From Failure To Success

by HEAB on October 7, 2010

So, my coconut milk yogurt never did thicken, but that’s okay as it’s still yummy. Today has been super busy. I started it off with a visit to the doctor. Everything with the HEABlet is looking good. Her heartbeat was fast and strong, and all is good with mama as well. I’m at 34 weeks, blood pressure is low as usual, and my weight gain thus far is still at 15 pounds. Only 6 weeks to go – can you believe it?!?

Anyway, after the doctor I had some errands to run and then decided that I wanted…no I NEEDED a rotisserie chicken. So, I stopped by the grocery to pick one up and came home to make myself a delicious lunch. Inspired by Maggie’s Best Coconutty Butternutty Rice Ever, but lacking many of her ingredients, I whipped up the following…

Into the rice cooker went one cup of brown Basmati rice, 2 cups of my liquid coconut yogurt, 1 heaping spoonful of curry powder, and about a cup of frozen peas. While that cooked, I deboned my chicken while trying not to devour it. I love the dark meat! After my rice finished cooking, I scooped out about a cup and stirred in some of the chicken, diced leftover roasted squash, and cinnamon.

Mmm, squash! I thought this was kabocha, but I think I actually bought a buttercup. Oh well, it’s orange and sweet, and I’ve never met a winter squash I didn’t like. :)

So good! Thanks for the inspiration Maggie, and speaking of Maggie, I’d also like to thank her for her very thoughtful gift she sent me a few weeks back…

Cookbooks and a breast feeding guide from La Leche League, an awesome gift for any mama-to-be. Thanks again Maggie!

Oh gosh, I am so full right now. Note to self: do not scarf down half a chicken prior to eating your lunch. Bad idea…very.bad.idea. ;)

Kayla October 7, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Ooh, I have the Whole Foods For The Whole Family book. Some good recipes and inspiration in there.

I don’t think I’ve actually ever had squash! But it looks good!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 7, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Glad everything is going well with you and the little princess! Lunch sounds really good. I wonder if any of your gums would have thickened the yogurt up? You are so good at finding uses for things too. I am impressed you put that yogurt to work on a meal right away. The dark meat thing cracks me up…you and Max with your brussels sprouts and dark meak and bacon. Enjoy your afternoon Heather!

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Sarena,
Thought about using the gums, but afraid the yogurt would come out gummy. Those two are some tricky ingredients to work with sometimes. Love Max. :)

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad October 7, 2010 at 3:33 pm

OH yayayayayay! I’m so glad you liked the recipe and I hope you can make good use of the cookbooks too. Maybe the HEABlet will like the cookies that my mom used to make me (they’re healthyish).

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Maggie,
Thanks again for the idea. Ate the rest of the rice for dinner. So yummy, and I’m sure both the HEABlet and I would love the cookies. I’ll have to look up the recipe. :)

Ana October 7, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Heather, that rice looks delicious! And it is actually almost exactly like something that me and Matheus both love to make here at home: mix squash puree with cooked brown rice and season with salt, pepper and butter, it is heaven in a plate, we call it “squash risotto” because it really does taste like that!
I love winter squashes and have been having my share of them already, pumpkin and butternut galore.
In fact, I just took my son to the doctor this week and soon after he entered the room and said hi to both of us, he turned at me and asked “so Mom, do you eat lots of orange vegetables?”… omg, I was devastated, literally feeling like a walking carrot. I guess all my squash/pumpkin consumption is showing on my skin, not cool, huh?!
The hardest thing though is not want to eat it as I really love my winter orange veggies!

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Ana,
Squash risotto sounds so simple and delicious. Heaven on a plate indeed. Good luck with the orange glow…been there. It eventually went away, but for months my friends thought I had a serious problem with fake tanning lotions. ;)

Ana October 8, 2010 at 7:43 am

Omg Heather, now I am wondering if I am really that yellow…!
Did you stop eating pumpkin/squash until it went away?

Ana October 7, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Ps: love that you already used some of your coconut yogurt! I just had some of my goat yogurt this afternoon too, with vanilla and …pumpkin!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 7, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Always nice to hear a good check up! I can’t believe your almost done! Then, I’m not too far behind you. Eep!

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Tina,
I know, those first few months were awful, and I didn’t feel like they would ever end. However, the 2nd and 3rd trimesters are flying by!

Cindy October 7, 2010 at 4:16 pm

oh boo the yogurt never thickened but WOW what a great rice idea!

I used to buy a chicken a week but haven’t in a while.

I wish I had a whole foods nearby! I need to google it!

MMMMM

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 7, 2010 at 4:18 pm

haha what? Nothing wrong with a half-chicken appetizer ;)
Glad everything’s going great with the HEABlet! :D

Krystina October 7, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Like HEABified rice a roni!

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Krystina,
Yes, and even better than rice a roni…I think. Been a while since I had it. ;)

Samantha October 7, 2010 at 4:24 pm

So many lovely folks sending you guys wonderful gifts! Yay for good Dr’s visits!

Sometimes, a rotisserie chicken (even with some of the stuff injected in!) tastes SOOO good.

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Samantha,
Agreed…not sure what makes those rotisserie chickens so good, but sometimes I just need one!

Kristina @ spabettie October 7, 2010 at 4:36 pm

this rice looks and sounds amazing…

only six weeks! HOW EXCITING !!! :D (but… GOSH, I don’t know if that mustard will hold out…) ;)

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Kristina,
Hehe – I know…might have to restock the mustard sooner than planned.

jodye @ 'scend food October 7, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I’ve totally bought a buttercup squash thinking it was a kabocha before, but like you, I’ve never met a squash I didn’t like. I find that I eat an inordinate amount of bright orange foods, which is maybe why my hair stays so red? Anyway, your rice idea is so amazing, great use of an unsuccessful experiment! I’ve actually been thinking about coconut rice lately… yum

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Jodye,
That rice was so good. Just finished off the rest for dinner and hope to make more soon. The buttercup is good, but it’s so mushy compared to kabocha. However, I’m with you in that I love all my bright orange foods, mush and all.

Lola October 7, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Glad to hear everything is well with you and the little Heablet :)
Hey what’s the difference of a kabocha squash and a buttercup? how do you tell them apart before tasting them?
Have a nice thursday :)

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Lola,
You would think I’d know as I actually did a post about the difference last year: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/01/19/kabocha-vs-buttercup/. Ha, should have reread this before going squash shopping. :)

Felicia October 7, 2010 at 5:33 pm

My post earlier was called “A successful failure” hah! Mistakes cannn lead to good things :)

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Felicia,
Yes, they can. Loving that coconut rice – just finished off the rest for dinner. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 7, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Rice cooker…so I JUST bought a slow cooker last week and today posted my first ever meal made in it…vegan chili. I forgot to add nut butter in it or it woulda been like CD’s AB chili :) except vegan and pretty much everything else different but I want to add nut butter next time.

But I was considering also getting a rice cooker b/c ppl who have both slow AND rice cookers, tell me they prefer their rice cooker. And the next dilema is to buy a cheaper one, or buy a Zojirushi, which is like the Vitamix of rice cookers. Such dilemmas.

LMK what you have and if you like it, recommend it, etc!

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Averie,
Oh gosh, that’s a tough one as I love both my rice cooker and crockpot. My rice cooker is some cheapo model from Target and honestly, it’s not that great. However, I do love how it easy it is to cook rice – definitely gets the job done, but we use our crockpot a lot more, but only for meat. If I was meatless, then I’d probably be just fine with my rice cooker. :)

kelli October 7, 2010 at 5:50 pm

have you tried making coconut milk yogurt using agaragar flakes, I know soymilk yogurt works like that so try it with coconut milk :)

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Kelli,
No, but I’ve seen a few recipes using agar agar and I have some. Might try that next.

Dorry October 7, 2010 at 5:56 pm

That looks delish! I LOVE hearty rice dishes. When we lived in Belize and fresh veggie options were limited, we’d make a rice + black beans +freshly caught shrimp dish that was so good. Topped with avocado of course and a splash of lime. I want some right now! Also, we registered for a rice cooker and that was one of the gifts we didn’t receive…BUT we have gift cards and I think it’s the 1st thing I’ll buy. :)

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Dorry,
Love my rice cooker. It’s a cheap one from Target, but it makes cooking rice so easy. Your Belize dish sounds yummy…but anything with shrimp, avocado, and lime makes me happy. :)

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan October 7, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Great idea for using up the so-so yogurt! :)

Emily Elizabeth (since there are a lot of Emily's out there) October 7, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Your lunch sounds delicious! I never knew you could add other ingredients to the rice cooker! That’s awesome. I always just did water and rice and would stir the cooked rice into the dish I prepared later. I love the way you are creative with what you have in the house. Sometimes the best recipes are created that way!

HEAB October 7, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Emily,
Oh gosh, so many possibilities when it comes to the rice cooker. Cooking the rice in chicken broth or coconut milk adds so much flavor. You can make it sweet by adding sweetener, cinnamon, & dried fruit or go for savory like I did today by adding spices or herbs. Throw in a few frozen veggies with the rice, and voila – you have an instant meal! :)

Emily October 8, 2010 at 5:48 am

Oh my goodness, you have opened up a world of possibilities for me!!! I love the sweet idea with the dried fruit! I can’t wait to try this!… I think I’m seeing a chocolate rice pudding on the horizon too! (Do you know if it works with a thicker liquid like tomato sauce or is that pushing it too far?)

eatmovelove October 7, 2010 at 7:49 pm

I have that problem every night while making dinner – I eat so much of what I’m preparing while I’m preparing it…and still eat the full meal afterwards. You are much more positive about it than I.

But that does look so good! And isn’t dark meat the best? It’s Thanksgiving in Canada this weekend and that’s what I always think of too.

Nicole October 7, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Your lunch looks fabulous! Sometimes I walk by the rotisserie chicken and everything I had planned for dinner gets thrown out the window. It’s so good, fairly cheap and you can get so many meals out of it!!

HEAB October 9, 2010 at 7:55 am

Nicole,
I know! Sometimes I buy one and just sit with nothing but the chicken a fork. Ha, so good! :)

Melissa October 7, 2010 at 7:57 pm

I have a favorite winter squash self created recipe which you might enjoy. I basically roast ( insert your preferred variety ) the squash to tenderness. In the meantime, slice a peach and add a bit of light coconut milk and honey (or maple syrup) in a medium pan on low heat. I combine the squash to the peachy goodness and cook to a nice flavor combination. My apologies for my recipe delivery skills. I’ve also subbed the peach with pineapple and sometimes I add carrots. An added bonus is all of the lovely color on your plate. Enjoy.

HEAB October 9, 2010 at 7:54 am

Melissa,
Peachy squash? I love it! That sounds wonderful, and I’m kind of kicking myself for not buying a peach after eyeing one at the store yesterday! ;)

Emily October 7, 2010 at 8:43 pm

That rice dish looks awesome! I really really need to finally try curry…I don’t know what I’m so scared of! And I do love a good cookbook…any kind really :)

HEAB October 9, 2010 at 7:53 am

Emily,
Try that rice – it was so good. Even CD ate some, and he is not a rice person. Curry is nothing to fear – I promise. Use at least 1 TBSP! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 7, 2010 at 8:49 pm

It absolutely amazes me that you have only gained 15 pounds with your pregnancy!! What’s the magic secret?

HEAB October 9, 2010 at 7:52 am

Chelsey,
Honestly, I’m surprised myself. I just eat when hungry, and I’ve been listening to my cravings. I was so scared I would gain way too much weight, but I haven’t. Just proves that if you stick with healthy eating habits and stay active, pregnancy is nothing to fear. Our bodies were made to do this. :)

Exercise and Eat October 7, 2010 at 8:53 pm

I’m getting so excited for the HEABlet! Can’t even imagine how happy you must be:)

Carolyn October 7, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Totally wonderful use of the yogsoup!! That looks really good. I never would have made it that far.. Chicken and squash would just gotten eaten as i went…glad you made such a pretty meal…

Michelle (@ Housewife in the Raw) October 7, 2010 at 9:30 pm

15lbs so far is impressive. I gained 40 lb. with each of my pregnancies, even with eating really healthy. I lost it all quickly both times, but it was still crazy to see the scale number go up (and up and up). I remember the first time they had to move the big bar over from the 100 lbs to the 150 lbs. I might have almost cried. :)

6 weeks isn’t long at all – I am so excited to read about her arrival! Oh, and if you haven’t already been referred, I really liked “So That’s What They’re For” for a breastfeeding book. It was my favorite by far.

HEAB October 9, 2010 at 7:50 am

Michelle,
Yeah, I’m about 2 pounds shy of the 150 bar…not too excited about that one. However, I’ll know it will go back down post HEABlet. :) Thanks for the book recommendation as I wasn’t aware of that one, and I’m determined to nurse – I really want to make it work!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 7, 2010 at 10:08 pm

That rice dish looks so good — perfect since I’m going to bed now or else I would try to make it and eat it!

15lbs? Thats it? HEAB I love reading your blog and one day when I am pregnant I will have to look back and reread some of these posts– you are certainly inspiring.

HEAB October 9, 2010 at 7:47 am

Thanks Holly. Pregnancy is nothing to fear, and believe me, the thought of it used to scare me death. Despite all the morning/all day sickness, it’s been one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Honestly. :)

Amy October 8, 2010 at 3:37 am

I have the same issue with bbq/roasted chicken :( Especially this one dark bit that’s right behind the leg! I can’t help myself and I almost always eat half the chicken before I dish it up *blush*.

Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy :) It feels forever but goes quickly in hindsight! Mine were so long ago I can hardly remember being that pregnant :P , just remember that I was *so* looking forward to meeting my new baby (or babies in the case of my twins).

HEAB October 9, 2010 at 7:46 am

Amy,
Me too – CANNOT wait to meet the HEABlet but trying to enjoy these last few weeks of feeling those belly kicks. :) P.S. I think the HEABlet really likes the dark meat too. ;)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg October 8, 2010 at 5:53 am

Yay, so glad to hear that everything is good!! Isn’t it crazy how fast time can fly?! I bet you’re so excited to meet her!

Laura (On the Threshold of Greatness) October 8, 2010 at 7:05 am

I adore all winter squashes, too! :D

I love that you got the La Leche League cookbooks. My sister still uses my mom’s 1970s version all the time when she cooks for her children. She loves that old tattered cookbook so much that she’s also purchased some of LLL’s more recent books. Must be something good in there!

HEAB October 9, 2010 at 7:42 am

Laura,
I find the classic cookbooks are usually the best ones! :)

Andrea (@ Puppy Dog Tales) October 8, 2010 at 7:29 am

OH, I love rotisserie chickens. They are the BEST. Finger lickin’ good!

Amy October 8, 2010 at 7:37 am

Yum! Wow, does that 15 pounds include what you lost in the beginning? I’m only 29 weeks and have gained at least 20!

HEAB October 9, 2010 at 7:40 am

Amy,
15 pounds since my first visit with my OB, so about a net gain of 12 thus far. However, it fluctuates a lot. These days I’m having a hard time eating a lot – I get so full. So, I’m trying to eat smaller, but higher calorie meals…read lots of 2-ingredient fudge with full fat coconut milk. :) 20 pounds at 29 weeks sounds right on target to me – you’re doing awesome. :)

marie October 8, 2010 at 10:13 am

Glad to hear that all is well with you and the little one.

And I sometimes NEED a rotisserie chicken, too, and I’m not PG!! They’re just so yummy and so easy to work with, and they’re pretty reasonably priced, too.

Mallory October 8, 2010 at 10:50 am

it doesn matter what it is all the green small squashes here are labeled acorn…haha thats mississippi for you. i wanna tRy cocont yogurt yum.

This:While that cooked, I deboned my chicken while trying not to devour it. I love the dark meat!
I DO THIS EVERYTIME hahaha i have considered no more rotissere’s for me b/c as soon as it comes out the thighs and skin are gone.

yumm…we dont have a lot of winter squashes here yet but i found one called “turban”….you know anything tastwise on this??

HEAB October 9, 2010 at 7:36 am

Mallory,
So happy to hear I’m not the only one who steals all the thigh meat. ;) Never heard of a turban squash. You’ll have to let me know how it tastes.

{ 2 trackbacks }