The Lonely Muffin

by HEAB on October 30, 2010

My new favorite recipe? Katie’s Single Lady Cupcake.

I’ve made two different versions and loved them both. The first one was based on Katie’s Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin. However, I made the lazy girl version and nuked it the microwave for 90 seconds rather than baking in the oven. It was a little gooey but paired perfectly with some vanilla bean ice-cream. To make the muffin, I ground up 3 TBSP rolled oats in my Magic Bullet and then stirred in the rest of the ingredients, subbing 1 square of dark Ghiradelli chocolate for the chocolate chips. I didn’t add any sweetener – didn’t need it with the chocolate and ice-cream. :) I then greased a small coffee mug with a bit of coconut oil, and into the microwave it went.

This was so good that I ate the same combo again after dinner that night. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe Katie!

Yesterday, I made a cornbread version to eat with my savory pumpkin soup, aka Victoria’s creamy goat cheese pumpkin sauce.

For the cornbread muffin, I mixed 3 TBSP cornmeal together with 1 and 1/2 TBSP HEABified coconut milk, pinch of salt, 1/4 tsp baking powder, and 1 heaping spoonful of canned pumpkin. Plopped the mix into a greased coffee mug and microwaved for only 1 minute this time. I then cut the muffin in half, slathering it in butter and cinnamon. Perfect topping for my soup – delicious and super simple!

This morning, I met up with fellow blogger Kristen for a 90 minute vinyasa class. The class was so great – slow and intense and just what I was craving. Kristen, it was so nice to meet you. Welcome to Nashville, and I hope to see you again soon. Now I’m off to the grocery store as I’m in major need of some rotisserie chicken! :)

S @ extremebalance.net/blog October 30, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Too funny. :) I’m of the mind that single girls tend to be less single when they bake a *lot*, but maybe that’s just the old adage “a way to a man’s heart is through his stomach”…

Baking for one is still a rockin’ idea.

HEAB October 30, 2010 at 3:06 pm

S,
I’ve learned that for the most part, “a way to a man’s heart is with bacon.” ;)

S @ extremebalance.net/blog October 30, 2010 at 3:48 pm

that could *definitely* be a t-shirt. :)

HEAB October 30, 2010 at 8:51 pm

S,

Heather October 30, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Ohhh, I’ll definitely be making these! Pretty sure I’ll be a super lazy girl too and pop it in the microwave…we do live in an age of “instant gratification” ya know! ;)

Watch out chicken!! Mama’s coming atcha!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 30, 2010 at 12:22 pm

You amaze me that you are still going to 90 minute yoga classes at 38 weeks! You totally rock Heather!

HEAB October 30, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Thanks Chelsey,
I’m actually pretty surprised myself. Still feeling really good – can’t complain! :)

Namaste Gurl October 30, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Nice– I like how you HEAB-ized Katie’s simple muffin recipe. Love how you plopped in the micro instead of the oven. Actually….mmmm… that seems pretty fishy to me. Heather using the micro instead of oven? Mmmmm, I gotta look into that. ;)

Love you, Heather! Have a wonderful rest of the day.

HEAB October 30, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Namaste,
I know – I was totally anti-microwave for so long, and then we got a new one installed, and it’s just so darn easy and quick! ;)

Little Bookworm October 30, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Love of the versions of Katie’s recipe. :) I used her recipe today to make a double chocolate cherry muffin!

Ana October 30, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I am totally making the pumpkin muffin! yum yum!!

HEAB October 30, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Ana,
I knew you would like it. :)

Gina October 30, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Love that single lady cupcake! Can’t wait to try it. I’ll probably nuke it in the microwave too :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 30, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I saw that cupcake on Katie’s blog and it looked so good — I will definitely be making one of those babies tonight!

MarathonVal October 30, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I’m trying not to spoil my appetite for a dinner out tonight but I’m drooling over those photos! Looks so delicious I wish I could jump into the computer screen and eat the muffin + ice cream combo… yum!

HEAB October 30, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Thanks Val. Enjoy your evening! :)

christina cadden October 30, 2010 at 1:35 pm

mm, sounds delicious!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) October 30, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Ahhhh, rotisserie chicken! I de-vegetarianized for a rotisserie chicken. I haven’t looked back! ;-)

HEAB October 30, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Deb,
I’ve been craving them like crazy – they barely even make it home before I attack with a fork. ;)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) October 30, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I FORK!? You ARE civilized!! ;-)

Melissa @ I Never Imagined October 30, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Oh yum! Muffin in a mug? Who’d have thought??

HEAB October 30, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Melissa,
Me :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 30, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Oh I saw Katie posting about them and in years past, not on food blogs, but in food allergy circles on yahoogroups (what the world did before there were blogs I think, LOL) but anyway, I have made microwave coffee mug cakes before. When I saw her Single Lady recipe, I immediately thought about nuking it, not baking it. And glad that it worked out! Anything that I can adapt to be vegan, GF, and nuke-able, well, that’s a happy day :)

90 min vinyasa class. Ohmy. I was having serious Braxton Hicks at your point. I would tie my shoes and start contracting. I am impressed you’re still kickin’ and movin’ and groovin’! It’s just going to make your labor and recovery THAT much easier :)

HEAB October 30, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Averie,
I sure hope so!

Kristina @ spabettie October 30, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I LOVE these! :D I make them all the time – more of a muffin version with egg for breakfast, and a cupcakey version with chocolate or vanilla protein powder for dessert :D

Katie’s recipe looks awesome.

e m l October 30, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I like your choice of words – “plopped it in” :) ….and the “slathered with butter and cinnamon”. See your vocab is delectable! :)

HEAB October 30, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Haha – thanks e m l! :)

Natalia - a side of simple October 30, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Mmm rotisserie chicken! So many options for toppings when that is involved :)

Kiran October 30, 2010 at 2:08 pm

When you mentioned rotisserie, I am thinking about tortilla soup ;)

grocery goddess jen October 30, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I love all the single serve recipes out there, like for three minute cookies and little cakes, but I haven’t seen this one before, thanks for the link!

Loved your post from last night about the frozen yogurt…if only I didn’t live four hours from Nashville!

HEAB October 30, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Jen,
Two words: road trip! :)

Rachel Edwards October 30, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Food looks delicious as always Heather! I made some Pumpkin muffins tonight too! Have a look on my blog for the recipe :) x

Bridget October 30, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I’m all for the lazy girl method! Microwaves are a miracle sometimes :)

Katie October 30, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Anything single serving and microwavable is awesome.

monicanelsonfitness October 30, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Now that is the treat for me- It is perfect. Too cute too.

Rock On Heather- Glad you made it to Yoga, good for you. :)

Have a great Halloween and just think next year, the lil one will be all dressed up. ;)

HEAB October 30, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Monica,
I know – I can’t wait to take the HEABlet trick-or-treating next year! :)

Mimi (Gingersnaps) October 30, 2010 at 4:38 pm

These look very favorable to my lack of baking skills. Thanks for sharing!

And rotisserie chicken is awesome.

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad October 30, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Ooo must make that cupcake. I probably wouldn’t use sweetener either, and I would use butter or ghee for the oil.

Enjoy your rotiss!! (That’s what we call them in our house.)

HEAB October 30, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Maggie,
You’ll love the cupcake – so simple. Unfortunately, I didn’t get my rotiss today, but I will definitely be having one tomorrow! :)

chocolate-covered katie October 30, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Oh Heather, how much do I love you? More than pumpkin!! Hehe that’s a LOT :) .
And I am so going to try your genius microwave idea tomorrow. There are so many cupcake flavor ideas I want to try, and using the microwave for faster cupcakes is seriously just going to mean even more fun!
P.S. I made a cupcake with my chocolate butter the other day… you should try your chocolate-coconut butter on top of one. Soooooooo good!! But then again, when is chocolate ever anything but good?
Anywhoos, for the millionth time: You are the awesomest, HEAB! :)

HEAB October 30, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Katie,
Probably about as much as I love you. :) Chocolate coconut butter frosting? Um, yes, I will be trying that and very soon. Happy Halloween Katie!

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast October 30, 2010 at 6:34 pm

I LOVE your single cornbread muffin idea! I’m definitely going to try that. No sugar and super fast – perfect!

HEAB October 30, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Emily,
Yes, it was perfect, especially with butter and cinnamon. :)

Christin L. October 30, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I have been meaning to try that muffin as well… maybe this week! :)

A Teenage Gourmet October 30, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Heather, I found a place just like Sweet CeCe’s close to my home (It’s called Orange Leaf)! I’m so thrilled that the fro-yo craze has made it to Kentucky, even if it’s about 5 years late. ;) Your little muffin looks delish! Happy Halloween Heather!

HEAB October 30, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Sami,
So exciting, and just so you know, there are 5 frozen yogurt establishments within walking distance of Vanderbilt’s campus. However, no pressure. ;) Enjoy your Orange Leaf and Happy Halloween to you as well!

kathleen October 30, 2010 at 8:40 pm

that is a tiny bowl of ice cream! i would need like 8 servings… lol.

HEAB October 30, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Kathleen,
Not photographed were the 2 scoops I ate directly from the carton. ;)

Kristen @ Makingourway October 30, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Thanks for the shout-out!! Hey did you know that there is a Sweet Cece’s in Hendersonville now? :)

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 8:45 am

Kristen,
Oh – you must go. You will love Sweet CeCe’s. Went again last night, and the Belle Meade location now has Snickerdoodle and coffee flavors on tap. Mmm, I was in heaven. :)

Amy October 30, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Good to know those muffins for one can be done in the microwave! Yum!!

And I desperately need to you stop talking about rotisserie chicken. Every time you talk about it I *need* to have it and keep buying them :P The husband’s starting to wonder why I keep craving chicken ;)

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 8:44 am

Amy,
Hehe – sorry about that. I’m getting tired of running out to get them every time the craving hits and plan on buying 2 today. Heck, I should probably just buy 3. :)

Amy October 31, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Don’t worry, once you have the HEABlet, you’ll probably won’t look at a rotisserie chicken for years! I ate nothing but chinese fried rice with my first, lunch and dinner, almost every day of the week. I couldn’t get enough of it.

It took me 5 years after I had her (and another pregnancy) before I could even think about it without feeling sick!

(And yes, 3 is probably a good idea ;) )

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Amy,
Good to know – we bought a huge chicken at Costco today and I’ve devoured about half of it myself. I really should just start roasting my own. So funny about the Chinese fried rice…but yeah, that actually sounds really good right about now. :)

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly October 31, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Hilarious idea to just nuke the ingredients!!! I love little ideas for making desserts for one, since it’s just this guy that will be eating it, no matter how many are produced. :-p I can’t wait to try the gooey creation.

Sophie November 1, 2010 at 4:22 am

Waw!! Your pumpkin cornmeal muffins look just perfect!! I am going to make them for my home made curried veggie & pumpkin soup!

MMMMMMMMM,..You also have a cool blog! Many greetings dfrom a foodie from Brussels, Belgium!

HEAB November 1, 2010 at 8:56 am

Hi Sophie! Wow, all the way from Brussels? I’m honored. Hope you enjoy the pumpkin cornmeal muffins. So easy, and I have no doubt they would taste fabulous with your curried veggie and pumpkin soup! :)

Namaste Gurl November 1, 2010 at 11:44 pm

For the cornbread version, think I could use corn grits (polenta) or corn flour instead of cornmeal? As I’ve said in the past, I have A LOT of corn flour :)

By the way, sometime in the future, i’d love to send you my tortilla flattener to try and borrow– it makes perfect, thin tortillas! Not sure if your still on your corn kick though :)

HEAB November 2, 2010 at 12:00 am

Namaste Gurl,
Not sure, but I think the corn flour would work. Let me know if you try, and just so you know, I don’t think the corn kick will ever end. :)

{ 4 trackbacks }