Night Shift

by HEAB on November 24, 2010

CD usually takes the night shift with Summer. My lactation consultant told me (as ironic as it may sound) that as new mother, it is imperative that I get some rest. Up until last week, I was trying to nurse, supplement Summer with my pumped breast milk + formula, and then pump all throughout the day and evening, and I was hardly getting any sleep. So, CD graciously took over Summer’s nighttime feedings, and I just wake up every 3 hours to pump. However, Chris is running a 5-mile road race tomorrow, and so tonight, it’s just me and Summer. In preparation for our long evening together we sacked out on the couch after dinner with Einstein. :)

Speaking of dinner, this is one of the first nights we haven’t had food delivered – again, many thanks to our family and friends for all the yummy meals you have provided. We kept things fairly simple – CD baked up a Trader Joe’s sausage pizza, his pre-race meal of choice, and I made CD’s mustard bacon stir-fry for myself.

IMG_6694.JPG IMG_6693.JPG

I forgot to add nooch to my dinner, and so I added it to dessert…

Cheesecake Oat Bran A La Mode: 1/2 cup oat bran cooked in water with 1 TBSP nooch stirred in after cooking and topped with vanilla ice-cream and cinnamon.

Weird combo? Perhaps, but you guys should be used to that by now. ‘Twas tasty.

OK, Summer is asleep, and so I should hit the hay as well. Good night and Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Gina November 24, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Aww, HEAB! I hope you get a goodnight of rest :)
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) November 24, 2010 at 11:58 pm

precious picture! i love the pics of baby and mom or dad asleep together.
happy thanksgiving~SO much more to be grateful for this year, huh? :D

HEAB November 25, 2010 at 8:33 am

Heather – yes, lots to be grateful for. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog November 25, 2010 at 12:19 am

Oooooo noochy goodness… I must give that a try! I can’t get enough nooch these days!

Happy Thanksgiving, dearest Heather and family! xoxo

HEAB November 25, 2010 at 8:33 am

Same to you Christin. :)

Runeatrepeat November 25, 2010 at 12:46 am

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am thankful that I can come here and read about your new mom adventures and hopefully learn a thing or two :) You continue to set a happy, healthy example for your readers. <3, Monica

Marina November 25, 2010 at 1:09 am

Oh what a wonderful picture of you three!
I hope you manage to get some rest, and I’ll keep fingers crossed for CD’s race!
and btw, I am amazed how you have the energy and will to make your own meals. I think that after I’ll give birth in a few years :D , I’ll have people pamper me and do all the stuff for me :) )

HEAB November 25, 2010 at 8:35 am

Marina,
I have to admit, I’m getting used to people bringing us food. We’ve got meals lined up for the next couple of weeks, and I’m going to be very sad when they stop arriving. It’s been so great!

Clairerose C November 25, 2010 at 1:18 am

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!Einstein is protecting he ladies of the house…how sweet:-)cc

Tangy @ A Taste of Tangy November 25, 2010 at 1:23 am

O.M.G. that picture on the couch is just priceless!! Love it!

Goddess Leonie November 25, 2010 at 4:25 am

You are doing SO well sweetie.
SO well.
You are such a good mama.
You are doing the hard yards.
It will get easier.
I promise you.
We are all rooting for you sweetpea and sending good thoughts and energy!!!

And you are reading the Red Tent hey?
That book is life changing :)

HEAB November 25, 2010 at 8:36 am

Thanks so much Goddess Leonie. And yes, just finished the Red Tent last night…before passing out. ;) Such a great book! Hope you are doing well sweet mama.

Little Bookworm November 25, 2010 at 5:31 am

Hope you had a great evening. Love the idea of ice cream and oat bran together. I’ve had porridge with banana softserve before but never ice cream. Hope you have a fantastic Thursday! :)

lindsay November 25, 2010 at 6:48 am

that combo sounds good to me. And what a sweet looking family! Just too cute!
LC

Kristinefitness November 25, 2010 at 7:14 am

Hope you got lots of rest ;)

I am picking up some nutritional yeast today, thanks for inspiring another addition to my kitchen!

HEAB November 25, 2010 at 8:37 am

Kristine,
welcome. :)

Lauren at KeepItSweet November 25, 2010 at 7:36 am

i think i need to try out this oat bran / ice cream combo. happy thanksgiving!

Erica November 25, 2010 at 7:37 am

oh my precious. You two look so peaceful sleeping :) Glad y’all are doing well and good luck today CD! Happy Thanksgiving

Krystina (Basil & Wine) November 25, 2010 at 7:38 am

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Debra J. November 25, 2010 at 7:44 am

What a sweet picture. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 25, 2010 at 7:52 am

Happy Thanksgiving Heather! Enjoy your day with your family! :)

Whitney November 25, 2010 at 7:56 am

Happy Thanksgiving! Love the picture of you with her and the pup! I’ll be looking for CD at the Bolt!

HEAB November 25, 2010 at 8:38 am

Whitney,
Good luck today. We wanted to come out and cheer, but Summer and I slept in until 7. Hope you and Nick have a wonderful Thanksgiving! :)

Jen November 25, 2010 at 8:23 am

What a picture! How is Einstein with the baby? My friend had to give her dog away because he was too “rambunctious” around the baby – not his fault, he was just being a normal “snoopy” type of dog :)

Good luck on the race CD!

HEAB November 25, 2010 at 8:38 am

Jen,
Einstein and Radley love Summer. They are very gentle with her and like to sniff her all over, and then they fight over who gets to sit next to her. It’s so cute. :)

rebecca lustig November 25, 2010 at 8:30 am

Im pretty suer that picture is the epidome of motherhood. its a beautiful thing!

hope you have a restful, happy day :)

Kelly November 25, 2010 at 8:33 am

I can only imagine how tired you must be. Wait I take that back…there is no way I can imagine how tired you are. Happy Thanksgiving and goodluck to CD today and his race! :)

Healthy Chocoholic November 25, 2010 at 8:39 am

Awww ya’ll look so cute!!!!!!!! Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!!!!

Katie November 25, 2010 at 8:45 am

Aww, that is the sweetest picture of you guys all curled up on the couch! It kind of makes me want to go back to sleep in preparation for being a mom in 6 monhts. ;-) Happy Thanksgiving!!

HEAB November 25, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Katie,
Yes, sleep lots…while you can. :) Honestly, it’s not too bad. I try and take naps when Summer sleeps. I’m tired but not like I thought I would be. You’ll do great. :)

grocery goddess coaching November 25, 2010 at 9:33 am

Lovely picture, I hope you guys got some sleep. Enjoy your first Thanksgiving as a mommy!

Melissa @ TryingToHeal November 25, 2010 at 9:43 am

ah, mommy looks tired. I wish i could help!

btw, finished that mustard yet?!

HEAB November 25, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Melissa,
Nope, but I put a huge dent in it last night. :)

Kim November 25, 2010 at 9:55 am

Believe it or not, at some point, you will miss those nights. My nights like that are usually now when Bella is sick, which are never fun! Fred and I always switched off every other shift, she was up I think every 3 hrs. I didnt breastfeed, we did have the prescription formula to deal with, which was a huge hassle to prepare. I remember one morning being so tired I poured it into my coffee instead of cream. Uhhhh, still dont know how Bella drank that horrid stuff! Have a great Thanksgiving!

HEAB November 25, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Kim,
I was wondering what kind of formula you used. We tried Earth’s Best, but she seems to be doing better on Similac – less spitting up. Still not thrilled with the ingredients.

kim November 25, 2010 at 3:13 pm

We used Neocate, which our GI perscribed for her the first 9 months of life. $65 a pop, about $1000 a month, our insurance did not cover. The next step was a feeding tube, again all food allergy related ( milk protein). However, when we crossed our fingers and weaned her off the liquid gold, the GI recommended Good Start. She did really well on that. The formula shuffle, never fun!

Nicole November 25, 2010 at 10:09 am

Love the picture!! So precious. Have an amazing first Thanksgiving with Summer!!! xoxo

Kristina @ spabettie November 25, 2010 at 10:13 am

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, HEABS !!

S @ extremebalance.net/blog November 25, 2010 at 10:26 am

You guys are too cute! Go CD, and here’s hoping the ladies got some sleep last night, too!

gina (fitnessista) November 25, 2010 at 10:42 am

that picture melts my heart! love it :)
hope you guys are having a wonderful thanksgiving <3
love you!

melissa @ the delicate place November 25, 2010 at 10:44 am

aww precious! i hope you get some much needed rest heather! have a blessed thanksgiving!

Natalia - a side of simple November 25, 2010 at 10:52 am

What a perfect moment caught in that picture :)
Happy Thanksgiving, Heather. Much love and hope CD has a great race! Don’t forget to whip out the mustard for Thanksgiving…

Cynthia (It All Changes) November 25, 2010 at 11:25 am

That picture is adorable. Einstein is keeping you company.

Happy Thanksgiving my friends!

Ashley November 25, 2010 at 11:38 am

Awww, Happy Thanksgiving Heather!! What a great first holiday for Summer to help celebrate. :)

Meagan November 25, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I don’t find your combos weird at all. But what is nooch? I am such a fan of vanilla ice cream. I would love to have some today with apple crisp, but that probably won’t happen.

HEAB November 25, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Meagan – make it happen! :) Nooch = nutritional yeast.

Alyssa November 25, 2010 at 1:51 pm

You guys look exhausted!! Get some rest :-) And Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Ana November 25, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your beautiful family Heather!!

Josie November 25, 2010 at 3:20 pm

happy thanksgiving, HEAB! i think Summer looks like CD in that pic. God bless you all!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 25, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Oh god, Heather, I remember those days. The nonstop, round the clock nursing and pumping. One is never as tired, exhausted and thinking you just cannot do one more day, one more feeding, basically just carry on as life is in new motherhood. No one can really understand til you’ve BEEN THERE!

And I have. Scott left me with Skylar when she was 5 days old for a biz trip and I remember wondering how I was going to make it thru til the next morning. Let alone the whole trip. I look back on it all…and thank god nature helps us blur the lines and forget about some of it b/c it was a sleep deprived haze!

But…you are doing amazing! You are wonderful mother, Summer is precious! You WILL get thru this and if you ever need an ear or a shoulder, I am here :)

And yes, sleep is important but I will say, I never figured out that whole “sleep when the baby sleeps” routine. That’s when I showered and pumped. LOL

Happy Thanksgiving!!!
xoxo

HEAB November 25, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Averie,
I’ve had several “I cannot do one more day” moments, but I just keep trucking along reminding myself that there are 1000′s of other new moms up at 3 AM too. I really try to nap when Summer sleeps, but yeah, I often find myself in a hot bath tub or yeah, connected to the pump. ;)

Courtney (greeneyedrunner) November 25, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Heather! Congrats to CD on the Turkey Trot, I’m sure he was done before half of the participants even started, he’s so fast!

Summer is such a perfect little being, I have a weakness for baby hands so that picture just warms my heart :)

HEAB November 25, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Courtney, I love Summer’s hands! She’s got CD’s long fingers, and she ALWAYS sleeps with her hands above her head – it’s the cutest thing!

Courtney (greeneyedrunner) November 26, 2010 at 4:37 am

How precious! My sister is four years younger than me, and I’ve been obsessed with her hands since she was born…when she first learned the word “no” I was an unhappy camper until I saw those baby hands! Luckily for her, she still has hands like that-if I ever get mad at her all she has to do is hold them up and it’s over. It’s the same thing with animal paws haha.

TSB November 25, 2010 at 3:54 pm

That must be hard for you because it is the quality of the sleep and not the quantity that matters. Being disrupted at regular intervals must be exhausting (I know about this!).
Heather, you are such an intuitive eater! I fear this a failure of mine. Do you ever go beyond the point of feeling stuffed and simply continue because “what the heck”? Because I do. I can be in pain and I will keep going for some strange reason. And then I will continue to keep eating shortly thereafter just to keep to my scheduled and habitual times.
An extra few slices of bread with lunch? That’s me – after a meal that is generously too large for a meal at all!
I hope I someday reach your intuititve level. For now, I continue to stuff and repeat. Stuff and repeat.
I should start a blog and give it that title!

HEAB November 25, 2010 at 5:13 pm

TSB,
Trust me, I have my moments, and it usually involves sugar. Ice-cream is a major downfall of mine – I swear sometimes I feel like I could eat the whole half gallon. Even if I’m full, can’t seem to stop eating it. So, I usually just don’t buy it…and then I got pregnant. We’ve kept is stocked ever since, and there have been a lot of “what the heck” moments in my life lately. Again, I’ve so been there, and I just try to eat well about 90% of the time…the remaining 10% is all ice-cream. Just stay positive – you’ll get there. :)

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast November 25, 2010 at 4:40 pm

I love your crazy combinations! The other day I thought of you when I was eating a crazy combo of my own – purple cabbage with onions and mushrooms topped with lentil hummus and mustard. :) Good luck tonight – hopefully you get a little rest.

Annie@stronghealthyfit November 25, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Love your meals. I want to eat more like you do! Hope your night went well.

HEAB November 25, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Annie,
Really? I take that as a huge compliment. Thank you. Oh, and our evening went just fine. Summer did great – sleeps like a log…at least for 3 hours at a time anyway. ;)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood November 25, 2010 at 9:48 pm

You mummy and daughter are just too cute ;) And your oat bran combo IS weird but… Not surprising. After all, you ARE HEAB. You have a reputation to uphold, keke :-D

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hayley November 26, 2010 at 9:55 am

Bless your husband for taking nighttime feeding shifts!!! I wish I could get Chris to help out more at night, which is why I love the weekends since we take turns. :) I think Chloe has that exact same outfit Summer is wearing in your picture. She looks all snuggly and warm!

I hope CD’s race went well and that you guys had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your new little family!

Joy November 27, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Ohhhh emm geee cutest pic ever

whitney November 27, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Awwwwww Summer is so witttle! Look at those wittle fingers!!!! And all that wittle hair!

Okay, I’m done :P