Mr. Peanut, I Have Not Forgotten You

by HEAB on September 28, 2010

Remember my Chocolate/PB Explosion post back when I could not seem to get enough of that combo? Well, I kept the cravings at bay for a while, but they are back. I’m trying not to eat a whole lot of peanut products during my 3rd trimester (you can read why here), but I have been enjoying a little peanut lovin’ lately.

First off, I tried a new peanut butter, and I am in LOVE…

Screen shot 2010-09-28 at 8.17.12 AM.png

3 of my favorite things all in one jar: peanut butter, chocolate, and coffee.

Mmm, tastes amazing on warm pumpkin cornbread

Yesterday, the following combo finally got me out of bed at 4 AM after tossing and turning for almost an hour. Nothing like a big bowl of oat bran in the wee hours of the morning!

Peanut Butter Cup Oats. 100% inspired by the Non-Dairy Queen

I loved Sarena’s Peanut Butter Oatmeal Waffle so much, that I decided to make it in oat bran form. To do so, I simply cooked 1/2 cup oat bran with 1 and 1/2 cups water on the stove-top. Once the water was absorbed, I added 2 TBSP peanut flour (which you can purchase at Trader Joe’s) and 1/2 packet of stevia. Toppings included nothing but a big blob of hemp fudge. Tasty!

I’ve decided the winner of our Mustard Eating Adventure will win a jar of this…

Naturally Nutty Cashew Butter – you know you want it, and you can click here to enter if you haven’t done so already.

Off to work on the nursery. :)

Jessica @ How Sweet September 28, 2010 at 8:49 am

Mocha peanut butter?! I must try that! It sounds incredible!

Hands in Namaste September 28, 2010 at 8:50 am

ahhh that mocha pb looks divine!

good luck on the nursery :-)

Michelle (@ Housewife in the Raw) September 28, 2010 at 8:51 am

I remember the pregnancy insomnia all too well. I think it is a bit ironic that at a time when you need to be resting up, you can’t.

I keep reading about the TJ’s peanut flour and am so jealous. I loved TJ when I lived in MN and so miss it. When we went to visit last year I brought an empty suitcase to bring back TJ goodies. I need to start a ‘Bring Trader Joes to Texas’ campaign.

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 10:22 am

Michelle,
I have actually been using peanut flour from Byrd Mill: http://www.byrdmill.com/gourmet_peanut_flour. A reader sent it to me, but said it is comparable to TJ’s brand. The shipping is pricey, but you can order in large quantities. Hope you find some peanut flour in your life soon – it’s so versatile!

eatmovelove September 28, 2010 at 8:59 am

Oh God HEAB – now you know how much I love that Naturally Nutty – and can’t find it anywhere here! Arrgh :( . So here’s to hoping that Mustard lovin’ takes you no later or earlier than the end of January ;) .

Goodness. Mocha? I really, really want to sit in on these meetings with these Geniuses that come up with these flavors.

No. I want to sit in and taste-test. And work for them. And get all the products for free :) .

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood September 28, 2010 at 9:00 am

Cashews! One of my other lovers besides Mr. Peanut and Mr. Mustard Man… can’t wait to see that jar in my hands, just kidding :-D

Also can’t wait to see the finished nursery! PLEASE take pictures of it once you’re done ;) <3

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 10:22 am

Sylvia,
I will…I promise. :)

Marina September 28, 2010 at 9:01 am

Mocha peanut butter? That would be so perfect for the morning bowl of oats.
I can’t get enough of nut butters lately, god knows why

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 10:23 am

Marina,
Hmm, we seem to be having the same issue. ;)

Alyssa September 28, 2010 at 9:07 am

Ohhh I hope I win! I can’t wait to see the nursery :-) I’m sure it will look adorable!

Meg September 28, 2010 at 9:07 am

Mocha peanut butter?! It’s like the best of both worlds, haha!

Felicia September 28, 2010 at 9:08 am

pb, mocha, and chocolate?! o.m.g. on cornbread? drool. that loves sooooo goood heather!!

Melanie September 28, 2010 at 9:13 am

Mocha pb??? Holy crap!!! I might do a cartwhell for that! And I don’t even know how to do a cartwheel…

Package coming your way; I’m mailing it Friday:)

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 10:24 am

Thanks so much Melanie. :) And the mocha PB? Totally cartwheel worthy. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 28, 2010 at 9:18 am

Have fun at the nursery!! I’m sure being around all those babies will be incredible :)

I’m not a fan of coffee, but that PB sounds delicious!

Alex September 28, 2010 at 9:20 am

I totally just passed the oatbran yesterday at Whole Foods. I stopped and pondered whether I should try it or not, but….I didn’t get :( I should have! It looks so creamy and good :)

I also just made some mocha oatmeal the other day-cocoa powder and coffee cooked into the oats and topped with sliced almonds! Yum!

And I hope we get to see pictures of the nursery when its done! I loved my mom’s painting on my walls when I was a baby! She was an artist and painted the most beautiful flowers all over the walls. It looked like my room was a garden! I loved it so much that I never repainted :)

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 10:25 am

Alex, oat bran is by far my favorite grain. I love how thick it gets, and I find it to be much more filling than rolled oats. Try it! Nursery pics coming soon. I promise. :) So cool your mom painted the walls – I’m not getting that creative, but I wish I could!

S @ extremebalance.net/blog September 28, 2010 at 9:22 am

Oh, now I’m in trouble! Can I tell you that I’ve had PB cups (a la Vanilla Sugar) in my freezer constantly since you posted about the PB cup and protein ice cream sundae back in July? Every time i mix up a batch I promise myself it’s the last one and I’ll go without for awhile, but it’s become my daily bite of treat and I miss it when it’s not there!! I think I’m saved in this case by the fact that Naturally Nutty is definitely not available in my small town. :)

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 10:26 am

S,
Those PB cups are like crack. No doubt about it…I think it’s the graham crackers. ;)

S @ extremebalance.net/blog September 28, 2010 at 12:04 pm

I KNOW! And this weekend I tried making the recipe with chocolate wafer crumbs *instead of* graham to see what it would be like… the insides are now an off-putting grey colour, but they’re less sweet (and I only use 1 Tbsp icing sugar for the recipe)… Still totally delicious. It just. Doesn’t. Stop!

grocery goddess jen September 28, 2010 at 9:29 am

When you add the peanut flour to the oat bran, does the flavor come through? I don’t live near a Trader Joe’s, but next time I’m near one I’m going to get a bag of it! I’m already making a list in my head of what I’ll do with it :)

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 10:27 am

Jen,
Yes, the peanut flour has a strong peanut taste. I love it – really good in smoothies and baked goods as well. Hope you get some soon!

offmotorway September 28, 2010 at 9:29 am

The Mocha PB really does sound like the final word in nut butters, and utterly fabulous. Btw, I recently discovered that hazlenut butter tastes just like chocolate pralines! Perfect for an afternoon snack.

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 10:27 am

Offmotorway,
Afternoon snack? How about for breakfast, lunch, and dinner as well! ;)

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 28, 2010 at 9:36 am

i am really so excited about the nursery pics! people have the cutest ideas for nursery decor :)

Krystina September 28, 2010 at 9:40 am

Mocha peanut butter?! Be still, my heart.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 28, 2010 at 10:01 am

Looks amazing! I still have not put the flour in my oats…what am I thinking?! I am thinking we need to do a batch of the hemp fudge with some peanut flour fudge on top!!! I have been thinking about it a lot lately….is it weird I think about food 98% of the time? With all this cornbread love and the cooler temps, I am making cornbread dressing right now! Dangit…you always make me hungry and I am not pregnant! Have fun working on the nursery today..so exciting!

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 10:30 am

Sarena,
I cannot wait for cornbread dressing. I guess I could go ahead and make it, but it doesn’t seem cool enough for it yet…soon I hope! I want to come to your house for Thanksgiving in September. I’ll bring the Manitoba hemp powder, and we can have peanut butter fudge for dessert! :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 28, 2010 at 11:05 am

I am doing fall cleaning (I don’t know where all the dust bunnies came from) and it was in the 60s when we walked this morning. So, it felt like fall this morning. It is supposed to warm up here too, but I can’t stand it…I need dressing! So, with the house clean..you are on! Anytime you want to come to ATL! I have a feeling we will be feasting when you make it here!

gigi September 28, 2010 at 10:12 am

Mmmmm peanut flour in oats, I’m gonna have to try that today :)

Justine September 28, 2010 at 10:25 am

I LOVE cashew butter! (my fingers are so cressed that it hurts)

I have got to start baking with pumpkin and bananas soon. The weather is all but slapping me in the face to do so. :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) September 28, 2010 at 10:35 am

Oooh mocha peanut butter. Looks incredible!

xo
Kris

Maren September 28, 2010 at 10:41 am

I’ve been all about the oats lately but I’ll have to break out and try some oat bran. And this peanut flour sounds so cool.

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Maren,
Oat bran is my favorite – so thick and creamy!

melissa @ the delicate place September 28, 2010 at 11:00 am

i have yet to make the hemp fudge but after seeing that blog of chocolate-y goodness i might be making that later today haha. good luck on the nursery!

Namaste Gurl September 28, 2010 at 11:01 am

Yum–You know, you’re scrumptious pictures of your cornbread are REALLY wanting me to bake another batch…. as mine still hasn’t turned out like yours :) Maybe I’ll try pumpkin this time. I never added eggs, I always replaced the eggs with flax, banana, enerG egg replacer, etc…. I guess I just wanted to veganize them. It made it more special. I do eat eggs though.

Mmmm, mocha peanut butter– sound delish! Goodness Naturally Nutty, I have yet to try you, but I don’t want to turn away from wonderful Artisana :)

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Namaste,
I think you need to try the cornbread with eggs. Makes a huge difference! :)

nicole September 28, 2010 at 11:05 am

Ooooh mocha PB? Uh oh..I might have to make an online purchase…
I’ve been reading a lot about peanut flour lately. Is it a better alternative to PB?

…I tried the custard oats with whole buckwheat yesterday. Umm yeah, don’t try it. Bad news. lol

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Nicole,
Thanks for the heads up on the buckwheat. Good to know. I’ll stick with oat bran. :) Peanut flour is good. I like the strong peanut taste it lends to oats, smoothies, etc. You get the flavor with fewer calories. However, nothing beats real PB in my opinion!

P.S. Order the Mocha PB – I think you would really like it as it’s not very sweet.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 28, 2010 at 11:30 am

Oh my goodness – peanut butter cup oats? Delicious!

No peanut butter during the third trimester? That makes me rethink my ever wanting to get pregnant! :)

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Chelsey,
Well, some people think that if you OD on peanut butter or other peanut products, the baby might develop a peanut allergy. However, I’ve read so much conflicting info on the topic. So, I’m just eating less and praying for no peanut allergies!

Lauren at KeepItSweet September 28, 2010 at 11:50 am

mocha peanut butter? yum!!

Lisa September 28, 2010 at 11:51 am

I’ve been copying your pb in oatmeal creations – throwing a banana in there, yum! Today I discovered Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams…OH…MY…GOODNESS. The jar is sitting in my desk and I’m trying hard not to dip into it throughout the day. PB & Co. is a sandwich shop here in NYC and their PB is soooo yum. Check it out! http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Lisa,
I ate at PB & Co. when I was in town to run the NYC marathon a few years ago. I loved it – I had a sandwich with Granny Smith apples on it or something. My favorite thing to do with DCD is to put a blob of it in a cupcake liner and stick it in the freezer. Tastes straight up like a frozen Reece’s cup. I swear! So good. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 28, 2010 at 11:57 am

The NN on the cornbread…that’s drool worthy, and I dont even love cornbread…haha!

Katie from NN is SUCH a doll! Love that woman and her flavors are amazing, and it seems she’s cranking out new and even better ones, if it was even possible to top what she already had available.

The nursery. Can’t wait to see how it comes together. Organizers the drawers, figuring out that perfect spot for all the baby blankets, onesies, wipes, diapers, yeah, it’s so fun!

I saw a Buzz update or a tweet or something the other day that said you bought a case of Pampers Swaddlers. Those are the BEST diapers for newborns. I think that’s a unanimous new-mothers agreement. Then some moms say they like Huggies when the baby grows but for the little bit of time we didnt do cloth, huggies gave skylar a bad rash and I’ve also heard pampers are better for girls, huggies for boys. Who knows. It’s like food/exercise, totally individual :) But you’ll be in cloth before you know it so none of this will matter much. But in the early days, yes, use ‘sposies and save yourself some work!

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Averie,
Yes, I think you originally told me Pampers, and everyone else has agreed. Ordered the Green Mountain detergent and some Bac Out. Mother Love is waiting to be opened, and I got my lavender and tea tree oil all ready. :)

Shelby September 28, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I haven’t had PB in forever! I actually haven’t had any nut butter in a while, only raw almonds. But after seeing this post I know what’s on my grocery list!

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Who are you and what have you done with Shelby!?! ;)

Ana September 28, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Mocha peanut butter? That sounds delicious!!

Lea @ Healthy Coconut September 28, 2010 at 12:57 pm

“Nut butter, chocolate, and coffee” (is my current Eat Pray Love theme at the moment), lol!

There are so many choices with Nut Butters and I’m getting the best recommendation from your blog Heather. Thanks a lot.

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Lea,
Ha – I love it. It’s my motto too these days, although I’ve been doing decaf. Missing my caffeine in the mornings! Good guess on the mustard by the way – yeah, our servings probably aren’t very typical. Hehe. ;)

Brandae September 28, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Hi Heather, that’s one of my favorite combinations – yummy – mocha pb!

I have a thought about this peanut flour topic – and maybe you’ve already considered this – but I used to make my own peanut butter by throwing peanuts in my food processor until they turned into peanut butter. The peanuts turned into a coarse and then fine powdery flour before butter appeared. Maybe we could make our own peanut flour?

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Brandae,
I don’t see why not. However, I think the peanut flour I’ve been using has had some of that fat removed. That being said, I’m all for some fat and should really try making my own. Thanks for the idea. :)

Emily September 28, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Looks delish! And a little peanut butter never hurt anyone :) especially when mixed with chocolate, and coffee :)

Shauna September 28, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Too funny. I’m just scraping the last of a nearly identical bowl. I was a bit disappointed, though, because I couldn’t really taste the peanut flour. Mine had banana also, and I was really hoping for a good peanut butter and banana bowl. I ended up adding the cocoa right into the bowl and a little espresso powder. It was OK, but not what I was craving.

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Shauna,
Great minds think alike, no? Sorry you didn’t get a strong PB flavor…chocolate always makes everything better. :)

Lauren @ 40Apples September 28, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Yum! I’ve got to try that with my p. flour! :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 28, 2010 at 2:24 pm

HEAB that looks so good. And you need to stop with the pumpkin cornbread and just cornbread in general — I sit at work thinking about cornbread all day :(

I have TJs peanut flour but haven’t really used it much — oats sounds like a good place to start!

I really hope I picked the right mustard date!

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Holly,
Hehe – sorry. If it makes you feel any better, there is no cornbread in my house right now! Enjoy your pb oats. :)

Laura September 28, 2010 at 2:30 pm

To be honest, only one word can describe ANY post that involves peanut butter and that is…YUM!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 28, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I have been trying to decide whether or not to shell out the money for some Naturally Nutty products and this Mocha PB has pretty much convinced me to do it. That flavor just sounds ridiculously good!!

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Liz,
Yeah, that about describes it – ridiculous! I really like the Mocha PB because it’s not too sweet. I think you would love it. :)

Stacy @ Student of Healthy Living September 28, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Oh so fun, I can’t wait to see pictures of the nursery; that is of course if you post them :) How is the baby prep coming? I can’t remember if you discussed this or not, but are you planning on going to a hospital or using a doula? Great job on limiting your PB consumption! That has to be a toughy :)

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Stacy,
Yes, nursery photos will be posted as soon as it’s all ready. I promise! Everything is coming together. Just a few last projects to finish up. We are having the baby at a hospital, but I plan to labor at home as long as I possibly can as I would prefer no interventions.

Little Bookworm September 28, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Mocha peanut butter sounds really interesting! Love your breakfast – wonder if I could make a version of it with almond butter…?

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Little Bookworm,
I’m sure you could find a way. Just add almond butter to your porridge plus maybe a little almond extract. Then for the topping, use homemade chocolate almond butter! :)

Katie September 28, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I’m not usually a fan of flavored peanut butter, but if there’s coffee involved, I’m in.
I think I ate oatbran cooked with peanut flour every evening last week. Its great with a little drizzle of maple syrup too.

Meghan September 28, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Peanut butter, chocolate and coffee in one product!?!? Only my 3 favorite things……I must now acquire this….Thanks for always keeping us informed of new amazingness…my tastebuds thank you, even if my wallet and scale don’t :)

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Meghan,
You’re welcome.

Meghan’s wallet & scale,
Sorry! ;)

Annie@stronghealthyfit September 28, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Mm that cornbread looks good- never tried it with nut butter! I think you can put that stuff on just about anything. Cashew butter is one of my fav.’s.

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Annie,
Nut butter on anything? Yes, yes you can. :)

Namaste Gurl September 28, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Agreed! I don’t like this product (PF) simply because it’s “low fat”, but because it’s peanut butter powder and I think that’s really cool :) When I saw the lowness in fat grams when on the peanut flour, I went “where’s the fat?”
Haha. Def. NOT enough fat in the peanut flour and I’m quite mad about that detail

I’m def. going to try that idea, too, Brandae!

Emily September 28, 2010 at 6:57 pm

That’s it. I’m going to have to try oat bran now. Hopefully I can find a gluten free version that’s not too expensive. Have fun with the nursery!

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Emily,
I’m not sure if they make gluten free oat bran. Please let me know if you find some!

Michelle September 28, 2010 at 7:54 pm

That pumpkin cornbread sounds and looks soo delicious! Looked for the recipe on your site but could not find, would you mind sharing it?
Thanks

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 7:57 pm

2 cups cornmeal
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp baking soda (I only used about 1/2 tsp)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt (I only used about 1/2 tsp)
3 eggs
2 cups almond milk (I used HEABified coconut milk)

Mix and pour into greased pan. Bake at 350* for 45-50 minutes.

Makes 4-6 servings.

For the pumpkin version, I simply subbed 2 heaping spoonfuls of canned pumpkin for one of the eggs.

Enjoy!

Michelle September 28, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Thank you! That is on my to do list for tomarrow! I have dark chocolate almond butter, chocolate hazelnut butter and maple almond butter. Which to use as a topping? Any suggestions? Thanks again for the recipe! :)

HEAB September 28, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Michelle,
You’re welcome. Personally, I would go for the maple almond butter. I think it would pair really well with the pumpkin cornbread. OK, so that’s a lie – I’d probably just scoop all three on top! :)

Michelle September 28, 2010 at 8:11 pm

My mouth is watering just thinkin about it! Will try all 3! Good advice! Now im off to a spoonfull of almond butter! :D

Natalie September 28, 2010 at 8:16 pm

It’s nice that naturally nutty has given you lots of pb to try .. they said they’d send me some and then just ignored me. I ordered 12 jars the week before my first baby came! when I went into labor I thought it was peanut butter poisoning. Anyway – I’ve boycotted them since they just ignored me. Thought it was rude. In any case, I just added some peanut flour to protein ice cream and it was delicious ! and for the first time I tried unsweetened chocolate – whoa. Way too bitter for me! I added some coconut oil, chocolate amazing grass + peanut flour and now we’re talking!

HEAB September 29, 2010 at 5:55 am

Natalie,
That stinks – you should call the company again at that was rude. I’ve had a few do that to me as well…I won’t name any names, but the one I’m thinking of in particular begins with “A” and rhymes with Bartisana. ;) It was a mishap on their part, and they apologized. And yeah, that unsweetened chocolate definitely takes some getting used to, but I love it now. However, don’t know how you do the Amazing Grass. Blech!

Danielle (Runs on Green) September 28, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Mocha PB?! That would be 2 of my favorite things all balled up into one :D

Are you going to take pictures of the nursery when it’s finished??

HEAB September 29, 2010 at 5:56 am

Danielle,
Of course! Hoping to have the nursery finished this weekend. :)

MizFit September 29, 2010 at 5:00 am

were your ears burning this weekend?
I was talking about you a lot at TYPE A MOM conference :)
all
great
things.

HEAB September 29, 2010 at 5:57 am

Miz,
Yes, I was wondering why my ears were red all weekend! Thanks for your kind words. :)

Tracy September 29, 2010 at 10:18 am

Hi Heather, I made this comment once already and it didn’t seem to post, so forgive me if it appears twice!

I love Cashew Butter AND Naturally Nutty products. Do you know when she will start selling it? I couldn’t find it on the website. In the meantime, I hope I win!!!!

Can’t wait to see the nursery! I worked at a baby furniture store while I was preg with all 4 of my kids and had so much fun planning the nursery each time. Have fun!

HEAB September 29, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Tracy,
Your first comment might have gotten spammed – sorry about that! I’m not sure why the cashew butter isn’t on the Naturally Nutty website yet. I would email katie@naturallynutty.com (owner of co.) and ask her if there is anyway you can purchase it as I know they are selling it in stores in Michigan.

So cool you worked in a baby furniture store – oh my gosh, I bet your nursery decor was adorable! :)

Tracy September 29, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Thanks, Heather! I sent her an email.

I did have cute nursery decor, but it was torture deciding as new product continued to come in every day. I changed my whole plan several times!

HEAB September 29, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Tracy,
I’d probably never get a paycheck if I worked in a baby furniture store – I’d end up owing them money every pay period I’m sure. Hope you get your cashew butter soon. :)

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan September 29, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Ahh, you and the Naturally Nutty! So JEALOUS! :P

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 8:47 am

Amber,
I know – at least I’m willing to share. ;)

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan September 30, 2010 at 9:18 am

You’re right, at least I get to live (/taste) vicariously through your pics ;]

Cheryl September 30, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Looks super delicious!!

tracy October 3, 2010 at 1:09 pm

ooh! cashew butter! i haven’t found a version that doesn’t have added oils. is it necessary to have added oils?

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Tracy,

The Naturally Nutty brand contains cashews, flax seeds, hemp seed, and palm fruit oil. However, I also have some Artisana macadamia/cashew butter, and it’s nothing but raw nuts. I’ve made my own roasted cashew butter using this method: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/homemade-nut-butter/.

No oil required. :)