CD & The Ladies

by HEAB on October 27, 2010

Last night, I had 2 girlfriends over for dinner. CD skipped out on watching the NBA opening night to help cook and dine with us. Isn’t he a good hubby? Of course, we do have DVR. ;)

Myself, Jill (best banana bread baker ever), Amy, and our dog Einstein. Look Sam, I’m wearing the yoga pants you sent me. Love them!

I had my prenatal yoga class last night, and I wanted to get most of dinner made ahead of time. So, I got a double batch of red pepper jelly meatballs in the crock-pot early in the afternoon, and CD made his mustard stir-fry veggies while I was at yoga class…

CD’s veggies were a hit as always. I mean, can you really go wrong with butter, bacon, and mustard? I think not.

I also got dessert made before heading to class using this…

Abby’s Table Nude Pudding

Yes, it had a Do Not Eat post-it note on it all week because I was saving it for last night. Hehe – sometimes, somebody in our house gets the late night munchies. ;) The ingredients of the pudding are: Organic Avocado, Organic Coconut Water, Organic Grade B Maple Syrup, Organic Raw Coconut Butter, Raw Cacao Powder, Organic Pure Vanilla Extract, Sea Salt, Spices. It’s so good and worked great as a pie filling.

I used my almond flour coconut pie crust and topped the pie with unsweetened toasted coconut. We served it with vanilla ice-cream.

After our guests left, CD and I both enjoyed seconds of dessert. Couldn’t help ourselves!

Another great evening with friends. OK, so fess up – Do ever you hide or label food that’s off limits? :)

Jessica @ How Sweet October 27, 2010 at 8:39 am

I really don’t have to because if it isn’t chicken or steak, my husband barely goes near it. Sometimes I need to with chocolate chip cookies. :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 27, 2010 at 8:42 am

I sometimes label foods in the fridge — like if I buy beef that 1/2 is meant for chili and 1/2 is meant for tacos. I just need the reminder to not use ALL the beef for the first meal. Know what I mean?

Other than that I try not to buy too many foods ahead of time — that way they don’t sit in my kitchen tempting me!

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Holly,
The notes aren’t for me…they’re to keep CD away. Hehe. :)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free October 27, 2010 at 8:44 am

Yum! YUm! That Pie looks so good!

I never really label foods…It is a good idea, though ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 27, 2010 at 8:47 am

Sounds like a great evening with great friends and great food! I do not label things off limits, but I do make announcements to all that if they eat it…heads will roll. The pie looks so good! I need to check out that almond pie crust. Is it like regular pie dough or like a graham cracker crust in texture? Have a great day Heather!

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Sarena,
Definitely not doughy like regular pie crust. More like a graham cracker crust in texture. Kind of crumbly, but really good!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 27, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I prefer graham cracker crust, so perfect! Thanks HEAB!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) October 27, 2010 at 8:49 am

I have some chocolate for a friend that I had to put in the back of my linen closet. I live alone, so I have nobody else to blame :) . And avacado-based pudding – yeah, I’d have to hide that from myself, too. Looks like you put together a delicious and healthy pie. Brilliant!

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Victoria,
Your chocolate is on its way! Hope you like. :)

Victoria (District Chocoholic) October 27, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I’m sure I will not just like, but LOVE, it. I won’t have to hide it behind my towels because I don’t have to share if I don’t want to (right?).

Erin October 27, 2010 at 8:49 am

I put certain things (like the massive bag of chocolate chips from Costco) on the very top shelf of the pantry and on the very back of that shelf. I have to use a step stool to gain access to them!

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood October 27, 2010 at 8:52 am

I remember that my boyfriend would always stick a Post-It note onto his sodas when he was living with suitemates and using the main fridge. The note always read: “Property of HN! DO NOT DRINK/EAT!” And then I did that to him once when he came over to my room and saw my note; he was like, “Honey! Why is there a Post-It note on your ice cream?!” Lol, :)

kathleen October 27, 2010 at 8:58 am

ha. the “do not eat” post it is pretty funny. although because it said “do not eat” i would have been craving it all week.

Halley (Blunder Construction) October 27, 2010 at 8:58 am

Is that Post-it a reminder for yourself or your husband??? ;) The only restraint tactics I use with food are to stop myself from eating too much. If I can’t stop myself from eating chocolates, baked goods, candy, etc., I will put the goods in the freezer & give myself a time-out. Eating hard, frozen jelly beans is just not the same! Those red pepper jelly meatballs would make my boyfriend cry with joy! Looks like a lovely evening.

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Halley – the note was for CD. :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 27, 2010 at 9:01 am

ok that is AWESOME/hilarious that you have a post-it on that for your hubby! you guys are so cute :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 27, 2010 at 9:04 am

Mmmm… that pie looks delicious! Especially with the toasted coconut on top.

Beth @ DiningAndDishing October 27, 2010 at 9:18 am

We rarely had goodies in the house when I was growing up but when we did my mum would ALWAYS hide them!! She knew that if they were out we’d eat them as fast as we could. But her plan rarely worked since we got pretty talented at figuring out her hiding spots :) .

Emily October 27, 2010 at 9:20 am

What a good Hubby CD is for helping out with the cooking and girls night :) I am following your instructions for homemade almond butter as I type this! very excited!!

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Emily,
Let me know how your homemade almond butter goes!

Gaby October 27, 2010 at 9:26 am

red pepper jelly?? I must try this! I saw some in my friend’s fridge the other night (yes, I snoop in people’s refrigerators) I’ve also never thought to use mustard in a stir fry…you and CD are so creative! Although I think I would have skipped the bacon and meatballs and eaten all the dessert :)
I’m such a food hoarder, I’m really bad at sharing. Thankfully I live by myself but when I happen to have food at my parent’s or we’re traveling, i keep my own stash of snacks in a plastic bag because I’m afraid I’ll get hungry between meals or won’t have enough food. I’m a bit paranoid :X
It’s tougher to keep myself from eating things I want to last longer. Since I love baking so much but have learned from experience that I have zero control when there’s baked goods involved, I’ve figured out I have to cut it up into individual slices and freeze it. Otherwise I feel the need to eat the whole thing in one or two sittings and that never feels good.

ps. I never made the connection before, but I have a cockatiel named Einstein!

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Gaby,
Einstein is the best pet name ever. We love it, and it always get a smile out of people when we tell them our dog’s name. Red pepper jelly is really good – I tried a new one last night. It was the Braswell’s brand and available at my regular grocery store.

Steph - VegFortWorth October 27, 2010 at 9:31 am

I really need to make one of those mustard stir-fries some time! I get hungry every time I see one on your blog!

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Steph – yes you do. We love that stir-fry!

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie October 27, 2010 at 9:31 am

Hmm. I’ve never made desserts for events (usually I buy them), in which case if I want to save them for the event my Big Trick is to just buy them right before the event.

Once, Ryan and I brought home two slices of chocolate mousse cake from his parents’ place. It was much better than normal chocolate mousse cake. I immediately ate my slice. He kept his in the fridge for 3 days. Every morning and evening, I asked him if I could just eat his slice before it went bad. I can’t stand the idea of delicious cake going bad. Eventually, after 3 days, he gave in. It was still delicious, but not as moist as it had been two days previously.

There is a lesson in there somewhere, I am just not sure what it is.

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Alina,
Lesson: Ignore Ryan, and eat the cake the next morning for breakfast – when it’s at its peak moistness. :)

Natalia - a side of simple October 27, 2010 at 9:31 am

I need to make CD’s stir fry asap! And I always have to hide my food at home. With 2 brothers (ages 16 and 20!) and 2 sisters, the kitchen and the pantry are a warzone. It’s do or die ;)

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Natalia,
Make it – and share with your siblings. Then keep dessert all to yourself. :)

Tulika October 27, 2010 at 9:42 am

That pie looks absolutely (coconutty) delicious! As for the post-it….if it was for yourself, that is a genius idea which I may have to steal :) Sometimes I simply cannot stop myself from eating certain goodies in the fridge (namely chocolate)!!

Tangy @ A Taste of Tangy October 27, 2010 at 9:43 am

That dessert looks delish! I have to hide Nutella from myself…out of sight, out of mind usually works for me and if I have that yummy stuff taunting me every time I open the cabinet, I am not accountable for my actions :P

I do have to hide food from my husband occasionally. He will eat something yummy til it is gone, so as long as there is at least one object in front of it, he won’t find it! lol

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Tangy,
Yes! I’ve discovered husbands don’t search very deep within the cabinets. One item is about all it takes. ;)

Clairerose C October 27, 2010 at 9:47 am

I want PIE!!:-)cc

Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com October 27, 2010 at 9:56 am

That pudding looks terrific! I could go for some right now.

I haven’t had to lable food in years…not since my bratty kid sister used to gobble up my leftovers! haha.

Lindsey @ Enjoying Healthy Foods October 27, 2010 at 9:59 am

The pepper jelly meatballs look amazing and the dessert… I want to make some NOW! :)

Anita October 27, 2010 at 10:01 am

The good thing about eating healthy is that most people you live with have no interest in “sampling” your food. However, when I bake cookies or brownies for work a big “Do not touch sighn” defeiently goes on it.

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Anita,
I’m so grateful that CD eats healthy…until he gobbles up all the “healthy” chocolate coconut butter. ;)

Little Bookworm October 27, 2010 at 10:07 am

Sounds like a lovely evening, and the pie looks amazing! That nude pudding sounds great as well! Hope you have a great day! :)

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 1:31 pm

You too LB :)

Katie October 27, 2010 at 10:15 am

I live by myself, so I don’t have to do that, but sometimes I do forget….

Pudding pie…drooling over here.

Kristina @ spabettie October 27, 2010 at 10:31 am

I’ll put things in a special area and also tell Jason it’s off limits for something specific.

Everything looks fabulous, and I’m happy to see the mustard being used again!! ;)

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Kristina,
I know! We’ve been neglecting the French’s container. I was happy to see it back in our lives as well. :)

Mallory October 27, 2010 at 10:44 am

looks divine! mmkay i have a question, my birthday is monday followed by my moms on tuesday and i want to make some sort of brownie/cupcake sorta thing… which recipe should i go with im searching through lookin but thought i would just ask :)

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Mallory, I really love butternut squash or pumpkin brownies, and they are great served with ice-cream. I once used them to make a layered ice-cream cake: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/07/02/the-gender-cake/. However, they are not for everyone. If you’re looking for more of a traditional cupcake recipe, Jenna’s buttermilk chocolate cupcakes look amazing, and I’ve been dying to make them: http://eatliverun.com/buttermilk-chocolate-cupcakes/. Hope this helps a happy early birthday to you and your mom! :)

caronae October 27, 2010 at 10:49 am

Your pie creation looks amazing!

I live by myself and am cooking for myself 99% of the time. If I don’t want something I just don’t buy it, plain and simple. I am cooking for USB (the boyfriend) more and more, but he’ll eat anything (as most men will!) and doesn’t give a hoot about what is or isn’t in my fridge or pantry. If there is something that I know I won’t be able to control myself around, I try not to keep it around. It’s pretty easy to remember what food is meant for specific dishes or recipes when there is only one person’s food to keep track of!

S @ extremebalance.net/blog October 27, 2010 at 11:02 am

I get so busy at work sometimes that my brain gets full and I become really absent-minded—I leave myself notes both to remember to *eat* things AND *not* to eat things, when I have other plans for a particular ingredient…

Meatballs rock!

Clare @ Fitting It All In October 27, 2010 at 11:19 am

I actually label foods saying “PLEASE EAT!” My parents rarely eat anything in the fridge…besides some yogurt and granola that my mom has. So sometimes when I cook and have leftovers I have to beg people to eat them!!

Alyssa October 27, 2010 at 11:19 am

With 2 walking stomachs-er-children in the house, I often have to hide things. Especially stuff that’s meant for a party, because my hollow-legged offspring will devour it if I don’t hide it.

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger October 27, 2010 at 11:32 am

Yumm-O! that pudding looks deeee-lish! I love all the ingredients…avocado cocoa and coconut–genius!

I haven’t put labels on my food, but Hubbs knows the drill. Since I practically eat the same menu day in and day out, Hubbs knows not to “wake the sleeping bear” and eat any of my comp staples. That being said, he doesn’t find my diet too appealing (rightly so), so I don’t think there is temptation there. However, if I made your pudding dish, I’d probably rig an alarm to go off if he tried to eat it HEHE;)

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Talia,
I never thought about an alarm system. Hehe, I’ll have to remember that one for my next pie. :)

Heather M. October 27, 2010 at 11:45 am

Ha! Yes I do!! I pack my lunch the night before and the hubby likes to eat it for a midnight snack if it’s not hidden. I’ve learned to keep it where he can’t find it if I don’t want to pack another one!!

I also wanted to tell you I love your blog!! I live in Nashville too and have been reading for a while. I love all the recipes you post!!

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Heather M,
That’s hilarious that your husband will eat your lunch as a late night snack. Yeah, I don’t think I’d be very happy if I woke up and had to make a 2nd lunch. So fun you’re in Nashville as I love hearing from local readers. Thanks so much for reading! :)

Heather M October 27, 2010 at 5:16 pm

You’re welcome!! No it doesn’t go over very well when I wake up to find my lunch is gone :)

Namaste Gurl October 27, 2010 at 11:47 am

Um…. YES. That’s a no- brainer, considering most of the food I buy is top-quality and expensive. When I find something gone, such as half an avocado or the rest of the almond butter (or WORSE, the almond butter jar is gone, so no OIAJ!), I get very, very angry. You don’t want to see an angry Em :)

Your coconut cream pie looks to DIE for– wish I could come over for dinner!

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Namaste Gurl,
CD has been trained to never eat the last few bites of nut butter from a jar. Took a while, but he got it. :)

Meagan October 27, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Oh HEAB you are so funny!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 27, 2010 at 11:50 am

I am ALWAYS hiding food or putting labels on them! I used to have to more when I lived with my parents and brother though!

melissa @ the delicate place October 27, 2010 at 12:21 pm

omg that dessert …i want it. in my belly now! i love that you wrote do not eat on that. sometimes i think i should do the same haha

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 27, 2010 at 12:37 pm

That’s too funny about labeling stuff. Scott pretty much knows that if something looks expensive or exotic, he better not touch it! lol.

He can have all the mainstream food, I don’t care about that. I can re-buy that. But the couple pieces of raw choc truffles or something I kinda slaved over in the kitch, he knows to ask first. 12 yrs later…he’s well trained!

I have a raw choc pie recipe. I think I told you about it b/c you posted a choc pie and the next day I re-linked an oldie recipe of mine…anyway, seeing the pics of your glorious pie creation remind me of that one…and to make it again!

You look awesome…I can’t believe you’re so close!!!!

Namaste Gurl October 27, 2010 at 12:46 pm

By the way, I think you’ll like my mushroom- coconut soup on my blog…. then again, we are coconut buddies :) XO

Tabitha October 27, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I love the way you eat. Ah girls nights are great fun, it’s been so long since I’ve had one.

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Thanks Tabitha – I do too. :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) October 27, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Ok I’m a little embarrassed to admit it, but in college I was totally the pantry/fridge nazi, but all in the name of survival! Senior year I was in a house of 6 girls, a couple of whom were…ahem…well, stoners, and over time I learned that in order to protect our individual food purchases, not only did we need to divide our edible belongings by shelf, but I needed to also write DIANA in sharpie on every. single. item that was mine. I’m like a mama bear around my supplies–don’t mess with me.

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Diana,
It’s so funny because one of my roommate’s used to label all her food, and I thought she was kind of crazy. I’m now that girl. No shame – one has to protect her supplies at all times! :)

Robin October 27, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I either hide treats or specifically tell my husband he is to go nowhere near them. When I bake I actually portion out what he is allowed to eat, or he would eat the entire thing after I go to bed…I call him my little emotional eater. Disclaimer: he is very athletic with a ridiculous metabolism, it’s not fair!

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Robin,
I hear ya – so not fair!

Krystina (Organically Me) October 27, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Avocado pudding is so good :D

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) October 27, 2010 at 4:02 pm

I confess: I sometimes hide things that I want to eat. My mom has a terrible habit of picking the good parts off of food (chips out of cookies, cheese off of lasagna, etc.), so I hide leftovers that I’d like to remain whole, LOL.

That pie looks SO good!!

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Jenn,
Haha – CD is like your mom – a total cherry picker! Picks all the good stuff out of the trail mix and the chocolate chips out of the banana bread was his latest little trick. ;)

Annie@stronghealthyfit October 27, 2010 at 4:10 pm

That dessert looks unbelievable.
Sometimes I try to hide food or special ingredients (i.e chocolate) that I’m saving for a specific occasion or recipe. It usually works ;-)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 27, 2010 at 4:21 pm

hahaha I need to use the Do Not Eat sticker idea :P I always end up eating stuff when I don’t *really* want it and then miss it when I do.

Jill October 27, 2010 at 4:25 pm

EVERYONE in my family labels stuff. It’s kind of out of control! But I became much more vigilant about labeling after someone finished an ENTIRE JAR of my Nutella. LOL. The excuse was that they’d “never had it and just didn’t realize how good it was.” Speaking of which-the Justin’s was soooooo good! Apparently they sell that kind of Justin’s (as well as the maple almond butter) at Kroger now-I have a sample pack of the almond and think I might be addicted!

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Jill,
I didn’t know Kroger sold Justin’s! I wonder how the price compares to Whole Foods. Honestly, his chocolate almond butter is one of the best nut butters out there. Definitely my favorite. CD prefers the hazelnut, which I like b/c it reminds of Nutella, but the chocolate almond butter? Can’t even put it into words, and I just finished off our jar a few nights ago. Sadness. :(

Jill October 27, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Think I noticed that the choc. hazelnut was $9.99. The sample packs were 99 cents. There must be gold in them :-)

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 8:51 am

Jill,
Yeah, I think that’s about the same as Whole Foods. Was hoping it would be a bit cheaper at Kroger. :(

Lorne October 27, 2010 at 5:12 pm

The thought to label stuff in the fridge or cupboard had never occured to me – what a fab idea, especially if there are many hungry tummies in the house.

Growing up my mum had a ‘you know you are not allowed to eat the stuff in this cupboard’ cupboard…..

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Lorne,
Oh my gosh, labels are key! Couldn’t live without my post-its. :)

e m l October 27, 2010 at 5:38 pm

That pie looks so good! Love the coconut combo with the chocolate!

I’ve recently been sauteeing my veggies in coconut oil – and it’s the BOMB! ;) (I’m so gangsta’ haha :) ). So thanks for spreading the coconut love. It’s then followed up by mustard and sauce of course…somewhere under there lies veggies I swear!!

Virginia @ YtotheUmmy October 27, 2010 at 5:58 pm

oh yes–definitely. i have three hangry brothers, it’s every man for himself!

A Teenage Gourmet October 27, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Heather, I applied to Vanderbilt today! I’m doing regular decisions, so I won’t know if I’m accepted until APRIL. . . I’ll let you know when my letter arrives. :) Thank you again for adding to my awesome Nashville experience.

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Sami,
April? That’s torture – well, at least it gives you plenty of time to decide, and yes, please keep me posted. Hope to see you here next fall, but again, all the schools you’re looking at are wonderful, and I don’t think you could go wrong with any of them. You’ll end up where you’re meant to be – I have no doubt. :)

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast October 27, 2010 at 6:44 pm

I’ve actually hid things from myself before… Its so hard to resist having cake for breakfast (and lunch and dinner) if its right there smiling at you when you open the fridge!

HEAB October 27, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Emily,
Whenever we have ice-cream cake for some occasion, I’ll ALWAYS eat a big piece the next day for breakfast, sometimes smooshed into a bowl of oat bran. :)

Pure2raw twins October 27, 2010 at 7:40 pm

oh yes I have a basket full of goodies that I put away so I do not eat it…haha

Nude pudding sounds great ; )

BroccoliHut October 27, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Hm I don’t hide or label food, but I am thinking I should after a certain incident involving Seth and a PB Larabar a few weeks ago…

Nicole October 27, 2010 at 8:20 pm

LOL I loved your post it. I don’t need to do that because Dennis and I have very different tastes in food. Usually when I make something “special” it’s something he more than likely won’t eat. When we have kids, I’m sure that will change :)
PS yes, CD is a good hubby. Even with DVR, I’m pretty sure Dennis wouldn’t have missed out on his Celtics on opening night. However, I wouldn’t do it either…lol (ok yes we would, but I’m sure extra favors would be owed…)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com October 27, 2010 at 8:46 pm

ur delicious crack-cao pie!! thats similar to the other one you made right? this one is more coconutty tho <3
haha the first thing i thought when i saw the Nude Pudding was, "Do not eat! … unless nude" ;) lol

mmmm Heather, mustard+"meatballs"+veggies = fantastic!! i remember when i got hooked on mustard because of you. it was probably soon after u got hooked ;) it just goes good with (almost) EVERYTHING! :D

xoxo

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 8:50 am

Kelsey,
Yes, the pies were similar, but the other one I made was a lot less sweet as the filling was basically just dark chocolate and coconut milk. I preferred that one, but the Nude Pudding was really good. And, so happy to have spread the mustard love. :)

judy October 27, 2010 at 9:05 pm

too many excuses can be made with labels e.g. “i didn’t see it” or “oh it must’ve fallen off!”. i just hide it. =P

btw that pie looks divine!

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 8:48 am

Judy,
Yeah, but CD knows about most of my hiding places now, or he just asks where I’ve put whatever it is he is looking for. Labels seem to work better. :)

Bridget October 27, 2010 at 10:18 pm

I tend not to put post it notes on food because that seems to just remind me that it’s there and that I can’t eat it. Usually if I just leave it and i’ll forget about until it’s time to use it.

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly October 27, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Does hiding food from myself count? ;-) I definitely went through a “mom, no joke, please hide the peanut butter and don’t bring it out in front of me” phase a few months ago. I would’ve appreciated if she kept it up a little longer! It’s just sliiiightly more difficult to justify nut butter feasts with a jar that’s $10 more expensive than Jif. Haha.

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 8:46 am

Kristen,
I know – I swear that is what keeps me out of most of the nut butter jars. I definitely take my time with those $10 jars of Justin’s chocolate almond butter. A) I never want them to end and B) $10?!? That’s a lot of money!

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe October 27, 2010 at 11:03 pm

That dessert looks sooo good!

I don’t really ever have to label anything. I don’t think I ever buy anything enough in advance to warrant labeling. I’m always running to the store the day of to get whatever I want to make. Bad habit!

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 8:45 am

Candice, I used to do that all the time, especially during my first trimester as I had never knew what I would want to eat on any given day. Let’s just say, our food bill was not pretty as I usually went to the store for one thing in particular and then would come home with 3 different pints of non-dairy ice-cream. ;)

Jen October 27, 2010 at 11:28 pm

I never label, but I do hide stuff. I use to do it when I lived with more people so they wouldn’t eat it, but I still do it now living alone. I don’t know why because I always remember where the stuff is. Although I guess I’m less likely to reach for the candy when it’s hidden in a cabinet that I never use.

Kiran October 27, 2010 at 11:54 pm

I love desserts and those are looking delish :D

Meagan October 28, 2010 at 12:08 am

I looked more extensively at the abby’s table website and I am impressed. I would love to try their products… but looks like they only sell in OR?

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 8:43 am

Meagan,
Yes, but you can order online. Delicious stuff!

Erika Bryant October 28, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Always. I have 4 kids. Two of which are 14 and 17. They devour food. I have my own cabinet with my gluten free snacks and food in it, but sometimes they still get into it. They get so upset that I am with holding yummies from them, but you know how expensive this stuff is. It’s not like I don’t make stuff for them. It’s my off limits cabinet. I don’t feel so bad now!

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Erika,
I don’t blame you – gluten free snacks are NOT cheap! Label away my friend.

Melissa @ I Never Imagined October 28, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I definitely don’t have to hide or label my food! Toby owns the chips and salsa, I own everything else. He doesn’t touch my food, I don’t touch his! Nothing worth saving (i.e., anything sweet) ever lasts more than 1 day anyway… I always eat it all up, just in case :)

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 8:20 am

Melissa,
Tony and I might have a few battles as tortilla chips are my favorite! ;)