You Scream, I Scream…Oh just be quiet and hand over the scooper!

by HEAB on November 3, 2010

HEAB here, but I’m thinking of going by HEIC this week as all I want is ice-cream, ice-cream, ice-cream. I am not big on dairy, and you can read why here. However, it’s all I want these days, and I’m just going with it, especially since CD came home with the following when he did the grocery shopping on Sunday. It was on sale. :)

5 half gallons of ice-cream. I love my husband!

I tried sticking to the non-dairy coconut milk versions, but really, what 9-month pregnant woman with SERIOUS ice-cream cravings can afford that stuff?!? It’s almost $6 a pint which would add up to $24 for a half gallon. That’s just wrong. I’m also not digging my protein ice-cream so much these days. So, I’m just eating the real deal, but sticking to the full fat all natural versions. Check out the ingredients in the Harris Teeter all natural line

Can’t really beat that.

Yesterday’s ice-cream consumption included a cup of frozen yogurt from Sweet CeCe’s with my friend Jill. They now have Irish mint and chocolate swirl available, which I topped with a couple of chocolate covered almonds. OK, so there were more almonds involved, but I ate them straight from the dispenser. Shhh, don’t tell.

IMG_6516.JPG IMG_6515.JPG

Jill, baker of my favorite banana bread, was kind enough to bring me the results from her latest muffin baking adventures. Thanks Jill!

Pumpkin and banana walnut muffins. Jill, they are both delicious!

Guess what l ate post dinner?

Warm banana walnut muffin + vanilla ice-cream in the waning PB jar

Ice-cream is so good, but when I eat it, I only want more. It never fills me up either because I woke up at 2:30 AM hungry and ate a leftover burger and some veggies from dinner. I usually eat a small bowl of oat bran before going to bed as it helps me sleep like nothing else, but it never sounds as good as ice-cream these days. :)

What’s your favorite store bought brand of ice-cream?

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg November 3, 2010 at 9:49 am

Oh my goodness, having that much ice cream in my house at one time would be DANGEROUS!!! :-)

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger November 3, 2010 at 9:52 am

Your husband is a GOOD MAN! Wow, 5 gallons of ice cream. He should be a patron saint of pregnant women’s cravings! HAHA!

Gosh, I love that idea of putting a muffin + ice cream in a waning nut butter jar. Oh man, hurry up, Hubbs and eat the rest of that PB so I can do that, too (in 2.5 weeks, of course! ;)

My favorite kind of ice cream in the whole wide world is Handel’s…oh wait, that is not store bought…unless you go to the Handel’s stand. Um, I don’t know what other store brand is the best because, honestly, everything else pales in comparison to Handel’s. I should name my first born Handel’s….eh, maybe not:)

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Talia,
I actually think Handel would make a cool name. Everyone would think your baby is named after the composer and not the ice-cream though. ;) 2.5 weeks? Wow, it’s coming up fast – you’re going to do awesome! :)

Kiran November 3, 2010 at 9:53 am

I scream for ice-cream :D I love anything and everything ice-cream. Particularly gelato’s from Penguin’s Paradise here in Orlando.. YUM!

allison @ livingoneday November 3, 2010 at 9:54 am

how about a big bowl of oat bran with ice cream on top???

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Allison,
Well, I actually prefer oats on top of my ice-cream: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/01/04/first-workout-of-the-month/ :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday November 3, 2010 at 9:54 am

One time I left my Chapman’s ice cream in the sink overnight and it didn’t even melt. It’ turned gummy!
Maybe because it’s ingredients are
Cream, Modified Milk Ingredients, Sugar, Glucose, Mono and Diglycerides, Locust Bean Gum, Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Natural and Artificial Flavour

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Samantha,
That’s scary.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 3, 2010 at 9:54 am

It’s for the HEABlet! Sometimes as parents, we have to choose our battles. So, for now, she wins! Ice cream it is! I was always more of a frozen yogurt gal and I loved Publix vanilla frozen yogurt with Kashi Go Lean Crunch on top and peanut butter.

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Sarena,
Yep, it’s all for the HEABlet. Tough job, but someone’s gotta eat all that ice-cream. ;)

Dorry November 3, 2010 at 9:54 am

I agree about the ridiculously expensive pints of coconut milk ice cream…it’s a rare treat at a price like that. :) My favorite childhood memories are of Blue Bell Ice Cream – homemade vanilla with Hershey’s chocolate syrup OR cookies n’ cream….or mint chocolate chip…the list could go on and on. :)

Rachel November 3, 2010 at 11:16 am

Blue Bell is hands down my favorite! I grew up in TN and was a huge fan of Mayfield’s ice cream until I met my hubby who is from TX. My dad has even converted to Blue Bell from Mayfield’s, which was a really big deal. Homemade Vanilla is my favorite, followed closely by Pecan Pralines n’ Cream.

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Rachel,
Every few years, Blue Bell comes out with a Cookie Cookie Cookie flavor, and it’s amazing. If you ever see it, but it and buy lots!

Rachel November 4, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Sounds really good. Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll be on the lookout for it now!

Sandy November 3, 2010 at 4:57 pm

BLUE BELL! We just got it here in Indiana in the spring, but I try not to get started because a normal serving just always sends me back to dip a little bit more. I am much better off going out for a kid’s dish of Ritter’s Frozen Custard.

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie November 3, 2010 at 9:56 am

I like Haagen Dazs Vanilla and Organic Meadow ice cream. Naturally, though, the organic stuff costs a million dollars.

I also get ravenous after eating ice cream – it’s a natural consequence of the ensuing Sugar Coma. But totally worth it.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete November 3, 2010 at 9:59 am

I vote for CD as husband of the year — I might even submit 2 votes if he would call Jason and tell him to pick me up 5 1/2 gallons of ice cream :)

We don’t get ice cream much, but I really like Edy’s slow churned cookies and cream — that is my favorite! Chock full of sugar and who knows what else, it tastes great!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Holly,
Never met a cookies and cream flavor of ice-cream I didn’t like. Definitely one of my favorites, and I love how Edy’s for their chunkage factor. :)

Jessica @ How Sweet November 3, 2010 at 10:00 am

I love my market’s locally sold gelato. SO GOOD!

Cailin @ Stir Crazy November 3, 2010 at 10:01 am

I want ice cream all the time and I don’t have pregnancy to blame! It’s a great excuse to say, “screw it, I’m just going to eat what I want!” :) I’ve never heard of that ice cream, is that local to you? I love that it has none of the added stuff. I just found an ice cream made local to me by Batch, who uses local, organic and fair trade ingredients, and they make it from scratch http://batchicecream.com/ I just downed the chocolate flavor last week! Mmmm!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Cailin,
Yeah, that’s kind of been my motto this week. I try and eat the good stuff to and lots of it, but I’m at the point where I’m just totally giving in to all of my cravings, and it’s quite fun. :) Never heard of Batch. I’ll take a batch of the cinnamon & chocolate bits. Heck, I’ll take a pint of each flavor. :)

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Cailin,
P.S. Harris Teeter is a grocery store chain in the Southeast, and that’s their generic brand of ice-cream.

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com November 3, 2010 at 10:03 am

I love the title!! Irish mint and chocolate are my favorite combo!! Good job CD!! My husband has to take me for ice cream at least once a week:)

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Janae,
Isn’t mint chocolate the best? Sweet but refreshing. You can never go wrong with that combo! :)

Carbzilla November 3, 2010 at 10:04 am

CD knows you’re not getting your tonsils out, right? ;)

(PS We are going to miss you like crazy at Foodbuzz Fest! It really feels like you should be there, but, of course, we all know you have the best excuse in the world!)

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Carbzilla,
Haha – yeah, he knows. Thanks so much for letting me know I’ll be missed at Foodbuzz. The festivities looked amazing last year, and I’m hoping to be there in 2011! Please tell everyone HEAB says “Hi”. :)

Steph - VegFortWorth November 3, 2010 at 10:05 am

I love the So Delicious coconut ice cream–any flavor is chocoalte and/or peanut butter will do. But like you said, it’s darn expensive. I usually just make banana ice cream: frozen bananas + a little almond milk + food processor = heaven! You can blend in cocoa powder or peanut butter or whatever to flavor it.

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Steph,
Mmm, I love my food processor for that very reason. :)

lara November 3, 2010 at 10:06 am

I use a Cuisinart Ice cream maker ($49) and make our own ice cream! Ingredients…….milk, cream, sugar and vanilla….imagine. Whip it all together and pour it in the mixer…voila! 30 minutes later, wonderful softserve ice cream. if you prefer it hardened, just pop it in the freezer. Awesome!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Lara,
We have a Cuisinart ice-cream maker as well, but I’ve just gotten lazy. I really should make my own more often – it’s nice being able to control the ingredients too. Thanks for the reminder and encouragement. Perhaps when current our stash is depleted, I’ll make a batch of homemade coconut milk ice-cream. :)

Christin L. November 3, 2010 at 10:06 am

Go CD!! You’ve got me craving a big old bowl now too! :)

Kristina @ spabettie November 3, 2010 at 10:06 am

I love impressive ingredient lists like that!!

CD is pretty awesome to bring you all of that <3

…maybe oat bran ON TOP of the ice cream?? :D

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:04 pm
Kristina @ spabettie November 3, 2010 at 3:20 pm

<3 <3 <3 !

once again, great minds… :D

rebecca lustig November 3, 2010 at 10:08 am

I have a feeling that when I’m pregnant I’m going to want ice cream and pickles and mustard all.the.time. haha

i actually enjoy turkey hill’s all natural line! dleicious and inexpensive :)

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Rebecca,
Never hear of Turkey Hill – I’ll be on the lookout for it, and yes, the ice-cream, pickles, and mustard cravings are REAL. I’ve never craved them all together, but each one has been making lots of appearances in my meals these past 9 months. :)

Brandae November 3, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I think Turkey Hill is a Kroger brand.

Amanda Y. November 3, 2010 at 7:48 pm

No, it’s its own line from PA! My home state! Love them (they are sold at Kroger, but elsewhere too!)

polly November 3, 2010 at 10:09 am

mmmmm. CD is the MAN.

My vote is hands down Maggie Moos peanut butter ice cream with banana chunks stirred in. Head on over there today, muh peach.

2nd place is Maggie Moos butter pecan with REAL pecans stirred in. Oh heavens, maybe that is first place. I cannot decide.

LURVE YOU!!!!

I used to go get big scoops of ice cream on a cone at a little locally owned dairy place. My faves were/are peppermint and lemon. Not together. :P

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Polly,
Peppermint ice-cream is by far one of my favorite flavors. In fact, an easy-peasy holiday dessert (and always a big hit!) is a batch of chocolate rice krispie treats pressed into to 2 pie dishes and filled with peppermint ice-cream. Top with cool whip and a drizzle of chocolate syrup…maybe some crushed up peppermints and freeze. People go CRAZY over it. :)

You realize I live within walking distance of a Maggie Moo’s as well as TWO Sweet Cece’s. ;)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free November 3, 2010 at 10:09 am

I used to love ice cream-i especially liked mint or coffee (and of course, cookie dough!). But…..I don’t eat sugar and I don’t eat dairy any more! Oh well, I love my banana ice cream :)

Kert May 5, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I’m not eslaiy impressed. . . but that’s impressing me! :)

BethT November 3, 2010 at 10:10 am

I had major dairy cravings in the final few weeks/month of pregnancy, as well – and it has continued with breastfeeding. Sometimes I just want to chug a giant glass of milk!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:11 pm

BethT,
Me too, and I have not craved milk like that in years! I’ve been downing glass after glass of coconut milk, but some days, I’m tempted to just go buy a half gallon or whole cow’s milk and guzzle it. Good to know I’m not the only one. How’s the breastfeeding going? Well I hope!

BethT November 3, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Breastfeeding is going well – almost to the 2 week mark and getting better each day! One thing I will tell you if no one else has – don’t be surprised if the lactation consultants have you start pumping right away, either in the hospital or at home. I was TOTALLY unprepared for this and hadn’t even set up my breast pump yet! They helped me learn to use it (quickly), and I had to do this to help get my supply up. I got into a nice rhythm but it was a bit of a surprise to start doing that as soon as I got home and I was trying to adjust to everything else.

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:57 pm

BethT,
Ahh, so confused. I keep hearing/reading conflicting info. Most people have told me not to start pumping until about 4 to 6 weeks as it will cause too much milk production if I pumped any earlier. However, I guess we’ll all different, and I’ll get it figured out. So happy to hear it’s going well for you. Nursing is one of the things I’m looking forward to the most as I hear it’s such an amazing bonding experience for mama and baby. Plus, it’s just so good for them. Can’t wait. :)

betht November 3, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Oh sorry to confuse! I had heard the same thing which is why I was surprised, but my little one had some latching problems so they were concerned about getting my milk to come in. I’m not doing it anymore, thankfully! I hope you will avoid it altogether with the HEABlet ;)

polly November 3, 2010 at 10:11 am

p.s. The reason I said were/are… is because that little dairy place long ago closed, but it was a wonderful child hood memory. :D

Little Bookworm November 3, 2010 at 10:13 am

That ice cream looks amazing, especially that mint and chocolate swirl. Yum. :)

Corey @ the runner's cookie November 3, 2010 at 10:16 am

If there’s any “best” time to go with your cravings it must be pregnancy! I fully believe that your body tells you what it wants. I am *trying* to eat a little less dairy (for a few reasons – some of which you mention in the “you’re going to give up greek yogurt” post) but I love ice cream and froyo! We usually buy whatever brand is on sale, but I tend to like Bryer’s the best

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Corey,
I agree. I figure if I’m craving ice-cream this badly, now is definitely the time to enjoy it, and trust me, I am! :) We buy Breyer’s as well. Their all natural vanilla has a simple list of ingredients similar to the Harris Teeter brand in this post. They’re probably actually the same ice-cream, just with a different label. :)

lindsay (goodiesgalore November 3, 2010 at 10:18 am

I would kill my bf if her came home with that much ice cream. he’d be a dead man… though maybe it would be different if I was preggy.

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Lindsay,
Yes, my pre-pregnant self would have definitely frowned upon 5 half gallons of ice-cream in our freezer. ;)

Kelly November 3, 2010 at 10:28 am

I love the Eddy’s brand and my husband loves Blue Bell.

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Kelly,
I love both, especially Blue Bell!

Shelby November 3, 2010 at 10:29 am

What a great hubby CD is! (:

Matt November 3, 2010 at 10:31 am

So Delicious coconut milk is a staple in my house. The Whole Foods brand is awesome as well ;)

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Matt,
Trust me, if I could afford the So Delicious stuff on a regular basis, I would keep it stockpiled! Oh, and happy to hear you’re able to enjoy your cheese nowadays. :)

Victoria (District Chocolate) November 3, 2010 at 10:34 am

Turkey Hill Party Cake – http://www.turkeyhill.com/products/premium-ice-cream-flavors.aspx?pID=148 – but I can only buy it when I find it in a very small size. It’s just that good.

Also, the next time you whip up some chocolate coconut butter, you could use a Lindt 85% dark bar, take some pics, and enter this contest: http://blog.lindtusa.com/lindt-dessert-recipe-contest-nov/

You would TOTALLY win.

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Victoria,
Someone else mentioned Turkey Hill, but I’ve never heard of it…and the damage I could do to that Party Cake flavor…buttercream frosting?!? I want! Oh, and thanks for the Lindt contest link. Just entered. :)

Victoria (District Chocoholic) November 3, 2010 at 9:32 pm

So awesome that you entered! I will have to check up on results.

Yeah, the buttercream frosting whipped into the ice cream, along with the cake chunks, are a problem for me. I can only balance out treats with veggies so much…

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather November 3, 2010 at 10:44 am

Tillamook ice cream (a local brand) is so creamy and delicious. Definitely a treat when I eat it.

Melanie November 3, 2010 at 10:48 am

I’m mostly a plain-vanilla girl (I prefer the kind with the flecks from the beans, though), and Harris Teeter has a GREAT vanilla (even better with a spoonful of TJ’s PB flour). However, sometimes I’ll be all about the cookie-dough flavors (although I’m just as good with a bowl of vanilla with an un-cooked break-and-bake cookie on it).

I will say, though…I don’t know if you’ve had the coffee-flavored HT ice cream, but I wasn’t a fan. The coffee tasted too fake for me.

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Melanie,
CD busted open the coffee last night – I had a bite or two, but didn’t really get a good taste…probably because I was too busy going to town on the vanilla. As much as I love my chocolate in all forms, there is just something so good about a really good vanilla bean ice-cream! I’ve got some peanut flour and need to try your combo…too bad I don’t have any un-cooked break and bake cookies. ;(

Marisa @ Loser for Life November 3, 2010 at 10:48 am

LOL @ your cravings! They were way better than mine when I was pregnant – orange soda and cheese! Funny that the daughters HATE both of them! Guess they got enough in utero :)

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Marisa,
That is funny. I wonder if the HEABlet will hate ice-cream? I hope not – who would I take to Sweet CeCe’s with me?!? ;)

Carrie S. November 3, 2010 at 10:52 am

Oh if I had the freezer space, sales on ice cream would be dangerous :-) My favorite store bought brand is Blue Bell, but I can’t get that in Chicago, boo. I also love Blue Bunny Bunny Tracks (or Bunny Poop, as my mom and I call it). Vanilla ice cream w/ a PB fudge swirl and PB filled chocolate bunnies…so freakin’ good!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Carrie,
I love Blue Bell, and I’ve had the Blue Bunny Bunny Poop. Good stuff. ;)

Marina November 3, 2010 at 10:54 am

Mhm, ice cream… 5 galons sound perfect :)
I really would like to try ice cream on top of oatmeal, that sounds great

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Marina,
Oatmeal on top of ice-cream is just as good: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/01/04/first-workout-of-the-month/. ;)

Erin November 3, 2010 at 10:54 am

I’m glad you’re indulging the Heablet. I mean, really, it’s not like you’re 9 months pregnant everyday!
I never really crave ice cream, but I am in love with malts! I wish I could eat one at least once a week.

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Erin,
I’ve heard that malted beverages help bring on labor, and I plan on buying a container of malted powder to make my own malts if the HEABlet is late. LOVE them too!

anne November 3, 2010 at 10:55 am

The all natural vanilla from Great Value (the house brand at Wal-Mart) is fantastic! And less then $3 for a half gallon.

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Anne – thanks for the tip. That’s a great deal!

Josie November 3, 2010 at 10:56 am

i love mayfield! caramel coyote was awesome, but i don’t think they make it anymore. i ate a lot of moosetracks as a kid.
i also love purity o’charley’s caramel pie in the pint, which i have seen all over nashville! *hint*hint*hint!!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Josie,
Ah yes, Purity’s Caramel Pie…that is good stuff, and I haven’t had it in years! Hmm, might need to do the grocery shopping myself next weekend. ;)

Emily November 3, 2010 at 10:57 am

Ahhh the icecream cravings crack me up :) i don’t know what I’ll do if thats what I crave some day because I am dairy free…I’m sure it will rear its head in some form though. Enjoy the simple pleasures while you can!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Thanks Emily – I plan on it. You’ll have to invest in an ice-cream maker someday. We’ve got one, and I really want to experiment more with making my own coconut milk version.

Lynn November 3, 2010 at 10:57 am

Breyer’s has a low-carb vanilla that is wonderful!!!! I like that it’s lower in sugar than the regular kind. I top it with nuts and cinnamon. Soooo good! Enjoy that ice cream, Heather!!!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Thanks Lynn, trust me, I am! Love your choice of toppings by the way. :)

Tangy November 3, 2010 at 11:06 am

I am a huge ice cream lover as well :) If only it loved me back!! I have 4 favorites. One, cookies and cream. Most taste pretty good, although I like Edys the best. Ben and Jerry’s Chubby Hubby is another one. Breyer’s vanilla (which also only has 5 ingredients) with all that vanilla bean goodness is great!! And my husband and I are HUGE rocky road fans. OMG we love that stuff, but only the ones with real marshmellows and not the marshmellow swirl. Again, Edys has the best!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Tangy,
We love the Breyer’s all natural as well. So vanilla-y and delicious! Also a huge fan of Cookies and Cream as well as Chubby Hubby. Mmm, loved those PB filled pretzels. :)

Jill November 3, 2010 at 11:16 am

Hooray for less-expensive ice cream! I had no idea that the Harris Teeter brand had such nice ingredients. My all-time favorite ice cream is made by a company called Pierre’s (haven’t seen it here) and is called Everything but the Kitchen Sink. http://www.pierres.com/premium_kitchen_sink.shtml. Container = 2ish servings. Jill’s Food Pyramid, you know :-) The same company also makes super delicious fruit sherbet/sorbet (Hola Fruita) that is at Kroger. Obvs. it’s not ice cream but I’m sure you would love it-the Mango is better than Edy’s!

Glad you liked the muffins! Love having taste-testers. Realized this a.m. that I like the pumpkin best but that I wouldn’t mind a little more spice and/or maple flavor in them. Think I *slightly* overbaked the banana ones this time, but that’s how baking experiments go :-)

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Jill,
You know I love your food pyramid, and that Pierre’s stuff sounds amazing. Loaded with all sorts of goodies – I love my chunky ice-cream! Never tried the Hola Fruita – but I want to, and always happy to be one of your official taste-testers. Haven’t met a Jill recipe I didn’t like yet! :)

Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit November 3, 2010 at 11:19 am

What a great ingredients list! My favorite `grocery store brand` is actually soy delicious peanut butter zig zag or the turtles flavours, I normally don`t go for soy alternatives, but this stuff is sweet and creamy!

S @ extremebalance.net/blog November 3, 2010 at 11:21 am

That’s hilarious! I’m not a huge ice-creamer, but I love tart frozen yogurt… or ice cream in Europe, which I suppose is usually gelato (because the places always seem to be run by Italians)… I don’t know why it’s so different, but it’s *good*!

Do you think you crave more all the time because the sugar demons awake and want their satisfaction? :)

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:45 pm

S,
Yeah, nothing better than gelato in Europe. I’ve tried several gelato places here in the U.S., but they’re just not the same. Not sure why I woke up – I think I was just hungry, and yeah, craving more sugar. Took everything in me NOT to open up the freezer at 3 AM this morning. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 3, 2010 at 11:26 am

I don’t even remember the last time I ate ice cream. Oh wait, I do… it was about a year and a half ago and was really really sick after I ate it. I swore I wouldn’t eat it anymore. So, I haven’t – and enjoy coconut ice cream now!

Evan Thomas November 3, 2010 at 11:27 am

It’s been so long since I’ve paid full price for ice cream. I have to say I don’t miss it. If I do, it’s usually So Delicious, but more likely than not I’ll churn my own. How can you beat that?

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Evan,
You can’t. :)

Sami November 3, 2010 at 11:33 am

my faveee is the walmart brand sugar free fat free vanilla. it tastes exactly like that pillsbury icing from the can! i swear. <3 xo.

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Sami,
Really? I’m sold! Used to love eating that frosting leftover from the cinnamon rolls. :) However, sugar free ice-cream usually kills my stomach. :(

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) November 3, 2010 at 11:38 am

At least you have a great excuse to be craving ice cream all the time. I have none :-) Thinking of you All. The. Time! Can’t wait to see your baby!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Thanks Deb. :)

Krista (kristastes) November 3, 2010 at 11:46 am

WOWee!! Nothing beats 5 half gallons of ice cream! I grew up eating Breyer’s — big in Philly as that is where it originated. However, I will eat ANY ice cream :)

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Krista,
We love the Breyer’s all natural vanilla. Full of vanilla bean specks and so good!

melissa @ the delicate place November 3, 2010 at 11:46 am

LOL CD is a good man. N always says… a happy wife is a happy life! here’s to ice cream! tips cone to HEAB!

Gloria November 3, 2010 at 11:50 am

I’m such a huge fan of my ice cream maker and usually make my own, but the Soy Delicious (fruit-sweetened) chocolate almond is my favorite. I usually eat half the pint before I can even get it from the shopping bag to the freezer!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Gloria,
That makes me feel so much better. Not too long ago, I found myself opening up a pint of coconut milk ice-cream and licking the ice-cream from the top of the lid on the way home from the grocery store. Couldn’t help myself, and if I’d had a spoon, it would have been all over. :)

lifelivedfully November 3, 2010 at 12:01 pm

ahh…you speak to my heart in the language that I love. SUGA’!! hmm, while I agreed dairy does a doozey on my tummy, sometimes you just have to give into those farocious cravings!! Hands down, not gonna waver–final decision…Haagen Daz Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice cream. Pure,natural,about 3 ingredients…and enough calories to feed triplets…or climb Mt. Everest..you choose:)
ps. love the 2:30 feeding…I’ve so done that!!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Lifelivedfully,
Your blog kept me company early this AM. You’re such an amazing writer Lindsay. Hate to admit this, but I don’t think I’ve ever had the Haagen Daz PB chocolate ice-cream. Must remedy that soon!

Ana November 3, 2010 at 12:19 pm

CD is an awesome husband!
I had major ice cream cravings during pregnancy, especially during the last months.
There was one night, close to 10pm, when I was totally craving ice cream. I was halfway through the 8th month and really didn’t want to drive at night with that huge belly, and my husband didn’t want to go buy ice cream for me. I never forget it. The following day after lunch I went to the local frozen custard place close home and had my chocolate ice cream, man it was the best thing ever! I made sure to have ice cream in the freezer after that. It was my one craving throughout pregnancy and I didn’t deny it once, so good! (no wonder my son absolutely loves chocolate ice cream… he had a lot of it in-uterus!)

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Ana,
Yeah, I have a feeling we’re going to be one big ice-cream lovin family as well. Look for us at your school’s library. ;)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) November 3, 2010 at 12:33 pm

DANGER! Once I start I can’t stop either. Thats how they gettcha I swear! But that also goes for other things. Like Chocolate Almond Butter..which thank goodness I bought those little squeeze packs! My favorite has to be Turkey Hill (the all natural kind) Its made in Lancaster PA. Same exact ingredients as yours, so I’m sure it is just as tasty and creamy :) Enjoy soon to be momma!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Felicia,
Yeah, chocolate almond butter = crack! You’re the third person to mention the Turkey Hill, but I’ve never seen it. Would love to try it someday…and smother it in warm chocolate almond butter. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 3, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I dont buy store bought ice cream…truth be told, I am not an ice cream girl. Never was. I love desserts but that’s just not my go to. The banana walnut muffin looks wayyyy more my speed…holy moist (and I hate that word but yeah, that muffin looks divine!).

I also weaned Scott from his dairy addiction and store bought ice cream and now make banana softserve or a variety of coconut milk concoctions and just freeze them and hope for the best. No ice cream maker, and it’s not always perfect, but what can I say, I just dont buy ice cream b/c for Scott…it’s temptation city!

Glad you had a meetup, some girl time, some muffies, and some ice cream :)

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Averie,
As you know, I hate the word moist as well…and juicy, and everyone around me keeps saying juicy. Ewwww. But yes, the muffin was perfectly moist – I’d love to try it atop one of your coconut ice-cream creations. :)

Katie November 3, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Like you, I’m not big on dairy either – but since being pregnant, ALL I want is milk and ice cream. It’s getting ridiculous! But I’m also going with it, and luckily – it does fill me up, so hooray for that. :-) Enjoy some of your 5 gallon stash for me!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Katie,
Again, so excited for you, and I think both our bodies are screaming for calcium. So eat and drink up and enjoy! :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) November 3, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I love your husband too. :)

HEAB, if a pregant lady isn’t entitled to unlimited ice cream then I don’t know who is. Maybe you you should be topping your oat bran with it. Best of both worlds…?

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Diana,
It’s been done and oh so good: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/01/04/first-workout-of-the-month/. Thanks for the reminder, and I agree, if I’m going to go crazy on some ice-cream, now is definitely the time! :)

Abbey November 3, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Ted Drewes or Breyers! I would send you some T.D. if I could! So glad you are listening to your cravings and just going with it.

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Abbey,
Oh gosh, I wish you could too. I’ll take a Cookie and Cream or Chocolate Mint Oreo concrete. Thanks! ;)

Megan (Braise The Roof) November 3, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I rarely buy ice cream to keep at home (honestly, I’m more of a warm baked goods kind of girl) but if I do I go big. It usually involves Ben & Jerry’s and not uncommonly it’s Phish Food. I can’t resist the fudge fish! I’m THAT person that digs them all out and leaves the rest of the ice cream. :)

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Megan,
You’re a cherry picker! CD totally does the same thing – picks out all the good chunks. Grrr! ;)

Jess@atasteofconfidence November 3, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I can never resist ice cream..ever ever ever. But I’m more of a soft serve girl. I don’t really have a fav brand, but cookie dough is my favorite:)

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Jess,
I go through phases. Sometimes, all I want is soft serve, but these days, I’m addicted to the hard stuff. :)

Meghan Telpner November 3, 2010 at 1:23 pm

loving the fall-themed muffins!

Susan November 3, 2010 at 1:32 pm

There are few things sweeter than a craving satisfied : ) Sometimes it’s the entire process of thinking “Hey, I want this!” then going on a quest to getting it, and finally enjoying the reward.

I think Jill needs her own baking blog!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Susan,
Jill does – she’s an amazing baker. Everything she has brought me is so good…especially when served with ice-cream. ;)

Clare @ Fitting It All In November 3, 2010 at 1:37 pm

My family is an Edy’s Ice Cream family. Usually have some vanilla bean in the fridge! But for flavored, the Starbucks Java Chip is pretty darn good:)

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Clare,
Never realized I was a fan of coffee ice-cream until I had my first bite of Starbucks. Hands down, the best!

VeggieGirl November 3, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I WANT THAT ICE CREAM!!!

Katie November 3, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I would eat all that ice cream!!

I usually eat oatbran or something proteiny right before bed or I wake up STARVING in the middle of the night and eat everything in sight. I can’t stand being hungry!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Katie,
In regards to the ice-cream, that’s the plan. :) Hate being hungry as well…especially at 3 AM!

Marie November 3, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I use to love any and all ice cream. Now I’m kind of an ice-cream snob. I like Bryers. (Or I guess you could insert any all-natural kind, but that’s what we can find at the store here.)

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Marie,
We love Breyer’s as well. So good and full of vanilla bean specks. YUM! :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 3, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Ice cream’s definitely not a “fill-you-up” kind of treat. Guess that’s why it’s so easy to go through a whole pint!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Mary,
So true…unfortunately. :(

Maren November 3, 2010 at 3:30 pm

oh my so much ice cream, I’m envious.

Samantha November 3, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Oh Irish Mint…yum! I hear silk has a mint chocolate flavor out right now. Not a huge soy fan, but still sounds yummy!

I haven’t had store bought ice cream in years. A month or so ago I treated myself to a kids size key lime pie from ColdStone though that was worth every bite!

Brandae November 3, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I’m totally an ice-cream fiend. I get you. Don’t have time to read through all the comments so maybe someone has already suggested this, but if you LOVE the coconut milk ice-creams, it’s not hard at all to make it. I made some this week with a can of coconut milk, vanilla, and raw honey. That’s it! And delicious especially with “magic shell” chocolate coconut butter drizzled over the top. I’ve also made the coconut milk ice-cream with cocoa powder, agave, and mint extract. SO yum! Not saying you should feel badly for eating what you have in the freezer though. :) Just wanted to share how easy it is to make the coconut milk ice-cream.

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Thanks Brandae – I have an ice-cream maker, and your recipe sounds super easy. As soon as we deplete our stash in the freezer, I’m going homemade. :)

Natalia - a side of simple November 3, 2010 at 3:56 pm

It’s a toss up between how good CD is, and how smart he is. Sounds like the man likes to be on the offense. ;)

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Natalia,
Hehe. ;) What can I say, my hubby is perfect…although he does have this really bad habit of leaving his socks everywhere.

Ann Claire November 3, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Favorite store bought ice-cream? That is a tought question. I really haven’t tried that many different kinds. Lately I’ve just been loving homemade coconut milk ice cream. So yummy and so much cheaper than the non-dairy ice cream that’s for sell in the stores.
By the way, I made your flourless egg egg crepe for dinner last night. I filled it with cashew butter and apricot jam. So good!!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Ann Claire,
Mmm, your flourless crepe sounds perfect, and I would love your recipe for homemade coconut milk ice-cream. I really want/need to start making my own. :)

Ann Claire November 3, 2010 at 9:11 pm

I highly recommend making your own coconut milk ice cream! I just actually just posted about it. http://annclaireshealthyadventures.blogspot.com/2010/11/i-sceam-you-scream-we-all-scream-for.html

The recipe I’ve used is super simply. It’s just…..
2 cans unsweetened full fat coconut milk
2/3 cup coco powder
6 tablespoons agave (this of course can be totally changed depending on how sweet you like things, but I’d probably stay between 5 and 8 tablespoons)
1 teaspoon vanilla
Whisk coco powder and a small amount of the coconut milk together. Add the rest of the coconut milk and the remaining ingredients and whisk until fully combined. Then prepare according to your ice cream machines instructions.

I’m not sure if you have an ice cream machine or not. I know that it is totally possible to make the above recipe without one, it’s just a bit more complicated (although if it’s anywhere near as good at the machine version it’ll be worth it).
Tips for making it without a machine can be found at http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/07/making-ice-crea-1/

By the way, I take no credit for the actual recipe. I got it from http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2008/05/chocolate-coconut-milk-ice-cream-2.html

Sorry to overwhelm you with all the links, but I hope that helps!

Lisa Torres November 3, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Now that you all got me in the mood for some ice cream…LOL>.Cant have the Coconut cuz it has corn ingredients in it…sooooooo sad.. and shouldnt have the other good ones either cuz even Vanilla extract is a corn problem..they use corn to extract the vanilla…UGH..but making my own vanilla out of potato vodka and vanilla bean…still not sure how in 3 to 4 weeks it becomes vanilla and not just vanilla vodka??? ha ha..we’ll see.
but what I want to know is if Jill is going to post the recipe for those amazing looking muffins and banana bread?????

eatmovelove November 3, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Oh my God – me too ! They look so good! I would buy those.

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Lisa,
I’ll email Jill for both recipes, and I didn’t know corn was used to extract vanilla. Interesting. Hope your homemade version turns out okay! :)

eatmovelove November 3, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Oh my God – I think I love your husband!!

Holy crapola – smart man! And your right those ingredients are stellar. I cringe when I see the “no fat” or “no sugar added” ice creams in the stores – only to see a bunch of fake stuff added to it. Pass me the cream, milk and sugar please ;)

I guess that brand is just a States or Nashville thing – never seen it here.

I LOVE your excitement over everything – baby induced – lately! It’s just radiating off the page!

I forgot to mention yesterday too – name…I’m thinking Katie maybe…or something that is from your mom or a relative.

Fave ice cream? I’ve always been a Cookies n Creme gal by default (one night I wanted it so bad, but only had vanilla – so crushed up a row of those Newman’s O’s ones…;) )… so really then Vanilla has to be the ultimate because it provides such a lovely foundation :)

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 8:32 pm

EML,
Yeah, as much as I love anything and everything in chocolate form, there is just something so simple but yet so amazing about vanilla ice-cream. You can add almost anything to it, including Newman’s O’s! :) Harris Teeter is a grocery store chain in the Southeast and that is their generic all natural line. Love it!

Paige is Running Around Normal November 3, 2010 at 7:59 pm

5 half gallons?! Your hubby LOVES you!! :)

dana @ my little celebration November 3, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Lovely post. I was wondering if, upon checking you blog today, that you’d have had a little HEABlet, but not yet : )

My favorite brand of store bought ice cream is prooooobably blue bunny. It’s affordable, delicious, they have low calorie offerings, and they offer tons flavors. Blue Bunny is my fave!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Dana,
Nope not yet, and I know all about Blue Bunny. Good stuff! :)

Kelly@rahraw November 3, 2010 at 8:32 pm

My favorite is Breyer’s vanilla, but I also love anything with chocolate+mint!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Kelly,
Me too – can never go wrong with that combo! :) We love Breyer’s vanilla as well – so good with all those vanilla bean specks. :)

Annie November 3, 2010 at 8:34 pm

holy smokes.. have I been doing cupcakes wrong?? I have those tin liners but I’ve been throwing away the paper liners that are between the metal liners! Are we supposed to use those?? I knew not! I wonder why you use two? Whoops!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Annie,
Jill used both paper and tin liners for each muffin. I always just use one liner apiece myself – not sure which method is correct, but Jill’s turned out delicious. :)

Nicole November 3, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Wow that’s a wholelotta ice cream! Good for you! I’m sure miss HEABlet is one happy girl!! :) Three kicks for ice cream!!
Not to sound like an ice cream snob but the only “store brand” ice cream I’ve ever bought is Turkey Hill, which I purchased at an actual Turkey Hill. It’s not really a store brand but it is.

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Nicole,
Lots of kicks AND hiccups coming from the HEABlet. People keep talking about this Turkey Hill stuff – I must find some!

Namaste Gurl November 3, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Glad to see you finished off the S.C PB- glad you liked it:) I’m not knowing what to do with all the empty nut butter jars I have! I guess I’ll just have to make more salad dressing!

And whoa, HEAB– that’s A LOT of ice cream! CD is one lovely husband to get you all that yumminess:) The HEABlet is probably stoked haha!

When I do buy expensive, natural ice- cream, I like Alden’s Organic PB chip ice cream with extra added PB atop. That is, when I can manage to cough up $6.

HEAB November 4, 2010 at 10:31 am

Namaste Gurl,
Extra added PB atop?!? Sounds like its worth $6 to me. ;)

Loved the S.C. PB – sad to see it go, but I sure had fun eating the last of it!

Alyssa November 3, 2010 at 9:12 pm

I LOVE Publix brand ice cream! If you tour their plant in Plant City FL you can taste several flavors at the end!!!

HEAB November 3, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Alyssa,
I went through a “I must try every brand of Publix frozen yogurt” phase a few years ago. Oh my gosh – there was one flavor…chocolate cookie mint or something. So chunky. I LOVED it! Would love to tour the plant as well. :)

BroccoliHut November 3, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I do most of my grocery shopping at the Teet, so thanks for the heads up on their ice cream–I’ll have to check it out!

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly November 3, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Ingredients: Milk. Contains: Milk. Hahaha. But that really is a wow list of ingredients! Love it.

HEAB November 4, 2010 at 10:29 am

Kristen,
I know…I should send the list of ingredients into Jay Leno’s Headlines. :)

Kristen @makingourway.tumblr.com November 3, 2010 at 10:00 pm

WHAT?!?! I didn’t even know we had a Harris Teeter here in Nashville! That excites me :)

HEAB November 4, 2010 at 10:29 am

Kristen,
Yes, there are about 3 located within a few miles of our house. We get coupons in the mail every week and save a ton of money shopping there!

monicanelsonfitness November 3, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Smart Husband!!

Many treats and goodies today…YUM!

My favorite ice cream? I honelsty can’t narrow it down. I like coffee and chocolate toffee, and vanilla bean. I like peanut butter too. Geesh see what I mean, I like it all. haha!

Caitlin (EatFeats) November 4, 2010 at 8:08 am

Best husband ever!

I agree, ice cream does not do much for me except taste delicious. If I eat carby things at night, I sleep much better. Buuuut I love ice cream more than anything.

My favorite ever brand is Dreyer’s/Edy’s! I like the regular, full fat stuff, though their low fat, slow-churn product is good, too. Dreyer’s is the brand that they stock at Disneyland AND their (only) ice cream parlor is in the SF Bay Area, so it is very near to my heart.

HEAB November 4, 2010 at 10:28 am

Caitlin,
I like Edy’s too. Lots of chunks in their cookies and cream. :)

Sarah November 4, 2010 at 8:38 am

So excited to find another Nashville blogger with a similar story!
I love Sweet CeCe’s…I may have been on Monday AND Tuesday this week. How can you pass up two punch Tuesdays? :)

HEAB November 4, 2010 at 10:26 am

Sarah,
Hi! :) Yes, one should never pass up double punch Tuesday. :)

Nikki November 4, 2010 at 10:04 am

Good Lord look at all that ice cream! Ha! Way to go CD!

I have to admit that I’m a big fan of Ben and Jerry’s usually. YUM!

HEAB November 4, 2010 at 10:24 am

Nikki,
Ben & Jerry’s fan here – always have been. They’ve always scored big points in my book for their chunks. I even took a trip to Vermont just so I could tour the factory. Well worth it too. :)

Victoria Williams=Fisher November 4, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Favorite: Breyers Coffee Ice Cream! Or when your mom and I make homeade chocolate/peanut butter!!!!

HEAB November 4, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Vickey,
Oh my gosh…the homemade chocolate PB ice-cream – the damage I used to do to that stuff! I think we need to make a batch next time you’re in town. We’ll HEABify it…or maybe not. ;)

Missy November 5, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Three words.
Breyer’s Vanilla Bean.

Ever had it? Please do while your ice cream cravings are on full tilt.
OH, and you gotta love how men do things. They just go all the way huh?
~Missy