One Button Rice Pudding

by HEAB on December 10, 2010

Reader Marty sent me this recipe for baked rice pudding earlier this week, and I’ve been drooling over it ever since. Since I was up at 5 AM after Summer went back to sleep, I decided to make myself some breakfast for later, and I wanted rice pudding. Below is my HEABifed version.

Into the rice cooker went 1 cup brown basmati rice, 2 cups HEABified coconut milk mixed with 2 TBSP tapioca starch, 2 cups water, 2 small chopped Honeycrisp apples, 1/4 cup raisins, 1 tsp vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt.

Hit on button and go back to bed. Wake up to your house smelling amazing and this…

So creamy and filled with cooked apples and plump raisins. I think I could eat this every morning!

Top with crunchy peanut butter…although I think it would be even better topped with coconut butter. Hmm, I know what I’m eating for lunch today!

OK, gotta go. Summer has started smiling, and I just want to go look at her. :)

Victoria (District Chocoholic) December 10, 2010 at 10:59 am

Chocolate coconut butter on top. I’m addicted now, thanks to your recipe :) .

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Victoria,
You’re welcome. ;)

Little Bookworm December 10, 2010 at 11:03 am

Now I really want rice pudding. Your version sounds amazing Heather! :) Happy Friday to you, CD and Summer as well!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete December 10, 2010 at 11:18 am

It looks good, but the apples look so strange — they almost remind me of little cuts of fish?!?!

I bet it tasted good with a big pile of PB :)

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Holly,
Good thing they didn’t taste like fish! ;)

aubrey December 10, 2010 at 11:20 am

Mmmmm I love rice pudding!!!

Annie@stronghealthyfit December 10, 2010 at 11:22 am

That looks SO good! You could make that for a crowd for a festive breakfast around the holidays.

Christin@purplebirdblog December 10, 2010 at 11:28 am

Ohhhhhh man, that sounds brilliant! I am going to have to replicate this one for sure! :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood December 10, 2010 at 11:37 am

You totally took that recipe right out of my head! I was going to make rice pudding tonight, but I was going to substitute it with amaranth instead. But yours look divine! And of course, a smiling baby is the greatest thing in the world. When my little cousin smiled at me when he was a month old, I wanted to squeeze him. Of course, I was only 11. ;)

Mel December 10, 2010 at 11:37 am

Wonder if I could make something similar in the crockpot? That looks divine!

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 1:26 pm
Natalia - a side of simple December 10, 2010 at 11:44 am

Aw, please post more pictures of Summer soon. I want to see that beautiful head of hair ;)

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Natalia,
OK, I promise. :)

melissa @ the delicate place December 10, 2010 at 11:48 am

aww smiling :) already! how long did that take to cook in the rice cooker? my husband would love this!

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Melissa,
I’m not sure as I went back to bed, but I’m thinking probably about 25 to 30 minutes?

Paige @ Running Around Normal December 10, 2010 at 11:50 am

Oh wow – that sounds fabulous! Love that it was so easy peasy too!

Cynthia (It All Changes) December 10, 2010 at 12:03 pm

You are magical Heather. This is printed and going in my rice cooker ASAP! I miss my rice pudding. This will be perfect.

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Cynthia,
Enjoy! :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 10, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Aw, too sweet! I love baby smiles! I am a huge fan of rice pudding especially in the winter months. I made it with pumpkin for the first time this year and it was so good! We bruleed it too…the crunchy sugar on top was incredible! I love the rice cooker idea…now I need to get one!

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Sarena,
Bruleed pumpkin rice pudding?!? Oh my, I bet that was sooo good!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 10, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I have posted before that I’ve been tempted to get a rice cooker. And then every time I say, no, I dont eat rice that often/cook rice that often/I have a stovetop/I have a crockpot…and talk myself out of it…I see a recipe like this! And of course, it can be made on the stove or in the crockpot probably, but the rice cooker, hitting one button, yeah, that’s nice!

Anything w/ coconut milk, apples, raisin, cinny, ginger, and oh coconut butter/oil on top would just add even an extra special delish factor…well, this one is a keeper!

Have a great weekend and hope the pre holiday season is going great for you and the new family member! :)

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Averie, I have a really cheap rice cooker – I think it was about $20 from Target. Had it for almost 10 years now. It’s great – can cook any kind of grain in it, including oats. Makes everything soooo easy. Can throw in veggies too and steam them. I love that thing. Hope you have a wonderful weekend as well. :)

Josie December 10, 2010 at 12:41 pm

daang, that looks good!

Erica December 10, 2010 at 1:06 pm

wow- yum! I’d eat this for breakfast, lunch or a snack!! I think we need to see a pic of the smile ;)

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Erica,
OK, I’ll see if I can get Summer to cooperate. :)

Ricki December 10, 2010 at 1:26 pm

So glad you liked the recipe! I’ve had it with diced apples as well as grated (doesn’t need to bake as long) and loved both. Something about baking the rice really does make it more comforting, doesn’t it? :)

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Ricki,
So sorry you got spammed – silly Worpress. Thanks so much for your awesome blog and recipes. A reader directed me to your site, and I love it! The rice pudding was great – just ate more for lunch. Thanks again, and please give Elsie and Chaser a big smooch from HEAB. :)

Kate @ Walking in the Rain December 10, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Oh yum, that looks amazing. I wonder if you could do the same thing in a crock pot.

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Kate,
Yep: http://lucifavoriterecipes.blogspot.com/2007/12/crockpot-rice-pudding-vegan.html. Let me know if you try it. Sounds delicious!

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 10, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Sounds delicious… like all of your dishes! ;)

Corey @ the runner's cookie December 10, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I want to try rice for breakfast! Never had “sweet” rice, but I imagine I’d love it since I love oatmeal and oat bran for breakfast.
Baby smiles are so contagious :)

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Corey,
I’d imagine you would. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) December 10, 2010 at 2:16 pm

That looks so good!! I can’t help but wonder how a little butter would taste on top. YUM! :)

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 5:03 pm

J3nn,
I can tell you how it would taste…YUMMMAAAYYY. ;)

Ali December 10, 2010 at 2:26 pm

I am desperately wishing I had some coconut milk and rice in right now! This looks so delicious, though first shot of the cooked apple on top looks decidedly odd…

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) December 10, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Oh I am all over this one! Good idea, HEAB–I’m thinking double or triple and divide into tupperware for office breakfasts. I’ve been getting bored of my usual anyway!

Now if you could only catch a pic of Summer smiling. :)

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Diana,
I will try to get SJ to smile big for the camera. :)

Dea December 10, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I’m gonna try the rice pudding, but with almond milk (LOVE!)
also best line written in a blog:
“OK, gotta go. Summer has started smiling, and I just want to go look at her”

Cailin @ Stir Crazy December 10, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I love these types of slow cooker recipes… so easy and it sounds delicious! I think I’ll try that crockpot recipe you linked to.
Now, go enjoy that adorable little girl of yours!

Namaste Gurl December 10, 2010 at 2:47 pm

So excited how this amazing combination– I mean after all it does involve coconut :-) Wonder how it’d turn out without the tapioca starch, as I have nada….

Enjoy your day, Heather! xoxo

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Namaste,
I think it would turn out just fine. Really not sure if tapioca starch made much of a difference. You could always use cornstarch or arrowroot instead.

Jill December 10, 2010 at 2:49 pm

This is super off-topic, but I just had to tell you that I tried Jessalyn’s class at Sanctuary for Yoga this a.m. and REALLY liked it! Her sequences flowed so well and she kind of reminded me of my fave yoga instructor back in Pittsburgh. And of course the herbal “icy-hot” stuff she put on us in the middle of class was amazing too. So I’m glad you mentioned her to me and enjoy Summer’s smile :-D

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Jill,
Yay – I so thought about going to her class this morning, but then Summer and I didn’t wake up until 8. Hoping to make it to Monday’s class at 10:15. So glad you liked her. Her flows are always so beautiful and different every class. She makes me feel so graceful. :) I’m so excited you liked her!

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 5:00 pm

P.S. I bought raisins. :)

Jill December 10, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Oh no-remember, absolutely *no* sugar of any kind on this blog! LOL. Of course I’m totally being sarcastic, but I couldn’t resist! Seriously though, I approve of your purchase :-)

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Hehe, better than the chocolate covered raisins I was contemplating buying. ;)

grocery goddess jen December 10, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Yeah, that looks pretty darn delicious! And you can’t beat the ease of that cooking style.

Ana December 10, 2010 at 3:05 pm

“Summer has started smiling, and I just want to go look at her”
Love that sentence, you are my kind of mommy Heather!! I could not stop looking at my baby too! People would say those early smiles were from gas, I didn’t care, I loved it!! :-) And still do, I love seeing my son smile!

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Ana,
I think/hope we’re past the gas smiles. I swear she smiled for real today – melted my heart! :)

Emily December 10, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Heather, do you have any interesting recipes that use fresh oranges? I have an abundance from our CSA box, and am looking for ways to use them up!

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Emily,
I don’t, but I bet you could juice them and sub OJ for the pineapple juice in my Hawaiian baked sweet potatoes: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/12/02/my-favorite-sweet-p-recipe/. Here are some other ideas I found for you: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf63309759.tip.html :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) December 10, 2010 at 3:15 pm

This looks SO good. Definitely going to try it!

xo

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) December 10, 2010 at 3:32 pm

My favorite part of this post: Summer is smiling and I just want to go and look at her! :-)

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Deb, the rice pudding was so delish, but yeah, Summer’s smiling was my favorite part of the post too. :)

Jess@atasteofconfidence December 10, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Aw I love when babies start smiling early on. So cute!

Halley(Blunder Construction) December 10, 2010 at 3:44 pm

This looks delicious! Would have to do it in a quinoa version b/c I recently learned I’m allergic to rice. And nuts. So that’s a no on the almond butter topping. Life is hard!! :) I will live vicariously through your kitchen!

HEAB December 10, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Halley,
So sorry, but it would be just as good with quinoa! Can you still do coconut butter? I think it would be fab with coconut butter or unsweetened shredded coconut…and there’s always sunflower seed butter. :)

Meg December 10, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Mmm nothing lunch chunky apple rice pudding. Putting this in my to-do recipe book ;) Plus, it’s extremely Christmas-y :D

Baking 'n' Books December 10, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Anything with raisins!! :)

Hanna M. December 10, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Mmm, looks yummy! I don’t have a rice cooker, but I have to figure out some easy way to do it :)

Katie December 10, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Summer is smiling?!? Must be because of the smells coming from your rice cooker. ;)

Heather December 10, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I miss having rice for breakfast! My mom would make it for me all the time when I was younger. I may have to give this a try with my crock-pot!

Made some High Tea Oats this morning! Wonderfully creamy and delicious!

Love precious little baby smiles! Awww!

BroccoliHut December 10, 2010 at 8:26 pm

I guess I need to add rice cooker to my Christmas list!

Kiran December 11, 2010 at 12:26 am

Mmm…. I love rice pudding and am always making the Indian version for the Hubs. His ultimate favorite dessert!

michelle December 11, 2010 at 1:46 am

That definitely looks worth waking up at 5 a.m. to cook!

GirlonRaw December 11, 2010 at 6:05 am

What an easy way to make rice pudding. I made something kinda similar last week but without the rice cooker. I made a Thai Black Sticky Rice version (inspired after my honey/babymoon to Thailand recently). Still yet to post it but your post has reminded me too. What an easy delicious snack/dessert/meal you have brought to my attention. Great for when my bub arrives too! Hope all is well in mummahood!

HEAB December 11, 2010 at 9:49 am

Hi GirlonRaw,
Hope you’re feeling well and getting some rest these days. So cool you went to Thailand for your honey/babymoon. I’ve always wanted to go there as I hear it’s beautiful, and I love Thai food. Never made black sticky rice, but I think I need to soon. :)

PinkVision December 11, 2010 at 6:46 am

mmm, yummy! Have to get out my rice cooker again.

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast December 11, 2010 at 7:33 am

Genius Heather! I’m definitely making this.

hannahmarie December 11, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Yum! Brown rice with raisins, etc. is one of my favorite breakfasts but I’ve never tried this overnight process. It sounds so easy and it would be lovely to wake up to breakfast already made. Thanks!

Faith @ She Kneads December 11, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Rice is surprisingly good for breakfast! I used to eat rice for breakfast more when I was a vegan…. I think I might have to bring it back!

I had my first version of savory oats this morning! Oh my GOSH was it good! I’ve always done sweet versions, but I stirred in an egg and added some savory herbs and garlic powder and cayenne and peanut butter! YUM! Have you ever made your breakfast oats savory?

HEAB December 11, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Faith,
I love savory oats, everything from just butter + salt and pepper, to eggs, cheese and hummus. So yummy. :) Glad you enjoyed – your version sounds delicious.

Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 12, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Wow Heather, that looks amazing! I love rice pudding!!