Applesauce Oaties

by HEAB on October 31, 2010

We received another very thoughtful gift for the HEABlet…and her parents too. :)

Emilia, my favorite Namaste Gurl sent the HEABlet this adorable apron (although, I think with leggings and a little onesie, it would make a really cute dress!) and some local goodies from her hometown of Santa Cruz, including apples from her own backyard. Thanks so much sweet Emilia!

I knew immediately what I would do with the apples…

IMG_6469.JPG IMG_6470.JPG

Susan’s Homemade Applesauce

Emilia, the apples were so good – I took a few bites while chopping, so sweet and crisp. Perfect for applesauce!

First applesauce recipe? HEABified Oaties. Yep, sometimes even my own recipes need a little HEAB touch. ;)

I LOVE these cookies. They probably aren’t something I’d make for friends as they are not very sweet, but they’re perfect for me. Love the blend of spices too.

The plan for breakfast was some kind of applesauce pancake, but honestly, I’m just not very hungry this morning. So, in honor Pancake Sunday, I’ll leave you with a favorite pancake recipe from a few months ago. Enjoy and Happy Halloween!

Cherry Frosted Pancakes (Gluten and Dairy Free, Low Carb)

Jessica @ How Sweet October 31, 2010 at 9:28 am

That apron is so cute! And the pancakes look divine.

Meg October 31, 2010 at 9:29 am

That apron is TOO cute :D how sweet!

Hope you get your appetite back by next Sunday to celebrate Pancake Sunday :D in the mean time, enjoy those oaties! Sometimes you just need a pick-me-up that isn’t loaded with sweetness, I feel ya!

Happy Sunday, Heather!

Little Bookworm October 31, 2010 at 9:33 am

The cherry frosted pancakes look amazing! Lovely gift for the HEABlet as well. :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood October 31, 2010 at 9:37 am

Adorable, love the apron! And those pancakes look great :)

Kristina @ spabettie October 31, 2010 at 9:39 am

I cannot wait to see the apron on!! :D

I made applesauce yesterday – those oaties look delicious – I may have to make those NOW !

grocery goddess jen October 31, 2010 at 9:56 am

Don’t worry, I had a pancake for you this morning, smothered in coconut butter! Before you know it the HEABlet will be here and celebrating, too.

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Thanks Jen. :)

Melissa @ TryingToHeal October 31, 2010 at 10:00 am

hahaha…when i first read the title i thought it said asparagus oaties! And my first thought: yeah, heather would do that. hahahaha…oh man, and it’s 8am! you’d think i’d be awake!

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Melissa,
Yep, sounds like something I would do. ;) Happy Halloween!

Nicole (Picky Nicky) October 31, 2010 at 10:03 am

What a cute gift :)
If I hadn’t JUST finished eating breakfast, I would’ve totally celebrated pancake sunday! Actually, who says you can’t have pancakes for lunch?!

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Nicole,
Or dinner. ;)

Kim October 31, 2010 at 10:05 am

Your oaties remind me of these:

You HAVE to try this recipe. I keep a batch in the freezer at all times. In my most recent batch I subbed 1/2 cup pumpkin for 1/2 cup of the banana, which was a fantastic idea and made them slightly less sweet.

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Kim,
Oh yum – just bookmarked the recipe. Definitely has name written all over it, and no HEABifications required…although I like your idea pumpkin idea. Thanks for sharing! :)

e m l October 31, 2010 at 10:21 am

What’s the white drizzle?! And I assume you toast oats by putting them on a sheet in the oven for a bit?

Lovely apron!

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 1:01 pm

EML,
The white drizzle is coconut butter, and yep, I toast the oats on a foil lined baking sheet in a 350 toaster oven. When I start to smell them, usually means they’re done. :)

Ken Ebacher October 31, 2010 at 10:32 am

Hi Heather! Can’t wait to try this pancake recipe! Yum! By the way, re applesauce, another easy way to make applesauce is to puree the apples (cored or core-and-all) in a high power blender such as my Vita-mix blender. Give it a try!

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Ken,
I like the core-and-all idea as I’m lazy. Will try your Vita-Mix method next time. Thx! :)

Namaste Gurl October 31, 2010 at 10:34 am

Awwwwwh, Heather– I feel so honored that you loved my gift :-) I’m super excited it worked out and i’m sure the HEABlet will look GREAT in it!

Let me know how the applesauce worked out. You definitely inspired me to make applesauce since as you can see, my tree is overflowing!

LOVE YOU :)

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Namaste,
Applesauce turned out great and so simple. Definitely worth a try. :)

Katie October 31, 2010 at 11:09 am

The HEABlet is going to be the most stylish little girl out there!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 31, 2010 at 11:18 am

What a sweetie for sending you that package! I <3 the apron!

Melissa @ For the Love of Health October 31, 2010 at 11:43 am

Oh wow- homemade anything is awesome!
Plus the apron is adorable! :-)

Christin L. October 31, 2010 at 11:53 am

I have been toying around with the idea of making my own applesauce or apple butter or something similar… haven’t had enough time lately… massage therapy school and working full-time is eating up my “free time.” I love school though!

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Christin,
The applesauce was so easy. Hope you find some time to try it soon, and I’m so happy to hear you’re enjoying school! :)

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast October 31, 2010 at 11:53 am

Haha, a lot of my “treats” can’t be made for company either. I have to ask my husband to taste things – I think something’s totally sweet, but he keeps me in check when serving to others!

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Emily,
Yes, husbands are good for that. After my applesauce oaties yesterday, CD took one look at them and requested a batch of the original recipe. :)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free October 31, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Oh! I love homemade applesauce!!! I once went to a friend’s organic apple orchard, and she gave me three huge bagfulls of apples! I made applejuice and applesauce like crazy! I should have made apple oaties, too ;)

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Alex,
It’s not too late – apples are still in season. ;)

Ana October 31, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I made applesauce this week too, for the third consecutive week. We have been getting tons of apples on our csa box lately, and they are just as you described, sweet and crisp. I have made apple muffins, apple cake and applesauce, and we haven’t gotten tired of it yet. I pureed mine in the vitamix so it was smooth and so creamy, really delicious.
And talking about delicious, I made a pumpkin goat cheese sauce inspired on your soup/sauce post Heather! It turned out really good, but I did my own thing, so I posted it on my blog and linked it to your blog for the original idea. I made mine with broth, added cinnamon, nutmeg and sage, plus shallots and garlic, and I didn’t use any kind of flour, the sauce thickened on its own. Yes, as you can see, quite a different thing, but the idea totally came from you!! I think sage goes so good with pumpkin, and the cinnamon was actually a trial that ended up successful, I wasn’t sure it would be good or not, thank goodness it was!
Now, those oaties look really yummy, my kind of a Halloween treat!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) October 31, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I am loving coconut butter these days. It really is the perfect frosting for oatmeal and I am totalllly making those pancakes, perhaps with a pumpkin twist :) Love that apron too- I have one for anthropologie and I swear I can pass it off as a dress. There might be quite a show from the backside though !

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Felicia,
Yeah, I think the HEABlet would have an easier time walking around in a onesie + apron than you might. Hehe. And YES, coconut butter = best frosting ever! :)

Melissa @ I Never Imagined October 31, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Happy Halloween! Think of all the exciting Halloweens to come with the HEABlet! Very exciting!
P.S- Your oaties look amazing!

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Melissa,
I know – we can’t wait. Already thinking of possible costumes for next year. :)

Kimberly October 31, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Hi Heather :)
First of all your panckaes look fabulous!!! It has been way too long since I have had pancakes! Secondly, I WILL make it to the post office tomorrow if it’s the last thing or only thing I get done!!!!!!!!! Happy Sunday!

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Kimberly,
Again, no worries. Still have some almond flour I’m working my way through – so take your time. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 31, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I totally missed those pancakes…I gloss over most pancakes b/c they are either dairy/egg/gluten offenders but omg those look soooo good!

When I was pregnant w/ Skylar, I bought Mommy & Me aprons from Anthropologie to fit about a 3-4 yr old little girl. I just couldnt pass it up. Fast forward to today, nearly 5 yrs after those apron purchases, and I’ve never used them! I am terrible…I have like 5 aprons and never wear them. I forget to put them on and well, I guess I am just not that messy? I need to break out the aprons before Skylar outgrows hers, though LOL

The cookies…those are perfect! I would sugar them up more :) but already vegan and GF. Job well done, Miss Heather!!

Happy Hween!!!!

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Averie,
Just got the baby swing (per your rec.) put together. Hating those allen wrenches more and more! ;)

Natalia - a side of simple October 31, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I want that apron :) and those pancakes…

Lorne @ ladybugbeauty October 31, 2010 at 2:49 pm

oh dear Heather… it is breakfast time, I am here and I just spotted your pancake photo…. Lorne is off to the kitchen :0)

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Lorne,
I knew you’d be back for breakfast. ;)

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather October 31, 2010 at 3:30 pm

The stack of cakes look delicious. Such pretty presentation.

BroccoliHut October 31, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Super-cute apron!!
Love the looks of those pancakes too–I have some frozen cherries that I need to use up…

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) October 31, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Those pancakes looks amazing! I could totally go for a stack or two right now, LOL. :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 31, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I love the apron — and the card looks adorable as well!

We didnt’ celebrate pancake Sunday — I was too lazy this morning to mess with anything too “complicated” like pancakes. But we still need to have dinner…

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com October 31, 2010 at 4:56 pm

just wanted to quickly say HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!! have a wonderful night Heather!! <3

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Same to you Kelsey. :)

Eleanor October 31, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Wow it’s that spooky thing again (perfect, given the date!) I made apple sauce today as I had a load of bargain apples… and used some of it to make apple sauce/oat granola! Going to try these oaties too though…
The apron’s adorable – bet you can’t wait x

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Eleanor,
We CANNOT wait – just packed my bag for the hospital. Can’t believe it’s almost time. :) Enjoy your applesauce/oat granola. :)

melissa @ the delicate place October 31, 2010 at 5:58 pm

thank you so much for the cherry GF/DF pancakes. they are perfect for how i eat! genius!

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Melissa,
You’re welcome. Enjoy. :)

Rachael October 31, 2010 at 6:50 pm

I’m a big fan of aprons in general (just made a leather one – very Asheville :) ) but a baby apron might be the cutest thing I’ve seen in a long time!

HEAB October 31, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Rachael,
A leather apron? Nice. :)

Susan October 31, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Homemade applesauce and store-bought are two different foods in my opinion. No way the store bought stuff can even compare to the crazy deliciousness that is homemade. Now I want to make another big batch. And oaties. And pancakes.

Thanks a lot Heather :P

HEAB November 1, 2010 at 9:39 am

Hehe, sorry Susan…however, those all sound like good cravings to me. :)

charlotte October 31, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I would totally use that apron as a dress! It’s adorable!! And I have to tell you I made your HEABified almond joys and they are divine. Soooo good! Thank you!

HEAB November 1, 2010 at 9:40 am

Charlotte,
You’re welcome, but I have to give CD all the credit for the almond joys. Love that boy. :)

Sophie November 1, 2010 at 4:27 am

The apron is really cute & pretty too!

Your oats cookies look amazing & must taste awesome & your gf pancakes look stunning! I must try these 2 wonderful recipes! Greetings from a foodie from Brussels, Belgium!

Thanks!

HEAB November 1, 2010 at 9:38 am

Sophie,
I can’t stop eating those Oaties – Love them. Definitely worth a try, especially with some dark Belgian chocolate! :)

MizFit November 1, 2010 at 5:55 am

IM GETTING SO SO SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!

HEAB November 1, 2010 at 9:35 am

Thanks Miz…we are too. So anxious! :)

Michele @ Healthy Cultivations November 1, 2010 at 7:07 am

That homemade applesauce looks really good and easy to make too. It’s going on my To Do list.

HEAB November 1, 2010 at 9:35 am

Michele,
It was – enjoy! :)

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen) November 1, 2010 at 7:17 am

One Sunday morning, you’re going to be sitting around, having a nice relaxing breakfast and hear a knock on the door. You’ll poke out and think, who is this crazy woman in an assortment of coloured clothing banging on the door?. And it will be me, showing up for Pancake Sunday.

HEAB November 1, 2010 at 9:35 am

Meghan,
You’re welcome on our doorstep anytime. Just bring chocolate. :)

polly November 1, 2010 at 7:21 am

hi love. Gosh, it’s getting so CLOSE Heather! Those cherry pancakes look SO yummy, by the way.

Hey sweetie, I want to use almond flour/meal. Please tell me your favorite way to use it, gonna get crazy over here and give her a whirl. :P

Forgot to tell you…

After our GOAT MILK ICE CREAM trial on Saturday (so yummy) Dan and I both felt SICK as can be. Sour belly, nauseated…. blech. Oh well, at least we have GOAT CHEESE love. :D I love trying new stuff, anyways.

LURVE YOU.

Had fun trick or treating.. yup, Ab got plenty of ALMOND JOYS… happy girl, my little Taylor Swift. ;) XO

HEAB November 1, 2010 at 9:34 am

Polly,
So sorry you both reacted badly to the goat milk ice-cream, and yes, just stick to the cheese and maybe some coconut milk ice-cream. :) I highly recommend Elana’s Pantry for almond flour recipes: http://www.elanaspantry.com/. I have her cookbook, and it’s wonderful. I also have a few pancakes recipes on my recipe page: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/
LURVE YOU TOO! :)

Lindsey @ Enjoying Healthy Foods November 1, 2010 at 7:31 am

HEAB – This weekend I was watching a food channel and thought of you… Justine’s Almond butter was going to be on that night. An inside look on how it is made (and where!)

Maybe you were able to catch it… I do not remember what channel I saw it on. Maybe it hasn’t aired yet and it is not too late!!!!

Love the sweet little dress for HEABlet!

HEAB November 1, 2010 at 9:31 am

LIndsey,
Really? Hmm, I’ll have to do a search and see if I can DVR it. Some friends and I were going to visit the Justin’s facilities in Boulder, but the trip got cancelled. :( Love that company! :)

Nikki November 1, 2010 at 12:11 pm

That apron is stinking adorable, and you definitely should put it with some leggings and a onesie so she can rock it as a dress.

Those pancakes look SO good too!

Necia November 1, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Hi There,
Im going around today, delurking, telling all my favorite bloggers, that Im out there reading their blog, and I absolutely LOVE IT! Thanks for allowing me an outlet to help past time.

HEAB November 1, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Necia,
Oh wow – thanks for delurking and letting me know. Your comment made my day. :)

Alyssa November 1, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I love “Alyssa-fying” my own recipes! I like my recipes a lot, so why not take something wonderful and make it AWESOME! :-)

HEAB November 1, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Alyssa,
Agreed! :)

Pure2raw twins November 2, 2010 at 7:23 am

Cherry frosted pancakes??? on my now I just might have to go to the store and get myself some cherries!

HEAB November 2, 2010 at 8:34 am

Pure2Raw,
Yes, go…right now! :)

Erica W August 26, 2011 at 9:57 am

I am confused… are the Oaties supposed to be cooked/baked??

HEAB August 26, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Erica,
Yes, sorry for the confusion. The baking instructions are on the original Oaties post – 9 to 11 minutes in a 325 degree oven. :)

Erica W August 26, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Thank you… I tried looking for it, but you have so many different flavors I wasn’t sure which one to look at… they all look so yummy!

I heard about you today from Ginger Lemon Girl’s email newsletter… so glad I did! YUM!

{ 3 trackbacks }