Human Garbage Disposal

by HEAB on November 19, 2010

I am eating everything in sight. Although my milk still hasn’t fully come in, I’m doing my best to nurse Summer. It seems to be coming in very slowly, and so I can usually be found either breast feeding or pumping to keep up my supply. Thanks again for all your breast feeding advice. Believe me, I’ve tried just about all of it, and I’m praying the milk will be flowing in abundance soon. I’ve read that breast feeding burns up to 500 calories a day, and I can believe it as my appetite is out of control. I’m eating everything I want, whenever I want it.

A typical day of eats in the life of breast feeding HEAB…

Breakfast…

1 cup rolled oats cooked in water Snickerdoodle style (with 1 TBSP butter and cinnamon)

Lunch…

Sweet potato scramble courtesy of CD: grilled chicken breast strips and 1/2 baked sweet potato sauteed in 2 TBSP butter and then scrambled with 2 eggs. Yum – thank you CD!

Snacks…

Applesauce Oaties

Dinner usually consists of whatever people bring us. Many thanks to all of our wonderful friends who have brought us food! The following has been one of our favorites thus far…

From Stephanie: quinoa with goat cheese, tomatoes, and avocado served with sweet potato black bean cakes…and I threw in a leftover hamburger for some extra iron.

Post dinner…either Oaties with ice-cream or another small bowl of oats with coconut or nut butter. Like I said, I read that oatmeal helps increase milk production, and I’ve noticed that I seem to pump more colostrum/milk after eating a big bowl. Can’t complain about that! Also, some of you have inquired about my post pregnancy weight. I gained 20 pounds during my pregnancy, and I’m now about 5 pounds from my original weight. As far as exercise goes, I’ve walked our dogs twice, but not for the exercise. I simply needed some fresh air and vitamin D, and the dogs were going nuts without their walks! Honestly, I haven’t thought much about my own weight as I’ve been more concerned with Summer’s, and we got some really good news today from the pediatrician. She is back up to her original birth weight of 5 pounds 9 ounces plus 1/2 an ounce. So happy. :)

Summer celebrating her weight gain with the Robot Dance

That’s all for today folks…time to go eat…or pump…or sleep. Actually hoping to fit in all three while Summer naps.

Have a wonderful weekend!

brandi November 19, 2010 at 2:49 pm

She is so beautiful! sounds like you guys are doing well :) Love the robot dance!

Carbzilla November 19, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Hi HEABs! Just wanted to say you’re doing an awesome job blogging in the midst of all this. I barely have time to blog or read (just for the next couple of weeks), but I love reading Summer updates. She’s so cute, but I can’t figure out who she looks like yet. Does she resemble you as a baby, CD?

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 11:54 am

Carbzilla,
I had jet black hair when I was born, and so I think she gets that from me, but honestly, I think Summer resembles my younger brother’s baby photos more than anyone else’s which is okay by me as my brother turned out to be such a cutie. :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday November 19, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I’m mildly creeped out by the giant stuffed animal eye staring at summer.
Otherwise, that’s an adorable pic.

Michele November 19, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I laughed out loud when I went back and checked out the “eye.” It is a little creepy. But in a funny way.

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 11:55 am

Samantha,
Haha – it is kind of creepy, no?

Kara @ Kara's Marathon November 19, 2010 at 2:52 pm

She is just SO sweet!! Congrats on getting back to your birth weight, Summer!

How much sleep are you getting these days? I’m due in May and am trying to mentally prepare myself as much as I can for what sort of sleep deprivation I’m in for! :)

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 11:57 am

Kara,
Well, definitely not as much as I used to. However, CD has been amazing and does Summer’s nighttime feedings. My lactation consultant suggested I skip nursing at night since the whole nursing + supplementing + pumping routine can take over an hour and a half, and I was not getting any sleep. She said to produce milk, I needed rest (how ironic, huh?), and so CD feeds whatever I’ve pumped + formula to Summer at night – she usually wakes up 2 to 3 times, and I only wake up every 3 hours to pump. It was so hard letting go of her nighttime feedings, but I’m doing so much better with some sleep in my life!

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 11:57 am

Kara,
I forgot to tell you congrats! Motherhood is amazing – you’re going to love it. :)

Jess@atasteofconfidence November 19, 2010 at 2:54 pm

She’s so cute!!!

kristinp November 19, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Summer is just so freakin cute! Newborns can sometimes be a little…uh, wrinkly and not quite as cute as they will be three months later, but you got little Miss Adorable-from-day-one :-) She is seriously gorgeous and I’m sure everything BF will get worked out and you’ll soon be BFin’ like a mad woman. Glad to hear everyone is healthy and happy!

Shelby November 19, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Every time I see Summer I say out loud “I cannot believe how beautiful she is!!!”.

Though I didn’t just have a baby, my appetite has been out of control too! I think it’s because I started working and that’s like 8 hours a day of being on my feet. Although it’s annoying feeling empty every 2 hours, more yummy food for me! (:

Just today I had oats with cinnamon and butter! I can’t believe I’ve never had butter in oats before, amazing! And I’m totally making that scramble for dinner, delish!

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 11:58 am

Shelby,
Congrats on the job, and yes, being on your feet all day will burn a ton of calories. Time to up the butter. ;)

Erika [FoodFitnessFun] November 19, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Summer is such a cutie-pie! I love her little onesie – she is quite the stylish baby you know! ;-)
Or is that you, Heather?

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 11:59 am

Erika,
That’s all summer. ;)

lindsay November 19, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I bet you are starving with all the pumping you are doing! Summer is just so stinkin cute!

Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks November 19, 2010 at 3:10 pm

That patterned owl toy is too cute!

…and so is Summer, of course! Nice Robot! :)

dana @ my little celebration November 19, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Heather, I’m so glad to see that all is going well with you and the little one! What an amazing season to be at home with Summer, just spending your days (and likely nights) with her. She is such a beauty.

Thanks for being so honest and candid about your eating and exercise habits both pre and post pregnancy. It’s helped me shape a more healthy perspective on what motherhood will look like when that times rolls around me.

Always enjoy your blog,
Dana

Sarah November 19, 2010 at 3:16 pm

She looks like a Gerber baby! So beautiful!!! You are truly blessed.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 19, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Yay, your milk is coming in! The eating definitely feels out of control, but go for it. I can’t believe you already lost all that weight. Summer is a cutie pie!

Pearl Lee November 19, 2010 at 3:17 pm

yaaaay for summer! haha i saw that photo and my first reaction was, “is she dancing?” and then i read the caption.

babycakes November 19, 2010 at 3:18 pm

She is SO precious! Sending lots of love your way, Heather :)

Mandy A November 19, 2010 at 3:20 pm

She is just too cute for words! Love all the pink :) Exactly what I did (and still do) with Maddie! haha!

I need to email you! I had the strangest dream about you and Summer last night! It was so funny! :) Talk to you soon!

Hope you’re getting plenty of rest!

Dorry November 19, 2010 at 3:20 pm

So glad she’s back to her birth weight – that must make you so happy! The eats look good – love that CD whips up HEABified meals so easily. Enjoy every moment with Summer!

Cailin @ Stir Crazy November 19, 2010 at 3:26 pm

What a doll she is! So happy to hear she’s back to her birth weight! You’re doing fantastic in terms of breastfeeding… you’re listening to your body and responding to what it needs. I hope it continues getting better.
By the way, I am so impressed by how well you and CD are eating! You have a great hubby cooking for you :)

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Cailin,
I know – CD is amazing in the kitchen, and I didn’t even know that when I married him. :)

Matt November 19, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Sounds like you guys are doing great!

I am so happy for you!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather November 19, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Sounds like you are doing amazingly so far. Hope the flow becomes like a waterfall for you soon!

melissa @ the delicate place November 19, 2010 at 3:28 pm

aww hang in there! it doesn’t look like you’re eating THAT much…no more than me in a normal day haha. weightloss is effortless when you aren’t thinking about it!

eml November 19, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Oh my God, that picture is priceless! I wouldn’t be able to stop staring at her!

That’s good eatin’. Sounds like CD is getting the good benefits of your need for food :) . Scrambles are the best though aren’t they?

I was wondering how you feel about blogging now? Has your, I don’t know, “mentality” or “enjoyment” of it changed at all now with the new life change? Everything settles down after a while of course.

And I can’t believe your only 5 lbs from your original weight! Nuts! Only the celebrities do that…then again, you ARE a calendar girl right? ;)

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:09 pm

eml,
I love blogging – it is still something I look forward to everyday. Definitely not as much free time these days, but I’m still trying to fit in posts whenever I can. It keeps me connected to so many people, and I need that. :)

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com November 19, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I am so glad she gained some weight. She really is so precious. All of your eats are looking amazing:)

Krystina (Basil & Wine) November 19, 2010 at 3:33 pm

What you read about breast feeding is true, so eat up!

Lauren @ KeepItSweet November 19, 2010 at 3:36 pm

omg summer is so cute!!!

Tangy @ A Taste of Tangy November 19, 2010 at 3:37 pm

See what I mean?? insane appetitte!! No food is safe around a nursing woman. But I’m glad to see you weren’t reaching for Oreos like I was :)

Summer is adorable in that outfit and little hat. Just think, one day in the next month she’ll have already outgrown that!

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Tangy,
You spoke to soon. My friend dropped off a box of Peppermint JoJos from Trader Joe’s last night. I think I should reward myself with one every time I pump. ;)

Ana November 19, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Summer is the cutest Heather!!
I was also always hungry when breastfeeding. There were times when I would grab something and leave beside me because halfway through breastfeeding I would start to get really hungry. It is true that bf helps with the pregnancy weight as we need a lot of extra calories to make milk (and that’s why the body stores it while we are pregnant – I love mother nature!).
Just as you I was also concerned more with my baby being properly fed and gaining weight than with anything myself during the couple of months. That certainly is the most important thing and the baby weight left on us will eventually come out, plus she isn’t even a month yet, so that should definitely not be something to be thinking about yet.
I am so happy Summer’s weight is back on track, keep up the awesome work you are doing, your daughter is priceless! :-)
Hugs,

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie November 19, 2010 at 3:40 pm

It’s not garbage if it’s healthy, and your eats are looking pretty nutritious to me!

TSB November 19, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Not a lot of food at all. You definitely need more calories for breast-feeding, so you have lots of room for more good eating. Add in some cornbread, hummus, and ice cream and great stuff. I like those lunchtime scrambles with roasted potatoes thrown in too.
And I do enjoy a bowl of oatmeal with butter. My parents put butter in my oatmeal when I was growing up and I stopped doing it as I grew older. I thought it seemed very unhealthy. But its the best thing to do.
I’m curious about your eating times and if they vary much from pre-birth.
The little one looks great. Your Christmas will be a glorious occasion this year.

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:13 pm

TSB,
Yes, ice-cream and cornbread. Roger that! :)

My eating times haven’t varied much – usually always eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner around the same time…although dinner lately revolves around feeding Summer whenever she wakes up, and so sometimes we end up eating kind of late. One thing that has changed is my snacking. Was never a big snacker, but now I’m grabbing food in-between meals whenever I’m hungry…which is often. Now, go enjoy yourself some oatmeal with butter! :)

Corey @ the runner's cookie November 19, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Sounds like you are finding out some strategies that are working for you, Heather. Keep up the positive attitude and the motherly love – you continue to be so inspiring :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg November 19, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Awww, Summer is such a doll!!! Glad she’s celebrating her weight gain with a little freeform dance…I like her style already :-)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete November 19, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Summer is so adorable! I love her robot dance :)

Melissa Cline November 19, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Isn’t it surprising? I thought pregnancy hunger was intense, but it doesn’t hold a candle to the nursing hunger! I out-eat my husband and am still losing weight.

Heather (Heather's Dish) November 19, 2010 at 4:09 pm

i’ve heard nursing hunger is crazy! sounds like some fabulous eats to take care of it though :)

Christina November 19, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Summer is really adorable Heather! And that scramble looks mighty delicious.

chocolate-covered katie November 19, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Oh my WORD, Heather, she is just too cute for words!!! I swear, at first I thought she was a doll. I had to remind myself whose blog I was reading.

Dancing with the Stars will be calling before you know it ;) .

Jen November 19, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Summer is soooooo adorable!!!!! And now I have a massive Snickerdoodle oatmeal craving. I know whats for breakfast tomorrow!!!

Mama Pea November 19, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Oh my…I am grinning from ear to ear looking at the picture of Summer and even told Ashley, “Oh my gosh, you have to go look at HEAB’s blog!!!!”

She is adorable. And her expression is like, “What the hell, Mom?!”

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Mama Pea,
Ha – I thought the same thing. Mom, what are you doing to me?!?

Christin@purplebirdblog November 19, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Helloooooooooo sweet potato scramble! :D And super lol on the robot dance!

fartygirl November 19, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Oh. My. God. She is so cute I could die. Lucky you and CD. Nice work. :)

Tabitha November 19, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Iam loving these posts, your little girl Is beautiful

Kristina @ spabettie November 19, 2010 at 4:47 pm

she is simply beautiful… <3

Lorne November 19, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Congrats to Summer for gaining her weight back! You are doing great Heather, I know there is so much unknown right now but go with the flow and your milk will be here in no time (oh gosh terrible pun there! lol)…. I am still trying to get my milk back, the plunket nurse told me this week that as long as something is coming through it is possible to get it back to its orignal flow. So I am determined to keep at it. WE CAN DO THIS HEATHER :0)

Lots of love

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Lorne,
Yes, we can! Sending milky vibes your way. It will come back!

Bridget November 19, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Awww Summer! She is sooo cute! A true heablet :)

polly November 19, 2010 at 4:51 pm

SO happy you girls and CD are doing great. YAY for oats and just eating what the heck you want and loving that sweet peanut. LURVE YOU! XO

Kimberly November 19, 2010 at 5:05 pm

LOVE that picture of Summer! Yay for her weight gain!!! My sister-in-law had her baby girl yesterday. She is adorable!!! I only got to hold her for a minute though so I’m still due for a baby fix.

All your eats look super yummy :) Take care and hope you can rest when Summer does~XOXO

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Kimberly,
Congrats to your sister-in-law. So exciting – hope you get in your baby fix soon. :)

BroccoliHut November 19, 2010 at 5:11 pm

LOVE the picture of Summer–she looks just like a baby doll:) Super cute polka dotted threads too.

Natalia - a side of simple November 19, 2010 at 5:15 pm

I think you should eat an abundance of oaties if they’re going to get the milk flowing :)
Glad you have friends and family helping you out with food! Sounds like you, CD, and Summer have some great loved ones around you.

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Natalia,
I agree – making another batch today!

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad November 19, 2010 at 5:20 pm

She is gorgeous!!

I don’t have any breastfeeding advice but maybe I will ask my mom for you. She was a La Leche League leader for years! She had a home birth for my brother, don’t know if I ever told you that.

If and when I am breastfeeding I will most certainly eat a TON. I am so happy and excited for you. You sound happy and in love :)

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Thanks Maggie, any advice your mom may have would be greatly appreciated. :)

Robin November 19, 2010 at 5:25 pm

The baby robot, I LOVE it!

Congrats on Summer’s weight gain, keep up the good work!

I wasn’t going to ask you about your weight but now that you’ve addressed it, I have a question. You lost weight in your first tri from morning sickness, if I remember correctly. Was your total 20 pound weight gain from your original weight, or from your lowest after losing during your battle with morning sickness? This is strictly out of curiosity as I’m now halfway through my pregnancy and constantly wondering if I’m gaining enough, as I also lost weight at the beginning and am just getting back to my starting weight. I’m sure at some point I will look back and laugh that I was concerned at one point!

Oh and I LOVE her little pink polka dot outfit!

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Robin,
Yeah, I worried too about if I was gaining enough. I ate a lot more and really tried to listen to my body, but never piled on the pounds. I started off at about 135, maybe 137 and dropped to 129 during my first trimester and the day before Summer was born, I weighed around 155. So, 20 pounds from my original pre-pregnancy weight, but about 25 or so from my lowest. Just keep eating and getting plenty of rest. Listen to your body, and you’ll be fine. Congrats! :)

Clairerose C November 19, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Haha…Robot Dance!I love it:-)cc

Melissa @ TryingToHeal November 19, 2010 at 5:42 pm

she is absolutely adorable heather!!!

i need to make my way out towards you so i can meet your little beauty!

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Melissa,
Yes, we would love that! You’re welcome in Nashville anytime. :)

Katie November 19, 2010 at 5:47 pm

She does a mean robot dance. You must be a proud mama!

Kristinefitness November 19, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Eat up, girl! You need it!

I MUST try the sweet tater scramble :-0! It looks aweeesomee!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) November 19, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Such wonderful news! Keep up the oatmeal eats!!Only 5 pounds from your original weight?! That is awesome, you were meant to have kids :) SO glad Summer is at a healthy weight, she is so precious I love seeing new pics posted! Have a good weekend !

Christina November 19, 2010 at 7:09 pm

love her HEAB!! She’s adorable. I’ve heard beer is good for breast milk too! (not joking)

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Christina,
I have too. Hate beer, but I’d drink a 6-pack if it would get my milk flowing. Several people have recommended Guinness, and I’m going to ask my lactation consultant about it.

Jessica @ How Sweet November 19, 2010 at 7:21 pm

She is just too precious!!

Caitlin (EatFeats) November 19, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Still so cute. I hope breastfeeding continues to become easier and easier!!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 19, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Woohoo for out of control appetites! If you’re hungry, then you need it! You’re so good at listening to your body, so keep it up!

Katie November 19, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Hi Heather,
I’ve never commented before but am an avid reader. I just wanted to say that you and your new family is absolutely precious. I can see from your blog that you truly appreciate the simple daily duties that come with being a mom. I’m only an aunt, but I believe I will treasure everything about motherhood and I just wanted to comment to let you know that you are a fantastic mother with an amazingly adorable baby.

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Katie,
Thanks so much. Very sweet and encouraging comment to read this morning. :)

Maeve November 21, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Heather, I don’t think I’ve commented before either, but you’re one of my favorite bloggers, and I am so happy that things are working out well for you and CD and Summer. Congratulations! I wanna see more pics, she’s adorable! :)

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Maeve,
Thanks so much for reading and for your kind comment. More pics to come – I promise. :)

Emily November 19, 2010 at 8:52 pm

I hope you don’t mind one more piece of advice: along with eating as much as you want, try to drink TONS of water. It can help with milk production and it will also just help you feel better. Nursing moms need way more water than they think they do, usually.

Cutie pie baby you have there!

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Emily,
Yes, feeling like a human camel these days, but drinking liquids constantly. Thx!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 19, 2010 at 9:09 pm

She’s so adorable! I know, I’ve said it in every post..but it’s true!

Never knew breastfeeding burnt so many calories. Guess that’s one way new mothers can lose baby weight haha!

Annie@stronghealthyfit November 19, 2010 at 9:39 pm

So interesting! Really hoping the breastfeeding works out for you. Your meals look delicious :-)

Nicole November 19, 2010 at 9:41 pm

“Summer celebrating her weight gain with the Robot Dance” LOVED this!!!
xoxo

jacobc November 19, 2010 at 10:07 pm

cute pics! ounce by ounce… i’m sure your muscles will grow as she does!

And i’m waiting on nashville to get one of these!

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:24 pm

JacobC,
I ate there when I was in NYC for the marathon several years ago. Had the cinnamon raisin swirl sandwich. So good!

Tab - Just Weighing In November 19, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Summer is so beautiful! Good luck with the milk coming in – that was so hard for me… such a tough time but good too. :) Hang in there!

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Thanks Tab. :)

lena November 19, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Summer is so adorable in that picture :)

pamela November 19, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Thank you for showing pictures of your beautiful baby. I miss those days. Good luck with your future with your growing family.

PeonyJen November 19, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Oh my word, she’s a little doll!!!!!!!! What a tiny cutie pie.

Just keep pumping. Pumpity, pump, pump. I know you know this, and you’ve got hundreds of people throwing advice, but pump for every feeding. Even formula. And, sit there as long it takes during your pumping session for the milk to start flowing. Crossing fingers you have a Medela Pump in Style or something of the like.

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:25 pm

PeonyJen,
Yes, have the Medela Symphony model – it’s like my best friend these days. Spending a lot of time with that pump. ;)

theTreadmilldiaries November 19, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Another great picture of Summer – though I expect all of them will be just as good when you have such a cutie pie for a subject. Congrats on Summer’s most recent visit to the Dr. Sounds like she’s doing really well.

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan November 19, 2010 at 11:02 pm

LOVE that picture of summer! What an absolute doll! I just want to hug ‘n squeeze her…gently, of course! :P

Katherine November 20, 2010 at 12:36 am

Congratulations! Summer is adorable!

My milk came in very slowly too (I have 4-month old). Don’t worry, it will gradually increase. I got a lot of good advice from the book The Nursing Mother’s Companion. I had assumed that everyone gets engorged right from the start when their milk comes in, but that is not the case!

BTW, I can’t believe people are already asking about your postpartum weight loss! Sheesh, who nees that kind of pressure? Just keep fueling yourself–you and your baby need the extra calories, for sure!

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Katherine,
Thank you – so encouraging. Yeah, I thought the same thing too. Waiting all day 3 to 5 days after Summer was born to be able to shoot milk across the room. Never happened. So thankful it’s staring to come in – good to know I’m not the only one this has happened to.

Katherine November 20, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Great, I’m so glad to be encouraging! Also, just wanted to mention that we did supplement with formula the first month or two, and contrary to the warnings you might get elsewhere, it did NOT cause my milk to dry up. Yes, it’s true that supplementing decreases milk supply. But, for us, it seemed cruel NOT to feed our daughter formula when my milk was low at night and she was starving and screaming bloody murder. Anyone who has said not to supplement clearly has never had a starving baby sucking on them in vain! If you are stubborn about nursing, keep pumping, getting rest, taking fenugreek, etc., you will find that your milk gradually increases and you need to supplement less and less. You’ll be spurting milk everywhere before you know it! :)

Namaste Gurl November 20, 2010 at 12:59 am

SUCH a adorable picture of little Summer! And YAY for weight progress– see, I knew and still believe highly that everything will work out! Say hi to Summer, the dogs and CD for me :) !

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Namaste,
Will do. :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) November 20, 2010 at 1:50 am

I recognize that photo! :-) Hugs to you guys. So glad Summer’s gained the weight she needed!

Mimi (Gingersnaps) November 20, 2010 at 2:08 am

I’m so happy for you! Your appetite reminds me of the Desperate Housewives episode when one character goes “It’s like having a treadmill strapped to your chest!”

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 6:05 am

Mimi,
Haha – I vaguely remember that episode. I think it was Lynette maybe?

Meagan November 20, 2010 at 2:30 am

Have you considered La Leche League? You wouldn’t have to feed her formula!

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Meagan,
Yes, I’ve heard really good things about La Leche League. Right now, we’re working with a lactation consultant, and as I produce more milk hoping to stop formula all together. However, for now, I’m not making enough milk – but it’s slowly getting there! :)

Meagan November 21, 2010 at 1:56 am

Sounds like you’ve got a plan. Breast feeding is so important (I’ve taken the science classes to prove it) so I encourage you to GET HER OFF formula ASAP. I do believe that La Leche League has a service where you can get actual breast milk from other mothers and so avoid giving formula to the baby? I might be mistaken. I learned in from all my Weston A. Price foundation reading.

Hanna M. November 20, 2010 at 6:57 am

Mmmm, warm oats with a big dollop of butter… It’s all that it takes to make me happy! I like it when the oats are slightly salted (not salty, but just enough to bring out the minerallike flavour of the oats).

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Hanna M,
Yes, I always add a pinch of sea salt while the oats are cooking. Love. :)

Maya November 20, 2010 at 8:34 am

That is such a precious picture! Doing the robot dance, I love it. Not like I know anything about breast feeding from first hand experience, but we did just learn about pregnancy and lactation in my nutrition course. I’m sure you already know that it just takes time and I’m glad that you’re making progress!

Hangry Pants November 20, 2010 at 9:27 am

Oh lordy she is so cute! xoxo

Julie November 20, 2010 at 10:51 am

Yay you! Such an inspiration. Wish I had the recipe for those sweet potato black bean cakes.

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Julie,
Will see what I can do. :)

A Teenage Gourmet November 20, 2010 at 11:04 am

Haha, I love the robot dance comment. I wish I could bring you a dinner, Heather! You seem to be doing a beautiful job with Summer so far. :)

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Sami,
Me too and for dessert I’d like to put in a request for some butternut squash fudge. ;) Hope you are doing well!

Carlee November 20, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Summers is adorable in her pink outfit! And, maybe a budding contestant for So you think you can dance?

Katy (The Singing Runner) November 20, 2010 at 12:41 pm

She is tooooooo cute! :)

Maryea @ Healthy Happy Mama November 20, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Oh, Summer is just so precious!
I definitely noticed a difference in my supply when I ate oatmeal. You are doing an amazing job, Heather. Hope your milk production continues to increase!

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Thanks Maryea. I hope so as well. :)

Kelly November 20, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Adorable…it is so amazing everything you do!

Hayley November 20, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Summer is such a doll!! She really does look like a beautiful porcelain little baby. WOOHOO on the weight gain!! Isn’t it crazy how our weight is set aside and we start worrying about our baby’s? I’m thrilled to hear Summer is back to her original weight + an ounce. That’s excellent news!

You’re doing great with the breast feeding…the only thing you can do is try and then hope for the best. It’ll happen! :) Lots of love to you, CD, and Summer.. xoxo

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 20, 2010 at 3:19 pm

So happy to hear the milk is coming in…slowly but surely, you’re getting there.

And yes…I was hungrier the first six months or so of nursing than I was my entire life, including pregnancy. The sheer amount of food I could put down was astounding! I was a bottomless pit! That leveled off by about 1 year or so….as baby starts eating more solids and less milk from mom, your appetite will level off but til then, enjoy the applesauce oaties…delish looking!

And she is beyond adorable!!!!!!!!! OMG soooooo beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!

Daniela November 20, 2010 at 5:23 pm

The lactation consultants at the hospital couldn’t believe how much milk I produced. I think it was due to my diet. I researched like crazy and I found that some of the best foods that promote milk production are alfalfa sprouts, sesame seeds, peanuts, oats, carrots, barley, brewers yeast…. Google galactagogue foods and you will find a lot more suggestions. Good luck!!!

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Cool – thanks Daniela. Someone else told me about peanuts and brewer’s yeast. Going to incorporate both into tonight’s dinner. :)

Emily November 20, 2010 at 8:43 pm

A diet heavy on the oats…MY DREAM COME TRUE!! I think I’m a little bit jealous of you right now. How could I not be with that cutey pie hanging out with you, too :) Happy to hear things are improving…keep on keeping on (pumping and eating).

Carrie November 20, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Thank you for continuing to share your life with all of us. Your blog gives me such a sense of joy & peace. Though your life must have a lot less of the latter these days!

How are the dogs adjusting to the little one? She is such a cutie!

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Carrie,
You’re so welcome, and yeah, not too much peace these days, but lots of joy. :) The dogs love Summer – they sniff her all over and are very protective of her. If we sit on the couch with her, they fight over who gets to sit next to whomever is holding Summer. It’s too cute.

Thanks for reading HEAB! :)

Deva (Voracious Vorilee) November 20, 2010 at 11:29 pm

I have to add my voice to the chorus: Summer is such an adorable baby! Is that a Gremlin I spot behind her on the right? So cute!

HEAB November 20, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Deva,
Thank you, and no, that’s not a gremlin, but I agree – looks like one. I should name him Gizmo. ;)

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly November 20, 2010 at 11:47 pm

So glad to hear about her weight gain!!! I apparently had problems with dropping weight and worrying my parents when I was just born, but it all worked out great. :-) Happy Saturday to you guys!

Meagan November 21, 2010 at 1:53 am

Heather! I have been trying a few different almond butters lately. Have you ever tried Trader Joes raw unsalted almond butter? IT’S TO DIE FOR. I love it because it doesn’t have the “weird” raw taste of the raw Maranatha almond butter which I used to buy.
Ones I tried recently:
365 WFs dry roasted unsalted
TJs dry roasted unsalted
TJs raw unsalted
and I’ve always known about:
Maranatha organic raw unsalted
Maranatha organic roasted unsalted

And all of these creamy by the way. And sometimes I even add my own salt to the jar :) It’s better!!

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 2:44 am

Meagan,
I’m jealous of all of your almond butter consumption! ;) I do love TJ’s unsalted raw almond butter – I always get the crunchy. That being said, I will always be a roasted girl at heart. Love TJ’s and 365 brand roasted unsalted crunchy.

Thanks for the La Leche League advice. I’ve heard so much about them, but didn’t realize they had a program for getting breast milk. Need to look into that for sure. I thought about getting breast milk for Summer, but then I thought it would probably be super expensive, but perhaps not? Thx again for tip!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) November 21, 2010 at 5:33 am

Awww, so glad Summer is back to her birth weight! She’s doing beautifully, and so are you, momma!! :D Good luck making milk!

Gigi November 21, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Summer looks adorable next to the stuffed toys!!
Goodluck with the breast feeding!

Kara Klopfenstein November 21, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Heather,
Congrats on your darling baby! This is my first time commenting as well but I love your blog! You are doing a great job with Summer. I wanted to weigh in on pumping since I pumped a TON with my third! I was advised to set the pump level to medium…this didn’t produce much at all for much. Once I turned the pump up to high my milk production really picked up and I was able to pump much more effectively as well. It’s def more uncomfortable initially but I quickly adapted and it payed off BIG TIME! Worth a try if you aren’t already doing that. Keep it up!!

Kara

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Kara,
Thanks so much for reading HEAB, and as far as the pumping goes, yes, I’m cranking it up to its highest setting. The first week, I had it much lower, but my lactation consultant told me to crank it up. It was really uncomfortable at first, but I’m getting used to it, and the higher setting definitely helps! Thx. :)

Erin November 21, 2010 at 6:37 pm

I love Summer! Continued love and support your way <3

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast November 21, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Oh my goodness, only 5 lbs away from your pre-pregnancy weight??? I’m 5 lbs away from mine and I had Annabelle 7 and a half months ago! Though I gained almost 50 lbs while pregnant… then Scott got me that ice cream maker… Haha, anyway, awesome job and good for you for being more concerned about Summer right now. I love the robot picture!

Nicole November 22, 2010 at 12:24 am

Too funny, it does look like she is doing the robot.