My Dream Date

by HEAB on October 22, 2010

I cheated on CD today with this…

Sorry CD, but my lunch date was quite dreamy. ;)

HEAB reader Sarah emailed me about Abby’s Table, a Portland, Oregon based company owned by chef Abby Fammartino. Abby’s mission is to share her love and passion for real whole foods from around the world while focusing on a local, back to basics food culture. She even hosts weekly dinners in her commercial kitchen using her line of handmade sauces free of gluten, dairy, soy, and refined sugars. Many thanks to Sarah for telling me about Abby, and many thanks to Abby for sending me some of her amazing sauces to sample! I’ll be sure to blog about the other ones soon, but today, I was all about Dream Date, a dessert dipping sauce made with with the following ingredients: Organic Coconut Milk (Coconut, Water, Guar Gum), Organic Dates, Organic Agave Nectar, Organic Raw Cashew Butter, Organic Pure Vanilla Extract, Organic Lemon Juice, Water, Citric Acid, Sea Salt. Edited to Add: Sorry folks, I was using outdated info and wanted to let you know that the formula for Dream Date was changed this past May. The list of ingredients should read: Organic Dates, Organic Coconut Milk (Coconut, Water, Guar Gum), Organic Raw Cashew Butter, Organic Pure Vanilla Extract, Purified Water, Citric Acid, Sea Salt. The sauce reminds me of my favorite amaretto fruit dip my mom used to make…just without all the cream cheese and powdered sugar.

I ate some straight from the jar and then decided I better make something to put it on and fast as I could have easily finished off the entire thing with nothing but my spoon. Enter some of the following…

Jason was kind enough to send me Lake Shore Pumpkin, his favorite canned pumpkin along with some Libby’s so that I could compare the two. Well, I busted opened the Lake Shore stuff today for my lunch, and it’s so yummy, definitely just as good as Libby’s. Not sure if it’s better as I need to compare them side-by-side, but I must say that Lake Shore’s can is definitely a lot more fun. Hehe, I’m all about the marketing! Thanks Jason – can’t wait to taste test!

So, lunch consisted of a flourless crepe filled with Lake Shore Pumpkin, crumbled goat cheese, Dream Date sauce, and cinnamon…

Fantastic, especially after the 2-hour hike I went on with my mom this morning…

IMG_6379.JPG  IMG_6380.JPG

Hey belly, what’s up?

IMG_6373.JPG IMG_6381.JPG

We saw 10+ deer and a wild turkey.

I love fall in Nashville. Such a beautiful time of year.

Don’t forget to enter my Nutmeric giveaway and have a fabulous weekend!

Jessica @ How Sweet October 22, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Dream Date sounds INCREDIBLE!

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie October 22, 2010 at 2:17 pm

You make such a cute preggers hiker! What’s your favourite thing to make with pumpkin?

HEAB October 22, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Alina,
Oh gosh, so many possibilities, but these days I’m loving adding pumpkin to stir-fry: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/10/14/shes-here/. It’s delicious!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 22, 2010 at 2:23 pm

The pictures are gorgeous. Of you! The fall scenery isn’t bad either :)

I cannot believe you are so active, so late in the game. I wasn’t really that active. I guess I trudged along. I was already having so many contractions (braxton-hicks) at like 36weeks that it was actually better to walk and be active than sit around but still…I moved, just very slowly :)

The pic of you in the woods. Cherish that one. It’s a keeper!

The Dream Date. Oh my, yes please. I’ll do a double date anytime with that one!

And pumpkin puree…only blogger who’s not ga-ga for pumpkin so the finer points of libby’s, TJ’s brand, etc are kinda lost on me. ha!

Enjoy your weekend!!!!

HEAB October 22, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Averie,
I know – as much as I love pumpkin, I’m totally sick of reading about it! Hehe. No braxton-hicks contractions yet…just a lot of kicking. :)

melissa @ the delicate place October 22, 2010 at 2:33 pm

oh man…that stuff must be nectar of the gods! hey good news (i think) ;0 active mama’s to be typically have shorter labors! my friend who exercised walked, hiked or ran through her pregnancy had a 5hr labor and it’s her first child! nuts huh?

HEAB October 22, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Melissa,
I hope and pray for a short labor everyday. Here’s to staying active. :)

Clairerose C October 22, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Fall is definitely my favorite time of year.I love your pictures!!Keep em coming:-)cc

HEAB October 22, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Clairerose,
Me too and will do! :)

Ana October 22, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Just reading the ingredients of that dream date made my mouth water, this thing must be delicious!
Love your pics!

HEAB October 22, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Ana,
Oh my gosh, the Dream Date is so good. Just ate some atop a bowl of oat bran. Yum!

Rachel Edwards October 22, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Wow you live in SUCH a beautiful place! x

HEAB October 22, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Thanks Rachel, Nashville is a really pretty place. I love it. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 22, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! The scenery and you! Glad you had a great hike with your mama!

rebecca lustig October 22, 2010 at 2:41 pm

ah crepes! gets me excited for Europe! im craving yours right now– the textures and flavors seem so comforting!

belly is lookin mighty fine girl ;)

HEAB October 22, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Thanks Rebecca. It’s feeling mighty big. ;)

Laura October 22, 2010 at 2:43 pm

That crepe, looks like a crepe of dreams!!!!!!

Krystina (Organically Me) October 22, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I need a dream date in my life :D

Little Bookworm October 22, 2010 at 2:57 pm

That Dream Date sauce sounds amazing! Love the photos of the scenery as well. :)

Shannon October 22, 2010 at 3:11 pm

wow. that crepe AND that date saucy sound so dreamy!! sounds like it could be recreated…

HEAB October 22, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Shannon,
Yes, and I will be attempting to recreate as soon as I run out as it’s sooooo good!

Caitlin (EatFeats) October 22, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Dang, I would eat that like SOUP.

HEAB October 22, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Caitlin,
Don’t think I wasn’t tempted. ;)

Kristina @ spabettie October 22, 2010 at 3:26 pm

OH MY GOSH… how do I not KNOW about this?? I LIVE in Portland… Hmm… I need to remedy this SOON.

It actually sounds EXACTLY like the date dip I made this summer! I was channeling her and didn’t even know it!!

*HAPPY WEEKEND*

HEAB October 22, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Kristina,
You should totally go to one of Abby’s dinners. I bet the food is amazing as I am LOVING her sauces thus far.

sarah October 22, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Kristina, you should definitely check out a Weds night dinner. $18 (BYOB/W), dairy & gluten-free with a vegan option. SO GOOD. And it’s all family style so you meet cool people. She takes reservations on her web site :) It’s my new favorite place.

Mama Pea October 22, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Everything from Oregon is AMAZING. :) I am going to track down some of that deliciousness NOW.

You look so beautiful in the leaves…I’m getting so excited for you. Not too much longer!!!

Mama Pea October 22, 2010 at 3:27 pm

GAH! They have it at the Whole Foods I’m going to tonight!!!!

HEAB October 22, 2010 at 9:10 pm

MamaPea,
Did you find some? Oh my gosh, the Dream Date is so good as is Abby’s Nude Ranch. You will love. :)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free October 22, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Mmmm! That looks so yummy :)

That is a beautiful hike! The scenery is gorgeous, and you are looking really good, too!

Meg October 22, 2010 at 4:00 pm

HEAB! How could you? Cheating on CD with a baby on board?! What is this world coming to?!

Actually, dang your lunch date is a HOTTIE! I don’t blame you ;) I kid, I kid. Anyways, what beautiful scenery and a beautiful belly!! You look amazing as always, Heather, and I’m glad you set out to enjoy the weather and fall – fall is just amazing in so many ways!

Happy FRIDAY!

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 7:30 am

Meg,
Hehe…CD tried the Dream Date when he got home from work and forgave me. ;)

S @ extremebalance.net/blog October 22, 2010 at 4:04 pm

You’re my absolute hero for keeping up with fitness so well, so late in the pregnancy. Do you think you’ll be one of those people who comes out of the birth weighing *less* than they did before pregnancy?

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 7:31 am

S,
Doubt it, but that would be nice. :)

Hayley October 22, 2010 at 4:51 pm

I LOVE the picture of you in the woods…you’re glowing!! Nashville truly is beautiful in the fall…

Katie October 22, 2010 at 4:56 pm

OK, you totally spilled the beans by listing the ingredients…duly noted and will try to replicate at home.

Your belly is the cutest thing. Almost makes me want to pregnant. Almost. ;)

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 7:33 am

Katie,
Yes, I will be replicating as well as soon as I run out. So good!

Sonia October 22, 2010 at 5:02 pm

omg that stuff sounds fantastic! doesn’t sound too difficult to try and recreate! <3 and as always, you look freaking adorable!

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 7:34 am

Thanks Sonia. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 22, 2010 at 5:11 pm

That reallt does sond like a dream date ;)

eatmovelove October 22, 2010 at 5:22 pm

A 2-hour hike? That’s impressive. With fall that lovely, I can see why though! It’s pretty darn cold here, brrrr.

The sauce looks good! I take it is is like a sauce more? Or can it be spread like a butter?

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 7:34 am

Eatmovelove,
It’s more like a dipping sauce but not thin at all – definitely spreadable.

Carbzilla October 22, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Yummers! I’ll have to check that out when we’re down in Portland!

Glad you’re looking and feeling great! Gosh 9 months went by fast!

Courtney (greeneyedrunner) October 22, 2010 at 5:34 pm

your baby belly is so beautiful! as are you, you’re glowing :]

Dream Date sounds…um, DREAMY? portland is a wonderful city, especially for health and wellness!

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 7:35 am

Courtney,
I know – I love Portland, and thanks for your kind words. Hope you have a good weekend! :)

Ashley October 22, 2010 at 5:44 pm

YOU are just way too adorable!!!! And, whatever is in that jar looks heavenly :) Have a great weekend Heather!!

Michelle October 22, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Wild Turkeys are scary! Well maybe in the wild they’re less scary but we have a few that hang around Boston and they try to bit commuters on the way to the train!

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 7:36 am

Michelle,
Really?!? I’ve never been that close to one, and I don’t think I want to be. ;)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 22, 2010 at 6:10 pm

That sauce looks amazing!!! I would have definitely continued to eat it out of the jar. You are beautiful and so strong at 36 weeks pregnant!! Go you!!

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 7:36 am

Thanks Chelsey!

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast October 22, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Oh my that Dream Date looks dreamy and your crepe combo is totally something I would do. I often put goat cheese on things that most people would use cream cheese for – and generally get odd looks. It’s so encouraging to find out I’m not alone! I can’t wait to hear about the other sauces!

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 7:39 am

Emily,
My very budget-minded husband calls goat cheese “your overpriced cream cheese”. ;)

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama October 22, 2010 at 7:12 pm

A 2 hour hike?! You are my pregnant woman inspiration!!

Annie@stronghealthyfit October 22, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Wow, that sauce sounds amazing! It could probably be replicated fairly easily too. Looks like a great product.

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 7:40 am

Annie – yes, and you better believe I’ll be trying to replicated it as soon as I run out. It’s so good!

monicanelsonfitness October 22, 2010 at 7:50 pm

you sure did cheat on CD! What a snack indeed…

Lovely pics and of your glowing self too! ;)

Bridget October 22, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Nashville is beautiful! And so are you and the little heablet.

And I would definitely go on a date with that dipping sauce! Yum

Kristin October 22, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Gorgeous Heather, gorgeous fall day!

Nicole October 22, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Every pregnant picture of you that I’ve seen has been absolutely gorgeous.
Happy Fall!!

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 7:40 am

Thanks Nicole…I don’t post the bad ones. Hehe. ;)

Thetreadmilldiaries October 22, 2010 at 8:34 pm

What a great day and scene for hiking. Looks like tons of fun. And dream date sounds delish.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) October 22, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I made grain-free coconut flour pumpkin muffins the other day from the Cooking with Coconut Flour cookbook — they turned out so awesome! I think you would like them. :)

We have deer and turkeys in our yard all the time. Yay for mountain living, lol.

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 7:41 am

Jenn,
Oh goodness – I NEED that cookbook. Love coconut flour!

Heather October 22, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Oh my gosh! Ur date looks “dreamy” Haha! Sorry, I had to! Awww, and your belly looks so cute! :) )

Namaste Gurl October 22, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Mmmm, you know what I’ll say about this product— yum, I totally want some :) No, but really– I love a new, unique nut butter or sauce on this occasion. Love how you HEABfied it and love you! Have a good weekend :) xoxo

Amanda October 22, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Heather:
You certainly do get lots of good things in the mail! I just started reading your blog…am new to Nashville…just had twin baby girls…and lurrve me some almond butter and right now am mildly obsessed with sweet potatoes. Eat them for breakfast…with almond milk, not butter. Congrats on your pregnancy and the soon-to-be arriving little munchkin and also for your wonderful blog!

xx
Amanda

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 7:44 am

Amanda,
I know – companies & other bloggers have been very generous to me, and I cannot tell a lie. I like it. ;) So cool you live in Nashville – welcome. I hope you’re enjoying the city. The hiking photos are from Radnor Lake. Have you been there yet? It’s on of my favorite places to go walking, especially if I can come home to a big baked sweet tater afterwards. :)
Congrats on the birth of your twin baby girls – very exciting!

elise October 23, 2010 at 2:18 am

youre killing me with all these amazing new products!!

hi belly :)

Lorne October 23, 2010 at 2:55 am

You seem to have so many jars of yummy goodness in America – I am so jealous of all these things, if I ever visit America I think I’ll spend my time prowling the aisles for jars of yumminess to return home with! Dream Date sounds fab as did the nutmeric :0)

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 7:46 am

Lorne,
I know, I don’t understand why various nut butters and other amazing condiments don’t catch on more outside of the U.S. I think it has something to do with the Nutella and Vegemite monopolies. Hope you’re feeling well – been thinking about ya!

michelle October 23, 2010 at 5:25 am

I loved Braxton hicks! weird I know. Date night out sounds ridiculously good. I’m thinking date squares……oatmeal, dates cooked down into a jam with cashew butter on top. Thanks for Sunday breakfast!

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 7:46 am

Michelle,
What time will you be serving breakfast on Sunday…and may I please join you? I’ll bring the Dream Date. :)

Bid October 23, 2010 at 7:06 am

I love the pictures from your wildlife walk. beautiful weather too..!

If you were here i would pat your belly (without asking)..So cute…

…Enjoy this weekend!

Erika @ Food.Fitness.Fun October 23, 2010 at 7:47 am

Dates are soooo good, I can’t believe that up until a few months ago I thought they were gross! Those crepes look amazing. :-) Mmmmm…

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 8:08 am

Erika,
So glad you have accepted the goodness of dates. My brother felt the same way about them – I mean, they are pretty ugly. But, then one day I made him curried couscous with chopped dates and toasted almonds…that converted him. :)

Brooke October 23, 2010 at 8:43 am

i can’t believe how tiny you are! so cute. :) the “dream date” looks amazing. i’m picturing it drizzled on apples right about now.

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Brooke,
It would be so good on apples – especially Granny Smith’s. I think the sweet sauce would pair perfectly with a more sour apple. In fact, I think I’ll buy myself a Granny today! :)

polly October 23, 2010 at 9:23 am

Hello LOVE!
I just caught up on a WEEK of HEAB. Loved every word, pic, and yum. Your belly is adorable and I hope you just keep enjoying life and chicken skin :P and know you are loved and soon that little pumpkin (squash) will be here and ready to hold and love on. We pray every day for you, sweet friend!!!

Just got back from something I’ve NEVER done. ZUMBA. I thought I was going to pass out, but… it was FUN! :D

LURVE YOU!

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Polly,
Haha – I would have loved to have been with you in your Zumba class. I did it once and had a lot of fun, but then dropped my Y membership. So, no more zumba classes for me, but I’d like to do another one…perhaps together someday? :)

Dana October 23, 2010 at 9:54 am

I love tthe fall as well!

Going to check out abbys table, thanks!

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood October 23, 2010 at 10:34 am

I couldn’t find any Lake Shore pumpkin :-[ BUT I did find a small can of Libby’s Pumpkin! I got so excited that I also went to buy a medium-sized pumpkin because it was either that or try to lug home a 20-lb. pumpkin, lols. But now I’m super duper excited to try that pumpkin, both canned and fresh! Confession: I’ve never eaten pumpkin before in my life out of choice. My mom would usually buy a pumpkin during October for decoration and then throw it away. Now I know what to do with all the pumpkins after they’ve been in the house for a week… down my tummy ;)

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Syliva,
After doing a bit of research, I think Lake Shore pumpkin is actually the same as Libby’s. So, you bought the best out there. Enjoy my friend! :)

Kiran October 23, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Umm.. Pumpkin sure makes everything taste good :)

Pure2raw twins October 25, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Love the belly photo!!

Abby Fammartino October 27, 2010 at 12:22 am

SO FUN to read all this feedback! I am very very happy you like the Dream Date as well as the Nude Ranch. We have so much fun creating these, it’s good to know it inspires such yummy recipes. I will have to try the crepes soon!

Thanks, Heather! So glad to have “met” you:) You are too cute.

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 8:07 am

Abby,
Thanks again for the samples. The Nude Pudding pie was a huge hit last night! :)

{ 2 trackbacks }