I Don’t Get It

by HEAB on October 15, 2010

Last night, CD and I were invited to the grand opening of Pinkberry here in Nashville.

My best friend of the evening…

Everyone was drinking the free champagne, but I was all about the fro-yo…

IMG_6267.JPG IMG_6269.JPG

IMG_6271.JPG IMG_6270.JPG

and the toppings table…

We sampled every flavor: chocolate, coconut, original, mango, pomegranate, and green tea. My favorites were the chocolate and pomegranate. The mango tasted way too sweet, and the green tea was a bit funky. We had a good time, but I really don’t get why everyone is so obsessed with Pinkberry. The yogurt tasted kind of icy to me, and although I did enjoy their signature tang, I prefer my yogurt to be a bit more creamy. Thanks for the invite and for a fun evening Pinkberry, but I think I’ll stick with my beloved Sweet Cece’s. Besides, self-serve yogurt establishments are much more fun!

After last night’s sugar coma, I woke us with sweets on the brain…homemade pop-tarts to the rescue!

IMG_6275.JPG IMG_6276.JPG

I topped one with Naturally Nutty Mocha PB and the other with NN Vanilla PB – Yum!

Don’t forget, today is your last day to enter my Naturally Nutty Giveaway, and ‘ll announce the winners tomorrow. I’ll also leave the comments open for the Pickles & Ice Cream gift certificate and announce that winner tomorrow as well.

Enjoy your Friday, and tell me, are you a Pinkberry fan?

VeggieGirl October 15, 2010 at 8:17 am

Never tried that place – but I love YoCup in San Francisco :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg October 15, 2010 at 8:19 am

I’m a sucker for the tart yogurt chains– but they all taste the same to me!

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free October 15, 2010 at 8:21 am

That looks like so much fun! Wow! Too bad I’m not much of an ice cream person :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 15, 2010 at 8:21 am

I’ve never tried pinkberry and only ever have seen it on blogs, but I’m not one for frozen yoghurt. If I’m going to indulge then I’ll go for the real deal: ice cream.

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Samantha,
Yeah, I think that’s why I like the creamier stuff better. Premium frozen yogurt tastes like ice-cream, not that low cal fat free icy stuff. Blech.

Annie@stronghealthyfit October 15, 2010 at 8:22 am

I’ve never been to a Pinkberry- we don’t have those trendy fro-yo places in NH yet :-) Thanks for your honest opinion! I usually just go for Stonyfield fro yo from the grocery store. It’s actually my favorite dessert!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 15, 2010 at 8:24 am

Never tried it before. I think the boys would be in heaven with self serve with toppings though. I have a feeling that it would be pretty expensive! Oh, I have to tell you, I made the hemp fudge last night and added 1 TBSP of coconut flour (basically super fine coconut) OH MY GOODNESS! I am in love with coconutty chocolate right now! Have a great day Heather!

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Sarena,
I’ve been out of coconut flour for months…it doesn’t exactly fit into our new grocery budget. :( However, shredded coconut is cheap. I should just make my own. Need chocolate coconut hemp fudge in my life!

Jessica @ How Sweet October 15, 2010 at 8:26 am

I’ve never had Pinkberry. We have no froyo places around me!

Scott McIntosh October 15, 2010 at 8:28 am

Living in Japan, we always finished meals off with Green Tea ice cream (or whatever frozen sugary thing it was), it was a bit weird but I started to love it after a while. I’m gonna have to go try Pinkberry’s.

Have you gone to their website and heard their “Sorry Ice Cream” rap? Hilarious…

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Scott,
I’ve had green tea ice-cream before and liked it, but I think when eating the frozen yogurt side-by-side with the other flavors, it tasted kind of bland. Have not heard the rap. Will go listen. :)

Erica October 15, 2010 at 8:29 am

Bummer that it was just OK. Its pretty :) We tried a new yogurt place recently and I was totally disappointed! We’re also getting another new place in our town- can’t wait! I hope you guys have a great weekend

Evan Thomas October 15, 2010 at 8:29 am

We don’t have any frozen yogurt places in RI. Sigh. Oh well, I’m happy with coconut milk ice cream at least :-)

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Evan,
Stick with the coconut milk stuff – much better than Pinkberry. :)

sweeter salt October 15, 2010 at 8:32 am

I used to go every so often when I lived in NY. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, there isn’t one here in Maine where I live. I’m kind of with you, I don’t think it is all that awesome, especially for the price. I prefer my frozen treats a little less tangy!

Laura

melissa @ the delicate place October 15, 2010 at 8:37 am

i’ve never had pinkberry but to be honest, i think a lot of the hype comes from celebrity photos with them holding a cup in their clutches. i guess a lot of people buy into it? personally, i love the dairy free or goat milk ice creams (seriously Laloos’ will change your life!)

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Melissa,
Oh my gosh, Laloos chocolate was so dark rich…definitely love at first bite, but I have yet to try any of their other flavors. Need to work on that! :)

Abigail @ Good To Think and Eat October 15, 2010 at 8:39 am

Pinkberry is alright (although I kind of get overwhelmed by all the choices of toppings), but in Philadelphia we have a place called Yogorino, which is an Italian frozen yogurt chain that is absolutely divine. At least once a week I get a small serving with Pistachio sauce and sit in the park and watch the sunlight dapple through the oak leaves. It’s heavenly.

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Abigail,
I think I will dream of pistachio sauce tonight…I didn’t even know something like that existed. Sounds heavenly…especially while enjoyed in some warm sunshine. :)

Mallory October 15, 2010 at 8:44 am

haha ok i am a rookie to unersandin food lingo…. fro yo is frozen yogurt??? if so, i agree with the creay is best!

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Mallory,
Yep fro-yo = frozen yogurt. :)

Carrie @ TV and Dinners October 15, 2010 at 8:49 am

Heather, I am totally with you. When I lived in L.A. I never understood the devotion to Pinkberry. It kind of tastes like air.

I have been enjoying my Sweet CeCe’s tart yogurt since they opened here in Nashville very much. So much creamier and tastier! :)

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Carrie,
Just got back from Sweet CeCe’s. Love their pumpkin and PB yogurt! :)

Victoria October 15, 2010 at 8:56 am

I’m with you, I need the creamy stuff. We have a local self-serve place in DC (FroYo, which operates in a few Booeymonger deli shops) that offers tart and traditional sweet/creamy fro-yo, so you can mix a tart berry flavor with a traditional sweet vanilla. And the self-serve toppings include cake chunks. Love. It.

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Victoria,
Cake chunks? Now that’s one I haven’t seen. YUM!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) October 15, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I’ll have to post pictures soon :) . It’s so good mashed in with the fro-yo.

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 5:15 pm

I can’t even imagine as cake + ice-cream is my most favorite dessert combo ever! Well, brownie + ice-cream are good as well. ;)

Victoria (District Chocoholic) October 15, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Pretty sure they also have brownie chunks. Now if they also had buttercream frosting, well…

One great thing is that it’s 100% self-serve and then weigh&pay at the end. I often end up getting something that is just 2 ounces so that it’s a small treat rather than a gigantic one.

Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit October 15, 2010 at 8:57 am

I am also a sucker for the froyo chains! Perhaps because up here in Canada we just don’t get them like the Southern states seem to! They’re a huge treat while traveling!

StephORama - VegFortWorth October 15, 2010 at 8:59 am

I love all frozen ice cream and yogurt-like confections! Never been to Pinkberry – we seem to have a million Pinkberry knockoffs but no actual Pinkberry!

I’m still drooling over the homemade Pop-Tarts. I love me some toaster pastries.

eatmovelove October 15, 2010 at 9:10 am

No PinkBerry here in Canada (well maybe there is – but not where I am!) – but I’m not a big fan of frozen yogurt in general. You said it perfectly actually! – it has that “icy” taste.

I prefer my ice cream ;)

Home-made pop tarts? I have to check these out! How did these genius make them?!

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Eatmovelove,
I linked to Gaby’s recipe in my post. Try the Pop-Tarts – so good, and they don’t sound that difficult to make either. :)

Angie October 15, 2010 at 9:26 am

I’m with you on this one. Sweet Cece’s is my hand’s down favorite for fro-yo in the Nashville area. We’ve tried all the other shops in town, but we always wind up back at Sweet Cece’s.

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Angie,
Agreed – nothing compares, although I still haven’t been to Yogi’s. Anxious to try it, but I keep going back to Sweet CeCe’s as it’s all I want! :)

Alyssa October 15, 2010 at 9:48 am

I’ve never had Pinkberry, but I do love tangy fro-yo! My Hubby and I love Menchi’s…self-serve all the way baby!

Clairerose C October 15, 2010 at 9:49 am

I’ve never been to a froyo place…I’m kind of slow I guess.hehe…I do want to get my hands on those homemade pop tarts.Yum!:-)cc

nicole October 15, 2010 at 9:49 am

I’ve never been to Pinkberry’s either. There aren’t in the DC area but apprently they’re opening one up in Fairfax VA next week or something. I used to love TCBY but thinking back, I think the only reason I liked it was bc I thought it was “better” to eat frozen yogurt vs Ice cream…even though I was still adding the same crap to the fro yo that I would have to the ice cream.
Oh and thanks for the Pop Tart recipe…this weekend baby!! <3

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Nicole,
I was a TCBY junkie growing up, and yes, I always thought it was a “healthy” choice as well, and then I’d load up my Moo Malt with Oreos or Butterfinger. ;)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats October 15, 2010 at 9:54 am

I lived in NYC when the PInkberry craze hit and honestly, I liked it, but I loved Red Mango. It’s creamier. Now I have to avoid dairy and Red Mango is the one thing I truly truly miss, whereas I am more like Pinkberry who?

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Valerie,
Never been to Red Mango, but I hear it’s good stuff.

Bethany October 15, 2010 at 9:57 am

I’ve never tried Pinkberry before, but where I live we have a Fuzzy Peach which is a self-serve frozen yogurt place. They don’t have that many flavors, but cheesecake and red velvet are really good. I usually stick with the vanilla or lactose free mango and top it with fruit…okay that’s a lie it’s pretty much mainly fruit and some frozen yogurt, but I can’t help that fruit is just too yummy.

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Bethany,
Hehe – my little bowl is mostly whipped cream with a little frozen yogurt. Can’t help myself. I LOVE whipped cream. ;) Sometimes our local self-serve place has cheesecake and red velvet too. So good!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 15, 2010 at 10:06 am

I’ve never tried Pinkberry — I’m not sure if we have those in MN.

I’m not a huge frozen yogurt fan. I’ll take regular ole ice cream any day!

Lea @ Healthy Coconut October 15, 2010 at 10:08 am

I prefer creamier frozen yogurt too. But some friends do like the more tart and icy type of yogurt and for those kind, Pinkberry is the best if that’s what you are looking for.

Even if I did like that tart and icy yogurt…I don’t like that I don’t get to serve myself and put on my own toppings. The Pinkberry stores here in Orange County are not self-served = Not fun.

Dorry October 15, 2010 at 10:23 am

I don’t eat much froyo these days (sticking to non-dairy for now) but I used to eat it all the time and I’m all about the self-serve! Billy would laugh b/c I wouldn’t go anywhere that wasn’t self-serve. It’s just so much more fun (and perfect for a type-A food control freak like myself). ;)

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Dorry,
Yeah, I like to control my yogurt and topping as well. For instance, I love a ton of whipped cream with just one or two brownie chunks and I would feel so silly “asking” for my toppings that way. Much easier and more fun to do it myself!

Lindsay @ Life Lived Fully October 15, 2010 at 10:30 am

ok, heather..i SO agree..been to L.A. and was so excited. Then came the disappointment! What THE?? I just don’t get it? It is just hip to like it?? Is there some secret Pink Berry mophia? I agree, abit icey,lacking luster. That’s my personal opinion, though. Bring on the Cece’s!!

Cindy October 15, 2010 at 10:44 am

Gosh, we have a pinkberry near us, and I’ve been dying to go. One day we were “near” the store and I PULEEEEEEEEEEEEASED my husband to take us (which means I asked my two year old “DO YOU WANT ICE CREAM???”

so we had to go! (que evil laugh)

so we walked in and ??? walked out.
couldn’t figure the place out and it smelled funny.

I was sad. I really wanted to try some and enjoy the hype. We ended up at cold stone which was not what i wanted but I did ask the toddler if he wanted ice cream, so I got ice cream.

boo. (enter motherly somber lesson of the day) careful what you wish for.

SO GLAD you gave us a preview and so glad you had fun!

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Cindy,
Trust me..I bet Cold Stone was better…a blessing in disguise perhaps? ;)

Exercise and Eat October 15, 2010 at 10:45 am

I’m a froyo fan, but I think only because of the toppings! Its so much fun to mix and match treats:)

Katie October 15, 2010 at 11:02 am

I’ve never been there, but I can’t imagine green tea would be a flavor that would go well with froyo. I did go to a gelato place in London that was doing a “world tour”. They had the craziest flavors. Beer was one, and let me tell you, it tasted JUST like beer.

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Katie,
Beer gelato? Yuck…I’d like the Nutella flavor instead please. :)

Janetha G - meals & moves October 15, 2010 at 11:11 am

We don’t have a pinkberry, but we have a TON of other fro yo places. I like the self serve best, for sure :)

caronae October 15, 2010 at 11:24 am

People in NYC are obsessed with Pinkberry. I think it tastes alright but is way overpriced. I really like the mango. The tart is okay; a good tart treat if you want dessert but not something too sweet. I agree that the green tea is weird. I also had the watermelon this summer and it was pretty good.

Overall, I prefer to direct my fro-yo business elsewhere as well. :)

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Caronae,
I think all the amazing ice-cream in MI has spoiled us both. :)

Amy October 15, 2010 at 11:28 am

Heather,

I’m not a pinkberry fan at all! Living in California people wait in line for hours??? Why? We have Yoguartland here and it’s a self serve…So much better! Love the self serve!! Glad other people feel the same way :)

PS your package will be to you Tuesday

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Thanks so much Amy – can’t wait, and I CANNOT believe people stand in line for hours for that stuff. I mean it was fine, but honestly, I’d rather just go to McDonald’s for a soft serve cone.

Kristina @ spabettie October 15, 2010 at 11:33 am

I have not had Pinkberry, but I have heard the same review of it…

I *LOVE* my self serve fro yo, and it’s biking distance from our house :D

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Kristina,
Yeah, our self serve places are within walking distance…very dangerous but oh so good! :)

Lindsey Ferguson October 15, 2010 at 11:44 am

You must obtain and post the recipe for the homemade poptarts! They have always been a favorite of mine, and while I feel better not eating them, they are dearly missed.

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Lindsey,
I linked to Gaby’s recipe in yesterday’s post, but here it is again. Enjoy! So yummy!

Lauren at KeepItSweet October 15, 2010 at 12:09 pm

the first time i tried pinkberry i didn’t get it either, but for some reason the 2nd time i was hooked!

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan October 15, 2010 at 12:13 pm

We don’t have Pinkberry in my parts, but even if we did, I must say I’m not too interested. I have to agree, self-serve is where it’s at!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 15, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I can’t STAND icy frozen yogurt or icecream. It has to be creamy for me to enjoy it. I’ve never tried pinkberry but I probably would be with you and not get the rage over it too.

Dana @ my little celebration October 15, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I’ve actually never had Pinkberry because I don’t think they’re in Portland yet. But I do like Swirl, which is a self-serve fro yo bar. They have creamy AND tart yogurt, but I prefer the creamy as well.

Good idea on the pop tarts. I used to like those them as a kid but tried to stave off of them as an adult for nutritional purposes. But I like your idea for the healthified version. Thanks!

Gina October 15, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I’m not really a fan of Pinkberry. Everyone in NYC is obsessed, but I can definitely take it or leave it. Not something I find myself craving.

I also find that it’s like a circle of death with sugar, once I start eating it in large quantities, the more I crave it!

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Gina,
I know…that evil sugar cycle. Grrrr!

Paige @ Running Around Normal October 15, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I’ve never had PInkberry, but I agree – I’ll take creamy yogurt over icy any day!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather October 15, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I’d be all over those samples! Sadly I’ve never tried frozen yogurt yet :(

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Heather,
Having a very sad moment for you right now. :(

Erika October 15, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I am totally with you on the big buzz with Pinkberry. We went to the one in Orlando and I was disappointed. I did however like the chocolate and I thought the vegan marshmallows were interesting. I did try the pumpkin spice granola. It was good too. It will not be on my top lists of places to go next time. The atmosphere is neat though.

Megan (Braise The Roof) October 15, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I tried Pinkberry for the first time when I was in LA last month and loved it! I didn’t find it especially icey, though. I had the original flavor (my recap here: http://braisetheroof.com/2010/09/08/californiavocado/) and I really liked the tang! I love Greek yogurt and this reminded me of it. I agree, though, it IS a little over-hyped.

Ida October 15, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I like pinkberry, but I’m also obsessed with greek yogurt. I can’t get enough tartness! I think it has such a big following b/c the yogurt is lower in calories than other fro-yo places.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 15, 2010 at 1:53 pm

There’s a pinkberry about 10 blocks from me and I either drive or run/walk past it daily. Because I live in an urban cafe, niche market, tons of unique foodie finds part of town, from Afghan food to Thai to sushi to Mongolian to WFs and TJs and every other restaurant you’d ever want in a 10 block radius, the Pinkberry doesnt have lines out of it…but i have heard in other cities it does.

Being dairy free, i have never tried it. Nor will I. And even before I was DF I never was an ice cream or fro-yo girl. I like my sweets in the cake/cookie form more.

You are GLOWING in your photos. It’s amazing what a little lip gloss and pregnancy does: total radiant glow! You are gorgeous!!!!! :)

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Thanks Averie, and if I’m ever in your hood, I want Afghan food! :)

Pesia October 15, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Heather,

I agree with you; we tried Pinkberries a few weeks ago and thought exactly as you do! I don’t get the lines out the door. One of my favorites here is a self-serve call Yogurt Guru.

Gaby October 15, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I need some Mocha PB in my life! Is the vanilla similar to white chocolate wonderful? I don’t think they sell Naturally Nutty down here :\ but both those flavors seem like they’d make great toppings. I may have to try mixing some instant coffee into my PB.
I love fro yo places but my stomach does not! If you manage to speak to any of these chains tell them I want a non dairy fro yo! One of the greatest places I’ve ever been is in Menton, France. I’ve written about it, it’s called Napoleon, and it’s self serve gelato with self serve toppings and sauces. AMAZING.

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Gaby,
Self serve gelato?!? Oh my gosh – my idea of heaven. I would go crazy in there! I’ve heard of places selling soft serve made with either hemp or oats. Would love to try it someday, and could you imagine if they had soft serve coconut milk ice-cream?!? I would take a road trip just to try it! :) The Mocha PB is one of my favorites. Vanilla PB was good though too – not nearly as sweet as White Chocolate Wonderful which made me like it. WCW was too sweet for me – I didn’t like crunching down on the sugar crystals when I tried it.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) October 15, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I need to find this naturally nutty! all the flavors sound so good. homemade poptarts look so delicious! i also may get some of justins chocolate almond butter as you recommended (i prefer almond over peanut butter anyway) but im slightly afraid that i wont be able to contain myself with an entire jar of it! i love my frozen yogurt to be thick too.. theres a redmango near me and its amazing!

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Felicia,
Can you find the Justin’s packets? Might be a better way to go as I will admit, it’s hard to contain myself around that jar! :)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) October 15, 2010 at 6:40 pm

I’ll have to search next time, I think my local health food store has them… it will take strong willpower if i buy the bigger jar! Oh and I finallllyyyy made cornbread with the kernels! used pollys recipe, soo delicious!

Susan October 15, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I’ve never had Pinkberry, but I have had frozen yogurt and I’m not a huge fan. It’s okay, but not great!

Have a lovely weekend Heather! I’m hoping for a pancake sunday post ; )

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Susan,
Pancake Sunday…I’ll do my best. Hope you have a good weekend as well. :)

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger October 15, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Goodness! Just when I think you can’t get ANY cuter…SHEESH, woman! You really are radiant and glowing in all your pics…even more so as you get closer to welcoming little HEABlet into the world!

I’ve never been to Pinkberry and honestly, since eating TCBY when I was little, don’t remember the last time I’ve had fro yo. I am ALL about ice cream and probably wouldn’t eat frozen yogurt if I had the choice between desserts. BUT, I love the venue and it looks like they gave out generous portions. That’s pretty cool in my book! :)

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Thanks so much Talia. TCBY – lived on that stuff growing up. I always got a chocolate Moo Malt. :)

Katie October 15, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I just tried pinkberry for the first time last weekend, and I am totally a fan! The tang was my favorite part – I could eat a gallon of the stuff, I am sure. But then again, I haven’t tried Sweet Cece’s – so I may not know what I’m missing. ;-)

Katrina October 15, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I’ve never heard of Pinkberry, but I fell in love with some Yobe’ while i was in Florida. It was outstanding and I liked the creaminess. We have a yogurt Mountain here so that’s on my list of things to do this weekend. :-)

Mandy A October 15, 2010 at 3:41 pm

What’s funny is I JUST found your email to me about this in my spam folder yesterday! I hate that!

Well, it’s good to know I shouldn’t rush to try it! Which is good because I’m so low on funds it would be a couple of weeks!! I think the location of it is rather odd, too. But what can ya do :) I know you love Sweet Cece’s… I haven’t been in awhile! JR has an obsession with Menchie’s… so that’s where we have been every time the craving hits :)

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Mandy,
I have not been to Menchie’s. Can’t quite get past Sweet CeCe’s. Love it! :)

Krista (kristastes) October 15, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I’ve never tried pinkberry, but we have similar knock-offs in Philly! Sweet Cece’s is pretty yummy – I visited the one in Franklin — what a cute little area to walk around!

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Krista,
I love downtown Franklin. One of my favorite places to take out of town guests – it’s so quaint. If you ever go back, you must eat at the Red Pony. One of our favorite restaurants…and then of course hit Sweet CeCe’s for dessert! :)

Bridget October 15, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Unfortunately, I’ve never tried Pinkberry :( I get so jealous of all these froyo places I read about on blogs because we don’t have any in my city. I also really wish that whole foods and trader joes would get their butts over to the west coast of canada asap!!

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Bridget,
Come visit me in Nashville. We’ll lunch at Whole Foods, shop at TJ’s and then I’ll take you on a frozen yogurt tour of the city. :)

Bridget October 16, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Oh my, that sounds like my dream day! If only Nashville wasn’t so far away :(

Brittany @ Pretty Fit, Pretty Healthy, Pretty Happy October 15, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Funny thing… Pinkberry was the first place I went to when I moved to L.A. Really– I dropped my 4 suitcases in my new apartment and walked across the street.

I think it’s kind of overrated! There are so many other non-chain places that have way better yogurt. There’s one near me that has cake batter yogurt and has red velvet cupcake crumbs brought in from a local bakery. Now THAT’S what I’m talking about!

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Brittany,
Um yeah, I’d take the cake batter yogurt with velvet cupcake crumbs any day over Pinkberry icy yogurt!!!

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood October 15, 2010 at 5:55 pm

I never got the obsession with Pinkberry or Red Mango either… I mean, I could make my own froyo for a lot less than what I would be supposedly charged in the store, LOL. :)

HEAB October 15, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Sylvia,
Heck, you can buy a half gallon of ice-cream from the grocery store for about the same price. Again, congrats on your new job. So excited for you! :)

Alyssa October 15, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Honestly, I think the Pinkberry obsession is because of the celebrity cache. I don’t particularly like Pinkberry. Like you said, the self-serve places are WAY more fun (and the fro yo tastes better!).

Dana October 15, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Heather!! i’ve been dying to try Pink Berry, just havent gotten around to it yet!!

xo

HEAB October 16, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Dana,
No worries…honestly, I hate to say it, but I don’t think you’ve missed out on too much.

*Andrea* October 15, 2010 at 6:59 pm

i’ve only tried the original tart flavor of pinkberry and i love it! not sure i would enjoy the flavors though. i prefer plain yogurt and froyo mixed with flavors from toppings! icecream however is a different story ;)

looks like you had fun!

those poptarts look sooooooo good. i can not buy those because i literally can not stop at just 1 package. i crave them so much, especially the brown sugar cinnamon flavor or the fudge sundae!

HEAB October 16, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Andrea,
Yeah, the Pop-Tarts are really good. They’d be wonderful toasted and mixed in with some plain yogurt. :)

gigi October 15, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Ive never ried pink berry. I’m not a fan of frozon yogurt for a treat I like the real stuff, ICE CREAM! :)

Melissa October 15, 2010 at 7:42 pm

If you haven’t already been, since you like the self serve I most highly recommend Yogi’s on West End. AMAZING. The owner is super nice and she changes the flavors pretty often and has great variety. Her birthday cake fro yo had all of the flavor to rival that of Mike’s Birthday Cake flavor ice cream, and the topping bar had anything you could want. Great place.

HEAB October 16, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Melissa,
Yogi’s – pass it all the time but have yet to go. We actually live in walking distance. Hmm, perhaps this afternoon? :) But if not, soon, I promise! Thanks for the tip!

BroccoliHut October 15, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Ah man, an evening of fro-yo sampling sounds pretty perfect right now. Wish we would get some Pinkberry action!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 15, 2010 at 8:15 pm

I’ve never had pinkberry, so I couldn’t tell you what the fuss was all about! :)

judy October 15, 2010 at 8:52 pm

pinkberry is OK. i actually prefer red mango. its tangy, but its also creamier. i love putting mochi in my fro-yo. i really like the chewiness!

HEAB October 16, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Judy,
Yes, we have mochi as a topping at my favorite fro-yo place, but I always forget to try it…I can’t quite get past the brownie chunks and whipped cream. ;)

judy October 16, 2010 at 9:36 pm

ah…your combo certainly sounds more tempting and delicious than mine! =)

LJ October 15, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Fro-yo intoxication is always a great way to spend an evening! We don’t have Pinkberry here, but there is a place called Fro-Yo (don’t know if it’s a chain or not) that is self-serve and has pretty good yogurt. I’m a fan of their red velvet flavor. Have you thought of making fro-yo(ish) flavored yogurts with a batch of your coconut yogurt?

HEAB October 16, 2010 at 12:23 pm

LJ,
No, but I really should. I have the yogurt maker and an ice-cream maker…hmmm, now you’ve got me thinking… :)

Kim October 15, 2010 at 9:58 pm

I am glad I am not the only one who thought Pinkberry was just meh. Bella and I got soooo sick after eating it one time, we have never gone back…

Moni'sMeals October 15, 2010 at 10:25 pm

what a fun night Heather!
Pinkberry is a yes and a no for me. There are better fro-yo places out there with better toppings too but Pinkberry is everywhere out here in LA. I lived too close to one so I may of over done it. :) They are still good to have around though.

Moni'sMeals October 15, 2010 at 10:28 pm

oh yes, one more thing, I finally got my Vita Mix!!!! Yipee :) So I want to make your super duper ice cream, where can I find that video tutorial on your site? I guess I did not look hard enough but I could not find your video. :. ) THanks!!!! So pumped!

HEAB October 16, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Moni,
Ahhh, so excited your blender arrived. You are going to LOVE it! The video tutorial is in this post: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/protein-ice-cream/. Good luck and let me know how it turns out for ya.

Julie October 15, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Hi Heather,

I have been reading your blog for about 6 months and I love hearing about your life through food. I am the biggest fro yo fan I know…and I wanted to ask you if you have tried Tasti d Lite? They are from NYC and I know they are in Nashville now. It is sooo creamy and I think you would love it! Have you tried it yet?
On another note, I love your oatbran and oatmeal creations. You have given me so many great ideas! Thanks for blogging and keep up the good work!!

HEAB October 16, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Julie,
Thanks so much for reading my blog, and it makes me very happy to hear that you are enjoying some of my oat creations. I love oat bran so much, and not everyone gets it. So, thanks for understanding. :) Yes, I have tried Tasti d Lite, and honestly, I wasn’t a huge fan. I did like the selection of flavors, but it tasted kind of fake and chemically to me. Plus, I really like going to the self-serve places…I’m a bit of a control freak and love piling on my own toppings. ;) Thanks again for reading, and if you’re ever in Nashville, you must let me treat you to Sweet CeCe’s! :)

Thetreadmilldiaries October 16, 2010 at 12:05 am

Very excited – just ordered a NN peanut butter sampler pack. Can’t wait to try the mocha and vanilla flavors. Thanks for mentioning them. :)

HEAB October 16, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Treadmilldairies,
Very exciting indeed! Please let me know what you think. I love that Mocha PB.

Mary October 16, 2010 at 3:03 am

We have a Pinkberry where I live in DC and I have had the same thought. I don’t get it. The texture is weird and the flavors are all strange, even the chocolate — I took a taste of the green tea before ordering, thank God. It took herculean effort to swallow it! It’s a if they took a teaspoon of green tea and mixed it in right before serving. We have a small, local chain down the street called Green Works which serves in credible salads and fro yo plain. It’s creamy with just a slight tang. Fresh fruit and nuts available for toppings. It’s great when strawberries are in season. That’s where I go now. No more Stinkberry for moi!

HEAB October 16, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Mary,
Yeah, the chocolate reminded me of chocolate sorbet or Italian ice – not the taste I’m going for when I’m in the mood for chocolate fro-yo.

Maya October 16, 2010 at 7:58 am

I am totally with ya. Self serve all the way!

Brooke October 16, 2010 at 9:38 am

so glad to hear that i’m not missing out. everytime i travel, i’ve wanted to try it but haven’t gotten the opportunity. i’ll stick with my gelato. :)

HEAB October 16, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Brooke,
Wise decision. :)

Shelby October 16, 2010 at 2:19 pm

You know…can someone open up a vegan fro-yo place ASAP!?! I ate it during my “non-vegan” days and it was so good (forgot the name of the place though), I want a vegan option!

HEAB October 16, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Shelby,
I’ve heard of hemp fro-yo and oat based fro-yo. I think you should open up a shop serving both in AZ. Maybe throw in some coconut milk soft serve as well. HEABlet and I would be the first customers in line! :)

wendy October 16, 2010 at 2:27 pm

omg1 where in nashville is Pinkberry????

HEAB October 16, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Wendy,
It’s on West End next to Kinko’s/Fed Ex store – where Blockbuster used to be.

Maren October 16, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Heather- It’s so funny you say that about Green Tea Fro-Yo. I had it a month or so ago with a bunch of fruit, coconut flakes and almonds and it took me 3-4 bites to get used to it’s strange flavor. But once I got past the shock I really liked it.

HEAB October 16, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Maren,
Yeah, I think the problem with the green tea yogurt is that I was taking bites of it side-by-side with the chocolate and other flavors, and it just didn’t compare…kind of blah tasting and not as sweet.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) October 17, 2010 at 6:29 am

We don’t have a Pinkberry :( For the best maybe, lol. I’m a fan of soft serve anything, though. We owned an ice cream stand when I was little and made homemade Gelato, but the soft serve was always my favorite! :)

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 9:13 am

Jenn,
“We owned an ice cream stand when I was little”…every kid’s dream. ;)

kate October 17, 2010 at 8:15 pm

We dont have Pinkberry in Iowa, but Im good with TCBY. – white chocolate mousse has my heart.

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Kate,
I grew up on TCBY. Always ordered a chocolate Moo Malt. Mmmm. Unfortunately, all of our TCBY’s closed. :(

Rebekah October 19, 2010 at 7:55 am

I just discovered Sweet CeCe’s in Nashville, and I’m totally appalled I hadn’t learned about it earlier!

Ingrid October 19, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Do the have a Yogurt Land out there? It’s even better! :)

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 7:34 am

Ingrid,
No, but we do have a self-serve place called Yogurt World south of town. I wonder if they’re similar? Good stuff! :)