DHA Bowls

by HEAB on December 9, 2010

Before I begin today’s post, I wanted to send out a special thank you to Chocolate Covered Katie for hosting my virtual baby shower and to all of my fellow bloggers & readers who participated. Reading through all of your recipes and kind words made me feel so special and loved. That was truly the best shower I’ve ever been given, and I cannot thank you all enough. The recipes were all amazing (you know me so well!), and I cannot wait to try them. My goal is to showcase one of the recipes each week and do some sort of baby shower recipe series. Thanks again. Love you guys!

Look, we got our Christmas tree up and decorated…

Summer’s first Christmas – so exciting. :)

I’ve been trying to eat more foods rich in DHA so that Summer gets a good dose of of Omega-3′s from my breast milk, and I’ve been loving on some un-baked casserole bowls lately…

Inspired by Melissa’s Tarragon Sardine Salad, I finally used up a tin of sardines that has been sitting in our cabinet for a couple of months. First, I drained the sardines and then minced them in the food processor with 1 stalk of celery and some Dijon mustard. I then stirred the sardine mixture together with 1 cup of cooked brown rice and 1 TBSP butter. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any tarragon, but this was still a tasty dish. Thanks Melissa.

The following is my favorite way to get in my Omega-3′s…it’s so good. You must try!

My bowl contained 1 can of wild Alaskan salmon stirred together with 1 cup cooked quinoa, 1 TBSP butter, 1 TBSP Brewer’s yeast, and pepper. I know it sounds like an odd combo, but I love it! I’ve been eating Brewer’s yeast to try and up milk supply. For the longest time, I thought it was the same as nutritional yeast, but it’s not. According to this website: Brewers yeast is a one-celled fungus, and used in brewing of beer. Brewers yeast is actually a by-product of the brewing process. Nutritional yeast is grown on molasses as a nutritional supplement. Neither are the same types of yeast as you use baking bread for example. Brewers yeast and nutritional yeast are not alive; they are deactivated. Brewers yeast has a more bitter taste than nutritional yeast. Many people say that nutritional yeast has a cheese flavor and like to add it to popcorn and pasta sauces…Brewers yeast has always been a good source of the very important B vitamins and chromium. If your main interest is the chromium, you should choose brewers yeast as a good source of chromium. If your main interest is B vitamins, you could choose either, but it does appear that the nutritional yeast has more of the B vitamins. Both of these yeast’s will give you a good source of non-animal protein.

I’ve read that brewer’s yeast and nutritional yeast can both help increase milk supply in lactating women, but brewer’s yeast seems to be more common. I bought mine from the supplement section at Whole Foods, and I have to say that I really like it. Is that weird? Any brewer’s yeast fans out there, and if so, how do you prefer to eat it?

P.S. Have you purchased your Blogger Babes Calendar yet? Remember, 100% of the proceeds go toward cancer research, and for you viewing pleasure, you can click here to see the photos that didn’t make the cut.

Christin@purplebirdblog December 9, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I have yet to try the brewer’s yeast, but I have been thinking about it.

I’m glad you loved your shower! Katie is such a sweetheart, seriously! :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete December 9, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Heather your tree looks great! How exciting for Summer to have her first Christmas so early in her life :)

I have never heard of Brewer’s Yeast, but I hope if works out for you! The salmon/quinoa bowl looks delicious!

Katie December 9, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I don’t really know what the difference between brewers and nutritional yeast is, taste-wise. Is it still cheesy?

I don’t think that combos sounds weird at all. I posted a recipe using tuna, quinoa, nutritional yeast and mustard this past spring. I love it.

HEAB December 9, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Katie,
I read that Brewer’s yeast is less cheesy and more bitter, but I think it still has that nutty/cheesy flavor. I actually like it more than nooch.

HEAB December 9, 2010 at 2:46 pm

P.S. I totally should have added mustard – next time for sure!

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie December 9, 2010 at 12:18 pm

That does sound like an odd combo but very healthy :)
I have had a package of organic quinoa sitting in my pantry for about six months now.
I still can’t decide what to do with the damn thing.
Maybe I’ll do this!

Paige @ The Gravy Boat December 9, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I’ve never tried brewers yeast, just nutritional yeast. Meghan Telpner did a post on this topic this week also, and her post and yours have definitely assisted me in figuring out what’s going on with both of these things…I didn’t know the difference! I know nutritional yeast is often fortified with B12…do you know if they do the same for nutritional yeast?

HEAB December 9, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Paige,
Not sure, the brewer’s yeast I bought is not fortified with B12, but it does contain just a bit on its own.

Little Bookworm December 9, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Glad you liked the shower. :) Katie is great!

Cynthia (It All Changes) December 9, 2010 at 12:35 pm

You look fabulous Heather! So does Summer :-)

That calendar is going to be my new workout planner.

HEAB December 9, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Awesome Cynthia – thanks so much for purchasing the calendar!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 9, 2010 at 12:46 pm

You look absolutely incredible after just having Summer!

HEAB December 9, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Thanks Chelsey. :)

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com December 9, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I LOVE the picture of you and Summer. That is so neat that they did that for you, you are very loved:) Yummy DHA bowl!

Mama Pea December 9, 2010 at 1:18 pm

This is going to be such a special Christmas for you, HEAB. I hope you treasure every second!

Ana December 9, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I love how you are always trying your best in nutrition to make sure your baby is getting the best from you, throughout pregnancy and now with the lactation, that is awesome Heather, and definitely the way to go!!
I never had brewer’s yeast, but I have been enjoying sprinkling nutritional yeast on my soups and using it in cream sauces made with almond milk. I also sprinkled on the inside of flourless crepes the other day and it was yummy (although I much prefer goat cheese inside my crepes! or Parmesan, super delicious too!))
You look great Heather! And I can just imagine your excitement with the first Christmas with Summer!

HEAB December 9, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Ana,
Goat cheese will always be preferred in the HEAB kitchen as well. ;)

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 9, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Hi Hot Mama!! I mean that in all sincerity b/c you’re lookin’ dang good there for just recently giving birth :) Your body, your hair, your radiant smile, you are still glowing, despite not sleeping and nursing/pumping being your FT job these days!

DHA…salmon, too, if fish is not an issue. I never craved salmon like i did while I was preg and 1st year or so of nursing. I had it a few times but the food allergy stuff (more so than vegan stuff) prevents me from eating most fish. But yeah, DHA is great for everyone! Helps our brains work better :)

As for brewer’s and nooch….nooch also has more protein (pretty sure) oz for oz compared to brewer’s. Brewer’s tho is reported to be awesome for milk production..but nooch ranks right up there too. Can’t go wrong with either :)

Melissa…such a sweetheart, too!

melissa @ the delicate place December 9, 2010 at 1:49 pm

gah you are so sweet! thanks for the ping. also, summer. TINY!!!!!!!! cuteness overload for sure. what an exciting time to re-inspire this time of year with a baby :) i’m sure the G-parents and in laws are loving this!

HEAB December 9, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Melissa,
Yes, they are. My mom would be over here 24/7 is she could, but I make her go home. Hehe. Thanks again for the yummy recipe!

Alina December 9, 2010 at 1:53 pm

MMMM brewers yeast!!!!! :P I am not nursing but I ‘ve heard Fenugreek is great for nursing! Maybe check it out. It does smell very different. I use seeds and greens for hormonal issues.

HEAB December 9, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Alina,
I take 3 Fenugreek caps 3 times a day. I feel like a walking pancake – I reek of maple syrup…which is kind of fun. Guess I could smell much worse. ;)

Alina December 9, 2010 at 5:40 pm

wow, do you feel it is working? I am taking it to increase progesterone, estrogene. yes it’s possible to smell worse ;) … can’t say my persian friends didn’t warn me ahead of time….. i guess i had to test it out for myself. it’s my ethnic spice/food experiment :) . you should write a post on breast feeding supplements/foods, foods/strategies for anemia, and hormone balancing. i’ve been trying to read through your posts about hormones as well as anything i can find out there on the web. Love your posts!!!!

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 9, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Interesting! :)

Love the tree and Merry (first) Christmas to Summer! :)

Clare @ Fitting It All In December 9, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Thanks for explaining the different yeasts. I love nutritional, but my boyfriend’s mother uses brewers and I never knew why

Asha December 9, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Heather! I don’t really leave comments but am trying to do so. I just have to tell you that I adore your blog and am so impressed you can share so much wonderful stuff on it while having a newborn!

I am SOOO afraid of being pregnant and giving birth, so its great to hear you bloggin about everything involved.

And your salmon looks amazing…I just bought tons of canned wild salmon!

Also, try mixing almond butter with the wild salmon. Thats what I do to make a “salmon salad” a la tuna salad. To me it tastes sooo delicious with the creamy almond butter, and its great on top of greens.

I’m so happy you are a nut butter fan and super cool strong woman and Mom :)

Lots of love,

Asha

HEAB December 9, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Asha,
Wow, thanks so much for your sweet comment, and if it makes you feel any better, I used to be scared to death of pregnancy as well. Just keep in mind your body was made to birth a child, and as long as you eat well and stay active, that beautiful baby and mama will be just fine.

Salmon + almond butter…you know, I don’t think I’ve ever tried that combo. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday December 9, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Thyme works really well with sardines too if you happen to have that on hand instead.

HEAB December 9, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Samantha,
I do – thanks! :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) December 9, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Yay virtual baby shower! I was so tickled by the idea when Katie first proposed it. Glad you enjoyed that. :)

Summer is just a little bundle of cuteness and it’s slaying me!

Virginia December 9, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Mmm… I love brewer’s yeast on popcorn popped with sesame oil. Sounds weird but is sooo good!

HEAB December 9, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Virginia,
I’ve had nooch on popcorn, but not the brewer’s yeast, and I think pairing it with sesame oil sounds amazing! Need to try that. Thx!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 9, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Thanks for the info on the different yeasts. I have heard people love brewer’s yeast and have not tried it yet. You know I am going baby steps on nooch right now too, but I am definitely liking it so far.

You look great and your tree is beautiful!

HEAB December 9, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Thanks Sarena. I hope the nooch experiments are going okay. :)

Emily December 9, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Aww you and Summer are so cute together. Your tree is pretty!

I’ve never had brewer’s yeast before, but I bet I’d like it. I have some nutritional yeast that I throw into things every now and then.

Still reading! Just not commenting too much. :)

HEAB December 11, 2010 at 6:09 am

Thanks Emily and no worries about not commenting! :)

lorne December 9, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Hey Heather,
Interestingly I was told last week by my wholefoods store lady that these two yeasts are the same… I’m thinking I need to revisit her and discuss it further. Not sure if I mentioned before but I am taking fennel supplements to aid milk production.

HEAB December 11, 2010 at 6:11 am

Lorne, yep, I’m taking fennel as well, and fennugreek and goat’s rue and domperidone and drinking tons of Mother’s Milk tea. I feel like one big walking pancake as I reek of maple syrup due to the fennugreek. :) How’s your supply doing?

Healthy Choc December 9, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Congrats on getting the Christmas tree up!!!!!!!!! =D We haven’t done ours yet…

chocolate-covered katie December 9, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Love you! But you should know that by now :) .

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} December 9, 2010 at 5:33 pm

I have never tried sardines. Something about the name scares me. Do they taste like fish? I hate fishy tasting fish. (That sounds weird.)

HEAB December 9, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Maryea,
Yeah, pretty fishy, but good if you add seasonings and various flavors. I love tuna on its own, but not sardines. So good for you but a bit too fishy for my taste.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 9, 2010 at 5:34 pm

The shower was such a wonderful idea :) yummy eats!

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse December 9, 2010 at 5:38 pm

So glad you liked it! Lots of love x
(Lots of love for canned salmon too – just as good as the fresh stuff and sooo much cheaper :-) )

kristine December 9, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I wish I could eat sardines and herring, they are so healthy…. but I am terrified of fish, and they scare me when I open the can :-0!!!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 9, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Your daughter is so adorable! Congratulations, and enjoy her first Christmas :)

Baking 'n' Books December 9, 2010 at 6:50 pm

100% to charity? That’s a Christmas gift to give! I haven’t checked out the baby shower – had no idea, but of course you deserve the love ;) .

That picture of you and lil’ Summer is just adorable. You are radiating!

(BTW, I’m having a little dilemma on my blog. I know you are the busiest blogger and mom ever! but, would love your opinion if you ever want to flit over there for a quick nanosecond ;) – if not, forget I asked! :) )

Annie@stronghealthyfit December 9, 2010 at 8:29 pm

I LOVE Brewer’s yeast, and growing up my Mom would put it on popcorn (after the butter!). I thought it was the same as nutritional yeast, bc I buy it at my health food store in bulk and it is labeled “nutritional yeast” but tastes the same as the brewer’s yeast I’d eaten for years…. ? These days, I love it on sauteed veggies.

HEAB December 9, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Annie,
Yeah, I’ve been told they are the same thing as well but after doing a little research, they are in fact different. I’ve never seen Brewer’s yeast in bulk bins. I know Whole Foods sells nutritional yeast in bulk, but the only place I can find the brewers yeast is in the supplement section.

Olivia R. December 9, 2010 at 9:12 pm

I love how creative you are! I’ve definetley been ‘embarrassed’ to put odd food combinations on my blog…I love how you are basically KNOWN for that. :D
You and Summer look great! She’s such a cutie!! Love your blog.
-olivia

HEAB December 9, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Olivia,
Ha – I love it too. No shame in odd combos here. ;)

Emily December 9, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Yayyy for the tree and Summer’s first Christmas! Thinking of you guys so often, enjoy the holiday magic :)

HEAB December 9, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Thanks Emily. :)

Liz @ IHeartVegetables December 9, 2010 at 10:09 pm

I hope you, CD and summer have a GREAT First Christmas together!!! :)

T December 9, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Wonderful combinations. Truly. Salmon is excellent for DHA. I believe walnuts might be a good source too, and flaxseed oil and hemp seed also.

A question about the single-serving oven muffin. WOuld that work with almond flour?

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 12:52 am

T, I’m not sure as I’ve never tried almond flour in the single-serving, but I don’t see why not. I’m thinking it should work…I need to try that.

Namaste Gurl December 9, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Awwh, I couldn’t be more excited for the addition of little Summer to you and CD’s annual Christmas. How, how fun indeed :)

Never tried brewers yeast, but nutritional yeast is a large component in my kitchen cooking :) Good to know it has a lot of b vitamins, as that’s a hard one to find in veggie foods!

kathleen December 10, 2010 at 12:14 am

so i am curious, what makes you think you don’t produce enough milk? mostly wondering because i am due (like now) with my first and all the books and classes i’ve read/taken say that as long as the baby wets enough diapers you are producing enough milk and you don’t need to worry even though some feedings might not produce milk at all while your body matches supply with baby’s demand… eek. maybe i am just starting to worry about everything now that labor is around the corner and i am second guessing my preparedness.

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 1:02 am

Kathleen,
Summer would hardly nurse those first few days as she was tiny and born about 12 days early. I had trouble getting a good latch as well. So, the lactation consultant at the hospital sent us home with a pump, and I was told to nurse/pump every 2 hours to ensure my milk would come in. I knew Summer didn’t need much those first few days, and I figured once my milk came in, everything would be okay. Well, it never really came in, and when our lactation consultant came to the house (6 days after Summer was born), we weighed Summer before and after a nursing session, and she only got 3 ml from me after 45 minutes of nursing. That’s about 1/10 of an ounce, and at that time, she needed about 2 ounces per feeding. Since then, we’ve have to supplement most feedings with formula as I don’t make enough to satiate her. She now takes 3 to 4 ounces per feeding, and at the most, I’ve only been able to produce 1.5 ounces at a time. It’s definitely an improvement but still not enough. Don’t let my experience worry you. Most women are able to produce plenty of milk, but from what I’ve learned there are some of us who simply can’t, no matter what we do. So, I’ve decided to stick with it for as long as I can, even if I do have to give Summer some formula. The nursing itself has gotten a lot better, and at least I’m giving Summer all that I can. Even a little bit of breast milk is better than none. Best of luck to you, and my advice is to nurse as much as you can those first few days – wake the baby up every 2 to 3 hours, and get him/her on your boob. Ask for help and drink a ton of water (nobody told me that in the beginning). You’re going to be just fine. :)

Kari December 10, 2010 at 9:04 am

Hey Heather!

Short-time blog-stalker, first post. I had my first baby almost 10 months ago and had issues with milk supply. I added tons of foods/supplements to my regimen (fenugreek, nutritional yeast, oatmeal, etc), especially since I had to limit some foods (dairy) due to her intolerance–her name is Wren, btw. I found that the most reliable way to increase supply was centered around the frequency of pumps or nursing. Once an evening, I would have a Power Pump Hour, so I’d pump 15 minutes, wait 15, pump 15, wait 15, and pump again for 15. I wish I’d known towards the beginning what I learned months and month down the road……but long too late for supplementation to not be introduced, according to the Pediatrician. Eventually, around 4 months, my baby preferred a bottle to nursing, so I pumped 5 more months (6 times a day) and finally, out of exhaustion and constant coaxing by my husband that it wasn’t worth it, I stopped, and regret it frequently. I never got more than 2 oz a session, and didn’t learn what to do before she started needing more than I could offer. I am only writing because I don’t want that to happen to you. I was devastated. Anyway, frequency seemed to be the key, and I talked with several lactation consultants, met with one consultant many, many times, and accumulated hours in personal research–what else is there to do at a pump session at 2am? It’s definitely been a hard thing for me to accept. I really strived to do everything as naturally as possible. I didn’t have any pain medication during labor and I was even given Pitocin to speed up the labor, which I heard makes labor even worse but have nothing to compare it to. I even had some sensitive area repeatedly tear during pumping–becareful not to use salves too often because the skin gets too soft………….(blech!). It’s hard to not feel like a failure, especially considering all I went through (while working full-time), so I wish you all the best of luck. You’re doing a great thing, and I’m cheering for you all the way! You will succeed.

Hmmmm….I just re-read the post and it seemed kind of disheartening, but it isn’t meant to discourage. You can succeed where I did not. Little HEABlet is still young enough.

Good Luck!!!!

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! December 10, 2010 at 10:07 am

Your Christmas tree and the little one are too cute!! I have never heard of Brewers yeast, and definitley didn’t know about all of the benefits. I will have to grab some next time I’m at Whole Foods!

Ann December 10, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Brewer’s yeast… don’t they make Vegemite from that stuff? In which case, eeewwww: Vegemite always struck me as smelling and tasting like something you’d use in road construction.

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Ann,
I’ve never had Vegemite, but I just googled it to see if it was made from brewer’s yeast. It is! Love Brewer’s yeast, but always been scared to try Vegemite. I’d much rather spread nut butter on my toast than you very much. ;)

Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 12, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Oooh! I have never heard of brewers yeast- at least, not in this sense! Sounds like a great supplement. Next time my nutritional yeast runs out I’ll grab some of this to compare!