Pie Was A Hit!

by HEAB on September 25, 2010

Last night, we had our friends Mark and Erin over for dinner. Without Mark, CD and I would not be together. He is a mutual friend, and I used to use gatherings at his house as a way to stalk my future husband. Hehe. Mark and Erin were married this past year, and we love them both.

IMG_6056.JPG IMG_6057.JPG

On the menu last night was CD’s Almond Butter Chili with pumpkin cornbread

CD used Naturally Nutty Cinnamon Cashew butter instead of almond butter, and it made a huge difference in the taste of the chili. You could really taste the cinnamon, and we all agreed it was wonderful. Taking a cue from Lil Runner, I made Polly’s cornbread but subsituted 2 heaping spoonfuls of pumpkin for one of the eggs. Oh my goodness – it came out perfect, not too crumbly and with just the slightest hint of pumpkin. Good call Natalie! The whole dinner was so full of fall flavors. Yum! And then came dessert…

I’d say it was a hit…

I made a gluten-free vegan chocolate cream pie, and you can click here for the recipe. It was simple and delicious, and I will definitely be making this again!

I awoke at 5:30 AM this morning, and the HEABlet was kicking for some food. I couldn’t decide between pie or cornbread and ended up going with the latter…however, I’m sure the pie will be attacked later. :)

Pumpkin cornbread slathered in Artisana Cacao Bliss makes for a happy HEABlet :)

What do you like to serve your dinner guests?

eatmovelove September 25, 2010 at 7:21 am

Wow. That looks incredible. The HEABlet has definitely not slowed you down! I don’t cook for others here – place is too small :( – but usually when we go out elsewhere it’s a lasagna dish :) . I picked up some cornmeal the other day…could that be used in cornbread…?

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 8:34 am

Eatmovelove,
Yes – my favorite these days is Polly’s cornbread recipe. I linked to it in my post. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 25, 2010 at 7:29 am

Everything looks delicious! What a nice evening with friends. We normally cook our roasted pulled pork for friends with mashed potatoes and green beans. I also like to cook Thanksgiving dinner for people randomly throughout the year. It is always a surprise and since we normally only eat it once a year it also a treat! Have a great day Heather!

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 8:35 am

Sarena,
I love pulled pork. Next time I’m in Atlanta, I’ll be at your place around 6 PM. Sound good? I’ll bring the gluten and dairy free cornbread. :)

Carolyn September 25, 2010 at 7:37 am

Pie love it!!!

melissa @ the delicate place September 25, 2010 at 7:38 am

how did i know that pie was an elana recipe? haha i love her stuff! i usually keep it pretty tame for dinner guests but super fresh. i like to leave *options* for people instead for example: a goat cheese, beetroot & walnut salad-i may leave off the cheese/nuts and put them next to the bowl of greens/beet root in case someone has an allergy or just dislikes it. i want my guests to feel as little stress as possible and enjoy “playing” with their food as much as i do!

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 8:36 am

Melissa,
I love Elana as well. Her recipes never disappoint! You sound like a very thoughtful hostess…If I should ever dine at your house, please place the dish of goat cheese next to me. :)

Jessica @ How Sweet September 25, 2010 at 7:42 am

That pie looks incredible!!

Little Bookworm September 25, 2010 at 8:40 am

The pie looks amazing – thank you for posting the recipe! :)

Emily September 25, 2010 at 8:46 am

You guys are awesome hosts! Both dishes look wonderful, and I am for sure getting some cornmeal this week to make that cornbread :) Lately we’ve been making grill-pizza’s for our guests; its great because everyone gets their own and we can all partake in making the toppings and deciding how our pizza will be :) Lots of fun, and perfect with a bottle of wine and nice salad!

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Emily,
It’s like self serve pizza. What a great idea – I love it! :)

Emily September 25, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Emily,

I love this idea too! My mom used to do this (minus the grilling) for me and my friends when I had sleep overs as a little girl. We’d make smiley faces out of the pepperoni, etc. I never would have thought to do it for adults! What a great way to break the ice! I love it!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com September 25, 2010 at 8:49 am

gluten free too!!! NICE! omg chocolate cream pie is insane! the photos alone get my brain chemicals bubbling lol. ud have to be inhuman not to have enjoyed this!! <3

have a wonderful weekend :D

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Kelsey,
Make that pie…it’s so good and chocolatey! Trust me, one bite and your brain chemicals would go crazy. :)

Marina September 25, 2010 at 9:00 am

I can imagine how that cornbread tastes delicious, I have to check out the recipe.

Justine September 25, 2010 at 9:33 am

Whenever my family get’s together for something, I always make bread and dessert! I figure that I can’t go wrong with those two things, and I love being in the kitchen for a few hours. :)

Who would have thought in a million years that chocolate and corn would go together so well? :)

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Justine,
Chocolate and corn – ha! Put chocolate on anything, and I’ll eat it. :) And yes, you can never go wrong with bread and dessert – I bet you are everyone’s favorite at family gatherings. :)

Kayla September 25, 2010 at 9:47 am

Yum!! everything looks delicious! I will definitely have to bookmark that pie recipe.
For dinner.. I don’t usually cook. lol But all my roommates seem to be gourmet chefs, so I let them take care of it. It seems to be pasta w/ garlic bread, stirfrys, or some authentic chinese dish (I have a roommate from China that is studying abroad in the U.S.). It’s been an interesting/good experience…she had never had peanutbutter before (the horror!!) so I took care of that problem. ;) Have a good weekend Heather!

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Kayla,
Oh my goodness…please tell me you gave her some almond butter as well! ;)

A Teenage Gourmet September 25, 2010 at 9:53 am

I don’t really have “dinner guests,” but I have my family! I like to serve them whatever I feel like cooking, which is often a one-pot meal. Stew, soup, and chili are common options. Last weekend, I made a fancy salmon dinner. I’m about to post the recipes right now. :)

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Teenage Gourmet,
I would like to volunteer myself as your dinner guest. :)

Kristy @ KristyRuns September 25, 2010 at 10:35 am

Nut butter in chilli?!?! Whaaaaa? I trust your opinion that it tasted amazing. I’ve just never hear of it/tried it before. I definitely am going to try that recipe! :)

We’re still in the process of getting our house dinner guest-ready. ;) Oh, the joys of being a home owner…

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Kristy,
Yes, you must try it. I know a lot of people who put peanut butter in their chili, but we try all different kinds of nut butters in ours…kind of like Marinutta sauce: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/marinutta-sauce/. Another one you should try if you haven’t already. :)

Carolyn September 25, 2010 at 4:51 pm

That peanut flour you have left also works in marinutta Heab ;-)

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Carolyn,
Such a versatile ingredient that peanut flour. Can’t wait to hear what you think of the TJ’s stuff!

S @ extremebalance.net/blog September 25, 2010 at 10:51 am

I used to love making salmon because I was confident it would always turn out well… which is also how I feel making desserts. I’m allergic to fish now–would it be wrong to make dinner of dessert? :D

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 2:16 pm

S,
NO!!! I often just a eat a bowl of sweet oatmeal for dinner as sometimes that all I want. :)

S September 25, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Oh, thank you, online enabler! ;)

Christina @ ilovefetacheese September 25, 2010 at 11:01 am

Ok, that’s it. I don’t think I can wait any longer to make CDs chili!! YUM. And I really like how your dessert pie recipe doesn’t have a lot of sugar in it and you make it for others. I feel like people sometimes will add more sugar when they are taking a dessert to someones house or making it for a lot of people, but most of the time, people can’t notice the difference. I cut out 1/2 the sugar from a pie I recently made and I swear it still tasted too sweet…maybe we become desensitized? Who knows…great post as usual! :)

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Christina,
Yeah, I hardly used any sugar, but honestly, I wouldn’t have used any if the pie was just for me and CD. The original recipe called for 1/2 cup sweetener, but honestly, I didn’t think it needed any as the filling was nothing but coconut milk and dark chocolate…the sugar in the 70% chocolate would have been enough for me…but I think I am a bit desensitized when it comes to chocolate. :) And yes, make CD’s chili!

Christina @ ilovefetacheese September 25, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Oh yea! with 70% chocolate, that would add just enough sweetness. I thought you were using unsweetened, but with 70 that would be great :) I’ll let you know how the chili goes! Just got some grass fed finished beef for it…woot!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 25, 2010 at 11:55 am

Awwe cute story about using his gatherings to stalk CD ;) haha The eats look delicious! I love the peanut butter in the chili- I’ll definitely have to give that a try. I bet it gives it a really awesome texture, too.

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Mary,
The nut butter makes the chili creamier. We love it! Try it. :)

Katie September 25, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Oh, to have pie in the house…breakfast pie, indeed! It looks amazing, Heather!

I usually make stir-fries for guests. Or I’ll invite people over for a BBQ – I like to have a lot of options, so I like for guests to as well.

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Katie,
Please come take the rest of the pie…please. It keeps calling my name from the fridge. ;)

Kristina @ spabettie September 25, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Jason adds cinnamon to his chili, and it is such a warm flavor – it works so well.

Now I am craving chili… and adding pumpkin to the cornbread is genius too, and must meld so well flavor wise…

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Kristina,
I think Jason should make the chili tonight, and you can be in charge of the cornbread. Enjoy your dinner! :)

MarathonVal September 25, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I loooove pumpkin cornbread. And I also love the idea of the cinnamon nut butter in chili…I bet it was delicious! Hope you have a great weekend Heather! :)

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Same to you Val! :)

grocery goddess jen September 25, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I like to make spinach lasagna for guests, mostly because I have delicious leftovers afterwords! That pie looks fantastic.

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Jen,
Lasagna leftovers are the best. In fact, I think both lasagna and chili always taste better the next day.

Jennifer September 25, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Sounds like such a nice evening! I can’t wait to try that pie recipe!! Do you think you could use cornstarch instead of tapioca?

Also…with all your cornbread posts last week, I HAD to make some of that, too. But I didn’t want to just make it because I know I’d eat. it. all. Sooo…included in this week’s menu is one of our favorite chili recipes…turkey pumpkin chili – for which I plan to make the cornbread. And now that you’ve added pumpkin to that?!?!? Perfect!! I’m gonna try it too! I wonder if it will pumpkin overload in one meal?? (is there such a thing? i think not!) ;)

Thanks for all the great ideas!!

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Jennifer,
First off, no, you can never have too much pumpkin in one meal. That’s what fall is for, and as far as the pie goes, the original recipe called for arrowroot powder, and so yes, you can sub any thickener. I’m sure cornstarch will work just fine. Enjoy! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 25, 2010 at 1:57 pm

What do I like to serve my dinner guests? hmmm…peace and quiet, calmness, and a drama-free meal. When you have kids, it’s less about what’s actually served but just wondering if anyone will actually be able to eat their meal, and mama for sure won’t be able to eat un-interrupted. Will probably be up and down 13 times tending to lil one’s needs!

Seriously, vegan food that they don’t know is vegan food; hearty warmed cooked things that are filling and no one would suspect are, gasp, vegan. B/c then they wouldn’t want it. haha!

The pie looks so good and you’re never gonna believe this but I have a couple posts always halfway written and just yesterday I un-earthed a recipe from 16 months ago that I had totally forgotten about. It’s a raw vegan chocolate pie. I am re-posting it within the next 48 hrs. My food photography is so god-awful. That’s what my topic is about…haha. I just happen to be using that pie as example. I LOVE the way your pie looks!! YUM!

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Averie,
We’re on the same wavelength these days…I can’t get chocolate pie out of my head. It keeps calling my name from the fridge! You should try that pie…not raw, but quite tasty! :)

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' September 25, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I’m usually the “dessert” girl for dinner parties– I bring loads of cookies!! I make a mean oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, vegan ginger cookies, and Reese’s cookies for my husband… he doesn’t like to share. ;)

I love, love, love chocolate cream pies, so I’m going to check out your recipe!!

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Megan,
I bet you’re always the most popular guest at dinner parties. :)

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' September 25, 2010 at 7:54 pm

I hope you don’t mind if I ask you, do you have a special plug-in for your comments? I love how when you reply here, I am emailed your response! I’m a pretty new blogger, and would love to add that to my blog if it’s possible!

Thanks! :)

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Megan,
It’s a Plug-In for wordpress blogs called Comment Reply Notification (http://fairyfish.com/2008/11/04/comment-reply-notification/). Do you self-host or blog for free at Wordpress.com? When I used Wordpress.com, I would respond to both the blog and the commenter by simply hitting the reply button in my email to send my response to the blog, and then I would Cc the commenter so that he/she received my response as well via email.

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 25, 2010 at 3:38 pm

That all looks so good, especially the cornbread and pie.

I’m not a stellar cook, so, if I am serving others, I usually stick to simple meals like fajitas, tacos, or meatloaf+potatoes. Nobody complains! My sister and I once threw a “panini party” where we set out a whole bunch of panini ingredients (different breads, meats, cheeses, veggies, spreads, etc.) and everyone made their own panini. It was SUCH a hit.

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Caitlin,
Panini party? What a great idea! I need to remember that one…and buy a panini press. ;)

christina cadden September 25, 2010 at 3:55 pm

It all looks so good!

Lisa September 25, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Omg! All that food looks phenomonal! =)

Ana September 25, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Wow, that chilli with cornbread looks so good!
Love the idea of using pumpkin in the cornbread, I am definitely going to try that!
There is only one reason I enjoy fall and winter seasons, and that is/are pumpkin and winter squash! Love, love, love pumpkin and butternut, acorn, kabocha, all winter squashes are awesome!
We already kick started the season here with vegan pumpkin chocolate chip muffins: the best!!

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Ana,
Pumpkin chocolate chip muffins? Please tell Matheus to save some for me! ;)

Ana September 26, 2010 at 8:38 am

They are the best Heather, I am sure you and the heablet will love it! (especially when she is a bit older and can eat mini muffins!) If you want to try here is the link:

Carly September 25, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Correct me if i’m wrong, and excuse my CREEPINESS… but was CD running up the HUGE hill by Belmont today? If so, i saw him… and high five to him! he was BOOOKING it!

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Carly,
Yes, it was his hill sprint day! So funny you recognized him. :)

Rachael September 25, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I’m loving the concept of savory nut butter. My Vitamix might have a mission tomorrow!
I go to a lot of potlucks (Asheville is, at it’s heart, a potluck lovin’, hippie town) and I always try out a brand new recipe for that particular night. This has resulted in raw almond butter falafel (win) and hot-as-heck Madras curry (fail – there were tears). When people come to our place, I like to create a build-your-own-salad bar – interactive food at parties is always fun!

HEAB September 25, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Rachael,
I can be in Asheville in about 5 hours…I especially like goat cheese and roasted beets on my salads…although a raw almond butter falafel would make a good topper as well. ;)

Natalie September 25, 2010 at 8:46 pm

woohoo! the pumpkin + coconut chocolate is a great combo. I am going to try that.

Melissa @ TryingToHeal September 25, 2010 at 8:49 pm

ah, what a great dinner party! and i’ll have to remember the pumpkin trick for the cornbread! i love cornbread!

Shelby September 25, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Um, can you stop being so beautiful? It’s not fair to the rest of us ;) You are just glowing girl!!

Gosh, I missed this. Reading your posts and bookmarking every single one since I want to make everything you create. Seriously, come cook for me?

amber at berlinswhimsy September 25, 2010 at 9:30 pm

YUM, YUM, YUM. I have that cornbread recipe on my “to-do” list and now I want to make it with squash (I would think that would work, too?). I have about a cup of leftover roasted squash in my frig— perfect for trying this out! :-)

HEAB September 26, 2010 at 8:16 am

Amber,
Oh yes, I think the cornbread would definitely work with any type of winter squash. Mmm, now you’ve got me dreaming of kabocha cornbread. :)

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly September 25, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I don’t get to have dinner guests yet! Hahaha. We’d done a few pasta dinners when I lived at school. It was the cheapest way to make all 10 of us happy at one meal. My favorite, though, is actually brunch. I’d do it differently next time than we used to – whole wheat pancakes, zucchini quiche, a big oatmeal bar with a thousand toppings, mimosas, coffee… I may have planned this out last week, can you tell?

Your cacao bliss cornbread looks like it would be the only thing comforting me at 5:30 in the morning, too! Glad she was happy with it. :-p

HEAB September 26, 2010 at 8:17 am

Kristen,
Brunch with an oatmeal bar. Brilliant! When are you doing this? Just let me know, and HEABlet and I will be there. I’ll bring the Cacao Bliss! ;)

Monique@She's Going The Distance September 25, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Almond butter chili?!?! Sounds amazing!

Namaste Gurl September 25, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Mmmm, your WHOLE meal looks YUMMY– stop making me hungry again, as I already ate dinner :-)

Do you use cornflour for Polly’s cornbread recipe? I used it last time and the corn flour made it really chewy…does yours do that when u use cf? What brand of cornmeal do you use, if you used it for this recipe?

HEAB September 26, 2010 at 8:14 am

Namaste Gurl,
Nope, I used 100% cornmeal for Polly’s recipe. Yes, the corn flour definitely adds a chew factor. The cornbread comes out much more crumbly with cornmeal. That’s why I liked the addition of the pumpkin. For my latest batch, I used this brand which CD picked up at a local grocery store: http://www.house-autry.com/retail-products/biscuits-cornbread-corn-meal/yellow-plain-corn-meal

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 25, 2010 at 11:59 pm

That pie looks aweeeeeeesome!

I like to serve Italian cuisine to my guests. Pasta or a baked dish is usually always a crowd-pleaser around here. I haven’t met a person that doesn’t love salad, bread, and pasta! Well, actually, my husband doesn’t like bread that much — he’s SUCH a weirdo! LOL :)

Jenn

HEAB September 26, 2010 at 8:12 am

Jenn,
CD rarely eats bread either. Silly men. ;)

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas September 26, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Anything slathering in Cacao Bliss is heaven!

I can’t wait to give it to my son. (But then I’ll have to share my jar!)

HEAB September 26, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Wendy,
Yeah, I’ll be the first to admit I hate sharing my cacao bliss. CD ate most of the jar, and now I have the last little bit hidden…I’m always hiding the good stuff from him. Hehe. ;)

amyjogo September 27, 2010 at 9:28 pm

I’ve seen you talk about CD’s almond butter chili and wondered about it. Then as I was reading the comments tonight, I realized we’ve been adding peanut butter to chili for years. We make a traditional chili (ground beef, kidney beans, tomatoes, and other veg) but instead of cornbread on the side, we have peanut butter sandwiches. Yummy for soaking up the chili juices.

I love that it’s cool out now…more opportunities to make chili and soup! :)

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 7:44 am

Amyjogo,
I love the idea of PB sandwiches with your chili. That is great!

RJ September 28, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I am not sure if anyone else had a problem pulling up the link to Polly’s cornbread, but it didn’t work for me. :(

Also, I have just found Naturally Nutty in a local store (Great Harvest Bread Co.) and have been eating it out of the jar. Yummy. I started off with the Cinnamon Cherry P.B., but I will be sure to try the other nut butters you have recomended.

Thanks.

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 1:02 pm

RJ,

Yep, sorry about that. Polly is working on her blog, and she emailed me the recipe should anyone ask. Here it is:

2 cups cornmeal
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp baking soda (I only used about 1/2 tsp)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt (I only used about 1/2 tsp)
3 eggs
2 cups almond milk (I used HEABified coconut milk)

Mix and pour into greased pan. Bake at 350* for 45-50 minutes.

Makes 4-6 servings.

Enjoy!

P.S. So glad you found the Naturally Nutty. I love that stuff!

RJ September 28, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Thank you for the recipe!

Brenna October 6, 2010 at 10:46 am

Do you have a direct link to the cornbread recipe? I can’t find it.

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Brenna,
Yep, sorry about that. Polly switched blog servers and changed up her recipe page. The recipe is located on this page: http://www.yogaisyummy.com/p/yummy-recipes.html. For the pumpkin version, I simply subbed 2 heaping spoonfuls of pumpkin for 1 of the eggs. Enjoy! :)

{ 2 trackbacks }