Grab & Go

by HEAB on September 30, 2010

I’ve been so busy lately, that I haven’t really sat down to many proper meals. Thankfully, CD takes care of dinner most nights, and during the day, I just kind of grab whatever I feel like eating…read there’s been a great deal of chocolate consumption these past few days. ;)

I finished off the last of my pumpkin cornbread in the waning Artisana raw almond butter jar.

Sad to see the pumpkin cornbread go, but not too sad about the almond butter. Honestly, this is probably my last favorite brand of almond butter. It tasted funky to me, and I wasn’t a huge fan.

However, there was one jar of Artisana that I was quite sad to see go. Goodbye my beloved Cacao Bliss

Oat bran served in the last few bites of chocolate heaven. Sniff sniff. :(

Yeah, that was a depressing day in my kitchen. However, I quickly got over it after making a double batch of The Healthy Coconut’s Double Coconut Nuts Granola.

I used pecans, added goji berries, and skipped the agave nectar. So good Lea – thanks again for sharing the recipe. I’ve been eating little bowls almost everyday with HEABified Coconut Milk. In fact, both these jars are now gone, and I need to make more!

Ever met a jar of almond butter you didn’t like?

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 30, 2010 at 11:13 am

grab and go things like these are the best…and i have just been reminded to make some cornbread and buy jars again :)

Jessica @ How Sweet September 30, 2010 at 11:14 am

I normally don’t do things out of jars, but cornbread I need to try!

Erica September 30, 2010 at 11:20 am

Deliciousness. Love homemade granola. I have tried Blue Diamonds almond butter…..no good! TJs unsalted, Justins maple and maranatha are probably my favs

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 11:44 am

Erica,
Never tried Blue Diamond myself as I heard it’s not that great. Think I’ll stick to TJ’s, Justin’s, and Maranatha as well. Oh, and I love Naturally Nutty’s vanilla AB too. Too good!

Lauren at KeepItSweet September 30, 2010 at 11:21 am

just wanted to let you know that you inspired me to make peanut butter oat bran yesterday – i made it with PB2 and then topped it with Maranatha chocolate almond butter… it was perfect!

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 11:44 am

Lauren,
Your bowl of peanut butter oat bran sounds perfect. Glad you enjoyed! :)

marie September 30, 2010 at 11:23 am

I haven’t tried many brands of AB but definitely prefer Barney Butter to the Whole Foods brand. However, I suspect that’s all about to change because (cue timpani drums!!) I just got my very own Vita 2 days ago and plan on making my own nut butters. And your protein ice cream. And Mama Pea’s Pumpkin Spice Latte. And some kick-a$$ green monsters. And….

One more thing: your nursery wall hangings are adorable!!! I especially love the owl.

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 11:45 am

Marie,
Oh my gosh – so excited for you! You are going to love your new blender, and you’ve got a great line-up of recipes to try. Enjoy! :)

marie September 30, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Thank you!! I have already made the whole wheat banana bread from the Vita cookbook and some chocolate mint protein ice cream. Your chocolate coconut butter may be next…..

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 30, 2010 at 11:30 am

…No. I have only ever bought Trader Joe’s Almond Butter, and I have liked them all. The raw one tastes a little strong, but I enjoy making cookies with it.

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 11:46 am

Caitlin, I love TJ’s almond butter. I say stick with that as TJ’s has never done me wrong. :)

Danielle (Runs on Green) September 30, 2010 at 11:30 am

Oat brain!! hahah not making fun of the typo…but I think I shall call it oat brain from now on :)

I *have* met some almond butter jars I didn’t like and it was because they were unsalted. A little salt goes a longggg way

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 11:47 am

Oops – thanks Danielle. Didn’t catch that. :)

carolyn September 30, 2010 at 11:33 am

Oat Brain.. OMG…So true in my house..

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 11:48 am

Carolyn,
I would love to say that was intentional but it wasn’t. However, so true…I love my moments of “oat brain”. ;)

Evan September 30, 2010 at 11:33 am

I don’t think I have met an almond butter I don’t like. I’m not crazy over Barney Butter as an almond butter, but as something sweet and salty it hits the spot better than peanut butter. Earth balance makes a terrific almond butter sweetened with agave–it’s definitely my favorite!

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 11:49 am

Evan,
Never had the Earth Balance stuff. I’ll have to try it – thx for the tip!

carolyn September 30, 2010 at 11:36 am

Didn’t like Barney Butter..

Whatever TJ Almond Butter with Flax has, that B Butter does not, is what i prefer in an almond butter.. I know.. not the most popular opinion i am sure.. just sayin…

Naturally Nutty empty jars are the best bowls..! Perfect size wide mouth.. Pumpkin Yogurt Oats out of one this AM!

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 11:50 am

Carolyn,
I agree with you – that TJ’s almond butter with flax is so good! Better than Barney Butter and yes, NN empty jars do make the best bowls. :)

VeggieGirl September 30, 2010 at 11:37 am

I have met one I didn’t like, since I can’t eat almonds anymore.

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 11:52 am

VG,
Huh, what? When did that happen?!? Allergy test results? :(

rachael September 30, 2010 at 11:44 am

My coworker told me she didn’t like almond butter and brought in the jar- I think it was Blue Diamond. I thought it tasted gross too, possibly rancid!

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Rachael,
I hope your coworker will try another brand as I’ve heard Blue Diamond isn’t very good. So sad that was her first almond butter experience. :(

lindsay September 30, 2010 at 11:52 am

I tried that soy nut butter once, BLAH!! And all those defatted Peanut butters make my stomach ache not to mention taste fake, which they are. I LOVE almost every flavor of almond butter though. Can’t go wrong…..right? hehe!

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Lindsay,
Soy nut butter is gross – agreed, and I think Better N PB tastes like melted plastic with fake sweetener. Yuck!

cameron September 30, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I love TJ’s raw unsalted almond butter- my fave! However, i’m not a fan of their nut butters that have flax in it- that i could do without….

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Cameron,
TJ’s raw is my favorite raw almond butter out there – plus, you can’t beat that price. That being said, I do love their almond butter with flax seed. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever tried a TJ’s nut butter that I didn’t like! :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 30, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I love TJ’s almond butter and I can’t believe I am writing this, but Barney Butter Almond Butter has been my least favorite so far. It just had a strange aftertaste!

Sorry the pumpkin cornbread is gone, but I’m not sorry since those pictures made me so hungry :)

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Holly,
Yes, I thought about you when writing this post. No more cornbread…at least for a couple of days. ;) Oh, and you’re not the only one who doesn’t like Barney Butter. I liked it, but it’s not for everyone.

StephORama September 30, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I’ve never met a nut butter I didn’t like! Guess I’m luck! :-)

Tina September 30, 2010 at 12:13 pm

My grab and go snacks are usually fruit and nuts. I don’t think I have really any grab and go meals. Its always so helpful to have things on hand.

Lea @ Healthy Coconut September 30, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Thank you for the shout out Heather. I’m glad you enjoyed the granola.

Good idea on adding the goji berries, it will add some tartness in the mix. I actually have a bag of goji berries that I bought and need to used up.

So far I have not had any nut butter that tasted bad or not liked. But when I bought a big jar of Artisana Cashew butter, I thought it would be more tasty like other nut butters. I thought it would have more flavor, like I had imagined it would taste. Each time that I’ve used it, the flavor gets lost in the mix. I still use it though but it’s the jar that gets the least mileage in my nut butter collection.

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Lea,
I love cashew butter, but yeah, the flavor is not nearly as strong as say peanut or almond butter. Still good though. Thanks again for the granola recipe. I loved it! :)

Ana September 30, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Heather, really interesting about the almond butter. I have met an almond butter I did not like and it was the exact same one as you: raw almond butter. My issue was the raw almonds, I find that ground raw almonds taste like as if I am eating pure almond extract (which I don’t like either).
I much prefer my almond butter to be made with roasted almonds. I think roasting is what gives it the flavor it has. I love almond butter, but has to be the roasted kind!
(and I have tried Artisana’s Roasted Almond Butter and it isgood, it is the raw stuff that I don’t like).
Oh and I didn’t like Barney Butter either (which I only tried from a sample packet, not a jar!), it feels wrong, not natural, kinda tastes like oil to me (I feel like I am risking myself saying this out loud as seems like everyone likes barney butter…)

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Ana,
No worries – I think you were the 3rd commenter that did not like Barney Butter. I do have to say, I much prefer the crunchy version from a jar. Their packets work, but I’d much rather have a packet of Justin’s chocolate! ;)

Although I like raw almond butters (well, except for Artisana’s), I will always be a roasted girl. Love that roasted flavor! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 30, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Making your own granola is the way to go! You control the ingredients, it’s cheaper by a long shot, and of course, it tastes wayyyy better. THings that are homemade always do :)

Ever met a jar of AB I dont like? YES!!!! Actually I know this is food blogger sacrilege, but….

…I actually don’t like AB!

Yes, I admit it :) I prefer PB or Sunflower Seed Butter by a mile, then cashew butter, then any kind of chocolatey nut butter spread and way last on my list is AB. I just like PB or Sunfl Seed Butter so much better and have never “loved” any AB I try compared to my faves. AB is “fine” but just not my end all, be all.

I say this to you, who’s of course, an AB connoisseur! haha! Thanks for admitting to not loving the Artisana and keepin it real!

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Averie,
No worries, I still love you. I get on my PB kicks as well and the almond butter gets shoved to the back of the cabinet. :)

Little Bookworm September 30, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I was not too keen on almond butter when I first tried it, but then discovered I just prefer raw almond butter (no salt) and the chocolate version of course. :D

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 2:07 pm

LB,
Chocolate makes everything better. :)

Shauna September 30, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I’ve been doing the grab thing, too, for the last couple of days. I don’t really like it though. It makes me feel out of sorts. I never have any idea where I am calorie wise for the day, and I’m a control freak like that. ;) But homemade coconut butter is addictive.

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Shauna,
Yes it is. :)

Andrea (@ puppy dog tales) September 30, 2010 at 12:39 pm

That granola looks fabulous. I keep forgetting that I can just eat it with some almond milk for a snack. Why do I tend to make things so much more complicated? I’m always wanting to mix it into something, or add it to the top of something. ha!:)

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Andrea,
Granola is one of my favorite snacks, and I’m not a big snacker. However, these days, I sometimes find myself really hungry…usually in the middle of the night, and I’ll grab a small coffee mugful with a little coconut milk. Perfect!

Cucee Sprouts September 30, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Mmmm. More almond recipes. I like it. Here is one more: a pita wrap with almond butter, honey and fruits http://cuceesprouts.com/2010/09/almond-butter-pear-honey-pocket/

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood September 30, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Oeee goji berries! I usually brew them in a cup of tea with dried longan. My mom said it was beneficial to the eyesight and since I’m “legally blind” in the state of NY, I need all the help that I can get ;)

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Sylvia,
Good to know as I wear -6 contacts in each eye, and I can barely make out the big E on the eye chart! Thanks for my goji berries – much appreciated! :)

susan September 30, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Yes! Blue Diamond was pretty lame.

melissa @ the delicate place September 30, 2010 at 1:26 pm

yeah..NOT a fan of blue diamond creamy, it’s so thick and past like but not in a good one and i find it super salty. give me maranatha or justin’s anyday!

melissa @ the delicate place September 30, 2010 at 1:28 pm

oops that was supposed to read ‘paste-like’

Meghan September 30, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I am not as into the AB so I have only tried a few brands, but for peanut butter I definitely have my favorites. I was actually pleasantly surprised that the regular old chain grocery store brand was actually very good and was a little easier on the wallet (and it was organic which is why I was willing to try it). I have a feeling AB isn’t too far behind…each time I go to the store, the nut butter section is expanding.

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Meghan,
Sometimes, there is nothing like some good peanut butter. :)

nicole September 30, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Almond butter is not my favorite. I can eat it but I don’t love it. I like PB much more. I’ve only tried the TJ’s kinds (raw and roased) and the blog-world favorite Barney Butter….which I thought was good but not good enough for me to go searching the Earth for another jar. If I find it, I’d buy it and it would probably sit in my cupboard for a while but get eaten eventually. PB, on the other hand, lasts about 2 weeks (tops) in my house. To each their own I guess!!

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Nicole,
Maybe you prefer the peanut butter because it’s not as sweet. I think that’s why I choose it over almond butter sometimes.

Marina September 30, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I’ve never met a jar of ab I didn’t like. Mostly because I make nut butters at home :D

Maren September 30, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I grab and go things out of my kitchen all the time. Cereal is the worst one. I have one handful, then another, and another…. bad news bears.

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Maren,
Yeah, I do that with Puffins. I think one box has about 10 servings, and I usually eat it in 4 or 5…if not less. :)

Shelby September 30, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Honestly, I haven’t met an AB I didn’t like. Every single one has a different flavor and texture and I just choose which one I’m in the mood for. My favorite is TJ’s unsalted of course. I read that people didn’t like blue diamond but I really love the stuff. It’s really salty so when I’m craving salt, I go for that brand.

Cacao Bliss…oh man. I haven’t had that stuff in AGES! When I get my first paycheck, I know what I’ll be buying ;)

Alyssa September 30, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Hmmm…can’t seem to get to the pumpkin cornbread recipe. Would you mind terribly posting it again? It just looks SO YUMMY!

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Alyssa, no problem. Polly took down her recipe for cornbread as she is having some work done on her blog. So, here it is:

2 cups cornmeal
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp baking soda (I only used about 1/2 tsp)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt (I only used about 1/2 tsp)
3 eggs (For the pumpkin version, I simply subbed 2 heaping spoonfuls of canned pumpkin for 1 of the eggs)
2 cups almond milk (I used HEABified coconut milk)

Mix and pour into greased pan. Bake at 350* for 45-50 minutes.

Makes 4-6 servings.

Alyssa September 30, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Thank you!!!!!!

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Welcome. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 30, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Don’t hate me..but I actually don’t care for almond butter. :/ I had a jar that took me over a month to get through..and it was a tiny one, too! Maybe it just wasn’t the right brand..I’ll have to give it another shot :)

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Mary, I would never hate you. You’re not the only one – several other commenters have said the same. Was it Blue Diamond almond butter you tried. I’ve never had it, but I hear it’s not that great.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 30, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Yeah that was it! I bought it thinking it’d be awesome since Blue Diamond mainly does almonds..but it was pretty aweful. Good to know other people thought the same thing. Now I know all almond butter’s not like that :)

HEAB October 1, 2010 at 11:41 am

Mary,
Hope you give AB another chance! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 30, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Never have I met an almond butter I didn’t like! I am particular about my PB though – don’t give me the expensive stuff, all I need is Smucker’s All Natural!!

HEAB October 1, 2010 at 11:39 am

Chelsey,
I’m the same way. Love my cheap TJ’s crunchy unsalted…Smuckers too! :)

caronae September 30, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I like almost every nut butter I have tried. I don’t like Justin’s chocolate penaut butter, maranatha’s chocolate peanut spread, or one of the TJ’s ABs I tried — I think maybe it was raw? It tasted icky. But the TJ’s Ab with flax is stellar.

I might be springing for artisana sometime very soon!

HEAB October 1, 2010 at 11:39 am

Caronae,
I wasn’t a huge fan of Justin’s chocolate PB either, but I LOVE his chocolate almond butter!!!!

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood September 30, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Oh right, I forgot to mention! I don’t like 365 Organic Smooth Almond Butter; I don’t know if it’s the brand but I think I prefer Justin’s Maple Almond Butter more. Maybe because it’s sweeter? :)

HEAB October 1, 2010 at 11:40 am

Sylvia,
Yeah, I like the 365 brand as well, but I’m a crunchy girl! ;)

Gaby October 1, 2010 at 11:19 pm

I made your coconut milk! I was out of almond and refused to buy another gallon. It worked so well and it’s so thick and creamy! I used xanthum gum and I don’t really know the proportions, it was just one can of coconut milk and then I filled up the blender with water. No sweetener because I like to have the choice to use it in savory recipes too.
I am a little obsessed with almost all nut butters and usually get the marantha almond butters from costco. I also love cashew butter when i want to pay a little more, and peanut butter because it’s cheap :p I wasn’t that impressed with Barney butter actually, I think I just like all natural nut butters.

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 6:26 am

Gaby,
So glad the coconut milk worked for you, and thanks for letting me know about that xanthan. Good to know for when I run out of lecithin. We buy the Maranatha from Costco as well. Can’t beat that price! :)

{ 1 trackback }