stick to making another batch of cornbread with my new found yellow corn flour.

Where can you buy blue corn flour– is it Bob’s Red Mill? I’ve never seen it around Whole Foods…then again, I may just have to look in my pantry ;)

P.S, made the pepusas this morning…just used Serena’s recipe + my mom’s tortilla flatener, they were oh-so-good. Definitely think you should make more of those!

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Namaste,
I’ve never seen blue cornmeal for sale either. A friend sent it to me from Arizona. It tastes like the yellow stuff, but it’s so much more fun to eat blue bread, and yes, I totally need to make more papusas! So easy and so tasty. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple September 20, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Hey, I really enjoyed reading your grocery update. Great tips, ones I’ve been using myself for years. I especially like your Costco tips. You can save money there, but you have to be careful. Alas, my Costco does not carry almond butter.

I like your last tip of sending CD to the store. I usually stick to my list, but I make a very long list, and that’s the unfortunate part. I’m trying to take a page from Broke Foodie (who shops every 3 months) by only shopping every two weeks. Two problems: milk (for my four year old) and fruit (we eat a lot of it).

So, I’m thinking that on the alternate weeks to the main shopping weeks, I will just send my hubby. If I send him for milk, he will come home with just milk. I’ll come home with chickpeas and rice and goat cheese, even if I already have feta, blue, cheddar, mozzarella, and parm, not to mention quinoa, red beans, black beans, and pinto beans and lentils (red and brown). KWIM?

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Marcia,
Haha – we sound like very similar shoppers! However, I must say that goat cheese is a necessity no matter how many other cheeses you currently have in your fridge. ;) Shopping every 3 months? Oh my gosh, we eat way too much fresh produce to do that. We probably could manage once a month if we had a garden or something, but I need my fresh veggies every week!

Little Bookworm September 20, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Love the spinach salad – I had spinach as part of my lunch. Your cornbread looks really interesting (and blue). :)

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Little Bookworm,
I love the little photo that appears with your comments. So cute. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 20, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Blue corn bread sounds awesome! I don’t think I’ve ever seen blue corn meal, or maybe I have and overlooked its awesomeness.

I don’t think I have a favorite current recipe, per se. I have developed an obsession with salads, though. I want to make them sky high and loaded with as many yummy things as possible. I’m greedy with the greens, I tell ya!! :D

Jenn

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Jenn,
I’m a greedy greens eater as well. You should have seen how much spinach went into that massaged salad yesterday. CD’s eyes got huge as he watched me add handful after handful to the bowl. However, it shrinks so much after you massage it. P.S. I’ve never seen blue cornmeal for sale either. A friend actually sent it to me from Arizona. I love the color!

Felicia September 20, 2010 at 12:53 pm

yummmm! im sooo making this soon and adding corn kernels. i think i would love the avocado + jam mix!

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Felicia,
I know you would. Try it! :)

Claire C September 20, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Ok,I’m sold because I can’t take it anymore.hehe….gonna make me some cornbread:-)cc

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Claire C
’bout time. ;)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood September 20, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Can’t get enough of my tortilla wrap with ham and turkey inside along with some romaine lettuce, mmmm… Wanted to try it again with tahini thinned with water this time, just the idea is making me drool. And once again, your cornbread looks absolutely delicious. I want to gobble it up ;)

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Sylvia,
Where’s your lover Mr. Mustard in your wrap? I think he’d be great mixed with the tahini!

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood September 20, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Gasp* Omigod, you’re right! I left Mr. Mustard out! Now I’m gonna go home and make love to him with my tahini, LOL* ;)

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Thatta girl. ;)

Hands in Namaste September 20, 2010 at 1:20 pm

HEAB, I <3 Cornbread – and yours looks fabulous! I definitely have to try out that avocado/jam combo!!

I never thought to use blue cornmeal..does it taste different than yellow?

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Hands in Namaste,
No, not really. Tasted like regular cornbread to me…just a lot more colorful. ;)

Alyssa September 20, 2010 at 1:58 pm

That’s it…you’ve hooked me! I’m making the cornbread!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 20, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I haven’t seen gluten free blue cornmeal yet. I wonder if they make it? We ate an entire pan of cornbread in one sitting on Saturday. I wanted some to do the milk and preserve treat with. Oh well, guess I need to make a secret stash for me! Your eat look delicious! YUM! Lately, I can’t get enough of the peanut cookie waffles I have been making. They are too easy to make and too yummy! Have a great afternoon, I hope yoga was good!

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Sarena,
I assumed all cornmeal was gluten free. Is it not? :(

I need to make your peanut cookie waffles – gosh those sound heavenly!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 20, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Not necessarily if it is not kept separate. Unfortunately, for Tony, it has to be certified gluten free due to cross contamination of crops and processing…this is my life (and kitchen).

The cookie waffle is trouble! Too good!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 20, 2010 at 2:04 pm

I’ve been eating some of my high protein muffins/microwave cookies every night for at least a month. I usually make peanut butter banana sandwiches out of them- never gets old!

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Mary,
Yes, anything involving pb + banana never gets old. I agree! :)

eatmovelove September 20, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Pasta sauce never gets old…pasta sauce dumped on veggies? I’m there. Actually it can be dumped on anything…with cheese. I’ll stop now.

I didn’t realize you said it was Blue cornbread and couldn’t figure out why it wasn’t the same as when you made it before LOL!! Gosh – your review is definitely making me think I should try this now. What’s it taste like – a sweet or savory taste? Is it dense or chewy? :)

Also love your first opening – yoga in 4 minutes. I like that you go with the flow – I would be “beating” myself up for not getting out there, etc. but, meh, life is too short. And when you go, you go.

Ah – it seems the blogging business runs in the family!! Smart HEABer’s indeed!

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Eatmovelove,
Polly’s recipe is dense – a pretty hearty cornbread. It’s on the sweet side, but mine wasn’t too sweet since I cut the amount of honey in half. It’s the toppings that make cornbread.

eatmovelove September 20, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Yes, the toppings!

Hence, the pasta sauce ;)

Lola September 20, 2010 at 2:58 pm

I’m sold because I loveall things corn and all things jam! hehehe

nicole September 20, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Oh I love blue corn! And I love that her recipe is flourless. Guess what I’m making when I get home?? (would have been so perfect with the leftover chili I ate for lunch)
I’ve been eating oats/buckwheat with the egg mixed in…..holy cow when I first tried it it was like heaven in my mouth. Now I can’t get enough of it!!

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Nicole,
How could I forget about custard oats?!? Have not made any since Michigan…guess what I’m making when I get home? Well, I am home, and so I think I’ll make some now. ;) Enjoy your cornbread!

Heather September 20, 2010 at 3:17 pm

My fave recipe at THIS moment (I get on these little kicks/phases) is the one I found on livelaugheat.com for Avocado Banana Bread:

I’ve made them 3 times in the last week and a half and I keep changing things in the recipe every time! I’ve made muffins, reduced the sugar, tried different flours, and I made chocolate ones! They’re so easy to make and a great pick-me-up snack!

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Heather,
Thanks for the link! You know I love the naner/avo combo. Off to check it out right now. :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal September 20, 2010 at 3:54 pm

You weren’t joking – that cornbread has been fueling you! Sounds very yummy:)
I’m not too sure about the avocado + jam combo, but I’m willing to try it!! :D

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Paige,
I dare you…try it! ;)

Tracy September 20, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Yay! More avocado & jam!! :)

I must make some cornbread and try with my fave topping soon!

Megan (Braise The Roof) September 20, 2010 at 5:10 pm

You are so lucky to have a tech-saavy relative! Where do I pick one of those up?? :)

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Megan,
You can borrow my brother anytime. :)

MoniMeals September 20, 2010 at 5:15 pm

I think your readers covered it- I actually drew a blank! lol :) Maybe peanut butter and jalapeno??

VeggieGirl September 20, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Favorite recipe lately = ANY of yours!!!!!

HEAB September 20, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Minus any squishy baby food like salmon of course. ;)

gigi September 20, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Thats some funky lookin cornbread! I’ve never even heard of blue cornmeal. Right now I can’t get enough of your almond butter banana muffins crumbled into greek yogurt with melted nut butter on top :) heaven

HEAB September 21, 2010 at 9:07 am

Gigi,
If you’ve ever eaten blue tortilla chips, then you’ve had blue cornmeal. I love it, but it tastes the same as the yellow stuff. However, it’s much more fun to bake with as I love the color! So happy to hear you’re enjoying the almond butter banana nut muffins. Those are really good, and it’s been a while since I’ve made any. Thanks for reminding me. :)

Rachel September 20, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I’m obsessed with making and eating pumpkin bread right now! We just got pumpkin puree back in the grocery store last week and I have already made 4 loaves! I didn’t eat them all though. I made some for all my buddies.

HEAB September 21, 2010 at 9:16 am

Rachel,
So glad pumpkin is back!

rebecca lustig September 20, 2010 at 7:19 pm

i made a cajun corn and edamame saute that was just so delicious. i’ve been eating it (in moderation of course) for the past three days.

have a great night!
bec xo

Emily September 20, 2010 at 7:21 pm

I have been really enjoying butternut squash with quinoa, veggies and apples and then every morning I HAVE to have “marathon mudpies” (like a V.O.O. but with raw cacao, nut butter, mashed banana & avocado, all soaked in greek yogurt & milk overnight, then turned into a parfait in the morning). Yum. Like chocolate pudding.

HEAB September 21, 2010 at 9:05 am

Emily,
Goodness gracious…you make me want to go out and buy some Greek yogurt right now! I must make your parfait soon. I was recently given a yogurt maker, and I want to experiment with homemade coconut milk yogurt…I think you’ve just inspired me to start yogurting. ;)

Emily September 22, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Oh my, homemade coconut yogurt??? I can’t wait for that recipe! Here is the mudpie recipe along with a picture of the parfait – http://www.food.com/recipe/marathon-mud-pie-437031.

Mimi (Gingersnaps) September 20, 2010 at 7:49 pm

You inspired me to buy an avocado at the store! I’ll have to try this jam combo–it looks so good! Maggie showed me the brilliance of avocado drizzled in a bit of honey, so I know it’s definitely a sweet item too!

HEAB September 21, 2010 at 9:01 am

Mimi,
Enjoy your avo smothered in jam. I think you’ll love it! :)

Maren September 20, 2010 at 8:07 pm

I made buttermilk biscuits a week ago and literally ate three a day, and hid the entire batch in the back of our Tupperware cupboard.

HEAB September 21, 2010 at 8:58 am

Maren,
So something I would do – I often hide things from CD or else I won’t get any! :)

Laura September 20, 2010 at 9:04 pm

I have a question for you, but I don’t want it to come across as if I’m attacking you. I just truly admire how you embrace fats in your diet. I, too, feel best when I have a “generous” amount of fat in my daily diet. However, most of mine come from nuts and seeds. I know you said that you feel better when you are eating a high fat diet, but do you ever worry about the amount of saturated fat you’re ingesting in terms of long term effects on your body? IE heart disease?

Just something I’m curious about!

HEAB September 21, 2010 at 8:57 am

Laura,
Nope, from the reading and research I’ve done, saturated fat does not cause heart disease. Here are some articles you might find interesting:

Sometimes, it’s important to question conventional wisdom…I mean, look where its gotten the country today.

P.S. I in no way felt attacked by your question – I get it often. :)

clare September 20, 2010 at 10:16 pm

avocado + chocolate

and

autumn oats (apples and squash and stuff like that!)

Alisa September 21, 2010 at 12:10 am

Wait, so did you use blue cornmeal to make that cornbread? I actually have some blue cornmeal in the cupboard that is dying to be used up!

HEAB September 21, 2010 at 8:46 am

Alisa, I did. It’s so yummy and colorful. Love it! :)

Emily September 21, 2010 at 2:43 am

The cornbread looks amazing, Heather. I love that avocado-jam combo. How could that not be good?

HEAB September 21, 2010 at 8:46 am

Emily.
Impossible. It’s delicious – no doubt about it! :)

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun September 21, 2010 at 6:08 am

Ooh! Blue cornbread looks so cool! ;-) Avocado and Jam? Never would have thought of that combo but it seems to work!

Mallory September 21, 2010 at 9:41 am

current recipe addictiion…

coconut pumpkin bread OMG… i ‘accidentally’ sorta ate half the pan on sunday hahaha….amazing with meltd butter, coconut butter, almond butter, warmed with coconut milk… yikes lol

ps- i think the trail will be more fun than yoga!

Aubrey September 22, 2010 at 8:37 am

Hello!
I noticed you were into cornbread lately. I just posted the recipe to the very first dish i ever created when i was 12!

Maybe you can try it out or make it your own with the blue corn bread!

Here’s the link: