Bacon Ranch Cheeseburger, HEAB Style

by HEAB on October 23, 2010

It’s been a busy Saturday. Started the morning with a walk through the park in honor of my good friend Lauren’s son, Cooper.

IMG_6405.JPG IMG_6404.JPG

Cooper was born with Downs Syndrome, and we all participated in the mile-long walk sponsored by the Downs Syndrome Association of Middle Tennessee. Lauren, so good to see you and the whole fam!

Next stop was Luluelemon’s Grand Opening Party where I got to catch up with Jessalynn, my favorite yoga instructor in all of Nashville, and Molly, my favorite fellow preggo yogini. Love you girls! :)

IMG_6409.JPG IMG_6410.JPG

I then broke our new grocery budget rules and stopped in Whole Foods for a few items. Couldn’t help myself – I wanted some coconut milk ice-cream!

By the time I got home, I was starving and whipped up a bacon ranch cheeseburger…with a few modifications.

IMG_6412.JPG IMG_6414.JPG

Wilted spinach topped with a grass fed finished burger grilled on the Foreman, one strip crumbled bacon, crumbled goat cheese and Nude Ranch from Abby’s Table  thinned with a bit of water. The Nude Ranch is all raw and totally delicious! Check out the ingredients: Organic Raw Cashew Butter, Water, Organic Olive Oil, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Organic Agave Nectar, Organic Chives, Sea Salt, Organic Spices. Yum, and it really does taste like ranch dressing. Abby, thank you for another wonderful sauce! Edited to Add: Abby’s Table no longer uses agave nectar in the Nude Ranch. The list of ingredients should read: Water, Organic Raw Cashew Butter, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sea Salt, Oregano, Onion Powder, Fennel, Chives, Garlic Powder.

Dessert of course involved vanilla coconut milk ice-cream with a new cookie recipe, but more about that tomorrow. :)

What’s your favorite salad dressing? I rarely buy salad dressings, and usually just make my own with ingredients we have on hand. However, growing up, I was alway a blue cheese girl.

VeggieGirl October 23, 2010 at 2:12 pm

My favorite salad dressings used to switch off between Ranch, Italian, and raspberry vinaigrette.

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood October 23, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Oh GOD, I LOVED blue cheese. LoveD because now I only like my salads plain, but some tahini on my greens now sounds lovely ;)

Melissa October 23, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I’m definately getting some Nude Ranch ! Delicious, with a clever title. Gotta love that. Go to Yogi’s before you have that baby !!!! She’s got a new flavor : Peter Pumpkin.

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Melissa,
I can’t stay away from Sweet CeCe’s…hard to pass up the buy one get one free deal for mama’s to be. ;)

eatmovelove October 23, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Nude Ranch? Oh my…;)

What a tease about the cookies!…

Stefanie October 23, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I use hummus as my dressing for salads. When i was younger I would drown my salads in Thousand Island dressing. Now, prefer to eat them with dressings.

Becki @ Hike, Bike, Eat October 23, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I like mixing a teaspoon of whole grain mustard with some olive oil and cherry balsamic vinegar – sweet and spicy!

Matt October 23, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Come cook for me please ;)

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Matt, You need no cook…looks to me like you do just fine on your own. ;)

Laura October 23, 2010 at 2:40 pm

My mum’s best friends daughter has downs syndrome – the most adorable little girl in the world x

Kaitlyn (College Girl Runs) October 23, 2010 at 2:42 pm

My fav salad dressing is the raspberry vinaigrette by Annie’s! I will never get sick of it!

grocery goddess jen October 23, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I don’t usually put salad dressing on if I have enough good stuff on my salads…feta cheese, or beans, or nuts. I do like maple syrup or hot sauce on salads, too.

Carbzilla October 23, 2010 at 2:56 pm

You look so cute!

So does the dressing taste like Ranch? That’d be fantastic since most Ranch dressings contain MSG. I’ll take Agave over MSG any day!

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Carbzilla,
Thank you and yes, Nude Ranch really does taste like ranch. Delicious! :)

christina @ ilovefetacheese October 23, 2010 at 3:06 pm

new cookie you say? I CANT WAIT

Meagan October 23, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Those cookies look good. I am disappointed in the ingredients for the dressing, it has AGAVE. Agave, if you don’t already know, is the HFCS of the health food realm. It’s just as processed and high on the fructose as actual HFCS itself!

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Meagan,
Yes, I’ve read about the evils of agave. Not my first choice in sweeteners as my body can’t handle much fructose anyway. That’s why I don’t eat fruit often, but as far as ranch dressings go, I think Abby’s Nude Ranch is a much better choice than Kraft’s Hidden Valley Ranch any day!

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Meagan,
Abby contacted me regarding the ingredients used in Nude Ranch, and their website is outdated. The list of ingredients should read: Water, Organic Raw Cashew Butter, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sea Salt, Oregano, Onion Powder, Fennel, Chives, Garlic Powder.

So, no agave! :)

Clairerose C October 23, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I’m looking forward to that new cookie recipe!! I was always a Ranch girl.I’m all about making my own now,too.Mostly vinegar, olive oil,garlic and spices:-)cc

Katie October 23, 2010 at 3:18 pm

I always make my own dressing, and it really depends on my mood. Anything from maple balsamic to thinned out hummus to BBQ sauce to straight up mustard to a mix of all of the above. Basically, anything that is semi-liquid is fair game.

Molly October 23, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Growing up I used to love ranch! Yum! Now I’m a bit more health-conscious but I haven’t really found a healthy dressing I like that much. I usually just use hummus or balsamic vinegar.

Natalia - a side of simple October 23, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Reason number 235098 why my family thinks I eat odd foods! Lately I’ve just been using mustard for my salad dressing. Once I mixed it with some balsamic vinegar and a bit of plain yogurt to make it more liquidy but I actually like the mustard by itself the best. (hint hint: for your endless-container of mustard) ;)

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Natalia,
Your family members are the ones who are missing out! Once you go mustard, you never go back! ;)

kathleen October 23, 2010 at 3:36 pm

the ingredients list on the nude ranch looks awesome. i tend to stick to balsalmic vinegar, vinegar and oil, or some sort of lemon juice-based concoction. the ingredients list on the back of store bought dressings are just too long.

Lauren October 23, 2010 at 3:57 pm

MMM, ice cream and cookies looks good!! Does the agave in the coconut milk ice cream bother you? I have tried it and felt so sick and had a really bad headache. Just wondering cause I know you don’t do too well with fructose like me! Looks yummy still :)

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Lauren,
The agave never makes me feel physically sick, but it I do gain weight easily if I overdo it, even with just a lot of fruit. So, no, one scoop of ice-cream doesn’t really bother me that much…I just wouldn’t want to eat the entire pint in one sitting. OK, so that’s a lie…I would, but I know if I did, I would feel really gross.

Chocolate Covered Katie October 23, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Walk for Downs Syndrome? You really are the sweetest girl I know.
p.s. I like Newman’s Own sesame-ginger. Or Galeo’s miso wasabi ginger. I like ginger :) .
Happy Saturday, sweet (pumpkin) pie!

monicanelsonfitness October 23, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Busy day!

For dressings~I am in a hummus kick that I toss in the salads I make. Try it out!

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Moni,
Hummus is my go-to salad dressing of choice. I love thinning it out with a bit of water and adding a little mustard. I call it Hummy Mustard. :)

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast October 23, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Hummy Mustard sounds delicious!

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free October 23, 2010 at 4:09 pm

I make my own dressing, too! Usually, I just use balsamic vinegar and olive oil, but lately I’ve been making this reeeeally good miso-ginger dressing! Sooo good, and only 3 ingredients :)

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Alex,
OK, so miso and ginger…but what’s the third ingredient? :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 23, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Nude Ranch. Bring it! Anything w/ cashews and agave, apple cider vinegar, high raw vegan…oh yes!

Growing up…ketchup, tons of honey mustard, sweet & sour. Basically anything that was high in sugar, low in salt, onions and garlic. And I use a HUGE container. As in, have a little food with my bowl of condiments/sauce. LOL

Love the walk you did. What a message. So inspiring and many blessings to your friend and her son.

oxox

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Averie,
I’ve always been a lover of condiments – pour it on! :)

Lauren @ WWoB October 23, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I have always loved honey mustard salad dressing. It is what got me to like salads years ago!
And concerning the cookies – they look like they turned out perfectly! Hell yeah!
And I am bummed that I used agave nectar to sub the molasses and maple syrup, but I figured what the hell. I had some to use up, and it was cheaper, andddd a little extra fructose every once in a while isn’t gonna kill anyone. ;)

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Lauren,
The cookies are so good. I actually used maple syrup but only 3 TBSP and skipped the stevia. Also added some pumpkin. Delicious! Thanks again for the recipe. :)

Lauren @ WWoB October 23, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Its hilarious that through healthy living blogging that recipe went from 1 cup of maple syrup/molasses to 3 tbsp… Bahaha. Love it.

HEAB October 24, 2010 at 10:36 am

Lauren,
Both CD and I thought they were perfect with only 3 TBSP…couldn’t imagine them much sweeter, but then again, I don’t think my taste buds are like most people’s when it comes to sweets. ;)

Mama Pea October 23, 2010 at 5:03 pm

So I didn’t get the Abby’s sauce yesterday because I felt guilty for spending $10 on Justin’s Maple Almond Butter. :( But Gigi LOVES ranch and although I buy her Annie’s Organic Cowgirl Ranch, I’m still not over the moon about the ingredient list. Maybe I will be breaking down and buying Abby’s! Gigi will miss the girl with the lasso on the label, though.

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Mama Pea,
You could always just draw a girl + lasso on the Nude Ranch. :)

Nicole October 23, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I’m an oil and vinegar girl but growing up I liked Raspberry Vinaigrette and Catalina. That nude stuff looks good though…Might have to break the budget myself!

Jill October 23, 2010 at 5:27 pm

I love those creamy three-cheese Italian dressings. But I realize that they’re basically a heart attack in a bowl, so I usually have balsamic or regular Italian instead. Or sometimes, if it’s one of those fresh herb blends, I just eat it “rabbit style” (what my family calls “without dressing”-haha).

Lululemon stuff = gorgeous. I saw the stuff about the grand opening, but was a little afraid of letting myself loose in the store! See you on Tues!

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Jill,
Yeah, I talked to my friends and then immediately left as I did not need to buy anything, but I WANTED everything. :) Looking forward to Tuesday as well.

Ana October 23, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Believe it or not, but I only discovered bottled salad dressing after I moved to the US, and I have to tell you, I don’t enjoy it at all. I grew up eating salad made either by my mom or grandmother, and both dressed the salad with salt, vinegar and olive oil. Sometimes a bit of lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar, but that was it, and mostly they used red wine vinegar. As simple as could be, but the most delicious way in my opinion.
That’s actually how I always dress my salad, but I vary the vinegar because I like rice vinegar, and also balsamic vinegar, plus TJ’s makes a white balsamic that is really good too. I also like to add dijon mustard to my salad dressing, it makes it thicker and emulsified, plus adds a wonderful taste. And I also like to add drizzle of honey on my arugula, I like the touch of sweetness with the more peppery greens.
And there is one recipe we all love here at home, even Matheus and my husband got hooked on the salad dressing recipe by Angela, from oh she glows blog. Take a look Heather, it is so easy to make and super delicious: http://ohsheglows.com/2010/03/13/a-salad-confessional/
I have made it with both regular balsamic and white balsamic too and I love the white balsamic for that, especially when I don’t want the dressing to “tint” my salad. During the summer I used to double the recipe, just measured the ingredients and put all in an empty nut butter jar and then shake. Easy and you have salad dressing that will last you the entire week!

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Ana,
I think your mom and your grandmother did it up right! :) Thanks for the link to Angela’s recipe – I’ll definitely check it out. Hope you and the fam. are having a good weekend. :)

Kelly October 23, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Man, those cookies look great! I can’t wait for that recipe! As for salad dressings…I am usually good with balsamic vinegar…my favorite is Oliver from Williams and Sanoma! SO GOOD!

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast October 23, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Lately I’ve been simply using an organic aged balsamic vinegar with olive oil and a little garlic herb grape seed oil. I used to always get italian as a kid. Recently I ordered a grilled veggie platter from a local restaurant with a “blue cheese dressing” that was very unique. It was more like a balsamic with real blue cheese crumbles in it. I’ll have to recreate it. Veeeery good.

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Emily,
Yeah, that sounds veeeery good. ;) I love big chunks of blue cheese!

Kiran October 23, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I like my salad minus the dressing usually. If not, just a squeeze of lemon, dash of pepper and some olive oil works well.

Bless Lauren, her son and their family.

Gina October 23, 2010 at 6:19 pm

My absolute favorite salad dressing is as follows: the zest of 1/2 a lemon, juice of said lemon, equal amount (or maybe a little more) of really good olive oil, celtic sea salt, and LOTS of fresh chopped dill. It is the most delicious, fresh tasting salad dressing you ever had!

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Gina,
I will have to try it as I love dill. Sound delicious! :)

Gina October 24, 2010 at 8:39 am

When I say lots of dill, I really means lots! What I usually do is sprinkle a big handful on top of the salad, and then whisk the rest in the dressing. I forgot to mention to let the dressing ingredients sit and blend together for about 15 minutes, before tossing it in with the salad. The quantities above will cover two large heads of green leaf lettuce. Oh and if you’d like add a sliced up avocado and/or a little sliced roasted chicken to the salad – yum!!

HEAB October 24, 2010 at 10:37 am

Gina,
Oooh, that does sound yum. Adding dill to my grocery list right now…and chicken + avocado. :)

S @ extremebalance.net/blog October 23, 2010 at 6:29 pm

My feeling on foods of blue (besides blueberries) is, that’s when they should be chucked. :) As for salad dressing, I like to ride the acid hard: dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, cracked black pepper and a bit of EVOO to tie it together. Ooh. Now I’m hungry.

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 10:07 pm

S,
You make me laugh. :)

Kat October 23, 2010 at 7:36 pm

i’ve been afraid of mayo for as long as i can remember, lol, and ranch and blue cheese always… made me think of it ;) i have always been a homemade dressing sorta girl – so fun to make!
coconut ice cream is awesome! so is the good karma (especially carrot cake and mississippi mud pie! GF, vegan, etc… so yummy)

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Kat,
I’ve never had Good Karma ice-cream. I’ve seen it but never bought it. I think I need to remedy that soon as the Carrot Cake sounds amazing!

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher October 23, 2010 at 8:08 pm

but pregnant women shouldn’t be allowed grocery rules?!
;)
love the belly!

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Alexa,
I agree! :)

Ling October 23, 2010 at 8:24 pm

So Luluelemon’s finally came to Nashville? Where?

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Ling,
It’s actually been here since last year – but it wasn’t a full store. They had a small studio space on the 2nd floor of the Hill Center, but they now have a full sized store across from Whole Foods – where Swoozie’s used to be. The new space looks great!

Ling October 24, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Thanks for the info, Heather! I’ll go check it out sometime. :-)
I know you like Libby’s pumpkin. I saw Wal-Mart selling 29oz for $2.5 and 15oz for $1.5. This may just be the cheapest in Nashville.

HEAB October 24, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Awesome – thanks Ling! :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 23, 2010 at 8:34 pm

That HEABified bacon cheeseburger looks delicious!!! I need to make that soon :D

A Taste of Tangy October 23, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I was never much of a salad eater growing up til I got to high school and worked at a small local restaurant. They made the ranch from the Hidden Valley packets with buttermilk and mayo–not gonna lie, I think I will always like that stuff! I think everything at that restaurant got drowned in that ranch sauce. Then I moved on to caesar. Not much better! I mostly avoid salads now because it seems like every dressing I like is sooo bad. I do like Annie’s Goddess dressing now on the rare occasions I get myself to choke down a salad! My leafy greens usually come in smoothie form :)

HEAB October 23, 2010 at 10:01 pm

A Taste of Tangy,
I’m sure most of us have enjoyed Hidden Valley Ranch…I know I used to do some major damage to it myself. ;)

Namaste Gurl October 24, 2010 at 12:19 am

I try to not use many store- bough salad dressings, but if I do, it’s definitely Annie’s Goddess Dressing or Annie’s Woodstock– what can I say, I’m tahini girl :) Another fav dressing would be a whole made lemon-tahini dressing at my local health food store, love it!

Man, your SOOOO making me want some of those Abby products!

A Teenage Gourmet October 24, 2010 at 7:44 am

I always make my own salad dressings too. I haven’t found a bottled one that can compare!

Halley (Blunder Construction) October 24, 2010 at 8:40 am

My favorite bottled dressings are by Briana, especially her poppy seed! I haven’t tried to make poppy seed dressing at home, but it is worth a shot. YUM!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 24, 2010 at 8:57 am

I love that you walked for a friend. We did that before and I still remember how great it felt to get together with other people for such a great cause. I love the dueling belly picture! You both wear pregnancy well!

As for dressing, I was always an Italian girl then ranch and now I love mustard!

HEAB October 24, 2010 at 10:40 am

Sarena,
Once you go mustard, you never go back. ;)

Brooke October 24, 2010 at 10:15 am

my favorite salad dressing is a homemade mixture of minced garlic, sea salt, pepper, lime juice and a few drops of liquid stevia. it’s awesome on a salad with chopped avocado!

wow, lululemon, whole foods and walking for a good cause…..sounds like a fantastic saturday!!

HEAB October 24, 2010 at 10:39 am

Brooke,
That does sound awesome. :)

Heather Stover October 24, 2010 at 11:52 am

I pretty much eat just ranch – well, light ranch. :)

Beth October 24, 2010 at 12:47 pm

My favorite salad dressing is Annies’s Light Gingerly. It is sooo good! I really should make my own though to save a little money :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 24, 2010 at 6:08 pm

That is so sweet you went out to support your friend’s son! I ran a 5K this summer for Down Syndrome Awareness. A little girl in my class last year has a sister with Down Syndrome, so I ran to support her! It was awesome.

Growing up I always loved ranch. However, now I crave honey mustard if anything. I usually make my own balsamic or use loads of hummus!

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly October 24, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Mmmm, absolutely ok to break the budget for Whole Foods. I had my first-ever experience with their salad bar today, and my first trip there in at least three years. Such a good afternoon, haha. Their coconut ice cream looked awesome!

HEAB October 25, 2010 at 8:36 am

Kristen,
Whole Foods salad bar = heaven. :)