Craving Pizza?

by HEAB on October 26, 2010

Yesterday, I had Italian food on the brain and whipped up some crispy pizza polenta cakes for lunch. These were super easy, but you do have to plan ahead a bit.

Pizza polenta cakes inspired by Tangy. Thanks Tangy! :)

To make, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. While the water heats up, stir together 1 and 1/4 cups cornmeal together with 1 cup water and then slowly add the cornmeal mixture to the boiling water. Allow the cornmeal to cook over low heat for about an hour, stirring occasionally. Allow to cool and then refrigerate for a couple of hours. I made the polenta right before yoga class and when I got back home, I simply threw it into my food processor along with some freshly chopped basil, sun dried tomatoes, and crumbled goat cheese. I then formed 10 little cakes and baked them in a 350℉ oven for 45 minutes and served with warm pizza sauce. Mmm, like little mini pizzas and just what I needed!

For dinner, I decided to use up some of the leftover pizza sauce and made a meatloaf of sorts…

I combined 1 pound grass-fed ground beef with 1 TBSP Italian seasonings, 2 tsp onion powder, pinch of salt, pinch of garlic powder, freshly chopped basil, and crumbled goat cheese. I then topped the whole thing with pizza sauce and baked it a shallow glass baking dish for 1 hour in a 350℉. It came out perfect. CD made the veggies and ended up adding the remainder of the pizza sauce to them at the last minute. Another lovely Italian infused meal.

Be back later with the winners of the Nutmeric Giveaway, and so you still have a few more hours to enter!

For all my local readers, please check out Blow Out for Books in support of my friend Kristin at the Green Pea Salon. Details below:

Some of you know that our stylist, Kristin Russell has been working on her first novel, RECOVERING RAMONA for the past few years. Kristin is going to self-publish the book, and we are very excited and want to support her in this endeavor. To raise money for pricey publishing expenses, we are doing BLOW OUTS FOR BOOKS, on SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 7, from 10-4.

It is a forty dollar suggested donation for the service, and all of the proceeds will go to the publication of RECOVERING RAMONA. Frothy Monkey will be providing coffee and muffins, and we will have some “adult brunch beverages” and other refreshments to celebrate the day.

There is a limited amount of space for this event, so please call and make your appointment today. Also, mark your calendar to fall back for daylight savings the night before!! We love our 12 South neighborhood, and want to support our unique artistic community (especially when it’s one of our Green Pea girls!). If you don’t need a blow out, feel free to stop by and say hey!

Green Pea Salon

615-297-6878

2900 12th Avenue South

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks October 26, 2010 at 9:25 am

Mmm, those polenta bites look delicious! I have a bag of polenta to use up, so you’ve got my wheels turning =)

melissa @ the delicate place October 26, 2010 at 9:27 am

i wish corn didn’t kill my stomach :( these look really good! however, the meat mixture looks like something i would whole heartedly support entering my belly!

HEAB October 26, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Melissa,
The meat version was good – I think your belly would like it. :)

Emily October 26, 2010 at 9:29 am

Hmmm polenta pizza…something I’ve never tried but looks awesome :) One of my culinary goals this week is to make my own foccacia bread for pizza dough :) Looks like we both have italian food on the brain!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 26, 2010 at 9:29 am

Those “pizza bites” are so cute. And I love your meatloaf too — sounds delicious.

Cindy October 26, 2010 at 9:38 am

I can’t wait to try those polenta cakes. you made them with squash last week and I just about died.

thanks always for such great creativity!

HEAB October 26, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Cindy,
Try the pizza polenta cakes – definitely my favorite thus far! :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 26, 2010 at 9:40 am

as soon as i saw the title it was a resounding “YES!” in my head! these look amazing…and sound like a must-make!

Steph - VegFortWorth October 26, 2010 at 9:43 am

Yum yum yum!!!! Those polenta cakes look perfect and yummy! I think I could eat a lot of those.

I made the Cornbacha Cakes last week with pumpkin, and they were so good! I even got some red pepper jelly to put on them! So perfect!

HEAB October 26, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Steph,
If you liked the corbocha cakes, then I think you will love the Italian version!
P.S. Making red pepper jelly meatballs for dinner tonight. So excited. :)

Dorry October 26, 2010 at 9:56 am

Italian food has been dominating my tastebuds lately! I used to always reach for the jar of salsa but now I’m sure to have tomato/pasta sauce as well. I LOVE basil. Mmmm.

HEAB October 26, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Dorry,
Me too – definitely my favorite fresh herb!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 26, 2010 at 10:06 am

That is what Tony wanted me to do with them next! He asked if I would put sausage and cheese in them. I am posting the butternut squash ones today. They go great in chili too! YUM! Oh I have pizza on the brain today…now you made it worse!

Sami October 26, 2010 at 10:07 am

don’t you love being a blogger? i mean, where else could you find such inspiring meals!? paula deen has NOTHIN on us healthy living bloggers :D

polenta pizza = YUMMMMM.

i would totally be part of the salon deal if i were closer! <3

HEAB October 26, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Sami,
Agreed – such an amazing community and so inspiring. Love my fellow bloggers. :)

Erica October 26, 2010 at 10:09 am

The pizza bites look fabulous! What a great idea. I love anything that reminds me of pizza ;) Hoping you have a nice day

Caitlin (EatFeats) October 26, 2010 at 10:10 am

Yes I HAVE been craving pizza! I sometimes have polenta on hand, but always end up eating it with just tomato sauce. This sounds way more interesting!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg October 26, 2010 at 10:11 am

Mmmm…I love polenta in any form! These look so delicious and crispy!

Sylvia @ LifeisGoodwithFood October 26, 2010 at 10:15 am

Omigosh, I loveee the idea of healthy pizza! You always got me drooling over the food, Heather ;)

You can now subscribe to receive my daily posts via email! Hehe. :)

Katie October 26, 2010 at 10:21 am

Its funny I used to hate meatloaf growing up. Now I can’t get enough. My mom used to make these things called pizza burgers. They were pretty much pizza sauce, crumbled meatloaf and cheese on half a hamburger bun broiled. This post made me think of them for some reason. :)

HEAB October 26, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Katie,
I’m the same way – HATED meatloaf growing up or anything involving tomato sauce for that matter. However, always loved pizza which doesn’t make much sense…but I guess cheese makes everything betta! ;)

lindsay (goodiesgalore October 26, 2010 at 10:34 am

wow oh wow, that looks amazing!! you know you’ve hit the jackpot when a healthy meals looks unhealthy.

HEAB October 26, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Lindsay
Hehe, good observation. :)

Shelby October 26, 2010 at 10:37 am

Mmm, I just found some polenta in my cabinent! I know what I’ll be making!

Emily October 26, 2010 at 11:00 am

I just started cooking polenta and love the new recipe idea. :) Thanks!

HEAB October 26, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Emily,
You’re welcome. Enjoy! :)

Abigail @ Good to Think and Eat October 26, 2010 at 11:04 am

My favorite breakfast growing up was my mom’s rendition of polenta cakes: leftover polenta (usually just yellow corn grits and water) chilled overnight and then somehow freed from the container, sliced, fried in butter, and dowsed in maple syrup. Oh my god I have to make that now.

I really like the idea of a savory polenta cake. For some reason I’ve never tried that. I love any vehicle for tomato sauce.

HEAB October 26, 2010 at 1:22 pm

“leftover polenta (usually just yellow corn grits and water) chilled overnight and then somehow freed from the container, sliced, fried in butter, and dowsed in maple syrup. Oh my god I have to make that now”…um yeah, me too! ;)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) October 26, 2010 at 11:07 am

What a fun and healthy pizza idea! Love it!

Susannah October 26, 2010 at 11:34 am

What a great idea for pizza polenta cakes! I usually buy the premade polenta tubes and slice them, then layer in a casserole dish with sauce, spinach, cheese, etc., but it’s hard to eat. Not quite a finger food! So yours look much easier (and more fun!) to eat. Can’t wait to make them!! :)

HEAB October 26, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Susannah,
They were really good. Between CD and myself, we finished off the entire batch at lunch. I hope you like them!

S @ extremebalance.net/blog October 26, 2010 at 11:44 am

In my world, a better Q would be “NOT craving pizza?” since I really *can’t* think of any of life’s problems that a stunning pizza wouldn’t make more bearable. Always excited for new pizza possibilities—and you know what? I think I’ll miss the pregnancy cravings when they’re over. I hope that you have fun nursing cravings too! ;)

HEAB October 26, 2010 at 1:24 pm

S,
I’ve heard my nursing appetite will be out of control – so, I hope you can expect crazy cravings for at least another year! ;)

Holly October 26, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Hi Heather,
Thanks so much for your interest in my Morning Mummies! I finally made a how-to page, if you’re interested. It’s here:
Hope you don’t mind me following up.
Your website is adorable, and I’ll definitely be checking back in!
All the best,
Holly

HEAB October 26, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Holly,
Thanks so much. Those mummies were adorable. Can’t wait to read exactly how you made them. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 26, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I love how you promote local great causes and stuff going on around you that’s important…that’s so nice! And I recently got a Brazilian Blowout done, and later today am posting my update, as in right after i leave you this comment :) I love it though! That way I don’t need to spend so much time doing a blowout, flatiron, etc if I want my hair sleek! It pretty much just air dries this way…much improvement from my wavy nest :)

Anyway tho….homemade pizza, yummers!

Got your email and will chat with ya in a few…need to get my bloggie post up!

HEAB October 26, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Averie,
So jealous of your Brazilian blow out. I almost bought a Groupon coupon for one, but the salon said I would still have to pay on top of the discounted rate because I have so much hair. So pricey, but soooo tempting. I love my hair straight, and it takes way too much time and effort to do it myself!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 26, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Those polenta pizzas looks delicious!!

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe October 26, 2010 at 2:15 pm

This recipe looks awesome! And my husband loves polenta. He would be thrilled if I made this. Thanks for the recipe:)

I hope the event goes well. So cool that your friend is self-publishing her own book.

HEAB October 26, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Candice,
You’re welcome. Hope both you and the husband enjoy! :)

Kristina @ spabettie October 26, 2010 at 2:20 pm

simply genius… I LOVE pizza flavor – this is a GREAT way to get it !!

HEAB October 26, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Kristina,
My sentiments exactly. :)

eml October 26, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I like to think this post is just for me – because spaghetti sauce is like my 2nd name! Add meat and veggies – and it’s golden! :)

Alyssa October 26, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Those polenta cakes look awesome!

Tangy @ A Taste of Tangy October 26, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Oh Oh Oh!!! I’m just now seeing this! Glad you liked it!! I could eat pizza every day, in one form or another!!

HEAB October 26, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Tangy,
Definitely my best cornmeal creation yet – thanks so much for the inspiration. Also, I’m so sorry – but I didn’t realize you had a blog. I will go back and link your URL to your name in this post…right now! :)

Tangy @ A Taste of Tangy October 27, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Oh wow thanks! I was just so excited for the shout-out!! People who I know through the workout group I help moderate on Cafemom who I didn’t know read your blog were like–is that YOU, Tangy?! I think I’m the only one :) But thanks again!

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Tangy,
That’s too funny, but yep, I think your the only Tangy I’ve ever met. Thanks again for the recipe. From what I gather, it’s made a lot of people (myself included) very happy, and again, congrats on the birth of your nephew! :)

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast October 26, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Those pizza polenta cakes look delicious! I want to reach into the screen and pluck one out! I love that you come up with healthy alternatives to satisfy cravings. When I was pregnant, I’m afraid I did not do so well. I will take all of this and use it as inspiration for my second one!

HEAB October 26, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Emily,
Trust me, there have been many UNhealthy alternatives consumed as well. I just don’t post them all. ;)

melissa@the hungry artist October 26, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Mmmm, those polenta cakes look SO good .What a great idea. Would love to try it next time I make polenta and have leftovers!! Thanks for posting!

HEAB October 26, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Melissa,
You’re welcome. Enjoy! :)

Namaste Gurl October 27, 2010 at 12:00 am

Yum– looks indeed yummy, as per usual!

Love you, Heather– Have a good day tomorrow :)

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 8:07 am

Thanks Namaste Gurl. Love you too. :)

monicanelsonfitness October 27, 2010 at 12:01 am

Now that is a meal. I love polenta, thanks for reminding me to get some. I have not cooked with it in a looooong time. :) Really yummy meals as usual HEAB!

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast October 27, 2010 at 5:08 am

Haha, well good, glad to know you’re human! The health coach I work with says to follow the 90-10 rule. 90% of the time you eat healthy and maintain a healthy lifestyle and 10% of the time you let go a little. Sounds like you do that well!

{ 2 trackbacks }