Mustard Update

by HEAB on October 6, 2010

So, CD and I are still loving on some mustard! If you missed the post, please click here to guess the date on which you think we’ll finish off our Costco-sized container for a chance to win a jar of Naturally Nutty cashew butter.

Some mustard-filled meals I’ve been enjoying as of late…

Salmon salad made with canned wild salmon, hummus, and mustard, and topped with the last of Sylvia’s sun dried tomatoes. Sylvia, so sad they’re gone. :(

Kale sauteed in butter with mustard stirred in at the end and topped with goat cheese and a Southwest Sunshine Burger

And today’s lunch: a grainless wrap…

1 flourless crepe made with 2 eggs, 1/4 tsp baking powder, mustard and fresh basil & filled with with avocado, bacon, and goat cheese

Now it’s time for some 2-ingredient fudge. Hope you’re having an excellent Wednesday!

Sami October 6, 2010 at 2:04 pm

LOVE the flourless crepes! i like mine sweetened :)

JenniferLeah October 6, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Oh MY! They all look delish and those crepes sound amaaaaazing!

Namaste Gurl October 6, 2010 at 2:10 pm

YUM–that’s all I can say. Can I please come over for not dinner, but EVERY MEAL?!? Haha, I’d sure love living under your roof :) .
Love, love, LOVE the fat, as you know we’re on the same page for that :) Must try the grainless wrap, sans bacon and the kale with goat cheese and sunshine burger!

Have a wonderful afternoon, H! I’m off to eat me some leftover spaghetti squash….

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Namaste,
You’re welcome at our table anytime! :)

VeggieGirl October 6, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Mmmmm mustard! Such a versatile condiment (definitely started to spell that last word differently…. aye haha ;) ).

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 5:56 pm

VG,
Get your mind out of the gutter! ;)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg October 6, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Man…I’m thinking I WAY overestimated the amount of time!! Drat! :-)

Emily October 6, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Looove that the mustard is going to such good use. I am not a huge mustard lover on its own, but have used it in dressing, interested in mixing it with hummus and canned salmon, looks good!

Laura October 6, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Never been a mustard girl myself, but those crepes would be enough to tempt even ME!!x

Clairerose C October 6, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Hmmm…I may leave the brown rice wrap out tomorrow and use the egg crepe method.Another reason to look forward to breakfast:-)cc

Felicia October 6, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I really need to try the flourless crepe idea! Tonight I’ll have to :)

Bridget October 6, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Hey heather,
Thanks for the flourless crepe recipe. I tried it with my lunch today and it was great!

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Bridget,
So glad you enjoyed. :)

Cindy October 6, 2010 at 2:48 pm

and I just happen to have a bucket of eggs that need using up.

speaking of bacon…Hadn’t had any in ages but the freezer’s bout out of meat of any kind and I found some and added it to a batch of chili I was making, with poblano chilis in it too

my guys had a heart attack it was so good.

my husband informed me I bought “another mustard” by mistake.
I laughed.

no…I just thought only “one “extra one in the pantry was a bit scarry. spicy brown mustard??? Grey Poupon???
would you just make a cook book ??

Thanks

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Cindy,
Bacon makes everything better…and one can never have too many mustards in their pantry. ;)

Laura October 6, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Do you happen to remember what brand of canned salmon you bought? I bought some for the first time to make salmon patties and there was lots of skin and bones to pick out. It was pretty gross! Maybe I just got a bad brand?

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Laura,
Yes, it was the Bear & Wolf Wild Alaskan canned salmon: http://dealnay.com/775664/bear-wolf-pink-salmon-6-6-oz-cans.html. We buy it at Costco. Love it because it tastes really fresh and no skin or bones. I would definitely recommend it over the brand you bought. Sorry about the grossness! :(

Marisa @ Loser for Life October 6, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I just made crepes (using oat flour) last night and they were great! So versatile! I like your flourless ones, too – I’ll have to try them next!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 6, 2010 at 3:21 pm

This post is making my want more mustard! I was on a huge kick a few months ago but just stopped and havent picked up the bottle since..I think that’ll have to change..

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Mary,
I think so too. :)

Kelly October 6, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Mustard is one of my favorite condiments…I recently tried Cranberry Mustard and it was really good. I believe it was made by the company, Beaver.

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Kelly,
Oh my gosh, I love the Beaver line of mustard. We can’t get it here in Nashville, but another blogger sent a bottle of their sweet hot mustard, and it was so good. I can only imagine what the cranberry one must taste like. Please enjoy some for me! :)

Kristina @ spabettie October 6, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I so need to try those flourless crepes…

I’m sticking to my mustard date !! :)

Tyrah October 6, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I was so afraid when the first photo loaded that they were oats…and there was mustard in them ;)

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Tyrah,
Hehe…sounds like something I would try. ;)

Shelby October 6, 2010 at 3:53 pm

If I ate eggs I’d be all over that crepe! But then again, I act a fool for anything avocado (:

Ana October 6, 2010 at 3:53 pm

The wrap looks awesome, I need to try making that! How big is your skillet HEather, 10 inches? I have been drooling over your flourless crepes every time you post a pic. This wrap did it, I am going to make one for myself! With goat cheese and avocados because I love those too – I even had both with some chicken, spinach, arugula and red peppers today for lunch, total yum!
Ah, update on my experiment: today I bought goat milk to make goat yogurt, I will let you know how it turns out.

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Ana,
Not sure – might be a 12 inch skillet, but definitely at least 10. I know you’ll love the flourless crepes. So would Matheus You should make him one filled with PB and banana or some chocolate! And yes, please let me know how the goat milk yogurt turns out…trying a coconut version tonight myself. :)

Alyssa October 6, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Looks so good! I don’t remember if I’ve busted my guess yet. How far along are you with the mustard destruction? :-)

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Alyssa,
Definitely making some headway…I don’t want to say how much we’ve eaten exactly as that would give you an unfair advantage. ;)

alex October 6, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Ooh that wrap looks yummy! I have made a couple of those for breakfast and spread some chocolate coconut butter on them. I also think I will try adding cocoa powder to my flourless crepe next time!

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Alex,
Yes, chocolate crepe – brilliant! I might add peanut flour too – it would be like one big Reese’s crepe. :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 6, 2010 at 4:57 pm

The flourless crepe looks fantastic.

So in a few weeks will you give us an update on the mustard? Maybe take a pic of inside the bottle?

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Holly,
Sure, but I’ll have to close the comments on the guess the date post then. Wouldn’t want to give anyone an unfair advantage. ;)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 6, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Oh that wrap looks awesome, even though I cant eat it, I want to :)

And the sunshine burger, yum!

Mustard is my Hero. You go girl!!

Stefanie October 6, 2010 at 5:07 pm

More mustard the better. I too like it in my kale. :)

Kelly Michelle October 6, 2010 at 5:48 pm

I still need to try those crepes!! They are so right up my alley

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Kelly Michelle,
What are you waiting for? :)

Kelly Michelle October 6, 2010 at 6:26 pm

A personal invitation I guess…. and now I have one :)

rebecca lustig October 6, 2010 at 6:04 pm

if i had to choose only ONE condiment to have for the rest of my life. itd be mustard. dijon, honey, spicy, deli– the possibilites are endless.

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Rebecca,
I knew there was a reason I really liked you. ;)

Tamar October 6, 2010 at 6:08 pm

I’ve never heard of putting baking powder in eggs–I’m assuming it’s to fluff them up a little? I’m surprised that works in something as quick cooking as eggs…can you taste the acidity at all?

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Tamar,
Yes, the baking powder helps fluff the eggs a bit – makes them more crepe-like rather than egg-like. Does that make sense? And no, I cannot taste the acidity at all, but by the time I add topping or fillings, I can’t really taste much of the crepe. Sometimes I go sweet, and sometimes I go savory, and the crepe itself really doesn’t taste like much.

BroccoliHut October 6, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Mmm mustardy kale sounds kind of a amazing!

Katie October 6, 2010 at 7:36 pm

You know me and mustard. I had dinner all planned for tonight, and now…well, I may have had eggs for lunch, but who says you can’t have them for lunch and dinner right? Savory flourless crepes, I’ve got avocado again…life is as it should be.

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Katie,
I could eggs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner – no shame, especially when avocado is involved. :)

Namaste Gurl October 6, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Oh, and I forgot to tell you I made you’re pizza crepe– I went the whole yard and added goat cheese, tomato paste and all the shizz. It turned out yummy–thanks, H! :) Check out the post on my blog about it, I think you’ll enjoy it!

Paige @ Running Around Normal October 6, 2010 at 8:08 pm

I love those Sunshine burgers! The southwest flavors are delicious:)

HEAB October 6, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Paige,
I always get garden herb or falafel. First experience with the SW version – delicious! :)

Samantha October 6, 2010 at 8:49 pm

I must try that grainless wrap. We go in phases with mustard, sometimes loving it, sometimes not so much.

There’s a photo I need to email you since my love of all things squash was born here…the wee and I picked up a butternut squash yesterday that’s half as tall as his little 4 year old self!

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 8:09 am

Samantha,
That is great – I must see this larger than life squash! :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) October 6, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I love Sunshine burgers!! Their ingredients are so wholesome. It’s hard to find veggie patties that are gluten AND soy free. Yum!

That grainless wrap is right up my alley. I’m doing grain/legume free this month. :)

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 8:10 am

J3nn,
Yes, I love the ingredients of the Sunshine Burgers. Definitely my favorite!

Song October 6, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Hi Heather!!!
Yay for goat cheese!!!! I baked sweet potatoes yesterday, cut one of them half then filled with some goat cheese and cinnamon….. ummmmmm so good!!!
Just wanted to let you know. : )
Have a good evening!!

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 8:10 am

Song,
Thanks for letting me know…I need to try that. Love a good sweet/savory combo!

Mimi (Gingersnaps) October 7, 2010 at 12:02 am

Lately I’ve been in love with horseradish mustard! It tastes so great with ketchup and sardines!

One of my roommates uses it in tofu-broccoli stir-fries. It smells good, but I’ve never tasted it. And I’m not a soy fan.

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 8:12 am

Mimi,
I love horseradish, period! It’s really good mixed up with mashed avocado – my interpretation of Arby’s Horsey sauce which I sometimes dream about. Hehe. I have a can of sardines…hmm, now you’ve got me thinking. ;)

Carolyn October 7, 2010 at 3:24 am

Those crepe wraps look awesome…

sophia October 7, 2010 at 4:29 am

I kind of wish I can give you this AWESOMe mustard I have from Napa Valley. IT’s a spicy apple mustard, and so. freaking. good.

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 8:12 am

Sophia,
Yeah, I’m kind of wishing for the same thing. ;)

a Teenage Gourmet October 7, 2010 at 7:07 am

I went to my first Harris Teater yesterday, so seeing your coconut milk can in the fudge post was pretty thrilling! :) I’ll definitely try that soon. I’m glad that you enjoyed the butternut fudge! I’ll be making it again and again.

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 8:13 am

Sami,
That’s why I had to make more fudge…I was all out of the butternut stuff you made (so good by the way!), and I had total fudge brain. Hope you enjoyed Furman and Davidson…but not as much as Vanderbilt. ;)

eatmovelove October 7, 2010 at 10:30 am

Wow, that looks so good HEAB…

I don’t see any signs of the mustard though…mine takes up like half my plate :)

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 11:33 am

Eatmovelove,
Lots of mustard cooked IN everything – trust me, it’s there. ;)

Dorry October 7, 2010 at 10:57 am

HEAB! I’ve been traveling up a storm but I’m back in Dallas and excited to start reading again everyday. I hope you are feeling well and I need to go back and read some posts now. :) xoxo

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 11:32 am

Thanks Dorry. I’m feeling great. Glad you’re back! :)

Mallory October 7, 2010 at 11:08 am

going to try that wrap….bacon avocado goat cheese…lovely lovely combo. i have never ‘creped’ before but i think i have some of the baking powder stuff(? i think haha)

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 11:32 am

Mallory, the crepe will still work without the baking powder…it will just come out more omelet-like…and nothing wrong with a bacon, avocado, and goat cheese stuffed omelet! :)

Jennifer O'Neill October 7, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Hi Heather,
Just a question (maybe two) about the crepe. It’s just eggs and baking powder…no milk or any other liquid? And 2, do you put anything in your pan before you add the eggs? I’m wondering about it sticking.

Thanks!
Jennifer

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Hey Jennifer,
Yep, just 2 eggs whisked together with baking powder, and I do make sure my pan is greased just a bit, either with a smear of butter or leftover bacon grease. :)

{ 2 trackbacks }