Pea Flicking

by HEAB on October 20, 2010

Yesterday, I was emailing back and forth with a good friend, and she recommended I flick some peas off my plate. Often times, I put a lot of stress on myself, and I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a total control freak/people pleaser. Everything always has to be perfect, from our house, to my blog, to my body, etc., and I think it’s about time I learn to relax. Normally, I can’t stand for things to be out of place, and I love a good routine. However, my life is about to turn upside down in another month, and I’m hoping to let go of some things. I can’t please everyone all the time, and that’s okay. An important reminder for us all (myself included): If we don’t love and take care of ourselves, then we really can’t love and take care of others. So, I encourage all of you to remove those issues that you feel responsible for – the ones you can’t control. Just let them go – flick ‘em right off your plate! :)

In the meantime, here are some peas I think you should keep around…

img_43581.jpg

Mac & Cheese with Peas, HEAB Style

Or how about some….

coconut curry rice with squash & peas?

What peas will you flick from your plate today?

Felicia October 20, 2010 at 8:58 am

This is so very true heather- you have to take care of yourself and make it a priority, especially with the baby coming. I know you want to be the best mom (and will be), and in order to do that you have to take time for yourself. It took me a long time to realize that- my mom always put everyone else before her, but her health and quality of life was suffering. Now she is finally doing something for herself (juicing every morning and exercising more) and I’ve never seen her so happy. In time those feelings of needing to please everyone and being perfect will lessen, and they have to because life won’t be as enjoyable if you are constantly worried about the little stuff. When it comes down to it, I know your hubby and baby girl will and do think your perfect, and thats all that matters :)
I just enjoyed a load of coconut butter, chia, and flaxseed in my oats– thanks for making fat less scary :)
Have a great day !

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Felicia,
Thanks for your encouragement and for enjoying some fat in my honor. Both made me very happy to hear. :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit October 20, 2010 at 9:00 am

Great post! I’m the same way, wanting to have everything in place in my living environment, wanting to please people, wanting to be producing something I can show people, some creative endeavor. Thanks for the message to relax a bit on those things :-)
Both of those meals look great!

Jessica @ How Sweet October 20, 2010 at 9:01 am

I have never heard that expression, but I am going to keep it in mind!

Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) October 20, 2010 at 9:02 am

Heather, this is great to read, and so true. We can never please everyone, and the person whose opinion matters most is our own. Treating ourselves with forgiveness, with the love and respect and acceptance that we give our best friends, is so difficult, but so important! We can never achieve perfection, but we can achieve peace… even if we need to flick a lot of peas to get there. :)

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Courtney,
“We can never achieve perfection, but we can achieve peace”…so true. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 20, 2010 at 9:04 am

Gosh you sound like me! Frighteningly! My parents are coming today, so let’s just say there will be a lot of pea flicking here. I will never be perfect and I have accepted that! I think you are pretty great though!

Beth @ DiningAndDishing October 20, 2010 at 9:05 am

haha – what a fun way of putting it!

i tend to stress a lot about being 25 and still having a lot to figure out about where i want to be in life. i really should flick that little pea off my plate and just let things happen as they will while trying my best each day :) .

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Beth,
Yes, you still have plenty of time to figure everything out! I didn’t what I really wanted to do with my life (massage therapy) until my late 20′s, and for many it’s much later. I think it’s crazy that we’re expected to know what we want to do right out of college. I was totally clueless back then! You’ll find your groove – just give yourself time. :)

Eleanor October 20, 2010 at 4:09 pm

I didn’t decide what I wanted to do till I was 28… then I realised I wanted to be a journalist, have been ever since and I love it!
Does anyone remember that Baz Luhrmann song “Everybody’s free to wear sunscreen”? There’s a brilliant line in that:
“Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your
life…the most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they
wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don’t…”
Good old Baz!

tracey October 20, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Heather- I say that all the time…that i think it is crazy that we should know what we want to do right out of college…
i am always inspired by people who make career changes later on and follow through with it!

Abigail @ Good To Think and Eat October 20, 2010 at 9:22 am

Unfortunately the idea of flicking a pea off my plate stresses me out! WHERE WOULD THE PEA GO? Would someone step on it? Would it disappear under my couch? I know it’s just a metaphor but oh the images it creates….

Deep breaths.

The sentiment is still extremely useful.

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Abigail,
Yes, breathe my friend. The peas will all be found and will not get smooshed on the floor. I promise. :)

Mandiee October 20, 2010 at 9:24 am

Thanks for the friendly reminder, HEAB. I am definitely a perfectionist who strives to please. I also really like getting into routines. Sometimes it’s nice to just remember to take things as they come and just go with the flow. Maybe I should do some pea flicking of my own :P . When the little HEABlet arrives, I’m sure you’ll learn to just go with it, too. After all, she’s already changed your life in so many ways; the love you have for her will overcome any stress you have.

Have a lovely day!
xox

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Thanks Mandiee, and I hope you have a lovely day as well. :)

Danielle (Runs on Green) October 20, 2010 at 9:25 am

Heather, I’m the same exact way when it comes to bringing stress upon myself (I’ve always been like that…it’s a horrible gene!) I love the analogy of flicking peas off your plate :)

Coconut curry rice with squash and peas- omg I had something very similar the other day (coconut curry pumpkin bowl…it had peas in it). Best. Thing. Ever.

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Danielle,
Great minds think…and eat alike. :)

eatmovelove October 20, 2010 at 9:25 am

Pea Flicking – love it. It reminds me of something “Ellen” might say ;) – watch her and then you’ll learn to laugh and let go :) .

Lovely thoughts…you know what I need to ‘flick off’ today :( …here’s to hoping all is not lost and today is still just as beautiful.

…and that Mac & Cheese? – must check that out – looks like spaghetti squash under there…

Kristina @ spabettie October 20, 2010 at 9:27 am

I *LOVE* this!!

I am struggling with something I discovered yesterday, and it hurt when I found out… it is small, and I should not be letting it effect me, but I AM. I did all day yesterday and I thought about it this morning.

I am going to FLICK that pea off my plate today!

:D

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Kristina,
Good for you. No more hurtful thoughts! :)

LizLivingVegan October 20, 2010 at 9:28 am

Haha I like the idea of metaphorically flicking peas off my plate :) But that mac&cheese looks amazing! I love peas in rice too. Yummy!

Ilana October 20, 2010 at 9:30 am

I think the key is to stop taking yourself/life/things so seriously. Life is so serious that if you take everything seriously you’re gonna crack! “Perfection” is impossible to attain and I often find that my friends who are constantly striving for it just make themselves crazy because they can’t reach that point – and they’re so SERIOUS about being perfect that when they aren’t, it’s the be-all-end-all end of the world. I’m always looking for more, and better, and different, but never perfect, because I don’t think it exists, and that way I find it’s easier for me to just let things slide off my shoulders. I just can’t take most things TOO seriously – it’s just not healthy!!

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Ilana,
I agree…not healthy OR fun! Life is too short to strive for perfection all the time, and you’re right, it’s impossible!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) October 20, 2010 at 9:34 am

I feel the same way sometimes. When life gets completely overwhelming, I flick all the peas onto another plate, and decide which ones I absolutely MUST do something about that day. For example, if I have a firm deadline for a paper for work, that HAS to get done. The laundry…um…sometimes it can wait. It makes everything more manageable.

S @ extremebalance.net/blog October 20, 2010 at 9:39 am

Maybe *the* hardest thing to let go of is standards when you’re a perfectionist… scary, even when you know it needs to be done! I’m in the same boat, and I feel for you. Letting go of work perfectionism makes me a better person (because I actually sleep and exercise when not chasing the fantasy!), but that doesn’t mean I always live up to it. :)

Sami October 20, 2010 at 9:40 am

HOW weird. I just bought some peas yesterday and made a pea mash to put ontop of my veggie burger for my packed dinner before class tonight! :)

<3 peas. they're so SWEET!

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Sami,
Never made a pea mash. I think I need to do that. :)

Dorry October 20, 2010 at 9:49 am

Love this! I should definitely flick a pea or 2 off my plate everyday. And I really want a big bowl of mac & cheese with peas, HEAB style. Looks delish, as usual.

Natalia - a side of simple October 20, 2010 at 9:50 am

I absolutely hate to let anyone down or disappoint them, especially my parents (even though they honestly don’t put any pressure on me), so lately I’ve been worrying a lot about my grades. I’m going to make it a point to just relax about them and take it in stride. I’m sure a few points here or there isn’t going to break me!

Amber at Berlin's Whimsy October 20, 2010 at 9:52 am

I hear ya. Especially before I had kids, I was such a control freak about so much of my life and I have to admit, having kids changed a lot of that (from my body becoming huge during pregnancy to their baby/child things taking over my house)! They teach you so much. Now that my kids are entering adolescence (gasp), I’m sure they’ll teach me about (even more) patience and guidance… ;-)

I agree, we all could take a dose of ‘letting go’ and ‘letting be.’ Thanks for the reminder! You take care…

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:44 pm

You’re welcome Amber and thanks for your well wishes. I know I have a lot to learn from the HEABlet…can’t wait. :)

Justine October 20, 2010 at 10:07 am

Fantastic post Miss Heather! I’ve been a little paranoid about not blogging everyday, but frankly, I’ve been busy with other things! I know that there are people out there that are able to do it everyday (like yourself) and I respect them so much for it and enjoy reading them whenever I can. I have been trying not to freak out so much if I can only post once or twice a week. Blogging can be a sort of full time job, and I already have one of those! Ha.
I didn’t realise you were only a month away! I cant wait to see your little bundle of joy outside of the tummy. She is sure to be the sweetest little thing. :)

You’ve been inspiring me with squashes this fall- I’ve been mainly stuffing them, but I’m making a pizza with one tonight! :)

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Justine,
Well, honestly, I’m able to post everyday because the blog pretty much is my full-time job these days. I’m still doing massage therapy here and there, but the belly is getting in the way a bit. :) I don’t see how people post everyday that work an 8 to 5 job do it. When do they sleep?!? I couldn’t do it.

Squash pizza? That sounds like something I would love. Enjoy! :)

Laura October 20, 2010 at 10:12 am

This is ironic because two days ago my facebook status said precisely this-
“I can’t make everyone happy, and that’s OKAY.”

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Laura,
Yes, it’s okay! Thanks for the reminder. :)

Katie October 20, 2010 at 10:13 am

Such a well-timed post. I have been dealing with some issues that arose in the last few days that are affecting me, but I have no control over. I am flicking those peas. RIGHT NOW!

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Katie,
Yeah! Flick ‘em! :)

Nashville Nosher October 20, 2010 at 10:36 am

Yum those both look great! Can you believe I just bought my first spaghetti squash the other day? I’m excited to try it out!

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:47 pm

NN,
No…but better late than never. Enjoy! :)

Cindy October 20, 2010 at 10:57 am

GOSH I love that you talked about this. I am a recovering pefectionist, and I never realized how bad and deep the issue was until recently. I just keep flicking those peas off each and every day. and than there is another layer to be dealt with.

sigh.

life is a process, and good for you for realizing that Mommy life is going to throw everything into a blender, but you’ll love every mintue swear! (okay, maybe NOT EVERY moment but at the end of the day you just feel so good!)

oh and if nothing else we just keep the clutter at bay (not easy to do with kids) and we still seem to feel CALMER until we can deal with whatever else needs to be handled .

it’s a small price to pay for inner calm.
(but my son is a HANDFUL) hahaha

Happy Wednesday

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Cindy,
I know – I feel like as soon as I get one thing crossed off my list, something else pops up. I guess it never ends, and I just need to accept that and relax…and yes, just try and keep the clutter at bay. Great advice! :)

Paula October 20, 2010 at 11:10 am

Perfectly said! I am learning that taking care of myself and letting go of the matters, I cannot control and has made me happier and more eneretic. It makes me a better person, I think. I am loving the combo of tahini, lemon, seeded mustard and nutritional yeast. Your mac & cheese looks divine!

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Paula,
Happy to hear it…a lesson we could all learn. :)

zoe (and the beatles) October 20, 2010 at 11:43 am

you just motivated me to go buy a spaghetti squash. oooh boy does that look delicious :) !

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Zoe,
Enjoy1 :)

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey October 20, 2010 at 11:48 am

Haha, I like this post. I have no idea what to flick off my plate.. it’s all important! lol.

VeggieGirl October 20, 2010 at 11:50 am

Euphemism in my mind…

Lauren @ WWoB October 20, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I made some ginger teff cookies last night and thought of you and Alex (from spoonful of sugar free) because they are wheat, dairy, everything free — and yet so, so good.

I am flicking off some worry-peas.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 20, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Either flick ‘em or mush them into another food and eat ‘em up!! Either way they’re no longer there for you to worry about. :P

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Mary,
Haha – yes! :)

natalie (the sweets life) October 20, 2010 at 12:46 pm

thank you for sharing–this was a reminder i needed to hear today! hopefully we both can take the advice :)

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Natalie,
I hope so…I really needed to hear this today too! :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 20, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I don’t have peas to flick — I have a whole barrel of peas that need to get kicked down a big ass hill!

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Holly,
Flick ‘em…kick ‘em…whatever you need to do!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 20, 2010 at 1:14 pm

“I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a total control freak/people pleaser.”

Me too!!!

I just did a post on being a Pleaser. Last week. I talked about all of this. I talked about how I cannot be responsible for another’s happiness and even if I theoretically “could” be responsible for their happiness, some people are truly just un-pleaseable anyway. There is nothing I, you, the Universe could do for them to please them anyway so it’s high time me, you, and everyone else stop trying :)

We can only really do our best on any given day. I am effected when I know another person isn’t exactly thrilled with me, or the situation at large that I am a part of, but I have to let go of trying to please them. It’s not my job. Some people say they arent effected, well, great for them…I am. I want everyone to feel peace and harmony and I try my best to facilitate that but have to realize as I said already, I know intellectually this isnt always possible or realistic.

Sorry to ramble on and on…it’s just a topic I feel passionately about…and posted about it :)

I will flick off commenting from 10 less blogs than normal today…that’s a big step for me!

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Averie,
Good for you. 10 less! :)

And this is so true: “some people are truly just un-pleaseable anyway. There is nothing I, you, the Universe could do for them to please them anyway so it’s high time me, you, and everyone else stop trying”. Took me a long time to realize this. I try to love everyone as best I can, but some people will never be happy. Makes me sad. :(

Kelly October 20, 2010 at 1:26 pm

What a great saying! I tend to be that way also and always feel this unrealistic need to be perfect. But the thing is, if we are always trying to be perfect then we are failing 100% of the time.

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Kelly,
So true, and life is too short to try and live that way!

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 20, 2010 at 1:42 pm

oooooooh coconut curry rice sounds PERFECTO! i have some peas ready to be eaten too… ;)

Christina @ ilovefetacheese October 20, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I have yet to try nutritional yeast, but I want to. Ironically enough, I work in a microbiology lab and its actually what we feed to E.coli (dead yeast cells). It always had a distinct smell but I couldn’t put my finger on what the smell was…now i know, nutty/cheesy!

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Christina,
Steal some for the lab and make the mac & cheese! ;)

Kelly October 20, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I love Mac n Cheese n Peas!! Peas + nutritional yeast (well, really, anything plus nutritional yeast) is good in my book!

Heather, I think of you often when I am making oatmeal – lately, the mix has been pumpkin, with squares of baker’s chocolate for melty goodness, drizzled with peanut butter or macadamia nut butter. Great, now I want more oatmeal lol

Have you heard/seen the perfectly imperfect protests? http://www.ordinarycourage.com/my-blog/2010/10/11/this-is-what-change-looks-like.html

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 8:38 am

Hey Kelly,
Your comment was in my spam folder, and I just found it – sorry about that. No, I have not see the perfectly imperfect protests, but I just watched the video. So great, and so true! Nobody can ever be 100% perfect – thanks so much for sending me the link, and I’m so happy to hear you’re enjoying oatmeal with BAKER’S CHOCOLATE! Sounds perfect to me. :)

Hanna M. October 20, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Wow, Heather, that’s just what I needed to hear. I’m also the everything-must-be-perfect-kind, but that’s not possible, right?. Still, I get stressed from too much clutter and dirty dishes and laundry… I guess I need to pick the right peas to flick off ;) Rumour says that when you get children the whole plate is just flipped so all peas fall of ;) They need to eat and sleep and cuddle and won’t mind dirty dishes…. So excited for you BTW! Your little girl is truly lucky to have such amazing parents!! Can’t wait for the first picture :) and to read about your experience of how your up to now controlled lifestyle changes with a baby to take care of. Hugs

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Thanks Hanna. Yes, perfectionism is impossible – something we all need to be reminded of, myself included. I think the HEABlet is going to teach me a lot about that, and I’m looking forward to every minute. :)

Mama Pea October 20, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Hmm…I think I might know who that advice is from :)

Please don’t flick me from your plate.

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Mama Pea,
You’re one pea I would never flick off. ;)

Monica October 20, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I have never heard that saying before but absolutely love it! How cute!

I think a kid coming into the picture will force you to flick a lot of peas off your plate. That seems to be the natural thing that happens when you become a parent, your priorities shift drastically and you start to go with the flow more. :)

The HEAB Mac & Cheese – W.O.W! I am replacing my current plans for my spaghetti squash with this dish!

I made your 2-ingredient fudge last night and it turned out incredible!

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Monica,
So glad you enjoyed the fudge, and I hope the mac & cheese turns out just as well. It’s so good, and I’m not sure why I don’t make it more often. And yes, I think the HEABlet is going to tip over my entire plate of peas…it’s going to be good for me. Can’t wait actually. :)

Pure2raw twins October 20, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Michelle and I are the same way, we are people pleasers. We sometimes forget to take care of ourselves or our needs, even to each other, weird bc we are twins, haha.
I try to take care of myself first but it is hard sometimes. I will try working on it too. HUGS

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Hugs right back at ya Lori. To your sister as well. :)

Claire October 20, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Heather,

Thank you for this post! It’s just what I needed to hear today. I read it this morning soon after waking up with a head full of To Dos, and now I’ve spent some time today flicking peas off my plate, because, like you, my whole world is about to change in February when my little girl arrives. And she’s my top priority! Even now, I know stress is bad for her, so I’m trying to relax more.
Thanks again!

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Claire,
So happy to read your comment. I’ve read so much about keeping stress to a minimum during pregnancy, and I have to say there are many days when I feel like I failed miserably. It was hard with some of the home renovations we were doing – so stressful, but everything has fallen into place, and I feel a lot more at peace now…hope the HEABlet does as well. :)

Megan (Braise The Roof) October 20, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I love that saying! Makes everything sound so simple! I’m also a perfectionist, and I put a lot of expectation on myself to succeed. Today, I’m going to try to be a little easier on myself and take failures (or at least what I’ve perceived to be failures!) with a grain of salt.

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Megan,
Good for you. Hope it was a good day. :)

Carolyn October 20, 2010 at 5:28 pm

i think it’s the mental image you can form of the actual flicking… of said item, person, task that makes this saying such a good one for us all….very satisfying…

…and there it goes…it’s outta here..!!!

Nicole October 20, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I flicked the dinner peas off my plate by making crockpot chili (threw everything in before I left for work, chopped everything up the night before) and letting Dennis make the cornbread so I had an awesome dinner ready for me when I got home from work. As much as I love to cook, I hate dealing with it after work so this was a huge pea flick for me!

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Nicole,
Sounds like a rather tasty pea flick as well. Glad you enjoyed dinner! :)

Rachael October 20, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Routine and order have always been something I craved, but I find having a houseful of messy, male roommates has been strangely educational…I’ve learned to back off a little, and when peas get flicked fly, I’m starting to just let ‘em go. More will follow – a universal constant there!
Any recommendations on where to get really good Mediterranean food in Nashville? I’m coming through this weekend and would love to get as much hummus, pita and lamb in me as possible!

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Rachael,
Mediterranean Cuisine on 21st Avenue is my favorite, but they don’t have a website. Another good one is Kalamatas: http://www.eatatkalamatas.com/. What are you doing in Nashville? So fun!

And yes, living with CD and 2 hairy dogs has definitely educated me in backing off a little. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 20, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Yes – you do need to flick some peas off your plate right now! As a mommy you will be very busy and you need to take care of YOU! I can’t wait to see the HEABlet – she is going to have great parents!

In the last month, I have flicked a lot of peas off my plate. I have made some major changes in my life and I am vfeeling pretty calm and relaxed!!!

HEAB October 20, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Chelsey,
Good for you, and yes, I have the feeling my whole plate of peas is going to get tossed on the floor when the HEABlet arrives. I can’t wait. :)

BroccoliHut October 20, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Peas are actually the one vegetable I can’t stomach, so I did plenty of pea-flicking in my childhood:)

amyjogo October 20, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Oh I had one of those days today too. I work for the ‘welfare’ office. A client of mine is looney and has complained all the way to legislative level about problems with her case. Problems that she is responsible for but I tried to resolve as a courtesy. I’ve spent the last two days in panic mode because a State Representative is questioning my work ethic and integrity.

I had a come to Jesus talk with myself during lunch though. I’m going to do what I need to do to get the heck out of that place. I love my coworkers and for the most part, I love my clients (elderly and disabled) but I do not enjoy the politics.

I read a tee shirt once: ‘Don’t give me no sh*t, or I’ll flick a booger on you!’

booger…peas…it’s all the same ;)

HEAB October 21, 2010 at 7:13 am

Amyjogo,
Your first 2 paragraphs left me frowning – I am so sorry you have to deal with all of that – your job sounds really stressful. Hope you’re able to find something else soon. All that being said, the last sentence you wrote made me laugh out loud. I think it’s high time you do some booger flicking! :)

clare October 20, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Timely post Heather. Not only am I craving spaghetti squash, but I’ve gotta let go of some mushy microwaved peas from a can. I have had to turn down a few jobs and opportunities this week for my own sanity and schedule, and that is very disappointing. I feel like I should be able to DO IT ALL! But I can’t and I get upset with that. So I’m trying to let it go and just be with my decisions. Thanks for the reminder that its OK to take care of ME…because I can’t take care of others if I’m a mess.

HEAB October 21, 2010 at 7:06 am

Clare,
Yes, you need to take care of yourself and love on Clare as well as others. Never forget that! :)

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad October 20, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Mmmm… must make coconutty butternutty squash rice. With peas. While flicking other life peas off of my life plate.

Moni'sMeals October 20, 2010 at 10:54 pm

You are so amazing for your honesty and being just…REAL. Not one of us is perfect and we all can try our best but we can’t have it all be perfect all the time.
I love your expression “flick some peas off your plate!” Never heard that one. A southern thing perhaps?!

Yes I too try to do it all and it always is a balance I struggle with. It takes work to not be a super hero. ;)

I flicked some stuff off my plate today too!

HEAB October 21, 2010 at 7:04 am

Moni,
Don’t think it’s a southern phrase as my friend that told me to start flicking lives in Michigan, although she grew up in Texas, and so maybe it is southern. Happy to hear you did some flicking of your own yesterday! :)
P.S. Enjoy the Oreo truffles. I must admit they were amazing!

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan October 20, 2010 at 10:54 pm

What timely advice for me…I’m sitting here at 11pm, eyes drooping, dead tired and craving sleep, but I still have 34 posts to read (and, in many cases, comment on) in my Google reader, plus comments on my own blog to reply to…but you know, I think I need to just go to bed. I’m going to flick my own pea-self into sleepyland! :)

HEAB October 21, 2010 at 6:52 am

Amber,
Hope you got some good rest! :)

Namaste Gurl October 20, 2010 at 11:59 pm

I’m going through similar hardships currently–not a fun dilemma! Ad mist craziness, I try to stay positive and grateful for what’s in front of me. Thanks for the encouragement– it’s quite timely.

Sending you love and best thoughts xx

HEAB October 21, 2010 at 6:36 am

Love and best thoughts to you as well Namaste Gurl. :)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com October 21, 2010 at 12:11 am

it was so hard for me to admit that i was a ‘people pleaser’
actually my yoga teacher told me that and i said “WHO, ME???” yes, me! and its true. even tho i feel like im anything but, i see how much of my daily nuances and stresses come from that need to maintain happiness with everyone in my life. i take on people’s pains and feelnigs and it leaves me drained with no energy for myself. i like to think of it as OCD in which we’re obsessively-compulsive about the thoughts and needs of others. but if i flicked more peas off my plate, i’d probably notice how much richer life is. hopefully we can reach a place where it really doesnt bother us, but i like the “flicking peas” analogy…definitely works as a good starting point <3

xoxo

HEAB October 21, 2010 at 6:35 am

Kelsey,
I tend to do this as well, “I take on people’s pains and feelnigs and it leaves me drained with no energy for myself.” Hopefully, we can both get a little better at taking care of ourselves so that we can better take care of others. :)

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast October 21, 2010 at 3:05 am

I love this post! I have done a lot of pea flicking lately. The hardest part for me to figure out is which peas to flick and which ones I need to push to the side of the plate to get to later. I tend to push too many aside when I should be flicking.

When I was coming up on my daughter Annabelle’s due date, I tried to get everything as in order as possible. I wrote my announcement emails so all I had to do was add her name (we hadn’t decided yet) and height/weight/time of birth etc. and click send. I even got the birth announcements picked out online, imported all of my addresses, chose the design and left it so all I had to do was upload the picture and type in the name and birth details when she was born. The company did the rest, including mailing them out! It was a huge help.

I hope you are still able to blog some when your baby girl arrives since you enjoy it so much. I certainly will not be expecting responses from you during that time though! ;)

HEAB October 21, 2010 at 6:18 am

Emily,
Wow – good call on getting all the birth announcement stuff done. I think I’ll start working on that now. Thx for the tip! :)

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast October 21, 2010 at 10:42 am

You’re welcome! Everyone was so impressed at how fast I got them out. ;) I am eating your coconut curry peas & rice and it’s SO good!

Lorne October 21, 2010 at 4:21 am

You are so right Heather! My recent ordeal has reaffirmed everything you have said today in your post. There is a time for everything, and now may just be a good time to let go (and see what happens)….

Erika @ Food.Fitness.Fun October 21, 2010 at 6:23 am

Pea Flicking…never heard that expression before! :-P
Today I “flick some peas off my plate” by not doing my English homework.

JUST KIDDING! ;-)

HEAB October 21, 2010 at 7:14 am

Erika,
Hehe, yeah, that’s one pea you might want to keep on your plate! ;)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood October 21, 2010 at 7:37 am

Ahh, I remember those days when I was striving so hard to please everyone… didn’t worked out so well for ME in the end so I went, Oh the heck with you! And after that, my room has become disorderly, my boyfriend is running around my room like a chicken with its head cut off trying to find his stuff that I’d hidden… just kidding, my room isn’t thatt messy! It’s just “cluttered.” There IS a difference, ;)

I hope you buy that peacoat! It’s so pretty! And it also comes in beige, chocolate brown, and teal. Chocolate brown would look SOOO adorable with a pink hat! :) This is the inner salesperson talking, hahaha =)

HEAB October 21, 2010 at 7:51 am

Sylvia,
Chocolate Brown?!? Now you’re talking – my favorite color these days! :)

Gammy October 30, 2010 at 9:10 am

While reading your post my first thought was – yeah, it might feel good to flick those peas off your plate, but who is going to pick them up? Yes, I took your literally. Once I realized it was a figure of speech I definitely laughed out loud.

I, like you, often take the world on my shoulders. You can imagine – it is my first time on your blog and already I’m worried about the peas on the floor! When I’m overwhelmed I often think of “Getting my ducks in a row”. Then I often give myself permission to shoot some of the ducks that I just don’t have time to line up. Of course your analogy is less gruesome!

HEAB October 30, 2010 at 11:20 am

Gammy,
You’re funny. Thanks so much for reading…and I don’t know, sometimes, shooting a duck might feel really good compared to flicking a few peas. Love ducks – so maybe that duck shooting video game would do. ;)