Soup or Sauce?

by HEAB on October 29, 2010

Remember Victoria? The blogger who introduced me to my new favorite chocolate? Well, I’ve had her Creamy Goat Cheese Pumpkin Sauce bookmarked for a couple of weeks now, and since I had plenty of pumpkin on hand (Thank you Jason!), I decided to give the sauce a try.

The final product…

I used almond flour and HEABified coconut milk, and it never did get really thick. So, I ended up pouring all the ingredients into my Vita-Mix and pureeing it all together. Mmm, it tastes like a delicious savory pumpkin soup. However, the goal was sauce and so that’s how I used it.

Egg, spinach, and meatball scramble topped with creamy goat cheese pumpkin sauce. A tasty and satisfying lunch. Thanks Victoria!

Dessert?

A muffin for one served atop ice-cream, but you’ll have to check back later today or tomorrow for that recipe. It’s my latest obsession. :)

So, in regards to the Lake Shore Pumpkin vs. Libby taste test…

They are both delicious, and honestly, I couldn’t really tell a difference. I searched and searched for a Lake Shore Pumpkin website, but this was the only one listed on the can. So, I’m assuming Libby’s and Lake Shore Pumpkin are one in the same? Does anyone know the truth? Anyway, I love them both, but if given the option, I would purchase the Lake Shore. I mean, c’mon, the can is so much more fun! :)

Happy weekend to you all. I’m off on a dog walk and then CD and I have a meeting with our doula to discuss the HEABlet’s birth plan. It’s getting so close!

chocolate-covered katie October 29, 2010 at 8:57 am

Holy Pumpkins!
Uh oh, if you don’t watch out, the HEABlet is going to come out as an oompah loompah!

JenniferLeah October 29, 2010 at 10:24 am

Oh. My. Hilarious.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 29, 2010 at 9:05 am

Look at you investigating pumpkin! I am guessing most of them come from the same place and are labeled differently. Enjoy your walk and your meeting. I am so excited for you two! I can’t wait to hear about the plan. I so wish I could have a do over, but I will live through you on this one cause no more babies for me! Have a great day Heather!

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 11:16 am

Sarena,
I know your births weren’t ideal for you, but sounds like your boys turned out great to me…especially that little bacon/dark meat lover of yours. :)

Jessica @ How Sweet October 29, 2010 at 9:07 am

That can is SO much more fun!

Erika @ Food.Fitness.Fun October 29, 2010 at 9:09 am

I just checked Victorias blog – that sauce sounds amazing. And that is coming from a girl who doesn’t care for punpkin! LOL

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 11:17 am

Erika,
It’s quite tasty – hope you like it! I plan to finish off the rest at lunch today. Can’t wait. :)

melissa @ the delicate place October 29, 2010 at 9:15 am

my baby’s got sauce (G love and the special sauce) ya dig? everytime i see sauce that’s what i think. i am ridiculous. i love a hearty soup!

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 11:17 am

Melissa,
I dig. :)

BBKn October 29, 2010 at 9:15 am

Ma’am that is the smallest ice cream bowl i have ever seen… Break out the Jethro bowl..!!!

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 11:18 am

BBKn,
Well, not photographed was the 2 scoops I ate straight from the carton. ;)

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie October 29, 2010 at 9:21 am

The muffin for one looks intriguing. Is that cheese on top? Can’t be! Can it? Wait, is it …? No, I have no clue. The suspence is killing me.

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 11:19 am

Alina,
Nope…you’ll just have to wait and see. The top actually had melted ice-cream on top as I plopped the muffin in my ice-cream upside down and then flipped it back over for the photo. Can’t wait to share the recipe with you guys. :)

Tangy @ A Taste of Tangy October 29, 2010 at 9:23 am

Pumpkin and eggs?? Interesting combo! But I have yet to eat something pumpkin-infused that I didn’t like! I just bought another big can of Libby’s pumpkin…I’m having so much fun creating new ways to eat it! I live close to the pumpkin capital of the world where they make the Libbys stuff–did you know there is a big festival every year in September? http://www.pumpkincapital.com/pumpkin-festival

JenniferLeah October 29, 2010 at 10:26 am

Great! We are all coming out and crashing at your place next year :)
Send me some pumpkin Tangy *lol*

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 11:20 am

Tangy – no way! I want to come to the Pumpkin Festival next year! Is everyone glowing orange by the end? ;)

Tangy @ A Taste of Tangy October 29, 2010 at 11:43 am

Jenniferleah, you can come by anytime :) Too bad there is no road race!! We’d rock that for sure ;) And just imagine a goody bag full of pumpkin stuff!! ahhhh!! I might have to start a petition!

Heather, I would think so! I was too busy with my sister’s wedding to make it this year but I am SO there next year for all the pumpkiny goodness :)

Christin L. October 29, 2010 at 9:23 am

That sauce sounds divine! I made a tomato, goat milk, goat cheese, and butternut squash sauce last night… the recipe is in my blog! :)

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 11:21 am

Christin,
I know – when I read your recipe, I was thinking – hmm, sounds similar to my lunch sauce yesterday but even better. Love the addition of tomato paste, and I’ve been meaning to try Polly’s meatballs forever, as well as her pumpkin meatloaf. Love all that girl’s recipes! :)

Christin L. October 29, 2010 at 11:26 am

Her meatloaf is definitely on my list to try as well! With the CORN MEAL… sounds divine! :)

Christin L. October 29, 2010 at 9:25 am

…which I actually just noticed you perused! Thanks for leaving a comment, means the world to me! :)

Victoria (District Chocoholic) October 29, 2010 at 9:39 am

Glad to hear it was tasty! Haven’t tried it with non-dairy milk, so I’m not sure about the thickening issue. I would suggest substituting 1 tablespoon of cornstarch for the flour if you’d like to use non-dairy milks. Coconut milk in particular sounds like it would add an intriguing dimention.

Oh, and regarding the soup vs. sauce question: if it were a soup, I would eat this straight with a spoon. Wait a minute…I do that :) .

Next pumpkin experiment: pumpkin truffles. Vegan. This weekend.

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 11:23 am

Victoria, Pumpkin truffles? Can’t wait. Cornstarch – good call, and I can’t wait to dive into the remaining sauce today. Plan on eating it soup style, straight up with a spoon. :)

Victoria (District Chocoholic) October 29, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Well, if you eat it soup style, then I say it’s A-OK for me to do it, too. Hope the meeting with the doula went well, and I’ll be posting the pumpkin truffle outcome soon (hopefully it’s good!).

Katie October 29, 2010 at 9:41 am

Yum. Yum. Yum. I’m actually getting a little sick of pumpkin…I know, crazy! I’ll be back though.

I bet they are the same. I read once that generic brands are often made by the big name brands, in the same plant and everything. Since then, I go generic if I can’t taste a difference. I read the same thing about products at TJs.

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 11:24 am

Katie,
I have my pumpkin and non-pumpkin days too. Sometimes it sounds so good and other days, I just can’t stomach anything orange. However, today is definitely a pumpkin day, and I plan on eating the rest of that yummy sauce soup style for lunch. And yes, I’ve read the same thing about TJ’s. Honestly, I think their almond butter and Whole Food’s 365 brand is really Maranatha with a generic label.

Kristina @ spabettie October 29, 2010 at 9:41 am

I’m with ya on that can… MUCH more fun!!

I can’t ever taste a difference, I don’t think… and I eat pumpkin year round, so I have it a lot!!

and that sauce??? you had me at GOAT CHEESE !!

HAPPY WEEKEND !! <3

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 11:25 am

Happy weekend to you as well Kristina. Hope it’s filled with lots of goat cheese lovin’! ;)

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 29, 2010 at 9:49 am

some of my friends just had their baby yesterday…he’s the SWEETEST little thing! i just can’t wait to see pictures of HEABlet!

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 11:27 am

Heather, reading your comment just gave me chills. Many congrats to your friends and their new little baby boy. :)

S @ extremebalance.net/blog October 29, 2010 at 9:59 am

Meatballs *in* a scramble? Ooh. And I have all ingredients on hand… :)

Abigail @ Good to Think and Eat October 29, 2010 at 10:29 am

Lately I’ve been crazy for pumpkin, hoarding the cans and putting it on EVERYTHING. The question is, when is this pumpkin-mania no longer seasonally appropriate? I’ve been worried that after Halloween it will be time for a new ingredient, but I feel like I could stretch my pumpkin-lovin all the way till Thanksgiving.

It’s so funny how we go pumpkin-mad in the autumn. I’m pretty new to this whole feeding myself business (just graduated from college and now the mealplan is just a distant bad memory); is canned pumpkin only a seasonal grocery item?

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Abigail,
You can usually buy canned pumpkin year-round, but last year the pumpkin crop was bad. Libby’s was hard to come by, and my advice is to stock up while you can! :)

JenniferLeah October 29, 2010 at 10:29 am

There are so many great pumpkin recipes floating around right now!!
Looking forward to hearing more about those muffins…
Just got back from TJ’s GRAND OPENING here in Maine and loaded up on organic canned pumkin so I will have plenty to play with this weekend.
Happy Cooking!

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Jennifer,
TJ’s so exciting!!! I love that place. TJ’s cinnamon grahams (craving them right now) are the best ever. Also love their almond butter – roasted unsalted crunchy and the flax one is good as well. Also love TJ’s goat milk yogurt – can’t beat that price. :) Enjoy your pumpkin playtime this weekend!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) October 29, 2010 at 10:30 am

Yes the cans: Marketing 101A right? Although, I’m sure that ‘old-schoolers’ (that would be anyone older than ME) would love the comfort of the old Libby’s label that takes them back to their childhood.

I love using up stuff that didn’t go so well the first time. Remember the really-bad almond butter that I made for you? I STILL have it in the fridge- waiting to make some bars or something.

I also love the word Doula as I know a guy named Doula- I think he’s from former Yugoslavia :-) good luck you two- hugs to CD and the pups!!

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Deb,
You know a guy named Doula? Too funny as yes, it is a fun word to say. Love you too – big hug to you, Derek, and cats. :)

Little Bookworm October 29, 2010 at 11:01 am

Looking forward to the muffin for one recipe. :)

kathleen October 29, 2010 at 11:15 am

hm. i tried scrolling through nestle brands (who owns libby’s) if they owned lake shore. i didn’t see it.

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Kathleen,
Interesting. I can’t figure it out. Thanks for doing a little research for me. :)

Erin October 29, 2010 at 11:16 am

Things are going pretty well, Heather! That’s such a pretty can of pumpkin, I’ve never seen it before! I am obviously swayed by marketing.
Strangely, I don’t think I’ve used any cans of pumpkin this Fall. But I have roasted quite a few little pumpkins to use in soup and pasta.

Mimi (Gingersnaps) October 29, 2010 at 11:43 am

Oooh, YUM!

If you need it to be thicker, maybe run it through the Vita with a little pinch of Xanthan/Guar Gum?

Second question…I don’t actually have any goat cheese in my cabinet…but I have lots of nuts I’m trying to get rid of before I go to London. If I made a nut cheese that resembled goat, do you think it would work as a substitute?

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Mimi,
Yeah, I thought about adding a gum, but once I blended everything together in the Vita, things thickened up. Just at the last of the sauce in soup form for my lunch. Delicious! Not sure about the nut cheese as I’m thinking it wouldn’t melt, but if you blend it all together in your blender or food processory, I think it would taste really good.

Krystina (Organically Me) October 29, 2010 at 11:46 am

I made something similar, but it was a filling for stuffed shells so it was much thicker – it was DIVINE!

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Krystina,
Yeah, stuffed pumpkin shells sound divine. Bet they were a hit! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 29, 2010 at 11:56 am

I love that Lake Shore Pumpkin can! It’s super cute! That sauce looks super yummy – you’re too creative!

Have fun at the doula!

Dana @ my little celebration October 29, 2010 at 11:59 am

Wow, that muffin for one looks DELICIOUS! I look forward to getting my hands on the recipe.

Just out of curiosity Heather, how many calories do you think you take in daily? And has it increased a lot since as your pregnancy has progressed?

Thanks, Dana : )

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Dana,
I have no idea what my calorie intake is these days. Honestly, I used to track online here and there, and when I didn’t, I always had some kind of running tally in my head just out of habit. However, now I’m just eating when I’m hungry and really trying to focus on getting in as much fat as I can. Before the HEABlet came along, I would eat anywhere between 1700 to 2000 calories everyday, and I’m sure my intake is 2000+ these days. Just going by hunger, eating whatever I’m craving, and totally listening to my body – it’s been an eye opening experience for me as I never truly realized how many food rules I used to live by, and I hope to stick with my new way of eating forever!

Nichole October 29, 2010 at 12:21 pm

That pumpkin muffin looks really good atop of that ice cream, cant wait for the recipe!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 29, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Mmmm a muffin on ice cream – sounds and looks delicious!

No idea about the pumpkin, but Lake Shore pumpkin has a cuter can :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 29, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Ok first, I just posted a pumpkin soup recipe yesterday!

Next, I just linked your Mounds Bar candy post in a post I published 3 seconds ago :) B/c they look soooo awesome!

And the pumpkin being the same…I posted about 3-4 weeks ago about private labeling with grocery stores and various food items. It was about an article about Trader Joes how their food is private labeled so alot of their food is the same as more expensive WF’s type food, i.e. some of the Amy’s frozen meals are private labeled for TJs and are half the cost.

Or like the mustard I can buy at a variety of grocery stores, i.e. the Ralph’s brand of Sweet Heat is the same as the President’s Choice Sweet Hot mustard.

So not that far fetched the pumpkin purees are one in the same :)

Happy Halloween..next year at this time you will have a walking/crawling baby who will be trying to eat candy and who will be decked out in an adorable HWeen costume!

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Averie,
I know. I swear that TJ’s almond butter as well as Whole Foods 365 brand is really just Maranatha with a generic label, and yes, I told CD that next year we would have to carve a pumpkin and go trick-or-treating. :)

Ana October 29, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Sauce looks delicious, already printed out the recipe to try! I loooove goat cheese, and I loooove pumpkin, so I have a feeling that this recipe can’t go wrong!
Anxiously waiting for the muffin for one recipe! (maybe one of those microwave mug cake type recipe?) Looks like pumpkin chocolate chip, and that is one of my favorite flavors for muffins!

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Ana,
You’re going to love the muffin recipe – has your name written all over it! :)

Victoria (District Chocoholic) October 29, 2010 at 1:51 pm

For the record, my guess on the muffin is kabocha squash.

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Victoria…maybe, maybe not. ;)

Namaste Gurl October 29, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Yum, yum, yum and yum :) I’m so excited about all these lovely pumpkin recipes I so do want to try– however, finding time to do so is the main question! Pumpkin-avocado soft-serve (Vita style) has been my fav recently….

Good luck with meeting with your doula– I’m so excited to see pics and hear more about the delivery of miss HEABlet :)

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Namaste Gurl,
Pumpkin-avocado ice-cream? Sounds right up my ally. Also sounds like you’re having much fun with your Vita-Mix! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

nicole October 29, 2010 at 2:35 pm

The Lake Shore definitely is much more fun! ;)
Doula time!! YAY! It’s almost here!

e m l October 29, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Inventive! I have a giant jar of pumpkin opened and have been wondering how else to use it up – how long is it good refrigerated for I wonder? Of course, there are always muffins that can use pumpkin…;)

I have two different kinds of pumpkin here too – one (oddly) has twice the nutritional info (i.e cals, carbs) than the other – but I noticed the ingredients of the higher one is just pumpkin versus pumpkin and squash in the other. I assume yours are just Pumpkin? Whatever, it’s good.

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 8:17 pm

EML,
I say the pumpkin is good for at least 3 days in an airtight container. Yeah, I remember you mentioning the pumpkin vs squash cans before. Squash usually does contain a few more calories than pumpkin, but the difference shouldn’t be that much. Weird. Yes, mine were just 100% pumpkin.

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe October 29, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Oh, I can’t wait for the muffin for one recipe! I’m all over that:) I hope it has pumpkin in it!

I’ve never seen the Lake Shore pumpkin, but I have wondered what the difference is in different brands.

HEAB October 29, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Candice,
Muffin recipe to be posted tomorrow, and yes, pumpkin was involved. :)

Kiran October 29, 2010 at 10:48 pm

For a 1st time mummy, I love your spirit :)

Kristin October 30, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Wegman’s puts that product out, right? They have their own organic division, from what I understand, so it may just be their own product. That can is definitely way more fun than the the Libby’s can!

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 8:42 am

Kristin,
Not sure – I think that Lake Shore is only available in New York. Another blogger sent it to me, and yes, love the can! :)

{ 1 trackback }