Corbocha Cakes

by HEAB on October 17, 2010

Look how pretty fall is in Nashville. Definitely my favorite time of year!

IMG_6297.JPG IMG_6293.JPG IMG_6303.JPG

The beautiful leaves inspired me to make seasonal pancakes this morning. Happy Pancake Sunday!

First off, I slow roasted this mammoth of a kabocha squash a couple of days ago…

CD and I have been nibbling on it here and there, and I wanted to use up the rest of it today as I refuse to waste good squash! So, last night, I found a recipe for cornmeal haystacks and HEABified it.

I brought 1 cup water plus 1/2 tsp sea salt to a boil on the oven and then slowly stirred in 1 and 1/4 cups cornmeal. I brought it to a boil again and then reduced the heat to low, allowing the cornmeal to cook for about an hour, stirring occasionally.

After it was done cooking, I stirred in a cup of kabocha (any winter squash would do, including canned pumpkin) and then refrigerated the mix overnight.

This morning, I scooped out my haystacks with an ice-cream scoop and baked in a 350℉ for 45 minutes. (Yield: 14)

Once out of the oven, I flattened my haystacks with a spatula and named them Corbocha Cakes. :)

They are kind of bland on their own, but the possibilities with these are endless! You could make them savory with herbs and crumbled cheese or sweet with cinnamon, raisins, and coconut. I can’t wait to experiment! My toppings of choice this morning were butter and the last of my pepper jelly (so sad!), Justin’s chocolate hazelnut and almond butters, and Naturally Nutty Mocha PB. Honestly, my favorite was the butter and jelly. I think next time, I’ll just cover all of them in butter or coconut oil and cinnamon. Really, that’s all they need. Mmmmm!

homecookedem October 17, 2010 at 9:16 am

Your corbocha cakes look awesome! How creative!! I bet the pepper jelly on top was sooooooo good!!

Halley (Blunder Construction) October 17, 2010 at 9:16 am

I think these would go well crumbled over chili or soup. I like this idea because I have a surplus of squash to use up as well. My only question, why were they called haystacks? I don’t see the resemblance :)

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Halley,
Well the original recipe called for unsweetened shredded coconut and raisins rather than squash. Then before baking, it called for dipping the haystacks in apple juice or OJ concentrate and rolling them in more coconut. Sounds really good, but I didn’t have all those ingredients and just threw in some squash instead. And yes, I think they would taste amazing crumbled over chili or soup! :)

eatmovelove October 17, 2010 at 9:17 am

LOL at the name – I read the title and was thinking Corbucha?! What?

Roasted squash is impossible not to pick at…but your missing the burnt pieces ;)

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Eatmovelove, I know – I peeled off the skin. Unfortunately slow roasting doesn’t produce the crunchy burnt pieces. :(

eatmovelove October 17, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Ooooh – so what is slow roasting exactly? ;) …how does it differ from just – roasting? Sorry, clearly my culinary skills are just that good hey? Although I’ll stick with the regular for the burnt black bits of peel :)

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Eatmovelove,
Slow roasting is great when you want to puree squash for soups, puddings, etc. I wrote about it in this post: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/10/15/gettin-krazy-with-kabocha/

Katie @ peacebeme October 17, 2010 at 9:19 am

When I lived in Nashville, I was amazed at how many TREES there were. I agree that they were so beautiful in the fall. I loved Fall and Spring there!

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Katie,
Me too – fall is my favorite, but spring is beautiful. Both seasons make up for our dreary winter and hot/humid summer! :)

Natalia - a side of simple October 17, 2010 at 9:29 am

Those trees are beautiful! The changing leaves are one of my favorite parts about fall. And what would a Sunday be without some pancakes? :) Have a great one, Heather!

Molly October 17, 2010 at 9:30 am

I love kabocha, so so much. I’ve never thought to eat them in this way though! So creative! Do you taste any of the sweetness of the squash in the corbocha cakes?

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Molly,
They are a tad sweet but pretty bland to be honest. You could always add some honey or maple syrup to the batter or just use sweet toppings. I love them as they are. Just ate more for lunch with butter and cinnamon. Perfect! :)

Jo @JAGSfitnessblog.com October 17, 2010 at 9:37 am

Oh boy, they look scrumptious! I adore the pictures, the beautiful red leaves look utterly breath taking.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 17, 2010 at 9:38 am

Tennessee is truly beautiful this time of year! Your breakfast looks amazing! YUM! I roasted the heck out of butternut squash and pumpkin yesterday after going to the pumpkin patch. I LOVE this time of year. It gives me so much energy! Enjoy your Sunday Heather!

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Me too Sarena – definitely my favorite time of year!

Meg October 17, 2010 at 9:40 am

Wow, absolutely beautiful photos! I love fall. Ahh!

I can’t wait to get roasting! Squash is SO versatile!

StephORama - VegFortWorth October 17, 2010 at 9:59 am

Those Cornbocha Cakes look so good! I have some canned pumpkin I need to use up. May have to run to the grocery story and get some cornmeal to try this! These would be perfect for breakfast this week!

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun October 17, 2010 at 10:05 am

Okay, I’m curious…
What does kabocha taste like? Similar to pumpkin?
Thanks! :-)

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Erika,
It’s by far my favorite squash – much sweeter than pumpkin. Tastes more like sweet potato. Here’s are two posts about it:
http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/12/02/having-trouble-finding-kabocha/ & http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/10/15/gettin-krazy-with-kabocha/. I also have a whole section of kabocha recipes on my recipe page: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/. Kabocha is in season right now, but I’m able to find them year round at my local Asian Mkt. Hope you try one soon! :)

Emily October 17, 2010 at 10:24 am

Ooooh, those look good! I’ll definitely be making these this fall. By the way, I got my oat bran in the mail and WOW! I already have drafted a blog post about it I was so excited and inspired (though I imagine I need to complete my about me section and figure out Wordpress before I go live and post anything – heh). Anyway, I loved it and THANK you for introducing me to such a great breakfast food. I can’t wait to tell you how I made it.

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Emily,
I can’t wait to read about it. Funny that your oat bran post is written before your About Me section – so something I would do. Love love LOVE me some oat bran. :)

Hands in Namaste October 17, 2010 at 10:33 am

yum, i’m all about the butter and jelly!!

kathleen October 17, 2010 at 11:22 am

just out of curiosity, is there anything you’ve put nutbutter or jelly on (or in) that didn’t turn out to be the best combination? love pancake sunday by the way!

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Kathleen,
Come to think of it, no…guess you really can’t ever go wrong with nut butter and or jelly. :)

Victoria (District Chocoholic) October 17, 2010 at 11:31 am

For some reason, I look at those and think “if you flattened them a little, you could make a mean mini-pizza.”

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Victoria,
I like the way you think. :)

Krystina (Organically Me) October 17, 2010 at 11:46 am

What a cute idea. :)

Kristina @ spabettie October 17, 2010 at 11:51 am

oh, these look SO good! I want that one with the melty butter and jelly… :D

A Teenage Gourmet October 17, 2010 at 11:54 am

Nashville :)
I’m back to favoring Vanderbilt, for sure . . . for today. ;)

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Sami,
Love hearing that – it’s so beautiful here right now. You would love it! :)

Exercise and Eat October 17, 2010 at 11:59 am

Your corbocha cakes look yummmmy!

Namaste Gurl October 17, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Yum! Sounds good, autumn-y and right up my alley :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) October 17, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Those look tasty! I am thinking maybe a sour cream and chives variety. Yummmmm!

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Jenn,
That would be delicious!

Stefanie October 17, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Love the tree pictures. Fall has arrived. :)

Song October 17, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Brilliant!!! Brillllllliant!!!!!!!!! BRRIIIIILLLLIIAAANNNNNTTT!!
Should I try it with goat cheese??: ) aHHhhhhhrrgg they look sooo good!!!

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Song,
Should you try these with goat cheese? Now, that’s a rhetorical question if I’ve ever heard one. ;)

Song October 18, 2010 at 12:12 am

hahahaha ok I will try it soon then let you know how it goes.

Eden October 17, 2010 at 1:44 pm

O this is a fabulous idea! I’ve been eating kabocha daily! I’m afraid I’ll turn orange and look like a simpsons character (o wait, they are yellow…well you get idea). I think these would be a grate pumpkin soup floating crouton (or a new spin on a matza ball).
I’m so jealous of your fall! we dont have seasons in la, but I think October is truly a month that has a lot of character and beauty.

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Eden,
I would definitely miss my seasons if I lived in CA…however, come February, I might have a change of heart. ;) Love the idea of the pumpkin soup floating crouton!

STEPHANIE T October 17, 2010 at 2:03 pm

BRILLIANT HERB! Your concoctions always seem so basic and healthy, they make me wanna cook, bake and eat wholesome food! Yea to you!! I think im gonna pick up some pepper jelly soon. I hope someday I can nourish my body as well as you do. I just gotta get off this Splenda kick….Happy weekend to you and thank you again for the delish food recipes.

stEPHANIE T October 17, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I mean HEAB…:) is that you performing asanas in the trees?? ;)

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Stephanie,
So glad you enjoy my concoctions, and truth be told, I still fall into the Splenda trap on occasion. Definitely pick up some pepper jelly soon. I want more and actually saw some today at Costco. However, going to shop around for one with less sugar. And yes, that’s me doing Dancer Pose or at least trying. Not too bad for 9 months preggo, no? ;)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 17, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Super creative, Heather!

All I can think when I read this post and see that massive pile of squash and pureed orange food is when I used to make baby food for Skylar. I would make weeks/month worth at a time. I would boil sweet potatoes for an hour, or til really soft. Sorta peel them best I could if the skins slid off easily, and transferred the whole “wad” into my Vita and pureed. Actually back in the day I had an old school 19.99 black and decker food processor which pretty much I look back and can’t believe I used it after having my Vita now but I digress…and I would transfer it all into glass jars and freeze as needed so they were ready to go.

Not sure how this comment turned into baby food making but whatever :)

Eating things old school and plain, just w/ butter or cinnamon…that’s me too :)

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Averie,
Can’t wait to make the HEABlet baby food. I see lots of pureed squash and sweet potatoes in my future…thank God for my Vita! ;)

Moni'sMeals October 17, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Oh Wow, I have a kabocha ready to go, I may have to try this. Just so creative and sounds delicious. :)
I love those Fall pics, ahhhh.

araceli @ Araceli Saborea October 17, 2010 at 2:55 pm

those cakes look so COMFORTING!

Eleanor October 17, 2010 at 3:41 pm

That’s almost spooky :-) I’ve been experimenting with butternut/polenta cornbread/pancakes today AND I had something called a “munchkin pumpkin” in my cupboard waiting for a purpose in life… it must be fate *runs off to put munchkin thing in the oven to slow-roast*
Thank you for this great-sounding recipe!

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Eleanor,
That is weird…we must be on the same wavelength. :)

Lauren October 17, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Haha, corbocha cakes is so fun to say!! Cor-boch-cha!! Cor-boch-cha!!
Love it! :)

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Lauren,
Me too. :)

Caitlin (EatFeats) October 17, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I agree with you and others that butter and jelly is a no fail combination! And all the corn stuff you’ve been making lately looks delicious. Corn is such a great gluten free option!

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Caitlin,
I concur. :)

Bridget October 17, 2010 at 3:55 pm

What a creative recipe! I love the toppings :) I haven’t had kabocha in so long and I really miss it.

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Bridget,
Hope you get some kabocha back in your life soon! :)

Maren October 17, 2010 at 3:58 pm

These look cool. I’ve had my eye open for some Kobucha squash but haven’t found one yet…

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Maren,
Do you have an Asian grocery store where you live? That’s where I always buy mine.

Katie October 17, 2010 at 4:07 pm

You can’t go wrong with butter, cinnamon, and kabocha. The cornmeal, I could take it or leave it. I just slowroasted a butternut, and my plan was cinnamon and tahini. Maybe I’ll just throw some butter on there too. :)

I miss the leaves turning colors. The only trees we have here are aspen, and they just all turn yellow at the same time. I miss the oranges and reds…enjoy it for me!

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Katie,
I will. :) Lunch involved the Corbocha cakes with nothing but butter and cinnamon. Perfect! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I <3 when you HEABify things – those look yummy!

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Chelsey,
Thanks! I love to HEABify. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 17, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Would you like to send some of the scenery this way? Pretty please with a kabocha haystack on top? :)

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Mary,
You know I would if I could! :)

vanillasugar October 17, 2010 at 5:52 pm

oh man, now you’re talking my language. love this combo hello!

Emily October 17, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Corbocha Cakes look awesome! I would make the cinnamony and sweet, but that’s just me :) I added some pumpkin to my tomatoey chickpea stuffed pepper mixture this weekend and loved the result! Definitely going to be using that trick more often :)

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Emily,
So glad you the pumpkin worked in your savory dish this weekend – sounded delicious. For lunch I had my corbocha cakes with butter and lots of cinnamon. They were perfect. :)

Susan October 17, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Hooray for Pancake Sunday! I’ve been intrigued by the idea of a cornmeal pancake for a while now.

Ana October 17, 2010 at 8:00 pm

I like the name conrbocha cakes! :-)

Ana October 17, 2010 at 8:01 pm

I meant corbocha cakes!
(I had “corn”bocha in my head!)

HEAB October 17, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Ana, I knew what you meant. :) Hope you and the fam. had a good weekend!

michelle October 17, 2010 at 9:06 pm

I SO cannot wait to try these….I have a kabocha already roasted and ready and to go!

HEAB October 18, 2010 at 8:04 am

Michelle,
Enjoy. :)

Nicole October 17, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Interesting..I’ve never heard of haystacks before. They look like little mini corn muffins!

HEAB October 18, 2010 at 8:03 am

Nicole,
Yeah, mini corn muffins describe these well – or polenta cakes.

clare October 17, 2010 at 10:39 pm

LOVE! i think cranberries…

HEAB October 18, 2010 at 8:02 am

Clare,
Oooh – good call. That would make them much more festive. Original recipe called for raisins and coconut, and so I think dried cranberries or even cherries would be really good. Dates too! :)

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks October 17, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Coincidence — I just posted a recipe for kabocha squash gingerbread! It’s so much better than canned pumpkin, huh?

HEAB October 18, 2010 at 8:01 am

Coco,
Yes! It’s so sweet – more like a sweet potato. Love kabocha! :)

Deadra October 17, 2010 at 11:12 pm

I bought a red kabocha the other day and thought of you. I can’t wait to eat it. I love fall/ winter with it’s yummy squashes!

HEAB October 18, 2010 at 8:00 am

Deadra,
Enjoy! I’ve never had a red kabocha, but I hear they’re wonderful for purees and soups, and yes, you can’t beat fall for its abundance of winter squashes! :)

alyssa October 18, 2010 at 8:54 am

Those look awesome! I love bland food. Like a blank slate!

HEAB October 18, 2010 at 9:32 am

Alyssa,
Thank you! I mean the cakes are really just a vehicle for the toppings, right? Best to keep the cakes themselves kind of bland. ;)

Mallory October 18, 2010 at 9:21 am

is this kabocha squas i keep reading about the sam as acorn squash? like the lttle green looking jackolanterns?

HEAB October 18, 2010 at 9:31 am

Mallory,
No, kabocha squash is different from acorn. It’s by far my favorite squash – much sweeter than pumpkin. Tastes more like sweet potato. Here are two posts about it:

Tangy October 18, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I bought a big can of Libby’s pumpkin and I made myself some pancakes and the kids some pumpkin muffins this morning but I still had a bunch leftover–I’m so glad you mentioned pumpkin in this! I was way more impatient–I cooked my cornmeal only for about 20 minutes and then refridgerated about two hours. Then I scooped out two plain cakes–my “testers”–and divided the batter and put pumpkin pie spice and raisins in half of it. With the other half I put in italian herb seasoning and about 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese. I dipped the herb ones in some homemade (garlicy) pizza sauce and I topped one of the raisin ones with butter and cinnamon and the other with almond butter–it was all very good! I especially liked the savory ones–definitely try some next time!

HEAB October 18, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Tangy,
Oh my gosh…the savory version dipped in pizza sauce?!? YUM! Trust me, I will try it and soon. Thanks for the idea! :)

Brandae October 18, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Allergic to corn here – think almond meal could cook up similarly? I’d love to try this! Thanks!

HEAB October 18, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Brandae,
Hmm, not sure – the cornmeal cooks up into a warm porridge like texture (polenta), and I don’t think the almond flour would do the same, but I bet you could make some type of oat/squash cake using gluten free rolled oats. Do those sit okay with you?

brittac October 18, 2010 at 1:42 pm

squash stacks – what a wonderful idea!

Shelby October 18, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Oh my gosh! My two favorite things, cornbread and squash wrapped into one!

I have the worst luck finding kabocha squash though! I’m crossing my fingers to find some soon!

HEAB October 18, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Good luck Shelby. They are in season now and should be around. If you can’t find them, check out your local Asian grocery store as mine carries them year-round. :)

{ 3 trackbacks }