My New Favorite Fudge Maker

by HEAB on October 4, 2010

Last night after my almond butter sloppy joe dinner, I drove to Fido, one of my my favorite local coffee shops to meet up with Sami, aka A Teenage Gourmet and her friend Samantha.

The girls were in town to visit Vanderbilt University, and I’m so glad we all got the chance to meet. Sami and Samantha, I’m really hoping you both love Vanderbilt as I want you guys to move to Nashville! First off, Sami is an amazing cook & baker, and Samantha, well, she loves chocolate – therefore, how could I not love these two girls?!? :)

Sami was kind enough to bring me some butternut squash fudge, and I enjoyed 2 pieces of it along with a decaf topped with steamed half and half and cinnamon. Thanks again Sami. So good! I also tried a bite of Samantha’s cake (amazing) and Sami’s chocolate mint paleta (again, amazing…I love Fido).

Good conversation, good coffee, and lots of chocolate. Really, what more does a girl need? I had such a good time, and I really do hope to see you both again!

In honor of our meet-up last night, I decided to make a Sami inspired breakfast but then ended up warming myself 2 big slices of banana bread instead as I needed something quick before yoga. Jill, seriously…the banana bread…I think I could live on it…oh wait, I have been. ;) Anyway, I did end up eating a Sami inspired lunch…

Sunny-Side Grits

Nothing like a big bowl of grits topped with an egg, goat cheese, fresh basil, wing sauce, and pepper to make me happy…or perhaps it was the 2 pieces of pieces of butternut fudge I ate afterwards that brought a big smile to my face.

Before I go, I wanted to send a very big thank-you to Meghann from Meals And Miles. Look at what she sent the HEABlet…

Cutest onesies Ever!
Meghann, thanks so much. I’m totally bringing the HEABlet home from the hospital in the pink one, and you know she’ll be sporting her Meals And Miles onesie as soon as she grows into it. We you! :)

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin October 4, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Aww those onesies are SO cute!!

Also, I love having an egg over oats from time to time. The yolk makes such a delicious sauce and its nice to have savory oats rather than sweet ones sometimes!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 4, 2010 at 1:46 pm

love the HEABlet onesie!

Kristina @ spabettie October 4, 2010 at 1:48 pm

those onesies are AWESOME ! :D

and that fudge… oh yum.

S @ extremebalance.net/blog October 4, 2010 at 1:54 pm

There just might come a time when you have to give in, and call her *HEABlet* on the birth cert… :)

HEAB October 4, 2010 at 7:59 pm

S,

I know, right? I’m wondering if the nickname will stick?

eatmovelove October 5, 2010 at 6:18 am

Yeah, anyone who doesn’t know about your blog (anyone!? :) ) – will be wondering “HEABLet?” – you’ll have them stumped!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 4, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I love the HEABlet onesie — how adorable :)

Cindy October 4, 2010 at 2:01 pm

so need to get my hands on some grits now!
that looks PERFECT

and banana bread. YUP

but those onesies!

OH my GOSH…so sweet!!!

Mandy A October 4, 2010 at 2:02 pm

SO in love with those onsies!! :) So sweet!!

I think I need to be making some butternut squash fudge :) Sounds so good!

HEAB October 4, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Mandy,
Make it – I think the whole fam would love. :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 4, 2010 at 2:03 pm

i will now be eating grits for dinner and breakfast…that bowl looks SO GOOD!

nicole October 4, 2010 at 2:05 pm

OMG those onesies are so freaking cute!! Hopefully HEAB will still be around so when your daughter sees her baby pictures she will know what the heck a HEABlet is! lol

HEAB October 4, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Nicole,
I hope so! :)

Theresa @ActiveEggplant October 4, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Holy crap those onesies are CUTE!
I’ve never tried egg on oats – but that looks delicious. Makes me want to try it!

HEAB October 4, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Theresa,
Try it…I dare ya. ;)

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger October 4, 2010 at 2:11 pm

AWWW, those onesies look adorable! What a cute idea!

And, holy moley- good coffee, friends and chocolate! Seriously, what more could you as for?

Exactly…NOTHING! ;)

Andrea October 4, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Cute onesies!! Nice choices Meghann :)

Felicia October 4, 2010 at 2:17 pm

a HEABLET onesie?!?! you are one lucky and loved girl by many :) that is the cutest and most thoughtful thing!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 4, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Love the onesies! Too cute! Looks like you had a nice visit! Enjoy your afternoon!

Evan Thomas October 4, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Holy cow; Meghann has out done everyone. That girl is so amazing.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) October 4, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Awwww, those onesies are ADORABLE!! Such a sweet gift. :) Can’t wait to see the HEABlet in them!

I need to make friends that bring me fudge! LOL That’s so awesome. You guys look like you could be sisters.

Stefanie October 4, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Cute onesies! Nothing can beat a good meal with good company. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 4, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Awwwe the HEABlet onsie’s so cute!! She’ll love it :)

Lea @ Healthy Coconut October 4, 2010 at 2:58 pm

We are going to get used to calling the little one Heablet…I can’t wait to get to know her real name soon.

HEAB October 4, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Lea,
I can’t wait to share it with all of you.

Andrea (@ Puppy Dog Tales) October 4, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Cutest onesies ever…I will live vicariously through you and CD in the girlie clothes/pink category.

HEAB October 4, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Andrea,
We have so many pink outfits! Looks like Pepto Bismol exploded all over the HEABlet’s closet. ;)

Lauren @ 40Apples October 4, 2010 at 3:26 pm

such cute onesies!! :) and looks like a very lovely meet-up. any meet-up involving chocolate = dynamite in my book!

Halley (Blunder Construction) October 4, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Too cute! What a sweet gift, and smart idea: blogger baby wares. Also butternutsquash + fudge? Brilliant, my goodness! I love fall!

HEAB October 4, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Hally,
Make the fudge. So easy and so good. Perfect for fall, although I lived on the stuff this past summer as well. :)

Heather October 4, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Oh wow those grits look awesome! It’s been a long time since I’ve had grits…tho I did see some in my cabinet just yesterday. A sign? Perhaps!

Love the HEABlet onesies! So so so cute!!

HEAB October 4, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Heather,
Yes, definitely a sign. Hope you enjoy some of those grits soon! :)

Colleen Stewart October 4, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Corn grits with an over easy or poached egg on top = total comfort food! Love it!! I always have to have some kind of hot sauce involved too :)
Adorable onesies!

Katie October 4, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Those are adorable!!! You are lucky to have such a great community of people who love you and your blog, myself included. Your little girl is one lucky lady!

HEAB October 4, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Thanks Katie. We do feel really loved. :)

Bridget October 4, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Aww I love the little onesies! SO cute! You’ll definitly have to take a picture of the heablet in the onesie :)

HEAB October 4, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Bridget,
I’m planning on it. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 4, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Those are such cute onsies!!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 4, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Those onesies are absolutely adorable!!! Can’t wait for pics of the Heablet in them :D

Caronae October 4, 2010 at 8:57 pm

That is the best HEABlet gift I have seen yet! Way to go Meghann. :)

Becky October 4, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Hi Heather, I thought you’d appreciate this – I saw the title of your blog post and my first thought was “Oh my goodness – HEABlet arrived early!” I am glad that HEABlet is still safe and sound inside (and, I have to admit, a little relieved that she won’t grow up with her online birth announcement fecally-focused)…here’s hoping the next few weeks are smooth sailing!

Carolyn October 4, 2010 at 9:40 pm

hahahahahahaha…love that blog post title comment…

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 4:34 am

Becky,
Nope, HEABlet is still intact, and as much as I can’t wait to meet her, I’m hoping she won’t show up early…well, at least not too early. Thanks for your well wishes! :)

A Teenage Gourmet October 4, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Thank you Heather! Samantha and I had a great time meeting you last night. :) Vanderbilt was everything that I had expected and more. I will definitely apply and cross my fingers! Thank you again for taking the time to meet up with us.

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 4:33 am

Sami,
Oh good – so excited to hear that you loved Vanderbilt! My fingers AND toes are crossed as well…hoping to see more of your face around here come next fall. P.S. It’s 4 AM on Tuesday…just finished off the last of the butternut fudge. Hehe, HEABlet and I thank you! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 5, 2010 at 1:23 am

Awwww, cute onesies! I miss, sniff sniff, changing diapers and trying to mess with those snaps with a wiggling lil one on my hands. Ok not that much, but to dress her in a pink onesie once more would sure be fun :)

Love the meetup you had…and I am constantly amazed by the YOUNG girls in the sphere…who can totally cook! When i was that age, Triscuits & PB was my idea of “cooking”

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 4:31 am

Averie,
I know, Sami is amazing in the kitchen. I remember leaving her a comment once asking is she was really a teenager. When I was that age, I lived on pizza, and “cooking” meant a box of Kraft shells and cheese. So impressed by some of these girls!

Sami October 5, 2010 at 7:42 am

So cute! Love those onezies :) It’s so funny to see my name on your blog and have it be someone else that you’re talking about! Sami (especially that spelling!) is NOT a common name. Haha. Kinda jealous that you got to meet THAT Sami not THIS one :D Mayyyyybe someday I’ll get to meet you and your little heablet!

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 8:12 am

Sami,
I sure hope so! :)

Clare @ Fitting It All In October 5, 2010 at 10:37 am

Too Freaking Cute!
Do you think you’ll end up calling her Heablet? I mean it’s not ideal, but we’re all so used it it by now!

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 11:23 am

Clare,
Probably…I think “HEABlet” might stick. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I’ve gotten so used to calling her that as I don’t want to use her real name much because I’m afraid I’ll slip in front of someone, and we’re trying really hard to keep it a secret. :)

Amanda @ bakingwithoutabox October 5, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Oh what a fun meeting! Love being able to chat with other foodies
Love the onesies. Little HEABlet has her own growing tiny personalized wardrobe. So cute.

Brittany @ Pretty Fit, Pretty Healthy, Pretty happy October 6, 2010 at 12:49 am

I LOVE Greek yogurt!
This weekend I put a twist on one of Caitlin’s (Healthy Tipping Point) recipes and tried Greek yogurt + canned pumpkin + 1/2 tablespoon honey + vanilla extract + pumpkin pie spice and topped it with pumpkin flax granola.
I used it as a pancake topping, but I bet it’d be delicious on it’s own!

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 7:57 am

Brittany,
Yes, I can’t believe I’m saying this, but honestly, I don’t think that recipe needs the pancakes. ;)