Leftovers

by HEAB on November 27, 2010

2 quick and easy dishes for your Thanksgiving leftovers…

Pumpkin pie oatmeal: rolled oats, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, heavy whipping cream (whipped with my handy dandy Aerolatte milk frother)

HEAB’s no-bake post Thanksgiving casserole: quinoa, chopped turkey, 1/2 cup canned pumpkin, 1 TBSP butter, ! TBSP brewer’s yeast, and pepper.

Stir together. Consume. Smile.

P.S. During the Boulevard Bolt, the race CD participated in on Thanksgiving day, someone cheered him on with, Show Summer how it’s done. Hilarious, but we have no idea who it was. Please tell me if it was you. :)

Georgie @ Georgie Goes Healthy November 27, 2010 at 9:06 am

That no-bake post thanksgiving casserole looks so good! I love making creative thanksgiving leftovers meals – yours are particularly great because they don’t take too much time!! Thanks for those!

HEAB November 27, 2010 at 10:40 am

Georgie,
You’re welcome. :)

Heather November 27, 2010 at 9:11 am

I love Thanksgiving leftovers! I’m actually sitting here right now with a bowl of pumpkin oats topped with cranberry relish! Hope you had a great holiday!

Little Bookworm November 27, 2010 at 9:19 am

Love the idea of that oatmeal, though I think it’d taste amazing with apple instead of pumpkin as well. :) Have a great weekend!

HEAB November 27, 2010 at 10:41 am

LB,
Yes, I believe it would. :)

Erika [FoodFitnessFun] November 27, 2010 at 9:36 am

Mmmm. Both ideas look great – I have tons of leftovers to use up! :-D

Anne November 27, 2010 at 9:39 am

Yesterday I mixed sweet potato casserole (the vegan recipe from Oh She Glows) into my oat bran and topped with cranberries. A great sub for pumpkin if you’ve already, ahem, demolished your pie.

HEAB November 27, 2010 at 10:41 am

Anne,
Hehe – good call. Sounds delicious. :)

Jen November 27, 2010 at 10:05 am

That is hilarious about the sign – did you recognized the person? Have a picture? So you didn’t have to be there with a sign this year after all!

HEAB November 27, 2010 at 10:42 am

Jen,
Wasn’t there myself, and CD didn’t see who it was – they yelled “Show Summer how it’s done” from across the street when he ran by.

Nicole November 27, 2010 at 10:13 am

I’ve been searching the internet for leftover recipes like crazy bc we have WAY too much turkey. (everything else will go by the end of the weekend) I love that casserole idea!! The whipped cream idea doesn’t sound bad either…

XOXO

I hope you whoever cheered CD on at the race! Hilarious!

Courtney November 27, 2010 at 10:21 am

That is so funny! I hope you find out who it was, lol :)

Lauren at KeepItSweet November 27, 2010 at 10:23 am

that is so funny! i hope his race went well:-)

Natalia - a side of simple November 27, 2010 at 11:07 am

“Stir together, consume, smile,” are possibly the best recipe directions ever :)

Corey @ the runner's cookie November 27, 2010 at 11:11 am

I’ve been loving the pumpkin pie oatmeal lately! And I can’t wait to dig into some leftovers later today. Congrats to CD on his great run!! I bet the Summer comment made him smile :)

melissa @ the delicate place November 27, 2010 at 11:13 am

nate loves just mixing cold turkey with cranberry relish and eating it! i have a totally new twist of a leftovers recipe i’ll post tomorrow. even if the turkey runs out, it’s good on any light fish or fowl!

Melissa November 27, 2010 at 11:36 am

Those are great recipes. You’re a treasure. It wasn’t me, but I did see him running like a maniac. He’s awesome.

Tangy @ A Taste of Tangy November 27, 2010 at 11:50 am

Yay for leftovers!! I love the creative combos you come up with!! Unfortunately I did not cook any food that day and against my better judgement, I did not bring any leftovers home from the family Thanksgiving. I totally want more turkey!!

Katie November 27, 2010 at 11:54 am

I like Thanksgiving leftovers better than the actual meal. I pretty much just put a little of everything into a bowl, stir and eat. It might look gross, but sweet potatoes, turkey, cranberry and stuffing mash? Yes, please.

HEAB November 27, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Katie,
90% of my meals look gross – no shame!

Georgie Fear November 27, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Just saw first commenter – WHOA! There’s ANOTHER Georgie out there! I must go say hi!

I love stir-together-and dig-in meals. I’m a total food mixer. :) Heather if you keep eating pumpkin with every meal you will be orange soon!

Georgie

HEAB November 27, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Georgie,
I know – going to be glowing very soon!

Ann Claire November 27, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Mmm those look like yummy leftovers! Too funny about the person who cheered for CD.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 27, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Our leftovers are already gone. :( I added a pumpkin pie slice to my oatmeal yesterday, though!

Christin@purplebirdblog November 27, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Mmmmm, I’m loving that bowl of leftover goodness with the turkey and pumpkin! :D

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast November 27, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I’m with you on the “pumpkin pie” oats. Its funny, normally I crave chocolate, but I can’t seem to get enough pumpkin lately! For my oats – I microwaved a bigger sized Brancake on the bottom of the bowl as the crust, topped with pumpkin spiced oat bran and a dollop of coconut cream. I love your idea of mixing pumpkin in with quinoa – I’m definitely going to try that, maybe with rice too – or a mixture of both. Thanks! :)

HEAB November 27, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Emily,
And I love your idea as the brancake for crust. So need to try that!

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Brekfast November 27, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Thanks! Adding sunflower seed butter to the brancake before microwaving adds flavor and a little saltiness. :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit November 27, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Great leftover ideas! My mom taught me how to make lefsa today, out of mashed potatoes. Yummy. Will blog about it in a few hours :-)

grocery goddess jen November 27, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I bet the motivator of CD will show up sooner or later…they must read the blog, after all! That’s really funny that someone said that :)

We really don’t have that many leftovers, as we’re a small group and divided stuff up. That’s okay with me, though!

Katy (The Singing Runner) November 27, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I want to try the oatmeal! Looks delicious! :)

polly November 27, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Lurve you! I love all your eats and YAY for orange. :P

I cannot wait to hug my orange friend again soon. So funny about that random fan yelling for Chris! hehe. My girl is doing much better, thank goodness. So sad when your baby hurts and you cannot help them! She has not had a migraine in several months, but boy it was a BAD one today.

p.s. I need some pumpkin oats. :D They look yummy. Have you tried goat cheese and blueberries and chicken all in a big bowl of mess? So yummy. I think you’d lurve. XO

HEAB November 27, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Polly,
So sorry about Abbi’s headache. I hope she’s feeling 100% soon, and no I have not tried goat cheese, blueberries, and chicken together yet…sounds like the perfect salad to me. ;) Lurve YOU!

lindsay (goodiesgalore November 27, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Side note- Cooking up your mustard stir fry right now.

HEAB November 27, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Lindsay,
Enjoy :)

Nellie (The Midlife Cruiser) November 27, 2010 at 6:05 pm

DANG!! Your whole life must revolve around recipes and food!! I’ve never seen so many creative ideas come out of one noggin :)
Can’t wait to try the turkey, quinoa, and pumpkin!

HEAB November 27, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Nellie,
Yep, recipes, food, and lot of diapers these days. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) November 27, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Love your Thanksgiving casserole!! That sounds SO good! Never thought about mixing turkey with quinoa. Awesome!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 27, 2010 at 7:34 pm

the pumpkin pie oatmeal looks GREAT! i have to say the heavy whipped cream looks freakin delish! not vegan, not dairy free, but oh so good looking!

the milk frother/whipper gadget. Have seen those mentioned around the sphere before but now I just may have to get one. Not that I need any more kitchen stuff, but ya now, it looks fun!

CD being “serenaded” during his race with that song. Priceless. Lol!

HEAB November 27, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Averie,
Get the frother – takes up very little room in the kitchen and so worth it. Wonder how it would would work with So Delicious coconut milk creamer? ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 27, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with that cute little bundle of yours! You can never go wrong with pumpkin oats!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 27, 2010 at 8:39 pm

The yeller wasn’t me, but in a way it’s kind of funny yet kind of creepy. hahaha!!!

Moni'sMeals November 27, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Easy Enough!

Loving that oatmeal..yum!

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher November 27, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Consume. THEN smile. I love that.
But how about: SMILE. CONSUME. Then smile again.

HEAB November 27, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Alexia,
Yes, I think I like that better. :)

Namaste Gurl November 28, 2010 at 1:28 am

Oh, I SOOOO made pumpkin oats day after thanksgiving as well. Except, wait, I cheated– using canned libby’s that is :) Heck, that’s what I call using my “thanksgiving leftovers” :)
I’m actually going to bust into a 5 pound pumpkin that’s been laying around mi casa for awhile– going to make a pumpkin coconut soup which I’m quite excited about. xoxo

HEAB November 28, 2010 at 3:08 am

Namaste Gurl,
I cheated too – Libby’s is so worth it though. Enjoy your soup – wish I could be there to join you for a big bowl! :)

Melissa @ I Never Imagined November 28, 2010 at 2:29 am

Oh my gosh! Summer is famous! Well, it was only a matter of time :)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free November 28, 2010 at 8:10 am

I LOVE Thanksgiving leftovers!!!! It is my favorite! Too bad I don’t have any :( Ugh! Can I have yours??

HEAB November 28, 2010 at 9:00 am

Alex,
I would gladly share with you, but unfortunately, my leftovers are all gone. :(

Jill November 28, 2010 at 10:49 am

I actually ate my Thanksgiving dinner last night, so I’ll be having some leftovers today. Will probably use some of my leftover cranberry sauce to make a turkey and cranberry sandwich. I made cranberry sauce with 1/2 water and 1/2 orange juice (instead of all water) and a few tablespoons of orange marmalade and it was sooo good! I am one of those strange people who legitimately LOVES cranberry sauce :-)

Think I need a milk frother too. You can never have too many kitchen toys!

HEAB November 28, 2010 at 10:53 am

Jill,
I like cranberry sauce too, and your version sounds delicious. I’m so happy you were able to spend some time at home over the holiday, and yes, buy the milk frother! It doesn’t take up too much room. ;)

Clairerose C November 28, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Yay for sweet potatoes!!! My Pop used to love them them when I was growing up.I was always afraid to try them for some reason.Honestly,You’re the one who got me to try them as an adult.I tried sweet tater fries,but still had an aversion to regular sweet taters until I started reading your blog.I wish I tried them with my Dad.Thank you for helping me open up to them.I don’t know how I survived without them!hehe:-)cc

HEAB November 28, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Clairerose,
Really? Oh wow, that makes me so happy to know that you have jumped on the sweet potato band wagon. Better late than never, right? :)

Clairerose C November 28, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Exactly!I’m definitely making up for lost time:-)cc

{ 1 trackback }