Chocolate Chip Cheezecake Pancakes

by HEAB on November 21, 2010

Several of you have recommended certain foods that are known to increase milk supply, and I’ve been eating them all, everything from oats to nutritional yeast.

For instance, last night’s dinner (thanks to reader Daniela and fellow blogger Pearl) contained nutritional yeast and peanuts, both galactagogue (milk producing) foods…

Veggie stir-fry with mustard and nooch, topped with brisket and peanuts

However, I think my favorite milk producing recipe I’ve come across thus far has been for Lactation Cookies (Thanks for the tip Deadra!). If you google lactation cookies, you’ll find several different recipes, and the 3 constant ingredients seem to be oats, nutritional yeast, and flax seed. Instead of cookies, I decided to HEABify and make Lactation Pancakes. After all, it is Pancake Sunday. :)

First I combined all of my dry ingredients in the Magic Bullet…

Dry Ingredients:

1/2 cup rolled oats

2 TBSP flax seed meal

2 TBSP nutritional yeast

1 packet stevia or sweetener of choice

1/4 tsp baking powder

pinch of salt

Next I blended 2 egg whites on low in the Vita-Mix until fluffy and then blended in 1 whole egg + my dry ingredients. I also stirred in 2 chopped squares of a Lindt 85% chocolate bar and about 2 TBSP unsweetened shredded coconut. I then cooked up two big pancakes over medium heat on the griddle, flipping after about 90 seconds.

Moo Juice pancakes topped with a pat of butter and a drizzle of maple syrup

These were good, especially with all the melted chocolate in the middle. Definitely not your typical light and fluffy buttermilk pancakes, but tasty none the less. The nooch gave them kind of a nutty cheesy taste, hence my title. Good stuff, and keep in mind, this is not just a recipe for breast feeding moms. ;)

Before I go, I wanted to send a big thank-you to Cynthia from It All Changes for the beautiful quilt she made for Summer. Thanks Cynthia – we love it!

Einstein investigating Summer’s new quilt

Happy Pancake Sunday my friends!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 21, 2010 at 11:01 am

I need to try these since I am starting to use nooch again! I hope things are going well for you and little Summer in the breast feeding area! Enjoy your Sunday Heather!

Susan November 21, 2010 at 11:03 am

That quilt is beautiful!

Have you tried mixing a bit of nooch into some creamy (not chunky) PB? It’s actually really good! I got the tip from Averie when making her raw PB cups, but now I’ve just been doing it with my PB sandwiches as well!

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Susan,
Good call – I’ve made Averie’s PB cups before, and I loved the PB nooch combo. I think it would taste great atop of oats! Thanks for the reminder. :)

Kristina @ spabettie November 21, 2010 at 11:04 am

those pancakes sound great… I’m sitting here while Jason makes coffee, trying to decide what’s for breakfast… I think I could make these…

Cynthia’s quilt is beautiful!

Happy Sunday, HEAB Family! <3

Katie November 21, 2010 at 11:07 am

Is it wrong that I think your savory dinner looks far better than that sweet breakfast? What’s going on with me?!?!

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Katie,
Of course not…dinner involved mustard. ;)

Little Bookworm November 21, 2010 at 11:16 am

The pancakes sound really interesting, love the addition of chocolate. :) The quilt looks lovely as well.

Natalia - a side of simple November 21, 2010 at 11:18 am

Happy pancake Sunday :)
And thanks for the new scattergories word: galactagogue. I almost tried to use heabify a few weeks ago when I was playing with friends….

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Natalia,
Haha – that’s awesome. Perhaps “Heabify” will make it into the Scrabble dictionary someday. :)

Tabitha November 21, 2010 at 11:20 am

Oh that dinner looks delicious. I tend to live on oats and flaxseed, I struggle to eat protein and come here when I’m stumped for nutricious meals.

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Tabitha,
Honored you come to HEAB when you’re stumped. :)

VeggieGirl November 21, 2010 at 11:26 am

BEAUTIFUL quilt!!

I miss you, dear HEAB!

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Miss u too VG! :)

Matt November 21, 2010 at 11:26 am

That dinner looks so awesome! Now I am craving some brisket! LOL.

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Matt,
My mom made the brisket – cooked it all night long. Amazing. Hope you get some soon! :)

Victoria (District Chocoholic) November 21, 2010 at 11:29 am

Um, wow. I have no need to lactate anytime soon, but I think I want those pancakes anyway…

Christy Ghaffari November 21, 2010 at 11:30 am

What is nooch?

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Christy,
Nooch = nutritional yeast. It can be found in the bulk bins at Whole Foods. It comes in flake forms and has a nutty/cheesy taste, and a of vegans use it to make cheesy tasting dishes. It’s packed full of B vitamins and contains protein as well. Good stuff!

Dorry November 21, 2010 at 11:36 am

That quilt is beautiful!!!! And so are your pancakes. Yum! I received a magic bullet as a wedding gift and I think it’s time I give it some use.

Ella November 21, 2010 at 11:53 am

I had no idea that breast feeding was such a long haul – I always kind of assumed the milk came the second the baby was born! I’m only 20 though which kind of gives me an excuse (no babies in the foreseeable future here!). Good luck with everything – and those pancakes look delicious!!

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Ella,
I used to think the same thing. For some women, it comes easy – milk is flowing a few days after the baby is born, and there are no problems. However, for many it’s not that easy, myself included. Still working on it though. :)

Cynthia (It All Changes) November 21, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I’m glad you are getting such good advice on helping your milk come in. The food looks so good…I might try it though I have no need to lactate.

I’m glad Einstein thinks the quilt is okay.

Christin@purplebirdblog November 21, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I would have never thought to put nutritional yeast in pancakes! And your brisket/stir fry concoction is making my mouth water!

TSB November 21, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I enjoy those stir-fry concoctions 2 or 3 times a day. Your pancakes look wonderful. I drowned mine in maple-yogurt this morning. Topped with hazelnut butter and a mashed banana.

Tangy @ A Taste of Tangy November 21, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Whoa, that is a whole lot of flavors in one bowl. I would have never thought to put peanuts in with the rest of that stuff! Hopefully your milk comes in soon! I never had to wait long for mine–the things we take for granted!

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Tangy,
Yeah, the peanuts were kind of an afterthought, but it worked. :)

Jenny R. November 21, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I hope the milk comes splashing out!! Cute doggy pic :p

lindsay November 21, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Oh that dinner looks good. I love a good hearty stir fry! But never had lactation cookies, thats too funny! I bet they are delicous though. ;)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 21, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Those pancakes look delicious! Love the fact they have a few different grains (well, grains and seeds :P ) in them, too. Does the nutritional yeast change the taste at all?

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Mary,
Yeah, you can definitely taste the nutritional yeast – kind of a cheesy nutty taste. I liked it. :)

grocery goddess jen November 21, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Wow, I never even knew there were foods out there to promote lactation! Obviously I’m not a mom yet :)

Those pancakes sounds really interesting and good, and I hope they work their magic.

Elesnor November 21, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I forgot about your pancake Sundays but I did have some this morning, with chocolate peanut butter and strawberry jam, mmmmmm
These look great though, I’ll definitely give them a go and also, I might have to give you the Best Word Ever Used in a Blog award – galactagogue, brilliant!
Hope you, CD and the beautiful Summer are all good x

Eleanor November 21, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Oops – you know you’re not doing well when you can’t spell your own name!

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Hehe – thanks Elesnor. ;)

Faith November 21, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Hello Heather!

I am a brand-new blogger, but have been following your blog for quite some time!

This has nothing to do with lactating, but in light of pancake Sunday, I noticed that you don’t often use buckwheat. Buckwheat is one of my FAVORITE pancake grains. It has a nice heartiness to it and it can be used in place of wheat flour, since we tend to eat so much of it!

My favorite is chocolate blueberry buckwheat pancakes!

I use raw cacao and frozen blueberries! YUM! I’ll have to make a post about it!

I love your blog!

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Faith,
Yes, please post your recipe for buckwheat pancakes. I have some sitting in my freezer but never use it. Would love some different ideas and thanks for reading HEAB. :)

Nicole November 21, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Do what you gotta do girl to get that milk flowing!
The quilt is beautiful!!

Emily November 21, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Yayyy to Moo Juice Pancakes…I hope they work :) I think the addition of chocolate was perfect too :)

melissa @ the delicate place November 21, 2010 at 3:48 pm

oh brisket. you are so delicious. want to hear something random? i’m allergic to nooch! every time i eat it, my lips get huge like i’ve had lip injections and tiny itchy bumps…who knew i was allergic to yeast?! moo juice pancakes?!!! you are too much ;p

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Melissa,
My mom used to be the same way but with wine. She had to drink it with a straw to prevent her lips from having a reaction – they would burn and feel really waxy and peel.

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious November 21, 2010 at 3:48 pm

congrats on your baby girl. i discovered your blog awhile ago and really enjoy your recipes. your stew looks soooo good!!!
not sure if someone mentioned eating cabbage, dill, fenugreek, melons and mackerel will all increase your milk production.

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Christyn,
Didn’t know about the cabbage – good news since I love it and included it in last night’s stir fry. Taking lots of fenugreek as well. Thx for the tip!

jessica November 21, 2010 at 3:51 pm

These look delish! I need to get in the habit of making pancakes or waffles more often- they’re sooo good. And what a beautiful quilt! Handmade gifts are the BEST!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 21, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I love lactation-enhancing foods and learning about them. I am not currently lactating…3.5 years was long enough :) but I am always fascinated on what foods boost milk supply. I actually have a book and am friends with the author (we co-moderate a breastfeeding forum together for those struggling w/ milk supply issues) but anyway the book is phenomenal b/c it gives recipes, foods, and the SCIENCE behind why these foods are lactogenic vs. not. It’s all so fascinating to me.

I am glad you’re rockin’ the lacto cookies, pancakes, and everything else :)

And the quilt…gorgeous! Summer is a lucky girl :)

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Averie
What’s the book – I want to read it!

Em November 21, 2010 at 5:08 pm

You are such an amazing mama to be working so hard for Summer. Just an idea- when I was struggling to increase my milk supply, I found that eating a snack around 3am helped a lot, even if it was just a glass of kefir or crackers with peanut butter I spread before bedtime. I was nursing a lot overnight and think my body needed a refueling to continue production. It took me several months to reach the point where I could cut out supplementing, but it was well worth the effort. Keep up the good eating and all your work nursing and pumping!

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Em,
Thanks so much for the encouragement and yes, I probably should eat more in the middle of the night as I’m pumping every 3 hours. I’ve been grabbing a cookie here and there, but should probably eat something a little more substantial. Thx for the tip and good to know that I may not have to supplement forever. :)

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama November 21, 2010 at 5:08 pm

It sounds like you are getting great advice on all the milk-producing foods. Both your dinner and breakfast look delicious!

P.S. You inspired me to create a post featuring my breastfeeding story. :-)

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Maryea,
Would you mind sharing the link to your post? I’d love to read it – I clicked on your site but couldn’t find it. Thx so much!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama November 22, 2010 at 9:08 am

:-) Here it is:

(I hope this link works-I’m not on my computer…)

Jen November 21, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Oh my. That picture looks fantastic – they’re big and plump :)

Love the stir-fry’s…something about those ‘soggy’ soaked veggies ;)

At least Einstein’s not lying on or eating the quilt!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather November 21, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I didn’t know nooch was milk producing. Yum to that one!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) November 21, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Such yummy eats! If I was closer I would do some acupuncture points to promote lactation! On another note, I made your maple nut oaties, doubled the recipe.. oh my. Always come out fantastic. Its like the deliciousness of granola in a crunchy yet chewy cookie, but better. My taste testers are huge fans :)

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Felicia,
Wish you were here. I know some of the points on my ears – been pressing them. :)

So glad you and your taste testers enjoyed the Oaties – definitely one of my all-time favorite recipes!

M November 21, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Hey Heather…

I decided to do a taste taste-I roasted half a butternut squash and half a hubbards squash,and guess what?

For me the hubbards was far tastier! Super yum! Have you tried Hubbards squash(not to be confused with acorn squash which is also dark green).

Hubbards squash roasted YUM (I had a side of homemade cranberry sauce on the side mmmm)

Love to hear your thoughts on good ol Hubbards :)

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 8:21 pm

M,
Don’t think I’ve ever had a Hubbard sqash – at least I’ve never cooked one myself. Must try one now! :)

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast November 21, 2010 at 8:00 pm

I never thought about using my blender for making pancake batter, great idea!

BroccoliHut November 21, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Wow, beautiful quilt! I was actually just in Hancock Fabrics yesterday with Seth (don’t ask), and I was looking through all their quilting books. It looks like such a fun hobby!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 21, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Those pancakes sound interesting!

Amanda November 21, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Hey Heather-
Just wanted to say how admirable it is that you are working so hard at nursing and giving your baby what you think is the best!! So many would have given up long ago! So inspiring!

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Thanks Amanda – doing the best I can. :)

Cailin @ Stir Crazy November 21, 2010 at 8:35 pm

I’m always so intrigued by your food combinations. They are often ingredients I wouldn’t think to mix together, yet when I read about them here they sound so good! This is the first time I’ve heard the term “nooch”, and have never tried nutritional yeast but am tempted to.
How sweet of Cynthia to send you that beautiful quilt! I haven’t quilted at all since my little guy was born, but I’m itching to get back to it.

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Cailin,
I love nooch. Great cheesy sub in recipes. Really good mixed with hummus and tahini and eaten atop veggies or pizza. Another blogger started the trend – Humnut sauce. You should try it! :)

Thetreadmilldiaries November 21, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Beautiful quilt by Cynthia. I bet the family will get lots of enjoyment out of it.

Danielle Discovers November 21, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Can I hire you on as a personal full-time cook and teacher??

I don’t think there has been a post where I haven’t wanted to run to the kitchen to try and recreate a recipe by you. I have often heard of nutritional yeast, but never tried it. I’d like to think I am a creative person, but for some reason I have a rough time being creative in the kitchen.

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Danielle,
Thanks so much – I take that as a big compliment. I love nutritional yeast ever since my vegetarian days. I started using it in this cashew “cheese” sauce I make, and I’ve been a fan ever since. Makes a great mac n cheese as well. :)

Shirley @ gfe November 21, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Heather, I just remembered this excellent post (link below) that a friend of mine did a while back on Nourishing the New Mom–what foods to eat and what foods to avoid when breastfeeding initially. Hope you’ll find it helpful. :-)

That quilt is gorgeous! Hugs to all,
Shirley

HEAB November 21, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Shirley,
Thanks so much. Off to read it right now. Hope you are doing well! :)

olivia November 21, 2010 at 10:14 pm

hi, i’m confused now – i thought i read somewhere that brewer’s yeast was good for lactation, and used to have a few spoonfuls in my oatmeal every morning when i was breastfeeding… but was it nutritional yeast all along? great big hug to you on all your bf’ing efforts, i had a hard time with it, too. is the scent of l’eau de maple syrup coming out your pores yet from all the fenugreek? ;) that part was kinda fun.

HEAB November 22, 2010 at 2:48 am

Olivia,
I’ve read to use brewer’s yeast or nutritional yeast. I know they’re different, but I’ve seen both listed under lactating foods. I’m almost out of nooch and will probably buy brewer’s as it seems to be the more common one listed, and no not smelling like maple syrup yet. I keep reading that I should – maybe I’m not taking enough Fenugreek. I have to agree – I think it would be fun to smell so sweet. ;)

Amy at TheSceneFromMe November 21, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Pancakes look sweet and plentiful. My favorite addition when making pancakes is butterscotch chips. Then drizzle on a little bit of honey and dig in!

HEAB November 22, 2010 at 2:45 am

Amy,
I love butterscotch chips but haven’t had them in ages. Sounds delicious!

Georgie Fear November 21, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I think you should have called them Mom Juice pancakes not Moo Juice…. :)

Breast of luck, I mean BEST of luck with nursing. :)

Georgie

HEAB November 22, 2010 at 2:45 am

Georgie,
Hehe – good call. :)

Nicole November 21, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Heather, My ex-sister in law is from India. She used to eat this Indian concoction when she was nursing my niece. She snacked on it all day long. I don’t remember what it was, I’m sorry. But she swore by it and said it was a custom where she’s from. maybe you could look it up or ask someone you think might know? I would ask for you, but she and my brother have since divorced, and not amicably. Good luck.

HEAB November 22, 2010 at 2:44 am

Nicole,
I’ll do my research and see what I can find. Thx for the tip! :)

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad November 22, 2010 at 12:32 am

OMG <3 brisket.

Just had to say that.

Namaste Gurl November 22, 2010 at 12:55 am

I consumed all the lactating foods on your list today, even though I am in no rush to start lactating :)
I don’t think you’ll have a problem with the oats part :)
xoxo

HEAB November 22, 2010 at 2:43 am

Namaste,
Haha – I don’t think you will either. You’re going to be a milk flowin’ mama someday for sure! :)

Jonelle November 22, 2010 at 3:57 am

Heather- Congrats on your baby! I am behind on posts, and was so excited to see you had her! That dinner looks AMAZING! Tonight I thought of you and your inspiration while I ate my almond butter with flax from Trader Joes. Thank you! As an herbalist and retired doula and childbirth educator, i see alot of women who want to increase their milk supply. My website (Herbalogie.com) carries a phenomenal herbal blend called Nursing Magic that gets rave reviews. Let me know if I can help at all.:) Enjoy that sweet new baby sweetness!
The link for nursing magic:

HEAB November 22, 2010 at 6:23 am

Thanks so much Jonelle. Glad to hear I was in your thoughts last night – oh how I love TJ’s almond butter with flax! I checked out the Nursing Magic, and it’s very similar to the Mother Love More Milk supplements that I’m currently taking. Got it bookmarked! :)

Healthy Chocoholic November 22, 2010 at 11:41 am

I absolutely love how you can make up your own recipes and they all look fabulous!!!! Ususally my cooking attempts look like something exploded…..maybe one day I’ll be able to actually cook my own recipes.

HEAB November 22, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Healthy Chocolate,
Trust me, I’ve had many explosions in my kitchen as well. ;)

Faith November 22, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Hey Heather!

I had the most DELICIOUS breakfast this morning!

Check it out:

Your stir-fry looks amazing too. I love making a peanut sauce with garlic and honey and peanut butter and soy sauce (or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, which is what I use). Yum!

Lea @ Healthy Coconut November 22, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Such creative ideas in the kitchen, I love it. Can you taste the nutritional yeast in the pancake? It’s savory and sweet?

HEAB November 22, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Lea,
You can taste the nooch – it gave the pancake kind of a nutty cheesy taste, and the stevia, chocolate, and coconut made it more sweet than savory. ‘Twas yummy. :)

Kiran November 23, 2010 at 12:33 am

I love pancakes and these looks so yum!

The quilt reminds me of my baby darling nephew. Babies are angels :)

{ 2 trackbacks }