Chocolate Coconut Butter Revisited

by HEAB on October 28, 2010

Really, you guys have got to try making homemade chocolate coconut butter. It’s so easy, and it taste like chocolate heaven in a jar.

I finished off our last jar a few days ago and was dying for some more this morning. So, into the food processor went a bag of this:

and a bar of Teuscher’s 88% chocolate.

Victoria and I did a little chocolate exchange. She sent me two Teuscher’s chocolate bars, an 88% and a 99%. Oh my gosh, seriously, this is the smoothest chocolate I have ever eaten. If this stuff is available in your city, find it and purchase it ASAP. I promise you will love. Thanks again Victoria – Teuscher is my new favorite!

Next step: turn on food processor, and in about 6 minutes, I had this…

Didn’t even have to scrape down the sides of the machine. With some batches I do and others I don’t. Not sure why.

I got about 8 ounces of chocolate coconut butter out of this and poured it into a glass jar. It usually takes a few hours to harden, but if you want to speed up the process, refrigerate for a little while – doesn’t take very long – maybe 30 minutes? Otherwise, no refrigeration required.

However, CD came up with a brilliant snack idea. If you pour the chocolate coconut butter into an ice-cube tray and place in the fridge, you can make your own little HEABified version of Almond Joy candy bars! (Edited to Add – more like Mounds bars I guess, but if you add a little almond to the center, then you would have an Almond Joy. Thanks for the idea Monica!)

Now, what to do with the remaining chocolate coconut butter in the bottom of my food processor????

Hmmm, how about some OITFP?

Oats In The Food Processor. May not look too pretty, but it sure tasted good. :)

eml October 28, 2010 at 8:47 am

CD is genius! What a great idea.

OITFP?! Well – if your licking the bowl clean, be sure to take the blade out!

Did that bag of coconut and the 2 chocolates make a full jar of butter? It hardens on its own?

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:24 am

EML,
The 7 ounces of coconut + a 1.75 ounce chocolate bar yielded 8 ounces of chocolate coconut butter, and yes, it usually hardens on its own eventually. Honestly, it depends on the temp. of our kitchen. If it’s warm outside and AC is off, I usually just stick the butter in the fridge for a little while.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 28, 2010 at 8:47 am

Could you really go wrong with this? I think not! I have been loving on the chocolate hemp fudge with coconut too. I have to use up that hemp powder some how! I think the Oats In The Food Processor looks delicious! Ya gotta get all that chocolate out some how!

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:25 am

Sarena,
Nope, you can’t. :) Did you ever get the Manitoba samples?

Kiran October 28, 2010 at 8:51 am

Chocolate and coconut?? It’s like a match made in heavenly foods! Count me in :)

Christina @ ilovefetacheese October 28, 2010 at 8:54 am

Have I mentioned that I love you for this post?

I want to just pour that coconut butter in my mouth…NOM!!! Omg, it looks sooo good. =D

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:25 am

Christina,
Love you too. :)

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) October 28, 2010 at 8:55 am

awwwww…………how lucky you are to have CD give you that great idea for a mini almond joy! i’m sure the motivation for his suggestion was *purely* selfless ;)
what a great idea!
hope you’re feeling well! time’s getting closer, no? :) yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:26 am

Heather – yes! Only about 3 weeks to go…if she’s on time. I so hope she is – we’re so anxious to meet the little HEABlet!

Little Bookworm October 28, 2010 at 8:56 am

Great idea from CD putting the mixture in the freezer! Love the OITFP as well. :)

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:26 am

LB,
I know – I’m married to a genius. :)

Kath October 28, 2010 at 8:58 am

Haha love “OITFP”

Monica October 28, 2010 at 8:58 am

Hey Heather!

I’m a regular reader of your blog, but I rarely comment. BUT, today I was compelled to write you and say what a fantastic idea this is! Both the chocolate coconut butter AND the little Almond Joy! Did you put an almond in the center of that little nugget? OMG, drooling just thinking about it. :)

I so enjoy your blog and your creative food concoctions. Thanks for blogging!

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:27 am

Monica,
Thanks so much for reading, and no I did not put an almond in the center of the choc. coconut butter nugget, but that is a GREAT idea. So doing it next time. :)

Jessica @ How Sweet October 28, 2010 at 9:00 am

Umm… I am totally all over this.

AllieNic @ Frisky Lemon October 28, 2010 at 9:05 am

Ditto on the being allllllllll over this.

Natalia - a side of simple October 28, 2010 at 9:06 am

You and CD make a great team. The HEABlet doesn’t even know what’s coming!

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:28 am

Thanks Natalia – I think so too. :)

Tangy @ A Taste of Tangy October 28, 2010 at 9:13 am

Looks good, as usual!! I get a little taste of Almond Joy every day in my coffee–coconut milk and cocoa are great additions to just about anything :)

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:29 am

Tangy,
Agreed. You really can’t go wrong with that combo! :)

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger October 28, 2010 at 9:14 am

Stop right there! This is a “hold up”. Give me that all-natural HEABified Almond Joy and nobody gets hurt.

Heather for President! This looks so so yummy and easy and…and…it’s not in my fridge! What’s wrong with this picture:)

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:29 am

Talia,
You crack me up. November 20…less than a month away and then you can stock your fridge with Almond Joy nuggets!

Alina (Duty Free Foodie) October 28, 2010 at 9:14 am

You are a genius. And so is your husband. I don’t even know what else to say right now. Except that my grocery list is getting updated, stat.

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:30 am

Alina,
Enjoy! :)

Sami October 28, 2010 at 9:15 am

MMMM. homemade almond joysss! i need some unsweet coconut now!! <3

Ana October 28, 2010 at 9:16 am

I have been obsessed with coconut butter latey, really need to try making this! Do you think it would work on the vitamix Heather? I don’t have a food processor…

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:31 am

Ana,
Yep. Mae made some in her blender, and it’s not even a Vita: http://ohhmay.com/2010/03/13/homemade-cacao-bliss/

Victoria (District Chocoholic) October 28, 2010 at 9:17 am

So happy to see this chocolate thorougly enjoyed. And a truly brilliant answer to the conundrum of “why doesn’t Teuscher regularly stock anything with coconut?”

FYI, the Philadelphia store is pushing their pumpkin truffles :) .

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:33 am

Victoria,
Seriously – Teuscher = the best chocolate ever! Thank you so much!!!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) October 28, 2010 at 11:56 am

And you didn’t even get any of their truffles! If you ever get to a store in person, you will see what I mean, though many of their truffles are milk-chocolate based, so you’d have to seek out the dark ones.

Also, don’t know if you follow joythebaker.com at all, but she posted a recipe for Homemade Almond Joy this week (http://www.joythebaker.com/blog/2010/10/homemade-almond-joy/). Seems to be on everybody’s mind.

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Victoria,
Pumpkin truffles – I will have those someday! Oh, and I checked out Joy’s blog. She is hilarious, and her almond joys looked delicious!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) October 28, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Planning to experiment with a couple approaches this weekend, though mine won’t be as good as anything that comes out of the Teucher kitchens in Zurich.

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free October 28, 2010 at 9:17 am

Hey! I made some of this the other day, and put it in the fridge=instant chocolate chunks (with coconut)

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:33 am

Alex,
Great minds think alike, no? :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 28, 2010 at 9:19 am

I like CD’s Bounty bar idea!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 28, 2010 at 9:19 am

I mean Almond Joy

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:35 am

Samantha,
Pretty much the same thing right? Chocolate + coconut. So, “CD’s Bounty Bar” works too. :)

Marina October 28, 2010 at 9:23 am

I love having home made coconut butter, but it takes so long to make it in my food processor :(

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:35 am

Marina,
It’s weird. Sometimes, it takes up to 15 minutes, and I have to scrape and scrape. I think it depends on the coconut flakes.

Shauna October 28, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Looks yummy! I have better luck with the coconut butter if I warm the coconut up just a little bit in the oven before I process it. But my food processor will not get it as smooth as the Vita.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg October 28, 2010 at 9:26 am

99% chocolate?!? Wowza!

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:36 am

Anna,
I love the dark stuff. :)

Maren October 28, 2010 at 9:31 am

I think I’d just try to lick the food processor clean and forget the oats

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:36 am

Maren,
Hehe – that’s what usually happens. However, it was time for breakfast, and I had oat bran on the brain. :)

Amber at Berlin's Whimsy October 28, 2010 at 9:42 am

I made coconut butter and after it hardened, I wasn’t sure how to use it (scrape off bits or heat it up again…?). I love the ice cube idea!! Perfect!

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:39 am

Amber,
I used to leave the whole jar next to a space heater or the toaster oven and turn it on, but when it would reharden, the texture would get a little funky. So, now I just scrape off what I need, and since I usually eat the choc. coco. butter atop oats, it melts when I add it to the bowl. However, the ice cube tray trick works great as well, but for some reason, I like eating the stuff from a jar.

Hanna M. October 28, 2010 at 9:43 am

All I can say is that you’re a GENIUS.

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:39 am

Hanna M.
Thanks. :)

Nikki October 28, 2010 at 9:43 am

Ha! I chuckled at the OITFP. That coconut butter looks AMAZING and CD is brilliant for his ice cube tray idea.

Good job to the both of you! :)

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:39 am

Thanks Nikki. We make a pretty good team, no? :)

Emily October 28, 2010 at 9:45 am

OITFP!? So cute.

Avery October 28, 2010 at 9:57 am

Hahaha. I literally laughed out loud when I read “OITFP”! Hilarious.

Those look AMAZING! I wish my brain had the creativity to think of these things. Good thing yours does!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 28, 2010 at 10:04 am

OITFP is the best! How hilarious!!!

CD is a genius — I’m not a big fan of coconut, but those little HEAB almond joy bars are too freakin cute :)

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:40 am

Holly,
Yes he is, and you could always do chocolate peanut butter bars in the ice cube tray instead of coconut. :)

Steph - VegFortWorth October 28, 2010 at 10:06 am

Holy lord! Those little chocolate bars looks fabulous! Coconut is such a wonderful thing!

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:41 am

Steph,
Isn’t it though? I love coconut!

Cindy October 28, 2010 at 10:07 am

I made chocolate coconut butter last night too. My blender does the job but next time I am so going to make it in the food processor and see how it goes.

plus I thought I had to melt the chocolate first (and probably in my blender it was a smart move)…

and yeah…ice cube almond joy nuggets….PERFECT.
xo

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:42 am

Cindy,
Yeah, we used to melt the chocolate, but one day, CD just chucked the chocolate in with the coconut and it worked just fine. Much easier too!

Lissa October 28, 2010 at 10:13 am

I am DROOLING at your homemade Almond Joy bar. And frozen? Hello SWOON!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) October 28, 2010 at 10:16 am

OITFP hahaha thats great heather! What a perfect almond joy!

Namaste Gurl October 28, 2010 at 10:27 am

I just enjoyed some chocolate coconut butter yesterday, so I KNOW how amazing that stuff is…. Still can’t compare to cocoa bliss though :( I was tempted to eat all the 4 oz. I made yesterday. It was close!

Sylvia @ LifeisGoodwithFood October 28, 2010 at 10:31 am

Omigosh, you are just too sweet, I love you!<3 Lols. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that tomorrow will be my last day working at Hippotots (such is the life of a college grad who jumps from job to job until she finds a job good enough for her, lol) but I bought something for the little HEABlet that I hope you'll love to put her in, especially in the springtime ;)

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:44 am

Sylvia,
Aww, no more Hippotots? Oh well, hopefully you will find the perfect job soon. I know it must be hard trying to balance everything, and I insist on paying you for the HEABlet’s gift. Can’t wait to see it! Thanks so much, and I love you too. :)

Sylvia @ LifeisGoodwithFood October 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Aww there’s no need to repay me. You can just send me some of your Maple Nut Oaties & chocolate coconut butter, heheheeheeee :) <3333

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Sylvia,
Maple Nut Oaties it is…perhaps made with chocolate coconut butter? :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood October 28, 2010 at 6:40 pm

:O -=O I LOVE YOU! <33333 :)

Shelby October 28, 2010 at 10:38 am

Wow, and it’s probably so much cheaper than the store-bought kind! I have some coconut in my pantry too. I’m pretty sure all of my latest cooking ideas are coming from you, but then again you are a culinary genius!

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:45 am

Shelby,
Yes, it is cheaper, especially since we can’t buy Cacao Bliss here in Nashville, and I would have to pay shipping. Hope you enjoy my fellow culinary genius. :)

Clare @ Fitting It All In October 28, 2010 at 10:41 am

hahah Oats in a Food Processor. A new one – love it! I wonder if I can find a spoon long enough to eat blender leftovers?

And I wish I liked coconut!! I had a little stomach bug incident after a pina colada once and I haven’t been able to eat it since :(

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:46 am

Clare,
That’s a bummer – you could always make chocolate nut butter instead, and yes, long handled wooden spoons are great for eating straight from the blender. However, it’s a little difficult to dig things out from around the blade. ;)

Heather J October 28, 2010 at 10:42 am

When I visited Chicago last year, my husband and I did a chocolate walking tour and the Teuscher store was our first stop… that stuff in incredible. They had just received fresh chocolates from their supplier. It was unreal!

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:47 am

Heather J,
So jealous! CD and I are hoping to go to Chicago this weekend, and the Teuscher store is definitely on my list!

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 10:48 am

Oops – meant we hope to go to Chicago this summer. :)

Katie October 28, 2010 at 10:50 am

Dang girl. We might have to change your name to Heather Eat Chocolate and Coconut; not that that is a bad thing! Though, HEAB has a much better ring to it than HECC. Hehe. HECC.

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Katie,
I think HECC kind of has a nice ring to it. :)

polly October 28, 2010 at 10:52 am

Chicago this summer?

Can you detour in Fort Wayne, please? We’ll need a HEABLET hug and I willl fix you some yummies, okay?

Coconut = heart smoosh.

Lurve you! Still loving my butternut and my meat filled peppers. Just like my HEABERS would. :P XOXO

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Polly,
You have too many recipes I want to try. Stop being so creative! ;) Totally think of Abbi whenever I eat those little nuggets of chocolate coconut butter goodness because I know she loves her almond joys! :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 28, 2010 at 11:15 am

That’s the perfect way to clean out the food processor! :D

Matt October 28, 2010 at 11:38 am

OMG that looks good! Have you tried coconut peanut butter? It is my favorite right now :)

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Matt, No, but I need to. Do you make your own?

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 28, 2010 at 11:49 am

What a great idea! And I love that you used the food processor after you made it to get all the goodness out. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 28, 2010 at 11:50 am

It’s like homemade Cacao Bliss! I <3 it! When my jar is gone, I'm definitely going to be making some!

cocolyn October 28, 2010 at 12:02 pm

food processor remnants = yum…

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Cocolyn,
Love all these creative names you’re coming up with lately. :)

Erin October 28, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Hi HEAB! I used to blog about avocados a lot, and then disappeared from earth. I just started checking blogs again.
I love your creations and congratulations (very late!) on the Heablet! So exciting.

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Erin,
Of course – I remember you. Think about you from time to time. Gosh, you’re in your 2nd year of law school now, right? How’s it going? Well, I hope. I’ve missed you and thanks for the congrats! :)

Kristina @ spabettie October 28, 2010 at 12:07 pm

huzzah !! OIAFP !! love it!

and I LOVE the idea of putting this in ice cube trays… so want to make this! :D

Kelly Michelle October 28, 2010 at 12:19 pm

ahhhhhhhh I wish I could get this to work for me!! Still have no idea what I am doing wrong

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Kelly,
The only thing I can think of is your food processor. What brand do you have and what size? Sorry, you may have told me but I can’t remember.

Kelly Michelle October 28, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Yea we talked about it on the other post a little bit. I have a full size food processor – a cuisinart but I also tried a Vita which I know for a fact has worked for other bloggers!

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Kelly,
Right, I knew you had tried both the blender and processor. I don’t know why it’s not working either. So sorry as I know you’re frustrated! :(

Kelly Michelle October 28, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Not your fault!! I just want to try it. I’ve actually never even tried the Artisana on bc it is just so expensive

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 9:24 am

Kelly,
Advice from another commenter: you aren’t using sweetened coconut are you? Cause my experience has been the Baker’s sweetened will not turn liquid and my cuisinart was hot by the time i gave up… And i also did not have good luck with the Bob’s Red Mill giant flakes.. It had to be just regular old unsweetened coconut..

Kelly Michelle October 29, 2010 at 9:40 am

Nope. I tried the organic unsweetened from the Lets Do Organic brand and the unsweetened from the WF bulk bins.

Carolyn October 28, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Brooke October 28, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I dunno, maybe it’s my food processor blade or something, but I also had trouble with a bag of unsweetened that I got from an Indian market… the flakes were really small, so maybe that had something to do with it?

I found I had to scrape the sides every 1-2 minutes for the first 15 minutes… :P and it never became liquid enough for me. I don’t think I’ll be doing this again… :(

That said, I put a spoonful in my OJ/berry/spinach smoothie, and it gives it creamy goodness! :)

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 9:23 am

Brooke,
Sorry it didn’t work for you. Not sure what the problem is – I’ve used really small flakes from Whole Foods, and it came out fine, but I do have to scrape the sides down a lot more. At least it added some creamy goodness to your smoothie. :)

whitney October 28, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Those look sooo good! I love chocolate + coconut.

Ali October 28, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I think I’m going to have to invest in a food processor – this looks delicious!

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Ali,
LOVE my food processor. Definitely worth the investment!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 28, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Oh this post is going to get about a zillion views and comments b/c I think it combines everyone’s faves: chocolate, coconut, nut butter, do-it-yourself, and deliciousness!!!!!!!!!!

WAY TO GO on this one!!!!!!!! You’re a genius…it’s all those pregnancy hormones that are making you just extra super duper creative :) I totally want to try this!

Ironically, I just bought a bag of Halloween candy for the trick or treaters with Almond Joy’s in it! As a kid Mounds and Almond Joys werent too common to come by and I hoarded them :)

Thanks for the awesome email and after some chores and life stuff, I’ll be back to write more :)

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Averie,
I know – I’ve had several commenters say they will be sad when the pregnancy cravings end..but then the nursing cravings will start, right? ;)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) October 28, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Good thing your FP was off before you dove into your OIAFP. I just had a funny mental image, haha. :)

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Diana,
Yeah, that could have been a bad scene. ;)

melissa @ the delicate place October 28, 2010 at 2:01 pm

omg CD is a genius! those look perfect!

Lorne October 28, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I am feeling a date with my food processor coming on Heather! It is breakfast time here and while my salad and pate pita was yumbo, I am now drooling at this post – note to self, stay away from HEAB while eating breakfast! lol

I opened my very first jar of sunflower butter this week, not loving it as much as almond butter :0(…. any suggests on how to use it?

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Lorne,
Hehe, sorry about that. ;) And as far as the sunflower seed butter goes, I’m sad to hear you’re not loving it so much. You could always try baking with it. Maybe sub it for oil in a batch of cookies or banana bread…or these muffins: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/almond-butter-banana-muffins/. However, keep in mind sometimes baked goods with sunflower seed butter turn out green. This is why: When using your own recipe that contains baking soda or baking powder, in combination with SunButter, you may notice a discoloration in your baked goods.

This is not a problem! Simply reduce your baking soda or baking powder or add lemon juice to balance the ph factor and maintain proper color.

This discoloration is the result of sunflower seeds being rich in Chlorogenic acid which is found naturally in all plants. Most plants only have Chlorogenic acid in the stems and leaves, but sunflower also has it in the seeds. This is one of the reasons sunflower is so good for you

Shannon October 28, 2010 at 2:29 pm

freezing in ice cube trays? genius :) i’d ask if you wanted to marry me, but maybe you just want to adopt me? i’m already potty trained, too, so a bit easier than the heablet :)

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Shannon,
You’re welcome down South anytime. I’ll make sure to keep an extra ice-tray filled with chocolate coconut butter in the fridge for ya! :)

Amanda B. October 28, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Yum! That chocolate looks so tasty.

Totally had a HEAB-inspired lunch today. Threw a scoop of almond butter and two big scoops of canned pumpkin in with my stir-fry (ground bison, potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, other misc. veggies) . It was surprisingly tasty and helped me make good use of some leftovers.

Amanda

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Amanda,
Wish I could have been at your house for lunch today. Sounded delicious and right up my ally! :)

Dani October 28, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Oh stop it!! That is too yummy looking to be so easy… just bookmarked this idea… brilliant!

Hayley October 28, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I swear to you my eyes just popped open at the last picture of adding your oats to the coconut chocolate stuff in the food processor…holy yumballs!!! Now THAT is what I call a delicious-looking treat. You could eat it for breakfast, right? :)

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Hayley,
Breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack! :)

Balanced Healthy Life October 28, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Holy Yum! : )

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast October 28, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Oh my gosh Heather – I LOVE that you took a picture of your oats in a food processor! You are awesome.

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Emily,
No shame!!! ;)

Heather October 28, 2010 at 5:42 pm

OITFP!! LOVE it! I ran to my kitchen and made some of this when you first posted about it and it’s ahhhmazing! So easy…and I even used a Magic Bullet! I will def have to try the Almond Joy thing…just as soon as I remember where my ice trays are…haha!

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Heather,
So good to know it works in the Bullet. I’ll have to tell others that. Thanks for sharing, and I hope you found your ice cube trays! :)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) October 28, 2010 at 5:56 pm

HEAB! today I bought a little box of 10 chocolate almond butter squeeze packs, so excited to try! I kept finding only the chocolate PB, but I really wanted the AB instead. Hopefully I can control myself :)

HEAB October 28, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Felicia,
The chocolate AB is my favorite. So much better than the PB in my opinion. Hope you like them! :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit October 28, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Hilarious. I’m going to make chocolate coconut butter asap!

Kristen@makingourway October 28, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Hahaha—awesome! Taking Oats in a Jar to a whole new level! :)

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan October 28, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Ok, I already wanted to try your choc-coco butter (when I get home from culinary school in…8 more weeks, gah!) but now, with those little Mounds bar thingies I KNOW that I HAVE to. Too yummy-looking!!

annie October 28, 2010 at 7:50 pm

I love youuuuuuuuuuuuuu.. I am SO making these little mounds of joy this weekend!! Great idea! and your ending.. with the oats?? simply perfection!

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 9:21 am

Annie,
Enjoy. :)

Cynthia (It All Changes) October 28, 2010 at 8:20 pm

I just added the chocolate to the coconut butter today and it makes a perfect topping to a microwaved apple with cinnamon. My new favorite dessert :-)

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 9:21 am

Cynthia,
Sounds yummy, and in my opinion, you can never go wrong with a good choco-coconut combo. Glad you enjoyed! :)

Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit October 28, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Reason #1927426183123 I love food processors; and I haven’t even made this yet.

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 9:20 am

Sarah-Mae,
I love my Vita-Mix, but I don’t think I could live without my food processor! OK, so I couldn’t live without either. :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) October 28, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Great minds must think alike b/c my post last week was making coconut butter. But I never thought to add CHOCOLATE to it- be still my heart!! I’ve been thinking about you soooo much lately- cosmic!? Love ya!
D

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 9:19 am

Deb,
The chocolate coconut butter is our favorite – homemade version is much cheaper than Cacao Bliss, especially since I can’t find that stuff in Nashville and would have to pay shipping costs. CD and I go through a jar a week if not more. Love it! We think about you all the time – CD is always asking how you’re doing. :)

Melissa @ I Never Imagined October 28, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Wow! Your little girl is going to be a genius. CD’s chocolate ice-cube chocolates and your OITFP? Brilliant!

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 9:18 am

Melissa,
We hope so. :)

Emily October 28, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Love these creations, especially OITFP!!! Ok so for my homemade almond butter. I took raw almonds, put them in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes, turning every 5. Processed until smooth, the result? A wierd tasting AB that is a cross between raw and roasted. Did I not cook them long enough? Should I have let them cool for a while?? It was sort of a fail…and a loud one :)

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 9:18 am

Emily,
So sorry – yeah, the almonds may need to have roasted a bit longer. I tend to let them go until I hear them start to “pop” in the oven. Just don’t burn them – trust me, burnt tasting almond butter is NOT good!

Christin L. October 28, 2010 at 10:35 pm

OIAFP is sheer brilliance! And I’ve got to find that super dark chocolate!

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly October 28, 2010 at 11:12 pm

I love the HEAB bar sneakily melting on the palm of your hand. All for the sake of yummy photography!

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 9:16 am

Kristen,
Yeah, that was rough – especially when I had to lick my hand clean. The lengths I’ll go to for a good photo. ;)

Deborah October 28, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Mmmm…..I am going to have to try that when I get some more unsweetened coconut (it’s on the ups truck right now!).

What I’ve been doing is melting some unsweetened Baking chocolate (Trader Joe’s or Baker’s) and then stirring in some coconut oil and some coconut shreds (unsweetened). Put it in the freezer and then break it up and put it in the fridge (where it doesn’t stay very long :) ).

For my husband, I use semi-sweet baking chocolate. I spoon his chocy into candy molds and put in the freezer and then dump into a glass container kept in the fridge. His chocolate (and all of his snacks) last a lot longer than mine for some reason. :)

Thanks again, Heather!!

Deborah (who is expecting her first grand-baby next spring!)

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 9:15 am

Deborah,
Many congrats on the grand-baby – so exciting!!! :) And yeah, neither your chocolate candy, nor your husband’s would last long in our fridge – I know CD and I would love it!

Ken Ebacher October 29, 2010 at 1:57 am

Hi Heather! I’m curious if this recipe would also be able to made with unsweetened coconut and a dark only-chocolate powder? Let me know okay? God bless you all

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 9:13 am

Ken,
Yes, I’m sure it would work. Make the coconut butter first and then add in the cocoa powder and maybe a little sweetener if it’s too bitter. The product I was attempting to recreate (Cacao Bliss) uses agave nectar, but you could add maple syrup or honey or just eat as is. Enjoy! :)

Jenny October 29, 2010 at 7:39 am

This looks awesome! I’m defintely going to have to try this! Thank you for sharing : )

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 9:12 am

Jenny,
You’re welcome. :)

Jackie October 29, 2010 at 8:30 am

I think those oats in the food processor look delicious!! I really want to try this recipe. Where do you normally buy unsweetened coconut? I’ve only seen the sweetened version. Also, do you think it would be okay to use baker’s or semisweet chocolate or do you think it will be too bitter? Thanks and happy Friday!

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 9:11 am

Jackie,
I buy the unsweetened stuff at my regular grocery store – both Kroger and Harris Teeter sell it in the baking aisle, and Whole Foods always has it in their bulk bins, and no I don’t think Bakers or semi-sweet would be too bitter, but I’m a dark chocolate girl. The bar I used yesterday was 88% – not as sweet at the semi-sweet stuff, and the coconut butter came out delicious. The coconut adds a bit of sweetness as well. Enjoy and happy Friday to you as well. :)

Mallory October 29, 2010 at 8:53 am

will now officially have to freak my roomate out even more by using one of the ice cube trays for coconut butter…hahaha. the only unsweetened coconut i can find is ‘organic’ and the bag isnt real big so i never get a lot when i whiz it up :(

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 9:09 am

Mallory,
Buy 2 bags. :)

bitt October 29, 2010 at 3:37 pm

great idea! I love coconut and chocolate.

Brandae October 29, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Hi Heather,
Just wanted to tell you a couple things – I made more chocolate coconut butter (calling it chocococo butter – kids laugh when we say it) and drizzled it over frozen banana soft serve (mixed with vanilla maple almond butter) – it hardened up like the old magic shell chocolate topping. Loved that crunch!!!
Also, I LOVE reading about Nashville and seeing your pics of the local parks. Hubby and I lived there our first year of marriage (I was at Vandy for grad school) and spent most of our free time hiking – just beautiful – especially Warner Parks and Radnor Lake.
Brandae

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Brandae,
I used to love Magic Shell, and I love using chocolate coconut butter as a healthier substitute. In fact, I caught CD just pouring the batch I made yesterday directly into the ice-cream container. Can’t really blame him though as it looked delicious! So cool you know all the local Nashville parks. Radnor is so beautiful this time of year, and we don’t live very far from Percy Warner. The white trail is my absolute favorite! Hope you have a wonderful weekend filled with lots of chocococo butter (that’s hard to type – so many o’s & c’s). :)

Meagan October 29, 2010 at 10:02 pm

GREAT IDEA with the ice cube tray. I’M TOTALLY gonna copy :)

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Meagan,
Copy away. :)

Alison October 30, 2010 at 8:30 am

Made this. Ate it. Loved it. Blogged it. THANKS!

Hanna M. October 30, 2010 at 3:58 pm

And just a tip, since we’re speaking of coconut butter: It’s not worth it to try a combo of coconut and hazelnut butter. They’re better on their own…… Ha ha ;)

HEAB October 30, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Thanks Hanna M. Good to know. :)

Sophie November 1, 2010 at 4:25 am

What great & cool ideas here!! Waw!! Yummie too!

LizLivingVegan November 5, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Oh yum!! That looks so good. And OITFP sounds great ;)

{ 4 trackbacks }