Chocolate Rice Bread

by HEAB on October 1, 2010

Remember my amaranth mush? Well, this morning, I tried the bread recipe again with brown rice, and it worked!

Chocolate Heaven.

For the bread, I soaked 2/3 cup brown rice overnight in water. This morning, I preheated my oven to 350° and drained/rinsed my soaked rice. I then laid out the rice on a piece of parchment paper and patted it dry with a paper towel. Into the Vita-Mix went the rice along with 3/4 cup water, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1 TBSP dark cocoa powder, and 1 packet of SlimSweet (stevia or other powdered sweetener would work just as well).

In the meantime, I placed a cake pan in the oven with 1 TBSP coconut oil until melted. I then removed the pan and poured my bread batter into it.

The batter always looks so watery, but after 23 minutes, I had a lovely round loaf of chocolate rice bread which I slathered in Naturally Nutty Mocha peanut butter and homemade chocolate coconut butter. That’s right, homemade chocolate coconut butter…

If you missed that post, please click here for the recipe. Oh, and my apologies to the folks at Artisana. ;)

My breakfast kept me fueled through the 90-minute vinyasa yoga class I just took. My body is really surprising me in what it can still do. The balancing poses are still going well – Tree, Dancer’s Pose, Warrior 3, etc. are no problem. However, I avoid any kind of bind or deep twist, and my teacher told me when in doubt, squat or do a hip opener. So, I did spend some time squatting today, and I’m still loving Pigeon as always…doing my best to prepare for labor little HEABlet. Can’t wait to meet you! :)

Have a wonderful Friday!

Jessica @ How Sweet October 1, 2010 at 11:24 am

I wonder if I could just do this with a food processor?

HEAB October 1, 2010 at 11:55 am

Jessica,

Yes, I think so. A reader sent me the recipe awhile back. It’s from the cookbook, Mother Necessity Gluten Free/ Casein Free Recipes by Cristin Fergus.

According the original recipe, you can grind the grains in a Vitamix or MiniPrep food processor. Then add water and salt and grind for another minute (If using a Vitamix, all ingredients can be combined and blended at the same time).

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 1, 2010 at 11:25 am

i’ll take one bucket of chocolate heaven please and thank you :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 1, 2010 at 11:31 am

I need to try this. I am wondering if a blender would work? Have you tried chickpea flour (socca)? Really good stuff! Have a great Friday my friend!

HEAB October 1, 2010 at 11:57 am

Sarena,

And no, I still haven’t tried chickpea flour…can you believe it? I really want to and hope to buy some soon. However, that would require a trip to Whole Foods…which does not fit in very well with our new grocery budget. ;)

beccah September 4, 2011 at 4:59 pm

if you think you would use it a lot,you could gte a hand powered grain mill on amazon and grind the beans yourself into flour….i had also heard that you could use a vitamix for this?although you might not have that model or blade,idk.

Shelby October 1, 2010 at 11:41 am

Mmm, this sounds heavenly, I’m adding the ingredients to my grocery list for sure!

Cynthia (It All Changes) October 1, 2010 at 11:44 am

I just got my coupons in the mail for Bed Bath and Beyond so I can buy the most powerful food processor I can find to make this. You’ve convinced me :-)

HEAB October 1, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Cynthia,
My food processor ranks right up there with my Vita-Mix. Definitely a necessity in my kitchen!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 1, 2010 at 11:49 am

That looks DELICIOUS!! I wish I had a vitamix because my blender could not possibly have the power to grind up that rice!!

HEAB October 1, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Chelsey,

Do you have a food processor? A reader sent me the recipe awhile back. It’s from the cookbook, Mother Necessity Gluten Free/ Casein Free Recipes by Cristin Fergus.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 1, 2010 at 12:18 pm

When my food proc bit the dust 3 years ago, I lived without one for a few months, then got a Vita and don’t even own a food proc. I really need to get one JUST so I can make my own homemade coconut butter. And there are a few uses like making jicama & cauli “rice” that I’d like it for; you know real “typical” everything things…LOL

Anyway though…the bread looks divine! I am so surprised that you are getting such amazing results…with rice! Since it doesnt have gluten one would think it may not bind/work well, but clearly, that’s not the case.

And yes, the folks at Artisana may be sorry that we can all make our own homemade coconut butter now, choc-flavored, of course!

Love the recipe!

And as a yoga teacher, I can say that any twisting moves, any times you cross the bellybutton over the midline of the body, no, not good for pregnancy. It compresses the placenta too much and can cut off the supply line too easily. Your teacher’s advice is right on track with the squats and hip openers instead.

HEAB October 1, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Averie,
Good to know I’m doing okay by the HEABlet as far as yoga goes, and I must admit, it’s really nice to always do cat-cow instead of a chaturanga. ;)

No food processor? That’s quite impressive for a high raw vegan…but you seem to be doing just fine with your Vita. :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 1, 2010 at 12:32 pm

That looks amazing!!

melissa @ the delicate place October 1, 2010 at 12:43 pm

i’m impressed with the 90 min yoga sesh this morning, way to go HEAB! i had no idea that those kind of moves were no good for pregnant women. very interesting indeed!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 1, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Pigeon feels amazing right now! I loved being in that pose in yoga today too. And I’m also surprised at still being able to do a lot of balance moves. Nothing crazy, but it feels good to not have to adapt TOO much.

nicole October 1, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I’m assuming the brown rice is raw?
Awesome job with the 90 minute flow! Gosh it’s been a long time since I’ve been to a yoga class. I had to cancel my gym membership and I just can’t afford a yoga membership. And Im’ not good enough to do it on my own. Every time I try doing one of the many yoga DVDs that Dennis has bought me throughout the years (God bless him) I end up making it through 20 minutes of it before I have to give up. I don’t know the poses well enough to keep up! Oh well, with time…and patience…
Have an amazing Friday!! xoxoxo

HEAB October 1, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Hope you have a good Friday as well Nicole. And yes, the brown rice was raw, not cooked. :)

P.S. I used to get so distracted doing yoga at home until I became comfortable with all the poses after taking classes at a studio. Trust me, I get it. :)

eatmovelove October 1, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I can feel the love radiating off the page for the HEABlet – I’m jealous ;) – lucky little girl indeed!

Oh man – I’ve been thinking about making my own bread lately! Something other than muffins ;) . This looks fantastic. How much water do you need to soak it in? Doesn’t matter? And only 23 minutes? What is the texture like – soft, hard…?

I think bread with almond butter (or any butter) and Jam is my ultimate favorite :)

HEAB October 1, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Eatmovelove,
I just used enough water to cover the rice, and the texture of the bread is very moist…almost cake like? I think it’s the coconut oil that really softens it up, and adds so much flavor. Definitely not like any store bought gluten free rice bread I’ve ever tried, which is usually pretty dry.

eatmovelove October 1, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Cakey? Sold! I’m going to try it this weekend hopefully…will let you know how it goes ;)

Clare @ Fitting It All In October 1, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Nice job with the Yoga! I do Bikram and am always impressed with the amount of pregnant women that can complete a whole class (with modifications!) One of my favorite teachers is actually 7 months in!

Also, I am so intrigued by all of your baking experiments. I need to do that more often!

Felicia October 1, 2010 at 1:14 pm

HEAB, you are awesome. First, that bread is genius. Second, you are very inspirational to pregnant (and future pregnant!) women to stay active and continue to eat healthy. Third, homemade chocolate coconut butter? Need I say more?!?

HEAB October 1, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Thanks Felicia. :)

VEGirl October 1, 2010 at 1:39 pm

That looks so yummy and simple! Healthy, too!!! OOhhh, I can’t wait to try it sometime. Thanks, Heather!
VEGirl

HEAB October 1, 2010 at 3:48 pm

VEGirl,
You’re welcome. :)

Megan (Braise The Roof) October 1, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Hmm I never thought of melting any kind of butter in the pan in the oven before- good call! Your baking projects are always so inspirational. :)

Allison Poole October 1, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I’m so excited for you . . . your anticipation for the HEABlet makes me misty eyed and (ALMOST) makes me want to have another baby. Wait ’til she gets here. You will love her more every day!

HEAB October 1, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Allison,
I can’t wait! :)

Justine October 1, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Leave it to yoga and home made bread to start the day off right! I have no idea how you manage to balace in dancer’s pose and warrior III with the HEABlet! I could stay in tree pose for hours though, it’s one of the few that quiets my mind.

Hope you have a good weekend, Miss Heather

HEAB October 1, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Same to you Justine. :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 1, 2010 at 2:28 pm

HEAB this looks great! And thanks for letting me still read even though I don’t like coconut :)

I will definitely be trying this over the weekend.

Stefanie October 1, 2010 at 2:58 pm

That looks even better then the first batch. :) I’m glad to hear you can still be quite active while being pregnant.

Kelly October 1, 2010 at 3:14 pm

That rice bread looks amazing…very dense! YUM! How do you come up with all this stuff? You have got to be the most creative person out there!

HEAB October 1, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Kelly,
Can’t take credit for this one. A reader sent me the original recipe which called for millet a few months back. However, the idea of using brown rice and chocolate…well, I’ll take full credit for that. :)

Katie October 1, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I can admire the chocoate-ness but not the coconut-ness…. ;)

The bread, however, looks great!

My friend’s water broke while doing a hip opener in yoga class!

FoodFitnessFreshair October 1, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Wow, what a wonderful idea. This sounds like a super healthy version of a dessert bread.

Pregnant yoga is so beautiful. I remember teaching my first class with two pregnant students. It was wonderful!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 1, 2010 at 3:31 pm

During training, my teacher told me of this woman who went through Level 2 and 3 training during her 3rd trimester, doing inversions and twists even though she was advised not to..and he baby came out with a knot in it’s umbilical cord. It wasn’t enough to cut off food supply, but it obviously meant it had slipped through it while she was doing the weird moves..thanks goodness it didn’t get wrapped around it’s head or something!! It’s a miracle!

HEAB October 1, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Mary,
Oh gosh…how scary. Definitely no twists for me!

Tyrah October 1, 2010 at 3:35 pm

That bread sounds good! I will be trying that soon, thanks =)
I love that you’re practicing yoga all through your pregnancy!

HEAB October 1, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Thanks Tyrah – me too. :)

Tyrah October 1, 2010 at 3:36 pm

me again ;)
I can just see you practicing Mama Dancer, I love dancer.
rock on HEAB!

Sarah @ BikingNBaking October 1, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Looks delicious! Made some protein ice cream today and thought of you so I gave you and the Heablet a shout out!

You’re always posting inspiring recipes! I’m looking forward to toying with your bread recipe!
-Sarah

Cindy October 1, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Hi Heab!
what a killer recipe. I have been looking for ways to use up my stock of grains and also to vary the the types of carbs we eat!

I am so trying this, this weekend.

sadly, I don’t have a vita-mix (yet) but I do have a processor, a middle of the road blender and a mini-proc.
I’ll just flip a coin and give one of them a go!

Seems your pregnancy is going FAMOUSLY!

good for you!

HEAB October 1, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Cindy,
The original recipe for the bread called for millet. That was good, and the brown rice worked as well. However, my favorite version was made with raw oat groats. Definitely the best! Hope you enjoy experimenting. :) Oh, I also made it with quinoa once…not too bad.

Cindy October 2, 2010 at 11:12 am

Millet is what I ended up soaking!
I am making some this morning!

I’ll let you know how it goes!

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 11:34 am

Cindy,
Yes, keep me posted. :)

Natalia - a side of simple October 1, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I’m thinking that the brown rice works perfectly to complement the whole chocolate overload thing going on there.
Wait… chocolate overload? No such thing. ;)

HEAB October 1, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Natalia,
Definitely so such thing! ;)

Ana October 1, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Wow, another one for me to try, the chocolate brown rice bread looks scrumptious!
I just bought amaranth today to try the other one! :-)
I was going to ask the same thing another reader did, if you had tried chickpea flour, it is so good Heather, I know you will like it. You need to buy it and make socca, it is one of the most delicious things ever, I love socca!!!
If you have an Indian store close to your house stop by and get some chickpea flour, it is usually very cheap at Indian stores (I get mine there, and all types of lentils and delicious spices too! Waaaay cheaper than in other places I tell you)

HEAB October 1, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Ana,
Indian store – roger that. Thanks for the tip as I’m dying to try socca after reading about it on another blog – can’t remember which one. Anyway it looked so good, and the recipe was so simple. Good luck with your amaranth mush. Quite tasty if you ask me. :)

vanillasugar October 1, 2010 at 7:52 pm

ok now that is really interesting….never heard of that but it makes me want to play/create with it.
and i know you are a pancake junkie (like me) soooooo don’t come to my blog’s recent post; it’s all fattening goodness. you’re always so good and i’m so bad. lol

Mary October 1, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Time is ticking quickly, Heather dear. The sweeticums will be here before you know it. I wish you and CD the best!!

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 6:19 am

Mary,
Thank you! She’ll be here before we know it! :)

Caitlin (EatFeats) October 1, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I second (or third) the socca opinion! Yum.

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 6:18 am

Caitlin,
I know – I need to try it. Was it your blog where I first read about socca? I can’t remember.

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas October 2, 2010 at 8:44 am

Somewhere in amongst your links I just found the recipe for homemade chocolate coconut butter! I’m so excited! I have one jar of Cacao Bliss that I got for my birthday, but when it’s gone, it’s gone. I just can’t pay that much plus shipping every time!

Thanks again for sharing the link…I may not have to ration it anymore if I can make my own!!

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 10:59 am

Wendy,
You’re welcome. CD and I loving the homemade version. Very similar to Artisana’s, and I have a feeing it will be a staple in our kitchen. Enjoy! :)

Dana October 2, 2010 at 9:42 am

Can I live off of chocolate??? :P

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 11:00 am

Dana,
I do. :)

Allison October 3, 2010 at 6:37 am

Goodness – does he run or fly???

That time is amazing. I don’t know anything about competitive running, but that’s got to be close to like Kenyan marathon mile times.

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 7:26 am

Allison,
I was always a slow runner, and so according to me, CD flies. :)

eatmovelove October 3, 2010 at 8:26 am

Hey HEAB – would this work with just Brown Rice Flour instead of the soaked rice? Does putting the rice in the Vita only turn it into a flour anyways?…and could you use any oil in place of the coconut?

Thank you!

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 8:39 am

Eatmovelove,
Blending the rice turns it into a real liquidy batter. Not sure if the brown rice flour would work or not – worth a try, and yeah, you can probably use any oil in place of the coconut oil. However, I really recommend coconut as it adds so much flavor. So good!

Samantha October 6, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Kinda reminds me of “chocolate teff pudding” …the recipe from the back of the Teff bag from Bobs Red mill. Have you tried that? Tasty!

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Samantha,
Yes, I have! Another blogger sent me some Bob’s Red Mill teff, and that was one of the first recipes I made with it. Yum!

Namaste Gurl October 7, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Surprisingly–actually NOT, since you temp me always to make your delicious, but wacky recipes :) – I just put the the chocolate rice bread batter into the oven…hope it works out and tastes goo!

Also, I used my blender to mix the rice, water, coco powder and stevia–do you think it works to grind grains well enough? As you know, my blender is not good–No Vitamix on this end, just plain jain Oster blender. I was too lazy to get out my food processor ;)

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Namaste,
Not sure as I’ve never made the bread with any blender but my Vita. Hope it worked!

Emily October 8, 2010 at 10:34 am

Heather, I made this last night and my kids ate some for breakfast this morning. Interestingly, they all thought it was wonderful at the first bite, but two of the three changed their minds after a few more bites and decided not to finish it. Hmmm.

It was way too dense for my taste, too. Is that just what rice “bread” is like? Not bread? ;)

It is possible, too, that I messed it up with the way I made it – I added some chia seeds and a handful of spinach when I was blending the rice. I also used evap. cane juice instead of stevia. Do you think that changed it a lot?

HEAB October 8, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Emily,
Well mine turned out to be more cake-like rather than bread like. It was really moist and got kind of rubbery when I reheated it. I think it’s best eaten fresh. Not sure how the chia seeds would affect the texture – but yeah, that would probably make it more dense. I wouldn’t think the spinach or the evap cane juice would make much of a difference. Hope your next batch goes better!

Andrea March 23, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Just made this! So delicious! I topped mine with nutty spread and bananas and just sat amazed at how some ground up brown rice could morph into a delicious chewy chocolate pancake. nom nom nom

robyn August 2, 2011 at 10:22 am

Should the rice be uncooked or cooked?

HEAB August 2, 2011 at 1:50 pm