Coconut Milk Yogurt Attempt #1

by HEAB on October 7, 2010

Several of you sent me The Spunky Coconut’s Dairy Free Yogurt recipe, and so I decided to give it a try last night…with a few HEABifications.

First I brought 6 cups of HEABified coconut milk (perhaps mistake #1) along with 1 TBSP of honey (the yogurt cultures need some sugar to feed on) to a simmer on the stove-top. I didn’t have any gelatin, and so I subbed 1.5 TBSP of tapioca starch (definitely mistake #2).

I then removed my coconut milk + honey + tapioca starch from the heat, poured it in a stainless steel bowl and placed it in a sink of cold water, whisking away until the temperature dropped to 92℉ and then added 1 container of Oikos chocolate Greek yogurt as my starter culture. To keep it dairy free, you could add some store bought coconut milk yogurt, starter grains, or probiotic capsules, but I happen to have some Oikos on hand.

IMG_6172.JPG IMG_6171.JPG

I then poured my yogurt into my yogurt maker (thanks again Carolyn) and allowed it to incubate for 12 hours. Oops…was aiming for 10 hours, but slept a little longer than planned.

I was so excited to check on my yogurt this morning, but I wouldn’t really call it yogurt per say…it was more like cultured coconut milk. It tasted great – love that yogurt tang, but it was not thick at all. However, I’m hoping that after it chills in the fridge for a while it will thicken up a bit.

I think using coconut milk straight from the can rather than my HEABified version would have worked better, and I probably should have used at least a 1/4 cup tapioca starch rather than just 1.5 TBSP. Oh well, at least it tastes good, and I do love a good kitchen experiment.

Until I get the yogurt right, I’ll just keep snacking on my 2-ingredient fudge

Shameless self-promotion ;)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 7, 2010 at 11:38 am

It’s drinkable yogurt!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 7, 2010 at 11:42 am

Nothing wrong as long as it tastes good!!! :)

VeggieGirl October 7, 2010 at 11:44 am

Rock that self-promotion!! You rock, HEAB.

Cindy October 7, 2010 at 11:52 am

You’ll get it…I have faith in you!

also, later today I’ll get my post up, but I will shamelessly promote you too!

that fudge is INSANE.
I took some while it was soft and rolled it in FALL colored sprinkles and brought some to work for a taste test. (wish I had my camera)

I’m thinking truffles now!

eatmovelove October 7, 2010 at 11:53 am

There’s nothing shameful about you or this blog girl.

Coming here is like a little piece of heavan to me.

Thank you for that.

…or maybe it’s the fudge that’s got me all emotional ;)

Bridget October 7, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I’m all about the shameless self-promotion. Especially when it comes to fudge!

melissa @ the delicate place October 7, 2010 at 12:09 pm

ahh i was hoping to see a dairy free yogurt not using tofu! i hope it thickens up a bit. keep us posted!

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Melissa,
I think it would have if I would have used gelatin or more tapioca starch…not giving up yet! :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 7, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I am curious to know if it thickens up. I always have probiotic capsules here, so I would be willing to get a yogurt maker if that works!

Christina @ ilovefetacheese October 7, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Awesome work HEAB! Love it…let us know if it thickens! PS NEED coconut choco fudge in my belly right now! Gonna make some tonight :)

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Christina,
Enjoy your fudge! :)

Justine October 7, 2010 at 12:10 pm

So, essentially, you created HEABified ‘go-gurt’? Ha! I have never made my own yogurt, but my boyfriend has been successful before.

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Justine,
Haha – yes, yes I did! :)

Emily October 7, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Mistake #2 might have been using flavored yogurt. When I’m making (dairy) yogurt in my crock pot, it will thicken only if nothing else (fruit, flavors, whatever) has been added.

But hey, if it tastes good…! :)

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Thanks Emily – good to know!

Hands in Namaste October 7, 2010 at 12:55 pm

what about blending some of that fudge with the yogurt ;-) ?

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Hands In Namaste.
I like it! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 7, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Something about making yogurt, it can be tricky. IF you are using coconut milk, I highly recommend using full fat. Need to go check your recipe linkback how you make yours, but in vegan baking/unbaking full fat is where it’s at and I have a recipe for vegan fudge and if you don’t use full fat coconut milk, it really won’t set up properly and somehow is a bit runny. Sorta sounds like your yogurt situation. Not that yogurt or fudge is every “bad” but just not exactly what you intended.

Have a super day!

I emailed you and my contact, will LYK if I hear anything back :)

Emily October 7, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Keep trying girl! I have sort of given up on yogurt since going cow-dairy free so…if you were to create a really good HEABified verious, I would have to try it :) Always gotta go for the shameless self promition, too…although I didn’t see much of anything past that fudge, looks sooo good!

Andrea (@ Puppy Dog Scales) October 7, 2010 at 1:44 pm

So, if you come up to MD…bring some of that fudge with you. ;)

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Andrea,
Ha – will do! :)

Ana October 7, 2010 at 1:56 pm

See, my experiment with the goat yogurt also turned out more liquidy than I wanted, however, it was thick like drinkable yogurt – not watery or liquid like milk. But I know that the reason why it turned like “drinkable” yogurt is because I didn’t use enough starter. I will experiment further and take some better pictures so I can post on the blog.
I didn’t think about using greek yogurt as a starter, sounds like a good idea.
I learned though that you should never use a yogurt with gelatin in it for the strater as the yogurt won’t set properly. Interesting that your recipe for coconut yogurt actually do ask for gelatin…
I love yogurt and I love making it myself, always fun to experiment!

Katie October 7, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I’ve heard that you are only supposed to use plain yogurt as a starter. Something about the additives from the flavoring maybe?

I make a super thick chocolate sauce with tapioca starch, and it is about the consistency of yogurt, but I use about 1 1/2 T for 2 cups of water. So, more like 5 T if you use 6 cups?

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Katie,
Yeah, that chocolate coconut pie I made recently called for 4 TBSP tapioca starch, and so I’m definitely going to use more next time along with plain yogurt as my starter…or I could just make your thick chocolate sauce instead, swallow a probiotic capsule, and call it a day. ;)

Katie October 7, 2010 at 6:20 pm

I’ve definitely had the chocolate sauce in my coffee with a side of a probiotic pill for breakfast pretty much every day for the last 2 weeks. :)

Oh, you inspired me to get a rotisserie chicken. Thanks!

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Katie,
Nice. Did some major damage to that chicken today…so good. :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 7, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I hope your yogurt thickens up — curious what the actual yogurt maker does? Does it constantly stir the mixture or it keeps it cold?

Keep showing pics of that fudge — it will convince me to make some soon! Although I’m not giving up on the choc rice bread. I think my problem yesterday was not using coconut oil (or any oil for that matter in the bottom of my pan…)

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Holly,
The yogurt maker does nothing but keep the yogurt warm. It makes the process easier, but it’s really not necessary as I’ve made yogurt just using a ceramic bowl and a heat lamp, and a lot of people use a crockpot on low, and yes, try the rice bread with oil. Hope it works better next time, but like I said, I still think your chocolate rice mush looked yummy. :)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather October 7, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Any thoughts on how to make coconut milk yogurt without a yogurt maker? I would love to be able to indulge in creamy yogurt.

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Heather,
That’s what I’m hoping to do. I think the above recipe would work much better if I had used gelatin. Mine tasted good but did not end up getting thick.

Beth @ bride in the little white dress October 7, 2010 at 3:11 pm

What a yummy combo, coconut yogurt topped with homemade fudge….just sayin’ :) hahaha I guess you couldn’t use xanthan or guar gum?

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Beth,
I thought about the gums, but I didn’t want the yogurt to come out all gummy. Those two are tricky ingredients to work with sometimes. Perhaps I’ll just forget the yogurt and stick to fudge! :)

Stefanie October 7, 2010 at 3:13 pm

It would probably be good in cereal. :)

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Stefanie,
I thought the same thing and was kicking myself for not having any PB Puffins on hand. ;)

Lisa October 7, 2010 at 3:15 pm

That fudge looks so good! Yummy! =)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 7, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Kind of like those yogurt shakes..I forgot what they’re called but they sell them in the stores :P I used to have one everyday! lol

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Mary,
Yeah, another commenter told me I made HEABified Go-Gurt. ;)

Laura October 7, 2010 at 5:48 pm

That fudge looks and sounds delicious, I am going to make it this weekend!

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Enjoy Laura! :)

Shelby October 7, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Okay, that’s it. I’m going to buy the ingredients for that fudge tonight!!

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Shelby,
Enjoy. :)

Little Bookworm October 8, 2010 at 5:58 am

Sorry the yogurt did not work out as planned! This post has reminded me that I need to make that fudge, bookmarked the recipe now. :)

{ 3 trackbacks }