Quaker Cakes

by HEAB on November 14, 2010

Happy Pancake Sunday!

Pancakes, I’ve missed you!

While Summer napped this morning, I tried out a new pancake recipe. The only reason it was new is because we were almost out of eggs, and so I had to get a little creative. While I warmed my pancake griddle over low heat, into the Vita-Mix went 1 egg, 1 packet of Quaker Apple Cranberry Almond instant multigrain hot cereal, 3 TBSP old fashioned oats, 2 TBSP heavy whipping cream, 2 TBSP water, and 1/4 tsp baking powder. After blending, I cooked my 5 small pancakes over low heat. Toppings included 1/2 TBSP butter and a drizzle of maple syrup. I loved the chewy texture provided by the oats and cereal, and the instant packet provided great flavor and just the right amount of sweetness.

I rarely buy instant oatmeal as it’s pretty high in sugar, and I prefer plain oats. However, I grew up eating it almost everyday. My favorite flavor was Apples and Cinnamon, and my mom was the only one allowed to make it for me as no one else could quite get the water to milk ratio correct. What about you? Were you ever a fan of the instant stuff?

Thanks to everyone for all your encouragement and advice regarding breast feeding. We’re still working on it, and Summer is doing great. :)

BIOCHEMISTA November 14, 2010 at 2:09 pm

What a great idea! Never thought to throw flavored/instant oatmeal into pancakes. I’m sure you could find some all-natural brands of instant oats. Back in the day, ya there was only quaker but it’s pretty nuts how many different kinds there are out there!

Thanks for sharing!

Hang in there with the breast feeding! I’m babyless so I can’t share from experience but the hard would WILL pay off. You are doing WONDERS for your baby!!! And if it’s not meant to happen, you tried and that’s all you can ask for :)

Happy Sunday chica!

-Lauren

Halley (Blunder Construction) November 14, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Sometimes the recipes that come from a lack of ingredients on hand are the best! I made the strangest but softest choc. chip cookies last night without any sugar. The instant oatmeal packets are what got me into plain oats eventually, I think they are a good gateway breakfast. :)

melissa November 14, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I LOVED instant oatmeal growing up, I like you prefer good old plain oats now a days! When i was little they had an instant kind that you could add topping too–it was like a squeeze packet of jam–loved that…I know not very healthy :) The Quaker Cakes look great must try them sometime! I know that you got TONS of advice and info regarding BFing so I won’t keep repeating…I just wanted to tell you my 1st son was born 1 mo early-with many complications for me and him so I pumped and bottle fed breast milk, I wish I would have kept at it though. I now have a 4 month old son who I breastfeed–booby to mouth (tee hee!) and occasionally pump. Just want you to hang in there, the first few weeks are the hardest. With baby Gavin (4mo old) I was in the hospital about 4 days and as soon as I got home I had a nasty case of Mastitis but I hung in there–it will get better and it is such a great way to connect with the baby! Good luck keep eating those oats and drinking lots of water and you and Ms Summer will be into a nursing routine in no time!

Erica November 14, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I was super excited to see a posting from you :) I used to love those instant packets of oatmeal. When my mom got the variety pack, my sister and I would “call” which flavors we got. I think the peaches and cream was my favorite, while Kim preferred the strawberries and cream. Glad to hear y’all are doing well

Nicole (Picky Nicky) November 14, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I just posted a recipe for oatmeal pancakes on my blog this morning! I guess hungry bloggers think alike ;)

Daniel November 14, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I used to love the instant oatmeal packets as well! I used to have one everymorning with a very tiny bit of water because I liked how the sugar would dry in huge clumps and you could get big clusters of sugary goodness. I think the maple and brown sugar was my favorite flavor. :P

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg November 14, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I never ate instant oatmeal growing up, but I ate it ALL THE TIME in college, so it always reminds me of those four years :-)

Glad to hear that sweet Summer is doing great!!

S @ extremebalance.net/blog November 14, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I remember trying to eat the peaches ‘n’ cream… but I can’t ever get over the texture! Ga! Nice to see it’s getting a revival, HEAB-ified. :)

Jess@atasteofconfidence November 14, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I used to eat instant oatmeal everyday before school in high school- apples and cinnamon was my favorite, too!

Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks November 14, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I ate Quaker Instant Oats on a weekly basis growing up. My favorite flavor was always maple brown sugar, followed by apples and cinnamon. I also was a big fan of Cream of Wheat…also loved the maple brown sugar flavor the best!

Matt November 14, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Want to know something scary? I passed up pancake Sunday for a bowl of oatmeal. Who am I?

HEAB November 15, 2010 at 8:24 am

Matt,
I’m frightened for you…whoever you are. ;)

VeggieGirl November 14, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Oh yes, I used to love Kashi Heart To Heart instant oats – maple flavor. So good.

Little Bookworm November 14, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Your pancake recipe sounds great! I used to love eating Quaker Oats Raspberry Porridge packets. :) Glad to hear Summer is doing great!

Sarah November 14, 2010 at 2:39 pm

So glad to hear all is well. I feel like im in HEAB withdrawl!!!! :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 14, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I love adding oats to pancakes. They give them a really “umph” to them beside just being delicious cakes of air. :P

Ana November 14, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I actually never had instant oatmeal when growing up. My mom did use a mix of sometimes rolled oats and sometimes the quick (rolled oats chopped) ones – it all depended on which one my dad got from the store! – and she used to make it on the stove, from scratch every time. And I have to say, I am like you, until I learned to make my own oats the only one I liked was my mom’s, hers was the best and she always made it with milk (which I think was the difference). Until today I am not a fan of oats cooked only in water, I at least add a bit of milk in there, usually almond milk – which is my favorite now!
My mom learned with my dad’s mom how to make oats, isn’t that funny? And she actually learned it because after she got married my dad kept asking her to make oatmeal and she didn’t know how. She learned it pretty good and my dad always said that hers was actually better than his mom’s.
Yay for me! Both me and my dad have always been oatmeal lovers (not so much my sister, and my mom definitely not, never actually saw her eating oats now that I think of it), and I also had it growing up.
I can’t even start talking about oats that my mouth starts salivating and I want to make some! :-)
Lovely oat cakes, sound like a great breakfast for a calm Sunday!
We had sweet potato muffins today, and I am going to post the recipe I created on my blog, it was the fluffiest muffins I have ever made. And I was so proud it was my creation too!
I am glad things are going well with you, CD, and Summer. There couldn’t be better news!

Tangy November 14, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I grew up on instant oatmeal and cream of wheat. I liked apple cinnamon and strawberries and cream. I haven’t figured out how to make a healthier version of the strawberry that tastes really good but when I want apple I drizzle apple slices in olive oil and bake them about 45 min then cut them up in my oats along with walnuts or pecans and lots of cinnamon! Almost as good as an apple pie!

Does nursing make you extra hungry? I remember being so exhausted and SO hungry all the time!! I could never figure out how some said they lost all their baby weight from nursing because I was constantly wanting to eat and sleep!

HEAB November 15, 2010 at 8:26 am

Tangy,
Yes, my appetite and thirst are out of control!

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) November 14, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Those pancakes look great! Glad Summer is doing well :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 14, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Maple and brown sugar was a standard for me! I ate it everyday when I was working and right after Jay was born! Keep your chin up and by the way, I love hearing you talk about Summer now that she is here! It is so sweet! Hugs to all of you!

Christin@purplebirdblog November 14, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I always was a huge fan of the maple and brown sugar flavor of instant oats growing up!

Emily November 14, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I actually do not like oatmeal, but I love using oats in things like breads and baked goods (and pancakes!) I also love muesli….there’s just something about the consistency of hot oatmeal, I just can’t do. Weird, huh?

HEAB November 15, 2010 at 8:26 am

Emily,
Nah – oatmeal is not for everyone. No shame. :)

Eleanor November 14, 2010 at 3:29 pm

So glad Summer’s doing well x
My mum was the only one allowed to make my instant porridge too – mums always do it best!

Erika [FoodFitnessFun] November 14, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Nice to hear from you! Glad you have been enjoying lots of time with Summer – pictures? ;-)
Never thought of adding flavored oatmeal in place of regular oats…Genius! :-P

Christina @ ilovefetacheese November 14, 2010 at 3:44 pm

The smell of any of the quaker oats packets still brings me back to childhood. Especially brown sugar and maple…I smelled a candle recently that had this scent and I wanted some of that sugary oatmeal so bad!! Totally understand :) Hugs n kisses for Summer!

eml November 14, 2010 at 3:55 pm

So don’t judge, but I still love instant oatmeal…? ;)

Yeah. BUT, I buy the low-sugar or the Nature’s Path kind usually and sometimes go half and half mixing it with regular oats. Sorry, I’m not sorry ;) .

I love all flavors -flax, maple and brown sugar, blueberry/flaxseed/cinnamon…sigh.

Hope your doing well! Eat up :)

TSB November 14, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Yes. Maple and brown sugar instant oatmeal growing up, instant packages. And we always added heavy whipping cream to it. I must do some pancakes. Add much more butter and they sound like something for me.

HEAB November 15, 2010 at 8:41 am

TSB,
I think we would enjoy breakfast together. Bring on the cream and butter! :)

Moni'sMeals November 14, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Great breakfast Heather! I will try it out.

See… you are already back in action. :)

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com November 14, 2010 at 4:09 pm

What a great pancake recipe! I grew up on the instant stuff too and loved the brown sugar flavor:) Enjoy your Sunday!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free November 14, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I am not a fan of instant. I can’t eat sugar for one, and I just think it is very water-ry. But, when I am out of town, it is a great breakfast on the go!

Katie November 14, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I bought those instant packets in bulk at Costco when I lived in Hawaii and camped all the time. best camping breakfast EVER. Maple and brown sugar were always the first flavor I ran out of. I never liked the Apple one…or the fruity ones.

I love that you made pancakes while Summer napped – aren’t new moms supposed to be too tired to cook? :)

HEAB November 15, 2010 at 8:43 am

Katie,
I never liked the fruit flavors either, and trust me, I crashed yesterday afternoon. Got in a nice little nap and managed to get some sleep last night as well. :)

Caitlin (EatFeats) November 14, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Every time you even type Summer’s name, it is sooo cute. I’m glad she is doing well!

I only liked the instant oatmeal with the “dinosaur eggs” in it. The “eggs” would “hatch” (melt) when you cooked the oats and would reveal their sugary dino-bite innards. I ate the dinosaur candy pieces and left the oatmeal.

When I was growing up, I ate Cream of Wheat with full-fat half and half and sprinkles hehe. I still love Cream of Wheat!

HEAB November 15, 2010 at 8:43 am

Caitlin,
You are cracking me up – your breakfasts of years past were quite colorful. ;)

Shelby November 14, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I didn’t even realize it was Pancake Sunday! I had chocolate chip-bacon pancakes today and I’ll be posting about them tomorrow. Pancakes are so delicious, I don’t know why everyday isn’t pancake day ;)

HEAB November 15, 2010 at 8:44 am

Shelby,
Now that sounds like my kind of breakfast, and nothing wrong with pancakes everyday in my opinion! :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood November 14, 2010 at 5:25 pm

I used to be a fan of instant oatmeal. They were like my life’s salvation for a quick and filling meal back in college. I still eat it now from time to time, especially when I’m busy in the mornings because… well, it’s quick! :-D

Rachel (tea and chocolate) November 14, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Like Caitlin I loved the dinosaur egg instant oatmeal when I was little. But as soon as my dad started cooking steel cut oats, that’s all I wanted. I still like the occasional instant oats though. It’s nice to have some type of oatmeal that cooks quickly.

Pure2raw twins November 14, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Just letting you know we are having pancakes tomorrow morning, if you want to come over ; ) haha and please bring Summer!!

Glad you all are doing alright!! Thinking of you!

Michelle

HEAB November 15, 2010 at 8:45 am

Pure2Raw,
What time? Did we miss your pancakes already? ;(

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 14, 2010 at 7:11 pm

To be honest, I only ate oatmeal once in a blue moon growing up! However, I did like the apple cinnamon kind – and I used to make it pretty dry and then smother it in milk! Oh how times have changed me! :)

lindsay November 14, 2010 at 7:23 pm

I used to have instant grits as a kid. not sure why but i think I just liked it with butter,haha. Pancake sunday is back, yea! I’m sure Summer will love this tradition when she is a toddler!

A Teenage Gourmet November 14, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Quaker has lowered the sugar in their instant oatmeal by 25%, or so they advertise. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 14, 2010 at 7:34 pm

I grew up on Quaker packets. What can I say. I actually ate them as afternoon snacks in the winter…as an 8 yr old, it was pretty easy to dump packet in bowl, add water, and nuke. :)

Doing ANYTHING while Summer napped…from blogging to making pancakes…I am impressed.

Along with doing everything I know you’re doing to ensure nursing is going along well… Well, I am impressed. Hang in there, Mama!

A Teenage Gourmet November 14, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Woah, even better, 50%!

Heather November 14, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Yay! So excited to see a post from you! And on a pancake Sunday at that! Such a clever idea with the instant oatmeal. I rarely ever buy it…even the low sugar variety is still just too sweet for me. But man did I love it as a kid! My mom would buy the fruit flavor variety with strawberry, peach, and banana and I would always eat all the strawberry ones and leave the rest!

Still keeping you and the little one in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck with the breastfeeding!

Caroline November 14, 2010 at 8:04 pm

What a simple but delicious recipe, I’ll definitely have to try it! It love cinnamon instant oatmeal, I buy the low sugar kind!

Josie November 14, 2010 at 8:17 pm

i still love instant oatmeal. i like brown sugar and maple varieties the best. :) i do like to throw some plain instant into pancake recipes for texture.

happy pancake sunday!

elise November 14, 2010 at 8:34 pm

oh man that maple and brown sugar one was my fave. i ate it raw (uncooked) and cold with milk. i was such a weird little kiddo.

Clairerose C November 14, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I grew up LOVING Maple and brown sugar.Now that it’s starting to get cooler out,I’m wanting it more:-)cc

thetreadmilldiaries November 14, 2010 at 9:03 pm

These pancakes look amazing and easy enough to make. Plus it looks like you could easily adjust the ingredients to change things up. Thanks!

Alyssa November 14, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Heather, so glad to see you making pancakes again! Glad you and Summer are doing well!

Annie November 14, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Breakfast when I was growing up was cereal unless my dad decided to cook.. then we had french toast or cinnamon toast or omelets.. whatever he made it was always the best!! I tried the instant stuff but had an issue with the texture (slimy).. it wasn’t until I found steel cut oats and oat bran that I figured I loved oats! (I still do not like rolled oats unless I’m making something besides oats… LOL)

Pray’n you’ll be flowin’ in the fields of milk and honey soon!
Annie

Nicole November 14, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Yay for pancake Sundays and happy napping babies!!

deborah November 14, 2010 at 9:43 pm

heather ..congratulations on beautiful summer..
Love your blog
love your energy
Bravo to you for making postpartum pancakes!
I recall the early days of motherhood as a heady mix of bliss & an unfamiliar sense of utter bewilderment..
Sweet dreams and even sweeter waking hours
xoxo
deborah

HEAB November 15, 2010 at 10:14 am

Deborah,
Could not agree more: “early days of motherhood as a heady mix of bliss & an unfamiliar sense of utter bewilderment..” :)

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly November 14, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I hope you share with Summer the video of you Vitamixing with a pillow over your tummy to protect her hearing! :-p

HEAB November 15, 2010 at 10:17 am

Kristen,
I was on pins and needles during her hearing test at the hospital. If she had not have passed, I know CD would have blamed the Vita-Mix. ;)

kathleen November 14, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I loved instant oatmeal. It was my go-to breakfast and sometimes snacks all through high school and college. Although, looking back now, I don’t even want to know how much more expensive instant oats are than bulk oats. Eek.

Kayla November 15, 2010 at 3:47 am

I’ve been thinking about you guys Heather! I’m sure you are getting a ton of comments/e-mails everyday, but I hope you don’t feel overwhelmed by them. I hope you, CD, and Summer have a WONDERFUL week!! :)

michelle November 15, 2010 at 5:04 am

My girls would never eat my oats when they were little so I was happy for them to eat the instant stuff….better that than no oats at all!

Carolyn November 15, 2010 at 5:09 am

You know i am addicted (love) the Lower Sugar Instant Apple Cinnamon by either Quaker or even better the Target store version. It’s the same nutriiton for both but at Target their house version is $1.69 a box (10) packs!! Quaker in my area is $3.95.

I found that sodium levels in instant oatmeal packs varies wildly between flavors, not manufacturers. LS Apple Cinnamon is 170 mg.. The others were 270. Don’t know about the full sugar.

Favorite way to eat it.. with Almond butter, a little Torani SF caramel syrup and maybe some warm TJ’s chunky cinnamon apples on top… but…I can feel a pancake monday coming..

Today is going to be a great day Heather!

HEAB November 15, 2010 at 10:18 am

Thanks Bid. :)

Cailin @ Stir Crazy November 15, 2010 at 6:31 am

Those pancakes sound fantastic. I love the thicker consistency… so hearty and comforting! Apples and Cinnamon was also my fave instant oatmeal packet back in the day. I always found that I needed two instead of one because they are so small! But since I’ve been eating steel cut and rolled oats, those packets just don’t taste as good anymore on their own. I’d love to hear how you like your Vita-Mix… which one do you have and is it worth the splurge? I use my regular blender daily, but it doesn’t have the power to mix up everything I’d like!

Hope you and your happy family had a wonderful weekend!

HEAB November 15, 2010 at 10:19 am

Cailin,
I actually own a reconditioned VitaMix 5000 that I bought on sale. Often times, the Vita-mix folks sell models on their website that have been used for demos. It’s a great deal, usually about $100 off, and it still comes with the 7-year warranty. So, if you’re looking for a good deal, I would call their 1-800 number and ask them if they have any available. If you’re interested in buying a completely new model, I would definitely recommend the 5200 (which I think you can now purchase as a reconditioned model). I love mine, but my MIL has the 5200 and it seemed a bit more efficient and a little quieter. Still loud though. :) Don’t even bother purchasing the dry blade. It’s a waste of money. I bought it and have never once used it in 4 years. The wet blade can do it all.

Cailin @ Stir Crazy November 16, 2010 at 6:02 am

Thanks Heather! I’m definitely going to look into this!

Kath November 15, 2010 at 7:12 am

I loved instant cereal as a child – the sweeter, the merrier! It was one of my favorite things for breakfast. Now I don’t eat it anymore because it is so high in sugar.

Your pancakes look fab!

Hanna M. November 15, 2010 at 7:22 am

I never really had the instant version as a kid, but we started buying it (Quaker) when I was a teenager. It was always a bit to sweet for me, and since it was instant I just used boiling water. I prefer my oats with a splash of milk. But maybe I have to go check the shelves for new varieties to put in pancake batter now :) Glad to hear that you keep trying with the breastfeeding. But no more shedding tears, I hope, ’cause formula or not, as long as she’s fed and loved, Summer will turn out amazing regardless (as all the experienced moms have commented)! Keep warm,

HEAB November 15, 2010 at 10:20 am

Thanks Hanna M. Needed that today. :)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) November 15, 2010 at 7:26 am

Sounds yummy :) great to hear she is doing well!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama November 15, 2010 at 7:41 am

Yep, maple and brown sugar was my fave. Now I can’t stand the consistency and I find them way too sweet.
I’m impressed that you are making pancakes while Summer sleeps! When Meghan was that little I was still sleeping during just about every one of her naps!! :-)

lauramich November 15, 2010 at 9:47 am

Oh, yes—it sounds like many of us grew up on the instant, sweetened stuff, and now prefer plain old oatmeal. I always ate 2 packets of instant oatmeal (maple and brown sugar was my favorite, but I also liked the cinnamon), prepared with water, and with margarine added, and sometimes raisins. Now, the thought of all those carbs, all that sugar, plus the trans fats in the margarine, just turns my stomach.

Now, I have one serving of oatmeal or Bob’s Red Mill High-Fiber Organic Cereal prepared with 1% milk, with added apples, sliced banana, or canned pumpkin puree, plus a sprinkle of nuts or a spoonful of nut butter, plus spices, and maybe some sweetener—a drizzle of honey over peanut butter and banana oatmeal, or a teaspoon or two of maple syrup with pumpkin oatmeal.

The mere smell of the instant stuff makes my stomach turn these days. I love being able to control exactly how my cereal is flavored!

HEAB November 15, 2010 at 10:21 am

Lauramich,
I’d much rather have your version of oatmeal. Sounds divine on a cold fall morning. :)

Tab - Just Weighing In November 15, 2010 at 10:42 am

I’m impressed that you’re up and cooking and such. It took me a few weeks after my son was born until I felt like doing much of anything. :)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather November 15, 2010 at 10:59 am

Excellent way to use instant oat packets! We usuallly don’t have them in the house but if for some reason I find them I usually use them in baking. If it’s just a part of the batter it does (like you said) add just the right hint of sweetness.

Victoria November 16, 2010 at 4:15 pm

just wanted to wish you more good luck with the breastfeeding. I just caught up with your birth story. I had a similarish experience- IUGR but we went straight for a c-section at 37 weeks because I had high blood pressure, too. My daughter was 5lb2. So tiny! But now she is 15 months and enjoying banana oatmeal with me in the mornings. I really hope the breastfeeding works out as it sounds like it is really important to you. I feel really lucky that we have been successful with it. We had to feed on a schedule similar to yours to begin with because she had low blood sugar at birth due to my blood pressure medication and although it is absolutely exhausting at the time it does pass.
Probably a stupid question, but are you getting lots of cuddle time? It is thought to stimulate supply but I found that in the early days I could end up not holding my daughters for ages, maybe only for the actual feeding time, because so many other people wanted snuggles.

HEAB November 17, 2010 at 11:38 am

Victoria, thanks so much for the encouragement. Yes, getting in lots of cuddle time. Taking naps skin to skin during the day – my favorite part of the day actually. :) The nursing/pumping schedule is tough, but I know it will all be worth it. Day 12 and still not much milk, but I haven’t given up yet! :)

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast November 16, 2010 at 8:42 pm

I’m the same as you in that I really like making my own oatmeal or bran these days since the instant is too high in sugar for me. When I was a kid though, I had instant and my favorite flavor was brown sugar with cinnamon.

AhAhAlaska November 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Congrats Heather and Chris on your beautiful baby girl. She’s adorable! I’ve been offline for a few days and missed the birth announcement until now; I am so excited to finally meet the new blogger baby.
Heather, don’t you worry your pretty little head about nursing. Just relax and will happen. If it doesn’t, what’s the big deal, eh? You have a healthy baby and that’s what counts.
Enjoy your Summer time!!