A Muddy Breakfast

by HEAB on September 24, 2010

Good afternoon. Hope everyone is enjoying their Friday thus far. Mine has been HOT. Nashville was absolutely steaming this week, and I am so over the heat! Thankfully, a cool front is moving through this weekend, and I cannot wait. I took the pups for a long walk this morning, and they got so hot that Radley ended up in one of the fountains of a local college campus. She refused to get out and just laid down on her belly. I was mortified. Oh well, gave the students a few good laughs. :)

CD and I are having friends over for dinner tonight, and I just finished making the pie filling. It’s a coconut chocolate cream pie – vegan and gluten free. If it turns out okay, I’ll be sure to share the recipe. Also on tonight’s menu is CD’s Almond Butter chili and perhaps some cornbread. I can’t wait.

Breakfast was something new…

I followed reader Emily’s recipe for a Marathon Mudpie Parfait but substituted pumpkin for the yogurt, peanut flour for the peanut butter, and I topped it off with Artisana’s Cacao Bliss. I always forget how good the Cacao Bliss is! Sadly, we can’t get it here in Nashville, and so once our sample jar runs out, I’m going to have to experiment with making my own. Anyway, back to the parfait…succulent. ;) Thanks for sharing Emily! I will definitely be making this recipe again as it kept me full for hours.

Time to vacuum. What are your favorite parfait ingredients?

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks September 24, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Your parfait looks tasty and healthful! I usually go for a tried and true favorite — yogurt with berries and granola on top.

Heather (Faces of Beauty) September 24, 2010 at 1:21 pm

um, holy yum! what a great color palate too…since i know that’s what you were going for ;)

HEAB September 24, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Heather,
Was totally going for some fall colors to try and combat this heat. Usually my breakfasts are boring bowls of white mush. I thought the chocolate brown and orange were a nice touch. :)

Jessica @ How Sweet September 24, 2010 at 1:23 pm

That parfait looks like pure heaven.

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 24, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Your parfait looks delicious!! I usually use greek yogurt, crush up graham crackers, and add berries.

That’s cute about your pup :)

HEAB September 24, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Chelsea,
I had a love affair with TJ’s cinnamon grahams early on in my pregnancy…I think I need to bring them back! :)

VeggieGirl September 24, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Delish parfait there! I love parfaits with Greek yogurt, walnuts, and chocolate ;)

Hands in Namaste September 24, 2010 at 1:30 pm

My fav parfait ingredients definitely involve crunchy granola, pb, and berries. And some whole milk yogurt :-)

Carolyn September 24, 2010 at 1:33 pm

That parfait looks great! I’m a new reader. I lived in Nashvile for 5 years before moving back to Louisville to be closer to my family. I love, love, loved it there. I miss Nashville a lot. I’m looking forward to following your blog!

HEAB September 24, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Carolyn,
Glad you found me and thanks for reading. I love Nashville as well, but I hear great things about Louisville too. :)

Kristina @ spabettie September 24, 2010 at 1:40 pm

cute pup cooling off in the fountain!! :) sounds like something Basil would do!

your parfait looks pretty! I love cacao bliss.. and yes, I bet you can make a cacao blissER ! :)

Erica September 24, 2010 at 1:41 pm

hahahha…I can only walk Frank very short distances or he overheats, so I can relate! Um- your dinner party sounds jamming. Your guests are in for some delicious eats. That is a very pretty parfait. I LOVE my usual- yogurt, blueberries, almonds, banana & granola. Heavenly

HEAB September 24, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Erica,
I always think of you whenever I eat parfaits because I know you always get them at the cute little breakfast place you guys go to in Charleston. :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 24, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Ooh that looks so good! I like making oatmeal parfaits: oatmeal, sliced banana, some drizzled PB and walnuts. Nothing too special!

I love the name of your post because my sisters and I call our Mom “Muddy” instead of “Mom”. I don’t really know why, but it stuck :)

HEAB September 24, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Holly,
Ha – that’s funny. I once called my mom “poop face” and that didn’t go over too well. “Muddy” probably would have been a better choice. ;)

glidingcalm September 24, 2010 at 1:44 pm

mmm i could go for a parfait right now!!!

send some of your heat this way!! ill take it!!

HEAB September 24, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Gliding Calm,
You can have it! So ready for fall!!!

melissa @ the delicate place September 24, 2010 at 1:44 pm

*drool* my perfect parfait must include vanilla, dark chocolate, almonds or flaked coconut

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood September 24, 2010 at 1:46 pm

My male guinea pig wanted to fight my boyfriend because he was yelling at me. He stood up on his litterbox and grilled at my boyfriend. The next time he was in his lap, he laid a nice poop+pee combo on his jeans. My boyfriend screamed. Guinea pig was happy. I laughed. And then I helped him clean up. ;)

Our pets always do something weird, but we love them anyway.

Your parfait looks good. Say, if you EVERR come to New York City… think you can cook me dinner? ;) <3

HEAB September 24, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Sylvia,
Of course I’ll cook you dinner as long as you make the sun dried tomatoes! That’s one clever guinea pig you’ve got. :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood September 24, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Hahaha, I said the same exact thing about the piggie being smart. My boyfriend didn’t seem to agree with me, lolll.

So, how goes the supply of sun-dried tomatoes and chili-limon pistachio butter? I thought I had made more than enough of the sun-dried tomatoes but then when I filled it into the big jar and it didn’t even touch halfway, I was like, “Uh-oh…” Lols. So I switched to the smaller one :)

Lauren at KeepItSweet September 24, 2010 at 1:47 pm

yum! i love everything parfait style:-)

Bekah September 24, 2010 at 1:53 pm

2 percent greek yogurt with homemade granola and nectarines or peaches has been my summer time favorite breakfast parfait. I realized nectarine was my favorite fruit when I tasted a perfect one from the hudson valley summer. YUM.

HEAB September 24, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Beeks,
Your homemade granola would make any parfait perfect. :)

Marina September 24, 2010 at 2:04 pm

bananas, thick yogurt, peanut butter, pumpkin puree and some crunchy granola. hm. thanks for reminding me how good parfaits are :D

HEAB September 24, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Marina,
You’re welcome. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 24, 2010 at 2:18 pm

This will probably be the last time you vacuum for about a year :) You dont want to wake a sleeping baby and when she is awake, the LAST thing on your mind will be the cleanliness level of the carpet :)

I am so wanting to get a slow cooker/crockpot or rice cooker…b/c things like chili sound so good in it. But it’s like 80F+ here…not really chili weather! we are having a hot snap (no complaints!) but as a preggie lady, I can imagine you’re gonna be enjoying the cool front!

Have a super weekend, Heather!

HEAB September 24, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Averie,
You will not believe this, but my MIL gifted us with a year of housekeeping every 2 weeks. It was my shower gift for the mama-to-be. How sad is it that that was my favorite gift…even more so than than anything meant for the HEABlet. Hehe. ;) Yeah, so I hope to handover the vacuuming duties to someone else…b/c we all know CD isn’t going to do it. Haha, I don’t even think he knows where I keep the vacuum cleaner.

Lindsay McAlester September 24, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I made homemade cornbread from scratch this week and I used a little coconut flour in the mix. It made the best cornbread! I know you are on a cornbread kick, so I will share if you want! :) Oh! I tried it with avocado and apricot preserves. YUM-O! :)

HEAB September 24, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Lindsay,
Um yes…please share the recipe. I am in need of more coconut flour anyway. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 24, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I would have to say caramel! That looks delicious! I am so ready for cooler weather too! I am tired of sweating the second I walk outside! Have a great weekend Heather!

jennifer September 24, 2010 at 2:23 pm

REALLY hoping your dessert tastes…fabulous – that way you have to share the recipe!! My husband always asks for pie for his birthday and the two that are most requested? chocolate cream and coconut cream…but I haven’t made either in years, as I’m dairy free and neither of us wants him to be the only one to eat the whole pie!!!! LOL One that we could both enjoy would be greatly appreciated! :)

Guess I need to work on adding some parfaits to my meal planning…don’t really have any to add to the “what are your favorites” topic.

HEAB September 24, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Jennifer,
Haven’t tried the pie yet, but I based mine off this recipe: http://www.elanaspantry.com/chocolate-cream-pie/

However, I did taste the chocolate filling, and it was delicious!

Andrea (@ Puppy Dog Tales) September 24, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Yum…did you add anything to the pumpkin or eat is by itself? Vanilla pudding mixed with pumpkin and maybe some brown sugar would be awesome in this!

HEAB September 24, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Andrea,
I didn’t add anything to the pumpkin – the chocolate mud layer and bananas added enough sweet love. :)

Claire C September 24, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Hahaha..I would have loved to have seen pix of Radley in the fountain.How cute!Btw…When will dinner be ready?hehe…just kidding.You do have a winner with the chili and cornbread combo:-)cc

HEAB September 24, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Claire C,
Dinner is at 7 PM. About to put the cornbread in the oven. :)

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat September 24, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I feel you on the heat! It got up in the 90′s here in June and hardly left. It’s literally about to rain here and it should be cooling off starting tonight. I’m usually a warm weather gal but I’ve had my fill of Summer ;-)

I hope the pie turns out, I would love to have that recipe! Hope you have a fun Friday with your friends :)

I think my favorite parfait ingredients are berries and granola.

HEAB September 24, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Sarah,
Haven’t tried pie yet, but I used this recipe for inspiration: http://www.elanaspantry.com/chocolate-cream-pie/. Can’t wait to try it!

LizLivingVegan September 24, 2010 at 2:44 pm

That looks so good! I’m FINALLY able to find canned pumpkin at the grocery store, so I might have to try this tonight!!

VEGirl September 24, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Ohh… I can’t wait for the coconut cream pie! I’ve been a lurker (not the creepy kind) for a while– I think this is my first comment. I love how creative you are with your food!

As for cacao bliss, CCK has a chocolate butter that is inexpensive (compared to cacao bliss, anyway): http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2010/05/20/homemade-artisana-cacao-bliss/

I tried her chocolate butter before I got some free samples from Artisana and tried cacao bliss (which came yesterday! EEK! lovin’ it!). I think the chocolate butter it so good, even compared with the cacao bliss!

Cheers!
VEGirl

HEAB September 24, 2010 at 5:36 pm

VEGirl,
Thanks for lurking. :) Haven’t tried the pie yet, but I based it on this recipe: http://www.elanaspantry.com/chocolate-cream-pie/. Can’t wait to try it, and thanks for the reminder about Katie’s chocolate butter. I remember that post! :)

Meg September 24, 2010 at 3:36 pm

That could easily become a fave parfait of mine ;)

That’s too cute about pup in the fountain – it’s SO hot here too ! I cannot believe it’s almost October!

Namaste Gurl September 24, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Looks yummy, another recipe I’m bookmarking :)

I’m heading to TJs today or tomorrow so I’m def. about to get my hands on that newly-popular peanut flour!

HEAB September 24, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Namaste Gurl,
I think you will love the peanut flour.

Katie September 24, 2010 at 3:59 pm

I’ve never actually made a parfait and the only one I’ve ever eaten is the peanut buster parfait from DQ – always a favorite.

HEAB September 24, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Yes Katie, one can never go wrong with the PB Parfait from DQ. :)

A Teenage Gourmet September 24, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Seriously? The last time I was in Nashville, my Dad and I ate at Fido’s instead of rushing to Las Paletas before it closed. Haha, that is too funny. Sunday night it is!

HEAB September 24, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Sami,
Great – can’t wait to meet you! :) Email me sometime this week, and we’ll make plans. :)

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 24, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Mmm your dinner menu sounds delicious! Chili and cornbread are both so comforting.

As far as parfaits go, I remember eating ONE parfait during my lifetime. It was from Foster’s Freeze (a Dairy Queen-esque ice cream chain in California), and it contained soft serve vanilla ice cream, caramel, chocolate, and gobs of other goodies. I doubt a homemade parfait could compare to that memory!

HEAB September 24, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Caitlin,
Yeah, I would have agree. Doesn’t sound like much could compare to Foster’s Freeze. :)

Lea @ Healthy Coconut September 24, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Oh Heather…you had me at “coconut chocolate cream pie”. I’m making dessert this weekend for a family party too. I can’t wait for the recipe

HEAB September 24, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Lea,
I based my pie off this recipe: http://www.elanaspantry.com/chocolate-cream-pie/. Haven’t tried the pie yet, but the chocolate filling was delicious!

BroccoliHut September 24, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Lovely parfait! My favorite ingredients are pumpkin, almond butter, blueberries, and muffins.

Maren September 24, 2010 at 4:55 pm

My does that look succulent! :) Lovin all the new adjectives!

S @ extremebalance.net/blog September 24, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Hm. I don’t typically go for parfaits, but as long as there’s chocolate, I suppose I’m good. :)

eatmovelove September 24, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Oh my gosh! Love it. I love granola, oats, yogurt, berries, maple syrup…and chocolate-chips ;) …but PUMPKIN! YES – genius :) It will be happening.

Laura September 24, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Errr, okay, that breakfast parfait looks to die for!!!!!! Maple syrup HAS to be a feature in any parfait of mine! xx

Moni'sMeals September 24, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Amazing! Now that is a parfait-I love how now your meals are matching with colors to the seasons.;)
Happy weekend!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) September 24, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I’ll give you my wet-dream parfait, not the one I’d actually make:

*bananas
*31 flavors peanut butter and chocolate ice cream
*4 tablespoons of peanut butter
* more ice cream- perhaps Chocolate Chip cookie dough
* a crumbled KIND bar
*Cool Whip
*pretzels
*a cherry on top.

There, and instead of 12,000 calories I’d make a 0% greek yogurt with berries and perhaps some nut butter or a sprinkle of peanut butter or chocolate cereal :-)

A girl can dream, can’t she? :-)

Hugs!

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 8:41 am

Deb,
I think I just developed gestational diabetes reading about your dream parfait. Love you. :)

Emily September 24, 2010 at 8:38 pm

I’m so excited that you liked the Marathon Mudpie Parfait! I’ll definitely have to try it with pumpkin, and I love the idea of using peanut flour. That would mix in so much easier with the cacao. It great to have found other people that appreciate crazy, no sugar recipes like that one. :) I agree that the banana makes it sweet enough. Sometimes I’ll mash in a bit of avocado too.

You’re right about it keeping you full! I used to have to eat like 3-4 breakfasts over the course of the morning (that’s when I thought eating fat was bad) and now I’ll just have that and it keeps me satisfied! Yay for eating healthy fats like chia seeds and nut butters!

Emily September 24, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I tried your “oats in a jar” today because I finally got to the bottom of my sunflower seed butter and oh my goodness it was delicious! It reminds me of when I was a little girl and I would make brownies and I would take a spoon and scrape out the last little bit of brownie batter left in the bowl. For some reason scraping it off the sides is just SO much better! I never thought I would look forward to running out of my nut butters, but I can’t wait to get to the bottom of the next jar now!

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 8:39 am

Emily,
Thanks again for sharing the parfait recipe with me. I loved it, and yes, getting to the end of the nut butter jar is definitely something to look forward to! :)

Emily September 24, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Got a good laugh out of your dog lounging in the college fountain :) The parfait looks amazing, such a refreshing blogger breakfast!

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 8:38 am

Emily,
Yeah, CD did too. Next time I’ll bring my camera. :)

Heather September 24, 2010 at 9:25 pm

That looks amazing! I’ll have to give it a try! Most of my parfaits are the standard yogurt, berries, and granola, but lately I have been switching it up with shredded unsweetened coconut, chia seeds, and/or a couple of crushed gingersnap cookies! Yum!

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 8:37 am

Heather,
Oooh, gingersnap cookies – good call! :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit September 24, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Pudding and homemade whipped cream! I wouldn’t eat that for breakfast though ;-)

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 8:37 am

Annie,
Why not? I would. :)

Little Bookworm September 25, 2010 at 3:59 am

Chocolate cream pie sounds amazing. Hope you had a lovely evening! :)

Virginia @ YtotheUmmy September 25, 2010 at 6:26 am

uhm, GRANOLAAAA :D

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com September 25, 2010 at 8:50 am

i love all the different layering going on. each bite is a new and different taste experience ;) <3

Lindsey F. September 25, 2010 at 4:44 pm

I just made your version of this parfait in my waning peanut butter jar (I wonder where I got that idea? ;) ) and it was DELICIOUS. I mixed in pumpkin pie spice with my pumpkin, and it smelled fantastic. Thanks for sharing this!

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Lindsey,
You’re so welcome, and good idea on adding pumpkin pie spice. I’ve got to remember that for next time! :)

amber at berlinswhimsy September 25, 2010 at 9:34 pm

It’s been hot like crazy here, too—- I’m ready for fall!

I doubt it would be that difficult to reproduce the cocoa bliss. I checked the ingredients and it looks doable. I’ve never tried it so I don’t have anywhere to go from. I’d love to see what you come up with! :-)

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Amber,
Only one serving left of Cacao Bliss, and so I’ll definitely be experimenting soon! :)

Dana September 26, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Heather! Fantastic blog. This is actually my first time stopping by. I’m sad that I had failed to find it earlier. Great recipes – so creative and healthy. Looking forward to following in the future.

My favorite parfait ingredients as a child were: chocolate soft serve, oreo crumbles, gummy worms, and more chocolate soft serve. But NOW, my faves are light vanilla yogurt or pudding, strawberries, graham cracker crumbles, whipped cream and cinnamon.

HEAB September 26, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Dana,
Glad you found me…better late than never, right? Thanks so much for reading…and note to self: buy graham crackers! ;)

{ 1 trackback }