My New Pop-Tart

by HEAB on October 3, 2010

I know, I know, it’s Pancake Sunday, but I simply wasn’t feeling it. Yesterday, I felt slightly off all morning but just figured it was due to getting up so early. Prior to my 5K walk, I ate a granola parfait, and then when we got home, I had a little dark chocolate. By lunch time, I was starving and so excited to meet Jill, HEAB reader and friend, for lunch at Marche.

Jill moved to Nashville over the summer, and we’ve met up a few times. Jill, I’m so glad you’re here…and not just because you’re always willing to go get frozen yogurt with me…although that makes you a really good friend to have! ;)

Jill ordered 2 Fried Eggs with Crispy Prosciutto On Creamy Falls Mill Polenta & Grated Pecorino Cheese, and I chose the Bistro Steak with 2 Eggs, Boulangere Potatoes, & Worcestershire Reduction but subbed greens for the potatoes.

IMG_6143.JPG IMG_6145.JPG

Lunch was great, and I ate every bite. Jill was kind enough to make CD and I some of her homemade banana bread, and when I arrived home, I immediately cut myself a little piece…and later on, I ended up eating more for dinner. Jill, the bread needs nothing! So good all on its own. My mom’s banana bread was always my favorite, but honestly, I think this is the best banana bread I’ve ever eaten. Sorry mom – no one will ever be able to beat your Texas Chocolate Cake! :)

Anyway, last night, I felt like I was back in my first trimester, and this has happened a few times this past week, always in the evenings. I read that the same hormones that trigger nausea during those first few months can return during the 3rd trimester. Last night was bad, and all I wanted was Jill’s banana bread and a small bowl of oat bran. I felt better this morning but still a bit off – so more banana bread to the rescue…plus a mug of warm HEABified coconut milk with cocoa.

IMG_6148.JPG IMG_6149.JPG

During my first trimester, cold cereal, Pop-Tarts, turkey dogs, and goat cheese were my 4 major food groups, and I actually found myself dreaming of a toasted frosted brown sugar cinnamon Pop-Tart this morning. However, the banana bread did the trick. Thanks again Jill! If pregnancy has taught me anything, it’s that sometimes you should just give into your cravings. I was so scared that if I ate the foods I really wanted that I would gain way too much weight, but I haven’t. Pregnancy is definitely NOT something to fear, and trust me, the thought of all the changes that would occur in my body used to scare me to death. However, I have to say that despite the ups and downs, growing a little HEABlet inside my belly has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life, Pop-Tart cravings and all. :)

What’s your favorite banana bread recipe?

VeggieGirl October 3, 2010 at 8:43 am

I’m hesitant to admit it (since you know where I stand now, haha ;) ), but I love adapting the banana bread recipe from Veganomicon.

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 11:13 am

VeggieGirl,
I’ve heard really good things about that banana bread recipe. :)

Josie October 3, 2010 at 8:46 am

very sweet post! my favorite banana bread is the flour’s bakery recipe from foodnetwork.com. of course, i alter it a little by using peanut butter in place of oil and a little more buttermilk/sour cream here and there. OH, and i add chocolate chips. and i underbake it so it’s gooey on top. not sure if that’s safe, but it’s so good i just risk it. haven’t baked it in a while because i tend to eat it all myself!

here’s the recipe:

happy Sunday!

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 9:13 am

Josie,
Gooey on top…sounds good to me! Thanks for sharing the recipe – love the addition of chocolate chips. :)

homecookedem October 3, 2010 at 8:50 am

Totally agree with you about pregnancy! It has been the BEST thing to ever happen to me!! :) It’s put so much into perspective for me and my relationship with food has improved by leaps and bounds!! Though now when I eat a few oreos for bedtime… instead of worrying about the calories and fat and whether or not I’ll gain weight, instead I hope I didn’t eat too much sugar and cause the baby to go into some kind of sugar shock!!

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 9:15 am

Em,
I know – the HEABlet is definitely the best thing that ever happened for all my food rules, and I’m so much happier with the way I eat now. :)

eatmovelove October 3, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Gosh, I love that you said that – “I’m so much happier with the way I eat now”.

Makes me happy :)

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 10:51 pm

EML,
Me too. :)

Kate October 3, 2010 at 8:53 am

My favorite Banana Bread is this one from Shauna Ahern (aka Gluten Free Girl):

I think you should follow up with dinner @ Rumba…my brother Charles bartends there & the food is amazing:)

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 9:17 am

Kate,
I love Rumba – it’s in walking distance of my house, and I’m actually supposed to meet up with a friend for dinner there soon. Thanks for reminding me I should call her. :) So cool your brother works there. Let me know if you’re ever in town for a visit! P.S. Thanks for the recipe link.

Kate October 3, 2010 at 9:27 am

Awesome!! If you see Charles, tell his his sister Kate sent you:) I visited Nashville in May…wonderful city!

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 9:29 am

Kate,
Will do! :)

rachael October 3, 2010 at 8:56 am

Pregnancy and motherhood are incredible. It’s been really fun to read all about yours:.)

christina cadden October 3, 2010 at 8:59 am

All that food is making me hungry!

Halley October 3, 2010 at 8:59 am

Growing a HEABlet, how sweet!? I really appreciate your perspective on food and pregnancy. Although I’m several years from walking in those shoes, I do wonder how my body would respond. Your candidness and honesty about the ups and down are really reassuring.

eatmovelove October 3, 2010 at 9:08 am

I recently made a Banana Bread – but I’m looking for a good recipe, so this came at perfect timing!

…what’s Jill’s recipe? Top-secret?! It looks good.

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 9:19 am

Eatmovelove,

Jill sent me the recipe in case anyone should ask…

Best Ever Banana Bread (from Taste of Home)

1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (1 cup)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts

Directions

In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, bananas, oil, buttermilk and vanilla; add to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Fold in nuts.
Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 325° for 1 hour 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf

My only real changes are that

1) I sometimes use 1/2 brown and 1/2 white sugar-that was what I did with your loaf. I think it makes it have a very slight caramel taste? But it’s really good with all white too
2) I never use a full cup of chopped walnuts. Some people who ate it told me that it was better with some raisins or choc. chips too. I usually use 3/4 c.-1 c. of some combo of walnuts, raisins, and choc. chips
3) This isn’t a change per se, but I wouldn’t recommend using whole wheat flour to replace even less than 1/2 of the flour. And even if it’s white whole wheat. It was still *good* with the switch but not as amazing as it usually is. And the wheat-y taste came through a little too much.

eatmovelove October 3, 2010 at 6:50 pm

I know – WW flour can really “weigh” a bread down. Thanks for the recipe! Is there any way to make regular milk a “butter-milk”? ;) …I though I heard adding vinegar before? – I’ll google it…

Emily October 3, 2010 at 7:26 pm

You can make regular milk buttermilk by adding a splash of vinegar and letting it sit a minute or two. (I usually do about a tsp of vinegar per cup of milk.)

HEAB October 4, 2010 at 10:47 am

Eatmovelove,
Yes, add 1 TBSP vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup milk/nut milk and allow to sit for 5 minutes.

Lauren October 7, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Hi HEAB!

So if I want to replace the eggs with flax, do I still use the same amount of oil??

Thanks!

Laurmigs@yahoo.com

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Lauren,
Yes, I would.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? October 3, 2010 at 9:09 am

My grandma used to make a banana bread with grated chocolate in it that I have yet to recreate… I may need to dig through the old recipes and find it, that is, once we have an oven :)

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 9:20 am

Mara,
Um, yes you do, and then once you find it, please email it to me. :) What happened to your oven?

Mara @ What's For Dinner? October 3, 2010 at 9:28 am

I most definitely will! It’s the BEST! Our oven… well, it was a little broken, and it got fixed for about an hour yesterday, and then it blew up. Literally, bang, pow, smoke now it doesn’t work at all kind of blew up… super fun while cooking for my project food blog challenge. I made it work though!

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 9:30 am

Mara,
Yeah, you had me at “grated chocolate”. ;) So sorry about the oven – sounds like a mess. Hope it gets fixed soon!

Julie October 3, 2010 at 9:15 am

I wish I had your perspective on food and pregnancy weight gain! I’m only 15 weeks and I just stress constantly because my body just wants to put on weight at a faster rate than I’m comfortable with. Everybody is different though and pregnancy is a really wonderful experience despite the body image stuff.

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 9:22 am

Hang in there Julie – I got nervous in my 2nd trimester as my appetite was completely out of control somedays. However, I just tried going with my cravings without going overboard. Everything seemed to balance out in the end. :)

Kim October 3, 2010 at 9:17 am

Well, you know I think I was the one who put the Pop Tarts evilness and Arby’s in your head (hee hee!) Got me thru the first trimester for sure! Bought the Costco size Pop Tart box along with strange looks from husband. Never did finish that box! Most likely a good thing! Toss in all the other junk I told you about. I was one of those freaks of nature that could not gain weight and neither could the baby, which is why she was born @ 32 1/2 weeks. It all worked out in the end and she is a happy 8 yr old healthy eating girl now, who just embraced rock climbing last night, crazy right?!

Even with all the junk I ate ( for the first time ever in my life mind you) during pregnancy, Bella does not crave sugar nor is she addicted to junk or sugar. Last night I offered her up a leftover vegan cupcake I made for her class on Friday. I mean she spent 3 hrs rock climbing, figured she was still hungry. Nope, she wanted some goat cheese and an apple. Is this a 8yr? Again, good habits bring on good choices. All the treats are available to her should she want them ( I do not want to make any food a “forbidden” food), Bella just chooses now what her tiny taste buds are craving. Seems like more wholesome foods are the choice. More recently, she is not liking meat, any meat. I am a vegan as you know, and dabble with semi raw. Poor Fred may be the only carnivore left as even our pets do vegan pet food because of their allergies!

Sounds like those pesky hormones are up to something. I think a full moon is near, you know what they say about those full moons and pregnancy right? Sounds like the HEABlet might be making her grand entrance soon….SO exciting! Can’t wait for you all to make a visit back here to AZ!

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 9:24 am

Kim,
You have no idea how much you helped me through those first few months – you made me feel normal, and all your advice/emails meant so much to me. Thanks again for all your encouragement. We WILL meet in person someday, and I can’t wait. :)

Kim October 3, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Heather-

You helped me realized ALOT as well. I am falling back in love with yoga again and realizing I dont need to be so hard on myself and do something I really enjoy!

marla {family fresh cooking} October 3, 2010 at 9:19 am

Amazing how our mind set changes over time. Yes, being preggers will teach you a lot of things about what to let go of & what to cling to. Sometimes it is essential to give into cravings :) xo

sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 3, 2010 at 9:22 am

I warned you about those poptarts…they call to you! Just wait till you start nursing and you eat 2 almost everytime you nurse. I know I sound gross, but I seriously “needed” them! Brown sugar was my favorite! Frosted shredded wheat was my other weakness…I ate them dry too for the crunch. I love banana bread muffins. I developed a recipe with buckwheat and brown sugar that I love! Buckwheat gives baked goods such a great texture.

I hope you are feeling well today! Enjoy your Sunday!

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 9:26 am

Sarena,
Yes, I was telling someone the other day about your Pop-Tarts and handfuls of frosted mini-wheats after nursing. The image of it just makes me laugh. I can only imagine what I’ll be eating at 2 AM in a few months! Hehe. I have buckwheat flour in the freezer…I think it might be time to experiment! P.S. Looked up and down in the Indian section of my Asian Mkt. yesterday for chickpea flour, but couldn’t find any. So, will pick some up next trip to Whole Foods.

Carolyn October 3, 2010 at 9:34 am

This cookbook… “Eet SmakeliiK”…(eat well and with taste)

Published by the Holland Michigan Junior Welfare League… I got my copy in 1981…the 1976 printing.. This blue and white gem of a cookbook, with little drawings of dutch kids in wooden shoes.. has been, for some unknown reason, my mainstay for good ole recipes.. I know exactly where the banana bread recipe is cause the pages are all stuck together.. And Heather yes.. the calores are penciled in next to all the ingredients..Nothing remarkable.. Just good with lots of butter, sugar real eggs and banana in a wonderful combination…

Some day i might even make the stroop koekjes,

Gaby October 3, 2010 at 9:59 am

I made a single serve pb banana bread in the microwave last night that was incredible! I just mixed about 1/4 cup peanut floud, a mashed banana, some baking soda, and HEABified coconut milk and microwaved for about 5 minutes, then topped it with maple syrup and strawberries. PARTY for the tastebuds! I’m also hoping my parents still have some browning bananas in their fridge I saw there a few days ago because I’m going to visit and was thinking of throwing together a loaf with orange juice. I’m not good at sticking to recipes though so I usually just throw things together and cross my fingers while it bakes.

I make homemade poptarts sometimes, send me your address and I can mail you some!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 3, 2010 at 10:09 am

Hope the morning sickness feeling goes away soon. The ending was so cute..I love that you said pregnacy’ss not something to fear because so many women think they’ll gain tons of weight and never be able to get rid of it. But really, it seems like if you keep up an active lifestyle and listen to your body like always..you’ll be just fine :)

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 11:06 am

Mary,
Yep, just fine. :)

Katie @ peacebeme October 3, 2010 at 10:11 am

All the lessons you have learned and shared through your pregnancy have been so inspiring to me, even though I don’t want to have kids for a long time, and may just adopt anyway.

I’m from Denver and the Broncos play the Titans today. Don’t know if you are in to football but I used to live in Nashville when my boyfriend was stationed at Fort Campbell so I am excited to watch the game. ;)

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 11:07 am

Katie,
Yes, CD was watching some interviews regarding the game between the Titans and Broncos last night. It will definitely be on in our house today!

Annie@stronghealthyfit October 3, 2010 at 10:16 am

Great post! So glad pregnancy has been a good experience for you overall. I love banana bread with walnuts!

Erin October 3, 2010 at 10:24 am

I need to create a grain-free banana bread reipe! I’ve made great zucchini muffins with coconut and pecan flours, so I foresee success!

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 11:08 am

Erin,
Once you do, please send me the recipe. :)

Erin October 3, 2010 at 11:11 am

I definitely will:-)

Ana October 3, 2010 at 10:36 am

My favorite banana bread is one I adapted from a couple recipes. I make it frequently as the boys here love it and sometimes I make them as muffins so it is easy to freeze! (http://kitchenspace.blogspot.com/2006/07/banana-bread-this-is-one-of-my.html).
Matheus likes it with chocolate chips, my husband with raisins and nuts, so I vary the ins around here.I like it best with nuts and choc chips!
But even more than the banana bread I like the recipe for Banana Bran muffins I have on my blog, and your recipe for almond butter banana muffins, those are the best!
Funny you mentioned feeling off at this point of your pregnancy, I had the same thing when I was pregnant. The last couple months were like that, especially at night (which opposed the awful feeling I used to have mostly in the mornings during the first trimester – although people say morning sickness but to me it was an “all day sickness” on the first three months…).
What I felt the most during the last couple months of the pregnancy was that even though sometimes I was hungry I wasn’t able to eat much at a time, it always seemed like my stomach was full and I had frequent nausea to. I even hadn’t gain any weight on my 8th month checkup and they took me for an emergency ultrasound to see if the baby was ok (it freaked me out as the lady would not say a thing and she would not let me look at the monitor…). My belly was huge and the baby was occupying all the space inside of it so my stomach was pretty much squished in there, reason why I couldn’t eat much and was feeling nausea.
One thing though is that I started having light contractions on my 7th month and it lasted all the way until when I got into labor (when they truly intensified). I went to the hospital and spent an entire day plugged to machines to see the progression of those light contractions, but even though I was having them every 10 minutes (yep, for two months…) they didn’t seem to be the worrying kind. So these contractions also gave me said nausea and indisposition. But in the end it all turned out well, so I cannot complain.
And I totally agree, having a baby growing inside us is the most wonderful feeling one can have. I think pregnancy and motherhood are the most amazing things in my life, I am blessed to have a child, to be a mom, and to feel that love every single day.
I am so happy to see you are enjoying your pregnancy Heather! There are times when being pregnant can be uncomfortable, but I think it is worth every single second of nausea and all that comes along!

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 11:12 am

Ana,
Thanks so much for the encouragement! Yes, I never understood why it was called “morning sickness” as I had it all day long those first few months. Nights were the worst, and I actually usually felt okay in the mornings. I know my stomach is getting squished, and so when I eat too much I feel nauseous. So, I’m just trying to eat smaller portions, be even with that, been feeling kind of gross this week. Can’t believe you had contractions every 10 minutes for the last 2 months…however, sounds like it was all worth it in the end. :)

Natalia - a side of simple October 3, 2010 at 10:38 am

Heather, you look simply beautiful! You’re truly embodying so much that is good about being pregnant. As a young woman I feel like it gets a bad rep so much and that it’s an excuse for down playing yourself (if that makes any sense..) but you are doing a fantastic job.

Um and one more thing. Can you talk to the frozen yogurt guys and tell them to work their way up to NY and New England already? K thanks :)

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 11:12 am

Thanks so much Natalie, and yes, I will definitely talk to the fro-yo guys for you. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 3, 2010 at 11:20 am

Cinnamon Sugar poptarts were by far my favorite kind when I was younger! I made a blueberry banana bread this summer that was out of this world (and it was gluten free/vegan!). I highly reccomend it!

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 11:24 am

Chelsey,
You can’t leave a comment like without sharing the recipe! ;)

Amber from Berlinswhimsy October 3, 2010 at 11:27 am

My very favorite Banana Bread Recipe (and I have a lot of ‘em) is from Molly at the Orangette blog, in her book: A Homemade Life. It’s so yummy!!

Hang in there during this last portion of your pregnancy. I felt a little sick from time to time during the last part, too. But, before you know it, she’ll be here! :-)

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Amber. :)

S @ extremebalance.net/blog October 3, 2010 at 11:30 am

From the “Looneyspoons” cookbook, it’s called “Gone Bananas”, and it aims for lower fat… by subbing yogurt for the oil. Because of the smooshed bananas, yogurt-ing the oil doesn’t take any moisture out of it, and it adds some nutrients. I like to make a lower-fat bread so that when I whack a little butter / almond butter / coconut butter on top, it’s still a manageable number of calories. Also, like you, I half the sugar in my baking, but then toss in chocolate chips and blueberries to this recipe to make up for it. :)

In spite of this banana bread love-in, I *do* feel like pancakes this morning… off to the griddle!

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 12:34 pm

S,
Dark chocolate chips instead of sugar – always a good sub in my opinion! :)

Katie October 3, 2010 at 11:43 am

I just posted a recipe for banana chocolate chip mini-muffins on Friday! They are so good, and the perfect size for just popping into your mouth. And, gluten free.

I don’t have a favorite recipe, actually. Everytime I make banana bread, I do it a little differently. There is always cinnamon involved though. :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 3, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I don’t have the recipe, but my mother in law makes THE BEST banana bread. I’m sure its just a Betty Crocker recipe or something from a church cookbook :)

Heather you look so beautiful in the first photo! You definitely have a mother’s glow! And as much as I love brown sugar poptarts — a piece of banana bread would be waaaaaay better!

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Thanks so much Holly, and as far as Betty Crocker goes, I’ve never tried one of her recipes that did not taste amazing! :)

Emily October 3, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Sorry that you aren’t feeling well again :( Thanks to good friends that make good food you’ll hopefully be doing better in no time :) I am actually in search of a new banana bread recipe; I’ll have to let you know when I find one :)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com October 3, 2010 at 1:10 pm

banana bread is quite a powerful remedy for nausea or upset tummies. especially since bread can neutralize the power of stomach acids and the potassium in the bananas is supposed to help hydrate and soothe at the same time. bet ur feeling MUCH better!! <3

XOXO

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Kelsey,
It’s funny, but whenever I’m nauseous, I always crave warm pita bread as it always sounds so comforting, but maybe it’s just b/c my stomach acid needs neutralizing. Good to know. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 3, 2010 at 2:21 pm

You know my story, puked almost every day for 30 weeks. A few days here and there I got a reprieve, but then the 1st tri, well, I usually tried to keep the kissing the porcelain gods trip to the single digits. I jest and laugh about this now, but at the moment, I wondered if there was a God and why if there was I could be this sick for this long. Truly any notions of rules or labels or thoughts went out the window about 2 weeks into that cycle. Anything I wanted and could keep down is what I had. No questions asked!

I love your message about weight gain, respecting your cravings, and it’s all about honoring yourself, your body, and the new life you’re growing! I know you all are sooo excited to meet her! The longer she stays in, the easier she will be to nurse when she comes out. Skylar was 2 weeks early and such a peanut and although I wished for an early appearance (I got what I wished for) she also was harder to nurse and the length of time a 6 lb vs. and 8 lb baby can go between meals is quite significant…I learned :)

Anyway rambling but my fave banana bread is my (deceased) grandma’s. She made thousands of loaves for me over my childhood and I miss them dearly! My version is GF Vegan and involves a ton of peanut butter in it. Recipe on my site.

xoxoox

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Averie,
Yeah, I really want nursing to go well, and so the longer the HEABlet stays in, that’s fine with me. Until then, I’ll just have to keep myself busy…perhaps by making your banana bread with lots of PB – sounds like my kind of recipe! :)

Laura October 3, 2010 at 3:26 pm

It must be the most amazing feeling in the world to have another little person inside of you!!
Banana bread is probably my favourite type of “bread” ever………..sometimes it doesn’t safice unless it has a layer of butter on top though! xx

Jill October 3, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Heather,
I just had to say that this is such a sweet post. I’m so glad the banana bread was such a hit and so glad that we’ve made friends, too :-) And I love the picture of the two of us!

Maybe at some point I’ll have to make you some pumpkin bread (although I may be adjusting that recipe a little) and I’ve been thinking that it might be really fun to turn this into “tropical” banana bread w/macadamias, crushed pineapple, and coconut (maybe coconut milk to replace some of the buttermilk?), etc. I think it would either be really good or a total fail. LOL

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Jill,
Bread is almost all gone, and I’d be glad to be your official taste tester for future bread experiments…drooling at the thought of pumpkin bread…tropical one too. I like the way you think! Hope to see you soon – have a good day at work tomorrow. :)

Eleanor October 3, 2010 at 3:45 pm

My best friend had a daughter, the beautiful Jessica, two months ago (I’m godmother so get to see her loads :-) ) and my friend says she’s never been happier… I’m excited for you! x

Eleanor

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Thanks Eleanor. :)

Sandi October 3, 2010 at 3:58 pm

When I was in high school, I went to my friend’s house once and we baked the most amazingly delicious loaf of banana bread I have ever tasted. Unfortunately I have absolutely no recollection of where the recipe came from, and neither does she! However, I will definitely be trying out some of the ones listed here in the comments :)

BroccoliHut October 3, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I don’t think I have a favorite recipe–I just like to have lots of nuts!

A Teenage Gourmet October 3, 2010 at 4:56 pm

For a whole wheat version, Eileen’s Banana Bread from Cooking Light is my favorite . . .Cooking Light just came out with a peanut butter banana bread, a banana’s foster banana bread, chocolate walnut banana bread, AND a new original recipe this month!

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Sami,
Peanut butter banana bread & chocolate walnut banana bread both sound right up my ally. :) So fun meeting you and Samantha tonight, and I really hope you both love Vanderbilt. Would love to have the two of you in Nashville, and if you decide to go to school here, please know that if you ever get tired of dorm cooking, the door to my kitchen is always open. :)

Bid October 3, 2010 at 5:09 pm

hummm

The ultimate food Heabifacation……

a Pop-tart… frosted brown sugar cinnamon

…i challenge you :-)

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Bid,
I accept. :)

polly October 3, 2010 at 5:28 pm

LURVE YOU!
Yes, poptarts are just part of life. The yummy parts. Banana bread. mmm. Maybe we can create a banana cornbread? Oh my heavens, whaddya think?

You are precious. See you in ONE WEEK!

You are such a sweet momma. I remember being hooked on bagels and butter and scrambled eggs once I got over feeling SICK ALL DAY. Little poptart will be such a muffin. Cannot wait to meet her! (and to know her name!)

Hugs galore.
Peach

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Peach,
I made CD and I some sloppy joes for dinner, but without pumpkin. :( CD could not find any at the store, and so I added almond butter instead. It was so good! Thanks for the inspiration, and I can’t wait to see you too. Oh, and banana cornbread!?! Most definitely! :)

Shauna October 3, 2010 at 6:35 pm

I’m all over the gooey top, too,but it is harder to achieve since I quit using veg shortening. I love to spread banana bread with a little solid coconut oil instead of butter. Next I will have to try using it in the recipe.

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Shauna,
Oh gosh, can you imagine banana bread with coconut BUTTER?!? YUM!

Emily October 3, 2010 at 7:39 pm

I totally agree with you – I was worried about what pregnancy would do to my body, but it wasn’t bad at all and I’m almost back to where I was – and it was all totally worth it!

About the banana bread – I’ve found gluten free recipes that were delicious, but they should really be called banana cake instead of banana bread. :) I’m going to work on creating a naturally sweetened healthier version one of these days and if it turns out I’ll share it with you! Right now, I like making chocolate banana microwave muffins (sweetened only with banana) and sometimes stirring in coconut and or cacao nibs – yum!

Btw – I ordered my gluten free oat bran – I’m excited!

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Emily,
How do you make the microwave muffins? Oh, and nothing wrong with banana cake! ;)

Emily October 4, 2010 at 10:42 am

Hi Heather!

Here is the chocolate banana microwave muffin recipe – http://www.food.com/recipe/magic-microwave-muffin-sinless-chocolate-banana-gluten-free-435202. The directions are a bit long winded but after testing on a few novice chefs (who did things like putting 1 ramekin in the microwave for 3 minutes, rather than all three – haha – turned into a rock), I thought I should be extra clear. :)

Here’s another one – Superfood Poppy Seed Muffins – http://www.food.com/recipe/superfood-lemon-poppy-seed-muffin-gluten-free-mmm-437127. It has gogi berries and all kinds of healthy flours like teff, amaranth, millet, quinoa and buckwheat (these 5 flours equal a 1/4 cup in the recipe and you can sub any flours you like).

Emily

HEAB October 4, 2010 at 10:48 am

Great, thanks so much Emily! :)

Laurie October 3, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Heather~
Kelloggs has so many new flavors of pop tarts out – wow! A few are limited editions. My 16yo daughter requested a box of Pumpkin pop tarts – I sampled a piece – OMG!! They could become addicting if I were to give in – hopefully my willpower won’t let me down – lol! Another limited edition is Gingerbread. Some new flavors are Strawberry Milkshake, Vanilla Milkshake, Fudge Sundae among the few.

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Laurie,
I’ve heard about those pumpkin Pop-Tarts…CD might have to make a trip down the cereal aisle next time I send him to the grocery store. ;)

alyssa October 3, 2010 at 8:28 pm

My mother in laws banana bread is fantastic! However…i’ve made it. A bit better :-) check out my peanut butter chocolate chip banana bread on my site :-)

Rachael October 3, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Your take on pregnancy, weight and body/nutrition acceptance continues to inspire me!
Breakfast food sounds super-appealing right now – I’m on pureed good for the next few days as per a tooth extraction, and after another meal of squash and hummus, I’m craving chewable, toothsome noshing!
Best banana bread ever – had it in Maine, made with blueberries and maple syrup. One loaf lasted one hour with two people!

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Rachael,
Ha – sounds like my kind of loaf! Hope you’re back to chewing soon. :)

F.I.T. October 3, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Great that you can really speak candidly to a fear that I think a lot of women experience during pregnancy. Anyone who’s ever struggled with their weight definitely has those thoughts, and so many women think they can’t get pregnant and keep their healthy lifestyles – awesome to see you doing it! :-)

Moni's Meals October 3, 2010 at 9:26 pm

banana bread is my favorite! I make it slightly different everytime it seems.
Pop Tarts, it has been so long since I have had them! I was always more of a Pastry Struedal type anyways. ;)

HEAB October 3, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Moni,
Hehe – one of my best friends from high-school swore by toaster strudels, and we could never sway her allegiance! :)

Maren October 3, 2010 at 9:41 pm

I make a vegan banana bread thats super easy. Everyone in my family loves it. you can find it here http://www.simplymaren.com/index.php/2010/10/sweet-friday-fall-style/

Eden October 4, 2010 at 12:58 am

I had a craving for poptarts too recently! that how I came up with my “waffle-wich” the other day! I just wanted a blueberry poptart so bad! I’m not a huge fan of banana bread, maybe because I don have nice friends who make it for me

HEAB October 4, 2010 at 7:15 am

Eden,
I would make you some banana bread if you lived in Nashville! Let me know if you’re ever in town. :)

Lorne October 4, 2010 at 1:52 am

I noticed a few first trimester feelings/experiences re-emerged during the last few weeks Heather, but not to the same intensity – thank goodness!

Get lots of rest hun, I am sooooooooooo sleep deprived now – it is a WHOLE new level of tiredness. Minu is a month old tomorrow :0) I LOVE HIM and feel so blessed to be his mummy.

My mother made a banana cake for my fathers birthday on Saturday, yay for bananas and yay for banana cake :0)

HEAB October 4, 2010 at 7:16 am

Lorne,
You sound so happy. I’ll be honest – I’m a little nervous about the lack of sleep I’m going to be getting in a few months, but sounds like it’s all worth it!

michelle October 4, 2010 at 5:26 am

I just made a gluten free banana coconut bar recipe the other day. It was yummy….

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun October 4, 2010 at 6:24 am

Mmmm, that banana bread looks delicious! I think banana is my favorite kind of sweet bread…but then again I don’t have any that aren’t my favorite! LOL ;-)

HEAB October 4, 2010 at 7:14 am

Erika,
Me too – never met a sweet bread I didn’t like! :)

Beth October 4, 2010 at 6:40 am

I love banana bread too. My grandma’s recipe is my favorite. She was a “pinch of this” and “a dash of that” and “bake it until it’s done” kind of cook, so I’m glad I got her to write down her banana bread recipe for me while she was still here with us. I bake it for my own children now and they love it too.

HEAB October 4, 2010 at 7:13 am

Beth,
Those “pinch of this and that cooks” always amaze me. My mom is like that – rarely measures anything, and come to think of it, so is CD. Intuitive cooks I guess. :)

Sami October 4, 2010 at 10:42 am

i don’t think i’ve EVER had banana bread that i DIDN’T like :) although this recipe seems to be a REAL winner!

3 ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
1 & 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup wheat germ
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix all dry ingredients first, then mix in bananas, oil and honey. (If you measure out the oil first, when you pour out the honey, it will all slide cleanly out of the cup.)

Pour into oiled bread pan and bake for 20 minutes. This recipe is also great for muffins. Muffins are more like 15 minutes until done. Use a toothpick or knife to check the middle. If it sticks, keep baking.

Recipe Substitutions:

Vegans can substitute agave nectar or maple syrup for honey, and you can cut the amount of sweetener down to your taste.
Quinoa or brown rice flour can replace the wheat flour to go gluten-free
We use olive oil, and have made it with as little as 1 tablespoon of oil for a low-fat banana bread.

:) xo heaby!

HEAB October 4, 2010 at 10:50 am

Thanks Sami.
Sounds simple and delicious! Bet it would be really good with nut butter or coconut butter subbed for oil. :)

Kendall October 4, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Speaking of banana bread…you already know my fav recipe! Try it out if you are still feeling woozy in the coming days! You look radiant in your recent photos!

janetha October 4, 2010 at 10:50 pm

what is it about mom’s banana bread that is so good? i recently made my mom’s recipe for the first time here: http://mealsandmoves.wordpress.com/meals/moms-banana-bread/

SO good.

you are SO cute and glowing and pregnant. i just love it.

{ 4 trackbacks }