In Need of Yogurt Recipes

by HEAB on October 5, 2010

So, ever since reading about all of your favorite parfait recipes on this post, I’ve been craving yogurt like a mad woman, and by yogurt, I mean the thick Greek stuff. Oh, how I miss it in my life. As you know, my body doesn’t handle casein or whey very well, and so I try and avoid both. However, I did have some Oikos coupons and ate Greek yogurt a couple of times last week. Gosh, I LOVE IT. My body seems to do okay with goat milk yogurt, but it’s so pricey, and I’m not a huge fan of store bought coconut milk yogurt.

No, I want more of this rich & creamy action…

Oikos plain Greek yogurt with homemade chocolate rice bread

More Oikos with Coco’s Maple Walnut Granola in the waning Naturally Nutty cashew butter jar – I could eat this everyday! Thanks again for the granola Coco – it lasted less than 24 hours in our house. :)

Before backing off the dairy, I used to make my own Greek yogurt, and it was so yummy. However, I am now in search of a dairy free version. Any suggestions? A good friend gave me her yogurt maker, and so I’m all ready for some recipes. Please share! :)

VeggieGirl October 5, 2010 at 8:41 am

Oikos FTW! :)

I think Gena has a coco-gurt recipe.

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 12:04 pm

VG,
Any recipe that involves buying and opening Thai young coconuts = too much work. Would rather just pay for the goat milk stuff. Heck, would probably be cheaper anyway.

Hands in Namaste October 5, 2010 at 8:43 am

I used to make yogurt parfaits the night before with frozen berries and granola..in the AM it’s delicious!

I’m sorry to hear that your body does not like yogurt..my body doesn’t tolerate dairy very well, but i seem to be ok with yogurt bc of the probiotics. I hope you find something you love!

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Hands in Namaste – thanks, me too. :)

Ellen October 5, 2010 at 8:54 am

Is there a farmer or something nearby that sells goat’s milk? Because if you could get it by the gallon, yogurt is really easy to make. And then you can strain it for a greek goat yogurt :)

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Ellen,
I used to buy raw goat milk, but then the farm had to stop selling it due to Tennessee laws. I need to do my research as I’m sure I could find some somewhere around here. Thanks for the suggestion!

Ana October 5, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I like that idea! And the milk doesn’t have to be raw to make yogurt Heather.

Josie October 5, 2010 at 8:56 am

i’ve been making “pumpkin butter” for my toast and oatmeal by combining one cup of pumpkin, pumpkin pie spices, a single-serving container of greek yogurt, and one cup of powdered sugar. it’s great! maybe you could HEABify! ;)

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Josie,
That does sound great – perfect fall breakfast!

brianne October 5, 2010 at 8:59 am

hi heather! so funny you were thinking of yogurt – i made some of my own for the first time this weekend. it was so easy. i made it in the crockpot and then strained through a dish towel in a colander to remove the whey (i did use raw cow’s milk). it is JUST like fage. so proud. but i’m sure you could do the same with goat’s milk, which i believe you can get at WF, right? anyway, if you’re interested, let me know :)

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Brianne,
Would love your recipe. Bet it tastes amazing with the raw cow’s milk. Wish I could find raw goat’s milk around here. The store bought stuff tastes gross – so goaty. :(

Rachel (tea and chocolate) October 5, 2010 at 9:01 am

I’d love to make almond milk yogurt, but it hasn’t come out quite right. Yet. It will someday, I’m sure. :) The best explanation I’ve found for making non-dairy is here: http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/1999382.htm
(I hope leaving a link is okay?)

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Thanks Rachel, and yes, I’m all for link dropping, especially when I request it. Thanks again! :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 5, 2010 at 9:01 am

I’m excited to see what people come up with for you because since I stopped eating dairy I have been craving yoghurt.

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama October 5, 2010 at 9:02 am

I don’t have any yogurt recipes, but goat’s milk yogurt at TJ’s is reasonably priced. (At least a lot cheaper than our local health food store!) I get it occasionally because I like to switch things up.

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Maryea,
Yes, TJ’s is my go-to for goat milk yogurt. I should just buy it there when the cravings really hit. Definitely cheaper than Whole Foods!

Chocolate Covered Katie October 5, 2010 at 9:02 am

My friend, Meg, added a probiotic capsule to the recipe below and said it tasted just like Greek yogurt:
There’s a soy-free version too. :)

P.S. I need to email you back! I’ll get on that soon!

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Thanks Katie! Perfecto. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 5, 2010 at 9:04 am

My mom has a yogurt maker. I miss yogurt more than anything else dairy. I used to eat regular and frozen yogurt ALL THE TIME! So, I am anxious to hear what you come up with. Speaking of yogurt…I need some oat groats, I miss oatgurt now that the weather is getting cooler!

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Sarena,
I keep saying I’m going to make oatgurt and then never get around to it. Must buy oat groats soon!!!

Natalia - a side of simple October 5, 2010 at 9:07 am

I don’t have any recipes, but I’m the grocery store is now on my to do list since I’ve craving me some yogurt bowl deliciousness ;)

@stampylisa October 5, 2010 at 9:11 am

if you don’t like the So Del coco milk yogurt, have you tried the Coco milk Kefir that they make? is it taste or texture? I love to use the plain coconut milk yogurt w/sliced cucumbrs for cuke salad. OR the coco milk Vanilla yogurt w/honeydew & blueberries for a vanilla-y fruit salad. I have tried Rice Milk yogurt and it’s not too bad. Maybe that would work well in the yogurt maker. I have never tried to make my own before.

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Stampylisa,
I’ve tried the kefir and liked it, but it’s not really in the budget. I’ve made my own coconut milk kefir as well, but it’s not the same as a bowl of thick creamy yogurt. Never had rice milk yogurt – I’ll have to google some recipes for the yogurt maker. Thanks! :)

caronae October 5, 2010 at 9:19 am

Gena has a recipe that sounds really good, as does Chocolate Covered Katie!

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Thanks Caronae. Gena’s involved cracking open coconuts. Too much work for me, but Katie sent me her’s, and I’m going to check it out. Never met a CCK recipe I didn’t love. :)

Meg October 5, 2010 at 9:21 am

Aw I wish I had some recipes to share :D A yogurt maker sounds like SO MUCH FUN! Enjoy it – and I can’t wait to see what you make ;)

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey October 5, 2010 at 9:43 am

The only thing I know of is a brand of plain, unsweetened soy yogurt made by Wildwood. I’ve had it before and it is awesome. If you drain it, it will probably taste like Greek yogurt? haha.

Here’s the link. http://www.pulmuonewildwood.com/soyogurt.asp The plain unsweetened is at the bottom. :)

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Thanks Kelsey, but I forgot to mention I can’t do soy either. Soy and dairy are my stomach’s enemies. :(

Alyssa October 5, 2010 at 9:51 am

I wish I could help, but I don’t have a recipe :-( I look forward to reading the others that you get!

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks October 5, 2010 at 9:53 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed the granola, Heather! I use my Easiyo yogurt maker and organic nonfat powdered milk to make yogurt, and I’ve never tried using anything else. What kind of yogurt maker did your friend give you? It will be so interesting to see what you come up with!

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Coco, thanks again for the granola! I’m not sure what kind of yogurt maker I have – it’s currently sitting in our basement, but I plan to start using it soon. Can’t wait. :)

Kathryn @ Foodies Not Fatties October 5, 2010 at 9:59 am

OMG I am loving that first photo. Not a huge fan of yogurt in general but I think I might have some greek yogurt and ginger bread in my future…mmmmm

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Kathryn,
That sounds like a perfect fall breakfast. Don’t forget the cinnamon on top! :)

Little Bookworm October 5, 2010 at 10:02 am

Love the parfaits, and love greek yogurt! No recipes though sorry.

Felicia October 5, 2010 at 10:06 am

Have you tried straining the goat milk yogurt through a cheese cloth for a while to get that thicker consistency? I know its not the same as oikos, but it will definitely come out thicker!

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Felicia,
Yes, I have, and it was great. Just trying to find a cheaper homemade method…although Trader Joe’s goat milk yogurt isn’t too bad on the wallet. Might just start buying it again there.

jananib October 5, 2010 at 10:37 am

I make my own yogurt with homemade nut milk (soak 1 cup nuts, blend with 3 cups water, strain through cheesecloth) and GI Pro Start Yogurt starter or Body Ecology’s kefir starter. It’s delicious and easy and cheap!

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Jananib,
Thanks – sounds easy enough. :)

eatmovelove October 5, 2010 at 10:38 am

A yogurt maker? That would save me a lot of money maybe…hah – I would so be the kid in a toy store in your kitchen I think! – quietly mesmerized and “playing” with all these tools ;)

I have tried Greek yogurt before – it is SO thick. It’s really good, but about $6.99 here for a containor of like 450 g I think? Expensive for my large consumptions ;) . Ugh – so frustrated that everyone is so darn expensive!

BUT I loved it (and yogurts now) with maple syrup, blueberries/strawberries, granola and rolled oats for a snack. It’s also great with muffins crumbled up into it! So I can see your bread being a hit for sure…(also, is there anything else you’d put in that bread in place of the cocoa powder?). Curious :)

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Eatmovelove,
The original bread recipe called for nothing but grains, water, salt, and coconut oil. So the cocoa powder is completely unnecessary. I was just in the mood for chocolate. You could leave it out or add any of your favorite seasonings. Cinnamon + sugar stevia for a sweet bread or fresh herbs and cheese, maybe some garlic for a more savory version.

eatmovelove October 5, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Oh I like the cocoa, just wondering about other options :) . Y’know I never add salt to recipes when they ask for it…does it make a difference really?

lindsay October 5, 2010 at 10:49 am

Full fat greek yogurt is lower is lactose. I combine that with coconut yogurt. Not the cheapest but its good!

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Lindsay,
Unfortunately, it’s not the lactose that bothers me so much as it is the whey and casein. However, the full fat stuff is probably much lower in dairy protein as well. Need to do some label reading. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 5, 2010 at 10:50 am

I’d imagine you could make soy yogurt with a yogurt maker? I’ve never tried..but it’d be worth a shot :) Ohhh maybe coconut yogurt with coconut milk. That’d be something new! I think..lol

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Mary,
Soy is my one other problem area. Dairy and soy are not my friends. Yeah, I was thinking making my own coconut milk yogurt – I just need to find a good recipe as I want it to turn out thick and not runny. Kind of high maintenance when it comes to my yogurt. ;)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 5, 2010 at 10:51 am

I don’t have an answer, but I want a yogurt maker — if it can turn my almond milk into yogurt that would be great!

I’m making your chocolate rice bread tonight :)

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Holly,
Enjoy the chocolate rice bread! I’ve made almond milk yogurt sans the yogurt maker. It’s super easy: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/04/08/almond-milk-yogurt/

Amanda Jewell October 5, 2010 at 10:54 am

HEABS!! haven’t you seen the Pure2Raw Twins’ Coconut Yogurt recipe??!?!!
TRY IT~~

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Amanda,
Yes, I’ve seen the recipe, but I think it would be cheaper (& much easier) for me to just the goat milk stuff. Cracking open 8 coconuts would be a lot of work. However, I’m sure it’s delicious. Wish I was neighbors with the twins – I would be over all the time to raid their kitchen! :)

Katie October 5, 2010 at 11:17 am

I made coconut kefir a while ago and while researching that recipe, I saw couple for coconut yogurt. Just mix 2 cans coconut milk and a package of kefir starter in a mason jar, cover, let sit overnight, and eat the next day! I haven’t tried it yet, but that sounds like the easiest route.

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Katie,
I’ve made that before. Very simple and very good, but not thick enough for me. Sorry, I’m a high maintenance yogurt eater. ;)

Katie October 5, 2010 at 2:20 pm

No need to apologize, I’m glad to hear that. I am high maintenance with yogurt too, so I won’t waste 2 cans of coconut milk!

Tracy October 5, 2010 at 11:44 am

Hi Heather! I’m sorry I don’t have a greek yogurt recipe for you, but can’t wait to see what you come up with. I eat my beloved Fage at least twice a day!

Seeing your Cashew Butter jar reminded me: I haven’t heard back from Katie at Naturally Nutty about my interest in ordering some for myself. Does she usually take so long to reply? Do you think I should bug her with another email?

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Tracy,
Enjoy some Fage for me! I would email Katie again as she usually responds to emails fairly quickly. If you don’t hear back this 2nd time, let me know, and I’ll email her about the cashew butter as well.

Tracy October 5, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Will do, Heather!

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Tracy,

I asked Katie about the cashew butter and following is her response. Her father-in-law just passed away, and that’s probably why she hasn’t gotten back to you yet.

From Katie: The cashew butters and the cinnamon vanilla should have been on the site a few weeks ago….Tim was out east for 2 weeks, then the kids and I went. Needless to say, we are way behind b/c we just came back yesterday….. Please let your readers know that we are trying to get those on there by friday. :)

Tracy October 6, 2010 at 7:37 am

Thanks again, Heather. She actually replied right away when I sent her the 2nd email and told me the same, so all is good!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 5, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Greek yogurt is definitely the best. I know there is soy yogurt out there…but no idea how to make it. Sorry I can’t be of more help!

VEGirl October 5, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I’ve never had greek yogurt, so I don’t know what it tastes like… but would your oatgurt work? And speaking of oatgurt, I made some and I really like it! I loved yogurt so much as a little kid, and it just transported me back! So incredibly comforting! When I mixed in canned blackberries, cinnamon, and stevia, it tasted JUST like the fruity yogurt bowl I made as a young kid :) . Thanks Heather, my life is now complete!

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 1:17 pm

VEGirl,
Yes, oatgurt would work, and I keep saying I’m going to make it, but have yet to buy any oat groats. You’re the 2nd person to remind of the recipe today, and I’m taking that as a sign. Adding oat groats to grocery list right now! So happy to hear you enjoyed it. :)

VEGirl October 5, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Hey Heather,
If you have rolled oats, I have found that they work GREAT! I’m gluten-free, so GF rolled oats are the only ones I currently have available to me.
VEGirl

Ana October 5, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I am also curious to see what you are going to come up with since I love yogurt of all shapes and sorts, especially the amazingly delicious Greek Yogurt!
The thing with Greek yogurt is that it is so creamy, thick and delicious that it is hard to go back to regular yogurt after you get used to it.
I have recipes for making yogurt but always tried with dairy, I will try it with soy milk and let you know how it turns out. Do you like soy yogurt Heather?
I love Liberte’s plain goat cheese yogurt, but it is expensive. Maybe I will try making yogurt with Goat’s milk. You mentioned goat milk being kind of too goaty, but sometimes after it is cultured (and becomes yogurt) the taste of the milk changes and sweetens a bit (those good bacterias break down the sugars in milk).
I will try making goat yogurt and will report back, now I am excited about this!!

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Ana,
Nope, soy and dairy – my stomach’s 2 enemies. :( Please let me know how your goat milk experiment goes. I’ll let you try it first. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 5, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I echo what Katie just said about the coconut kefir. She used my recipe but had been resisting for a long time b/c she’s not a die hard coconut fan and I told her I never used to be either and she didnt believe me that it did NOT taste like drinking a bottle of Hawaiian tropic, i.e. coconut milk kefir. I assured her it did not and she now agrees with me! I know youve used that recipe of mine like a year or so ago…try that, but just ferment it longer AND use less liquid. And/or strain off thru a cheesecloth the overly liquid-ey part so you’re left with the more solid yogurt part.

Of course you can google this and there’s no doubt a zillion ways and ideas, but some of those things get so complicated with boiling things and it stresses me out so that’s why I like my countertop method :)

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Averie,
Yes, I’ve made your coconut kefir a few times, but it wasn’t thick like yogurt. Might try it with less liquid and then strain. Sounds easy enough. Hope you got some rest last night!

Moni's Meals October 5, 2010 at 12:34 pm

No ideas for you , but I look forward to the outcome and the pics just looked so good. ;) I still make greek yogurt parfaits all the time. Sometimes with brown rice, chia seeds, fruit, nuts….

Rachel October 5, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I really love sauteed cut up fresh mushrooms in either olive oil or ghee plopped right on top of a full serving of any plain fat-free greek yogurt. Especially with some onion and/garlic powder sprinkled on top. or a few whole roasted garlic cloves. Yum!

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Rachel,
Yum indeed. Love your savory take. :)

Janet October 5, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I’ve made goats milk yogurt but used a dehydrated starter culture. The key to getting it thick is using goats milk powder along with the starter culture.

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Janet,
Aha – that’s the tip I needed. Thanks so much!

Melissa Miller October 5, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I got a couple cookbooks from the library that do alot with cashew (cashew cream, butter…etc and used for substitutes).,,including yogurt.
I googled since I don’t know the book titles off bat.
Let me know if you want them but in the meantime I am sure you can do the homework

~Missy

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Great – thanks Missy!

brianne October 5, 2010 at 1:06 pm

hi heather. the recipe i used was:

if you’re interested in raw goat’s milk, i know shawn dady (our area weston price leader) sends out emails indicating places where you can get some.

good luck!

polly October 5, 2010 at 1:38 pm

hello love!
Oh man, you know I LOVE dairy. I am trying to squish some back into my life and sorta waiting til we get to TN to hit Maggie Moos. :) I am quite sure butter pecan ice cream with real pecan chunks is maybe even better than peaches. :P

Did I tell you my doc emailed me and he said it’s’ clear that I am sensitive to soy and gluten? Yup.

Soooo Maggie Moos sounds like I’m in the clear. :D

Lurve!
Also, looooved the Heablet onesie from Meghann!! So sweet!!!
XOXO

You gotta try my meatloaf! I wonder what it would taste like with grass fed BEEF instead of turkey? Worth a try.

oh! Sarah told me my blog wasn’t showing up in her google reader. I have no idea what exactly that is :P , but is it working on yours?

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Polly,
Happy to hear you’re squishing as I’d have to agree with you on the butter pecan ice-cream. Totally planning on trying your meatloaf with beef as we have a freezer full of the stuff. However, CD could not find pumpkin at Harris Teeter – I just don’t think he looked in the right aisle. :) I never use Google Reader anymore and just type in the URL’s of the blogs I want to read. Reader was stressing me out! I did take a look and your last post to show up was the one where you gave the address for your new blog. See you soon my love. :)

Mimi (Gingersnaps) October 5, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Actually, I’d be SUPER curious in any stuff you find. I’ve been having a lot of digestive issues lately so the doctor put me on a full-dairy purge for two weeks. Thing is, I eat a ton of Greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Any advice so I don’t go nuts and wind up attacking the ice cream aisle in a dairy-starved fervor would be awesome. I use almond/coconut milk, but I don’t use many other kinds of dairy alternatives, so I’m curious.

But oh, Choosing Raw’s Gena has two tart yogurt recipe. Only thing is it’s expensive because of all the coconut meat. You should try to HEABify it!

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Mimi,
Can you do goat milk? There have been a lot of recipes left in the comments section, and I hope to try some of them using goat or coconut milk. I’ve seen Gena’s recipes, and as much as I love coconut meat, they are just too labor intensive for me…and a bit pricey as I can put away a lot of yogurt! :)

Lauren October 5, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I would love to know too, as I swear we have the same bodies, so what works for you always works for me too! You’re like my little tester! haha

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Lauren,
There have been some great recipes left in the comments. I plan to try some of them with goat milk. Wish me luck! :)

Catherine October 5, 2010 at 5:22 pm

This is a bit off-topic, but have you seen this Marie Claire article on food/health bloggers yet? Would love to know what you think.

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Catherine,
Yes, I have read the article, but I didn’t want to post about it here on HEAB as many bloggers have already given their opinions. I will say that I was shocked by the article. I feel like I know all of those girls, some through just reading their blogs and some I’ve met in person. I feel bad for them as it does not sound like they were presented with the whole truth about what the article would entail. That being said, I do believe the author brought up some valid points about what goes on in the world of health and fitness blogs. I’ll be the first to admit that some of my past posts have been triggering for some readers as they’ve told me so, but it’s just me being completely honest and writing about my own struggles. If readers find that triggering, then I hope they would make the decision to stop reading.

Catherine October 5, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Thanks for the reply! I was wondering how fair the article really was, but I guess you can’t expect that much from a women’s mag.

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Catherine,
Welcome. :)

Dea October 5, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Can you make your own goat milk yogurt? Have you ever made keifer with keifer grains? I make yogurt in the crock pot, but now that I have the dehydrator I’m going to try it in there. And if you would like some keifer grains, I have plenty I can send, both water and milk.

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Dea,
I have made kefir before with coconut milk and still have some of the grains leftover, and I’m totally giving the goat milk yogurt a try! :)

Kayla @ Let's Live Wholesome October 5, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I have the very same problem with dairy in general. For whatever reason, yogurt is one of the absolute worsts for me! Such a bummer. If you come up with a good recipe, could you please share it? I’d love to hear one :-)

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Kayla,
Will do – there have been several left in the comments if you’d like to peruse. I’m hoping to try some of them with goat milk.

Chris Williams October 5, 2010 at 7:51 pm

I make this all the time from crockpot365.blogspot.com You can strain it with coffee filters and a colander to make greek yogurt. I save the whey for smoothies, etc. It is very healthy. This is very cheap. Maybe you could try almond milk or coconut milk in this recipe
RECIPE FOLLOWS
****
–8 cups (half-gallon) of whole milk–pasteurized and homogenized is fine, but do NOT use ultra-pasteurized. (Debbie recommends starting with whole milk until you get the hang of yogurt-making)

–1/2 cup store-bought natural, live/active culture plain yogurt (you need to have a starter. Once you have made your own, you can use that as a starter)

–thick bath towel

The Directions.

This takes a while. Make your yogurt on a weekend day when you are home to monitor.

I used a 4 quart crockpot. This is so exciting. My fingers are shaking!

Plug in your crockpot and turn to low. Add an entire half gallon of milk. Cover and cook on low for 2 1/2 hours.

Unplug your crockpot. Leave the cover on, and let it sit for 3 hours.

When 3 hours have passed, scoop out 2 cups of the warmish milk and put it in a bowl. Whisk in 1/2 cup of store-bought live/active culture yogurt. Then dump the bowl contents back into the crockpot. Stir to combine.

Put the lid back on your crockpot. Keep it unplugged, and wrap a heavy bath towel all the way around the crock for insulation.

Go to bed, or let it sit for 8 hours.

In the morning, the yogurt will have thickened—it’s not as thick as store-bought yogurt, but has the consistency of low-fat plain yogurt.

Chill in a plastic container(s) in the refrigerator. Your fresh yogurt will last 7-10 days. Save 1/2 cup as a starter to make a new batch.

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Awesome – thanks so much Chris. I want to try this with goat milk!

Chris Williams October 5, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Some tips:

I do the first step for 2 hours and 45 minutes instead of the 2-1/2 hours. I can’t remember where I read that. Also, do not jiggle the crockpot to see if it’s getting thick. Mine flopped once when I did that and that’s the only thing I could figure out I did wrong. If it is near the very end, it probably would be okay to jiggle it. And also I take two large towels and fold them in half and overlap them. I think I started this b/c one other time it flopped. These were about the only two times it flopped out of multiple times. Good luck! Oh and it is seems to be very forgiving on the time (on the last step). I usually take about 10-12 hours on the last step.

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Great – thanks again Chris. Tips are very much appreciated. No jiggling and 2 towels – got it!

Chris Williams October 5, 2010 at 7:51 pm

I meant the whey is very healthy :)

Christopher Ian Hill October 5, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Heather,

Last week, I tried Greek Yogurt for the first time! Mmmmm. Good stuff!
I had the “honey” flavor. I don’t think I could ever go back to regular yogurt.
I read/heard that Greek yogurt is supposed to be healthier than regular yogurt. Right? Also, I read some where that they usually extract the whey from Greek Yogurt. Correct?

Chris Hill =)

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Hey Chris,
Yeah, I love the Greek stuff. It’s got the same healthy bacteria as regular yogurt, and so both are good for you, but watch the sweetened versions as they can be really high in sugar. I prefer the plain ones myself, but I like ‘em tart! I have read that when they strain the yogurt to make Greek, the excess liquid is mostly whey. You are correct. :)

Christopher Ian Hill October 5, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Thanks for the reply!

Chris =)

Rachael October 5, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Here’s how we do it at my place…I think this originally came from “Wild Fermentation” but considering I live with a bunch of mad fermenting scientists, you never know….it tastes amazing, though!

1 quart of full fat sheep or cow’s milk (pasteurized)
2 tablespoons of previously homemade yogurt or plain unflavored yogurt with active live cultures OR live cultures from a kefir/yogurt making kit…you can sometimes buy these at Whole Foods
2 tablespoons of full fat milk (same type)

Start with all ingredients at room temperature, then heat the milk just to the boiling point and pour into a non-metal container. Let cool to lukewarm, and fear not the skin that forms on top.
Mix the 2 tablespoons of yogurt with 2 tablespoons of milk, and add to the lukewarm mixture, carefully pouring so that the “skin” is not disturbed.
Cover with a clean dishtowel and place on another towel in a warm, dry place for at least 8 hours (or overnight) until it thickens. Sourness increases with time, so bear that in mind.
Carefully drain any excess liquid, and refrigerate for 4 hours before using.
Don’t forget to save a small amount to make the next batch!
Hope this helps!

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Thanks Rachael,
I want to try this with goat milk yogurt…and I think the Wild Fermentation guy actually lives in TN. He’s got some great recipes – nothing wrong with a little mad scientist experimentation. ;)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 5, 2010 at 8:04 pm

I would love for you to find arecipe and share it! I would love a non dairy greek yogurt recipe!!

Nicole October 5, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Don’t know if anyone mentioned this : http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/2010/10/dairy-free-yogurt-2-soy-free-refined.html

Hope all is well =)

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Nicole,
No, but the commenter directly after you just did. I think she cheated off of you. ;) Thanks!

Mandie October 5, 2010 at 8:06 pm

This one is made with cashew milk, but she also has variations with coconut milk too.

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Great – thanks Mandie!

michelle October 5, 2010 at 8:14 pm

That’s twice this week you’ve requested recipes that I just finished yesterday :)
I’ve been playing around with yogurt recipes for a while but here is a basic one that I make every few days
From this one I’ve been experimenting…..
http://seemichellecook.wordpress.com/2010/10/05/almond-milk-yogurt/ It’s still a work in progress but I’m sure you can Heabify it!

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Michelle,
Hmm, sounds like we’re on the same wavelength these days. :) Thanks for the links. Will definitely be checking them out soon!

Dea October 5, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Hi! Did you make your coconut milk keifer with water or milk grains? I’ve made coconut water keifer with water grains (so good!) and I want to try almond milk keifer, but I wonder if I should use water or milk grains. hmmmm….

HEAB October 5, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Dea,
I’ve only used the milk grains, never the water. Would love to try it – offer still stand to send me some?

Sonya October 5, 2010 at 11:13 pm

I just came across the recipe for cashew yogurt mentioned above and was going to suggest it, but someone beat me to it :( … sounds like lots of yummy options. Can’t wait to hear what you try :) I can’t wait to try some of them myself!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) October 6, 2010 at 3:36 am

I’m sorry I don’t have any yogurt making recipes to offer, but I feel your pain–literally–on the whey issue! UGH!! :(

If you come up with a recipe for a yogurt that you can tolerate or you find a brand that works for you, I suggest mixing yogurt, thick Greek style preferably, with avocado and then using it as a veggie dip or potato/salad topper! YUM :D

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 8:38 am

J3nn,
Love the idea of the yogurt/avocado veggie dip. Sounds right up my ally. :)

MizFit October 6, 2010 at 5:00 am

A YOGURT MAKER?!
why and how did I not even know this existed.

I want that.

Scott in Ohio October 6, 2010 at 7:13 am

Just in case you needed one MORE person to mention oatgurt…

I started my first batch in over a year yesterday morning. Should be ready to go tomorrow morning.

I’ve missed it. Can’t wait to put some local honey, apples, and cinnamon in it.

I think the HEABlet is going to like it. :-)

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 8:37 am

Scott,
I think you’re right. The HEABlet needs to experience oatgurt soon. :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit October 6, 2010 at 7:23 am

I actually just came across a recipe for sesame seed/sunflower seed yogurt in my natural foods cookbook. It looks awesome, but I haven’t tried it myself yet. Let me know if you want the recipe! It looks simple.

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 8:36 am

Annie,
I’m going to try a few of the ones I was given with goat or coconut milk. However, I might be emailing you soon for the sunflower seed one. Sounds delish, and I love simple!

charlotte October 6, 2010 at 7:54 am

Oh wow – I’ve got no dairy-free yogurt recipes but I hope you’ll share yours when you (inevitably) find a good one! PS> I thought you already posted a soy milk yogurt recipe on here? Or goat’s milk?? Or maybe I’m delusional…

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 8:35 am

Charlotte,
It was almond milk, but it tasted more like almond milk pudding. Good, but I missed the tartness of yogurt. :(

Gina October 6, 2010 at 9:29 am

Have you tried the goat milk yogurt from Coach Farms? They have it at WF here in new york. It’s super-thick, even thicker than Fage, which took me some getting used to. It’s a very decadent treat on occasion! I’m not sure if they strain it or not, but it’s probably the closest you’ll find to cow milk greek yogurt. Maybe you can figure out how to replicate it. We also get some tasty sheeps milk yogurt from Valley Shepherd Creamery in NJ.

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Gina,
No, I have not tried the Coach Farms brand, but it sounds wonderful. Will definitely be on the lookout for it. Thanks!

Beth October 6, 2010 at 11:15 am

the spunky coconut has a dairy free recipe.

love you blog!

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Thanks for reading Beth, and yes, several other commenters mentioned the Spunky Coconut’s recipe. Definitely going to try it soon. :)

Jennifer R October 6, 2010 at 2:53 pm

see Kelly’s blog at
as she just posted another yogurt recipe today!! and she is gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free too. I have her cookbook and it’s awesome!!

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Thanks Jennifer. Trying Kelly’s recipe tonight! :)