Race Day For The Whole Fam

by HEAB on October 2, 2010

Chris and I both participated in the Shelby Bottoms Boogie this morning. CD placed first overall in the 15K (9.3 miles) averaging 5:38 per mile, and I walked the 5K (3.1 miles), averaging 15:46 per mile. I didn’t win, but nor did I finish last. The HEABlet placed first in the -6 weeks to 0 age group category…A good race day had by all! :)

CD likes to eat pizza the last couple of days before any race and had bought himself a couple of individual pepperoni pizzas for dinner on Thursday and Friday nights. Last night, after smelling his pizza cooking, I decided I wanted some too. So, I set about making my own based on ingredients we had on hand, and since today is grocery shopping day, the pickings were slim.

For my crust, I made a flourless crepe with 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites, and 1/4 tsp baking powder. Toppings included tomato paste thinned with water, Italian seasonings, and goat cheese all melted under the broiler. My “pizza” was actually quite tasty…all it needed was a little fresh basil or pesto sauce. Love pesto on my pizza!

After dinner, I fixed myself the usual. I’ve found that if I eat 1/2 cup oat bran cooked with water and topped with nut butter before going to bed, I don’t wake up hungry in the middle of the night, and oat bran seems to be the only thing that works. Rolled oats don’t quite do it for me.

Oat bran with homemade chocolate coconut butter and Naturally Nutty cinnamon cashew butter…slept like a baby! :)

It’s beautiful here in Nashville today, and I can’t wait to get outside this afternoon. However, first I have a fun lunch date with a HEAB reader. See you guys tomorrow for Pancake Sunday. How do you plan to celebrate?

Erica October 2, 2010 at 11:38 am

I ran a race this morning too! I ALMOST ran as fast as CD ;) Glad to hear the heablet won her division ahhaha. Mmm now I want pizza! Pancake Sunday- maybe TJs PB flour pancakes??? Hope you’re feeling well. You look great!

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Erica,
Congrats on your race! And yes, I’m thinking PB flour pancakes as well. :)

Sarah October 2, 2010 at 11:39 am

CONGRATULATIONS to all three of you and your race :) I’m glad the Heablet is making a head start on the racing! Hopefully she’ll come racing out on her birthday.

I might have to try the flourless crepe for a pizza crust. I love using the Jospeh’s pitas for pizza crusts too.

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Thanks Sara…I’m hoping the HEABlet will come racing out a little early. :) I love those Joseph pitas!

Ariffa October 2, 2010 at 11:39 am

CD is FAST!
and your bedtime snack looks re-dic, I need to get on making some chocolate coconut butter. seriously.

Kristina @ spabettie October 2, 2010 at 11:40 am

great job HEABlet on your first race! ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 2, 2010 at 11:42 am

Congrats to all three of you! It is gorgeous here too. We were supposed to go to a fall festive in Suwanee, TN today, but had to cancel since Tony has a lot of work to do. Ugh…no rest for him and it stinks! The pizza looks delicious. I need to try pesto on pizza, I have yet to do that. I love hummus on them though! Enjoy your lunch and the rest of your day! HHHMMM maybe I will roast the other pumpkin for some pumpkin pancakes!

Sarah R October 2, 2010 at 11:43 am

Man, CD is fast! Has he thought about doing Boston? Or has he done it before? How fun that you all got to participate this morning :) Pancake Sunday will be celebrated at Le Peep with some blueberry or banana pancakes. They’ve been calling my name for weeks!

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Sarah R,
No, Chris has never considered Boston…he prefers a fast and flat course, and Boston is too hilly. Hope you enjoy your La Peep pancakes tomorrow!

Marina October 2, 2010 at 11:43 am

Congrats on the race, to all three of you :)
I’m not sure who I admire more:D
Oats before bed are definitely the perfect food. Always makes me sleep tight

Cynthia (It All Changes) October 2, 2010 at 11:47 am

You should frame picture of you two at the race and make a medal for her to hang in her room. :-)

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Cynthia,
I love that idea. :)

Evan October 2, 2010 at 11:51 am

Congratulations! CD is FAST. I feel like I say that every other week; well he never slows down :-)

Katie October 2, 2010 at 11:56 am

You guys are awesome! It will be such an opportunity for the HEABlet to grow up in a family that sets a great example for valuing health. I read that you used to come out to Colorado for vacations; if you ever take a trip back out here , we would be happy to retrain those hiking legs!

Can’t wait to make some quinoa bread tomorrow using your amaranth “mush” method : )

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Katie,
Here is a photo of the quinoa bread: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/kabocha-squash-butter/. Enjoy and thanks for your kind words. We definitely hope to make it back to Colorado someday. I want the HEABlet to breathe in some of that fresh mountain air. We love your state! :)

Alisa October 2, 2010 at 12:09 pm

It was nice to meet you this morning!

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Alisa,
Yes, thanks so much for introducing yourself and for reading my blog. Congrats on your race this morning! :)

Melissa October 2, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I didn’t know about that race and I passed it going the other way. I do my weekly long run every Saturday there. Congrats !

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Melissa,
How funny – small world. I bet we saw you! :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 2, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Wow. I can’t believe how FAST your husband is. Unbelievable!

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Samantha,
I know – I have a hard time believing it myself. :)

grocery goddess jen October 2, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Wow! CDs time is so impressive! And of course you and the HEABlet rocked, it too, congrats!

Mmmm, I love oat bran!

Amy H October 2, 2010 at 12:30 pm

To repeat what everyone above me has said: wow! CD is FAST!!! Does he ever run more competitively, like in bigger races? Seems he could get a sponsorship or something with times like that. I am seriously impressed. And congrats to you and the heablet for finishing your 5k!

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Amy H,
No, CD just runs for fun. It’s really hard to get sponsorships – they’re mostly for professional runners, and CD isn’t fast enough. That being said, he always amazes me with his speed, and I love seeing him race. Maybe HEAB could sponsor him! ;)

Mama Pea October 2, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Way to go, Superstar!
I hope you guys enjoy the rest of your day! We are seeing Jack Johnson tomorrow night, so I think Banana Pancakes have to be on the menu for Pancake Sunday, right?

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Mama Pea,
Yes, banana pancakes. Definitely. Enjoy your concert – I love Jack Johnson! :)

Matt October 2, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Wow he is FAST. Props to CD ;)

Lauren at KeepItSweet October 2, 2010 at 12:59 pm

wow, CD is amazingly fast!

eatmovelove October 2, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Wow, CD is fast. And, uh – so is your walking pace Pregnant Lady! Yipes – I’m way over that! Hah.

Oh goodness, this all looks so good. Nothing beats a real, good old-fashioned thin-crust doughy pizza for me…;) but your “crepes” are admirable – have you thought about adding grinded zucchini or cauliflower to it? I’ve seen that done before.

Oat bran is good. But I find oats are bigger and seem more filling like. Meh, who knows, I usually just combine the two. As long as there’s nut butter and jam, who’s comparing?! :)

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Eatmovelove,
I’ve seen recipe for zucchini pizza crusts, but never tried them. Perhaps I will soon…and we all know that the oats are really just a vehicle for the toppings. ;)

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan October 2, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Jeezus CHR!$# he is fast! Congratulations on the win!

MMM, I love saucy pizzas with little-or-no cheese. That’s how they make ‘em in Italy, I was pleased to find! :D

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Amber,
Nothing like a simple pizza from Italy – changed my whole mindset on what a pizza should be! Best pizza I ever ate was nothing but a thin crust with pesto in a tiny little village on the Italian coast. I’ll never forget it!

Jenny M October 2, 2010 at 1:16 pm

So good to see you guys this morning! Congrats to you both!! :)

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Thanks so much Jenny. The race went really well – thanks for all your hard work in organizing it. Seemed like a huge field of runners this year – so congrats to you as well! :)

Melissa @ TryingToHeal October 2, 2010 at 1:20 pm

whew! CD is FAST! congrats to him! and to you and the -let for finishing too!!!

Carolyn October 2, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Good foraging Heab!… I am trying to embrace the once a week grocery shopping… The Saturday grocery store crawl we can call it…

And if you have a nutritional emergency in between Saturdays CD can run out to the grocery store for you… very QUCIKLY, apparently… ;-)

I know you loved it here in Michigan but such a beautiful day there… Here near Ann Arbor today.. not so much…

The Heablet= Fleet. Fetal. Feet.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 2, 2010 at 1:36 pm

5:38 per mile ??!! Omg I think he’s part gazelle, part human. That is incredible!!!!

But actually being 35 weeks pregnant, give or take, and just even getting out of bed is incredible. Doing a race in the semi-heat and walking and finishing…you rock! Way to go, Heather!

I love the -6 to 0 terminology. That is so cute! And it just reminded me of when I was about 34 ish weeks pregnant, and just waiting for the days to tick down from -6 to -3 to due date! I made it to -2. She came two weeks early :) As Scott says, both the girls in this house have no patience :)

Enjoy Sunday with your gazelle!!!

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Averie,
I’m hoping the HEABlet arrives a wee bit early…we’re just so anxious to meet her!

S @ extremebalance.net/blog October 2, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Browsing the comments, I thought “really? We think 5.38 is fast?” And then I went back to the post and it registered in my feeble Canadian brain: 5.38 per MILE is way different than 5.38 per KILOMETRE. I’m on board: CD for the win!

Maren October 2, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Congrats to you and CD! Wow he is lightning fast! :) It is beautiful here in Omaha, too!

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Maren,
Hope you enjoyed some sunshine today! :)

alex October 2, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Congratulations you two! Yay!

Guess what, I finally picked up some oat bran today! I can’t wait to try it :)

And I guess I celebrated pancake sunday a day early-pancake saturday? I am enjoying some brown-rice flour pb&j cakes as I type…

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Alex,
Love oat bran. Hope you enjoy it, and how do you make your brown rice flour pancakes? I’ve got a bag of brown rice flour in the freezer and have never used it.

Alex October 3, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I really change my recipe every time I make pancakes, but the basic recipe is brown rice flour, coconut milk, baking powder, salt, egg, and any toppings I like (blueberries, bananas and cinnamon, mixed frozen berries, peanut butter and cocoa powder). It works just like regular flour, except it is a little bit more dry. So I would add some oil or applesauce, too.

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Alex,
Sounds easy enough – thanks for sharing. :)

homecookedem October 2, 2010 at 2:49 pm

WOW! CD is amazing!! And you are pretty amazing too for being fit and healthy enough to still complete a 5K at this point in your pregnancy! So proud of you and HEABlet!! :) Put those feet up now!! :)

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Em,
Check. Feet up. :)

Little Bookworm October 2, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Congratulations to all of you on the race! :D That oat bran looks lovely, and I love pesto on pizza too!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 2, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Congrats to all three of you :) Super yay for HEABlet finishing first!! ;)

Katie October 2, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Woah – only 6 more weeks?!?! Wow, that flew by…for me anyway. :)

You’ve got one seriously fast husband!

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Katie,
After the first trimester, the time has flown by for us as well. Still thinking about your friend’s water breaking during a hip opener…I think that would make a great “When I went into labor” story. ;)

Lori October 2, 2010 at 3:45 pm

My 12 year old had a cross country meet today and the high schoolers ran first. I was amazed at how fast they ran until I saw CD’s time! Wow, he is a GAZELLE!! Glad you were able to get out there and enjoy the weather and walk!

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Thanks Lori, and I hope the cross country meet went well!

Tracey October 2, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Great race to both of you!!!
We celebrated pancake sunday today with vegan buckwheat pumpkin pancakes- good but could have used more pumpkin and some pp spice.
Happy Saturday!!!
PS… now i am totally craving pizza
PPS…love your land of nod bedding, we are getting our peep’s there as well… the all a flutter theme :)

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Tracey,
The butterfly themed bedding? I LOVE those colors! Your nursery will look adorable. :)

Alyssa October 2, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Great job to all of you!

Deborah October 2, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Congratulations to all of you!! That’s a beautiful after race photo.

Mmmm I have to try that egg crepe as soon as I get some more pastured eggs. And I really really want to make the chocolate coconut butter. My two favorite things combined!

You have the greatest recipes!!

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Thanks Deborah. Enjoy your flourless crepe…it will be really good slathered in chocolate coconut butter!

Samantha October 2, 2010 at 5:36 pm

You two are the perfect couple! :) Congrats to CD…wow…that’s just lightning fast! And to the HEABlet who is getting an early start. ;)

As always, your food of late is making my mouth water!

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Samantha,
Good to know…my job as a food blogger is complete. :)

christina cadden October 2, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Looks like you guys had a great time!

Maren October 2, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I celebrated pancake sunday today with pumpkin spice pancakes that were amazing! my bf even drove the 30 minutes to my house on a whim when he found out I was making them. congrats on your race this morning.

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Maren,
Those must have been some good pancakes…sounds like the perfect fall breakfast. :)

Natalie October 2, 2010 at 7:02 pm

CD is so fast!!! way to go all of you : ) pizza and oat bran look v good. pizza would be good w humnut sauce!

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Natalie,
Yes, I thought about the humnut sauce, but I have no tahini! Guess I could have just done some Hummy Mustard instead. :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit October 2, 2010 at 7:15 pm

I had NO idea your husband was such a runner! Go CD! How fun to do a race together :-)

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Thanks Annie, Yes, CD is fast! I love watching him race. So proud of my hubby. :)

Nicole October 2, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Holy cow CD runs races in just over half of the time I do!! lol You said he doesn’t eat a lot of carbs (minus his pizzas pre race day) I never asked if that has helped him trim fat/gain muscle and improve his run time. Does he ever race professionally? (would he laugh at me for asking that? Lol)
Great job on your walk!! I’m sure the HEABlet was happy!
Oh my goodness the weather here in Northern VA was absolutely perfect today too. I love fall!

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Nicole,
No, CD would not laugh at you as he’s gotten that question before. As fast as he may be, he is not speedy enough to race professionally. :(

As far as eating fewer carbs goes, it’s definitely helped him trim fat – (although he never had much to begin with) and gain some muscle. His race times have basically remained the same. For CD, eating a lower carb diet was a health decision – he just feels better overall eating that way, regardless of how it affects his running.

Ida October 2, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Wow, CD’s a machine! I would love to read a post about his running. Looks like a fun family morning:)

HEAB October 2, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Ida,
Here are a few posts I’ve done about CD:

These posts are more about how he fuels himself, but they do include a bit of his running. Thanks for reading! :)

Marty October 3, 2010 at 2:58 am

Heather, you look fantastic! That HEABlet is going to come running out and give you two a run for your money! You’ve got her started early! Yeah! CD, congratulations! My husband used to run that fast, now prob 6 min mile, they gave to for work, run and stay in shape to fight forest fires.

Breakfast? I’m soaking the rice to try your rice cake, though it make turn into a rice pancake? Agh, I think that’s too much work early Sunday morn figuring that one out. My husband said he’d have it cooked for hot cereal for hreakfast. I’ll have a Van’s Gluten-free, Dairy-Free waffle toasted slathered with mashed ripe avocado and sea salt…still haven’t found the waffle iron I want to buy yet. Anyone have any suggestions? Happy Pancake Sunday (in spirit)!

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 7:39 am

Marty,
Truth be told, I skipped out on Pancake Sunday. :) Hope the rice panacke/hot cereal turned out, and your waffle sounds perfect to me. At first bite, I thought the Van’s waffles were a bit funky, but then discovered that if I thawed them in fridge overnight before toasting, they were much better. And honestly, slather anything with avocado, and I’m sure I’d love it! I received my waffle iron from a friend, but I’ve heard even the cheap ones from Target do a good job. Happy Sunday! :)

Marty October 4, 2010 at 4:00 am

Heather – well – I didn’t make the pancake! I mixed the cooked rice with leftover stirfried veggies (similiar to yours) and it was a delish breakfast – actually had the same for lunch with the Van waffle and avo! My husband, David, had the rice with Coconut Milk (bought, not made yet! ;-/ ) and a little honey, he liked it. I would’ve added some cinnamon and cardamom though.

We have a lovely antique electric waffle iron that Dave’s Mom gave us 5 years ago that “blew” and I’ve not found someone to service it. I’ll look at a Target in Asheville, as I’m heading there this week, just in time to miss the snow due here by the end of the week (I hope not!).

Hope your Sunday was Happy!

I got my lawn mowed, beds ready for winter – yeah! – it’s always a relief!

HEAB October 4, 2010 at 7:12 am

Marty,
First snow? That’s wild! And yes, cinnamon and cardamom in definitely necessary in coconut milk rice. David missed out. ;) Have a wonderful trip to NC!

Annie October 3, 2010 at 7:13 am

CD is smokin’ HOT! hehe… seriously, dang that’s faaaaast.. he must have gone to college on a track scholarship!

I too wake up in the middle of the night starving… uhhhh but I’m not pregnant, I’m perimenopausal – ugh. I am soooo going to try your triple B threat (bran before bed!).. thanks for the idea!

Blog on!
Annie

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 7:36 am

Annie,
CD did run in college – at Wake Forest, but he was a walk on. No scholarship. I swear by oat bran at night – makes a world of difference, and I hope it helps you!

amber@SAHM's musings October 3, 2010 at 8:23 am

Wow a 5k! Near the end of my pregnancies I didn’t want to do much except float in a swimming pool! Way to go! You’re already setting a great example for your little HEABlet ;-)

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 8:40 am

Thanks Amber. :)

rachael October 3, 2010 at 8:33 am

Congrats to all 3 of you on an awesome race!

melissa @ the delicate place October 3, 2010 at 8:54 am

congrats HEAB, HEABlet & CD on your impressive times!! i eat before bed time too, my fave is pumpkin swirled into some dairy free ice cream with a few chopped nuts on top. i’m planning on having pumpkin pancakes today since it is absolutely freezing in my house right now…63F!! i had to sleep with socks on in the middle of the night and a hoodie haha. i think i’m going to be having a talk with Nate about turning our oil on!!

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 9:28 am

Melissa,
Haha – sounds like our house at night. I cannot sleep if I’m hot or even warm. I like it to be freezing cold and to bundle all up in my down comforter. Only way I can sleep! Not sure what I’ll do when the baby gets here and we have to keep the house warmer at night…perhaps I’ll just have to start eating ice-cream with pumpkin before bed. ;)

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun October 3, 2010 at 10:41 am

Jeez, CD is FAST! Congrats to CD, you, and the HEABlet! :-)

Penny Lane October 3, 2010 at 11:37 am

I thought of you yesterday as I prepared my Pancake Saturday double ginger pancakes. Ginger with Crystalized ginger chips. They were mightly tasty, I love banana bread though, I add some dark choco chips then toast it and slap some peanut butter on it. Perfect Breakfast.

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Penny Lane,
Another blogger sent me the following banana bread recipe, and it has your name written all over it. :)

Penny Lane October 3, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Oh thank you! How perfect with chocolate and ginger. ( I love chocolate covtered ginger) Since I am home cooking today I think that one of my snacks this week will be banana bread, specifically this banana bread.
Thanks for sharing!

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Penny Lane,
Thought you might like that one – enjoy! :)

Amanda B. October 3, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Congrats on the race! As a pseudo-insomniac (read: night owl with a morning job), I know if I eat a little bit of a carb-ier meal before bed, I tend to sleep better. So maybe that’s where the oat bran is helping out?

Amanda

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Amanda,
Yeah, I think so. I need those carbs before bed – definitely only thing that helps. I’ve tried protein-type snacks, but nothing works like a big bowl of oat bran. Think I’ll stick with that. :)

Namaste Gurl October 3, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Mmm, that may not be no “real pizza” (ahem, processed pizza crust, etc.) but it looks pretty dang tasty, healthy and easy so I may have to try that “crepe like pizza” :)

Wow, yay for you hubby–how exciting. Props to the both of you, regardless of time :)

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Namaste Gurl,
What is the “may have to try that” stuff all about. You MUST try it! ;)

Hands in Namaste October 4, 2010 at 7:48 am

Congrats HEAB and HEABLET ;-) And CD!

Clare @ Fitting It All In October 4, 2010 at 10:46 am

I used to eat oatmeal EVERY NIGHT before bed! The warm carbs helped me sleep:) I stopped because I thought my oatmeal tradition/addiction was getting a little crazy and hard to maintain, but sometimes I still do it for the memories:)

HEAB October 4, 2010 at 10:52 am

Clare,
I do the same thing and sometimes think I’m eating way too much oatmeal, like if I have a big bowl for breakfast and then another post dinner, but then I think nah, no such thing as too much! :) So, keep enjoying those memories. :)

Kayla @ Let's Live Wholesome October 4, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Okay, I have issues with oats, too! When I eat regular ol’ rolled oats, they sit like a brick in my stomach forever. Oat bran, on the other hand, fills me up just right. Strange! Glad I’m not alone :-)

HEAB October 4, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Kayla,
Nope, you’re definitely not alone. I’d choose oat bran over the rolled variety any day. My belly definitely prefers them. :)