A Busy Sunday

by HEAB on October 10, 2010

A quick Sunday update for you…

Last night’s dinner with the fam was so much fun and filled with lots of laughter as most gatherings with my family are. We’re an interesting bunch. ;)

From left to right: my brother, my dad, my mom, CD, and my aunt.

There was plenty of almond butter chili and cornbread to go around…

New cornbread recipe from reader Carolyn!

3 eggs

8 ounces sour cream

1/3 cup oil (Carolyn used almond butter, and I used regular butter)

1 small can of creamed corn (8.75 ounces)

2 tsp baking powder

1 cup cornmeal

Pre-heat oven to 375℉. Combine wet ingredients. Add dry and bake for 30 minutes in a greased 9 x 9 dish. I actually used a 12″ cast iron skillet, and the cornbread came out perfect. Delicious. Thanks Carolyn – it was a hit. :)

My aunt’s birthday was Friday (Happy Birthday Vickey!), and she had mentioned wanting to try my grain-free vegan chocolate coconut cream pie. So, I made one for her.

This was all that was left. It’s so good – love that pie!

This morning, I got to meet up with muh favorite peach at church…

Polly, LURVE you so much!!!

Look at the cute dress she and Abbi (Polly’s daughter) picked out for the HEABlet…

So adorable, no? I can just see her in it with some brown tights and little brown boots. The fun I am going to have dressing my little girl! Thanks Polly and Abbi!

After church, I went to a coffee shop to catch up on emails. I finished reading through all of your dad stories from my Naturally Nutty Giveaway post. I know I’m pretty hormonal and emotional these days, but many of your comments brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for all your entries. Again, so many great dads out there!

I got home around 12:30 dreaming of leftover chili…why does it always taste so much better the next day? However, CD had already eaten it. So, I threw together the world’s most random salad…

Spinach topped with rotisserie chicken, chopped avocado, crumbled goat cheese, cornbread crumbs, and a drizzle of Annie’s Honey Mustard Vinaigrette. Odd? Perhaps, but it hit the spot!

Now, it’s time for some NFL football with my hubby, and then we’re off to a wedding tonight at 5. I’m so excited as I get to see CD in a suit. :)

Kristina @ spabettie October 10, 2010 at 2:23 pm

that ‘random’ salad looks GREAT ! I make those a lot… ;)

CUTE HEABlet outfit!! Have fun at the wedding!

Ana October 10, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Omg, that dress is the cutest!! Can’t wait to see how fashion this little heablet will be!

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) October 10, 2010 at 2:29 pm

awww that is a super cute dress!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 10, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Yes you ARE going to have tons of fun dressing your little girl…in fact, it’s one of the best things ever :)

Seeing your man in a suit is always nice, isnt it! Scott doesnt wear suits except a few times a month, every other day it’s business-casual or he’s on the road anyway, but when I do see him in a suit, I always am like damn babe, you clean up good :) 12 years together, 10 yrs married, and a kid later…I’ll take it..haha!

The family dinner and the chili and cornbread…so nice!

So happy you and Polly had time together….I know you two are so close!

HEAB October 11, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Averie,
CD dresses business casual for work everyday. Khaki pants and a short sleeved shirt…every single day, even if it’s 20 degrees outside. He bought a suit this past summer, but it was for an out of town business meeting, and so I never got to see him in it until last night – he looked so handsome. :)

alexi October 10, 2010 at 2:31 pm

cute dress!!!!
has anyone ever told you that your brother looks like Scott Stapp from Creed?? lol maybe it’s just this picture! :)

HEAB October 11, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Alexi,
No, I don’t think Scott has ever been told he looks like Scott Stapp – they even share the same name. I’ll have to ask him. :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit October 10, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Haha, I like seeing my husband dress up too :-) Your salad looks awesome! So excited for you as it gets closer to your baby being born!

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood October 10, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Mmmm yes, our men in suits are always sexy ;)

melissa @ the delicate place October 10, 2010 at 3:36 pm

you look beautiful in your pic with polly! random salad? pah-luheeze. you should see some of the combos that find their way into my serving bowl sized salads haha! enjoy the wedding tonight!

rebecca lustig October 10, 2010 at 3:51 pm

there’s nothing like a man in uniform… or suit. ;)

enjoy!

christina cadden October 10, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Sounds like a great Sunday! Love that picture of you!

Mama Pea October 10, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Oh my stars, just seeing you and Polly together brings tears to my eyes! How I’d love to spend a Sunday afternoon with you amazing ladies!!!

HEAB October 11, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Mama Pea,
You, Polly, and I would have so much fun together…we’ll make it happen someday. :)

Katie October 10, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Wow, busy day you’re having!

That salad sounds great – not random at all. Hard to wrong with avocado and chicken though.

Exercise and Eat October 10, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I love guys in suits! That well-dressed man song is soo true!

eatmovelove October 10, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Oooh – I do hope there will be pics of CD in a suit?! ;)

Gosh HEAB you look absolutely beautiful in that pic with Polly – seriously! Glowing!

…do I need to get pregnant to get that? ;)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 10, 2010 at 5:40 pm

You did have a busy Sunday! Sooo many delicious eats- I *need* to try that pie! And your lil HEABlet’s going to look precious in that dress :)

Hands in Namaste October 10, 2010 at 5:47 pm

OMG little heablet is gonna look ADORABLE!

and that chili always looks delicious! i just got a jar of almond butter in the mail from a friends…can’t wait to try out that chili!

Emily Elizabeth October 10, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Oh my goodness, I love that dress! My husband got the same one in pink and white for our daughter (who is 6 months old now – time really does fly!). I couldn’t figure out what bottoms to put on with it though – bare legs look funny so I put jeans on her which was equally funny looking – haha – leggings would be perfect!!! Who knew I would not only get inspired by your recipes, but by your outfit ideas!

By the way, I have started feeding my daughter “real” food now. The first thing she had was pureed sweet potatoes, then avocado, then brown rice. Thanks to your post the other day which taught me I can put things other than just water and rice in the rice cooker, I cooked the rice in breastmilk and then added more to puree it. She really liked it! Yay! Thanks for writing this blog I very much enjoy it Have fun at the wedding!

HEAB October 11, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Emily,
Thanks again for reading, and I’m so happy to hear you’re experimenting with your rice cooker – breastmilk mixed with the rice is a wonderful idea! I’m definitely going to remember that one. So exciting your daughter is eating real food now – gosh, it goes by fast, huh? :)

Dorry October 10, 2010 at 6:37 pm

I made chili today and agree that it makes for THE BEST leftovers. I want to eat it for every meal. Billy’s been glued to NFL all day long. :) Have fun at the wedding pretty mama! xo

Nicole October 10, 2010 at 7:36 pm

I love that you got to see Polly! And yes she and Abbi have some good taste!!
Hope you had fun at the wedding. I’m expecting pics of CD in his suit!! XOXO

Aunt Vickey October 10, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Excellent dinner on Saturday night, Heather (HEAB) The chile was so good! I bought the ingredients today to make some. Ate the remainder of the pie today-just as good the second day. I love you! thanks again for a great meal and a great time!

HEAB October 11, 2010 at 8:56 am

Vickey,
So glad you were in town this weekend and could make it for dinner. We loved having you guys over – CD is always happy to make his famous chili. Love you too and hope to see you again soon!

grocery goddess jen October 10, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Don’t you hate it when the food you’re dreaming of has been eating by someone else?? Oh well, you made something else wonderful to eat.

HEAB October 11, 2010 at 8:53 am

Grocery Goddess Jen,
Yes, but I forgave CD, and my salad turned out to be really good. The crumbled cornbread was key! :)

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger October 10, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Wow, your “random” salad looks soooo good to me right now! Oh, and that P-I-E is to D-I-E for…ahem, or at least it just looks like it! YUM!

Also, HEAB, you are SO FLIPPIN” GORGEOUS! Seriously, you are just a stunna! I bet that little one of yours is going to be so beautiful! :)

HEAB October 11, 2010 at 8:52 am

Talia,
Thanks so much. :) P.S. Yes, pie was to die for. I love that recipe!

polly October 10, 2010 at 8:56 pm

LURVE YOU SO MUCH!. :D

You brought JOY to my day, muh peach.

Your cuteness is now on my blog. ;)

XOXO

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 11, 2010 at 7:31 am

You and your brother look so much alike! You have such a great family. I am so glad that you are close to them and get to spend time with them! That will come in handy when the little one arrives! Dinner looks delicious! I hope you had a gret time at the wedding!

HEAB October 11, 2010 at 8:51 am

Sarena,
I know – I’m so grateful my family is here in Nashville. They have been beyond helpful these last few months, and I’ve already designated my mom #1 babysitter. Of course, she wouldn’t have it any other way. CD’s family is great too, and even though they’re far away (Arizona), I’ll know his mom and dad would be on a plane in a heartbeat if we needed them. I’m so thankful for both of our families and honestly don’t know what I’d do without either!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 11, 2010 at 8:02 am

We went to a wedding last night too! I <3 seeing the Husband in a suit – he owns a landscaping business so he NEVER dresses up. I get all giddy when he's got a suit coat and sunglasses on!

HEAB October 11, 2010 at 8:42 am

Chelsey,
CD dressed business casual for work everyday. He bought a suit earlier this summer for a business trip, and I had yet to see him in it. Been looking forward to last night for months. Oh my gosh, he looked so cute. Could not stop staring at him. :)

Sagan October 11, 2010 at 8:12 am

That salad sounds fantastic. I’ve been in a huge salad mood lately because the weather has been gorgeous. I’m enjoying mixed greens with almonds, grilled mushrooms, and homemade dressing… crumbled cornbread sounds like a tasty addition!

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free October 11, 2010 at 8:13 am

What a fun day!

I love cornbread cooked in a cast-iron pan–so much more authentic, i think. I just put a recipe up the other day and used brown rice flour (another thing to do with brown rice flour!)

HEAB October 11, 2010 at 8:38 am

Alex,
Yeah, I really need to bust open my bag of brown rice flour…it intimidates me for some reason. Not sure why.

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free October 11, 2010 at 9:24 am

Don’t let it intimidate you!!! It is soo easy to work with, trust me :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 11, 2010 at 8:14 am

The HEABlet is going to be so stylin :) What a cute dress!

I made CD’s chili again, we’re hooked! But I still haven’t made cornbread and here you go again making it. Ok, I MUST make cornbread this week, I can’t handle it!

HEAB October 11, 2010 at 8:33 am

Holly,
Yes, you MUST make cornbread this week. It goes great on top of the chili. :)

Felicia October 11, 2010 at 9:04 am

I’m making chili today, but using butternut squash instead of meat, and loads of beans :) So nice to see you and Polly together! I love weddings, hopefully you have a photo of your belly in a beautiful dress!

HEAB October 11, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Felicia,
Enjoy your butternut squash chili. Sounds yummy. :)

Maria October 11, 2010 at 9:24 am

Your brother is cute! Is he married? haha, just kidding…but he does look cute :)

HEAB October 11, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Marie,
Nope, Scott is not married, and he is really cute. We’re only 15 months apart and super close. Love that boy…he’s going to make a very good husband someday. :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 11, 2010 at 9:31 am

all of these pictures just made me smile ear-to-ear…i love how CD is peeking his head out in the first one and the one of you and Polly…so cute! you girls are both peaches as far as i’m concerned :)

Scott in Ohio October 11, 2010 at 9:36 am

Family looks great, HEAB! It’s so nice to have such close family members. No?

Very cool that you got to meet up with Polly. Love the dress but I thought for sure she’d bring you something “Buckeye”. Haha.

Have a great week HD.

HEAB October 11, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Thanks Scott – yes, I’m so grateful to have such a close family. Both sides are wonderful, and CD and I are very fortunate as is the HEABlet…she’s going to be so spoiled! :) Hope you guys had a good weekend. How was your first oatgurt of the season? ;)

Scott in Ohio October 11, 2010 at 1:58 pm

For as busy as I know you are, your memory is amazing. :-)

First batch of oatgurt (of the season and for our Vita) rocked it. The Vita is so good that it was actually a bit dry but I suffered through. LOL

Thanks to all your commenters for putting the suggestion in my head.

I finished it this morning with some almond butter and cinnamon. Love me some good bacteria.

Thanks for asking. :-)

HEAB October 11, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Scott,
One word: jealous. Not sure what my problem is, but I’ve had oat groats on the grocery list for about 2 weeks now. Need to get to Whole Foods soon…just don’t tell CD. Hehe – doesn’t quite fit into our new grocery budget. ;)

Sonia October 11, 2010 at 12:58 pm

oh gosh i want to send some cute clothes for the heablet! is there a PO Box i should know about missy ?

Pure2raw twins October 12, 2010 at 7:38 pm